Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    One of the trucks in my company's fleet caught on fire last year. I was actually surprised with how it all turned out. Like you, I was expecting them to deny my claim.

It was not a fast process. In summary, after I had called in my complaint to GM, I had to have it moved to a dealer. An inspector for GM came out to inspect it. They decided to repurchase it. Filled out the paperwork and got a check.

Again, this was not a fast process. If I remember correctly it took over a month and there were a lot of phone calls involved. Each step of the way I had to speak with a different person and different department within GM. Another colleague of mine had a similar experience with a Ford.

I did have to wait a few days before getting the initial call back. They should have given you a reference or claim number. I had to call about once a week for a status update.

You may want to ask your insurance adjuster if they have any advice or tips for you. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
  • carl442carl442 Member Posts: 1
    saw mssg. 961 and was wondering if anyone knows why abs kicks in at low speed on dry road and what the fix might be.
    thanx carl442
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ABS responds to pedal pressure and the impending lockup of a brake. If you're hard on the whoa pedal in an empty pickup, you can invoke ABS at almost any speed - the unloaded rear end of an empty bed will get to near-lockup much sooner than a balalnced or loaded rear end.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • shiftlessshiftless Member Posts: 40
    Contaminated ABS front wheel sensors will also cause the ABS system to activate at low speeds (just prior to a stop).
  • ron15ron15 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 Sierra driver side door seems to be out of adjustment. When I open the door it rubs on the door post. It's actually worn the post flat on the top. I tried moving the post, but when I loosened it, it wouldn't really move in any direction. Any ideas?
  • mikec8mikec8 Member Posts: 16
    When you say contaminated, what does it take to fix that. Is it as simple as cleaning the sensors or do they have to be replaced?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Loosen the bolts on the front of the door and try to adjust it SLIGHTY that way. Wont take much to adjust it, but if you get it way out of adjustment, its a pain to get it back.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Also try putting a floor jack with a wood board under the door edge at the outside latch / handle side. Jack it up putting pressure on it until it puts it back in position. Doesn't take much pressure to put it back in position.
  • chad1978chad1978 Member Posts: 2
    hi i have the security light in my 2001 gmc sierra 2500hd i have only got air cruise and tilt will this action still work for my truck or is there another way to get rid of it
  • chad1978chad1978 Member Posts: 2
    i have an engine misfire problem i changed out the wires and put in new plugs so only thing it could be is the coil is there any way other than spendin 85 bucks to have it in the shop hooked to a computer to find out wich cyclinder is not working?
  • nick14nick14 Member Posts: 1
    i'm baffled at this, when i start my truck i get no fuel indication on the gauge and the low fuel message appears on the message center. now from here i can put the truck into any gear and if i remain parked my fuel gauge remains at zero. if i put it in any moving gear, drive for insatnce and start moving it stays at zero, but then, while still moving if i stick it in neutral the guage will go all the way to full. regardless of how much fuel i actually have. so then i go back to drive and slowly over the course of my trip the guage will drop to the appropriate fuel level. where do i start with this.
  • gmdrvrgmdrvr Member Posts: 1
