Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza Lease Questions

Comments

• clarrkkentclarrkkent Member Posts: 5
    Car_man,

regarding lease buy rate money factors, are they standard across the board as long as a buyer qualifies for a lease OR are the money factors dependent on someone's credit score?
  • ericmdericmd Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

Can you post the October Subaru lease rates when you get them? I'm looking at a 2008 Impreza 2.5i 5-door Premium with the automatic. This would be for 36 months and 10,000 miles a year. Thanks.
  • mersadkmersadk Member Posts: 6
    Car_man,

Can you post October MF and residual values for
    2008 Impreza 2.5i 5-door for following:
    24 months / 15K miles
    36 months / 12K miles
    36 months/ 15K miles

Thanks for your help.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey akaplan1. I would be happy to give you my opinion on this deal. It would be much easier for me to evaluate it if you were able to provide me with this car's MSRP and selling price first. These are important numbers for anyone who is considering leasing a new vehicle to know. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing these numbers, it is difficult to tell how much of a discount you are being given on the car that you want. They also enable one to use Subaru's lease program to estimate what their monthly payment should be.

Let me know what these numbers are and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi mikeogo. I would be happy to work up a lease payment on this car for you using Subaru's current lease program. However, in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its MSRP and approximate selling price. I can always just assume a certain amount over the invoice price that you helpfully provided if you don't have a selling price in mind. Let me know and I'll crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi clarrkkent. Some banks use a pass / fail system where consumers either qualify for their special lease program or they don't. Other banks have tiered lease programs with money factors that vary by credit score. I believe that Subaru Finance uses the pass / fail system, but I am not 100% positive.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, ericmd. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00160 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, mersadk. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a base 2008 Impreza 2.5i Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00250 and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00160 and 57%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, this car's residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • john207john207 Member Posts: 1
    Car_man

These are the numbers that a dealer gave me for the 36-mo lease 12k/yr on 2008 Impreza Wagon Premum: money factor 0.0019 and 60% residual. When I questioned the money factor number he replied that the 0.00160 number (as per your post) is for the non-premium model only.

Is his information correct, or yours??

Thanks
  • jvostjvost Member Posts: 37
    I wanted an inexpensive, reliable, AWD car for my kids and this car seemed to fit the bill; I leased this car from a Denver dealer at the following terms:

MSRP: $17,640.00
    Discount: $ 710.54
    Discounted Price: $16,929.46 (inc. D&H of $399.95)
    Acquisition Fee: $ 595.00
    Capitalized Cost: $17,524.46
    Downpayment: $0
    Sec. Dep. $0
    Miles: 10K/Yr
    term: 36 Mos.
    Money Factor: 0.00190
    Residual%: 63%
    Payment: $232.50
    (B4 sales tax)

All in all this seemed like an ok deal considering my only out of pocket was the first month's payment of $232.50. The high residual of 63% and the reasonable MF of 0.00190 made for a low payment.

I wanted the Premium Package, but that increased the cap. cost $1500 and decreased the residual to 61%. That would have increased the payment $53.65/Mo. to $286.15, and I didn't judge it to be worth the extra.

Every dealer I contacted quoted MF of 0.00190 on 36 mo. deals; if there's a 0.00160 rate out there as quoted in this forum I couldn't find the car and/or terms on which it was available.

By the way, the sedan had higher residuals than the hatchback. On a 36 mo. 10k deal the residuals were 59% for the base model and 58% for the premium package.
  • doug_tdoug_t Member Posts: 22
    Not sure if the November #s are out yet, but if anyone has the residuals and money factor for a 2008 2.5i w/ premium package I'd be grateful. Looking for both 24 and 36 month terms, for 10k miles (12k if no 10k available). I am primarily interested in the hatchback, but would be curious to know if there is a difference with the sedan.

Thanks!

- Doug
  • ck7184ck7184 Member Posts: 5
    This dealer is offering the 2008 impreza 2.5i 5 door with preminum package for 500 below invoice which comes out to 19431 + tax/lic/docs fee. Is that a good deal? Or should I wait for teh price to go down more?

Thanks
  • jimmyjoejohnjimmyjoejohn Member Posts: 1
    Subaru has a bunch of lease deals going on this month with the left over 2007 imprezas. Can someone post the November numbers for the residual and money factor on a 2007 2.5 i Auto for the:
    36 10K
    36 12K
    39 10K
    39 12K
    42 10K
    42 12K
  • tonyjambotonyjambo Member Posts: 9
    Car_Man,

Can you tell me what the December Lease numbers are on the :
    Impreza 2.5i 5dr Wagon Premium and the impreza 2.5i 5 Dr wagon with nav ?

