Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• chelfishchelfish Member Posts: 1
    My battery went down (due to lack of driving)on my 96 GMC Sierra 1500 so hooked up the battery charger. When I did the Code Alarm activated and the speedometer needle bounced around. Once I shut the alarm off the speedometer is stuck on 100 MHP. Any ideas?
  • jaytexasjaytexas Member Posts: 2
    take a look at this site for some good background on EVO
    http://forums.vmag.com/suvtahyuk0301/messages/5078.html
  • wegibsonwegibson Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 03 GMC Sierra 3500 mid December 2005 with 118,000 miles. It now has a little over 119,000 miles and now I have been told all injectors and the pump must be replaced. I was not being able to get it to start. One time it would, next time could not do anything to get it started. Do you have any reference I can go to regarding the extended warranty to approx. 180,000 miles. Dealership has told me this would be covered under warranty but now they are saying it will not and they can't get the GMC rep to do anything about it. Any help would be MOST appreciated.
  • navedavenavedave Member Posts: 1
    My light has been on for awhile, I have has oversized 35" tires on my truck for years. Just recently, the light came on and stay on. The scanner was put on and it said that BOTH front wheel sensors were bad, after resetting in park and engine off, the right one kicked the light on immediately. Does anybody have any ideas on how to repair? I have been getting 2 stories about the sensors that they clip into the hub and the other that they are attached to the wheel hub and must be purchased as a whole unit. Help me out guys!!!!
  • dale3n8dale3n8 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 with only 7,000 miles on it. Just after 6,000 miles, it began to show a really bad vibration/shudder when the brakes are applied. I brought it to the dealer who of course could find nothing wrong (typical excuse). Now when I lightly apply the brakes, the truck begins to shudder and it seems like 30 mph and under is the worst. It begins to shake and it gets so bad that that I can actually hear a knocking sound! It is an awful sound. I am not 100% sure that it could be warped rotors......and I would almost think it could be ABS, but no lights come on. The truck did sit in a garage for some time, like 5-6 months and there was some rust build up on the rotors that has since worn away and they are shiny. Can anyone offer some help on this, it must be fixed!
    Thanks! :mad:
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Do you wash your truck at car washes and apply liquid wax? Or use products like ZipCar wash in a bucket of water and handwash the truck? If wax gets on the brake rotors, it will contaminate the pads and possibly cause horrible griding and screeching noise when brakes are lightly applied. I had something like this happen with a passenger car. The solution was cleaning the rotors with acetone, and lightly sanding them by hand with 100 grit sandpaper to remove the glaze. Also, I replaced the brake pads and made sure that the caliper sliding pins were lubricated and sliding freely. This solved the problem for good.

Rotors can get warped by uneven lug nut tightening with an air impact gun (unless they use a torque extension with it). Did you have your tires rotated and did they use an air gun on your lug nuts to tighten them? However, warped rotors usually cause pulsation it the brake pedal and chatter when braking hard at high speeds. Brake chatter at low speeds under light braking conditions can also be caused by sticking cliper sliding pins.
  • barry12barry12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4wd, just recentley installed K & N cold intake kit and then programmed with Hypertech programmer, while programming a dtc(diagnostic trouble code) came up (B0229) Is there a web site where i can go to to check what this code is? Truck runs great, and there is no check engine light on.

Thanks barry
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Barry;
    I know of no site where they're listed. Maybe someone else does.
    DTC B0229 relates to HVAC Recirculation Door Position. Whether it's induced by your programmer or is just one of those maddening coincidences is anyone's guess; since both PCM and HVAC Control Module involve 'memory' it may not be coincidence. If your recirculation controls are working properly I'd clear the DTC and not worry about it unless it recurs.
    If your controls are not working properly you may need recalibration or some other action which means a trip to the dealer, (after restoring factory program).

