Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I dare say the carb would behave better after a good cleaning and the installation of an overhaul kit.
  • vizerdrixvizerdrix Member Posts: 3
    That carb is so clean, you could eat in it! :p It's also a fairly new carb, recently replaced by the previous owner. Will look into an overhaul kit too, though. Thanks for your suggestions!

...chris
  • beachrichardbeachrichard Member Posts: 5
    Thanks so much wpalkowski.

Regards,
    Richard
    After looking at that site it doesn't have a guide for changing OEM to OEM just OEM to aftermarket. Maybe someone else will know of another location. Thanks though. Richard
  • dave150dave150 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know of solutions to a brake problem with my 2004 F-150? From the beginning, and now at 32,000 miles, I have been into the dealer 7 times because of vibrations (warped rotors mostly). This is getting ridiculous. I have been told every line, from brake shorter & harder, to the pads are now harder than the rotors, to...You name it. Well, bottom line is, they're giving up on working them. I have even had the rotors replaced @ 11,000 & 23,000. As a past repeat F-150 owner, I have never had such problems with brake wear. Does anyone have a solution? Would be gratly appreciated!!! I don't want to go through brakes every 9-15k miles for the rest of the vehicles life!...P.S. I rarely drive in the city & very rarely tow anything.
  • lucasredlucasred Member Posts: 2
    I've found that I only have 1 volt coming into pin 4 of ICM during cranking. Manual calls for 90% of battery voltage during cranking. I followed this wire to PCM at pin 4 there also. checked voltage coming directly from PCM computer and still only 1volt during cranking. Does anyone know the fuction of pin 4 at ICM or pin 4 at PCM? Thanks
    Jim
    Upon acceleration from a stop my F350 has a clunk feel rather than a sound. It feels as though something shifts under the truck. Has anyone experienced this. If so what was the problem and the cure? Thanks in advance. :confuse:
  • boats69boats69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 with about 18,000 miles on it. About a month ago, I noticed a vibration that seemed to occur whenever traveling up or down hills on the highway. I have also noticed it on sections of the interstate where a slight incline is encountered. At times it becomes very violent. I notice the windshield wipers bounce of the windshield. I just had it in at the Ford dealer where I bought it and they installed a new driveshaft assembly and both u-joints. At first I thought the problem was fixed. Then the other day it started doing it again. It's just as bad as it was. I am sure it is not the wheels or tires. When it happens the truck actually loses power. It feels like it is coming from the back of the truck.The problem never reveals itself whiile the truck is at the shop. I am very frustrated and would appreciate hearing from anyone with the same problem.
  • f150householdf150household Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 F150. Today the front right u-joint broke. It only has 40,000 miles and no rough driving.

We bought the truck brand new. No previous owner.

Has anyone heard of this happening a lot?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Not a lot of info to go on. Could be a warn universal joint - check the drive shaft. How about a broken motor mount. Does engine sag on one side, or if you've got it in Park or neutral and step on the accelerator, do you see the motor torque excessively to one side? Is truck 4x2 or 4x4? 4x4 has its own unique noises.

Is this every time you accelerate, or is it just the first time you get started in the morning after the truck has sat overnight? Some times brake pads stick a little, and move a bit when you start out and because the small amount of play they make a clunk as the fully release.
  • mevsfordmevsford Member Posts: 1
    I had a similiar problem with my 2004 F150. With a mere 300 miles on it, the rear started
    to whine. I took it to the local Lincoln dealer at 800 miles and they
    had a service bulletin on it. Replaced the ring pinion gear.
    I will get someone to assist me so I can check for the engine moving excessively. This is a 4X2. This condition occurs everytime I accelerate from a stopped position.
    It doesn't do it if I hold my foot on the brake and accelerate only when it starts moving. That kind of sounds brake related doesn't it.
    Thanks, Richard
  • americanprideamericanpride Member Posts: 1
    I have someone with a similar problem, one of our employees (Dexter) brought his truck to a local dealer for a vibration in the steering.

The following is my notes on this issue, I’m not sure what to do, I’m just keeping notes for now and I will drive the truck home today to see for myself what its doing.

