Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi golic. I believe that the end date that is listed here is wrong. I have heard that the dealer cash is scheduled to run through March 2nd. Who knows though. It would not surprise me in the least if Honda made an unscheduled revision to its program on February 3rd. Please feel free to check back with me in a couple of days for an update if you'd like.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hey golic. I personally expect Honda's current lease program to run unchanged through March 2nd. The dealers that I have spoken with indicate that this is Honda's plan. If Honda does make an unscheduled change to its program, it will likely happen on February 3rd. If anything, I would think that any sort of change would be for the better...not worse. If that is the case, then you don't really have anything to lose by waiting. As I always say though, this is just an educated guess and no one, not even dealers, knows exactly what an automaker will do with their future incentives until they are officially announced.

Car_man
    Host
    Congratulations on getting your new Pilot, golic. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. If you'd like, you can stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Hi powertrain. The money factor and residual value that you were quoted for this truck are right in line with Honda Finance's current program for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • powertrainpowertrain Member Posts: 12
    Thank you car_man. One additional question if I could: We want to add dealer installed equipment such as running boards, aluminum trim, etc. The dealer did not include these additions as part of the MSRP to be depreciated. So in effect I would have to pay full price for theses items and loose the residual deduction. Is this practice correct? Does only the MSRP on the window sticker work into the residual formula?

Many many many ....thanks to you for your prompt and accurate responses!
  • donixdonix Member Posts: 16
    Hello everybody!!! Just 1 quistion, my leased 07 pilot will be done next year, do I pay the wear and tear for the tires?
  • vick3vick3 Member Posts: 6
    Hello Car_Man,

After lot of homework, i negotiated a 36 month lease with 12K miles/yr with a SoCal Honda dealer on a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD without DVD (see full details below).

The dealer has a black car with running boards+lights and protection pack (cargo tray, wheel locks and mudguards) on his inventory. The sticker price of the accessories is $1100, and i'm estimating the street price at approx $690 (bernardiparts.com); and the MSRP at approx $950 ($784 boards + $84 cargo tray + $81 wheel locks - he could not show me where the extra mudguards are - they look same on all the Pilots on his lot, irrespective of "protection pack").

The dealer wants to add $30 to the monthly lease payment, by adding $400 to the MSRP, and $1100 to the total cap cost, saying that Honda allows maximum $400 to be included as residualized "hard add". I refused to buy the car, unless he adds the same amount of $400 to both MSRP and cap cost, or unless he removes the accessories and gives me the negotiated lease on the base car. Neither of those options were acceptable to him. I asked him to bring a car from another dealer without any pre-installed options. He said he will try find it tomorrow, but also said that most dealers in southern california pre-install the protection pack, and i would likely have to pay for that (approx $300).

So here's my questions:
    1) Do i have a good deal on the base car, with correct residual etc?
    2) Am i doing the right thing by insisting that he either sell the car without the accessories, or add the same $400 on both the MSRP and cap cost?
    3) If the dealer cannot find me a car tomorrow without additional accessories, how should i approach the situation, other than paying up or starting the painful process at another dealer?

Thanks for your help!

Full Details:
    36 month with 12K miles/yr lease on a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD (without the DVD), and with no additional accessories.

MSRP $37565
    Invoice $34327 (33324 + 670 destination + 333 HDAG fee)
    Down Payment $3000 ($2797 towards cap cost reduction, rest tax)
    Total Cap Cost $30125 (Invoice + $595 assignment fee - $2000 discount - $2797 down payment)
    Residual $17280 (46%)
    Money Factor 0.00151
    35 Monthly Payments of $459 ($428 + 0.0725% tax)
    Drive off Payment of $799 ($459 first month pymt + $272 registration + $55 dealer doc fee + $9 "other" fee + $4 tax)
  • AXM23AXM23 Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone know if the lease program changed on the following:

Pilot EXL AWD (no NAV or RES)
    36 months
    12k year

Thanks!
  • kcv724kcv724 Member Posts: 5
    Would love to know what this month has in store.
    That sounds like a great deal. Did you lease through American Honda? And if you don't mind, how much negative equity was paid off on your Xterra? I would love the same deal you got. I am in NJ and taxes are a little cheaper.