-David
  • barry12barry12 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks David, I did find a site where you can enter codes, It is very helpful for anyone. www.obdii.com
  • dale3n8dale3n8 Member Posts: 3
    I on occasion use the car wash, put never use the wax feature, just the regular soap, then rinse. When washing at home, I have many times used ZipWax car wash, but I never would think that I could have gotten enough on the brake rotors to make a difference. As far as the tire rotation, I do the work myself and installed the newly rotated tires by hand with a torque wrench per the specs in the manual. I had read somewhere online that if a vehicle sits for a while, like mine had, and the rotors get the chance to rust, that when you use them again some of the rust on the rotor could transfer onto the pad and cause a pulsation? I never really had any problems like this in the past with other trucks......not with this few miles on them. I am concerned that it is a ABS issue, possibly rusty sensors or something?
    Dave
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    If your dealer can't/won't fix the problem I would try another dealer. If you don't have any luck with that one then go for the manufacturers rep.
    What you are describing sounds to me like a problem with the ABS system. Either way it is a warranty issue and should be addressed by the dealer.
  • mikec8mikec8 Member Posts: 16
    Regarding the 97 Sierra steering problem (& EVO): Thanks for all the help. The cumulation of the articles gave me enough info to act on. I sure appreciate the assist.....Mike
  • code43code43 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new member here! I have a 93 GMC sierra 1500. I just put a new crate engine in the beast and thought with new sensors that the SES light would go out! (That wasn't the only problem with the old engine-long story). I still get a code 43! That's the anti-knock sensor. It's a brand new one! Will it hurt the truck to run it with that going on? Will there be any long-term damage? The mechanic I who put the motor in seems to be avoiding me about this problem. any help would be appreciated. :cry:
  • gmc1500gmc1500 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 four door 1500 GMC is at the dealership due to the right side door windows not working. I'm told the problems maybe in the multiplex wiring.

When did GM begin using Multiplex wiring?

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?
  • psmittypsmitty Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 engine--50,000 miles. Occasionally the truck will not accelerate. The engine rpm's will go to about 1800 and the truck will not accelerate past this point for a short period of time. There appears to be a backfiring type noise. I have replaced the fuel filter and the complete module in the fuel tank. The engine runs fine if you are in park--no hesitations through the entire rpm range. This problem only occurs with the transmission engaged. No codes are showing up in the computer. Any help will be appreciated.
  • duffman2000duffman2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 GMC sierra 1500 that cuts out when idling but once I give it gas it is fine. I have replaced the fuel filter and it hasn't helped. When it starts to cut out the brake light on the dash lights up, is this significant? Someone told me that it could possibly be something in my gas tank causing the problem, is that something I should get checked? I also changed the plugs and wires in case it was a faulty plug causing the problem. If anyone has an idea of what I should do next please let me know. Thanks!
  • kawijgkawijg Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 gmc sierra, i was interested in adding homelink to my truck, i am tired of looking for the remote. Can i just purchase the overhead consul that contains the homelink buttons and replace mine with it. Is it the same electrical hookup, or do things go much deeper then that. Any help would be appreciated
  • nunzionunzio Member Posts: 1
    hi everbody.
    I just recently baught a 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab 5.3L. I am just wondering, if any of the problems from the past years such as 2003 on are still problems on the new 2006's. If so what are the problems and what should i be keeping an eye on. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • keefe1keefe1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a2005 GMC 1500 4x4 at 3800 to4000 thousand miles I started to have brake problems at 40 mph and up the dealer could not find it since that time it has been back 3 more times and each time they turn the front rotors and rear drums to me this is patch job I did not buy a used truck what can I do.
  • davesworldddavesworldd Member Posts: 2
    Hey travis or anyone...
    I have a 2003 gmc sierra truck that has the same speedometer problem , jumps up to 120 and then sticks at 30 or so when stoped . Does anyone know the resolution to this problem? :mad: :mad: :mad: reply here or to davesworldd2002@yahoo.com
  • bghuffmanbghuffman Member Posts: 2
    Dale,

