Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• andreymandreym Member Posts: 2
    This sounds like a great deal, congratulations!
    Did you contact Thousand Oaks or Sherman Oaks dealerships? I've been looking at their inventories, both have a fairly decent number of Foresters sitting on the lots..

thx
  • windowsillwindowsill Member Posts: 5
    Car Man - thank you very much!

I have a question for you - we got our lease a few days before you responded. Our lease is 36 month, 12,000 miles for a Forester XT. the dealer gave us the 62% residual, however, our money factor is .002XX (i don't have my numbers in front of me, but it was something like .00246 or something like that)

We SPECIFICALLY asked about the money factor and the salesman and the finance guy said that they don't control the money factor. That it could only go up, it could not go down.

Was this a lie? Do I have any recourse? And if I went back to the dealership and called them on this, what kind of support could I use? (not sure, "the car man from the internet said so" , would work ;)

thanks for all your help! we do love our car! but it really makes me upset if they sat there and lied to my face!
  • weswazweswaz Member Posts: 23
    Those were out of my shopping radius. Check Irvine's inventory... it's huge. Might be worth the drive. I'd assume you should expect similar pricing to what they quoted me which was very close to what I paid in San Berdoo. I used the contact button right from their webpage.
  • research1stresearch1st Member Posts: 23
    Seems like a good deal. Does anyone know the specifics of the college grad discount? Can it be applied to the lease?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Congratulations on getting your new Forester, weswaz. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with anyone. If you'd like, you can stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    You're very welcome, windowsill. The finance guy who told you that dealers don't control money factors wasn't completely telling the truth. It is true that dealers cannot lower banks' published buy rate lease money factors, dealers are often allowed to mark them up to add additional, hidden profit to deals. I am not sure if Subaru Finance allows dealers to mark its money factors up, but I would not be surprised if it did. Unfortunately, once you have signed your lease and physically taken delivery of your vehicle there really isn't anything that you can do to change your deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • sub4543sub4543 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what the upcoming lease rates are going to be for October on the 2009 forester x premium & x limited? Thanks in advance.
    Hi sub4543. Subaru's current lease program is scheduled to run through September 30th. It is difficult to say what its October program will be like for the Forester. It would be difficult normally, but further complicating matters are the fact that it is the beginning of a new quarter and the fact that so many manufacturers have made dramatic changes to their lease programs lately. Sorry that I could not be of more help. Feel free to check back with me later this week and I will fill you in on the details of the new program.

Car_man
    Host
  • sub4543sub4543 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I appreciate it. Hopefully they'll stay the same or better.
  • arvanarvan Member Posts: 6
    Do you have the current lease rates and residuals for the Forester 2.5x premium and x ltd for October?
  • btmatxbtmatx Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the current (October) lease rates and residuals for on a 36-month lease. Vehicles I am interested in are Forester X Auto (9FB) and Legacy 2.5i (both base models). Please give numbers for both 12,000 and 15,000 miles/year, if possible.

Thanks in advance!
  • niasnias Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys,
    Would anyone mind teaching me or pointing me to where I can teach myself about residual value & money factor. I'm smart enough to know the Northern NJ Subaru dealer was trying to rip me off, but I'd rather be armed with this type of information next time. Thanks so much. JRon
    PS. For giggles here were the original deals(jokes) offered:
    2009 Forester w/premium package/manual - Msrp 22,495/Invoice 21,171
    24 month/10k/0down = $539 per month
    36 month/10K/0down = $449 per month
  • gooch5gooch5 Member Posts: 14
    I visited a dealer in Queens, NY and I was given a lease offer for 36 months 15k miles
    on a 25.x limited

Total out of pocket $1150
    $379 per month

How does this offer sound?
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    You really need to post all the numbers to get an accurate assessment.

MSRP
    RESIDUAL
    SALE PRICE (CAP COST)
    FEES (NET CAP COST)
    Whether or not that $379 included sales tax.
    Where did the out of pocket $1150 go? Was it to pay fees, dmv, 1st payment, etc? Or did you actually put money against the sale price?
    Thanks for the response.
    I will get all the numbers tonight. The taxes were rolled into the monthly payments.
    The out of pocket was 1st payment, bank fee, sec deposit. I don't recall if the MV fees were put in here.
    Same as last poster, you need all the numbers to calculate a lease.

MSRP multiplied by the residual % = Residual Value.
    Cap cost is the sale price of the vehicle including all rebates etc.
    Net Cap Cost is the sale price and all discounts PLUS any and all fees.
    Money factor is basically the interest rate charged for the lease.

NET CAP COST minus RESIDUAL divided by term in months = YOUR BASE PAYMENT

NET CAP COST plus RESIDUAL multiplied by MONEY FACTOR = RENT CHARGE

Add YOUR BASE PAYMENT plus RENT CHARGE = YOUR LEASE PAYMENT
    Add your sales tax to monthly payment for total payment
    See if there is a penalty for waiving security deposit. Honda charges you a slightly higher money factor if you waive. Ford/GM do not. If you are going to take reasonable care of the vehicle, I would waive it.
    I still have to get the cap, net cap, and money factor costs.

