Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• noshowjoenoshowjoe Member Posts: 2
    i just bought the truck and it smokes real bad and also i just tried to start it today and it back fires real bad sounds like the fourth of July it has a 350 with 386 hp. can any one tell me where to start to fix it or start to find the problem? thanks Joe
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    A compression and cylinder leak-down test should be performed. This will isolate your problem area. However, since valve guide wear and punky valve guide seals have been a problem on small block Chevies for thirty years, I would bet that this is your most likely candidates for oil consumption. On very high mileage motors you'll start to see some oil rings cracked, or if not properly maintained, stuck oil rings.

Dusty
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Mine does the same thing. I weekly drive through one of the windiest places in the country and it isn't unusual to hear it buckle, almost always from a side wind. I don't worry about it. Strong doubts if the dealer, even if he heard it, could or would do anything about it. Sounds kind of like when you crinkle a soda can, don't it? :-)

-David
  • rmenardrmenard Member Posts: 1
    got a new 195f thermosat in my truck temp won t go over 130f, seems to have good flow. has a new heater core,flushed engine out good ,no blockages to note any ideas out there?
    could i need a new water pump?
    HELP HELP Thanks
  • fisherscfishersc Member Posts: 2
    You are not nuts, all of these body style trucks have this problem! It is definitely the very thin roof bucking - I have verified it! Have you ever washed your truck - you can not even wipe the roof with a soft towel without buckling the roof! I am currently trying to figure out how to handle. I'm sure the dealer will say he can not fix a design problem. If we get enough people to work together we may have some hope. Everybody that has one of these trucks has the same defective design. If you have some ideas how to get GMC and/or Chevrolet's attention, please let me know!

Steve
  • fisherscfishersc Member Posts: 2
    When I am driving slow in traffic (accelrate slowly to about 15 MPH and then back off the accellerator, the trans shifts like a sledge hammer into 2nd! This has started recently and is getting worse. I hate to take it in for warranty work if I don't know what the problem is. Anybody have similar problems and know what the fix is?
  • rcuevasrcuevas Member Posts: 1
    I recently developed an oil leak. I found the leak coming from the transfer case. Took my truck to the dealer they confirmed that the leak was from the transfer case. They said " something had shifted in side causing the gears to contact the case causing it to rub and wear away the case " I had the truck repaired by replacing the case new seals etc.( i inspected the old case and i could see where the moving part had eroded the case causing the pin hole ) Has any one had or heard of something like this ? My truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD crew cab 4X4 short bed 8.1 liter engine allison transmission 87000 miles
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Yeah, your transmission is about to fall off. It's warranty shop time.
  • reavesreaves Member Posts: 14
    I am hearing a noise coming from the front end of my truck. I can't tell if it is from the transmission, cv joints, front diffenential, or drive shaft. The noise sounds like two gears slapping together. I can feel a tapping in the driver's side front floor board when the noise begins. One note, the noise doesn't begin until after the vehicle is warm. Sometimes I can drive up to 20 miles before the noise begins and at other times, only 5 or 6 miles. I have taken it to 2 different dealerships and nothing was found. There are no dealerships here in Germany. Has anyone had a similar problem or possible solutions. The truck has just over 46k miles.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    They will probably do a transmission re-programming deal with the computer, if that doesn't work they need to replace the solenoids in the valve body. The longer you wait and let the trans beat itself up the more damage is done, the dealer will only replace the bad parts, if the trans still move the truck around it's considered "GOOD" until it fails completely.
  • bonreabonrea Member Posts: 48
    Has there been an official recall on the steering shafts yet? If so could someone please email me a copy to prsrt@carolina.rr.com?