    My break problem started at 60K. I asked my service shop about a fix. I was told it could be fixed but would be costly. He then asked me if it did the same with a load. I didn't notice it all the time, so that could have been why. He told me it is common about 1 in 3. I am looking at a new Yukon XL. I asked for trade value on my "98 K1500 Ext cab long bed. NADA list for $15,000. On the trade-in sheet the tech noted ABS issue. They would give me $7000. I told the salesman, I will be back with a check for $14000 after I sell my truck. They know about the problem, they know it's not an easy fix. Did we hear about any recalls? NO! It seems like a safety concern, they are avoiding.
  • mrfixit13662mrfixit13662 Member Posts: 2
    I have had this problem with my 2000 Sierra. Dealer replaced both wheel bearings with sensors built in to them. Corrected problem. $450.00.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Its a coil pack. I have replaces two on mine at 60K already. Hook up a scan tool to figure out which pack it is.
  • mrfixit13662mrfixit13662 Member Posts: 2
    Intermediate steering shaft needs replacing.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Classic symptoms of a bad fuel sending unit or wiring/connection therein. If you have a wiring diagram, you can trace it, but likely, the sending unit will need to be replaced.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • shiftlessshiftless Member Posts: 40
    ABS Brakes activated at slow speed (just before stop). This problem on my 2K GMC was corrected by the dealer cleaning one of the front wheel sensors. There was no part replacement!
  • jimmy05jimmy05 Member Posts: 3
    With the price of gas going out of sight I would like to change my 3.73 rear gear to 3.25 or 3.08 does anybody know how many rpms I will drop, going to 3.25 or 3.08 I have a 2005 GMC 1500HD with the 6.1 motor.I do not use this tk. to pull trailers or haul heavy loads, basically I use it as a office on construction jobs.
  • 99launch99launch Member Posts: 1
    --My truck has a whining noise that is coming from the right side of the truck, and no its not my girlfriend. As the truck passes through the 800-1000rpm range it makes a whistling sound, it also does it when the rpms are around 2000rpm. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, thanx.
  • 2theedge2theedge Member Posts: 3
    ok I have been in contact with a company called, ESIS/gm central claims unit. I had to give all the info about the fire and all the items inside the vehicle. This company is a third party company for gm. I just hope this doesn't take forever ya know.
  • rustywrustyw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 gmc c1500 ext. cab 2wd with 5.0vortec, When applying the brakes at low speed, like in parking lots, there is a clunking kind of a noise, but me or my wife could not isolate the noise, but it doesn't do it at any other speeds, nor does it do it regularly. I have checked the front, hub, caliper, all suspension, nothing seemed wrong, but I dont know if it is in the front or the rear. We have a trip coming up in May, And I would really not like to have there be something wrong with the brakes, so any help soon is appriciated much.
  • intlgrindintlgrind Member Posts: 1
    Same problem on my 2000 Gmc Sierra, Have used JB weld in 3 different spots already to control leaks, after close inspection of back cover which is made of magneesium, I feel they had a casting problem and the case has been casted to thin in some areas, probably a way to save money. I sure would like to find a way for gm to recall this problem it seems to very big.. any suggestions??
  • rangerswankrangerswank Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a copy of the TSR or a web site or link where I could get this TSR, I have the same problem on my 02 Sierra.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Is from June 00 GM # 00-02-35-003 for the steering shaft fix from GM.

