Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Congratulations on getting your new Tribeca, cartalk8. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Make sure to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • jakelatjakelat Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if Subaru offers shorter term leases than 36mos? I do 15k per year and do not want to be off warranty the last 6mos of my lease. Thanks.
    Yes, jakelat, Subaru offers 24 month leases. The monthly payment will be a little higher on a 2 year lease than it will be on a 3 year lease though because with the shorter term you will have twelve fewer payments to spread out your vehicle's large initial depreciation hit out over.

Car_man
    Host
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    What are the up to date numbers on the 09 Subaru Tribeca? Are there any incentives? Why is no one leasing them? It seems that way anyhow, on account of the last post was 7 months ago. I'm trying to decide between Subaru models and noticed no one seems to have any info on the Tribeca. Looking at 36 month lease at 10K per year. Thanks.
    I would like the current nubmers on a 2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition. I'm interested in either 24 or 36 month lease, 10,000 miles per year. Thanks.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Stoopy-

I'm also trying to decide between Subaru models. I got an intitial email quote on an 09 Tribeca Special Edition 7 passenger. It was $497 a month on a zero down 36 month lease. I suspect that is why no one is leasing them right now. Car Man will have to help with the actual numbers. I didn't investigate any further.
  • birdstrike1birdstrike1 Member Posts: 15
    Also looking for numbers on the Tribeca Special Edition 5 Passenger. Interested in a 36 or 48 month lease with 15K miles per year.
    Hi stoopy. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Tribeca 5 Passenger with 10,000 miles per year are .00280 and 49%, respectively. The lease program for this model is different for other trim levels. Let me know if this is not the exact one that you want.

Subaru is currently providing a $1000 dealer cash incentive on this model which is compatible with the above lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Ouch! Were the 24 month lease numbers any better? What are they, even if they are bad? Are the numbers on the Special Edition 5 passenger different from the numbers you quoted on a base?
    Hi birdstrike1. Here's the info that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Tribeca SE 5 Passenger with 15,000 miles per year are .00280 and 49%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are

This vehicle's 48 month lease program is terrible, but Subaru seems to be pushing 42 month leases of it right now. The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are .00120 and 45%.

When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 dealer cash that is currently available on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey stoopy. Yeah, the Tribeca's lease program is nothing to write home about right now. The 24 month numbers aren't any better. Subaru seems to be trying to steer consumers towards 42 month leases of this model right now. Its buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42 month lease of a base 2008 Tribeca with 10,000 miles per year are .00120 and 46%.

The money factors for an otherwise identical lease of a 5 Passenger Special Edition are the same, but its residual values are 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • petergriffinpetergriffin Member Posts: 5
    Car_man,

What are the current money factors and residuals for a 2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition 5 passenger for 36 and 39 months, 10,000 miles per year? I live in Omaha, NE 68101. Thanks.
    Hi petergriffin. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Tribeca Special Edition 5 Passenger with 10,000 miles per year are .00150 and 49%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00150 and 47%.

When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • wwsorrellswwsorrells Member Posts: 1
    Car_man

I'm new to the lease game and I don't understand what the money factor and residual factor have to do with calculating a lease payment. Can you assist in mapping those figures for what I might propose to a dealership in Houston, TX?
    http://www.leaseguide.com/lease08.htm

Lease payment = Depreciation Fee + Finance Fee (aka Rent Charge) + Sales Tax

Depreciation Fee = ( Net Cap Cost – Residual ) ÷ Term
    (Cap cost is sale price, Net Cap Cost is sale price minus any down payments, rebates, PLUS any and all fees)

Finance Fee = ( Net Cap Cost + Residual ) × Money Factor

The most common method is to tax the monthly lease payment at the local sales tax rate. This means you only pay tax on the part of the car you lease, not the entire value of the car. For example, if your local sales tax rate is 5%, simply multiply your monthly lease payment by 5% and add it to the payment amount to get your total payment figure. Depreciation Fee + Finance Fee = Xy. Xy + Tax Rate = YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENT.
  • davidmlamdavidmlam Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to lease a 2009 Subaru Tribeca Special Edition / 9TL. The dealer is offering me the car (MSRP of 33165) at invoice of 29407. How far under invoice can they / are they sell(ing) this car? Money factor of .0016 and residudal of .5 on 36 mo, 15k / year lease.
    Welcome wwsorrells. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the vehicle that you want and then have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

Check out the linked articles and let us know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi davidmlam. You definitely should be able to do better than dealer invoice on this truck right now. Subaru is currently providing a large cash incentive of $2,500 on it. This cash should enable you to negotiate a selling price that's well below invoice, perhaps around $2,000 under give or take a few hundred.