I am more interested in the XT model. The price give to me for that model was based on an MSRP of 28,115

With leather the monthly costs for the 09 xt was $394 per month with 1285 out of pocket which includes Bank fee, 1st payment, and plates. No sec deposit.

Nias thanks for the formula. I am a newbie to leasing. I have always owned cars.
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    $394 seems high to me. If it was 62% residual and MF was 0.00175 and you got a cap cost of $25,000 your payment would be sub $300 including sales tax.
    No problem, sub4543. I'm always glad to help.

Car_man
    Host
    I sure do, arvan. you never mentioned how long you want to lease this vehicle for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester 2.5 X Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00160 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Forester X Limited are .00175 and 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, btmatx. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 1009 Forester X with 15,000 miles per year are .00160 and 57%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Legacy 2.5i Sedan are .00230 and 58%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, these cars' residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey nias. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. They will answer any questions that you have about how leasing works.

Check them out and let us know if you have any specific questions that they spark or don't understand something.

Car_man
    Host
    CAR MAN,

Are the lease numbers on the 2009 Forester 2.5X Limited, 10,000 miles per year different than the 2.5X Premium? I think the low mileage gives +1% residual but is the money factor different on the Limited vs Premium?
    The MF for the Limited would be 0.00175 vs the Premium's 0.00160.
  • r_berg_usr_berg_us Member Posts: 1
    We are considering a lease option vs. purchase. We are new to the option. We have been doing some research and the question is on a 20,000 mile per year for three years lease vs a purchase on a outback or forester. Both vehicles are around $24,000. Both vehicles are 2009. Location is the St.Paul/Minneapolis MN area.
    It appears as though the residual on a outback is 55% and the forester is 61%.
    We have a VIP option on a purchase through ASHA. We are meeting the dealer this saturday the 8th and would like to have more information in our tool belt so that we can make the best decision. With the technology changes we really think the lease is a good option, but we really do not know how it will be presented.
    Help!
    We have also looked at the Saturn Aura approx same price but not AWD.
  • thegrokerthegroker Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

What is Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester 2.5 X Premium + All Weather Pkg with 10,000 miles per year? How often do these numbers change? I have an appointment with a dealer tomorrow, but probably won't pull the trigger until Jan 2009.

Thanks.
  • dartmouth01dartmouth01 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man and all,

I've been shopping for a lease. I am looking for the 2009 base model with an auto tranny. Here is my lowest offer so far:

36 month/10k per year
    $3250 upfront ($2200 for CCR, rest is for everything else, including 1st payment)
    $185/month +5% tax for 35 months

This works out a little over $10k payout for 3 years. I will solidify the net cap cost and MF and residual at transaction, but I thought it would be easier if I was able to get the dealers I contacted to give me the "out of the door" price with similar up front costs so I can get an apples to apples comparison. Am I missing something in my math, or does this seem to be a good deal? State is Massachusetts.

Thanks
    You really need to post all the numbers in order for anyone to work out the lease payment. MSRP, residual, negotiated price (cap cost), net cap cost, money factor, etc.

I don't know if anyone has advised you not to put that $2,200 down towards cap cost reduction or not. General consensus, myself included, is that it is a dangerous gamble to put money down on a lease. If your newly leased car is stolen or totalled in an accident, you are out that $2,200. No insurance company will reimburse you for your downpayment. Really, you are better off putting that down payment money in a savings account and paying your slightly higher monthly payment with it. It is possible that a garbage truck flattens your Forester when you pull out of the dealership. :cry:
    Here you go, thegroker. According to the latest information that I have seen, Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month of a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00175 and 60%, respectively. I believe that this lease program is scheduled to run through December 1st. It is difficult to say what Subaru's January lease program will be like at this point.

Car_man
    Host
  • dartmouth01dartmouth01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks djhalptert for the tips. I've stepped back to do more research. What should the MF and residual be for 09 Forester base with auto tranny for 10k for 36 months? What about 24 months? Thanks
    Last I heard it was .00175 and 60%, not sure about 24 months. Your payment would be way higher on the 24 month lease anyway. Also, I had a quote from a dealer at $850 under invoice. I'm still holding out though. Trying to get at least $1,350 under.
  • MplsmanMplsman Member Posts: 11
    Appreciate all the very helpful information. Regarding the 2.5 X Premium, any idea what residual would be with 36 mos. and 12,000 miles (as opposed to the 10,000 mi. quoted above)? Does money rate stay the same (.00175) on 36 mo./12,000 mi.?

Also, how much, if at all, would manual transmission lower the residual?

Thank you!
  • bobshishkabobshishka Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote from my local dealer-

Premium w/ All weather
    $23,099 - $500 (Car show coupon) = $22,599

36 mo/ 12K lease for $299/mo with only about $500 down.

