Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey Brian. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 48 month lease of a 2007 Legacy GT Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00230 and 54%, respectively. I would be happy to use this program to estimate what your lease payment should be like on this car. In order for me to so I just need you to provide me with its MSRP and VIP selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    MSRP: $31,111
    Invoice: $28,791

VIP pricing is invoice minus any incentives/discounts (looks like $750 customer cash is available).

I too am ahead on my '04 Forester XT: the lease payoff is lower than the "average" trade-in figures. Selling a leased car at home isn't usually ideal, will have to see if CarMax has any interest in it if the Subie dealer doesn't.

thanks,
    -Brian
    I sure do, ursrob. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Legacy GT Limited Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 65%, respectively. With this lease you would have to pay your vehicle's first month's payment, a security deposit equivalent to that payment rounded up the the nearest $25 or $50 increment, Subaru's $595 acquisition fee, and any requited state taxes or fees at signing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings looking4lease. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2007 Legacy Limited Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00270 and 72%, respectively. The residual value for an otherwise identical lease with 15,000 miles per year is 2% lower.

I see that you are considering making a $2,000 down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers not to make down payments when leasing. I do so because if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, their down payment essentially disappears. Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they want without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction. All you will have to pay at lease signing are your vehicle's first month's payment, security deposit, $595 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees at signing.

I would be happy to give you my opinion of the deal that you are getting, but you never mentioned this car's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing what the selling price is, it's difficult to say how good a deal this is. Subaru is currently providing $750 customer cash on this model, but I do not believe that this cash is compatible with its lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thanks for the additional information, Brian. Subaru is providing $750 customer cash on the 2007 Legacy right now, but I do not believe that this cash is compatible with its special lease program. So I guess that for the purpose of a lease through the VIP program, this vehicle's capitalized cost would be dealer invoice. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Legacy GT Sedan with an MSRP of $31,111 and a selling price of $28,791 through Subaru's captive finance company for 48 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $355.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • aparamedicaparamedic Member Posts: 6
    Car_man

Can you help with some lease numbers for me as this is my first lease:

2007 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan Manual
    Selling price 17,999 + options of $927 = selling price 18926. MSRP of the vehicle is 22094 (incl. options & delivery)

I'm looking at a 39 month 15K lease using the Subaru captive finance company / Sign & Drive promotion. I think the residual is 52% and MF is .00230, but can you double check those for me?

This lease is for PA which has a 6% sales tax and a 3% lease tax.

Using an excel lease calculator, I get the following numbers using the following assumptions:
    Acquisition fee: 595
    Tax 9% (6% + 3%)

Subaru Lease cash (which IS compatible with special lease promotion: (- 750)
    Dealer CAP reduction under Subaru Sign & Drive Lease: (- 1057)

Total depreciation 7928.46
    Monthly Depreciation 203.29
    Monthly Finance fee 71.08
    Monthly payment 274.38

The dealership claims that they are using the same MF and residual, but are coming up with a payment of 287 per month. I realize that it's not a lot of difference, but I'm trying to figure out where the difference comes from.

Also, how is end of lease buy-out pricing obtained? Is it the cap cost / sale price minus the total depreciation (in this case 18926 - 7928 = 10998)?

Thanks for your help!
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    Dealer in New England gave me these price quotes:

2007 Legacy gt ltd sedan. , with spoiler--xm radio--subwoofer;

24mos 15k/year.$551.95 monthly(including tax and fees)
    $1557.89 out of pocket

36mos. 15k/year. $495.80 monthly(including tax and fees
    $1501.74 out of pocket