I experienced the same problem with my 2005 1500 Sierra. I have the extended cab 4x4. At around 6,000 miles I noticed a vibration only in the steering wheel, not so much in the brake pedal though. I took it to a local dealership. The service techs test drove it and diagnosed the problem as "warped rotors" due to lateral run-out. Gave me a quote of around $170.00 to fix the problem. Slightly enraged...because I had purchased the extended warranty I felt that I should not incure any out of pocket expenses. Long story short...I got in contact with the service rep. as a one time courtesy GMC fixed the problem by turning the rotors. This has caused the vibration in the steering wheel to go away...for now! I figure it is only a matter of time before the problem resurfaces. Try contacting the service rep. and insist that they replace the rotors with new ones. I should note that when I took my truck in for the problem I was out of the "friction parts" warranty period by 500-1000 miles, due to my work schedule. So do not delay.
  • bghuffmanbghuffman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 ext.cab 4x4. Mileage is at 12K. I have Westin side step bars, which are installed at the body bushing points on the frame to the cab (I have checked to ensure that they were installed properly). The noise that I am experiencing is more of a "sqeaking" noise and not a "popping" noise which is typically the case with improperly installed side bars. The noise only happens when I make turns. It seems to be originating more from the driver's side 3rd door at head level, right behind my left ear. I have taken my truck in to the service center for diagnosis. The service tech insists that the side bars are the cause of the problem. I beg to differ. Has anyone experienced this same problem with their truck???
  • gmc19gmc19 Member Posts: 3
    This happened on my dads 2004 ext. cab. Shortly after installing the step bars a squeaking sound appeared, we at first thought that it was the step bars, and moved them around on the brackets. After doing all of this we realized that the sound wasn't coming from the bars but farther back. The sound only appeared when the truck was "flexing the frame" while pulling into the driveway at an angle. While jumping up and down in the bed, we determined that it was the leaf springs. We took the truck back to the dealer, and there was in fact a service bulletin out on defective leaf spring layout. They replaced all the leaf springs on both sides, and the sound went away. I don't know if this is your problem, but it may be something to look in to.
  • 18gander18gander Member Posts: 2
    ya .. I got a 2001 gmc extended cab with a 4.3 six cylinder. Same problem. Dealer told me it got to do with the stiffness of the drive train???????? They told me it was only in the six cylinder. They put in a flex pipe on the exhaust system. That did nothning to solve problem. Dealer and GMC told me nothing they could do about the problem. One of many problems I am having with this truck. No wonder GM is going under.
  • 18gander18gander Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 extended cab GMC 6 cylinder. Did not have the problem until I replaced a center bearing. The drive shaft is a two piece. The center bearing being one of them. Since the replacement I get a slight vibration at 45-60 then it goes away. Dealer says to replace with a one piece shaft at my expense. I have talked with other owners with same problem. Cost them $1200.00 to fix. An obvious defect. One of many problems I have had with this truck since buying new. No wonder GMC is going under. I will not buy GM again.
  • black06denalblack06denal Member Posts: 1
    I was about to buy tire chains (cables) for my new '06 GMC Sierra Denali quad cab. The tires are P275/55R20. I looked in the manual, and it gives a warning to not put chains on the vehicle. Huh?! I looked under the vehicle and don't see any obvious clearance problems. What gives? It's a truck!

thanks, rex
  • vp46vp46 Member Posts: 6
    I'm dting to know what was causing the kicking and the neutral feeling while in Reverese.....sounds like my issue only I call it slipping.

My truck only has 15k on it and I'm kinda in shock about it.

What did you find out??? :confuse:
  • buddy14buddy14 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 as well. I now have 19,000 miles. So far the pads have been replaced twice, original rotors were turned and then replaced. The service rep at the dealer even admitted that GM knew there was a problem and that is why they did not argue at 12k to replace rotors. Oh, it took three weeks to get the rotors in. I am already starting to feel the vibration again. We will see how willing they are to continue to service this issue.
  • creisolcreisol Member Posts: 6
    What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting out of the 4.3? 2WD, 4WD, auto or manual?
  • discodondiscodon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4, my driver side running light is always burning out within a couple of weeks of putting it in. I notice alot of GMCs and Chevys with this same problem. Could it be a bad ground or something else? I also have a problem with my autotrac 4x4. When in autotrac it seems it isn't disengaging into 2wd, could this be related?
  • rjhubrjhub Member Posts: 3
    Was reading some of the post and thought I would
    check in. When my truck was under warranty I had to
    continually take it back for things I thought should not
    have been a problem. Latest is the drivers side bulb.
    I have always noticed the large amount of similar trucks with burnt out bulb and have wondered when my turn would come. Well it just did, and the bulb and socket looked like it had really got hot. Anybody else seen this. Excuse me if this has been asked. I am new to the site.
    Thanks,
    Russ
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I don't know the exact reason for the drl's burnig out but many of us have changed them out to a "LL"(long-lasting) version. Often in amber. Go to AutoZone, or Pep Boys (kinda pricey here) or Wak Mart and pick up a set of 3157/4157LL bulbs. FYI, "NALL" suffix is Natural Amber Long Lasting.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Long time no post ! Spring has sprung w/snow up here
    in NY !!!!!! Hows the AV treating ya? I note your
    posts at the AOC threads. Gonna visit "home" this year?...............geo
  • rjhubrjhub Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to the forum but not new to the problems i see hear. I shopped for all the trucks before buying 03 sierra ext cab 5300. Love the looks and thought it was the best truck for the money. I took it back constantly when under warranty for steering column, rusted front bumper,rust on chrome, hole in interior at seatbelt hole,bad fuel indicator,etc,etc..at my expense and they would give me some little car to drive. I started calling GM and filing complaints eventually hoping to get some kind of deal on a trade in or trade out. They finally said they would file me as an unsatisfied customer and that was it. I wish Honda made a full size.
    Russ
  • bob7198bob7198 Member Posts: 2
    Just thought i would let you know my 2000 g m c 1500 has the exact same problems. I am researching the shifting problem which may be shifting motor at transfer case.
    THe runing light will need a new socket soon as it is fried. Other than these two problems I am happy with the truck. 150000 miles and still runs great with no repairs
    Howdy :D My Sister sent me snow pictures just a couple days ago. I mowed my lawn for the 3rd time last weekend. Redbuds are blossomed, I've seen a few Blubonnets. Then again some new plantings here at work just got zapped by frost a few days ago. :cry: Not sure about this summer, 'cause next summer I have to come up for HS Alumni. Kinda depends on how Dad is doing. They recently found some lung cancer and discovered he has emphysema on top of his other ailments. But for 86 he's actual doing pretty well. So I wait and see. I need to get up there and take him to Old Forge and Long Lake. I really miss that part of NY. Love the Av. I recently traded the '03 for a used '05 with more equipment. Shoulda held off for a new '06. Wish I could swing an '07....sweet! Take care geo
  • cwinchestercwinchester Member Posts: 2
    I change my own oil on the 05 Sierra Denali. However, a recent message popped up on the display to service oil. I assume it comes up after a certain number of miles are driven and it reminds us to change. How do I clear the message?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    in your owners manual. In case you don't have one, insert key into ignition and switch to on position (without starting truck). Depress the gas peddle 3 times in 5 seconds. Your change oil light should start to blink. Turn ignition to off and you are done. I've found that sometimes 4-5 peddle pumps are required to reset the display.
  • cwinchestercwinchester Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much obyone,