Thanks
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    no recall
  • vandyuvandyu Member Posts: 9
    What is this steering shaft problem about? I own a Sierra 1500 4-wd bought new which now has 18,000 miles on it. I just noticed today a strange feeling in the steering wheel, like a catch or something, when going right on and off the interstate. I know it is a new "problem" and one of those things the dealer will never be able to find. Please tell me what your problem is and whether mine sounds like the same thing.
    Mine felt like marbles rolling around in the sterring column. Ocassionally I even had a godawful screech come from. I had that even a couple times after the shaft was replaced, but now in a long time now.
  • vandyuvandyu Member Posts: 9
    Well, that's a good description. I've just now noticed it, but only when I'm turning. Is this a known issue, or will my dealer try to tell me I'm crazy and I'll have to go back a dozen times?

What exactly do I ask for?
  • eldiamoeldiamo Member Posts: 1
    The saga is complete. The ABS sensor for the front wheels finally failed. After replacement, all of the braking problems were solved. HOWEVER, after 5 years with this truck and its never-ending continual problems I am absolutely disgusted. I never made the swap to the Japanese competition and that is my only regret with this vehicle. I would strongly discourage anyone from buying from General Motors. Performance is great, but the construction and choice of materials is a total failure.
  • gmcbobgmcbob Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2004 Sierra Z71 - lately I have noticed a mysterious squeeking/rattling noise coming from the dash (left of the guages) - anyone else have this problem and know what may be causing it?
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    My 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 EXT Cab (18K miles) has had an intermittent misfire (feels like plugs fowled out) that lasts about 30 seconds. The check engine light flashes during this time then goes on solid and the engine runs normally. A code read at the dealer indicates an intermittent misfire in #6. Dealer says plug and wires are good with no answers. It's been several weeks now without a problem. But I don't want to be left stranded. Fortunately I have an extended warranty on this truck as these kinds of problems can cost $$$. Anyone with similar experience?
    The problem as I have come to know it is the "intermediate" steering shaft has a possible design flaw and the dealers (according to other posts here) have supposed to have received a newly designed unit for them to replace the defective ones with. I don't know the full story but I have been reading about it in the forum threads for over a year. Do a search for steering and see what comes up.

When I make a turn to the left it feels (in the steering wheel) like little bumps or knocks like the joints are not working correctly.

If anyone has any information on how to get the dealer to replace the shaft please post it here. Warranty or otherwise.
    Does anyone have any information on the actual differences in the 1999 5.7L Vortec and the 2001 5.3L Vortec? I found a great looking and, seemingly great shape, 1999 4x4 Suburban on a dealer’s lot that they just took in as a trade. It has 80,000 miles and runs great. Only thing that makes me step back is the dealer is asking only $10,750 for it. Kelly Blue Book says it should be $16,000 or more.

I don't need it but if that is a good deal then I'll get it or tell you all where to find it.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Had the same problem with my chevy...its the could pack. Change that and you should be just fine.
    Yes it's a known issue, and the Dealer should know exactly what the problem is by just defining the symptoms. I rarely try to tell them what needs fixing even if i know. Just describe the sypmtoms and see what they come up with, and see where it goes.
    I meant coil pack...guess i shouldnt be typing after the Super Bowl
    Thanks bigfur. Now if I can just convince the dealer to change it out as a preventive measure. I don't want left stranded. It hasn't acted up for several weeks now, but had been in the shop twice for the same thing within a week with nothing found.

Just curious was yours under warranty?

