Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here you go, Peter. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited with Navigation ans 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 52%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 1% higher. When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that Subaru is currently providing on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Congratulations on getting your new Impreza, 28firefighter. I tell ya, the Legacy is a heck of a car for less than two hundred bucks per month. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. If you'd like, you can also hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience there as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • mtylermtyler Member Posts: 8
    Hello Carman,

Please advise on current money factor and residual for 09 Subaru Legacy SE for 24 months 10K miles year. Any incentives? Also received a quote for $19,672 from a Seattle dealership for above with automatic. Does that price seem reasonable? Thanks for your help

Michelle
  • DO5GUDO5GU Member Posts: 1
    Hi felllas,

I saw this in the newspaper in the Miami area BIRD ROAD . Can you please help me out and give me useful insight . Im on my last semester of college and looking for a good lease . thanks

$239 Per MO. LEASE/ 24 MONTHS

$665 DOWN PAYMENT
    $0 SECURITY DEPOSIT
    $595 ACQUISITION FEE
    $239 1ST MONTH LEASE PAYMENT
    --------------------------------------------------------
    $1199 TOTAL DUE AT LEASE SIGNING

(-170 hp boxer engine)
  • cheveganchevegan Member Posts: 2
    not that good of a deal. I just picked up 2 legacy SE's one for myself and one for my friend same deal different downs.
    Mine was
    Down - out the door: 2k
    monthly: $139+tax

Friend had less to put down but
    Out the door: $695
    monthly: $199
    both leases are for 24 months
    Sierra Subaru in SoCal for all you who live near by
    Saleslady: Amber (she kicks [non-permissible content removed])
    tell her your "favorite couple sent me" she'll know which deal it is. They have 2 black and 1 dark silver gray coming in the next couple days and the have a silver in stock last I checked.
  • hellagranthellagrant Member Posts: 31
    Wow. Some really good lease deals out there still. They must be hurting for business.

The Legacy is a great car, especially since it is winter right now.
  • jbone108jbone108 Member Posts: 11
    Please post more details.

MSRP.
    Sale price.
    Miles per year.
    Please advise on current money factor and residual for 09 Subaru Legacy SE for 24 months 10K miles year.

Thanks
  • cheveganchevegan Member Posts: 2
    MSRP can't remember. Only option was the homelink mirror with auto dim

total cap cost $20,500
    10k per year
    Hi mtyler. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5 SE with 10,000 miles per year are .00210 and 62%, respectively. Subaru is currently providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of this model.

I provided you with the 36 month numbers for this car instead of the 24 month numbers because Subaru is not currently providing support on two year leases. As a result, its money factors for that term are much higher.

It is difficult for me to give you my opinion of this deal without knowing either this car's MSRP or dealer invoice price. You can look up those numbers over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. If I was personally in the market for an '09 Legacy right now, I would shoot for a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice minus the $500.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jbone108. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5 SE with 10,000 miles per year are .00210 and 62%, respectively. Subaru is currently providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of this model.

I provided you with the 36 month numbers for this car instead of the 24 month numbers because Subaru is not currently providing support on two year leases. As a result, its money factors for that term are much higher.

If I was personally in the market for an '09 Legacy right now, I would shoot for a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice minus the $500. You can look up those numbers over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • cdnj1cdnj1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Carman,

What do you mean by Subaru isn't supporting 24 month leases?

I was working with a dealer on a 36/36 (see above posts) and another dealer quoted me as follows on a 24/24:

MSRP..............................................................$22,990.00
    Capcost (Selling Price)....................................$20,825.00
    Tax...........................................................................40- 5.73
    Residual.......................................................................7- 3%
    Buy Out...............................................................18,060.20
    Doc Fees...................................................................150.00
    NJ Tire Tax...................................................................7.50
    Motor Vehicle Fees.................................................138.00

24 month lease (better program from Subaru...sign and drive 1st. payment waived). Payment for 24 months at 12,000 miles a year is $248.30 with only a total cash out of pocket of $295.50.

Is this a dealer specific incentive? I've been advised the deal is good through 1/5.

Love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks.
    I'm dealing with a dealer offering about the same deal.
    24/20
    $0 out of pocket at signing
    23 payments of $238. Msrp of $23500.

All in all I know I have gone about the deal the wrong way. I've been more focused on payments and $0 out of pocket then acautly what they are selling the car for. But since i have no intentions buying the car when the lease is up and its costing me less then $10 a month. I don't see wheres its a big deal
    im with you jbone...

id been working numbers (using my logic anyway) toward a 36/36 @ ~$290/mo w/ ~$1300 at signing...and I felt pretty good about that deal, honestly...

id originally intended to just go to another (closer) dealer for a test drive and this 24/24 deal fell into my lap (and defying the logic of the original deal)...

like you, with no intention to buy at and of lease, the #s work in my favor @ $50 less/mo and $1k less at signing...seems a solid deal.
    Which dealer are you working with in NJ?

