Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• dcdamedcdame Member Posts: 24
    Okay, I decided to read this entire thread (which I should have done first) and see that trading a car in a lease transaction is not an issue. I've also gathered that I'd be better off, risk-wise, getting paid any equity and not using it for a down payment.

So, should I shop my trade via various Subaru used car departments and, meanwhile, separately ask for quotes on a lease (i.e., not on the same visit - I could ask for lease quotes via fax and meanwhile visit various Subaru dealerships - there are at leaset a dozen within an hour's drive max). I suspect I'll probably get the best lease offer from the guy who sold me the Baja (his dealership has the lowest price on an LLB), but his dealership already has 3 used Bajas on the lot, so I probably won't get as good a trade offer as I would from one that has zero).
  • aceonthebeach3aceonthebeach3 Member Posts: 17
    Hey carman could you help? I am looking to lease a forester, I want a turbo and leather. The leather I can have put in aftermarket. the one I was looking at was a sports 2.5XT with a auto tranny and a turbo boost gauge and that is it. I build my own and the msrp was $28,870. what are some lease numbers, 36 or 48 months 12, 15k a year. thanks for your help...... I am in Myrtle Beach SC
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    You would absolutely NOT want to spend the money to put in aftermarket leather in a car that you LEASED, technically you would be violating the lease terms if you ripped out and replaced the upholstery.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi aceonthebeach3. You probably shouldn't install aftermarket leather seats in a leased vehicle. For one, you will never get the money that you paid for them back. Your leased vehicle's residual value is based upon a percentage its base MSRP plus the MSRPs of any factory-installed options. Furthermore, you may not even be allowed to make such a major change to a vehicle that technically is not yours, it's the bank's. If you really want leather, go with a Forester that comes with it.

The lease payment for the Forester that you are interested in will vary depending upon what its selling price is. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. A base '08 Forester 2.5 XT has a spread of around $1,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Plus the Sports 2.5XT has $750 lease cash available on it. That gives you a total of $2,450 to play with during your negotiations. For the purpose of calculating a lease payment for you, I will assume that you are able to negotiate a $1,500 discount. According to my calculations, the zero down, pre-tax monthly payment for a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of an '08 Foreter 2.5 XT that has an MSRP of $28,870 and a selling price of $27,370 through Subaru's captive finance company right now the payment would be around $420. With only 12,000 miles per year, this payment would drop to around $413. The 48 month payments for an otherwise identical lease would be $399 with 15,000 miles per year and $388 with 12,000.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • rebatechamprebatechamp Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know the money factor and residuals for the 2009 Forester 2.5 X Premium with automatic transmission and PZEV for 24 and 36 (or 39) months?
    I was surprised to already see the special lease for the 2009 Forester on the Subaru site. I didn't think that Subaru would be offering leases for the 2009 model year vehicles until the fall.
  • kbzonkbzon Member Posts: 30
    Hi Carman, i'm looking to lease a 2009 forester xt limited w/navi MSRP is 31497. selling price is $29500.00 what are the residual for 36 month lease 15k year.

NG
  • jackson41jackson41 Member Posts: 1
    shopped for a 09 premium yesterday.
    24 month 10k miles residual's great at, if i recall properly, .76; but MF's not so good at .0023 (5.5% equivalent). 36 months was .62 (give or take a point) and .0019, (4.5%)
  • kofasetickofasetic Member Posts: 1
    I reside in NYC and received 2 quotes for a 2009 Forester 2.5X Premium (9FD). I wanted a 36 month/10k/$0 money down (sign and drive) based on a MSRP of about $25K and these were the results:

Dealer #1 (Englewood, NJ): $345 mo/12k yr/ with tax
    Dealer #2 (Long Island City, NY) : $350.23 mo/10k yr

I presented the dealers the lease worksheet, which includes ALL, from The LeaseGuide and asked them for the numbers so I can calculate lease payments and they just did it themselves. I requested again so I can double check the numbers and then they presented me with the above monthly rates. These are based on MSRP not any Adjusted Cap Cost (i don't have a trade-in).

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
  • rebatechamprebatechamp Member Posts: 8
    Carman, can you post the residuals and money factors for a 36 and 39 month lease for the 2009 Forester 2.5X Premium auto trans (9FD) for 10k and 12k miles?
    Much appreciated. Thanks.
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    Car_man:

Could you please give me the residual and money factor for a 36 month/36,000 lease for a 2009 Forester 2.5X Limited (LL Bean) in New Jersey (7% tax). The MSRP for the vehicle I am looking at is $27,657.

Thanks,

Phil
  • ustnote50ustnote50 Member Posts: 1
    Carman:

Can you post the residuals and money factors for a 36 and 39 month lease for the 2009 Forester 2.5X Limited ( LL Bean ) for both 12k and 15k annual miles ?

I will have a trade with a net of $3,000 after payoff to work into the deal, and would appreciate it greatly if you could estimate the monthly lease pmt in FL w/6% tax rate.