This for MSRP of $31,449 and Invoice of $29,101

These numbers seem to be way out of whack with what Edmunds lists as current Subaru deals. Or am I missing something??
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    HI
    My 2003 special edition is off lease on the 21st. I'm looking into getting another Legacy but can't decide if the extra cost of the GT with the premium fuel, extra insurance, is worth it. I'll probably stay with the special edition.
    Two questions: is it worth trying to find an 06 GT and see if I can get it at a bigger discount than the 07? Does the fact that it's already a year old effect the price since it's already depreciated?
    (ok three questions...) I see that many people say that they want to lease with no money down or even that it's not good to put money down...is that the best way? I had to put down about 3 grand for the last one. I see though that there is a special program on now for new cars, and wonder if I can get a good deal on one since I also get the loyalty 1% discount. The only problem is that I'm 20,000km over on my mileage which is about 2 grand I'll have to pay unless I can get them to absorb it. What is the best way to proceed. I have to do this soon.
    thanks,
    cdndriver. Oh, I live in Toronto, Canada
    Welcome aparamedic. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Let's take a look at this deal. You were quoted a discount of $3,168 on a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan. This vehicle only has a spread of a little over $1,200 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. Add to that the $750 lease cash that is currently available on this model and we come up with a total of around $2,000 to play with. As you can see, the selling price that you were quoted for this vehicle is excellent. The money factor and residual value that you were quoted for this car are right on the money as well. If you like it, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Vehicles' residual values are base upon a percentage of their full MSRPs including the destination charge and the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • plevyvaplevyva Member Posts: 2
    Car_man, can I get some help with a 2007 Legacy GT with 30,303 MSRP and 26266 selling price for a 36 month lease and 12K miles/year. I am looking for MF and residual value to figure out lease payments. Thanks
  • plevyvaplevyva Member Posts: 2
    Just to add some more info, the dealer quoted $446.61 monthly payment on a 3 yr lease 12K miles/year and no down payment other than 1st month payment.

It appears they are using a .003 MF and 49% residual..are those the right values?

Thanks
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    This is my first ever "attempt" at leasing a car. The dealer is in San Antonio, Tx.

2007 Legacy 2.5i special edition MSRP $22,420 42 months @ $293.58 for 42 months $2,200 down residual $11,658.40. I don't remember the exact selling price it is around #20,4xx. The advertised price is $20,999. The interest factor is .00260 & residual rate is 52%. Is this a fair price or should I walk? Thank you
  • marks655marks655 Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a Legacy Special Edition for $276/month with a $1,500 trade-in allowance and $500 out-of pocket. Details: 42 month 12k miles/year. Very pleased with the car and the lease terms. Includes tax, etc.
    Thank you marks655

Car Man please advise on my cost..marks price is better than the one I have. I am going to the dealer on Wed..can you help me? TIA
    The lease monthly payments/down payments don't seem to fit the "you can get more car for less money per month" Some of the monthly rates I have been quoted would pay off a car in 5 or 6 years. Ford was the only one that seems to have favorable lease deals (I did not try GM)any thoughts?
  • ajfitzerajfitzer Member Posts: 30
    Carman, in case the Outback is too rich for my blood, can i get the current residual and mf for the 2.5i SE wagon on either 24,36, and 42 months with 12K miles??

Thanks again!

ajfitz
    Hi plevyva. I would be happy to estimate what this car's lease payment should be for you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan with an MSRP of $30,303 and a selling price of $26,266 through Subaru Finance wight now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $373. I used a money factor of .00210 and a residual value of 53% to calculate this payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Is the lease deal I posted in msg 64 good/bad?

TIA
    Hi retiredguy. Since this is your first time leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

You seem to have a good grasp of what information to gather about the vehicle that you want to lease. The two most important numbers to focus on are its selling price and its money factor. You were quoted around a $2,000 discount on this car. When the $750 lease cash that is currently available on it is backed out, this is a $1,250 discount. A base 2007 Legacy has a spread of around $1,150 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price, so the price that you were quoted looks good to me. The money factor looks a little high though. The last time I saw Subaru's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan they were .00210 and 49% with 15,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Here you go, ajfitz. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Legacy 2.5i Sedan Special Edition with 12,000 miles per year are .00270 and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00230 and 55%. Its 42 month numbers are .00210 and 51%. When negotiating your lease on this model, make sure to take the $750 lease cash that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jhall111jhall111 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car man-

I'm new to these forums. What a nice resource! I'm impressed with the amount of information that is available here.

