Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Lease Questions

Comments

• cinci5313cinci5313 Member Posts: 19
    Probably a typo. May have meant $21,800 as the value at lease end, which is around the 54-56% residual value.
  • toddh3toddh3 Member Posts: 16
    My bad guys....

Gross Cap Cost is $31,800 with taxes and everything else totals $33,441. At lease end, the purchase price is $19,798.
  • sahil908sahil908 Member Posts: 60
    Hi Toddh3,

Can you please provide me with the dealer's name? Thanks.
  • toddh3toddh3 Member Posts: 16
    Lynn Nissan in Bloomfield, NJ. Good Luck!
  • jimmar01jimmar01 Member Posts: 1
    Please comment if you think I got a good/bad/average deal today:

2009 Maxima S (~$31K Sticker Price)
    39 Months
    $600 upfront ($355 1st Payment + $245 Motor Vehicles Fees)
    $355 a month (includes NJ 7% taxes, Bank Fee, all other fees in the payment)
    Termination Fee - $395
    Thanks Toddh3. I think you got a good deal. I am still shopping around for a Maxima. I am not sure if i want the sports package or prem. Anyways, You think I can use your name as reference when I deal with sales people at Lynn Nissan in Bloomfield, NJ? Can you please email me the sales person's name? my email id is ansari.mohammed at gmail. Thanks again.
    Hi Toddh3, did you have any trade-in? or is that all the #s?
  • nickmaxnickmax Member Posts: 9
    I'm in Long Island, NY I got a 09 SV silver no nav, with 1st payment and bank fee ($595) down; 39 months 15K/ year, $406 month. including taxes and junk fees.

What do you guys think? the S was like $382
  • carman56carman56 Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking to lease a nissan maxima sv w/ premium package in the South Florida Area. I have seen some fantastic posts with great offers from around the country, however the two posts I see from south Fl. are much higher than those from NJ or Phili? Is it possible to get these offer in South Florida? If there is someone who recently leased in S Florida where did you go and what was your deal?

Please help.

sticker: 37,790
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi sahil908. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Maxima 3.5 S with 12,000 miles per year are .00139 and 56%, respectively.

Nissan is providing a special $750 cash incentive on leases of this car in your area (its Northeast region). Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating your car's selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I completely agree with your thoughts on the dispo fee, smarty666. While charging one is a fairly common practice nowadays, these fees annoy me to no end. As if it's not bad enough that most banks whack you with a $600 acquisition fee at lease-signing, now they want to charge us for giving our vehicles back at lease-end. Grumble, grumble, grumble :mad: .

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_man. It seems like it makes more sense to lease 3.5SV. Is it true that the residual value for 39 month lease 12k miles/yr for Max + Prem package is 53%?

In any case, the dealer offered me $2300 out of pocket and $369/month for Max with Premium package and rear spoiler. MSRP was 37380, I think the selling price was 33,784 I am not sure if this includes the $750 cash rebate + $500 customer loyalty cash that he said I was entitled to. #s almost add up if i use 32534(33784 - 750- 500) Does this sound like a good deal? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks all.
    Hi Car_man,

Can you please post MF and Residual values for the month of september for 3.5S and 3.5SV for 12k miles/yr and 39 months? Also, can you please post any available incentives for leases? BTW, I am in NY region. Thank you.
  • marc63082marc63082 Member Posts: 18
    Just got 2009 Maxima 3.5 SV, with cold package & bluetooth package, splash guards. MSRP $34,430.

Selling price $31,325 (including $750 nissan rebate.incentive)
    New York State Tax is 8.775%

Down Payment of $1,150 (1st month + $595 Acquisition Fee + dmv fee)
    Monthly payment of $385 (including tax)

Thoughts?
    Hi Marc, Did you just get the car today? What was the MF and Res Val on this car?
  • lucianollucianol Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know the september lease rates ? 36 months 15k for an
    SV with sports package
  • marc63082marc63082 Member Posts: 18
    I have to look at paperwork, but I think the money factor and residual were .00076 and 54%, respectively.
    No problem sahil908. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2009 Maxima 3.5 SV with 12,000 miles per year are .00066 and 52%, respectively.

