Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Murano Lease Questions

Comments

• sixfivesixfive Member Posts: 45
    "Let me begin by saying that $5,000 is way too much money to put down on a lease. I always advise consumers not to make any sort of capitalized cost reduction when leasing. Those who make them risk losing them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. You would be much better off going with a zero down lease, even through it means that your monthly payment will be higher. "

After reading the above, and I've always dished out the same advice, it occured to me that our Allstate new car/gap coverage would take care of any down payment if we lost the car. Wouldn't the coverage allow for the purchase or lease of a new vehicle with nothing but deductables out of pocket? The coverage is cheap and should be purchased anyway since most cars depreciate faster than the payments are made in the early months of the lease, exposing lesee's and owners.

Also, we struggled with the FX35 vs 09 Murano decision as both loaded were within 10 bucks a month on a 39 mo lease. We opted for the Murano even as the engine is sitting the wrong direction. Better technology and a better interior. As a G owner, it was time for a new interior design. The ride is beautiful and the power seamless. We made a great decision.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Also...I may be wrong about this, but isn't gap insurance provided as part of Nissan leases? I could swear I heard this somewhere, but to be honest, I can't remember where... (I personally still don't put money down on a lease, but I think with the gap protection, it's less of a concern, right?)

Congrats on the Murano - we're loving ours (4 days old now ;-).
    I have heard that but the dealer used Hann financial to do the lease - NJ based firm I believe. Better rate but we were not covered for GAP needs according to the contract. 5k down on a lease is silly at sub 5 money rates. Cash in your pocket is king.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jamriman. There's almost no question that your Murano will be worth less than its lease-end purchase option price, but it is difficult to say whether Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. (or whichever bank you are leasing it through) will be willing to lower its price for you. Some banks will, but many banks won't. The only way to find out for certain will be to place a call directly to NMAC a month or two before the scheduled end of your lease. If your initial contact there is unwilling to work with you, try working your way up the ladder to a manager. Again, there's no guarantee that they will be willing to work with you, but you don't have anything to lose by trying. There's absolutely no reason to pay more for your truck than what a similar one would sell for on the open market.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here's the information that you're looking for, grossie. NMAC's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Nissan Murano SL AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00250 and 55%, respectively. This money factor is enhanced to .00225 for current Murano owners and lessees. I don't believe that NMAC offers leases with only 10,000 miles per year, but if it did its residual value for this vehicle would probably be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sixfive. Gap insurance covers the difference between what you owe the bank on your car or truck and what it your insurance company is willing to pay you for it if it is totaled. However, I do not believe that it will reimburse you for any down payment that you made on your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • jamrimanjamriman Member Posts: 14
    Hi Car_man,
    Many thanks for your answer! I'll have to wait and see like you said. In the meantime if anyone out there is willing to take over payments of $370 per month on a perfect 06 with around 12000 miles, until lease ends Sept 09, send a pm. Thanks!
  • pasell3pasell3 Member Posts: 15
    Hello -
    I'm wondering if Carman might be able to give me a rough idea of lease price for the following:

I live in Rhode Island.

Looking two vehicles: 1st is a 09 SL with EVERYTHING except the 20 inch tires (tech, nav, no rear DVD) I believe the MSRP on that is 38750

Next I am looking at the LE with everything AND the 20 inch tires and MSRP is 39700.

I do NOT want to put any money down on the lease because I was told that would be a WASTE OF $$.

Here's the thing. This is 4 work. I travel between 2500-3000 miles/month. The Murano is the PERFECT vehicle because I live in my car most of the time, and this is the most comfortable that I have driven, offers the size I need, and gets better gas mileage than the others that I have driven that are comparable (MDX, RDX, Lexus 350, Highlander Limited, Honda Pilot Touring, and Infiniti FX).

Therefore, I need between 25,000-30,000 miles/year on my lease. I was told by the dealer that would be no problem.

So, here we are. Now I'm trying to figure out, roughly, what I might expect my monthly payment to be on the 25K/year vs. 30K/year.

I'd buy it and plop down about $5-$6K ($3k for my trade) but I think that putting about 150K miles in 5 years would make that a dumb decision on my part.

Can you help me here? Thank you for the help!!
  • pasell3pasell3 Member Posts: 15
    I guess this model is just not popular to lease with not many posts here.