You will have to use the search function to look in the old Silverado problems thread for full description post #1543.

Unable to cut and paste here for ya!
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Keep us posted and let us know how it all turns out.
  • lhelms7777lhelms7777 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 01 Sierra with over 60K. When the AC is running it feels like the transmission is slipping, has anyone else experienced this?

Also read about the popping or bumping noise when turning, does anyone know if the dealer will fix this even if the vehicle is out of factory warranty since there is a TSR on it?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The dealer will not fix any TSB without charging for a vehicle out of warranty. A manufacturer's recall is another story.
  • hockeydawghockeydawg Member Posts: 2
    I have two current issues with my '99 Sierra 1500. The digital odometer sometimes does not come on when I start the truck. Typically, if I hit the trip reset button it will come on, or over time it will return.

Also, there is a grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of the truck. At low speeds (parking lots, city corners, etc.) I hear a sound like something rolling around in my glove box or something grinding. The dealership didn't know what to tell me but "didn't think it was anything serious" because they couldn't get it to happen all the time.

Any help on either of these issues would be much appreciated.
  • 2runner22runner2 Member Posts: 1
    where is the cabin filter located? how do you change it on a 2002 sierra 2500hd?
  • bordoxbordox Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Sierra 5.7 L developed coolant leakage at the rear of both heads and at mid-block on the left head at 93,000 miles. The problem was not with the intake manifold gasket. I pulled the heads, had them checked for warpage (there was none) and had them resurfaced. With new head gaskets and plenty of sealant at the appropriate places, I have gone several months with no recurrence of the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One thing I don't like about the head-bolt torquing procedure is the instruction to torque each bolt to 22 ft-lbs and then to turn each short bold an additional 55 degrees, each medium bolt 65 degrees, and each long bolt 75 degrees. Seems to me you could get a lot of variation at only 22 ft-lbs for the initial tightening on bolts of that diameter, and to go from there using degrees could result in inconsistent final torque values. I'm wondering if the leakage, which occurred in short-bold areas, was due to this torquing procedure, assuming it used in the factory.
  • jstrongjstrong Member Posts: 2
    The truck is a 1994 GMC Sierra 1500 truck w/approx 170K miles on it.

I would appreciate any feedback on my problem...
    I have had emissions problems for a few years now as can be seen in the following emissions transcript...

Emissions Inspection 6/4/2002
    Hydrocarbons (HC) – Inspection 5.3095 – Requirement 2.7000 FAIL
    Carbon Monoxide (CO) – Inspection 35.3126 – Requirement 60.0000 PASS
    Oxides of Nitrogen (Nox) – Inspection 0.4853 – Requirement 5.7000 PASS
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – Inspection 476.3944

Work Performed 8/2002
    - Adjusted Timing to 0 TDC
    - Replace Oxygen Sensor @ Catalytic Converter
    - Replace Spark Plugs
    - Replace Ignition Wires
    - Replace Distributor Cap & Rotor
    - Replace PCV Valve
    - Replace Air Filter

Emissions Inspection 8/2002
    Hydrocarbons (HC) – Inspection 0.1880 – Requirement 2.2000 PASS
    Carbon Monoxide (CO) – Inspection 1.9014 – Requirement 60.0000 PASS
    Oxides of Nitrogen (Nox) – Inspection 0.0070 – Requirement 4.2000 PASS
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – Inspection 73.1697

Emissions Inspection 7/13/2004
    Hydrocarbons (HC) – Inspection 6.7361 – Requirement 2.0000 FAIL
    Carbon Monoxide (CO) – Inspection 62.4512 – Requirement 60.0000 FAIL
    Oxides of Nitrogen (Nox) – Inspection 0.3481 – Requirement 4.0000 PASS
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – Inspection 599.9200

Work Performed 11/2004
    - Adjusted Timing to 0 TDC
    - Replace Spark Plugs
    - Replace Ignition Wires
    - Check and Clean Distributor Cap & Rotor
    - Replace Air Filter

Emissions Inspection 7/13/2004
    Hydrocarbons (HC) – Inspection 4.6401 – Requirement 2.0000 FAIL
    Carbon Monoxide (CO) – Inspection 18.6279 – Requirement 60.0000 PASS
    Oxides of Nitrogen (Nox) – Inspection 0.2441 – Requirement 4.0000 PASS
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2) – Inspection 609.0446

Work Performed 11/2004
    · Check and clean EGR valve. Valve seemed to be fine, but cleaned.
    - Two cans of GMC Top Engine Cleaner have been sprayed into carb and left to sit overnight for cleaning on two different occasions.

Still notice low throttle, low RPM miss (seems to get worse as engine temperature increases). There is a slight hesitation upon acceleration from stop. I have no noticeable problems at higher RPMs. After engine warm-up and when truck is parked, holding the accelerator slightly so that engine revs around 700 – 900 RPM (a guess), the engine will stall, revs will decrease, engine will recover and surge back to 700 –900 RPM, stall, and repeat in a cyclical manner.

I'm hoping that someone can give me an idea as to what could be the cause of my problems...I have less than two weeks before my emissions re-inspection.