Did you get the EX or the EXL?

Would you be willing to give the name of the sales guy you dealt with so that I can ask for the same deal?

Thanks Sushiman.
  • bizhousebizhouse Member Posts: 8
    I'm currently leasing an '06 Pilot EX-L w/ RES; lease expires in ~ 5 months... rec'd a mailing yesterday from AHFC - a little brochure outlining my lease end options...

I'm leaning towards buying it - I love the vehicle, and by financing through my credit union, I could keep the payment around the same ($360) and own it outright in a few years, as opposed to leasing a similar '09 and paying probably $100 more a month, and then facing the same dilemma again in a few years...

Anyway, I have a couple of questions, which, if answered, will help me make my final decision! :-)

The brochure mentions getting a (non-negotiable) "payoff quote" from AHFC... my questions are:

Is the "payoff quote" different from the residual value? Will AHFC factor in things like the economic recession, current sales prices on similar '06 Pilots, etc. in determining the "payoff quote" figure? Is it truly "non-negotiable"?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Payoff quote - I think it is same as buyout price which is the balance appears every month you pays the lease payment.
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    If you refer to your original contract you it will state the end of lease purchase price. And that is what you can purchase the car for at the END of your lease. If you wanted to terminate your lease early you would pay the current "pay-off" amount. Which is pretty much the buyout price plus the 5 remaining payments you have left.

My guess is your car is worth less than the buyout, unless you reduced the capitalized cost on your current lease by putting a large amount down or a trade-in.

I don't know how this would work, but your best option may be to discuss with the dealer that you want to turn it in and then buy it from them. Realizing the market value is lower? I would call Honda and make an offer..but with 5 months to go you have plenty of time to wait.
    Car_man-

What is the new incentive, residual and money factor for the above mentioned car for a 36 month/15,000 mile lease.

Thank you in advance...

g-
    No problem, powertrain. The guidelines as to what options can be residualized varies from bank to bank. I am not sure of Honda Finance's exact policy on this matter, but I am not surprised that the options that you mentioned were not residualized. Banks often do not allow dealer-installed options to be included in vehicles' MSRPs when calculating lease payments.

I personally try to avoid leasing a vehicle with any options that cannot be residualized. Adding them really rubs me the wrong way because one has to pay for the entire cost and then give the vehicle back. Yuck.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi donix. Yes, lessees are responsible for replacing their vehicle's tires at lease-end if they are excessively worn. This is why it is always a good idea to regularly rotate the tires of leased vehicles. Doing so will help them wear more evenly and last longer.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi vick3. I don't blame you, I wouldn't want a Pilot equipped with the dumb protection package if it couldn't be fully residualized either. You were right to try to find a unit that doesn't have it. If you can't find a truck that doesn't have it though, you may be stuck with overpaying for it. I doubt that Honda Finance will allow dealers to residualize more than $400 for that stuff. You can always try to get the dealer to lower its price for the package. That would help some.

The selling price that you were quoted for the Pilot that you are interested in looks great. It appears to be below dealer invoice minus the available $1,500 dealer cash. One change that I would make though would be to eliminate the capitalized cost reduction that you are paying. I always advise consumers not to make any sort of cap cost reduction when leasing. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your truck's monthly payment will be a little higher, you will be better off going with a zero down lease.

