Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus RX 350 / RX 450h Lease Questions

Comments

• redhat381redhat381 Member Posts: 26
    Hello, tbecker128.

I think there's alot of confusion about the Multiple Security Deposit program, or MSDs. MSD is a program by Toyota Financial (or Lexus Financial), not your dealer. Also, it's not the same as capital cost reduction or downpayment. Cap cost reduction and downpayment are not refundable. The MSD is a refundable security deposit.

The discount you receive from MSDs is independent of the deal you make with your dealer. Your dealer has no say on the amount of discount you receive from your MSDs.

Whatever the best deal you make with your dealer, Lexus Financial provides additional discounts based on the number of security deposits you make.

A typical security deposit amount is $450 (your monthly pmt, including taxes, rounded up to the next $25 increment). So, the maximum deposit in this case would be $4,050, or 9 MSDs (the max. they allow).

If you invested this $4,050 in some other low risk, guaranted return investment, how much return do you think you'll get for the next three years? 5%? 6% per year?

If you put down 9 MSDs, the return on your investment would be in terms of reduced monthly payment - about $60 per month for a car with $44,146 MSRP and $38,100 cap cost. That's $720 a year, and $2,160 in three years. Or, about 14.2% per year. guaranteed. for three years. not subject to tax.

It sounds like a good deal to me. Also, there's an additional benefit. When I return the car, I will already have $4,050 to use towards my next Lexus. And, that's probably one of the reasons why Lexus is providing this program in the first place.
  • beriskyberisky Member Posts: 35
    correction on #449 drive off: no sec dep.

deal is done.
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    Excellent explanation!!!
  • moolmanmoolman Member Posts: 129
    I'm glad redhat381 is here to explain all the details of the MSD's cause it's fustrating reading all the confused posts. :)

Anyway, I hope many of you are able to take advantage of the MSD's. Seriously, it's Lexus Financial that is keeping your money, not the dealer and not some no name company. I wouldn't be too worried about them keeping your money, unless of course you turn in the car totally beat up.

I bought my car from Lexus of Glendale but Longo was willing to deal at the same price for me and so was the Lexus dealer in Valencia. You just have to be firm and willing to buy then and there. I chose Glendale because the service was great and I live in Glendale mainly.

The car is great, $471 a month, 18k a year, nothing down, brings a smile to face everytime, paying under $500 to drive a luxury car is awesome.

Went into get my first service today because the valve stem in my car was leaking, kinda my mistake, the air compressor jammed the valve. Customer service is way beyond Toyota and Ford, my other cars.
    Hey Moolman. Glad you're enjoying your car.

So, Valencia was willing to do $37.5, eh? I live 10 min away from those guys and I ended up driving 50 miles to Cerritos because Valencia wouldn't go for $37.5.
    Did any of you guys talk to Lexus of Riverside? Just curious since that's where I got my 2005 RX and had it shipped to the Northwest...very nice experience. Thanks!
    Hello Briegel.

I did not talk to Riverside. Based on recommendations on ClubLexus, I talked to Cerritos, Westminster, Mission Viejo and Valencia - the one closest to my house.
    Actually, Valencia was willing to do $37,400. I walked in with my print out from Glendale Lexus and asked for the internet person, asked them to beat Glendale by $500 so I was asking for $37,000 even. They told me to walk but were willing to do $37,400. But I figured since Glendale gave me the lowest price without haggle and they are local to me, to go with them. My wife works at a pharmacy in Valencia so I was figuring she could get service there so I was willing to go there. A reason I didn't like Valencia was they have only about 50 loaner cars compared to 150 at Glendale, sure Glendale has more customers but they always seem to have a loaner available.
  • jennbbjennbb Member Posts: 10
    it's a mistake.