I'm planning on going to dealership tomorrow morning and get the following lease finished:

09 Murano LE AWD No Navigation.
    Leasing for 39 months 15K/year miles
    MSRP $37,700
    Cap Cost $33,640
    56% residual
    .0025 MF
    $500 downpayment to cover 1st month and reg fee

$498/month for 39 months with 15K/year.

Does that sound about right? I live in RI and sales tax is 7%

Thoughts are appreciated if it gets read on time. Thanks!!
  • pgreene1026pgreene1026 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'm looking at a Murano SL AWD with Leather, Premium, and Dual Moonroof. My dealer gave me the following quotes:
    Price: 31,718
    12K Miles
    $1,500 due at signing
    36 months - 499 - 19,148 residual (60%)
    39 months - 478 - 18,800 residual (59%)
    48 months - 462 - 15,318 residual (48%)
    60 months - 419 - 13,578 residual (43%)

The finance guy told me that US Bank was better then Nissan and that US Bank had a money factor of .00197. I read in an earlier post about the MF and Residuals going down in September. My lease isn't up until Sept 25th and I was only going to act now b/c I've heard that the lease deals will only get worse. Does anyone has any info or advice? Is this a good deal and would you wait or act now on this deal?

Thanks!
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    There will always be a better deal around the corner, but if you are happy with what the dealer has presented to you, then go for it, but don't lease more then 39 months... People get the itch for a new car about every 36 months....
  • mndavemnmndavemn Member Posts: 10
    I just received the following lease Murano SL quote and was hoping for advise on how to counter. $38,270 msrp, $35500 sale. $2000 down, $559/month for 39 months. (.00280 money factor with 53% residual). Thanks in advance!!! :)
    forgot to mention that it was 15k miles a year...
    The money factor seems high. That's not a great deal. Take the down payment off the table and drop the money factor to .002 or less. Our LE leased was for 39 mos and 12k miles was an MSRP of 40k and we put 700 down and pay 570 mo. You got a ways to go it seems to me.
    thanks for the help. since i was getting similar quotes all over town (minneapolis) i checked inventory and called a dealer 100 miles south. saved over $2500. thanks!
  • hudginskhudginsk Member Posts: 8
    Car_Man,
    I am looking at a 2009 murano SL, list: $34730. Invoice: $32122.00.
    The auto is equiped with sun roof, tech, leather, premuim package
    splash guards and carpet protector. I have a friend that works for Nissan and can get me employee pricing. Do you know what the auto would sell for using the nissan employee discount.
  • hactehahacteha Member Posts: 1
    I may be interested in taking over your lease if it is still available.....but do not know how to pm on here..im new. Can you message me? thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    2009 Murano SL AWD (with leather, moonroof and prem.pkg, if that matters.. no NAV)..

Money factor and residual for 39month, 15K/yr term... Tried to reverse engineer the numbers from the advertised lease on an S-AWD model and got 57% and .0025.. Just wondered if that was correct, and if it applied to the SL-AWD model, equipped as noted above...

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    (just shopping!)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Welcome kyfdx ;) . Your reverse engineering was spot on with the factor, but a little high on the resid. Here you go. NMAC's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2009 Murano SL AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00250 and 53%, respectively. This money factor is enhanced slightly to .00225 for loyal customers. Nissan is providing $500 bonus cash and $1,000 loyalty cash on all '09 Murano transactions.

Car_man
    Host
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    53%, huh? Not so great...

I was extrapolating from the residual on the S-AWD model that they are advertising... The residuals must be better on that model..

Thanks Car_man!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mnslfcmnslfc Member Posts: 3
    Here is the deal, my husband is upside down 6 K in a 2004 Tahoe, worth 6K owe 12K, so we are trying to trade-in the Tahoe and lease a 2009 Murano LE AWD MSRP 40, 460 Sale 39, 920 8K down includes first payment, taxes, fees (said so large due to negative equity from Tahoe, which is only 6k, not 8k) $ 550/mos taxes included 24 mos/15k
    I think this is ridiculous, the sales guy said since Muranos are not hard to sell that the "bank" won't soak up none of the negative equity. We understand how upside down we are in the Tahoe and may have to put some money down but we were hoping to find someone who would split the negative equity with us, Dealer lose 3k we put down 3k, is that unfair? Should we walk away from the Murano or just find another dealer?
    No problem, kyfdx.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mnslfc. It definitely would be in your best interest to wait until you are less upside down in your Tahoe to get a new vehicle. If you absolutely have to lease a new vehicle, do not make an $8,000 down payment. You should be able to lease a new Murano with much a smaller down payment than that, even with your negative equity. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to negotiate a $2,500 discount on a Murano right now. That would absorb $2,500 of your negative equity. On a lease with no capitalized cost reduction you would only have to put $3,500 down. I still think that you are better off waiting though.