The money factor that you were quoted looks great as well. It is right in line with Honda Finance's buy rate for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Other than the option package issue, this looks like a very good deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi AXM23. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Pilot EX-L AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00151 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier. When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 dealer cash that Honda is currently providing on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey golic. Here's the info that you're looking for. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Pilot EX-L AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00151 and 48%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 dealer cash that Honda is currently providing on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • kcv724kcv724 Member Posts: 5
    Car_man,
    My lowest price so far on an EX-L is 408 a month w/ 2500 do @ signing. The finance manager said that a new program is coming out on Monday and to wait b/c "It can't be worse than this" Do you know anything of this?
    Is this a fair quote for 39 months 12k a year? Please advise (all comments and suggestions will help)

Needing a Pilot
    KCV - I was just quoted the following:

EXL, $2000 total out of pocket, 36 months, 15k per year
    $419 a month

Your deal is very close to this one. I think you can probably save a little $ on the down payment. Shoot for $2000 down - then I would say you got a good deal.
    Read this board-----good financial acumen states you should never put cash down on a lease!!! Don't negotiate the payment - negotiate the price of the car!!
  • bspzbspz Member Posts: 35
    Okay, I tried asking this in the "Ask Questions" area with no luck, so I will try here...

I am reading that when shopping for a vehicle to lease it is best to negotiate the price first to get the lowest cap cost. They say the worst thing to do is to indicate the monthly payment you want up front. So my question is, if I am not planning on buying at lease term should I care how they get to my ideal payment? I understand how they can manipulate the numbers to meet my payment request, but does it really matter as long as they meet my needs for payment, mileage and term length and I get the vehicle I want?

Thanks in advance!
    The $2000 is not really to reduce cap cost. Rather, it is to cover 1st month, taxes, doc fee, tags and acquisition fee.

Do you think I can get a better deal with less $ out of pocket?
    Here is my advice on shopping for a vehicle.

1. Subscribe to the Prices paid for the vehicle you are looking at. Go back, read the last 30 days of posts and monitor going forward. See what others are paying for your make and model. I tend to discount "great deals" on people who had trade-ins. Since the numbers could have been manipulated.

2. Go to Edmunds TMV service and price out your vehicle. Use this as another guide.

3. Post a message to Car_man - ask him the residual value and money factor (top tier credit) for the exact make, model and trim you are looking for, including options. Also, let him know if you are looking at 12K or 15K miles per year and the term of the lease, example 36 months.

4. Learn how to calculate a lease payment OR use a website calculator such as edmunds. Once you know all the variables MSRP, selling price, money factor, residual - you will know what your monthly payment is or should be. It is not that complicated.

5. Now, start negotiating the price of the vehicle. The lower the price the lower the lease payment.
  • donottrustemdonottrustem Member Posts: 9
    I live in Northern Indiana and have been working the area dealers over pretty good for the best lease price on a 2009 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 39 months, 12,000 miles per year with no money down. So far I have a dealer in Southern Michigan offering $416.25 per month plus tax and a dealer in Northern Indiana offering $417 per month. I emailed the Honda dealers around Indianapolis and they are at least $30 more per month. Another dealer in Northern Indiana that claims he will meet anyone else's price is working hard to beat the other two deals. The salesperson said that the other dealers must be throwing in their $1500 dealer incentive and hold back money into the deal. He has crunched the numbers a few times and can only come up with $426 per month plus tax. Am I missing something if I focus only on the monthly price instead of residual values and money factors? I don't have any desire to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease. Should I jump on the best deal next week or wait to see if Honda offers the dealers more incentive money in the next few weeks? Any help would be appreciated.
  • love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    Thanks Car_man... We decided to take the gamble and not pull the trigger in January, and it looks like we're okay. Our last pmt on our old vehicle was Feb 1st, so we didn't want to have double pmts any longer than necessary... sometime in the next week or two we will be signing paperwork

I have already spoken with the salesperson at my local dealer, and it looks like everything is exactly the same as January. So our gamble paid off, and we saved ourselves the 600 or so bucks by waiting.

Of course, just to complicate things, I am now getting phone calls directly from AHFC regarding lease of a new MDX -- seems as though they are offering some special $1500 off deal, don't have details yet -- which could possibly bring the prices on comparably-equipped Pilot & MDX models within $40 of each other. Makes the decision a little harder!