I spoke to a dealer today who told me the Residual was 57% which seems about right.

Thanks in advance
    Tony
  • ozeven600rrozeven600rr Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure what the actual numbers break down to, but I was able to get a 24 mo. lease, 12,000 mi/yr with $2500 total out of pocket down for $168.50/mo. Does this seem fair?

it was on the base model, 5 spd, only option was the spoiler.
  • lsossenlsossen Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the Money Factor and Residual for the 2008 WRX STi for 24 month and 36 month leases at both 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year?

Thanks.
  • speedracerrspeedracerr Member Posts: 6
    Carman/ Kyfdx,

Here's the lease offer from a dealer i got today for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-Dr Auto with Premium and VDC.

MSRP: $28,797
    Purchase Price: $26,591
    Edmunds Invoice Price: $26,317

Option 1) 36 mos, 15k/yr: $678.39 Total Drive Off, $433.64 payment including tax. $14,974.44 Residual (52%???), and 0.00150 lease factor.

Option 2) 48 mos, 12k/yr: $651.32 Total Drive Off, $406.57 payment including tax. $13,246.62 Residual (46%???), and 0.00215 lease factor.

I have a couple of questions: Can i do better on the purchase price? I have Tier 1 credit, is the residual and MF the best i can get or is the dealer marking up these numbers? Also, the lease calculator i have shows the payment should be $416.80 for 36 mos and $393.66 for 48 mos; why is the dealer payment higher? Could this be due to additional hidden dealer fees i'm not aware of?

I think i have a good offer but i think that there's definitely room for negotiation. Lastly, does VW offer any service/ maintenance plan i can try to get the dealer to throw in with the car?

Thanks so much for words of wisdom.
    Here's the latest information, lsossen. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 WRX STi without navigation or the BBS Package with 15,000 miles per year are .00240 and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00215 and 59%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, these residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi speedracerr. The selling price that you were quoted for the WRX that you are interested in looks great, provided that you are not in an region which Subaru is providing lease cash on this model. Subaru's incentives for this car vary significantly by region. If you tell me what state you are in, I should be able to tell you if there are any cash incentives available on leases of this model in your area. The money factors that you were quoted look great too. They are right in line with Subaru Finance's base lease program for this model.

I just calculated a couple of lease payments using the data that you provided in your post and I came up with $385.03 for 36 months and $363.66 for 48 months. One reason why the payments that the dealer quoted you are higher than this is they include sales tax. If this doesn't account for the entire difference, I'm not sure what would. Perhaps they are adding some fees to your car's capitalized cost.

Subaru may sell some sort of pre-paid maintenance plan, but if it does I do not have any information on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • speedracerrspeedracerr Member Posts: 6
    I reside in NV but the dealer i received the quote from is in Northern CA so i dont know how the incentives apply. Based on the payments you've calculated, it appears there's a huge difference. I will have to request a breakdown on the payment. I did receive another quote from a dealer in OR with about $300 more discount on the price so i have ammunition to go back to the dealer in CA.

I was also concern about the residual since it appears a little low for 36 mos. Thanks again for your expert advice.
  • orlando952orlando952 Member Posts: 1
    I've just started to get the WRX bug. I've been doing a lot of looking online trying to figure out descent lease deals or what I might be looking at on the leases for the WRX's. I'm in the orlando florida area. I've seen residuals anywhere from mid 40% to high 50%. The same thing with lease factors, ranging from .001s to .003s. Does anyone have any clue what is the most accurate for my area. I just want to try to be the best informed before I really start trying to work a deal. I also want to make sure I can afford one before I get too in love. Any help is great. Thanks
  • whatever11whatever11 Member Posts: 2
    How's this sound:

08 STI s/BBS package
    MSRP: $37,682
    Sale Price: $35,980
    MF: 215
    Residual: 52%
    Cap Reduction: $1,000 ($2,000 drive off)
    Term: 42 month
    Payment: $543.64

Anybody get a lower MF or Sale Price?
  • lspaddocklspaddock Member Posts: 1
    2008 Impreza STI Lease QuestionCar_man,

What's the residual and money factor rate for 2008 Impreza Sti
    (10k, 15k, 20k)milage per year
    (24,36,48 months) money factor and residual value.

Thank you,
    Lee
  • passat_mxpassat_mx Member Posts: 32
    Hi Car_man,

Do you have the money factor and residual for the WRX four-door sedan, manual transmission (XJO model), for 36mos, 15k miles per year? Are there any lease cash incentives? I'm in So. California.

Thanks.
  • katmandu2katmandu2 Member Posts: 13
    Just saw a TV ad and the Suburu website.