My guy from Ray Catena emailed me tonight. What a flurry I've caused. He said: Thanks for referring people and keep 'em coming, but my deal was a mistake. It was the 57%/59% residual mix up and to keep my payments the $498 they quoted me, they lowered the cost of the vehicle to something so low I can't post. Doesn't matter because they won't intentionally do it again. He claims they lost money on the deal to save me as a customer.

marciabcd, dsesq & tbecker (and any others considering Ray Catena) I would still and do plan to go back to them in the future and the fact that they honored a verbal quote with a mistake that may have cost them money says a lot to me about what kind of people they are. They didn't have to do that. I had absolutely nothing in writing. I stand by my previous posts about them being fabulous.

Sorry I got everyone's hopes up, but I still think they're the lowest around. Even w/o that mistake they would have been quite a bit lower than any to the CT dealers and was well worth the drive (especially because I drove back in luxury!)

I hope you all get to too. I can't imagine any regrets.
    Moolman: Just to remind everybody, what was your car/months/deal?
  • calculuscalculus Member Posts: 6
    Hi.
    Does anyone know if I can lease a lexus 400h in california
    and would like to use it in Washington state? How does it
    work?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, you can! I live in Redmond and did that with an RX 330 two years ago. You are simply getting the vehicle from a California dealer and leasing through Lexus Financial as you would if you got it from a Washington dealer. The sales tax on the payment is based upon where you register the car and not where it is purchased. The dealer should be able to handle it all for you. The Internet Sales manager at Lexus of Riverside took care of it all very nicely for me, including shipping the car up here. Good luck!
  • cpa3cpa3 Member Posts: 89
    Moolman and Redhat....did you see my deal I had posted early last week. Thanks to your deals I was able to get this from Newport Beach Lexus.....I couldn't get them to do the MSD but even without it I did pretty good...I got $37,000...!!!and was told no one has gotten this price from them...thanks to you guys I knew what to ask for....

MSRP $44146 - RX350 FWD Nav, 18wheels, heated seats,plus more
    Cap $37000 plus $600 acquisition fee
    Term:48 months
    Miles: 15,000 per year
    Residual: 45% (four years and 15K miles)
    Money Factor: .00133
    Drive off: $839.20 (1st pmt plus DMV fees)
    Monthly Pmt: $445.89 plus sales tax.= $480.45
    Great deal, you did great too. Good luck to the rest of you.
    HI berisky.
    Do you mind telling me which dealer and the person
    you spoke to about those two offers?
    I am looking to lease one soon, REAL soon!!!

thanks.
    Calculus: It's Vista Lexus. You have to go in and take the car there and then if they offer you the deal.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Can you also let me know your purchase price?

thanks.
    $530/mo, $1500 drive off.

The MSRP was about $44,100.
  • azmarkazmark Member Posts: 4
    Hey Calculus-
    I had the same question. I live in Phoenix and tried emailing all the dealerships in So Cal to get a better deal. Several of the dealerships told me it was impossible - that I could only buy (not lease)from them. Lexus of Riverside had a different story and I got a great deal from them. In fact, my car was delivered this morning to my house without any problems. Ask for Andrea if you email or call them.
    My new RX was delivered to my house in Phoenix this moring - got it from Lexus of Riverside (CA) - Andrea was awesome - ask for her.

RX 350 NAV AWD Prem + package
    MSRP: $ 45,706
    Selling Price: $39,200.07 (includes delivery)
    Trip Permit and DMV charge =$58.25 plus first payment of $514.36 = minimum drive off of: $572.61
    36 month term
    12,000 annual miles
    Residual value % 57 = $26,052.42
    Money factor: 0.001430
    Monthly Payment: $514.36

None of the AZ dealerships could come close.

Don't let other CA dealerships tell you that you can't lease a vehicle from CA to be used in another state - they are full of it.

Happy lease hunting.
    That's good to hear, Azmark! I did essentially the same thing two years ago through the Internet Sales department at Lexus of Riverside and had my 2005 RX 330 shipped to the Northwest. This was a LFS lease also. They were great to work with...very straightforward and honest, with a good selling price, shipping included! When my lease is up next December I will more than likely do it again. Maybe the RX Hybrid this time!
    Azmark: For us dummys, can you show us how to calculate to the $514...here's what I got...