Not to change subject, but the code read info must give them fairly detailed info as they knew how many miles ago it happened. It's starting to be a little spooky as it won't be long until they will know where it happened, what time, who was driving, how fast you are going, etc. Guess the black boxes (EDRs) already provide much info if you are in an accident.
  • neo6neo6 Member Posts: 24
    The steering shafts are bad. I just had the dealer replace mine under warranty on my 03 Yukon XL. It's a popping sound I've complained about since the truck was new and the dealer couldn't "find" the issue until GM decided to come clean on the shafts.
    Mine happened about 45,000miles...i just got a scan tool from the auto parts store, plugged it in and it said there was a misfire. Came on here and asked around and people told me to replace the coil pack. I did and didnt have another problem until...yup another coil pack failed.
  • sandhog2sandhog2 Member Posts: 22
    check with your dealer I just got a recall for front wheel ABS sensor on my 2001 silverado
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    What kind of recall was it? I have a 2001 Sierra and have not heard anything.
  • sandhog2sandhog2 Member Posts: 22
    Recall was about corrosion on front wheel ABS sensor that could cause ativation of ABS at very low speed .check with your dealer
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    I've seen a TSB concerning low-speed antilock activation in the US, but haven't seen a recall yet. I have a 2000 Sierra with less than 20k miles and it's doing it intermittently. Connected an AC voltmeter to the ABS sensor leads (per the TSB) and one read much lower than the other. Just picked up a complete front hub assembly today for about $300. I hope that does the trick. If a recall is issued in the US, possibly I will be able to get reimbursed, similar to the tailate support cable recall. If anyone has more information on a recall for this issue, please post. Thanks.
  • asawyer24asawyer24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L it has 71,000 miles on it and it idles ruff when i come to a stop light and sputters when i take off. I have no idea what the problem is and it is very frustrating!! any suggestions on what to do or what it is?
    Have you replaced the fuel filter lately?
  • bedbed Member Posts: 5
    Last night while in cruise control the "service 4WD" message came on and the indicators lights on the select buttons all went out. Truck drove OK and stayed in 2WD but I could not change into Auto or 4WD. Let set overnight and it seemed to have "rebooted" and was fine this morning. Anyone else had this happen? Will have dealer check next time in. Also, still have clunking in drive train. Not sure if it is in the transmissin, drive shaft, rear end? My 01 did the same thing. Noise is more pronounce on light acceleration. Ideas? I saw the Sierras were supposed to be recalled with a brake problem. I called dealer and they didn't know anything about it.
  • repairman9repairman9 Member Posts: 2
    I recently traded in my 01' GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab for a 05' GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab with the 8.1 liter gas engine.

Something I am finding annoying is the dash button that controls whether outside air is circulated in the cab or not does NOT remember it's setting from one start to another LIKE IT DID in my 01' Sierra. It always defaults to letting outside air in. This wouldn't normally be a problem unless you're behind a diesel cement truck or near a dead skunk first thing in the morning on the way to work which occurs on a daily basis. It's not until you realize this and the cab is full of diesel exhaust and you push the button to lock all that lovely exhaust in the cab.

But seriously, this is really annoying. Why did they change this behavior? More importantly, how do I fix it so it remembers between starts OR how can I get it to default to closed (no outside air circulation).

Thanks for any help,

-Mark
    I had a similar thing happen (service AWD) on my 00 shortly after buying it new. It turned out to be a defective electrical connector at the transmission or transfer case. At that time the dealer said it was a common problem. BTW I still have the clunking drive train too.

The one thing that the Japanese do that Detroit doesn't is correct the root cause of the problem, as in the manufacturing process, etc. With Detroit they only fix the problems as they break but never figure why. That's the reason you may still have the same problem on an 04. With GM there must be no communications between dealer service and factory design people.

When Toyota gets to 70% market share maybe they'll figure it out. There is no reason why GM and others can't do it better in the USA.
  • denndenn Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 GMC had similar problem. There is a TSR out calling for removal, special lubrication on steering shaft, and reinstall. Dealer was aware of issue and fixed it promptly (after I brought copy of TSR to them). Look up "Steering Noises".
  • down2earthdown2earth Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same trouble with 3800 miles. The service manager told me that he knew what it was, but no fix in place yet. I was in a hurry and didn't press for more info but will check back if I can remember to call tomorrow. The clunking isn't bad, yet, but it is annoying considering it is a new truck. Otherwise, I love the truck. Just switched from owning a Ford.
  • repairman9repairman9 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I just got off the phone with GM Customer Service and they told me that it took a design team to change the behavior of the recirculation switch to forget it's previous setting.

They pretty much told me to pound sand and if I even thought of changing it's behavior, they'd void my warranty.

