Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• jj_cvjj_cv Member Posts: 5
    I wanted to get your thoughts on whether this is a good deal or not? Thank you in advance for your help! It's been interesting to sort through all the pricing, fees, and all that each dealers are throwing.

Car: Honda Civic EX-L w/ Navigation, Leather seats, Automatic
    MSRP: $24,555
    Price negotiated: $21,467 (not including tax)
    Lease Term: 36 months (12k miles/year)
    Money factor: 0.00075
    Guaranteed value after lease: 55%

Offer: $326 (including tax)
    + Drive off fee: $683 ( -- is this standard?)
    + 0 due at signing

Is this a fair deal? good deal? Any comments or suggestions?
    Please help :confuse: Thanks!!!
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited September 2013
    With your quoted figures, I compute that your payment should be around 285 a month including 8 percent sales tax (with only first payment due at signing). Somewhere, there is about $1200 unaccounted for that is bringing the payment to 326. What is this 683 drive off with zero due at signing? Drive off IS what you pay at signing. The quoted selling price is good at about 1600 below invoice but they appear to have added in 1200 somewhere. Request a written itemized accounting of all the costs they are using to calculate your payment. Also, ask if the $500 flex cash is still available.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    Manny - I think you should be at around $200 including 8 percent sales tax on a Civic LX with no trade in involved. That's based on a selling price of around 1500 below invoice and not factoring in flex cash.

Bill
    Thank you! I've only been dealing with them via email but I feel like they haven't been as up front with me and kept on insisiting that I'm the one that's not understanding their "straightforward" price...
    edited September 2013
    jj - Ha ha - yes, blame it on the customer. They are going to require you to sign a lease agreement when you go to the finance office. There should be no reason they can't provide you a written, detailed, itemized breakdown of what figures they are using to calculate the payment (unless of course, they have something hidden in there). This is a straight deal - no trade, right?

I'm in SoCal - who is the dealer?

Bill
    Straight deal, no trade.
    Dealer is in Nor Cal... big dealership.

I'm not going to go to them. I've only been dealing with them over email but they've been really rude and curt.

I asked for an itemized breakdown of what the figures are over email and they responded with "I gave you the info already" (money factor and residual). I'm still confused bc I know there will be other fees... drive off fees, registration, etc. I dont know what else...

I am really a noob at leasing cars so I don't want to just walk in there and let them empty out all my hard earned money. Anyways, they were super rude over email. I don't think I'll buy or lease from them at all.
    If a dealer is an up front organization, they should have no problem providing an itemized breakdown of what you are paying. After all, you will be expected to put your signature on the contract which will have all that info on it. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? You are right to expand your search - NorCal probably has numerous Honda dealers, and among them you should find some good ones who will compete for your business honestly. When the quotes start coming in, run them past the folks on this forum for opinion.

Keep plugging away - you're doing great!

Bill
  • manny616manny616 Member Posts: 11
    The best I've gotten is $215 w taxes included. Nothing due at lease signing except DMV fees of $235. Over 36 months that's $209. Not exactly $200 but close enough. Now the issue is availability of the color and interior I want. Tell you what...I'm not settling. I didn't go through all this to take whatever they give me. I'll keep you posted.
    You're right Manny - probably not gonna squeeze any more out - 215 is a good deal. When you settle on the color, make sure the car doesn't have dealer add-ons if you don't want them. Also, take a look at the car and take it for a ride before filling out credit app and paperwork. Let us know how it goes.

Bill
  • kemsskemss Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    i went to phillipsburg honda in NJ and i wanted to lease a 2013 honda civic Si sedan. i would be putting down 1000 cash for a 36 month lease, is this a good deal??

i need a quick response because i will be picking this up tomorrow..

If you are only working with one dealer, you're not in a good position to negotiate. The lease factor is very good. The residual is set by Honda. When you factor in the doc fee, the selling price is at invoice. I couldn't find any pricing examples on the Si, so I don't know what the market is. I would offer them 20,600 (that's 1000 below invoice when you add in their doc fee). They will probably balk at that because you have no competition going. If you have a couple days, I recommend emailing some dealers for quotes - try to get a bidding contest going - by Monday you might have a better deal than you currently have. If you can knock that 1000 off the selling price, your lease payment goes to around 215.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Bill G
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Hey Bill, I think this guy works for this particular Honda Dealer. He's posted a few lease work sheets like this in numerous Honda "prices paid" forums.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks nyc - it was late last nite when I posted - should've looked at his history - sure enough there's a similar post on a Pilot. Here I thought we had a shopper smart enough to get a written itemized breakdown - oh well. I guess he's got a lot of extra time on his hands.