(39,200-26,052/36) + (39,200+26,052 x.001430)=

365.22 + 93.31 + 6% AZ sales tax = $486.04

Where did the extra expense come from ?

In any event, you win for making the absolute best deal.
    I'm going to show it to the salesman when I pick up my FWD NAV on Tuesday which I'm paying about $1500 more for.

Have a good new year.
    Berisky-

You are right, there is a $600 aquisition fee and $45 doc fee and the sales tax where I am is 7.75% (state + local). I just got lucky with a straightforward salesperson. Have a great new year.
  • jdjimenezjdjimenez Member Posts: 19
    For the past 2 years I have had a goal to buy a new Lexus RX for my wife. We have made every sacrifice to save the money, working extra hours & saving every cent we could so that we could pay cash for our new car. On 12-29-06 I went to Lexus of Cerritos after shopping online and made a deal with Mr. Trey Williams. I put $1,000.00 down on a car that was suppose to be on the lot on 12-31-06. I called Trey on 12-31-06 and was told that the car was there but could not be prepared on that day or on 1-1-07 because of the holiday, but the car would be ready to pick up on 1-2-07 at 4:00pm. With checkbook in hand and one very excited wife we drove to Lexus of Cerritos only to be told that our car was not on the lot yet. Disappointed but being assured by Trey that the car would be available on 1-3-07 we agreed to do the remainder of the paperwork so that we could simply come back on 1-3-07 and take the car home.
    While filling out the credit check paperwork the true colors of Lexus of Cerritos came out, now the price had changed. Trey and his manager now tell me that the car can not be sold for the agreed upon price. I showed all the e-mails and the paperwork including the $1,000.00 receipt to the gentlemen and they still refuse to honor the deal. I thought this type of shady dealing went by the wayside years ago. Lexus of Cerritos truly has made this a December to remember for both me and my wife!
    That's normal for all car dealers, that's why they get a bad rap. Just move on to the next dealer, try Longo, Glendale, Westminster etc.

Good luck
    Also try Newport Lexus.....everything was exactly as we had agreed over the phone and through emails, assuming my credit was top tier, which it was. Email me and I can tell you the person I dealt with....Sorry about your bad experience...some dealers make buying a car a horrible experience...I always feel like I have to be 100% on guard and look over everything closely. What were you ordering that required a special order? When I purchased mine 2 weeks ago every dealer I spoke with had anywhere from 50-100 RX350s on the lot in any color you wanted.
    Sorry to hear that. I had a better experience there a little while ago. Hope you get a better deal. Good luck.
    I would also contact Lexus' main office and tell them about your experience..They spend too much money on their reputation to have a unhappy potential customer. Who knows they might even put you in contact with a dealer who will get you exactly what you want.
    Thanks for the thoughts on my problem everyone. I had already sent a complaint letter to Lexus and just filed a complaint letter with the Better Business Bureau. Seems Lexus of Cerritos is well known there with 10 similar complaints over the last 90 days and an F rating.
  • atlantaroseatlantarose Member Posts: 10
    I also had an issue that I'd like to throw out there for feedback.

I recently leased an RX350 2 weeks ago. I traded in my 2005 RX 330 to the dealership, which they paid off and started a new lease for the RX350. The RX330's registration was through Dec 2006. During the process of moving my personal items to the new car, my salesman asked me for the registration, I gave it to him and said that I hadn't paid for the renewal yet. He took my registration card and then said okay let me look into it and disappeared into the dealership. During the lease signing the subject wasn't brought up again (so I figured that it'd been worked out, however in the back of my mind I wondered why they didn't give me a temporary tag but shrugged it off as "they'll probably get probably send it by the end of the month".