Car_man
    Host
  • mnslfcmnslfc Member Posts: 3
    I don't want the truck it was broken into twice last month bad karma on it plus we are expecting baby in October but here is what we offered 3k down 550 month 36 month 15k what do you think also can you check out our other offer on a audi q7 they tended to bend a lot more but of course the payment on that is a lot higher.

Thanks
  • mazzman1mazzman1 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know the best way to extend a lease? I have a 2005 Nissan Murano w/ a lease ending in October and wanted to extend it another 6 months. Any and all suggestions and experiences shared are greatly appreciated.
    Best :D
  • amg61amg61 Member Posts: 18
    Just wondering if the lease money factor and residuals were out for September for a 2009 Murano SL with 15k miles per year for 36 months? Also, any rebates or incentives? Thanks.
    Hi mazzman1. The only way to extend your current lease is to place a call directly to Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp, or whichever bank you are leasing it through, and see if they are willing to work with you. Most banks will allow consumers to extend their leases at their current payment for a couple of months.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi amg61. Here's the information that you're looking for. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Nissan Murano SL AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00239 and 58%, respectively.

Nissan is not currently providing any consumer incentives on the '09 Murano, but it is running a "stairstep" program on it which provides dealers with $500 to $1,500 in cash, depending upon the number of units they sell during the month. Taking this cash into account, I would not be surprised if you were able to negotiate a capitalized cost that is right at, or possibly even a little below dealer invoice for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • cl58cl58 Member Posts: 2
    I actually just got a deal on a 09 Murano SL this week. It has the premium package, dual moonroof, and leather package. Would have liked the tech package but I had a hard time even getting them down to the price I wanted without it. They started with an offer of $485.00 a month. Then $445.00. They claimed I was 2k in the hole with my trade. This is for a 39 month lease with 15k miles

MSRP is $34815.00
    Negotiated price $32705.13
    plus $595 acuisition fee =$33300.13
    I put 3250 down. (I know you shouldnt) $2370.61 went towards the cap cost reduction
    so $30929.52 adjusted cap cost
    They show a residual value of $19844.55 (57%) and depreciation of $11084.97
    The part that confuses me is this "Rent Charge" for $4732.65? Ive never seen a rent charge factored in before. I assumed 2k of it is from my trade but what is the rest from?
    Not sure what they used for a money factor but my credit score is in the tier 1 catagory as they call it.
    Anyway the bottom line came to $405.58 plus 5% tax, monthly payment is $425.86

Does this sound like a good deal?? When I use the Nissan lease calculator the monthly payment comes out lower?
  • mazzman1mazzman1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Car Man! Will do.
  • jleonhirthjleonhirth Member Posts: 1
    I've never leased before but wife wants a Murano. :)
    Here is the standard Nissan advertised offer:
    2009 MURANO S AWD w/ Convenience Pkg. Lease
    39 Months - $299/Month - $3,449 initial payment. (+taxs,etc)
    $29,800 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $25,489
    Monthly payments $11,661.00. At lease end, purchase for $17,880.00,
    12000 miles per year

I'd rather not negotiate or be overwhelmed at the dealer but rather walk in, present my best offer and see if they take it. The $299 seems like a deal. Can I get more, like reduce the downpayment/cap cost?

If I was just buying a car outright, I would walk in, show my offer and either than can or can't do it. How can I do the same with a lease? Tell me what numbers to present. Thanks.

John in Virginia
  • cl58cl58 Member Posts: 2
    I looked into this a little more and even though I was initially told they were using just under 2% interest rate.. they really used 3.6% so .0015 money factor I believe.
    I have read on here rates that were higher, so I guess I still got a good rate.