I had read that before but could not remember where I saw it or what it said.

cwinchester
  • fochfoch Member Posts: 4
    I noticed the socket on my 2000 3/4 ton 4x4 is dicolored (from heat) and does not hold the light securely. I used a small amount of high-temp silicone gasket sealer and glued the light in place avoiding the electric contacts. I have had no problem with that light for about a year but now the other is out so I'm trying the same approach.
  • reb1844reb1844 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 94 gmc work truck 1/2 ton. the truck now has 216,000 miles.
    i have had very few real problems,listed below
    1. two starters
    2. fuel pump
    3. windshield wiper motor and control. wagoner had his secretary call me personally to tell me gm won't pay for it.
    4. two exhaust systems
    5. replaced front pads, rear shoes still have life
    6. numerous batteries lost count
    overall this was a good buy. the v6 gets over 20mph on the highway. the engine still runs smoothly and does not burn oil. the auto trans serviced at normal intervals is starting to show some feebleness.
    negatives, wiper motor should last for the life of the vehicle. the am portion of the radio works poorly.
    main question? where can one get a new arm rest on the drivers side for a reasonable price?
    bob
    try JCWhitney
    Every stock DRL bulb I've pulled out (dozen or so) is scorched at the base. And some of these didn't have many hrs on them. :confuse:
  • truck7truck7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a vibration at 75 mph that comes and goes.I now have 12000 miles and have had the truck in for this problem since 7000 miles. The dealer has replaced the front rotors, rear ring and pinion, all 4 tires, turned the rear drums, and checked the aluminum wheels for trueness. They have been great, but they are stumped at this point. They are continuing to search for answers. The problem started with a pulsating from the brakes, their actions have fixed that, but the "shaking" in the body continues. Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • 2003gmc2003gmc Member Posts: 1
    The truck has dual climate control. The problem that I am having is when driving with the AC on down the road. The ac on the drives side cuts off and the heater cuts in on high, while the passengers side AC is still working fine. Has anyone been having the same problem.
    AND does any one a a fix.
    Now the only problems I have had so far with this truck are.
    1. Fan motor & wiring burnt & replaced
    2. R/front hud assembly relaced.
    3. Headlights burn out every 60 to 90 days when using Silver star headlights.
    The silver stars are the problem. Their manufacturing process leaves much to be desired. I worked with one of their reps on my fogs. They replaced a total of three times within a 3 month period finally refunding my money.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I note a lot of these different HID or just abour any other
    headlight "bulbs" are NOT supposed to be touched by bare
    fingers because the skin oils are transfered to the bulbs
    causing premature failure...............

This is usually noted on the package warnings..........
    With those wonderful silverstars....you don't have to touch them for them to fail. One thing I've noticed is that they do fail in pairs and within days of each other. You think this is a Canadian conspiracy? Something like those dismal ATI video cards?
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I replaced those wimpy OEM fogs in 2003 with Silver Star 37.5W's and have had no failures to date. (I wanted to go brighter but was warned off here). Currently have right side off to repair for water ingestion.
    I've also heard from other sources not to touch HID bulbs with bare fingers; It's likely the source of many failures.

-David
This discussion has been closed.