Thanks,
    Michelle
    hi michelle - nitti subaru in hamilton sq for 24/24 and town motors in englewood for 36/36.
  • Naren8Naren8 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    Looks like there are some good deals out there, but in the twin cities this is the best I've found. Think I mught oull the trigger on it. What do y'all think?

Legacy 09 SE automatic
    - $21149
    - $1400 down at signing (includes ttl & dealer fee) & $208/month
    - 10,000 miles
    - free oil changes and car washes through the life of the lease
  • Naren8Naren8 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    Looks like there are some good deals out there, but in the twin cities this is the best I've found. Think I might pull the trigger on it. What do y'all think?

Legacy 09 SE automatic
    - $21149
    - $1400 down at signing (includes ttl & dealer fee) & $208/month
    - 10,000 miles
    - free oil changes and car washes through the life of the lease
    2009 Legacy SE Auto

MSRP 22990

+ Foglights

$239 Tax included $0 down 24 months 24 K

1st payment on dealer /Free maintenance for lease term

Thanks to the board for the info

Michelle
    Very good deal. IMO
    Cdnj1, its money factors for 24 month leases are significantly higher than its factors for 36 month leases. To illustrate, its current buy rate lease money factor on the '09 Legacy SE Sedan is .00250 for 24 month terms but only .00170 for 36 month leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Car Man,

WHat are the current residuals/money factors for the 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i models? I'm looking at 10,000 miles per year. Are the numbers different per trim level? (Special Edition, Limited). Thanks again.
    Hey djhalptert. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Legacy 2.5i Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00160 and 56%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks CarMan, but are the numbers different per trim level? Is there a different money factor/resiudal for the Premium, Limited trims?
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    I'm interested in the current numbers for a 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium and Limited trims. 24 and 36 month lease, 10,000 miles per year. Thanks.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Actually Car Man you are wrong on the 24 month leases. Yes, the money factors are way higher, but so are the residuals. I was quoted on both a 24 and 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy Special Edition and the payment on a 24 month lease was only $3 higher per month. Not exactly significant. I believe the residual I was quoted on the 24 month lease was 77%.
  • m4rketsensem4rketsense Member Posts: 2
    I got almost the exact same deal here in Detroit just after Christmas - but with 10k per year.

2009 Legacy SE Auto
    Armrest extension
    Wheel locks
    Compass mirror
    All weather mats

$239/mo. 24/20k
    $0 out of pocket/23 payments remaining. I didn't even have to bring out my checkbook.

Like another comment on this board that I saw, I didn't necessarily negotiate the deal as recommended by the experts. It started out that way, but ended up at a payment discussion, because that's really how I was shopping. I had gone to a couple of dealers, so I had a sense of what was out there from a lease standpoint. As I look back at the transaction, I may have been able to hammer another $10/month off of the price, but I did all this in one afternoon/evening as I was headed out of town the next day. Overall, I think it's a decent deal, and the dealer was good to work with. There was no other mid-size car (Malibu, Mazda6, Fusion, etc.) in my market that offered this combination of content, short lease term, and low payment. Certainly, part of the attractive lease price comes from the high residuals on the car. After the purchase, I did some more research on Subaru resale values, and I was surprised to see how much they retained..given that Subaru is not a high-volume Japanese brand like Honda and Toyota.

I also got a "free" maintenance agreement, however, I didn't know I was getting it at the time of the deal. A few days ago, I received the agreement in the mail from Subaru for 2 years/24k. This is an issue I need to follow-up with the dealer on to make sure there's nothing fishy is going on.

Mini vehicle review:
    This is my first Subaru and so far, I'm pretty happy with it -- especially with the terrible weather we've had here (in Detroit). I usually go for the higher performance versions of any car I've purchased, but over time I've realized that the extra performance is more of a mental thing than a useful thing. That said, I think the car performs pretty well, given the extra weight of the AWD. While the interior is on the small side of the competitive set, the power to weight ratio compares well against cars like the new Mazda6. Passengers (my kids, mostly) have commented on how "smooth" the ride feels - and I'm coming out of a MB E350 that the lease was up on. There is definitely a different feel to the handling and I attribute this to both the AWD and the balance/low center of gravity allowed by the arrangement of the boxer engine. I'll be heading the Detroit Auto Show next week, so I'll get a chance to see what the new Legacy has in store. Maybe my next vehicle will be a Legacy, too?
  • ahqahq Member Posts: 37
    Congrats on your Legacy. I leased my '09 2.5i SE Automatic with the auto-dimming mirror for about $230 per month (plus tax), sign 'n drive, two years and 24K miles.