--------------------------------------------

7-14-05 Dexter informed me that he brought his truck to a local dealer. Once he was there he informed the service writer (David) the vehicle recently started vibrating really bad between 60-70 when he hits a bump.
    He said david informed him there is a TSB out on that problem and that he has had several in for the same problem.

I called david @ 1:00 he said the same thing and added that the sheriff office has three that has already been in his shop for the same thing. All three came in that the TSB said to check steering adjustments that they adjusted the lash in the steering box and that two of them keep complaining of the same problem.

He mentioned that its only on F-250 4x4 gas trucks and that ford is waiting on their engineering department to come up with a fix.

I asked about the TSB, that I looked on Alldata and the only one I seen that was even close was a shudder/vibration at acceleration. He said alldata isnt updated fast enough that it must have just came out. I asked what does it say, he said he will print it and fax to me. He put me on hold came back and said its no longer in the system that ford must have realized there was no current fix.

At this time the driver refuses to drive the truck and the dealer is not sure how long the truck will be downed in his yard.

7-18-05 called David, ask if he heard anything, he said nothing yet. I told him I will send someone to pick it up and I will drive it myself.
  • tyler7tyler7 Member Posts: 1
    I was told that ford was having a problem with vibration problem when i mentioned it to the service advisor at the dealership.....that was 4 tires and 2 new front rims a drive shaft, new rack and pinion and work done on the rear end also replaced all 4 rotors and vibration is still present we are now going to arbitration on this truck...if you need more info go to alldata website for tsbs and also look for seatbelt not to retract as well as the chirp from the belts on cool mornings. Ford has tsbs on alll this but aren't telling anyone. i have had it. and then was told ford would settle but didnt. now we go to arbitration. good luck the problems and hits just keep on comin.oh yea i forgot to mention the new transmission at 1700 miles
  • fordgal9fordgal9 Member Posts: 2
    I just had the fuel pump go on my truck. I only have 49,000 miles on it. Several people have told me that this is low mileage for this type of problem. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? The dealership has basically told me that the fuel pump goes when it goes. Thanks for the info.
  • atvlouisatvlouis Member Posts: 3
    i have a 90 f150 and it has to warm up before i can drive it , it stalls when i put it in drive, i have clean the cold air intake (it was real dirty) but it still stall, also can not go over 60mph.the is alot of pedal left just will not go over 60mph.any help please
  • ronm4ronm4 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2004 F-150 4x4 with 17,500 miles on it. Since June I have been experiencing severe intermittant vibratiion. I traced it to the left rear emergency brake drum not releasing properly. Sometimes after travelling approximately 10 miles, the problem would present itself. Brake drum is very hot to the touch and infrared thermometer readings are approximately 375 degrees on the left rear brake drum. Other brake rotors/drums are approximately 150 degrees. Very noticeable brake drum lining odor is present. Dealer response has not been satisfactory at this point. They can find nothing wrong. Truck is going back to the dealer Thursday, July 21, so a Ford Rep can inspect the situation. Will let you know the results.
  • jaimejollupsjaimejollups Member Posts: 1
    similar trouble with 92 f150, at first died while driving, then the elusive spark, after replacing the pick up coil i got first spark in days, found stator wire from back of alternator sheared off so connected it to a wire very similar..mistake! you tried the fusible links? i wonder if they have to be removed to test, that is what the book says. i have an inline 6, 1bbl, 4x4, seems different vehicles with same troubles???
    well good luck
    jaime">link title
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    My air conditioner does not cool properly. This was my first complaint when I bought the truck and they took it for service but nothing changed. The A/C cools down after 10 to 15 minutes on the Hwy. but is not cold like any other car I have owned before. I took a look at the condenser coils in the hood and the condenser is the same size as the engine radiator but slimmer (FRONT) and I notice that it does not have an electric fan. It seems like it is very close almost together with the engine radiator and it gets the heat form the engine. I also notice that my compressor does not stay on and cuts prematurely

**Does anybody here works or has work for FORD (mechanic)before and can explain this flaw?Can ford just install an electric fan? Is ford doing this trick to save on compressors? What is going on?????