So Car man, with all this information given...does this sound like a good lease deal??
  • joeyd5ohjoeyd5oh Member Posts: 36
    JLEONHIRTH don't let them sucker you into that lease. I just leased an 09 murano same trim today. Total out of my pocket was 2,300 INCLUDING Down payment, taxes, bank fee, DMV fee's, ETC.. monthly payment is $290.00. Granted I had a 1000.00 rebate from nissan but I still made out on the deal quite nicely. Not sure if the deal they offered you includes the bank fee in that $3,449 they want upfront but my bank fee was total 646.32. They will cry and moan when you offer them this amount but stick to it sooner or later they will fold. By the way I am in New York Im not sure if the fees and taxes are the same since you are from Virginia. Good luck
  • doctorevildoctorevil Member Posts: 8
    joeyd: wasn't aware of any rebate, how did you get that? Also, what part of NY?

here's offer I have on SL, premium, leather, sunroof:

Year:2009
    Make/Model:Nissan Murano AWD SL Merlot with Prem Pkg, Leather, Moonroof
    MSRP:$34,780.00
    Sale Price: $32,063.00
    Lease Terms: 39 months, 15,000 miles per year and $800.00 due at signing
    Monthly Pymt: $497.70 inc. tax

Have another one, different dealer

Same vehicle, no sunroof, MSRP $33,600

$350.00 down, $475/month for 39 months (15k miles/yr) payment includes tax

First payment and $350 due at signing.

Carman, can you confirm the money factor and residual for this vehicle--I have it at .00239 and 58% respectively.

Thanks
  • joeyd5ohjoeyd5oh Member Posts: 36
    sorry I should have clarified the 1000.00 rebate its for people who have bought or leased from nissan in the past only. I am from Long Island NY. The two other muranos you have listed sound like OK deals but i still think you can knock another 15 dollars a month off the lease price. Not sure havent crunched the numbers yet for you.
  • doctorevildoctorevil Member Posts: 8
    joey, thanks for the response. My wife is in a murano lease and i currently am in a maxima lease. just wondering where I can find info on the rebate. no mention of it has been made to me.
  • aillonaillon Member Posts: 10
    MSRP 35,545.00 \ AWD SL, Tech Package, Black Leather, Premium package, No sunroof, Merlot (love the color)

Sold for 31959
    Gross Cap Cost 32602
    Residual 20616
    Depreciation 7883
    Rent Charge 4578 =
    Total of base monthly Payments 12461

338 a month (including tax)
    After - 3000 trade (only worth 1500) and 2K in cash.

This car is pretty much my dream car, I feel pretty happy about 338. This dealer is located in Old Saybrook CT as a FYI
  • lee0001lee0001 Member Posts: 37
    Can you tell me what the term of the lease was? How many miles per year, number of months? thanks!
  • aillonaillon Member Posts: 10
    sorry this is for 39 months, 12k a year
    You're very welcome, mazzman1.

Car_man
    Host
  • saltshakersaltshaker Member Posts: 5
    I'm having an awful time trying to lease this car. The dealer is just plain lying and the math doesn't seem to work out. Here are the facts.

MSRP 41,375
    INV 37,979 (Also, Base Cap Cost)
    Trade 5,700

When I plug these numbers into my lease calculator I get a payment approx $400.
    Yet the dealerships are insisting on at least $466 a month.

I'm using a 58% residual and a .00260 money factor. Please help me put an end to the negotiation and make a smart deal.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • hiloyohiloyo Member Posts: 3
    I am researching a lease myself which we all know dealers hate.
    I was just quoted a money factor .00212 great and then the bombshell
    a residual of %52...This is for a 09' Murano SL with leather and premium pkg.
    Are they for real ? If you contact NMAC will they tell you their current money factor and residuals or is this set largely by the dealer?I am a current NMAC customer.

Thanks for any help.
    Hi saltshaker. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need. For now I will work up a sample 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year for you. Let me know if you want something different. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Murano LE AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00239 and 54%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $41,375, and a selling price of $37,979, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $579...which is not very attractive. There are a lot of vehicles out there that are just as nice as the Murano that would cost less than this to lease.