Thanks,

Bill
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    [i]Hey Bill, I think this guy works for this particular Honda Dealer. He's posted a few lease work sheets like this in numerous Honda "prices paid" forums. [/i]

me n hubby took a buncha hours on slow internet and couldnt find worksheets posted over last months?!?! ridewithgdotcom had one but not here. many many many many members here ask when cheap lease is posted but but no one OBLIGES...................... no one.......................

least now everyone knows what to check for, right-see?

we luv'd the scans and hubby wants me to say pilot looks good n solid ((not great cause he hates any dollars down but hey) but the civic thingy in the other forum is way high. we would all benifit from such scans, yes???

we like to thank the poster kemss for the scans cause theyre appreciated by "at lease(least)" us
    [I]I'm still haggling over Honda's promotion.[/I]

hi manny616! if this is the current honda thingy on their site, it goes till november. other than that end-of-quarter-thingy(???) you have time to pplay the game with some of the dealers, yes????
    did you sign papers yet ??? (today still out here sat night 9/28)
    edited October 2013
    Re: Lease Civic LX [gmanusmc]
    Manny - I think you should be at around $200 including 8 percent sales tax on a Civic LX with no trade in involved. That's based on a selling price of around 1500 below invoice and not factoring in flex cash.
    Bill

your right bill. after all the research, thanks to youall here on edmunds and car_man and ridewithg and sum other sites, was onestop shopping.

we had we thought best selling price but internet commitment was no-go. no no no dealers comitted by cellphone

for civic first dealer we drove to said ok to sub-17k selling on saturday and me n my husband (driving behind me and my new civic) drove home tonight in rain :( with 2013 lx automatic with 8 odometer miles. this is philly. for us theres that honda loyalty or conquest 500 rebate and flex cash down early this month which was $1k total for me

its my car so i signed saturday and drove tonight with 191 for 35 months total. husband said now to be exact to help out he says and to write now quote 0 oop quote and no first payment no trade. 175.23+9%tax=191. dealers in se pa have a buncha civics on their lots now. 12k/36mos

wonderful salesguy said sales were Saturday good that day so they "took a loss" ha-ha-ha!

other honda lease was in may and same thing after all the mails and calls and being in the dealership was best for us. looked for nother cheap cr-v but none in the area for 2013s. dealers weren't moving on 2014s and the accord 2014s had very large mf so that was not going to happen. ymmv

important!!! honda finance now changed the leases starting oct 1. 1500 damage is now 500 which can be wayved to 1K and theirs now disposition-disposal-"turn-in" fee depending on model. 350 for my civic

may lease was 1500 damage and no turnin for crv. hondas better than most but their changing fast :(

thanks to all the posters and we hope this info able to help all you guys

Good job - enjoy your new Civic!

Bill G
    edited October 2013
    thanks bill g for your help on the forums these many last weeks... theres no replacing carmans stats but your so very helpful and friendly too!

thanx again! :)

p.s. husband just came back n said crappy firestone tires and lots of he said cabin road noise and the numbers for the mph is weird but i did not like the hyundai car. well its my civic car and happy :)
    edited October 2013
    When its time to get new tires, look at the Michelin primacy MXV4 H rated - highly rated with good reviews - they cost more but will last you at least 50,000 miles.

Bill G
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I just replaced the OEM Continental Run Flats on my 2011 328 xi about 3,000 miles ago with a set of Michelin MXM ZP (zero pressure). So far they seem to do "everything" better: Launch quicker, brake shorter, take corners at higher speeds without pitching and howling, have much higher grip, plus they make the car ride better and are much more forgiving.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• drseifdrseif Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2013
    Wanted to see if this is a good deal. 2013 Honda Civic Sedan SI MSRP $23,505. I live in OH so not sure how sales tax is figured. This is 36 mo., 10k mi/yr lease for $249/mo with sales tax included in that figure. No money down, other than first payment due at signing.

Also, can you tell me what the current money factor and residuals are for the Civic? Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    2013 Civic SI Sedan 36mo, 10K/yr lease
    .00019 MF and 61% residual.. subtract 2%, if it has Navigation.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kat007kat007 Member Posts: 1
    New to the Forum, First time planning to lease, I did some research and visited one dealer in NJ, I am not sure on what is the right price for lease and what it includes/excludes. Any help is appreciated, The dealer said $212 for LX (MSRP 19755) I didnt know until I read few posts here it didnt include tax. So when the prev posts say $200 all inclusive $0 down, what it doesnt include? Just Tax/Title/Regn - If I get for $200 including all fees (documentation, bank, destination, etc etc) then is it a good deal? What would be starting point I should start my negotiation? I tried to understand the $1000 Below Invoice and then from there calculate the Monthly Lease, it is very difficult to understand that process and also I am not able to find the correct money factor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • steelers7steelers7 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Hi, I am new to the forum. Negotiated a deal on the honda civic lx 2013 for 190$ after tax, Zero down 12k/36 month. DOC fee + new plate fee + 1st month payment = 550 at signing. Is this a good deal? :)
  • amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    Hi charles_guy, excuse me but what is the $500 flex cash down offer you are talking about? From Honda, I can only see the $500 offer for leasing (besides the grad, military).