Both show an Impreza being available for $179/Month w/$978 Down.

Is this realistic or just a TEASER Bait and Switch ad ??
  • randylfrandylf Member Posts: 12
    I was looking at a WRX today, and here is what they worked out for me.

10k/yr and 42 month lease with a MF of .0016 and a residual of 60 -

This is with 1500 down -

The cost of the car was 25,669 sticker, and they discounted to 23,786, which came to 25,637 with tax, title, license.

Does this sound okay? I told them I wasnt planning on keeping the car after, so they planned my residual around that, does this look right?
    Well, without the guidance of the lease prophets, I did my homework, shopped around and ended up leasing a 2008 wrx today.

MSRP was 26,566 - It was the non premium, with a rear spoiler, s1 sports trim, auto dim mirror, and shift knob.

I ended up doing 22,356 sale price with a 24k mile, 2 year maintenance warranty for oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

It was a 42 month lease, w/ 1500 down, and 272/mth payments, with a residual of %59. Also,It was a 12k per mile lease.

I think I got them pretty rock bottom on price, but would like some feedback.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  • passat_mxpassat_mx Member Posts: 32
    Hi randylf,

Congratulations on your new ride. The sale price sounds great. I'm still waiting for the numbers from car_man before deciding to pull the trigger. Would you mind sharing the money factor you got?

Thanks.
    The money factor was .0016 and I have a 730 Fico, and im only 21 haha.

I think I managed to get a pretty good deal, and most importantly, I love the car so thats really all that matters.
  • gigoypotpotgigoypotpot Member Posts: 21
    I agree with you. Anyone tried to see what this is all about? I am really interested in getting an impreza and this might be my chance to get one!

Car_man,

Could you please tell me what the current MF and residual values are for 10k and 12k for 36 months? Thanks. I am in Anaheim, CA. And is it really possible to lease an 08 impreza for $179/month(+ tax)???
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    There are some great 24 mo deals on the base 4 door impreza. Does the 5 door models have the same residual % and money factor? Also are the rates as favorable for models with premiun pkg and nav?
  • dtsyvinedtsyvine Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone:

Can someone help out? I am currently leasing 2005 Subaru Impreza 4dr sedan with auto transmisison. I would like to lease another Subaru--2008 Impreza 5dr hatchback with premium package (MSRP $20,846).

I am currently paying $200 per month. Two questions:
    1. How do I estimate the residual value for my 2005 Impreza?
    2. What is a reasonable monthly payment for the 2008 Impreza that I would like to get?

Thanks so much.
  • budahkanbudahkan Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I would like to know the current (May 2008) Money Factor and Residual for the Impreza Wagon.
    Here you go, gigoypotpot. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2.5i Wagon with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00075 and 56%, respectively. The residual value for an otherwise identical lease with 10,000 miles per year is 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi budahkan. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this car for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Impreza 2.5i Wagon with an automatic transmission and 15,000 miles per year are .00075 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • whtcldjdwhtcldjd Member Posts: 1
    hi car man,

i've never leased a car before so, i'd really appreciate your help & input. i'm still learning about leases so bear with me. i'm in southern california & looking to lease a 2008 impreza 2.5i 5-door w/ sat radio, nav, vdc & automatic transmission. i want a 3 year lease for 12,000 miles/year. the msrp is $23,212, invoice is $21,883, and i've been quoted $20,883. i think mf is .00075 and residual value is 52%. with $1200 down, i'm told it's $289/month. does this sound right? is it a good deal? how do you make the monthly payment go lower? is there a way to increase/decrease mf & residual values? thanks!
  • quadringquadring Member Posts: 20
    One month ago, I leased a silver 2008 Impreza WRX 4 door, manual trans, sport grille, auto dim mirror, tailpipe tips, sticker price was 25,500. I wrote a check for 979.00 (750.00 down plus first month's payment.) Payment is 229.00 per month, 24 month lease, 10K miles per year. The deal is for real.
  • azbriankazbriank Member Posts: 22
    Any WRX #'s for May/June??

5sp & Auto?
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    You'll have to post all the numbers. Especially the Cap Cost, any fees, tax rate. etc. Just by the MSRP, RESIDUAL, SELLING PRICE & DOWNPAYMENT, I am coming up with a monthly payment of about $234 per month. Of course that is before sales tax which you didn't specify.
  • fleasfleas Member Posts: 1
    So I got a sales manager to tell me that Subaru gives them extra dealer $ to get people into 24 month leases. He told me $500. They lease thriugh Chase at .0324 annual rate. Then he offered me two deals. Both were for a basic 4 dr Impreza sedan, auto, 24 months, 10,000 miles and a down payment equal to the first month payment of 199 (that includes 5% sales tax). He used a residual of 72% . Then I asked him to include the $1,500 prem pack and he quoted me 199, same terms except the residual went to 74% b/c of the package.