The LL Bean package has ended and only the remaining inventory will be available.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

TRAVIS :confuse:
    Hi kbzon. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester XT Limited with navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, rebatechamp. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium auto trans (9FD) with 12,000 miles per year are .00175 and 61%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00175 and 59%. If you were to lease with only 10,000 miles per year, this vehicle's residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, Phil. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester 2.5X LL Bean without navigation with 12,000 miles per year are .00175 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey Travis. Here' you go. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester 2.5X LL Bean without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00175 and 56%. If you were to lease this vehicle with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 1% higher. I am sure that either myself or some other helpful community member would be happy to estimate what this vehicle's lease payment is for you if you provide us with its full MSRP and selling price. You also can use the formula that is outlined in the following article to do the calculations yourself: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • mojo6666mojo6666 Member Posts: 6
    A local dealer has a left over 08 Forester XT that lists at $29171 and is offering me a "deal". Is a 24 month lease, 15000mi/yr, for $420 a month with only the first months lease payment down a good deal? What is the residual and buy factor for a 2009 Premium that lists for around $25000?
    Greetings mojo6666. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Subaru Forester XT Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00150 and 57%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Forester X Premium are .00230 and 71%.

Car_man
    Host
    The local dealership told me that the buy rate for a 09 Forester, 24mo 15000/yr lease was .0027 not the .0023,The 71% residual was the same. Is this correct? I live near Buffalo NY , do these rates change in different areas of the country? What would the buy rate and residual be on a 09 XT Forester , same term? Do you have a chart or that you could post with different terms , mileage etc.?
  • gtmadagtmada Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car man,

Would you please tell me the current money factor and residual value for a 09 Forester X Premium with auto transmission (36 months, 12,000 miles)?

Also, if possible, the same info for a 09 Outback i Limited (haven't quite decied between the two yet).

Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, you almost have to choose the 2009!
  • cackercacker Member Posts: 9
    hi all

Travis asked this back in May, and I was curious if there is more current info since then on leasing an 09 Forest 2.5 X Limited, yrs at 15k per year
    invoice price
    money factor
    residual
    etc
    Was looking to make a decision this week
    Thanks in advance!
    - chuck
    When I leased my 09 Limited 3 weeks ago, the money factor was .0016 and the residual was 57% for 12k miles per year. For 15k, I would guess that the residual would be 1% lower. The dealer charged me about $300 over invoice for a car that was very hard to get. I waited about 11 weeks and mine was the one of the first Limiteds he was able to deliver.

From what has been written in the papers, leasing is going to be much more expensive in the future due to declining residuals. The good thing is that Chase (who is Subaru's leasing company) is going to continue to lease Subarus. They are discontinuing leasing for all Chrysler products as of Friday, the same day that Chrysler is getting out of the leasing business.
    I think Chrysler got hit with losses because they gambled on artificially high residuals.

Subarus generally have better resale so hopefully we don't see the same problem, though I agree that it's likely we'll see fewer lease offers gambling on such high residuals in the future.
    I just leased a 2009 Forester XT , 2yr 15k, MSRP of $27,288 plus dealer installed compass mirror. $424/mo with $549 down(first mo. payment and DMV fees). Was it a good deal?
    Congrats, sweet car!
  • chuckackchuckack Member Posts: 3
    hey red927 - what did you pay? in the $25.5K range
    what were your monthlies?

i am looking to close on a lease this week, limited 2.5X, 36 mos, 15K per year, and in the 11231 zip code.

I am awaiting what the new lease deals will be starting tomorrow.
    Can anyone else list their lease deals? I got an '09 Forester XT MSRP $27813 plus EC Compass mirror, 24mo , 15K/yr, $424/ mo , $549 Down(1st mo. payment and DMV fees).
    The lease payment is $382/month including tax in NJ. The lease was based on $26,300 with $500 down in Subaru bucks. This is for a car with a MSRP of approx. $28.5K. Having leased with Subaru before, the first payment was on them. I just paid DMV fees and a doc fee of $125 at delivery.

I don't know what the August rates are but since Subaru is selling lots of Foresters, there are probably very bargains out there. Good luck.

Phil
    Mine was a purchase.

Generally, though, the residuals for the Forester are higher than average for compact crossovers, so you should be able to do better than average.
  • giomangioman Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to give some info into my lease experience at the end of July!

I just leased a Dark Gray Forester 2.5x AT with Popular Eq. Group 1A and Tail Pipe covers for $287/month including tax in the Philadelphia PA area. I could not believe how effective the fax attack method got me a great price. MSRP: $22,609, Invoice: $21,223 and my price: $19,999. That's $1224 below invoice. The lease breakdown was as follows:
    36 Months, 15k,
    money factor: .00175(4.2%)
    Residual: 59%

I am thinking this is good deal? Any one else getting this?? The only thing extra I paid was registration....no money down.
    Very good, most residuals for this class are in the low 50% range. 59% is unheard of, especially since Chrysler announced they would stop leasing (and Chase followed).
    That's good info. as long as we're on the topic, does this deal sound good?