Thanks in advance

MG
  • psewell66psewell66 Member Posts: 1
    My biz partner bought a 2005 F250 4x4 Super cab 4 months ago.
    He has had it to the dealer twice to correct the loss of control and vibration in the front end when going down a dirt road at 30 to 40 mph.
    He also just about lost it on the highway at 65mph and nearly swerved off the road.
    Jacked it up and got the wheels off the ground and can not find anything loose.
    Taking it back to dealer today but has anyone else experienced front end problems and loss of control with this model?
    Does anyone know of solutions to a brake problem with my 2004 F-150? From the beginning, and now at 32,000 miles, I have been into the dealer 7 times because of vibrations (warped rotors mostly). This is getting ridiculous. I have been told every line, from brake shorter & harder, to the pads are now harder than the rotors, to...You name it. Well, bottom line is, they're giving up on working them. I have even had the rotors replaced 11,000 & 23,000. As a repeat F-150 owner, I have never had such problems with brake wear. Does anyone have a solution? Would be greatly appreciated!!! Obviously, I'd like to avoid going through brakes every 9-15k miles for the rest of the vehicles life!...P.S. I rarely drive in the city & very rarely tow anything. Thank you in advance for your help & suggestions.
  • hms186hms186 Member Posts: 1
    it reads emissions not ready [ noone can figure it out]
  • chuck_firecomchuck_firecom Member Posts: 2
    The problem started on a very rough, steep, dirt road. I got to the bottom of the hill, all of the gauges were at "zero" and I couldn't switch out of 4wd, low range.
    I finally found a blown fuse #45, a 10amp mini and replaced it.
    All fine until another rough road trip the next morning. Same routine.
    Worked fine for a few days then blew twice in one morning on a smooth city street.
    I checked under the vehicle to see if a loom was pinched anywhere, especially near the suspension.
    I also checked the cab ceiling circuits and brake lights as I had just added a Confer rack to the top. All of those circuits seemed okay.
    Any ideas on where to start a more detailed search or where to get a detailed electrical manual for this truck?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chuck
  • omitchosomitchos Member Posts: 1
    I have a vibration i my truck at about 1500-2500 rpm from a dead stop. Is this the same thing as you?
  • firegod104firegod104 Member Posts: 1
    i am new to this site so i hope that someone can help me. i need to remove the rear seat of my 2004 f-150 supercab and am not quite sure how to do it. i know the little older models was just a quick lift up of the seat and she would pop out. these seem to be a little more difficult. i know some of you's are very knowledgeable in these vehicles, so any help would be appreciated.
    also there have been some discussion on vibration and such. i do know that the rear differential was causing some probs. i think that it has been such a prob that there is talk of a possible recall on them. i know that they are fixing them in my area free of charge. my bro has a 04 as well and he had his done. also he has had probs with his 4wheel drive system. i hope this helps a bit. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    What year is your truck? DId you recently change or reconnect the battery?

Usually if the battery has been disconnected, it will take a few drive cycles for the OBD system to "re-learn" and once that happens, the emissions codes will be "ready".
  • jdfrmkyjdfrmky Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2004 F150.Driver window and passenger window rubs something marking the window sort of a very shallow scratch you can feel with a fingernail but cleans up.out of the 4 times to the dealer they replaced window seals on third visit.That was ok for awhile.Last visit they just cleaned the window tracks.It seems this scratching would tear window tinting film.I would really like to get the windows tinted because my A/C blows weak,which seems to be a Ford thing at least it was on my wife's Escape.
  • judistjudist Member Posts: 1
    Had the oil changed (by Ford) about a month ago (for the second time) and noticed a pool of oil in my driveway the day after. I think this may be an unrelated leak, but who knows.

The oil is visibly dripping from the plug with the allen wrench mating hole in it, located right behind the crankshaft pulley/vibration damper on the underside of the engine (near the front) and has coated the steer axle frame.

Ford ran a diesel leak diagnostic and replaced the CAM position sensor, and I was informed the ICP was not leaking after this repair. Well, the leak in the plug is still there.

Has anybody else had this problem? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get a resolution from the dealer and have fallen into the cycle, take it to Ford, Ford keeps it for 2-3 days and says the problem is fixed, and returns it still leaking. Going on 1 month and 3 visits to the shop.

