Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi sjtash. The best way for consumers who do not qualify for manufacturers' supplier or employee purchase programs to get a good deal on a lease is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price on the car or truck that they want and then have the dealer calculate their payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for the 2009 Pilot is .00147, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 3.5%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    Hey sjtash. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for the 2009 Pilot is .00147 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. This factor is equivalent to an interest rate of around 3.5%. If you are going to lease an '09 Pilot, make sure that the dealer uses this money factor to calculate your payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    Carman,

The quote I received above with a $433 payment has a 0.0011 MF or I think that translates to 2.64%. This is what the two competing dealers quoted me here in Michigan. Much better than 0.00147...
  • Options
    You're absolutely correct, paulo6. I just found out today that Honda made an unscheduled enhancement to its lease program for the Accord, Civic, Odyssey, and Pilot a few days ago. Honda Finance's current buy rate for the '09 Pilot is indeed now .00110 for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

In addition to this new, improved money factor Honda added $1,250 dealer cash on leases of the '09 Pilot. Make sure to take this into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    denver2008denver2008 Member Posts: 13
    Car_man,

Great news about the reduced MF and dealer cash for leases. I am still undecided between leasing and purchasing. I realize this is the lease board, but the purchase board did not have any updates.

Did Honda start offering any dealer cash for the 2009 Pilot with these newly improved incentives? Any change in the interest rate for purcahae?

Thanks
  • Options
    scottbandscottband Member Posts: 10
    Can you tell me when the dealer cash and the lowered MF rate go until?

Also, can someone help me out. My current lease expires 11/25/08 and I will be leasing a new 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L with RES. Should I go ahead and do it now as you've stated that there is some dealer cash available and a lowered MF rate or should I wait and see if Honda has a Thanksgiving sale?

I see a lot of emails talking about money factor, price, residual, etc. Since I know exactly what car I want, does any of these items matter? Why don't I simply ask each Honda dealer what their lowest monthly payment is and their out the door price? Even if I go to 5 different Honda dealers, isn't the only thing that matters the out the door price and the monthly lease fee? Forgive my ignorance but why should I find out what all of these different items are? And please let me know the best process to get the lowest price? When I email several dealers, what should my question look like? I live in New Jersey and can lease a vehicle from Pennsylvania or New Jersey. Thanks
  • Options
    slt3slt3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 EX Pilot with the lease ending 2/4. We went in just to look and they are offering us the 2009 EX 4WD Pilot for $428 a month with 15K, 36 months, and $1496 at signing. Is this a reasonable deal? We have 3 payments left on our current lease- where do they "hide" that money? They say they eat the cost, but isn't it figured in somewhere? They said they are figuring the 2009 cost at $28,000 and the MSRP on the sticker is $32,665. We are in MA.

Should we wait till closer to our lease end?

What do you think we would be able to get a 2009 EX-L lease with 15K for 36 months at?

Thank you.
  • Options
    iamknottiamknott Member Posts: 82
    scottband,

Others might do this better, but I will take a shot at answering some of your questions.

Leasing is a complex transaction. Each dealer approaches the "sale" differently. To say this as nicely as possible, some are more straightforward and transparent than others. If you concentrate only on the monthly payment, they will notice that and gear their sales presentation accordingly. The salesman can quote you any monthly payment you want. Only later, in your meeting with the "finance guy" will you learn about the fees, capital cost reductions, etc. which will be necessary to get you that low monthly payment. You should ask for an itemized listing of all fees, payments, taxes, down payments, sales price of the car, etc. in the early stage so that you can compare the offers of more than one dealer and save yourself a lot of time. Once you have a detailed offer, you concentrate on negotiating any factor that affects the monthly payment, with the added benefit that you will sound like you know what you are talking about.

In my experience, most dealers do not want to quote you a price via e-mail. They want to get you into the dealership where they can play all the psychological sales games. Therefore, it may take several tries. You should begin by telling them which model and options you are interested in, how long the lease term should be, how many miles per year you intend to drive, and how large of a down payment you would be willing to make, if any. You should request a listing of all fees, the money factor, residual, etc. and ask for their best offer. You will soon learn who really wants to lease you a car.
  • Options
    pilotnoobpilotnoob Member Posts: 22
    Just signed this deal last night.