If I was interested in leasing an '09 Maxima right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of $500 over dealer invoice. You can look up this car's exact invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey sahil908. I just gave you the numbers for the VS. NMAC's Sept. numbers for a 39 month, 12k lease of an '09 Maxima 3.5 S are .00126 and 54%. Nissan is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi lucianol. NMAC's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Maxima SV with 15,000 miles per year are .00066 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 Maxima SV Sport are .00165 and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_man for all your help. I decided to take advantage of the 0 APR. One of the local dealers offered me a selling price of $2000 under invoice @ 0 APR for 60 months. I figured it would be cheaper than the lease if I kept the car for a long time. Thanks again for all your help guys.
  • maximadrive5oomaximadrive5oo Member Posts: 1
    Once I agreed on a price for the lease, What other fees can I expect once I am with the finance manager?
  • lucianollucianol Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Car_man for getting back to me. I did receive those numbers on a quote.
    .00066 mf and 52 % residual value for a 2009 for 36/15. I hope I can get something done soon. Looking at a SV with sports package. 36,200 msrp. Best quote so far was 32,150. But I recently discovered a $1500 loyalty incentive.
    You're very welcome, sahil908. You did well for yourself. Two grand under invoice plus 0% for 5 years is an excellent deal. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • srizzosrizzo Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to lease an '09 Maxima SV with premium pkg & tech. Just wondering what the best deals were out there? I bid it out to dealers in both NY and NJ. I always like to know how low the bar has been set before I negotiate. Thanks!
  • srizzosrizzo Member Posts: 3
    Can someone please explain how the money factor and residual values work when leasing? Do they generally make for better deals as the model year ends? Or when the new model year begins? I am looking at leasing an SV. Thanks.
    Hi maximadrive5oo. At lease signing most consumers have to pay their vehicle's first month's payment, a security deposit equivalent to that payment rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 increment (NMAC usually waives this), a $595 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, lucianol. Good luck in your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi srizzo. The following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com contain all of the information that you would ever want to know about money factors and residual values: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, lease payments are composed of two main parts, the interest portion and the depreciation portion. Money factors are used to calculate the interest and residual values are used to calculate the depreciation. This oversimplifies things a little bit, but that's the general idea.

The "sweet spot" for leasing probably happens some time in the middle of the model year, early enough that vehicles' residual values have not dropped too low but late enough that the manufacturer has introduced some decent money factor support.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks.
  • peruggiaperuggia Member Posts: 6
    To anyone out there looking at Maxima leases, I just picked up a 2010 maxima sv with mats cold pkg trunk org ... for $586 total due at signing and $397/ month including Pa's 9 % lease tax . It residual is 57% with a money factor of.00160. I have been watching these deals for a while and just had to pull the trigger. I was quoted the same out of a pocket and $378 for a 2009 maxima s just last week. I got this deal at O'Niel Nissan in Warminster Pa. Let me know what you think. I was told I got the entire $892 hold back in the deal and I tend to believe them. Good luck everyone
  • djdezdjdez Member Posts: 110
    Car_man ... it's been a long time! Thanks for all your help in the past. I was wondering if you had the October residuals and money factors for the 2010 Nissan Maxima SV.

I'm looking at the SV with Premium package ... and looking for both 36 and 39 month lease figures at 12k miles per year. Did they change from September? And, is the $750 still available to be applied to the lease?

Thanks!!!
  • njshorewillnjshorewill Member Posts: 17
    I was ready to "unjoin" this forum since I leased my '09 Maximas SV w. the Sport Package back in January, so I wasn't planning on a new car until 2012...Well thanks to getting broadsided by one of those bucket trucks from the Phone Company, I guess I'll be shopping sooner than I thought.

Spun at least once, all I remember is BANG, breaking glass, and a blur of airbags. It took out both doors and rear fender on the passenger side, rt rear wheel is at a 45 degree angle, lower rocket panel, bumper, trunk and some damage on the "C" panel, rear door about 10 inches into the passenger compartment (Thank God my dog wasn't with me). Even the glove compartment, console and trim are all popped out of whack!

Does anybody think insurance will choose to fix it and NOT total it?