I see that you are considering using the proceeds from your trade-in as a down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers not to make large down payments when leasing. Those who make them risk losing them if their vehicle is totaled. If would be safer for you to have the dealer cut you a check for any equity that you have in your trade. If you really want to use it as a capitalized cost reduction, it would lower this truck's monthly payment to around $407.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi hiloyo. Most banks will not provide information on their lease programs directly to the general public. If you call NMAC they will probably tell you to contact your local dealer for that information. I can give you an idea of what NMAC's current lease program for this vehicle is like though. Its lease program for the 2009 Murano varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 39 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. NMAC's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of an '09 Murano SL 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00239 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank for the quick reply Car_man. The lease I'm seeking is a 39 month, 12000 miles/yr. So basically, these are the facts:

Nissan Murano LE AWD with 12,000 miles per year/39 mo lease
    MSRP of $41,375
    Selling price of $37,979

I dont have to use the trade-in, just seems like the easiest way to get rid of the car. I will ask my local dealer if he's willing to cut me a check.

I've read the Confessions of a Car Dealer article on Edmunds (awesome btw!) and learned a lot about their tricks. Do you think if I told him I'd only pay X dollars a month (approx $405 in this particular sitiuation), but I'd "tip" him $200 cash for his time, he'd bite? I've read this is a great agreement if you can pull it off but they sometimes resist. If not, what do you think is the best way to negotiate this lease? Email? Fax?

Thanks again, this is a very informative forum.

BTW, just curious, what others similar SUVs do you think are just as nice for the price? We test drove the Lexus 350, and although it was nice I preferred the Murano's features (heated back seats, better NAV as it can operate while being driven, one button reclining back seats, slightly roomier).
    Hi Hiloyo, Best of luck with your lease deal. It seems like Nissan loves to play games and try gimmicks at their dealerships. Seems to me that car dealers are basically crooks, taking advantage of the uninformed. I'm not a fan of Saturns, but their simple pricing formula takes out a lot of the headaches and makes buying a car as simple as ordering a pizza. Great car though, just not sure the lease is the way to go. Might be worth buying instead with these crappy residuals being offered.
  • hiloyohiloyo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies.I am looking at 39 months and 15000 miles.So thanks for those numbers.
    Can you actually negotiate the residual and money factor with your dealer
    after you have negotiated the selling price of the vehicle?
    thanks again-
  • dannyhashovavdannyhashovav Member Posts: 24
    Hi all,
    I'm new here to write and post, but let me tell you that Edmunds forums is one of the first resources I go to when it comes to researching and buying a car. Love it!

Now, i lease 2005 Murano SL and pretty happy about this car. My lease of 39 month is about to expire in beginning of January 2009. I have a family of four with a recent addition of a baby girl and we are looking for a minivan (probably Sienna) as a replacement. BUT we can get by with Murano for another year and really dont mind re-leasing it again. My questions to you guys are:
    1. Is it a practice to negotiate a new short term lease with a current near end lease term with NMAC? ( considering the economy I think they should love me :-) )
    2. What is my car going to cost me and how would i figure out adjusted Murano price tag as well as new lease payments?

my current stats:
    Type: 2005 Murano, SL (I have everything except for Navigation)
    Miles so far: 20K
    Lease permits miles: 12k/year
    Monthly pmt: $410
    Down payments at origination: $0
    Lease term: 39mo
    Condition: Not a scratch (knock on wood)

Thanks for your help
  • dannyhashovavdannyhashovav Member Posts: 24
    Anyone can help please? Is this not the right topic to post under the incorrect forum?
    thanks all.
    You're welcome, saltshaker. Unfortunately I doubt that any salesperson that you deal with will be able to take you up on your tip offer. First of all, they would probably be fired if they were caught doing something like that. Second, the sales manager, not the sales person has the final say on whether your deal gets approved. So even if you were able to grease your salesperson's palm they wouldn't be able to get you a better than normal deal.

Here's what a 39 month lease would look like. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2009 Murano LE AWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00239 and 53%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $41,375, and a selling price of $37,979, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $555...which is not very attractive. There are a lot of vehicles out there that are just as nice as the Murano that would cost less than this to lease.

A few similar vehicles that would probably around the same or less to lease include the Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander, Volkswagen Tiguan, Volkswagen Touareg, BMW X3, and Lexus RX 350 to name a few.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.