$26,620 invoices cost (incl, splash guard, cargo net, rear bumper guard, fuel & fuel surcharge, wheel locks, $685 dest cost)
    residual $15,498.30
    money factor .0016

$2797.89 up front
    - $1310.09 tax, NYS 8.375%
    - $699 acquisition fee and DMV
    - $424 cap cost reduction

$363.87 per month
    36 mo lease, 15K miles per year

might be pulling the trigger today, thanks in advance!
    That's over 58% on the residual, sounds good to me...
    and how do you feel about the invoice cost?
    I think invoice is fine, in fact with low supply right now I'm surprised dealers have not increased prices.

I had to order mine and wait about 5-6 weeks, but some folks are waiting 10-12 weeks. That's nuts.

Build more, Subaru!
    cool - thanks!
  • middlefiddlemiddlefiddle Member Posts: 4
    Looks like an excellent deal! Was that a leftover 08 or a new 09?
  • giomangioman Member Posts: 5
    It was an 09 Forester!!! New 75 mi. on it
    Here you go, gtmada. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester X Premium with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00175 and 61%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Outback i Limited are .00220 and 57%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey ateixeira. Chrysler completely pulled the plug on its lease program and General Motors' program just got a lot worse. The years of overestimating vehicles' residual values and the credit crunch are taking their toll on leasing. Subaru Finance runs its lease program in conjunction with Chase. I wouldn't automatically assume that it will be immune to these events, but so far Subaru has held the line and kept its lease program about the same. Hopefully for everyone here Subaru will continue to offer a competitive lease program in the future, but there definitely is a chance that its program will get worse.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks.

Yeah, you gotta wonder how long they can offer a 61% residual for 36 months, that's nuts.
  • gtmadagtmada Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Car_man! One more question if I could, how about the money factor and residual for an 08 Outback i Limited (3 years, 12K)?

Thanks again
  • windowsillwindowsill Member Posts: 5
    We are looking at leasing a Subaru Forester.

Is there a standard residual value we should be looking for? or a standard money factor? Does it depend on the state we buy it in?

We are looking at leasing a 09 XT.
    What residual should we aim for? money factor? Do we have the ability to call this? Or is every dealer different?

Also, can we negotiate below the dealer base price? or is that the final cost?

we're total novices!! :)
  • shonuffshonuff Member Posts: 4
    Car_man,

What is the Residual percentage and money factor on a Subaru Forester X Limited with Nav with lease terms of 36 months @ 15K miles/yr? @12K miles/yr?

If the residual/money factor changes without Nav, please send that as well.

Thanks!
  • windowsillwindowsill Member Posts: 5
    Car_man,

What is the Residual percentage and money factor on a Subaru Forester XT with lease terms of 36 months 12K miles/yr? No money down.

Thank You very much!!

(and are the numbers you give, true no matter what dealer we are going to?)
    No problem, gtmada. Here you go. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Subaru Outback i Limited Wagon with 12,000 miles per year are .00105 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey windowsill. Subaru's lease program does vary slightly by region, but this is what its program is like for this vehicle in most of the country. Subaru Finance's specific lease program for this model also varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different.

Its buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester XT with 15,000 miles per year are .00160 and 61%, respectively. These numbers should be consistent, regardless of what dealer you go to.

You definitely should be able to negotiate a discount on the Forester that you are interested in leasing, just as if you were paying cash for or financing it. I am not all that familiar with what the market is like for this vehicle right now, but given the current state of the auto industry I would not be surprised if you were able to get one for fairly close to dealer invoice. You can look up the invoice price of the exact model that you want over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. You also should stop by the "Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, shonuff. I don't believe that Subaru has an "X Limited" trim level of this model. It has an "XT Limited" and an "X Premium." For now I'll give you the scoop on the TX Premium. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester XT Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 56%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 1% higher. The addition of navigation reduces its residual value by 1%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi windowsill. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Forester XT with 12,000 miles per year are .00160 and 62%, respectively. This lease program should be the same at all dealers.

Car_man
    Host
  • weswazweswaz Member Posts: 23
    Wanted to share the results from the lease we ended up with over the weekend in So. Cal.

Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ All Weather Package, aero cross bar, rear bumper cover, splash guard, ipod interface...

36 Month Lease; 10K miles per year
    MSRP: 25388
    Base Cap: 23083 (about $700 under invoice)
    Money Factor: .00175
    Residual: 62%

I thought I could get better on the money factor w/ 740+ FICO score and a percentage better on the residual for lower miles... but the three lowest bidders wouldn't budge.

$600 out of pocket, $322 a month (includes 7.75% tax). I'm not complaining!

Worth noting for those in the So Cal market... of the 10 dealers in the OC, IE, and SD I sent email requests to, three were very competitive.and under invoice. Those dealerships were San Bernardino (where I bought mine... in and out in about an hour including a test drive), Irvine, and Puente Hills. The others quoted out of pocket fees of $700-100 and monthly payments of $340-366, or otherwise chose not to quote and instead insisted that I needed to come to their dealership. Something I found very effective... when emailing my request for a price, money factor, residual values I included the VIN # of the vehicle I was most likely to buy from the inventory listed on the dealers website.
This discussion has been closed.