Car_man
    Host
    Just got a quote back by email for 9TL 7 Passenger SE MSRP $32,696, selling price is $27,403.00. She said it was $700 under invoice.
    I will be closing this deal today, 36 month/10K per year, $360 a month including 7% sales tax with only first monthly payment due at signing. MSRP is $32,753.

I had two dealers competing against one another. Original offer was $377 from one dealer. Second dealer offered $363, first dealer countered to $360.00. Second dealer offered to match that $360 again and trailer the Tribeca to me for free but I didn't want their Quartz Silver, just wanted to use them as leverage against my local dealer so I could get a cheaper monthly payment.

I don't see how anyone could possibly get a lower monthly payment than this. The dealers were acting like I took their first born. At $377 dealer said they were only making $450 total profit. Yeah right.
  • dara2dara2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello chuck68516,
    Thank you for detail on such nice deal, I'm in NJ are and looking for a deal for 2009 Tribeca Limited 5pas 39M/10k with same MSRP, can you tell me what dealership your work with. I will be glad to get same deal as you are :)

Thank you
  • rhazrhaz Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to lease a 2009 Tribeca 5 Pass Limited w/o NAV 12,000 miles per year.
    Does anyone have the June 2009. Money Factor and Residual.
    Thanks
    Car Man
    Do you have the June lease numbers for a Tribeca Limited 5pass with NAV 12,000 miles per year
    Thanks.
    Hi rhaz. Subaru's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Tribeca 5 Passenger Limited without navigation with 12,000 miles per year are .00080 and 45%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • cningcning Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a 2009 Tribeca Limited 7-seat (no nav.;no dvd) today.
    (MSRP- $35,669, the dealer took slightly over $5000 off of MSRP)
    Based on 36-month, 15000 miles/yr and $2500 down, monthly payment including tax is over $530 (the residulal value is 48%).
    Car_man, can you give me some idea if this is too high in Northern VA area and what monthly payment might be reasonable.
    P.S. What's tax rate in VA?
    Thanks
    Have a good weekend
    M
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I believe the tax rate is 5%, but I live in MD so I'm not sure.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    VA tax rate is 3.17%, I think... On the entire selling price...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Weird. Their sales tax went up to 5% when MD bumped theirs to 6%.

At least it's tax deductible for 2009.
    Hi cning. I'd be happy to work up a sample lease payment on this vehicle for you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Tribeca Limited 7-Seat without nav or DVD that has an MSRP of $35,669 and a selling price of $30,669 (the $5,000 discount that you mentioned) right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $463.

Wow, that's a lot less than the $530 per month that you were quoted, even if the quote that you received includes sales tax, Something's off on the payment that the dealer gave you. I used a money factor of .00120 and a residual value of 45% to calculate the payment that I came up with.

Car_man
    Host
  • Piaya20Piaya20 Member Posts: 10
    Hi. I'm looking at leasing a 2009 Tribeca Limited (with DVD and NAV and 3rd row). MSRP is $39112 but negotiated the price for $6K less (this includes the $2500 rebate). Lease is 36 mos / 15k per year. Quote was $640 - state of PA (which has 9% tax). Please advise. Thanks.
    Car Man
    Do you have the July lease numbers for a Tribeca Limited 5pass with out NAV 12,000 miles per year.
    Thanks.
    I sure do, rhaz. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a Tribeca Limited 5 Passenger without navigation with 12,000 miles per year are .00080 and 44%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
  • slojaveslojave Member Posts: 1
    Dear Car Man:

I am looking at the Tribeca Limited 2009 for a lease in PA (15K) with 6% PA Taxes. We are putting 5K down. Thanks for any help!
  • hooopshooops Member Posts: 64
    Hi Car_man,

Can you please provide the lease numbers (mf & resid) for a 7 passenger Special Edition and 7 passenger Limited w/Nav for a 24 month / 15k mi / yr lease. Can you please also list any lease support that's provided.