Any ideas?
  • xabntroopxabntroop Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 05 F-250 and have 2k miles on it. On Friday I was driving about 55 or 60 and went to pass a big rig..as my rpms increased to pass I heard a loud noise....thought I had a blowout at first but noticed a noise from the engine and an immediate loss of power. I pulled over, popped open the hood and the hose right behind the shroud had blown off and and hit the hood so hard I got a small dent. I suppose this has happened to someone else out there because my brother in law had the same thing happen to his 04 excursion (minus the dent). The clamp on the hose is a metric 11 and if anyone has any idea why it happened (other than the clamp being loose) please let me know.
  • jct1jct1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having similar issues. My 2005 F150 stalls and dies out during slow speeds and also having starting problems. After four attemts the dealer finally determined that the PCM(Power control Module) was bad. It has been in the shop for three weeks now. Let you know what happens. Oh, and nothing ever registered on the on board computer so it made it even harder to pinpoint.
  • kinzu2kinzu2 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2002 ford f250..bought used had 14,000 miles..now at 22,000 ...truck had vibration when braking..ford garage fixed before i purchased. Now at 22,000 miles vibration was back,Took truck back in to dealer, pulled wheels ,found all rotors were burned black,,said a slide in calipers were froze..$900 repair replace all rotors an pads...Has anyone else had this problem that u know?..or have u received any help on your problem...Kinzu
  • atlfannmatlfannm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1997 F250 4wd< re balanced drive shafts, three sets of tires my tire man banned me from his store. re packed wheel bearings, indexed tired to rims, I just do not have a clue, the vibration started at 65000 and now at 90000 it is just not drivable over 50 miles per hour, what do I do now.
  • hokahey4uhokahey4u Member Posts: 1
    I think what your saying is that you blew one of the lines that go into the turbo. If this is the case the best way to fix it is to get a synthetic chamois and cut about a one inch wide strip long enough to go around the turbo pipe. Clean the area of all oil and then wrap the pipe with the synthetic strip and than place the hose over it. The strip works like a gasket between your turbo hose and your turbo pipe. Once tightened the strip will soak up any oil and it will actually prevent the hose from blowing off anymore. I have three F-350s and they were having that same problem and until I did this the hoses kept slipping or blowing off. I have found that this is the best fix.
    Being that it is the new design, on another board it was suggested to me that if I had 18" wheels, and I do, to notice that those same design were not offered in 2005 models...Not enough air-flow???? Hmmmmm... Sneaky.
  • oaaieoaaie Member Posts: 1
    How do you adjust the clutch on an F-250? Is it like bleeding the brakes, or is there something else I'm supposed to know? I had to replace the hydralic line, and now I can't get the adjustment right.
  • powell4x4powell4x4 Member Posts: 2
    Need some help in locating the grounding post of my 1998 model F-150 4X4 for the Wipers, Interior cab lighting, Power windows. I suspect that the ground is not secure, due to when I reset the 50 amp fuse in the power distribution under the hood they come on without spikes in the circuits but shut down shortly after reset of all relays/breakers. Can someone help with experience in this problem? Thank You!

Cliff
  • gator440gator440 Member Posts: 4
    I've got a '94 F-150 4x2 with a 4.9 6 cyl., E4OD trans and a 3.55 rear end with 84K miles which gets around 13 mpg around town and 15 on the highway. I feel it should be getting around 20 on the highway as I know of simular trucks with 302's in them that will do this. I've replaced the oxygen sensor and the motor is in excellent shape. It's also got 31X10.50R15 tires on it which I figured I could deduct one or two mpg at the max. Any suggestions or am I expecting too much?