Still think we're going with the Pilot, though... my practical side has taken over -- I want all that extra storage in the console, the doors, above the glove compartment, and in the cargo area. Not to mention room for one more of my kids' friends. :)
  • imtimt Member Posts: 5
    Car_man

Looking for current lease factor & residual values to compute lease payments for the following models for 36 months:

EXL (AWD) w/rear entertainment 12K & 15K
    Touring (AWD) w/rear entertainment 12K & 15K

My 5 year old MDX is all paid off so looking to go shopping :).
    If you decide to wait a little longer, you can call AHFC to extend your current lease that can be canceled at any month as soon as you find a good deal re new car. The disadvantage is the standard 3 yr / 36k warranty will expire in your extended lease period.
  • JM123JM123 Member Posts: 5
    Looking to see what others are paying for 36 months 10K miles/yr 0 down
    We thought about that... but once the itch for a new vehicle gets really strong, it's hard to deny it. Removing and re-installing those darn headrests every time I put a seat down or up is getting old; I am counting the days until I don't have to do that anymore.

I have an MDX right now, so my warranty is actually much longer. But that is a good point nonetheless.
  • bspzbspz Member Posts: 35
    I live just north of Indy, what dealers were you working with in Indy and up in Northern Indiana? I got a $403 w/tax on an EX-39 mo/12k, but would like to find a deal on the EX-L if I could. I would be willing to drive 2-3 hrs to save a few bucks. Thanks.
  • imtimt Member Posts: 5
    QUOTE: Removing and re-installing those darn headrests every time I put a seat down or up is getting old; I am counting the days until I don't have to do that anymore.

That's why mine on the MDX, for the third row, are still in there original plastic in the trunk comparment. At least for the past 5 years my kids have been too short to need them :).
  • dtwpopdtwpop Member Posts: 5
    donottrustem,

these are wonderful prices. in the metro detroit area i'm getting quoted 478-489 which includes taxes and fees. do you mind sharing which MI dealer you are speaking to. it may be worth a drive.
    thanks
    also if anyone knows the current residual and MF for a 2009 pilot ex-L 4WD 39mos 15K i would appreciate it.
  • donottrustemdonottrustem Member Posts: 9
    I have been working with the Honda dealers in Fort Wayne, IN and Kalamazoo, MI. I am still waiting for the dealer in Elkhart, IN to get back with me.
  • purplepizzapurplepizza Member Posts: 3
    I was looking at the Feb lease specials on the Boch Honda monthly promotions page. They show a FWD Pilot EX on a 39 month lease for $268 with $998 down plus tax, tags and doc fee.

If I use the .00151 money factor provided by CarMan (Thanks CarMan!), I back into a capitalized cost that suggests they are selling at more than $4000 below invoice.

Is there more dealer cash now? Has the money factor dropped to almost zero? Or is this just a limited quantity offer designed to gain traffic for this dealer?
  • Hoop1234Hoop1234 Member Posts: 18
    Limited quantity
  • zombiemanzombieman Member Posts: 14
    Hey Car_man,

Thanks so much for always roaming the boards and posting your excellent info - especially the all important financial drivers!

As "imt" asked above, I too would love to know the current Honda Financial money factor & residual values for a couple of different Pilot models/configs.

Touring (AWD) with Navi on both a 3yr 12K & 15K mileage

Touring (AWD) without Navi on both a 3yr 12K & 15K mileage

Would those numbers change much with 39 month & 48 month leases?

And do you know if Honda is offering any kid of customer loyalty incentives right now (I'm coming out of a Honda Accord lease)? So any type of incentive (loyalty or otherwise) would be great to know about when working down the final selling price.

Thanks a million!!!!!
    :)
  • brunybruny Member Posts: 7
    I have been shopping for a 2009 pilot EX-L (awd) with dvd no navi

i am located in lake county illinois.

Today I was offered the following lease deal, nothing down

39 mos, 12k per year

Vehicle price 33225.65 tax $2327.55
    Residual 49%
    money factor .00151

Payment - $492.44

first/doc and plates only $812.09 out of pocket

Can I do better, has anyone been offered anything else lower or is this really the best Im gonna do. My thought is that with presidents day coming up there might be some more dealer support offered this week. Thanks in advance
  • duffycougduffycoug Member Posts: 13
    Just leased a 2009 EX for $1,000 out of pocket at signing (including tax, tags, 1st month, etc.)....15,000 miles per year, 39 months, $412 per month....deal was made in Central NJ.