I owe about $31K on lease & residual. Book value maybe $33-34K. Has anyone been in this circumstance? I put down $4,500 (the money factor was .028 when I got it)...Has anyone ever gotten money back on any equity you had in a car?

This could have been a lot worse, but I'm bummed...my car was black with Frost Gray, and 2010 SV Sport only gets black this year (I like lighter interiors), plus I had paid to have painted pinstripes, and aftermarket body side moldings and chrome rocker panel mldg. (Oh well)

The REAL irony...I was coming back from the body shop to get an estimate for a dented left front fender & bumper that was hit in a parking lot ($2,000)..this happened 2 weeks AFTER I had to have the front bumper reinstalled after it got caught on my dog's lead pulling out of the garage (can you say money down the drain?).

It could have been a lot worse, if it was the other side I wouldn't be sitting here telling you about this.

Anybody have advice for dealing with insurance, so amybe I can recoup SOME money? I have NJ Manufacturer's Insurance who is VERY good to work with, and I don't get charged for acccidents or tickets (oh, did I mentioned I got one of those too because I had to cross oncoming traffic to get into the parking lot?
    You're very welcome, sahil908.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome back djdez. I'd be happy to help you out. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Maxima SV with 12,000 miles per year are .00177 and 58%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease of this car are .00177 and 57%.

Yes, the $750 cash incentive is still available on leases of the 2010 Maxima in select areas (the Northeast and FL).

Car_man
    Host
  • djdezdjdez Member Posts: 110
    Thanks Car_man! I appreciate the figures and the quick response. However, I knew I should have asked about 2009 numbers as well! I still have the September #'s but was wondering if they changed for October on the 2009's - since I just found out there are still some 2009's left .. and I almost pulled the trigger on one last month.

Looking for same October #'s on a 2009 Maxima SV for both 36 month/12k miles and 39 month/12k miles.

Thanks again!
    Sorry about your loss njshorewill. Well I honestly dont know the answer to your question, but I hope all the passengers in the car are okay.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I'm from NJ and I know my car insurance company covers what the car is worth and the gap insurance you get from Nissan financing covers the rest but I'm afraid all that money you put down just goes down the drain; $4500 down was way to much money to put down; your unfortunate circumstances is exactly the perfect example why you put down the smallest amount possible on a lease because if the car is stolen or totaled in an accident, the latter being your case, you will never see your down payment again; wish things could have worked out better for you and hope everyone involved is okay!!
    Now that it's 3 days later, and I hd a chance to look at my car, I somehow doubt it's going to be totaled.

But I know I'll never really feel safe and secure driving a car that's had it's entire right side, structural beams, possibly chassis & undercarriage, and rear suspension (which I have been told WILL require replacement), brakes, bumper & assembly, not to mention a replaced interior (the headliner (the headlinere on my '05 was replaced 3 times, they could never get rid of the squeek!), all trim, etc have to be replaced because of Air bag deployment, removal of the dash to replace all of the sensors and computer wiring, new seats, motors, etc...I am going to have the $2,000 needed to fix the parking lot hit added to this claim (I'm not paying $500 deductible twice)...it seems the car will be rebuilt backward from its origial assembly (shouldn't the suspension, underbody and chassis be the basis of the platform that the rest of the car is built?

The guy said the only reason the roof didn't buckle was because I had the sunroof open.

I'm sure no matter how good of a job they do, there will be rattle & squeeks...I'll be driving a car whose only original paint will be the left doors, rear quarter panel and roof. Nissan will likely blame anything problems going forward on the accident, so there goes my warranty for the next 3 years.

In looking over my lease, I can't believe how STUPID I was in constructing this lease. I squeezed every penny out of the dealer on the purchase price of the car (actually got it BELOW cost).