2009 EX-L 4WD ( no RES )

$1500.00 down

$423.00 a month for the next 35 months all taxes & fees are included in the payment.

RT 23 Honda in NJ

I probably left some money on the table, but everybody's got to eat.
  • Options
    I posted what I was about to sign earlier...here is what I picked up last Friday in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

2006 EX-L 4WD (no RES)
    Blue and Gray interior
    12/36
    No Down - Just $750 total at closing to incl. 1st month
    $433 OTD/month

Another dealer in Michian (30min drive) called before claiming they can beat this (payment would hve been in the $420s I believe) - But they wanted me to go there in person before they can commit, I stuck with the above...get free oil changes with scheduled service.
  • Options
    Yeah, denver2008, the enhanced lease program is good news. It's about time, too. I have been thinking that the Pilot's lease program was inadequate for some time now. Honda is not providing any cash incentives on cash purchases of the 2009 Pilot in November. It only has the new special lease program or 1.9% to 3.9% financing.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Sure scottband. Honda's new special lease program on the 2009 Pilot is scheduled to run through 1/5/2009. While anything is possible, I personally don't expect Honda to enhance its lease program any further for Thanksgiving.

The selling price and money factor enable you to figure out what the lowest possible lease payment is for the exact model that you want. If you know what sort of payment a lease at $500 or less over invoice comes out to you know what payment to shoot for in your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi slt3. Let's work up a lease on the truck that you are interested in without any of your remaining payments added in and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Honda Pilot EX 4WD that has an MSRP of $31,995 and a selling price of $28,237 ($500 over invoice minus $1,250 dealer cash) through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $372, assuming that you qualify for its top credit tier. This lease would have the $372 first month's payment and a $595 acquisition fee due at lease signing.for a total of $967. The payment for an otherwise identical EX-L 4WD would be around $420.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    hornsby377hornsby377 Member Posts: 6
    Hello. I was just quoted for a 09 EX 4WD lease. 36 months/ 12k per year

Can you review this information and let me know if this is a good deal??? I'd appreciate any advice.

Selling Price: 27,506.77
    MF: .00110
    Residual : $17,620

I'm in IL so I pay the sales tax of 7.5%.

$398 for 36 months, no money down except the 1st months payment, doc fee, and plate fees due at signing

To me it sounds like a good deal, but you guys are the experts! Thank you!
  • Options
    ragecageragecage Member Posts: 6
    This is a great deal. I am coming off an '07 EXL lease that I have to buy due to mileage. My deal was:

2K down
    12K miles per year
    $315 per month
    $19K buyout

I have almost 54K miles on my vehicle so I am forced to buy it
  • Options
    elitecruiseselitecruises Member Posts: 3
    I am similarly situated (in Delaware County, PA). Best price I have received is $519/mo. ttl. Don't know money factor, etc. This is what I was offered (opening shot from dealer):
    2009 Pilot EX-L RES (DVD) AWD on a three year 36,000 mile lease for $752.39 out of pocket which represents the first payment and $177.65 Tag/Title and you can have the Pilot for 35 more payments of $519.00/month and that includes tax. The purchase option and the end of term is $18,732.50.

Ideally, I want to pay less than $430/mo. ttl. Would appreciate dealer leads, suggestions. Thanks
  • Options
    indysabreindysabre Member Posts: 42
    Hi Car_man,

Can you or someone else please post what residual % is used for these calcs currently on 2009 Pilot EXL 4WD? Also do I then multiply it by the MSRP or MSRP plus destination to get the residual amount?

Most the dealers here in Indianapolis seem to be quoting right at invoice - 1250 lease cash with the .0011 MF but the Payments are closer 445 - 450 plus tax. One thing I have to check is whether the 450 is with the aq fee rolled into the payment (I probalby wouldn't mind paying the first payment plus aq fee at signing to get the lower monthly payment.

Psychologically, the 420 sounds so much better.

I would also think with the economy the way it is and lots of these sitting on their lots they should be able to go a few hundred below invoice to start considering the 1200 or so of hold back on these? Does that make sense?
  • Options
    RESIDUAL IS 52% ON AN 09 EX-L
  • Options
    I asked my dealer how much for an EX-L w/RES.per month with similar factors as I posted before.. he said it would about about $150 a month.
  • Options
    kari56kari56 Member Posts: 4
    Is there any type of quick calculation to determine the monthly price difference in a 12,000mile lease vs. 15,000 mile lease? I generally avergae only about 10,000 miles a year, but still woudl liek to have the extra mileage allowance if it's not that much more.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    On a Honda, going from 12K to 15K reduces the residual by 2% of MSRP.