I noticed that you're in the Detroit area... you might not be able to answer this question right away, since you've only had your car for a few weeks, but I'm wondering how you feel your car handles the weathered roads of southeastern Michigan.

I live in southeastern Wisconsin and the past two winters have resulted in significantly deteriorated roads. I love the look of the Legacy's 17" wheels and low-profile tires, but I wonder if 16" wheels with slightly taller tires would've helped the Legacy better handle and absorb the ruts and bumps in the roads. The ride is quite wonderful under other circumstances, but I'm finding that I wouldn't want to put up with a flinty ride for more than 24 months.

On the other hand, the Legacy is a heck of a 4-door snowmobile, so I guess you can't have it all! Thus far, I'm quite happy with its strengths and compromises.
  • stevernstevern Member Posts: 41
    Hi Car_Man,

Can you please give the current numbers on a Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited for 36 months and 12k miles/year? Do the numbers differ for the different trim levels? Is there any dealer cash to take advantage of?

Many thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Yes, djhalptert, Subaru's lease program does indeed vary by trim level. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00140 and 57%.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, stoopy. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited with 10,000 miles per year are .00140 and 57%, respectively. I believe that the numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a Legacy 2.5i Premium are .00165 and 56%.

You definitely do not want to lease these cars for 24 months. Subaru's money factors for two year leases of it are double its 3 year factors.

When negotiating your lease on the Legacy that you want, make sure to take the $500 cash incentive that Subaru is currently providing on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi chuck68516. Good point about the residual values for two year leases. The money factors are much worse, but the residual values are solid. Subaru's current residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 Legacy Special Edition Sedan is 70% with 15,000 miles per year and 1% higher with 12k.

The difference between the 2 and 3 year money factors for the Special Edition model is less than it is for other Legacy models though. On the SE, you're talking about .00250 versus .00170 and on say a base Legacy the difference is .00280 versus .00165.

Looking at the program for the Legacy SE, I get a rough estimate in my head of $30 to $40 more per month for a 36 month leases versus a 24 month lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, Steve. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00140 and 56%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, don't forget about the $500 cash incentive.

Car_man
    Host
  • skiphreakskiphreak Member Posts: 1
    does anyone how long this has been going on and when it will end? Just wondering if they will raise or end incentives. And does anyone know if the residuals and money factor change resulting in great lease ending? So i know to run out and get one before this happens.
    thanks
  • lucy17lucy17 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,
    Can you tell me the money factor, residual and downpayment that should be available for a 2009 Legacy Special Edition automatic with a MSRP of $22,700?

I've had trouble finding details about Subaru lease offers online (compared to Honda and Nissan and other manufacturers). Subaru finally posted information but it specifies "For OREGON residents only". Does that mean the deal is only offered in Oregon? Or is Subaru complying with Oregon law? I assumed it was the latter and expected a similar offer. However, the dealer quoted me $281 a month instead of $215 -- even though the MSRP of the car in question was just $800 more than the MSRP in the Subaru Web example. I was told this was because the Web deal only applied to manual cars. Is that typical to have a lease offer that is limited to a manual car only -- even with the prices are just hundreds apart?

Thank you.
    The residual and money factor are numbers you should ask for. Not the down payment. ??? You need to ask your dealer to let you know what your sale price is on the car (cap cost) then ask what the fees are. There will be a residual and probably a document fee. When added to the sale price (cap cost) it makes the NET CAP COST. If you have this and the MSRP and the residual and money factor you can calculate the lease payment. Don't put money down on a lease. If the car is totalled or stolen you would be out the down payment. Sign and drive is the only way to go. Also, don't read too much into the advertised leases. They are just bait tactics. Concentrate ONLY on the sale price, fees and residual, money factor. That is what will get your payment to $215 with ZERO down.
  • jamabbojamabbo Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.
    First of all god bless the internet.

I have never leased a car before and I know Subaru is offering the SE for 225 a month. I am more interested in the limited for the fact it has leather and heated seats for the cold weather here in South Bend Indiana.

My question is what should I be looking for in a good lease, and how I should go about making a deal with the dealership. I really hate to go into this not knowing anything about leases so any help would be great.

Also could you explain what the residual and money factor numbers are and how I should go about calculating that.

Thanks again for your time and I look forward to some great new information.