Long story short, I was pulled over on Dec 27th, 2006 by the local police and told that my registration was expired and there was nothing on file for new vehicle that I was driving, consequently I was issued a ticket for improper tags. I also found out that in Georgia the tag officially expires on my date of birth and not at month end. The police officer commented that at month end he likes to run tags because some drivers haven't paid for the registration by their birth date. I've since contacted my dealership to let them know what happened, they accommodated me by allowing me to pick up a temporary tag from them 3 days ago. When I asked about payment of the ticket the salesman assured me that the court would probably dismiss the ticket. Last night I received an email from the same salesman asking me for payment of the ad valor em tax on the old vehicle immediately in order to process the paperwork for the new tag. The next paragraph is what got me, he basically said that we'd discussed before my signing the lease that we'd agreed that they would not submit registration of my new tag until all documentation was in order for the old car. At this point I'm not sure what my recourse is since the later conversation never happened (not with the salesman or Finance Manager). Could someone provide me with additional insight before I proceed.
  • zerogravguyzerogravguy Member Posts: 5
    Hey Guys, long time reader here,
    Im interested in leasing a
    2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD, Premium Plus with Navigation
    ... would like to keep payments at or below $490.00 (sub 500 ballpark).

My current lease isnt up until september so I have some time yet (nothing fancy.. 2k4 jeep cherokee laredo ltd.. 36k miles, allowed total of 60k) Id bail early if the right deal came along but I dont think the current value on the jeep would cover the 16k payoff left on the vehicle.

Im in ohio and dont mind buying out of state. (aside from wanting to find a nice deal, the dealers local here dont have the prem plus packages and all their stock seems to be FWD models only).. Any suggestions you guys could offer would be much appreciated. Anyone else tried to do this? Did you buy out of state and have delivered or road trip it there and back? What are typical delivery costs? How does the RX handle on road trips? What challenges (if any) did you face at turn in time? (do you turn into a local dealer or to the same out of state dealership you leased from?) Any experience with Swapalease? (seems there are many dealers offering brand new leases there)...

Also, a couple of california dealers I chatted with said "Lexus doesnt allow us to lease out of state" which seems to contradict what Ive read here...Im kind of confused?

Anyway.. appreciate your time and thanks in advance!
    -terry
  • lexusman5lexusman5 Member Posts: 2
    Good Afternoon James, In response to your letter, I must again say as far as the car not getting here in time. I have no control over what happens at the Los Angeles port. Some cars do get delayed in delivery do to after the holiday. As far as pricing, I did stress that the reason to purchase this car before 2007 is greatly due to the special incentives for a dealer to sell that car that far under invoice. However, you insisted on buying a car not instock and was going to be due in after January 1, 2007. Believe me I do feel the frustration and do appoligize for it and wish that there was something that I could do for your inconvenience. On the otherhand, I will not be accused of stealing a deposit. Your deposit will be credited back to your card but there is a process. You may have already received it already. Good Luck and have a great day. Trey Williams
  • lexusman5lexusman5 Member Posts: 2
    I am sure that I can calculate you a payment based on Term and Miles Per Year. Do you live in the LA Area?
    Im in columbus ohio actually.. here are some numbers I came up with on my own calculations:

2007 AWD RX 350 with Nav Pack 12k miles per year:
    MSRP: 45,706
    Lease Price: 42000
    Current Loan on my Jeep: 16,000
    TradeIn value: 13,000 (appraisal from yesterday)
    DP for Cap Cost Red.: $1000
    Last Residual Factor I was given: 56%
    MF quoted @ .00134

Has me @ $508.87 on 48 month term includes 6.75 ohio sales tax.

Im getting mixed signals from several dealers in the area, First, if i throw in an additional 1000 for cap cost red. my payments should drop me to around $489. Instead, I find one dealer wants a whopping 6k to cover I the negative equity in my jeep and quoted me payments in the 600's (lower residual and this may have been @ a 36. i will review the paperwork later)... Another wanted 9400 due at signing using something called multiple security deposits to get me at payments around 530.
    ...and yet another doesnt want to give me 13k for the jeep.