My current Civic lease is up and it sucks to see Honda scale down the wear-tear allowance. Plus for any new lease now we need to pay additional $350 turn in fee? That is ridiculous.
    That's a pretty good deal steelers7.

Pull the trigger and enjoy your new Civic!

Now go out this Sunday and throw 4 TDs so we can get another win.

Bill G (fellow steelers fan)
  • steelers7steelers7 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Hello fellow civic- buyer,
    Lets keep it simple. When the dealer quotes 212$- he means before tax. So you will eventually pay more than 220 after tax. And he is just quoting the honda deal going on right now! I was able to bring it down to 190 AFTER tax, zero down. Here is how:
    1.First calculate a REASONABLE monthly payment. For Eg, MSRP of honda civic lx is around 19,000. You dont want to be paying more than 1% of the cost per month - that makes it 190$. This is now you TARGET!
    2.Get to know the discounts- Honda gives graduate discount of 500$ if you graduated within the last 2 yrs or if you will graduate in the next few months. Honda loyalty or conquest discount - if you own a honda model 2003 or later or you won their competitor models like toyota/mazda,etc - u get 500$ discount.
    3. Make a list of dealerships in your area. Email them with your SPECIFIC request - I asked for 185$ after tax, zero down- started low, but not too unreasonable. Few replied in the negative right away. After a few days, emailed them again - this time with information on discounts I could use. Thats when they really started talking.
    4. I finally called a dealer who said he could do it for 190 (which I was what I wanted) and fixed the price before I even went to the dealership.
    5. Know your credit score- the last ace up the dealer's sleeve is yoru credit score- they can increase the price by saying your credit is not 'good enough'. Check your credit score at sites like credit karma (its free)- if it is around 700, shoud be good enough. Dont let them arm twist you with the credit score technique. Show your own credit score for reference and they cant fool you!
    6. I had planned to walk out if they upped the price but they did not haggle any further- my score was pretty good as well.
    So, First FIX the price and dont let them sway you! This is a game where if you are not in a hurry to buy, you should not budge till you get your price! Hope this helps you out!
    hondas had company cash going most of the year (500-750 flex and 500 other). right now 500 other can be labeled grad/military/loyalty/conquest or whatnot. "secret" flexcash program revealed by former host car_man back in april: money dealer can put in deal. still going october

seems the most flex anyones getting last months in sevral forums is 500 (lease/purchase, civic/accord). bottom line is $1k total in the deal as customer rebate not dealer rebate so we pay tax :(

yeah new leases have reduced damage but "loyal" customers get that bumped to 1k from 500 per honda website. also loyal customers will have turnin charge wayved leasing or buying another. yeah not as good as before but bit better than other companies leases like toyota, nissan, etc. remember free gap insurance too :)
    thanx Bill

maybe when we need tires in the next 2-3 years they'll be the MXV5 or 6 :)

we had heavy rain lately and husband says that firestones arent as bad on highway as he thought they'd be so we'll just have to see how long they last
    not sure how tax is done in your state but if like ours with each payment (ours is 9%) you should get around 190-195 or even maybe less if dealer still has flex cash and your tax is less with 0down 0 out of pocket. dont confuse 0down with 0 out of pocket also called 0 drive off. best deal is to leave dealer in your new civic paying nothing with just 35 payments due. find a busy dealer on saturday afternoon when their making lottsa money from others and present your offer. thats what we did

good luck :)
    edited October 2013
    jus got home from saturday shopping an read post again and realized forgot to post links for this honda change:

http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/leasing/benefits

http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/pdf/2013_HFS_LeadershipLease.pdf

hubby also jus said to say also beats allys 2+k charge for "purchase at leases contract residual". he read on other forums here)
    edited October 2013
    taxes different for nyc. not sure how we do them. its not like taxpermonth like we have here

tryin to help out and read some past posts. maybe hostcar_man or memberdelta737h can help. hubby jus said doesnt know how to figure newyork lease taxes. sorry

edit: whoops: just saw your profile hasnt been back here since 10/2. anyways hope your doing ok if you leased
    read buncha past forum messages.thinking member delta737h live is your state. seems to be the lease guru an know how the tax/lease works

try messaging maybe?

good luck:)
  • mia2013mia2013 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a quote for $201/month (including tax) with $0 down/signing fees on a 36-month lease for a basic 2013 Honda Civic LX 4-door sedan. The dealership will make the first month's payment. This quote includes a Honda Care Sentinel 3/45 maintenance plan and a Lojack installment on the vehicle.