I'll gladly reply if further info for diagnosis is required...Thanks
  • ricampbell5050ricampbell5050 Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 shortbed with a 4.3L engine and about 15 miles on the truck. I drive 35 miles one way to work, mostly interstate. I am only getting a little better than 16 miles per gallon on the highway. I took it to the dealer for a chek-up, but was told thiat it was ok. Anyone have any suggestions on improving the gas mileage?
  • sososierrasososierra Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 04 sierra. My dealer also thinks I am hearing things. Did you ever get the problem resolved?

sososierra
  • prairiemikeprairiemike Member Posts: 4
    I've always had good fortune using Mobil One synthetic oil, K&N air filter, and 2 psi over on all four corners. I get 19-20 mpg highway with my 2001 Sierra xcab 1500 5.3.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I don't remember it, but there is a formula for determining rpm based on gearing. Try a 4WD or hot rod magazine. They're always chaging tires and gears, might be an easy place to start. I don't think it'll make that big of a difference. Gaining 1-2mpg for the cost of swapping gears might take awhile to recover costs. I swapped in a lower thermostat in my Safari because my company van ran at 165 and out of the box my van ran at 195. I went through all the trouble and while it ran at 165, it didn't do anything to help the van that I saw. Just some food for thought.
  • mars1mars1 Member Posts: 2
    Just saw your post. Yep, every once in a while both signals come on. I am at a loss...did you find out an answer? TIA,

Steve
  • jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    I have a 99 GMC 1500 5.3l with 96K & 3 annoying problems, 1, the service 4WD light comes on and goes off about once a week, 2, my cabin fan motor works only in #3,4,5 speeds, 1&2 seem to work only while driving. And 3, when it drops below 18 degrees it runs rough, SES light comes on, I turn off the truck for 15 minutes re-start and it seems fine but the SES light remains on for a couple of days. I have replaced the throttle airfoil, fuel filter plugs etc…anybody experience this? Are there any quality brake pads on the market that will get this truck to stop faster than it does currently? Thanks,
  • mekchalngdmekchalngd Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Sierra and am experiencing a vibration as well around the 50-60MPH while lightly accelerating. As soon as I back off or "step on" the accelerator, the vibration stops. I recently had the rad changed and it started after that. The garage said that our tires were worn, so we changed those, still there. Changed the tranny fluid, still there..
    It used to do it only while in OD, not in 3rd, but now it appears more often. I've tried to sustain the vibration, but it cuts in & out, like a fan turning off and on, or something trying to "kick-in".
    I tow a trailer with heavy equipment and want to get this fixed, but nobody seems to know what the problem is.
  • gunsntrucksgunsntrucks Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 01 GMC Z71... Not sure if the 97 is the same way, but the speed sensors in the ABS sensor (for each wheel I believe) were faulty or very dirty. I was fortunate that I had just gotten the truck a week before, and I told the dealer to fix it.. Not sure what it normally costs though.. Same symptoms, i'd be on dry pavement very low speed, not even jamming on the brakes.. and the abs would kick in.. I crapped a brick and almost through my truck in park once cause I couldn't stop and almost re-ended someone in a traffic jam where we reached all of 10 mph at best.. it was a scarey trip!! Good luck!
  • mpearcempearce Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Sierra that has a loud clunk noise, It is usually right under the center of the cab part, I had the transfer case off and taken in for inspection but it turned out ok, Now the clunk is mostly right under the 4WD shifter and it moves the shifter back a little when it clunks, When you hold the shifter, you can feel it , Its like something hits it hard, Ok thats when its in 2WD, then when I put it in 4WD, the clunking is in the back, Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks,
  • billybob44billybob44 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2001 Z71 Silverado last week and the ABS was coming on at low speeds. Took it in to have it looked at and $600 later it was fixed. Same issue as everyone else on here: corroded sensor mounting surface, but mine were totally frozen in the hub and ended up having to replace them. Then this morning, while still totally P.O.'d about this, I heard on the news that the NHTSB is investigating this problem on all 1998-2002 GM Light Trucks and may force a recall. It has caused accidents due to the ABS coming on at low speeds and not stopping the truck quickly enough. My recommendation is for EVERYONE who has had this problem log into the NHTSB website and log your complaint. Maybe I'll get my $600 dollars back!
    I had my "new" used 2001 Siverado in the shop with a similar clunking noise at very low speed, when applying the brakes and coming to a stop. It clicked with every tire revolution. I thought it was in the FRONT, related to my ABS problems, but no, it was actually a REAR AXLE SHAFT problem. They had to replace the left rear axle shaft because it had too much "lateral play" in it. That fixed it alright, for only $650 of course. I have never heard of this type of problem, but the mechanic seemed to know about it. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHY REAR AXLE SHAFT WEAR CAUSES A CLICKING NOISE? Or what causes rear axle shaft wear? I'm an engineer, but I am clueless on this one.
  • mikec8mikec8 Member Posts: 16
    OK...by all the posts, I'm convinced my ABS sensors are dirty, rusty, or something. I pulled the front calipers (brakes in good shape) and looked around but couldn't find anything that looked like a sensor. Can anyone tell me where they are and how to access them?.......Thanks
    Follow the wire that runs to the top inside of the caliper. The sensor is on the end of that, pushed down into the bearing housing. The best pictures and explanation of this problem is at: http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/gb0804.pdf . This is a pdf file that shows pics and an explanation. Good Luck!
    I'll answer my own question, since I talked to the mechanic. He said the shaft was bent by 7/1000 laterally. That caused the hub (that the wheel studs are on) to wobble slightly when it rotated, causing it to click against the internal brake band (on the emergency brake part inside the disk brake hub). Too wierd. He said it may have taken a blow to the side of the tire to bend it. I wonder if it was made that way and I am the only one to be concerned about the slight noise...
  • dantanadantana Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 ext. Cab. I have had the same problem with drivetrain vibration. Have been trying to diagnos for past year. Changed all U-Joints but did not fix problem. My mechanic sent out to a Transmission Repair Facility, and they found that the converter on my trany was pulling apart which was causing the vibration exactly as you described.