Boy, they really told me. ;-)
  • bedbed Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I will suggest that to the dealer when I bring it in. Overall I have been happy with it. I looked at the Toyotas but felt I got much more truck for less money. And there was no comparison for space in the back of the cab between the two. My son in college has room to be comfortable back there. Good luck with your truck.
  • vegasammovegasammo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99' Sierra with 90K miles. The problem is after the engine warms up to an acceptable operating temperature, underneath the dash/glove box on the passenger side it sounds like boiling water when I accelerate?

It only does it when I accelerate from a slow rate of speed or from a dead stop? Has anyone ever heard of this type of problem? The temperature guage is reading normal? Could this be a heater core problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • cw4915cw4915 Member Posts: 1
    my service 4WD light comes on intermittently. My truck is a 99, problem seems to be the selector switch on dash. each position has a resistor that allows different voltage signal to transfer case module. Bad info from a chilton manual told me to change the front diff actuator. we'll see if they reply to my letter because I cant return a electrical item to the dealer so I installed it anyway. I agree, GM needs to fix the theory behind the application instead of each occurence.
    I'll have to look at my old records as that may have been the same fix as mine.

Common sense would say that GM, as the largest auto mfr in the world, would have a 1st rate quality control organization that would examine the root cause of failures and fix them.

Yet if you look at the poor reliability of many of their products in Consumer Reports, you can only shake your head in bewilderment. And its the same problems year after year.

There is only one reason that GM does not have the most reliable and highest quality car or truck in the world, and that is poor management.
  • rawemmrawemm Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel and just got it back from the dealer for the same problem. It has 90,000 miles and we noticed a leak that we thought was coming from the rear diff. After inspection at the dealer they said that a pump in the transfer case had failed and wore a small hole in the transfer case housing. There is a small spring on one ear of the pump that broke and allowed the pump to wear a hole in the housing. Sounds like a bad design to me. The dealer said that it had probably lost all the fluid within the first 5 miles that we drove it and caused all the bearings to freeze up on the shafts and had to replace the entire transfer case. To make matters worse, we had to wait 4 weeks for the transfer case because they are on national backorder and the manufacturer is having to find cores and rebuild them. We think that there is a huge problem with these transfer cases and GM is not letting anyone know. We would like to hear from anyone who has had this same problem. If we can get enough proof maybe some of us can get some reimbursement.
  • alf2alf2 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a reply to a very old question, but I've just bought a '99 Sierra and found the same clunk, thud or squawk (whatever you want to call it) coming from the rear end when I come to a complete stop and then again when I take my foot off the brake and start to accelerate. Did you ever find a solution to this? Thanks in advance.
  • darbodarbo Member Posts: 1
    Temp controler will turn heat up or on but will not lower the temp or turn off. It will sometimes reset to the cold or off position after the ignition is turned off then engine restarted. Any ideas what the culprit might be? Control switch, electrical or maybe control motor? Any help appreciated.
    2001 Gmc Sierra
  • mikec8mikec8 Member Posts: 16
    97 Z71, 4WD....Just before I stop, the front ABS makes a roaring sound, the pedal gets hard and kind of feels jerky. The truck doesn't feel like it will stop in time. If I press hard or quickly pump, I can get it to stop. It's intermittent and scary. Is this a simple fix like cleaning something or am I in for major work?
  • 2theedge2theedge Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2005 gmc sierra with the 5.3 l. It was a 4 door, 1500. Today, it caught on fire and burned almost completely up. The fire marshall seemed to think that it was caused by an electrical short somewhere in the dash. What would you do and has anyone else had a similar problem.
  • reconrecon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 liter V8 and 39,000 miles on it. Found out last week that the head gasket on the passenger side of the motor has failed. I was wondering if any other Sierra owners have had a similar problem?
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Call GMC customer service and file a complaint. They will perform their own inspection and if they determine the "thermal event" was due to a defect, GM will repurchase the vehicle from you. I went through this process over a year ago for a different GM model.
  • 2theedge2theedge Member Posts: 3
    I did and so far no response back. What if they determine otherwise. I mean I know how they try to get out of trying to help out the little man. I have my insurance company involved for the rental. What happened in your case. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.