I'm looking at a leasing a 2007 Legacy Special Edition 2.5i sedan within about 3 months. I'm looking at either a 24 or 36 month lease with 12K per year. Here are the details on the specific deal I'm looking at:

MSRP $23,430 (options are auto. transmission, armrest extension, auto dimming mirror/compass, all weather mats, and spoiler)

My questions are:
    1. What are the current residuals for 24 and 36 months?
    2. What are the current money factors used for 24 and 36 months?
    3. What should be a reasonable negotiated discount? (I haven't yet made a visit to my salesperson.) Carsdirect.com is saying about 1,100-1,200 off of msrp for my area (western NY).
    4. Are there any lease cash or lease rebates?
    5. Do you anticipate any changes in Subaru's programs over the course of the next 3 months?

Thanks for your help with these questions.
    Joe
    Welcome Joe. Thanks. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00225 and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00230 and 55%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $750 lease cash that is currently available on it. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

If I was in the market for this car, I personally would shoot for a selling price that's $500 or so over dealer invoice before the subtraction of the $750 incentive, which would put you at around $250 under invoice after the cash is taken into account. Make sure to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar vehicles lately: "Subaru Legacy: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Subaru's current cash incentives and lease program is scheduled to run through April 2nd. Unfortunately, it is difficult to say what its new April program will be like at this point.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • nickc3nickc3 Member Posts: 17
    I was quoted for a Legacy Special Edition Base Model, Auto:

36 months, 15K Miles/Per year:
    318/Month
    $680 Due at signing + Reg fees

24 Months:
    $300/Month
    $680 Due at Signing + DMV Fees

Dealer also stated he would extend warranty if we took 36 months.

I'm getting this through the "VIP" program discount I get through work...

Sounds like a fair deal?
  • nickc3nickc3 Member Posts: 17
    Well, I had 2 dealers fighting over my deal...I ended up getting:

Due at signing:
    $595 Bank fee
    $90 document fee
    DMV Fees

36 Months
    15K Miles/Year
    Leasecare Warranty

$279/Month.

Outrageous......I told dealer (kidding) that I would take 2 at that price!
  • liz15liz15 Member Posts: 24
    This is my first time leasing and I was hoping you could let me know if I have a good deal.

2.5i Limited Sedan
    The Price I Received $24,065
    Residual Value 68%
    Money Factor - Dealer told me 5% and change
    24 Months
    Sales Tax 7%
    12,000 miles
    Lease Price with tax $337.15
    No money down, but they want me to pay $695 plus registration fee. What is the $695 for?

What do you think?

The dealer told me that it would cost more for me to lease at 36 months because of the program.
  • cfc247cfc247 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just leased an 07 Legacy special edition w/automatic for $274 with $0 down and paid about $210 for registration and fees at signing. 42months/12k miles per year.

With tax the payment comes out to $298 I believe. The car is only about two months old. I just checked the buyout price and saw that it was $17,800. When I do the calculations, buying the car with about $3000 down would make my payment very similar to the lease. Is it worth pursuing or should I wait to the end of the lease?
  • rubensmadderrubensmadder Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm planning on leasing a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE Sedan. However I'm not sure if me being unemployed (since I am a full time medical student) would affect my chances of getting a good deal on a lease. I have been in contact with Lynnes Subaru in Northern NJ and I have been told that the lease rates for the Legacy 2.5 SE and GT would be the following: $275/month sign and drive for 36 months 12K miles/yr or $179/month with $2594 due at signing for 36 months 12K miles/yr both for Tier 1 and 2 credit. I jst checked my 3-bureau credit report today and my FICO score ranges from 680-699.

I would really appreciate it if you can give me some rough numbers as to what i would most likely qualify for considering my credit score and being a full time student.