Then I e-mailed another dealer and he quoted me $245 on the same deal for $165 above. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  • trackwrenchtrackwrench Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the current buy rate lease/MF is for an '08 Subaru Impreza WRX and WRX STI as of June? What about the residual? Also it seems as if the residual is different for different people for what appears to be the same model/trim, why is that? I'm about to go visit the local dealer soon so if anyone knows this info, it would be a great help. Thanks!
  • adrian12adrian12 Member Posts: 1
    I've leased a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (manual shift) and would like to "trade-up" to a Legacy (Automatic) at the same dealership. I talked to the dealership and he told me they can't do a trade, but they can give me a trade-in value (appraise the car) for my leased car and then lease me another car (meaning that they're 2 separate transactions). I've searched on the internet a bit and saw that many people don't recommend trading in a leased car because it's most likely a ripoff. I'm stressing now because I have so many questions!

1. I read online that if I return the car then there must be early termination fee and it will be factored into my new lease, making it more expensive. They are having a promotion on leasing the Legacy, but most likely they won't give the deal to me because they'll have to pay all the extra?

2. Is it possible that they take my car, saying that I don't have to make payments anymore, but later the leasing company bill me for the early termination fee? I'll have to make sure that there's no sudden payment popping up from somewhere else?

I'm thinking about still going to the dealership and see what trade-in value I can get and go from there. What can I expect? What are important questions that I have to ask and look out for?

I don't know if it helps, but this is my situation:
    My boyfriend and I have two cars, he recently got his old car back from a friend so now he has 2 cars. He's happy with the old car and doesn't need the leased Subaru anymore. His mother is willing to take the remaining of the lease (essentially just making the payments for him since Chase Auto Finance doesn't allow lease takeover) but would like a Automatic Legacy.

I appreciate any help and if there's any info missing please ask me! Thank you for your help!
    Welcome whtcldjd. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The money factor and residual value that you mentioned look about right to me. Let's work up a lease payment on this car and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 Subaru Impreza that has an MSRP of $23,212 and a selling price of $20,883 for 36 months using the lease program that you mentioned, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $270.

Since the dealer that you are working with is already using Subaru's buy rate lease money factor, the only way to get a lower monthly payment than this would be to negotiate a lower selling price, which would probably be difficult given how much below dealer invoice this car already is.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi azbriank. I have seen Subaru's June lease program. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this car for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2008 Impreza WRX Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    I can help you out, trackwrench. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this car for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2008 Impreza WRX Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 WRX STi Wagon are .00215 and 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi adrian12. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates, even if you are trying to keep things in the family so to speak by purchasing a different vehicle from the same manufacturer. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I got the following quote on a 2.5i wagon with AT: 36 months, $189/month and about $1700 up front, which includes sales tax (must be paid up front in my state), cap cost reduction of about $360, acquisition fee (which includes gap insurance) of about $650, first payment, and license. Does this seem like a good deal? I would prefer to pay less up front, and am especially interested if others have negotiated away the cap cost reduction and some/all of the acquisition fee. The rep also said their is a disposition fee of about $150-200. I would prefer not to pay that either. :)
    Hello backy. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Impreza that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what this vehicle's selling price is in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I am sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member be happy to give you their opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I understand what you are saying about MSRP and selling price, but in this case those numbers (especially selling price) are not very important to me. I know the MSRP for the vehicle is about $19,300-400, depending on how much is charged for the side molding I want (that seems to vary by dealer). Because I am looking for a lease with a low payment ($200 a month or less, 36 months) and low out-of-pocket expenses, those are the numbers that are most meaningful to me. I know from research that any lease with those terms on a car that is close to $20k in MSRP would be a very good deal. I will confirm that by looking at the money factor and residual values on the car. But any other numbers are not relevant to me until/unless I get a deal within the parameters I stated. When I do, then I will pour over all the numbers for the lease. And of course, the car has to be something I would want to drive for 3 years!

FYI I have yet to find a lease with exactly the terms I want, i.e. payments at/under $200 a month and little or no down, on a car I'd want to drive. The Impreza lease I mentioned above is far and away the best Impreza hatch/AT deal I've received from any dealer in my area, and I've only found one other deal that comes close in terms of total cash outlay, and that was for a Sportage with a MSRP of about $20k. There don't seem to be as many great lease deals out there now as there have been at times in the recent past. :(