But focusing on the monthly payment (I live on a fixed income, so I need to stay within certain limits) and to make affordable payment, my cap cost was $3,400, which included 10,000 miles bought @ .10 figuring I needed 18K per year (My '05 Maxima had 18K, and I was about 4,000 miles over when I turned it in, but at that time I had a job where I travelled 120 miles round-trip 3-4 times a week...that's evaporated thanks to the Sub-prime Mortgage Industry debacle) so I've only put 7,300 on this car in 10 months)...so there's $1,000 wasted, PLUS, in NJ, you pay for a 4 year registration ($250). If I do have to get a new lease, I can't transfer registration, so THAT's Lost. :mad:

My residual is $18,500. BUT, again to keep the payment lower, $1,200 in Sales Tax is lumped into that figure. I wonder if I have any ground on that, since I've only incurred $300 of that, the balance would be a "GIMME" to Nissan - so much for whatever I saved off MSRP or Dealer Invoice. :(

I guess this is all going to be a BIG Question Mark until I know what my insurance company is going to do. The picture SHOULD be clearer by this time next week.

I HOPE that I'll be checking in with some good news, and even tho' I'll have lost money on this car, I'll be asking for advise on negotiating for a NEW car.

I know I've gained an education the HARD way in the past 3 days.

I'd appreciate your input about how you'd feel about having to keep a car that's been so severely damaged. Wish I could post some pics. :sick:

Take good care!
    Will">
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    A few points...

1) With all the damage being to the rear of the firewall, and the car being relatively new.... the chance of it being totaled is remote. (It's a $30K+ car, after all).

2) If it isn't totaled, then don't worry about the way you structured the lease..it really doesn't matter. That's more of a lesson for next time. In fact, don't worry about it, even if it is totaled.. what's done is done. The NJ tax in your lease is paid upfront to the state... It's gone.. The sales tax being rolled into your lease payments doesn't affect the residual. That number would be the same, no matter what you put down or what costs you rolled into the CAP cost.

So.. assuming you get the car back...

1) This is one of the major benefits to leasing... At the end of the lease, you turn that car in and walk away. It may be worth $5K-$7K less, because of all the damage, but you won't be out one dime extra.

2) As far as future problems? It's hard to know... We had a leased car that took a major hit at just a year old.. Only one minor problem during the next two years of the lease. And, no driveability issues. Your experience may be different. But, again... if the car is problematic, it isn't forever... It's going back at the end of the lease.

3) If the work is done correctly, then your Nissan dealer isn't likely to blame any problems on the repair work. Your warranty is still intact. It's possible, but not likely you'll have issues with it.

A lot of these issues you can do nothing about now... it's water under the bridge.. Some people would say you were better off buying the car.... that way, you could dump it, if you didn't like the result... But, in that case, you'd be out many, many more thousands of dollars. Getting into a major accident really brings out some of the major financial advantages of leasing..

Good luck!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    well I'm glad to hear your car wasn't completely totaled and hopefully things will work out for your as they sound like they will; you wouldn't believe when I went to lease my 2010 Max how pushy Nissan was for a 39 month lease, telling me that was the best one to get at the best price;

another lesson I learned over the years is that you never lease longer than the warranty period for a car because if anything happens to that car after warranty and your leasing your paying to fix or replace stuff on a car you don't or won't ever own yourself; I told the salesman how leasing past the warranty period doesn't make any financial sense and he didn't know what to say; for Nissan you want to lease for 36 months which is what I did; Toyota and Honda understand their warranties and advertise 36 month leases but for some reason Nissan seems to forget their warranties are only for 3yr/36k as well and advertise 39months;

if you get suckered into a 39 month lease with Nissan, not only is your car going to be out of the warranty for 3 months during the lease, you have to pay 4 yrs of motor vehicle fees/registration, as you mentioned; your paying for 9 months of motor vehicle registration you don't need because you won't have the vehicle anymore if you decide to return it; with a 36 month lease you'll only pay 3 yrs of MV registration, etc

anyway, hope everything works out for you; best regards!!
    No problem, djdez. Here's the 2009 info.

Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s October buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Maxima SV with 12,000 miles per year are .00081 and 53%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00081 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
  • procrastinatprocrastinat Member Posts: 4
    What's up guys...been lurking around here for a bit, just joined. I traded in my 06 Maxima SE in August and am in the market for new Max. I went to the dealer I leased the 06 at and heres the figures they gave me. (Dealer in NJ)

09 Maxima S

39 month lease 12k miles per yr
    Msrp 31,230
    $2,500 (out of pocket) includes taxes and fees(NYS by the way)
    $1,000 nissan loyalty
    $289 per month

Please me know what you guys think of this deal. Although I have leased one car in the past, I consider myself a newbie. Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    DON'T pay the Sales Tax up front..Pay it monthly as you go along.