Thanks.
    Hi nickc3. I assume that VIP is Subaru's name for its supplier purchase program. If so, the fact that you are able to purchase a vehicle through it should guarantee that you are getting a good deal on this car. Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to find out the exact MSRP and selling price that are being used to calculate the monthly payment that you were quoted. I always advise lessees to find these numbers out for any vehicle that they want. Also, make sure that the dealer that you are leasing through uses Subaru Finance's buy rate lease money factor to calculate your car's monthly payment. Its current buy rate for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Legacy Special Edition Base Sedan is .00225. The buy rate for a 36 month lease of this car is .00230.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome liz15. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

What is this car's full MSRP? If you let me know I can see how much of a discount you are being given on it and give you my opinion of this deal.

Subaru Finance charges a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. Individual dealers do not have the authority to waive this charge, but they do often have the ability to pad it to try to hide extra profit in deals. It looks like the dealer that you are working with is trying to mark-up Subaru's base acquisition fee by $100.

Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan is .00265, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 6.36%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi cfc247. Where did you get the $17,800 buy out price? Is it the end of term purchase option that is listed on your lease contract? If so, in order to purchase your Legacy you would have to pay this price PLUS all of your remaining lease payments, or at least the depreciation portion of them to buy your car right now. You probably will be better off waiting until the scheduled end of your current lease to decide if you want to purchase your Legacy.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi rubensmadder. Your credit score is certainly good enough to lease the Legacy that you are interested in, but I am not sure if the fact that you are not currently employed will make Subaru Finance hesitant to lease a vehicle to you. It very well might. You really need to sit down with the F&I person at a dealership to find out.

If you are able to lease this car, you really need to find out what its full MSRP and selling price are before finalizing your deal. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. It is difficult to tell how good a deal you are getting on your Legacy without knowing what these numbers are.

Once you have a selling price that you are comfortable with, make sure that the dealer that gives it to you uses Subaru Finance's buy rate lease money factor to calculate your monthly payment. Its current buy rate for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Legacy 2.5i SE Sedan is .00230.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • nantucatnantucat Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the word is on Quirk Subaru in Braintree, MA? They have a 2 yr Legacy lease for $79/mo. Sounds too good to be true to me...

Thanks for sharing experience.
    Regards,
    Annie on Nantucket
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd hate to see what was due at signing, probably $10 grand.
  • rudi2rudi2 Member Posts: 23
    Hi Car man. I have a price for a 2008 legacy SE sedan 2.5i automatic of $20,000 plus tax and motor vehicle fees. If I were to lease it for 48 months, with 15,000 miles per year, what would my payments be?The car would be purchased in new Jersey. The MSRP for the vehicle is approx.$23,000.
  • ericmdericmd Member Posts: 3
    Car Man,

Do you know what the July residual value and money factor are on a 2008 Legacy GT and Legacy GT spec.b. I was recently quoted 56% and .0026 (GT) and 50% and .0026 (spec.b). These were for 36 months and 10,000 miles a year. Do these sound right?
  • fuzzynipsfuzzynips Member Posts: 37
    Today, I was quoted the following for a 2008 Legacy GT:

MF: .00185 (4.44%)
    RESIDUAL: 49%

This is for 36 months / 15,000 miles
  • ericmdericmd Member Posts: 3
    What dealer/area did you get the quote from? The best money factor I have been quoted is .0026. I figured the dealers were inflating this number. I can't find the Subaru Motors Finance money factor anywhere online.
  • fuzzynipsfuzzynips Member Posts: 37
    Chicago land area. It's weird, I have gotten quotes from two dealerships and these are what I have been given for an identical vehicle and the same lease terms (36 months / 15,000 miles annually).