So, on a $35K car, that's $700, divided by 36 payments = $19.44/mo.+ tax.. It will work out to slightly less than that, because of the lower residual, but $20/mo. is a good rough estimate..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks so much, kyfdx! That really helps.
  • Options
    2009 EX-L 4WD ( no RES )

$1500.00 down

$423.00 a month for the next 35 months all taxes & fees are included in the payment.

RT 23 Honda in NJ

Hi Pilotnoob,

Specifically who did you work with? That is a very good deal, much better than I have been getting with other dealerships in NJ!
  • Options
    I think you can do better...I got in Michigan $10/month more (433, inclusive of 6% sales tax) with NO DOWN. Just $750 out of pocket at closing
  • Options
    elitecruiseselitecruises Member Posts: 3
    $150 or $450/mo.? Please clarify. Thanks
  • Options
    hellmglecarhellmglecar Member Posts: 2
    Looking at the 2009 Touring w/Nav/Res...msrp 40,665

should the residual for all models be 52%...we were given 48%

what is the $1250 lease cash all about???
  • Options
    Sorry. yes 150 a month extra, on top of the 398 I was quoted.

So basically 450 a month
  • Options
    jdh226jdh226 Member Posts: 2
    Good morning. I'm about to sign a lease and it occurred to me that I should be doing a bit more research.

We're about to sign on a 2009 Touring Edition with DVD and running boards. We're putting $0. First payment is first month, taxes and tags. Our monthly is $535. The dealership is covering our last month payment on our Volvo ($562).

Is this a fair deal? Any insight would be great!

Thanks.
  • Options
    I just got this quote last night from RT 23 Honda in NJ:

Make: 2009 Honda
    Model: Pilot EX-L 4WD
    (price includes tax and fees)
    ---------
    36months 15,000miles
    $2500 Down
    36months @ $429

This included the $1250 dealer cash and the .0011 MF.

I haven't gotten any other quotes from actual dealers that beat this, however obviously people on the board are getting better deals (even from the same dealership- like pilotnoob).

Silly question, but how to you ask a dealer to drop the price based on a deal you saw on a message board?

Thank you!
  • Options
    fudgebarfudgebar Member Posts: 1
    I just got this deal for a Honda 2009 EX-L AWD Pilot from Potamkin Honda in NYC. Carman or someone with Leasing experience please evaluate my contract below and let me know if I got rooked...i think they got over on me but they swear I got a great deal...Im confused!

$437 per month ( tx inc) x 36months

$1000 down includes:

$68 cap cost reduction
    $437 1st month payment
    $450 registration fee
    $45 doc fee

Total monthly Lease payments = 15,732
    Total Payments for Lease = 16,295

Agreed upon value of Vehicle : $30,458

Cap Cost 32,098
    Est Res Value 18,291
    Adjusted Cap Cost 32,030
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    09 4x4 EXL $358/mo + tax, $999 down
    36 mos. based on 12,000 mile/year, .20/mile excess,
    MSRP of $35,830, 51% residual (18,274) lease end.
    good for the month but limited choice
    there should be standard aquisition fee 595.00
    http://www.boch.com/bochhtml/bochhonda/pages/HondaSpecials.aspx
  • Options
    His name was Allen

Has anyone tried to use a car buying program such as Costco or BJ's have?

I think that they may come in at invoice, but be sure to ask for the $1250.00 dealer cash that is available.
  • Options
    I tried Costco service to buy Honda before and that given contact person at the dealer didn't even call or email back.
  • Options
    panictourpanictour Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the information. This board is great. I'm assembling quotes from several dealers for a LX lease. Here is the 1st one in the door.

New 2009 Honda Pilot LX 4WD.......cash purchase = $26,800, tax @ 7% is $1,876.00, tags, title, registration and state doc fee are $143.50 for a total sale price of $28,819.50.