I still don't know what's going to happen with my car...we're closing in on $19,000 in damage, and they're still talking repairs....

Back to the point, I paid all of the sales tax as part of my Cap Cost Reduction. I've made 9 payments on the car. If it is declared a total loss, I will have paid $900 in taxes for unincurred expenses, and I know I won't recoup those funds.

Also if you should move to another state, that state will require whatever THEIR sales tax amount be added to your payment. That happened to me when I was working in CT, and had my mailed forwarded there...I quickly changed it to my parent's address in NJ.

Try to have you monthly statement show your car payment and tax separately. The IRS is going to allow sales tax deductions on major purchases if you itemize.

Back to my situation, Regardless, I'd rather eat the $900 rather than have to keep an essentially destroyed then rebuilt vehicle, that will more than likely me be nothing but a headache going forward. I also suspect that my warranty will be essentially voided since there will be so many replacement parts, and they will lkely blame any problems on the accident.

Also, NMAC, does NOT get involved in any of the claim process or adjustments.
    I wanted to make this a separate post, wondering if anyone has been in my sitaution..where the car is thisclose to being declared a total loss.

Has anyone ever gotten an independent arbitrator to inspec their vehicles and/or settle the matter.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me..my head is really spinning over all of this.
  • candy7371candy7371 Member Posts: 10
    Hi there... I got a quote today for a 2010 maxima 3.5 SV with premium and sport pckg... MSRP $38,400

Lease is for 39 months
    12,000 miles
    $1900 down (incl tag and first month)
    Also they are paying the last pymt on the car I currently lease now which is $430
    pymt will be $445 tax included

Does this sound like a good deal? :confuse:
    It's been a hectic week and a half since I last posted, but to let you know that my insurance company DID declare my Maxima a total loss, and the appraiser intended to all along. The $17K estimate did not include structural damage at the "B" Pillar, Frame, etc, which he estimated at another $3,000 to $5,000. I didn't even notice that the roof was even buckled!

It was the Body Shop that was pushing to fix the car (hey, how many days do you get a $20K job to do?). When I got in contact with Adjustor and Appraiser and told them that the body shop was pressuring me to authorize them to start work, they cut the cord...they said that their experience with such severely damaged leased vehicles come back to bite them at lease turn in.

Between Insurance Settlement and Gap, I won't be out of pocket, and I should get back the prepaid Sales Tax and Excess Mileage, plus anything else, so I should get over $2,000 back.

So this should be the end to this saga...I'll start a new post about MY....
    I had essentially worked out a deal before my Insurance Carrier declared the car totaled, so all I needed to do was do the paperwork...

Here's the deal I got

Maxima SV w. Sport and Monitor Package, Mats & Splash Guards...Sticker $36,980 (Invoice $33,950). Negotiated price to $33,750.

Received $1,750 in rebate money under the "Tent Sale" event...applied to downpayment, also paid $1,750 out of pocket.

$3,500 down, inc. Cap Cost Reduction, 1st month, Acquisition Fee, DMV,

39 Months,
    15K Miles (Prepaid 9,750 miles @ .10 - $975. Damned if I paid/damned if I didn't)
    $421 plus tax.

Got Crimson Black with Charcoal Leather Great Color, still wish they had Frost Gray)

So in all, I paid $2,750 Less out of pocket, paying about $20 a month for a car that stickered for almost $2,000 more than the 2009 Maxima that I leased less than 10 months prior.

Also, everyone should remember that the IRS is allowing a Sales Tax deduction for the purchase of a new automobile on their 2009 Tax Returns.
    Congrats man....everything worked out for the best!
  • rodolanrodolan Member Posts: 6
    I was told you couldn't deduct sales tax on a leased car. Hope I 'm wrong but the owner of a dealership said since you don't actually take ownership of the car you can't take the deductions.
This discussion has been closed.