James
  • nanny5nanny5 Member Posts: 10
    Hi i leased a automatic legacy SE sedan today the Current Money Factor is now 0.0013 and the residual is 57% for a 36 month 12k and 56% for a 15k lease
    there is $1000 lease cash available the acquisition fee is $595 The way the residual is calculated is as follows for example the MSRP is listed at 22990 (Pez low emmissions) the SE model has a $2000 plus package less $1750 package discount (crazy). the residual is being calculated at 56% of the inflated MSRP ie 24,740 MY residual was 13854.40 ( 15 k miles) total lease payments of 249.77 month( this payment includes 9% sales tax that is charge by the state i live in PA) I paid $457 up front ( 1st payment plus licence fees tags doc fee etc)
    total cap cost 20496 ( 595 acquisition rolled in )
    Hi skiphreak. Subaru's incentives are usually only scheduled to run for a month at a time. That does not necessarily mean that the following month's program will be different, just that it has the option to change it if it wants to. Subaru's February and March lease programs for the '09 Legacy are very similar. It is difficult to say what its April program will be like at this point.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi lucy17. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Legacy 2.5 Sedan Special Edition with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 56%, respectively.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

I'm not sure what the whole "Oregon residents only" disclaimer that you saw is all about. The above lease program is national. It should be the same regardless of what state you are in.

Manufacturers often advertise lease payments on stripped vehicles. The lower the MSRP and selling price of a vehicle are, the lower and in turn more attractive its monthly payment will look. Consumers who add the equipment that they want frequently find that their vehicle is more expensive to lease than the one that is being touted in ads.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome James. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around and negotiate the lowest possible selling price on the model that you want. Once you have arrived at a selling price that you are comfortable with, have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using that vehicle's buy rate lease money factor.

Check out the articles that I linked above and let us know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • z2adambombz2adambomb Member Posts: 18
    Hey carman,
    do you have the MF and residual values for an 09 Legacy GT, 5spd with no other options, 36mo, 12k mi/yr? Thanks!
    I got quotes on two legacy models last night and figured I'd share the numbers
    Both are 36mo 12k mi/year

Legacy GT: 0.00200 MF, 49% residual

Legacy 2.5 SE: 0.00180 MF, 56% residual. $1800 at signing (all taxes and fees included) $220/mo. this was before any negotiations what so ever, their first offer follow test drive. MSRP $23540, Buy price $20790. The deal factors in a $1500 rebate from Subaru.
    I will post another update once April numbers are out and I bargain it down a bit. Too bad the LGT has an MSRP of $30k, they need to make a non-limited Legacy GT available!
  • asa114asa114 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Nanny 5,

Thats a great deal. I am looking for the same deal with $15K miles.
    Could you tell me what dealer or sales person in PA?

Thanks,
    Ed
  • asa114asa114 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Adam,

I am interested in this deal on an SE as well.
    What dealer did you get this offer from?
    Maybe we could both get a better deal if we went to the same salesman.

Thanks,

Ed
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Residual seems low on that GT, interesting.

Some Foresters hold 60% of their value.
  • joymomjoymom Member Posts: 5
    I am new to leasing and I am confused a bit by all the ratios noted on leasing.

Basically, I like to lease the noted car for 3 years, 12,000 miles year, and I have a trade in worth roughly 6,200. Can someone please advise the monthly payments.

Drove the car-- liked it, dealer offered me monthly payments at $279.00 with my car yesterday.

Thank you
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    If your trade in is actually worth $6,200 please tell me you did not go through with this deal.

Never put money down on a lease. This includes trading in your car. It defeats the entire principle of leasing. Also if you put down $6,200 cash or trade on a lease and your new leased vehicle is broadsided and totalled by a garbage truck pulling out of the dealership, you are out $6,200. Insurance company WON'T reimburse you. Likewise if your car is stolen you will not be refunded. Sell your car privately or ask the dealer to give you cash for it. Some will do it. Some will not.

Secondly, you should be able to get a 2009 Legacy Limited for $325 a month putting down ZERO. Putting down/trading in $6,200 would yield a payment of $145 a month. So your $279 quote is ridiculously high.

Thirdly, you could trade in your car to the dealer and BUY a Legacy Limited for around $17,000 and finance through Subaru at 2.9% for 60 months for a payment of about $305.

Personally, I would probably sell my car privately, keep the $6,200 in the bank and lease for $325 a month putting zero down.
    Hey Ed,
    that deal was at Performance Subaru of Chapel Hill, NC. I should also note that no negotiations were done, I simply was checking price ranges. I think with some simple negotiations you could get that price down to 200/mo with the same lease parameters. I was specifically looking at manual legacy's, so they may have been more motivated to get that off their lot since they're not as popular.
    You should easily be able to get a Legacy Special Edition for $220 with zero down. Putting down $1,800 your payment would be around $175 I'm guessing.

Residual on automatic w/ 12,000 miles is 57%.
This discussion has been closed.