Lease using 0 down, 12,000 miles per year, 36 months x $383.31

Includes gap insurance, no disposition fee at the end, and $1,500 toward excess wear and tear at the end of the lease.
    Residual value is $15,231.15
    Money factor is .0011.
  • Options
    pilotsahmpilotsahm Member Posts: 6
    Hi we too are looking for a new pilot.we sadly are going to replace our ody. we have been activly looking online for prices advice etc...
    first off carsdirect.com for a price quote is a great start.
    secondly,these boards are excellent place to find out about incentives and cashbacks etc.. (we are going to wait til late nov. to dec for a price reduction and incentives)
    thirdly a wonderful teaching site on how to buy/lease a car and not get the "shaft" is http://www.carbuyingtips.com/ it is a lot of reading but the top ten scams run by a salesman is mindbending! also take the time to read the 2 sections How To Buy New Cars and Buy Cars Online

lastly route 23 honda , townehyundai in denville and Joyce honda in denville all pulled "stunts" on me please please please do your research before going in! i am currently researching sussex honda and some dealers in bergan county and parts of northeastern Pa.

good luck everyone here getting the vehicle for the price we want and need. :)
  • Options
    dannyhashovavdannyhashovav Member Posts: 24
    Can anyone predict or shed some insights on the MF going forward on Pilot 09 in this bad economy? I guess what I am asking is should I wait to get a better lease deal or act now? Can anyone tell me what other factors I should be considering and are always changing to the extent they can dramatically effect the lease deal?

Deal I am quoted is:
    Honda 2009 EX-L AWD Pilot from Potamkin Honda in NYC

$437 per month (including NY tax) x 36months
    Cap Cost 32,098
    Est Res Value 18,291
    Adjusted Cap Cost 32,030

Out of pocket:
    $68 cap cost reduction - can any one explain this please?
    $437 1st month payment
    $450 registration fee - is there standard fee? Can dealers "play" these #s?
    $45 doc fee
    Total: $1,000 - I think $450 registration fees is a bit high...

I can wait another month or two to get the car for a better deal (at around $400), otherwise $10 - $15 a month will not make a difference and I'd rather get it now.
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    Hi hellmglecar. Honda Finance's residual values for the Pilot vary by term (length of lease), mileage allowance, and trim level. Honda Finance's current residual for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Pilot Touring 4WD with the entertainment system, navigation, and 15,000 miles per year is 46%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, this residual value would be 2% higher...48%.

The $1,250 is a cash incentive that Honda is providing to dealers on '09 Pilots that are leased through Honda Finance right now. Dealers can try to pocket this incentive or they can pass it on to the consumer. Taking advantage of this cash, if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition you should be able to negotiate a capitalized cost that's below dealer invoice without much trouble.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi fudgebar. I believe that the dealer invoice price of a 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD is currently $32,548. That puts the selling price of $30,458 that you were quoted at around $2,000 under dealer invoice. This is an excellent selling price for this truck. Just make sure that the dealer is using Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi dannyhashovav. Honda's current lease program on the 2009 Pilot is scheduled to run through January 5th. While I don't anticipate it making any changes to this truck's lease program before than, anything is possible.

It is always tough to predict what manufacturers will do with their future incentives programs. The market for new vehicles certainly is tough right now. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda enhanced its lease program on the Pilot in January, but keep in mind though that its residual values will likely fall at the beginning of the year as well, offsetting much of any money factor enhancement.

In answer to your other questions, your state's DMV's registration fee is probably standard. I doubt that the dealer would try to pad it, but if you'd like you probably can find out more information on by by visiting the New York Department of Motor Vehicles site.

A capitalized cost reduction is really just a fancy name for a down payment that reduces the amount you are financing on your lease. It appears as though the dealer is charging you a minuscule cap cost reduction just to round off the amount due at signing to an even grand.

As a side note, the $45 doc fee that this dealer is charging you is extremely low. That's impressive because many dealerships try to pad the profit in deals by charging doc fees of several hundred dollars.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi Car_man,

I want to be thorough in my negotiating the lease terms plus I am not rushing as I still have one month to go with my Murano, though the Honda dealership had offered to take it away. So theoretically, if Honda does not change lease program on Pilot, in Jan 2nd the residual value of Pilot 09 will drop a bit, and if MF stays the same at .0011 the lease payments could go down? Correct? Can you approximate the amount of residual decline in the begining of 09 on Pilot? I just want to see if waiting makes sense number wise. Can you also suggest a good and simple lease calculator so I can plug the numbers myself? What about the documentation fees of $450? Doesn't it seem high to you? Can I negotiate it?