Thanks
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Just like the brakes, air will have to be bled out if you changed a line.
  • west0523west0523 Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't expect to get much higher than that. I have a '91 with the 4.9l and it gets 14 city and on good days 16 hwy.
  • jimmer1jimmer1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 Lariat Supercrew w/moonroof and have the same problem. It appears that the dome light is rattling against the roof when hitting a bump and the headliner flexes. It should be a simple fix for the dealer. Either attach the light assembly to the roof? Or, install an adhesive backed pad to the back of the light assembly to eliminate the "knocking" noise. These type of problems should never make it to the customer and should be caught at the plant. In my case Dearborn Assembly should have identified this problem on their "squeak and rattle" track that every vehicle travels on.
  • tlintontlinton Member Posts: 1
    I just took my new F150 supercab back to the service department for this very same issue. I have the 20in performance wheels and tires on mine and at about 65 mph I get a vibration in the steering wheel. I will email if it's gets resolved in a few days
  • dzrtthunderdzrtthunder Member Posts: 1
    nokey, I have a 99 f150 supercab and I am in the same situation. Did you find a key, and is yours six pedaled flower shape/design?
  • dieselnaivedieselnaive Member Posts: 1
    There is no point blaming someone how it happened. My truck is now park at my house after driving approx. 25 miles. The truck was nearly empty when filled with gas. Apparently in the way home the vehicle struggle a bit making it uphill. I just turned the engine, you can hear the engine running rough but not so bad yet. What should I do, drain it? call a local mechanic? I don't want to call the dealer in case other future problems occur, my warranty might be in jeoperdy. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Ouch! Don't run the truck any more. Diesel engines use the fuel to lubricate various parts, Gasoline doesn't have this "lubricity" and if you run it long enough it'll ruin your fuel injectors. $$ :cry:

Dealers aren't cheap when this happens, I've heard them charging as much as $600-$700 to fix this and then to add insult to injury they charge you an "Environmental fee" to dispose of the gasoline. You can fix this yourself, but it's still gonna cost you
    a bit of money, and fair amount of time.

You've obviously got to get the gas out of the tank. You're gonna have to get a bunch of 5 gallon gas containers to hold the fuel. Don't drain it onto the ground, you can blow yourself and the truck up. Don't dump it either. You can save the gas and run it in another vehicle or save it for your lawn mower.

You won't be able to siphon the tank out because our rigs have a "Rollover Valve" that prevents fuel from pouring out after an accident. It blocks a siphon hose. One way to drain the tank without dropping the heavy fuel tank: you can disconnect the outlet hose from the fuel pump, attach a piece of hose to the pump and run it into your gas cans. Turn on the key, the pump will run for about 20 seconds then you'll have to turn key off, then on again. Repeat as needed till empty. It's TEDIOUS, but will eventually empty the tank.

Put the fuel line back on. Now drain the fuel filter via the water separator valve. Add a few gallons of diesel to the tank. Pressurize the system, drain and cycle the key until only diesel is coming out. Now put a new fuel filter on it. Refill it with fresh DIESEL. Add a healthy dose of Diesel Fuel Lubricant to the tank. Run the truck and cross your fingers. After a few hundred miles I would change the fuel filter again.

My buddy did this a couple years ago and has had no problems down the road with injectors failing, but every truck and circumstance is different. Good luck and hope it works out in the cheapest way for you.
  • powell4x4powell4x4 Member Posts: 2
    You may need to change out your EGR Valve and clean the tubes to increase your mileage.
  • f150doubterf150doubter Member Posts: 2
    I too suffer from noisy, irritating ticks and rattles that come from the new F150. The steering wheel tick that you are experiencing, I had also. What I found that worked was to lay upside down in the driver s seat and look up in to the steering column. About half way up the column is a collar . If I can remember correctly it is metal or plastic and needs to be repositioned. Twist it a little and it should fix it.
  • vader77vader77 Member Posts: 2
    At highway speeds, my 99 F150 4X4, when in overdrive (obviously at low RPM's) seems like it's misfiring (almost like it's running out of gas). When I turn the overdrive off, the problem goes away. I've tried spark plugs, cleaned out the K&N filter, and tried fuel injector cleaner. Any ideas before i bend over at the dealer?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    DO NOT START THAT ENGINE AGAIN.

Have the truck towed to the dealer and explain what has happened. They will have to drop the tank as well as flush the fuel lines... you also need to have the injectors and pump checked.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • oldrayoldray Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light comes on and with a reader I get "bad heater on Bank 1 Sensor 2". Does anyone know which sensor of the 4 on the exhaust system is this specific sensor.
  • obxfishnobxfishn Member Posts: 1
    i have a 01 cc w/7.3 a/t 4x4, the interior lights,4x4,cruise,pwr/windows,pwr/mirrors quit working, i had the gem replaced at the dealer, but still not working, any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.