Dealer #1:
    Residual: 49%
    Money Factor: .00185

Dealer #2:
    Residual: 54%
    Money Factor: .00310

As you can see, there is quite a big difference in both numbers. I am planning on test driving the vehicle tomorrow at a different dealership and seeing what they can do. If they won't match the numbers then I'm off to Dealer #1 to make the purchase/lease.
    Hi rudi2. Let's work up a lease payment on this car and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sedan that has an MSRP of $23,000 and a selling price of $20,000 through Subaru Finance right now for 48 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $222.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • scoobysubiscoobysubi Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!

First let me say what a great resource this board and site are! I'm looking to lease my first car and this site has been invaluable in teaching me the benefits of leasing a Legacy.

I'm currently looking at a:
    2008 Subaru Legacy GT
    -Auto Trans
    -Spoiler
    -XM Radio
    -Armrest extenders
    -Splash Guards, etc (Only thing the dealership has so I'll deal with it)

I was quoted a "sticker price" of ~$31k from Doug Smith Subaru in American Fork, UT from Dempfey Bowling.

For a 36month/15k lease the numbers were:
    Residual: 54%
    Money Factor: .00260

For a 36month/12k lease:
    Residual: 55%
    Money Factor: .00260

We've got about 10k to throw down, but ideally we want to throw down 4k at signing and then try to keep the monthly payments including tax below $400 (allowing our first 15 months to be "paid for" with the remaining 6k, while building up for the remaining 21 months)

Is this a good deal? I don't really have my heart set on this car, really I'd be happy with a 2.5i Limited Edition as the major factors in getting a car are that it have: AWD, Leather, and be Automatic Transmission. For me a lease is ideal just because I live in Hawaii but will be attending school on the mainland for at least the next 3 years, but I have no idea if Ill be returning to the island or sticking on the mainland (and shipping a car here is a pain!)

Thanks for your time!
    :)
    Aloha scoobysubi. I'm glad that you enjoy these discussions so much. I see that you are considering making a very large down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers not to make any sort of capitalized cost reduction on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

In your post you mentioned that this car has a sticker price of around $31,000, but you never mentioned its selling price. Remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash or financing. Make sure that you are being given a discount on this car. You should stop by the "Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar vehicles lately.

Subaru's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Legacy GT Sedan Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00240 and 54%, respectively.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • backcourtbackcourt Member Posts: 9
    can you tell me the money factor and resid% on a 36 and 39 month lease, 15K/year, for Sept.

Thanks
  • subaru25subaru25 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me the current (Sept) Money Factor and residual on a 2008 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition (auto) 24 Months, 12k miles?

Central New York area...

Thanks in Advance!!
    Great Forum!
  • disney2disney2 Member Posts: 25
    looking for the money factor and residual on 2008 Legacy 2.5i limited for Oct in New Jersey. Thanks.
    legacy 2.5i limited. msrp 25240. price 22300. 36 mo. 10 k miles. 350/mo tax included. pay 1140 (1st mo, mv, doc fee, destination?) to drive off. New Jersey Thanks.
    Legacy 2.5i limited another offer: msrp 24940, price 23075
    24 mon lease 10k miles, 339.5 with tax in payment. Total out of pocket 1189 includes first month, mv, doc fee, etc? New Jersey

Am I the only one checking this forum or is nobody else buying this car?

Thanks.
  • newsuvbuyernewsuvbuyer Member Posts: 12
    I just got a 2008 Legacy 2.5i LTD with VDC for $268.80/month. 24 months, 10k per year. Total out of pocket of approx $1,500 (1st month payment, tax, title and bank fee). Did I get a good deal?
    newsuvbuyer--where are you located? Can you please tell me the msrp and the selling price? Your price is sooo much lower than mine! Thanks
  • newsuvbuyernewsuvbuyer Member Posts: 12
    Westchester county NY. Dealer was in Rockland County NY. The msrp was $25281 and selling price was $23,375. Cap cost was the $1,000 rebate currently being offered. Residual was 72% and money factor was .00234.
    Hi backcourt. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0 Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00240 and 53%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00245 and 51%. When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $750 cash incentive that is available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.