Understand that I have no problem simply waiting until i turn my jeep in in september unless a killer deal comes along...

Anyway comment on my numbers above, let me know if im off or if theres anything i missed.. thanks in advance!
    -=terry
  • vrosavrosa Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

This is my first lease experience. I confess that I'm still very green on this lease thing, even though my lease is due to expire in September. That being said, this is why I'm trying to find out what's the best course of action to take, well before then.

I have a 2004 RX330 with some of the extras, but no navigation system. We've enjoyed it immensely, but would prefer to leave CA with only 1 car payment (my husband's), since we're due to transfer out of state soon. It has about 27,500 miles on it, with a current payoff/purchase amount of somewhere around $28,000. It's currently registered in TX, which is where we initially got the vehicle at.

Would we be better off purchasing the vehicle right now and re-selling it? If so, how would registration work, since we would have to register here in CA? We've also considered trading it in for something that will keep us on budget with smaller monthly payments.

Thanks for any input! ~V
    Hey V,

Im facing a similar situation (my lease also up in september) trying to get into an Rx350, except my 2004 Jeep cherokee with 36k miles doesnt retain its value nearly as well!
    Have you looked at the edmunds used cars pricing? Or (in my opinion) an even more accurate real world gauge of what your car might sell for privately, check ebay motors and do a search for "Completed Listings"
    (that will come up as an option after you input your search parameters)

I did a quick search for you. One that stood out was a 2k4 RX 330 with 37k miles that sold for $25,999.00 (that isnt taking into account whatever options they had on the car).

Login to ebay and you can view the search I did from the link below:

ebay motors search for 2004 rx 330

The listings in green are the cars that actually sold. The ones in red did not.

Good luck!
    -terry
    Interesting that the salesman would reply here. You took the $1000 deposit on the car at the agreed upon price on 12-29-06. I called on 12-31-06 and you said the car was on the lot but could not be delivered until January 2, 2007, because it could not be cleaned up. When I arrived at your dealership at the agreed time 4:00pm the car still wasn't there and you refused to honor the deal. Today is January 6, 2007 and I have instant access to my credit card account and there STILL is no credit, thats 5 days and no action. I have proof of everything that I have written here and will supply anyone who request it, can you supply any proof of your claims. At best you might be able post a credit on 1-7-07, we will see.

P.S. I did not insist on a car that was not in stock I wanted a Silver car. I really have to figure out a way to post our entire e-mail correspondence on line, that to is available to anyone who makes a request. Trey, are you willing to match that offer? This could get very interesting! Stay tuned folks.
    Trey,

Let me refresh your memory,
    E-mail from Trey 12-29-06 - "I have reviewed your price quotes and am now issuing my offer of $35,460.00 good for 24 hour due to the limited inventory available thu the weekend."

My reply 12-29-06 - "Thank you for that offer but the purchase still must be 2007, it can be done on 1-1-07 if your open & the car is available."

Reply from Trey 12-29-06 - "Sure Let me know."

12-29-06 - 5:01 pm you had your deposit.
    Zerogravguy,

I urge you to please read my post before dealing with this salesman or Lexus of Cerritos. Better yet, look up Lexus of Cerritos at the Better Business Bureau website and see their (F) rating for yourself. BE WARNED.
    Thanks Lexusman. I have been shopping around (sent emails to about 40 dealers so far). Believe me i am in no rush... Worst case I wait until september to turn in my jeep.

The jeep is worth 13-14k now and obviously by then it wont be. One of the challenges Im finding is tha many dealers want me to put up the balance of the negative equity... Which is rediculous... I can save 3k simply by waiting and being able to wash my hands of the matter in september.