Thats hard to beat.
  • research1stresearch1st Member Posts: 23
    What state are you in? Do you have a link to that deal? My local dealer wanted 36 mo/12k lease for $319/mo with $1000 down for an automatic 2.5X Premium w/out leather or the all weather pkg! Scammers!
  • bobshishkabobshishka Member Posts: 2
    I'm in California. I also have a $500 off coupon I got at a local auto show.
    Does anyone have any updated information as to residual and money rate on 2009 2.5 X All-Weather?

Looking into a 36 mo./36,000 mi. lease.

Thanks!
  • StonaruStonaru Member Posts: 1
    2009 Forester 2.5X All-Weather Premium, 10K per year mileage, for 36 months.

No down payment (except first month and title, of course), $297 per month, $315 total payment with taxes. Thoughts?
    Bumping this....

I'm getting ready to make a deal and would appreciate anyone's updated info as to residual and money rate. Your help is greatly appreciated. Hope to be a Forester owner soon.
    Hi Mplsman. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester 2.5 X with 12,000 miles per year are .00175 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • fletchedmfletchedm Member Posts: 39
    Are the rates different for Trim level, i,e limited, turbo engine? Thanks.
  • f8u1ef8u1e Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have the lease terms on a Subaru 2.5X Premium with All-Weather, manual trans., Popular Equipment Group 1B, fog lamp kit and All Weather Floor Mats? I understand a two-year lease is possible and would prefer that term as I am totally new to the Subaru.
    Thanks.
  • milzomilzo Member Posts: 8
    Got my first quote yesterday for an 09 2.5x Limited. 15,000 miles. Dealer quoted:

Invoice/ sale price $25,544
    Money Factor = .00175
    Residual = 59% = $16220.20
    Tax rate = 7.75%
    Payment = $379 inc tax
    $713 1st payment & fees

When I run these #'s on my own I come to $357/mo. Not sure why the difference. Also should I expect to be able to get the price under invoice? I was thinking I should be able to get about $1000 under?
    Picking up our Spark Silver 2009 X Premium Auto w/ All-Weather on Tuesday! Options include: splash guards, rear bumper cover, wheel arch molding, aero cross bars, all weather mats.

3 year/36,000 lease. Residual 62%, money rate .00175. $284/mo. with sales tax, title, license, acquisition fee, and first month paid up front.

Thanks for all the great info here!
    That seems like a really good price, makes me wonder how necessary leather is. Thanks for the post.
  • eeoaktowneeoaktown Member Posts: 8
    Hi there,

We are at the end of a long road of research and leaning toward the 09 Forester over the Rav4. Haven't test drove the Mitsubishi Outlander and the CRV appears to be too underpowered. Anyway, that's a topic for another forum.

Seem to have gotten a good lease offer today, but they didn't have a color we liked and tried to get us to walk out with a red one we didn't want. Here are the deets:

XT Limited w/ Nav

- $28,995 estimated total cost
    - 39 months
    - 12,000 miles
    - residual value and MF - unknown - we didn't get that far
    - $1,000 prepayment (not sure of breakdown of that cost)
    - total payments with tax $379

negotiated them from $2650 inital payment down to 1,000, and from 10k miles to 12k.

Edmunds calculator pegs this at $447 - looks like we had a good offer?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • eeoaktowneeoaktown Member Posts: 8
    ...update to my previous post with more data.

XT Limited w/ Leather and no Nav. Includes autodim mirror, cargo cover.

Pricing at/near invoice - 27,700
    MF - .00175
    Residual around 61% - 17k

36 months
    Either -

No cash down, $716 incl. DMV and first month
    $372 + tax = 403

2,000 down (aprox.1200 cash + DMV and first month)
    $364 incl. tax

includes gap insurance

Both of these look like good deals to me for the XT Limited. The starting price is below Edmunds TMV, good residual.

Does the gap insurance cover the money down, if something happens to the car?

Make sense to get a Lojack (we are in a high theft area) if you have gap insurance and a lease?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • PanosPanos Member Posts: 14
    I leased my 09' 2.5X Premium back in August with the following options:

Automatic
    All-Weather package
    Fog lights
    Remote Starter
    Luggage Compartment Cover.

12k / 36 months for $2,000 down @ $275.00/month

First dealer i went to i was quoted a ball park estimate of $330+ for just a 2.5X Premium, Auto with no options for 10k/36 with $1200 down...
    I got this far with the lease and decided I am going to buy. I am not taking this deal but wanted to share for the others who are in the market

2.5X Limited White
    36mo 15k/ yr
    Q9W Trailer Hitch
    D9B Subwoofer Kit
    K9D Auto Dim Mirror w/Compass and Homelink - Bulk
    O9A Luggage Compartment Cover
    P9J Rear Bumper Cover, Bulk
    M9B Cargo Net Side
    B8A Floor Mats, All Weather
    MSV Wheel Locks
    K9E iPod/Phone Console Tray

$382/mo with tax (7.75%) $0 down $670 due at signing.
    Hi f8u1e. Subaru does offer two year leases, but it is not currently providing support on them. As a result, you will be much better off going with a three year lease. If you were to lease a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00175 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.