Please advise whether this is a good deal. Thank you!
  • tomtom18tomtom18 Member Posts: 8
    are they asking you to take care of the documents and tags? What was the drive-off of the vehicle?
  • carsavicarsavi Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I'm interested in leasing two Honda Civic LX Coupes before the end of December. In Miami, one dealer is advertising $99/mos (12K miles /36 months) and $3000 down, not including tax, tag & fees. Is this a good deal?

Would they be more willing to reduce the downpayment since I'm buying two cars at once?

Thank you,

Savi
    Beware of the $99 a month deals. When you add in the $3000 down and the TTL, you're at around $220 a month for this lease. You should be able to lease this vehicle for around 180-200 with zero due at signing or at the very most the first payment due at signing. If your credit score is anywhere around 700, you can easily lease with Honda with zero due at signing. You always want to put as little as possible down at lease signing.

Bill G
    Thank you so much! I thought it sounded too good to be true. I went back to previous posts and saw that you provided lots of valuable info. regarding negotiating the purchase price first and aiming for $1500 below invoice price. I think I will start there.

I appreciate the knowledge,

Savi
    does that zero down include the drive off? I'm confused... a dealer offerd me 175 including tax a month for 1200 drive off... which includes the document/tags, etc. But should I be aiming for 0 dollar drive off?
    Zero drive off aka zero due at signing means you sign the lease contract and take possession of the vehicle. The 175 with 1200 drive off offer you received equates to about 210 with zero drive off. You should be able to get the LX for around 180-200 with zero due at signing (36 mo/12k miles).

Bill G
    That clarifies things, thank you.

So, today

capital cost 16800
    Money factor 0.0005
    Lease 12000/year for 36

Monthly 168/not including tax....

drive off 1200

Is this a deal I should take? :/
    I am assuming this is an LX - what is your tax rate and are you in a state that taxes only the monthly payment? You are in a good position for an end of month deal. Are you dealing with multiple dealers? Competition really helps the negotiation process.

Bill
    It's in California...
    Tax rate is most likely between 8-9% - make an offer of 185/month including tax and you pay the first payment (185) at lease signing. I've just been estimating this - what is the residual percentage they are quoting? I have been estimating about 58%. If you can sit on this til fri or sat, you'll probably get their best deal.

Bill
    Bill,

I received the offers below from my first dealer:

2013 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Manual):
    Selling Price 15050
    Add #1 790
    Total Inc Acc. 15840 (Invoice - $17497)
    Trade Allowance 0
    Cash Difference 15840
    W.T.& L.A 6.5
    Electronic Fee 89.95
    Dealer Fees 699
    Total Taxable Amt 16635.45
    Lemon Law 2
    Miami-Dade Cty Tax 50
    FL Sales Tax 998.13
    New Tag Fee 425
    Amt to Finance/Lease $18,110.58

And for:
    2013 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Automatic):
    Total Inc Acc. 16580 (Invoice - $18238)
    W.T.& L.A 6.5
    Electronic Fee 89.95
    Dealer Fees 699
    Total Taxable Amt 17375.45
    Lemon Law 2
    Miami-Dade Cty Tax 50
    FL Sales Tax 1042.53
    New Tag Fee 425

Amt to Finance/Lease $18,894.98

The difference between invoice and sales price is $1,657. Can I still expect to get less by comparison shopping? Also, I have not asked about the graduate discount or flex pay yet which could also reduce the price. That may also help.

Savi
    so today, I negotiated a deal with 196 a month, tax included and zero dollar drive off for the Civic LX sedan automatic. 36 month /12k a year. Should I go for this deal? Thank you.
  • mia2013mia2013 Member Posts: 2
    No, the dealership is taking care of the documents, tag, registration, etc. It is $0 drvie-off.
    tomtom - sounds about where it should be but if I had the adjusted cap cost, lease money factor, and residual percentage, I could tell you for sure.

Thanks, Bill
    Savi - the pricing sounds decent until that dealer doc fee (699) is taken into consideration - that's a killer. I can give you a better opinion if you can provide the adjusted cap cost, lease money factor, and residual percentage. Also, it looks like in FL, you are required to pay sales tax on the adj cap cost, not just the monthly payment, is that correct?

Bill
This discussion has been closed.