Thanks
    Hey slojave. I see that you are considering making a $5,000 down payment on the Tribeca that you are interested in leasing. I always advise community members to put as little money down as possible.when leasing. Lessees who make large down payments risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is stolen and never recovered or totaled in an accident. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be higher, you will be much safer going with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey hooops. Here you go. Chase's (Subie runs all of its special leases through them now) current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Tribeca 7 Passenger Special Edition with 15,000 miles per year are .00120 and 46%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Tribeca 7 Passenger Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00140 and 43%, respectively.

I gave you the info for three year leases because Subaru is not currently supporting two year leases. Its money factors for two year terms are much higher, and in turn less attractive, than its two year factors.

When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • hooopshooops Member Posts: 64
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for responding. I was looking for the 24 month numbers (15 k mi/yr). Can you please post those.

Thanks
    Hey hooops. You definitely do not want to lease an '09 Tribeca for 24 months. Instead of the .00120 money factor that I mentioned, its two year factor is an extremely unattractive .00310. Add to this the fact that you will have to pay more in depreciation every month on a two year lease and I suspect that the payment on oue would be absolutely horrible.

Car_man
    Host
  • drivenagaindrivenagain Member Posts: 4
    My wife is looking to lease a Tribeca Limited with Navigation in December. It has an MSRP of $35690.00 but I assume I can get it for much less. My wife has a 799 credit score, based on todays offers what money factor and residual can I expect to see on this SUV for a 36-39month 10k mi/yr lease? I appreciate all of your time!

Jason
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    My guess is that subaru leases on the tribeca will be brutal---no support. You should be able to get at least 3-5k off msrp. Check truecar.com.
    ALG rates the Tribeca 3 stars for residuals, should be no worse than average.

Outback gets 4 stars, but the Impreza and Forester get 5. Look at the Forester for the very best lease terms in the Subaru lineup.
  • mikejc22mikejc22 Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow posters, I wanted to see what you all thought about the deal I am currently mulling over.

2009 Tribeca Ltd. w/ NAV & RES 7,600 miles. Sticker from dealer was around 32,000 I am considering oferring 30,000. Do you think that is too high or too low. Should I ask for 29k?

KBB says the suggested retail value is $35,305 in excellent condition.
    Hi drivenagain. Subaru is providing support on leases of the '09 Tribeca, but as the other posters alluded its current program is not very attractive.

Subaru's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 7 Passenger 2009 Tribeca with 10,000 miles per year are .00120 and 44%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00120 and 42%.

This lease program is only scheduled to run though November 2nd. It is difficult to say what its December program for this truck will be like at this point.

Car_man
    Host
    Unfortunately, the resids for the '09 Tribeca are pretty bad. Subaru's residual values for the Forester are by far the strongest, followed by the Legacy, Outback, and Impreza. The Tribeca is the worst of the Subaru models.

Car_man
    Host
    The low residuals might mean a lease to buy scenario. Used low mileage tribeca's seem to command decent prices.
    Useful info, thanks.

The Tribeca's residuals were great at first but I guess Subaru backed off a bit from supporting those.
    Gas prices scared them and the outback is the new darling. Subaru is selling.
    No problem, ateixeira. Yeah, not only was the Tribeca not as well received by the market as Subaru had hoped, but almost all manufacturers across the board have been forced to lower their residual values from the level that they were at several years ago.

Car_man
    Host
    Car-Man,

I see the 2010 Tribecas are finally out. Could you please provide the 36 month, 10,000 mile lease numbers for the Premium and Limited Trim levels?

Thanks.
    They certainly are. I'd be happy to help you out, stoopy.

Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Tribeca Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00165 and 48%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '10 Tribeca Limited are .00220 and 48%.

Car_man
    Host