They recommend rebuilding the trany and replacing the converter at a cost to me of $2500 with 3 year 36k mile warranty.

Good luck
  • joejojoejo Member Posts: 2
    i"m having the same problem but getting worst. it sometimes bang into gears
    in stop and go traffic. i hear the rear diff bang like thirs to much play in it. the trans
    seams to also slip a little. the dealer trys telling me thats normal. Ya O.K not
    for a 35K truck. i only have 5k miles on it and they told me i would have to live with it until it brakes down so they find the problem.
  • nspidellnspidell Member Posts: 2
    97 GMC 4X4 ext cab

between speeds of 50-68 MPH especially going uphill or pulling any kind of a load, this rig has a severe clunking noise that sounds like the old U-Joint sound.

Engine runs good, both front and rear differentials have been checked, and I put a new tranmission in it two days ago.

The vehicle throws no codes of any kind.

Most of this clunking started right after I had to replace the head gaskets.

Three different GM dealers have checked the clunking and all of them have ridden with me.

Wonder what's left?

Norm in Idaho
  • nspidellnspidell Member Posts: 2
    Just read your email about the vibration in the drivetrain. This 97 GMC has the same thing only when I let off on the gas between 52-68 MPH the whole truck vibrates...when I am pulling a load or going up hill it is much worse.

Tranny is three days old and did not cure anything. All differentials have been gone through...engine throws no codes.

Can't drive it comfortably and can't sell or trade it the way it is.

Norm
  • weelsweels Member Posts: 33
    My truck does this when I go through the new brushless car washes. The only idea I can think up is to take the headliner out, and see if there is any access to the area between the panels (at least part of the roof is double) and squirt some builders foam (like Great Stuff) into the void to try to stiffen it up. If you have clearance lights you could pop them off and get to it there. I'm going to try it this summer.
    -Tim
This discussion has been closed.