Anyone else with information on any of the items in my original post? What kind of residuals are we seeing after the december to remember event? I have had one dealer quote me 56 and another quotes 48... If a dealer can give me the rates Ive specified including my jeep tradein, im signing next day... otherwise..call me sitting bull!

-ztj

Rates im looking for:
    With an MSRP: 45,709
    Lease Price: 42000
    Current Loan on my Jeep: 16,000 (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 36k miles, Lava Red)
    TradeIn value: 13,000 (most recent offer from Germain Lexus)
    DP for Cap Cost Red.: $1000
    Net Cap Cost subtotal: $44,000
    Last Residual Factor I was given: 56%
    MF quoted @ .00134

Has me at $508.87 a month on a 48 month term (includes 6.75 ohio sales tax).
    If I throw in an extra $1000 payments should be around: 486.00 a month.

How do these #'s sound to everyone else?
  • dcrotty527dcrotty527 Member Posts: 23
    moolman,
    I just got back from vacation and saw your reply, thanks.
    Could you list your post with the deal you got or other recent deals? I'm just starting to read the posts to get back in negotiating mode. I will look to other dealers since my associate's contact was a thief!
    Thanks
    Trey,
    This question was asked of me on another board perhaps you could help with the answer.

#289 of 290 Re: Truly a December to forget!!!!! by jacks2 Jan 07, 2007 (10:09 am)

JD

Reading the Auto Repair & Smog Check News Volume 1, Number 2 October–December 2006 I spotted the following information. Is this the same dealership you’re having issues with?
    "May 2006
    Lexus of Cerritos, Long Beach
    Jerry Lee Haurer, President
    Order: ARD Registration is permanently
    invalidated, stayed and placed on probation
    for three (3) years. Smog Check Station
    License is revoked, stayed and placed on
    probation for three (3) years and suspended
    for thirty (30) days. Report to BAR. Pay BAR
    $4,000.00."
    Trey,

FYI here was my truthful response.

jacks2

I am not sure that this is the same F Rated (BBB) Lexus of Cerritos that I dealt with but it sure wouldn't surprise me if it was. This is the BBB information of the F Rated Lexus of Cerritos that I dealt with:

DBA: Lexus of Cerritos
    Address: 18800 Studebaker Road
    Cerritos, CA 90703
    Primary Contact: David House,General Manager

Lexus of Cerritos Company Rating - F
    Rating Explanation:
    The rating the Better Business Bureau assigns a business is determined by our composite score of such factors as its type of business, length of time in business, compliance ...

No. of Cmpl Type of Response
    1 Making a full refund, as the consumer requested
    0 Making a partial refund
    5 Agreeing to perform according to their contract
    0 Refusing to make an adjustment
    1 Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement
    3 Unanswered
    0 Unassigned
    10Total
  • amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    Hi- does anyone have the residual/money factor factor for the 400h- 36 month/15K? Thanks.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey sls1. The following informative article that is available right here at Edmunds.com explains how to calculate monthly lease payments: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi dslucki. The truck that you described has a spread of around $4,900 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. You are being given a much larger discount on the models that you are considering than that. These look like great selling prices to me. The money factor that you were quoted is right in line with what Lexus' "December to Remember" money factor was for this truck. These look like outstanding deals to me. I hope that you pulled the trigger on one of them because Lexus' January lease program for this truck does not appear to be as attractive as its December program was.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on your new truck, jimbonyc. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your deal with everyone. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem, atlantarose. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello darballman1. A 2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD with the Premium Plus Package, but no other options has a spread of just under $4,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. You are being given a whopping $6,000 discount on the truck that you are interested in. This looks like a very good price to me. Furthermore, the money factor that you were quoted for it is right in line with Lexus' special "December to Remember" factor for this model. If you like the truck, this is a very good deal. Lexus January lease program does not look as attractive as the "December to Remember" one did, so I hope that you pulled the trigger on this deal last month.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're very welcome, cpa3. It looks like you got an outstanding deal. Congratulations on your new truck!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.