A. Horrible
    B. Below Average, could have done better
    C. Fair Deal
    D. Above Average
    E. Great Deal

Thanks!
  • ragecageragecage Member Posts: 6
    D
    C+
  • LVchadLVchad Member Posts: 5
    Carman and anyone else, can you please lend me your opinion?

2009 4WD Pilot Touring w/RES for $950 out of pocket at signing (including fees, 1st month, etc.)....12,000 miles per year, 39 months, $556 per month...msrp 40,665, sale price 35,371, mf .00151, res 47%, zero cap reduction.

A. Horrible
    B. Below Average, could have done better
    C. Fair Deal
    D. Above Average
    E. Great Deal

Thanks!
  • arb75arb75 Member Posts: 1
    2009 2WD Pilot EX-L
    $1000 down (including fees etc). 12k miles per year, 39 months, $431 per month (including all taxes)

am in VA quote from NC.

Should I go for it, or negotiate more?

Thanks
    We are likely signing papers in the next few days for the following:

Pilot Touring (in Bali Blue w/gray lthr, for those who are curious)
    39 months, 15K/yr
    MF .00151
    RV 46%
    Cap Cost: 35,243
    Cash Down: 1,032 (first pmt, reg/title, doc fee)
    Monthly Payment: $522.14 ($553.47 incl 6% tax)

If possible, we'll do a sign & drive, which would bump the payment up to around $583 (incl tax).

I'll let you know how it goes!
  • jelly22jelly22 Member Posts: 3
    bruny,

This is a nice deal. This deal is very close to best it can be on this car. I am in IL too and have a similar deal offer on a EXL + RES. I am at $495/ month @ 39 month 12k lease including 8% tax and only $495 out of pocket. Price includes running boards & all weather mats. The mf is .00151. Selling price is $31,900 after all incentives. In order for my dealer to get to this price they are including a tax credit from another deal.

It looks like I will bite on this deal! Good luck.
    Well, things are not going as planned...

I really wanted the Bali Blue; the dealer has looked in six states and cannot find one for me.

Then I said I'd consider the Formal Black. No luck. None to be found.

No Mocha Metallic (third choice).

Now we're on to Dark Cherry Pearl (my fourth choice, only because hubby's Ridgeline is that color). Still waiting to hear.

I hate to be so picky, but... I want to like the color of the car I drive every day. Is that too much to ask? I mean, if this were the deal of the century (see my previous post, it's not) I might be more flexible on color.

Interestingly enough... if I want the Touring w/Navi AND RES, I can get my first choice for color. And spend $50 more a month!
    Jelly,
    Do you happen to know what your residual value / boyout at lease end would be for this Pilot? I am considering leasing the same exact one (w/o mats) and I may buy it at lease end. If they are selling it for $31,900 I think you are being offered a good price on the car.
    Boch Honda in MA has "ONE" special (just check still in stock #64205) this week
    based on 12,000 miles/year, .20/mile excess;
    Zero cash or trade down plus tax & fees. Security deposit wavied.
    $198 x 39mo,
    51% res.Price excludes taxes, title, and registration fees;
    prices include all customer rebates, promotions, and incentives to dealer.
    exterior color = black MSRP: 29,965
    * Zero cash or trade down MEANS NO TRADE-IN
  • duffycougduffycoug Member Posts: 13
    Ok, forgot to mention that is was the AWD model,but I guess that doesn't really matter. My other questions would be does it really matter what all those other numbers if I plan on turning it in at the end of the lease? If those numbers do come into play here they are....any comments on them would certainly be welcomed.

MSRP - $32,665.00
    Agreed upon Value - $27,817.94
    Residual Value - $16,005.85

If there are any other important number I can provide them, please let me know.

Thanks