Thanks much for your time and reply.
    I think Edmunds is one of the best places to get enlightened and skilled at purchasing a car.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Actually I think i made a mistake: If residual goes down the monthly payment will increase. Sorry. if you have a chance please respond to my other questions.

thanks again
  • Options
    Dont mind me again. I looked it up: Title and registration would run about the same amount they've quoted me.
    thanks
  • Options
    milzomilzo Member Posts: 8
    Very thankful I found this forum. With all of your input/ feedback I hope not to leave any money on the table. That said here is where I am at.

2009 Pilot EX-L (no res), Cleveland Ohio, 7.75% sales tax.
    MSRP = $35800
    Invoice = $32500
    Sell = $32500 - $1250 (rebate) - $250 (extra discount) = $31,000
    Down pmt = $550 (includes all fees)
    Pmt = $481 per mo including tax for a 36 mo lease.

The salesman is a friend of the family and stated this is the lowest he can possibly go. After reading other posts I am thinking its still $30-$40 a month high.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    I'm going to lease a 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD with RES + the running boards with lights. When I ask for all of the details such as the cap cost, money factor, dealer cash, residual value, etc. how do I know what the invoice price is? Is there a way to find out the invoice price so I know I'm getting a good deal? I live in the Princeton, NJ area. Are leases going for invoice, above invoice? Thanks, Scott
  • Options
    2009 Pilot 4x4 EXL with RES, before Dest Charge $670.00

MSRP: $36,795.00
    INV...: $33,324.00

Running Board (different kinds) is option, 50% of list price is the invoice roughly.
  • Options
    Hi Milzo,

i think your family friend can do better :-) here is a breakdown from my spreadsheet based on your numbers:

Step 1: Calculate the Capitalized Cost
    Vehicle Selling Price: $31,000
    Down-payment $0
    Total: $31,000

Step 2: Calculate Vehicle's Residual Value
    MSRP: $35,800
    Residual: 51%
    Total: $18,258

Step 3: Determine Vehicle's Total Depreciation
    Residual - Cap Cost: $12,742

Step 4: Determine Vehicle's Monthly Depreciation
    Lease Term in Months: 36
    Total: $354

Step 5: Determine Interest Charges
    Money Factor: 0.00110
    Total: 54

Step 6: Calculate Monthly Payment
    Total Pre-tax Monthly Payments $408
    Sales Tax Rate: 7.75%
    Taxes per month: $32
    Monthly Payments+Tax: $440

Hope that helps
    Dannyhashovav
  • Options
    Thank you for this, I think by using your calculation I figured my Car Dealer includes my Liceses and Doc Fees into my lease, but also says it's due at signing.

Also, Are fees like (Doc, License, CVR) these figured into the whole Capital Cost of the car?? Or should they be added at the end???

Maybe I should just pay those up front, and be sure not to get double charged.

Anyone know what a CVR Filing fee is??

Thank you!
  • Options
    milzomilzo Member Posts: 8
    Thank you very much for taking the time to spell it out. I knew that was about where it should be but didn't know how to do the calculations. Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is what Mike Piazza Honda in PA just offered me and it's better than several other places. Is this a good deal or can I get better, and by how much?

3 yr/36,000 miles
    $1,000 out the door
    $488 per month lease

Base invoice = $33,979
    Vehic price = $32,529
    ACQ Fee = $595
    Cash Reduc = $289
    Net Cap Cost = $32,834
    Resid % (book) = 48%
    Resid % (net) = 50%
    Resid $ (net) = $18,732
    Frt-End Profit = -$1,750 (it appears to be a negative)
    Reserve Profit = $200
    Total Profit = -$1,550 (it appears to be a negative)
    DMV Fees = $186.45
    Initial Payment = $1,000

Can I do much better than this? An extra $5 here and there aren't going to make a huge difference and not worth the extra time. Thanks
  • Options
    nico18nico18 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any feedback on a lease for a new Honda Pilot EXL-RES-AWD.
    Below are the most recent terms from the dealer. They still seam high so I'm curious whether anyone has any insight.

$37,465.00 - MSRP
    $32,812.00 - Selling Price
    $900.00 - Down Payment
    $17,983.20 - Residual 48%
    15,000 - miles per year

$482.17 + 7.75% tax = $519.54 per month for 36 months