Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Lease Questions

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    But if you just turn in the car and walk away rather than buy, being 'closer to market value' at the end of the lease is irrelevant, no?

I agree, it is completely irrelevant. The catch is your lease must be structured right on the money with the mileage and you have to be able to "defend" the car well over the course of the lease. If you do that, overinflated residual is only helpful. You bascially rent it for loess than your lessor is paying in depreciation.

However, if you don't (defend the car or have the right mileage), the low payment will bite you right in the rear with no way around ;) . Just read some post of desperate people with 20K overmileage and having to pay 20K*0.2=4 grand in mileage fees or buy their used car for some exorbitant amount then you get an idea...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• outbackeroutbacker Member Posts: 3
    I just started the lease of an '08 Outback 2.5i Ltd LLBean with Nav for $368/mo, 0 down, 36mos, and 12000m/yr. Any idea if it's a good deal?
  • compukelcompukel Member Posts: 2
    2008 Outback 2.5i Limited, Black, Tint windows, AW Floor mats, lease for 384/36 mths, 15K a year, $16,450 residual-Good deal?

NY state - Ulster County. 36/mnth, 15k miles, $16,450 residual, $384 a month.

Looking to verify it's a good deal?
  • socalh2oskiersocalh2oskier Member Posts: 8
    FYI re recent lease. I just leased a 2008 Outback 2.5XT with NAV. 15k miles per year--36 month lease--selling price of $31,550--$7k drive off with lease payments of $310 per month, including tax and license ($286 per month before tax and license)--52.8% residual on MSRP of $35,314. Money factor is .0015. I did the large down b/c I wanted the monthly cash flow to stay low--not recommended in most instances, but works nicely for me. Great car. Realistic residual amounts to slightly higher payment when compared to other comparably priced car I was considering--Infiniti G35--but the Outback offers great reliability and versatility. The Outback will be even more desirable when we get the diesel with 40-50 mpg.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Congratulations on getting your new Outback, socalh2oskier. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Don't forget to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • lbh2315lbh2315 Member Posts: 6
    2008 Outback Basic
    Auto
    Cargo Net
    Hatch Cover
    Armrest Extender
    Quartz Silver

MSRP - $23,885
    Purchase Price = $20,600
    Cap Cost Reduction = $1,500
    36 mos
    12K/year
    MF = .00140
    Residual = 54%
    Payment of $238/mo. (includes tax)

This was one of the first times I left a dealer thinking I actually got a really good deal. So now I look to the heavens and ask....did I really??!! I have three days to take it back, so if any of you could chime in and let me know it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Three days to take it back?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 1985mb1985mb Member Posts: 60
    Anyone getting/seeing good deals on Outbacks lately?
  • hdutyhduty Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Does anyone know the current residual values for 2008 vs 2009 outback. Are the residual percentages going to make a lease for a 2008 or 2009 more attactive?

I'd like to know what they are for 2.5i, Limited and XT.

Additionally, does anyone know the current money factors being offered?

I should mention that I'm looking in Vermont.

Thanks,
    HD
    Here's the information that you're looking for, hduty. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i with 15,000 miles per year are .00100 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Outback Wagon Limited are .00105 and 53%. The '08 Outback Wagon XT numbers are .00120 and 50%.

On the 2009 model, the 2.5i numbers are .00220 / 57%, the Limited numbers are .00220 / 56%, and the XT numbers are .00220 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
  • storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28
    I was originally looking for a used 06 or 07 XT outback and the wife was wondering about leasing a new one for 3 yrs. Im shocked how different the XT residual is compared to the normal 2.5i or limited. I assume their is a thread here about that and why its so different?
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    It has to do with both real values (after 3 years) and level of support by the mfr. XT is a low-demand AND low-supply model, which means they sell them only to those who really want them and there is not much demand for it on the used car market (high price, low gas mileage, etc.), which pushes residuals down vs. popular 2.5i. I'm not blaming Subaru for not wanting to support them as much as 2.5i. Keep in mind that even the same percentage translates to more money, as XT is significantly more expensive.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• robertwagnerrobertwagner Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am getting ready to finalize a lease on a 2009 Outback 2.5 Limited. The terms of the lease are as follows:

1. 36 month
    2. 10K miles per year
    3. Total of $1000.00 out of pocket including tax, tags, etc...
    4. Monthly payment including tax is $361.00 per month

Am I getting a good deal? They say I am getting the car for $26,000.00

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • brnhrntbrnhrnt Member Posts: 5
    Car Man,

I was wondering if you had current figures for MF/RV for the above models?

Thank you in advance!

BrnHrnt
    Car Man,

I'm sorry, I probably should give you some more info. I'm in the Tri-State area so I have access to Subaru of New England and NY/NJ rates. Also, do you have any idea about dealer incentives currently? I can pull the trigger now on the right deal but I'll wait if it looks like better deals coming down the pipe.

Let it snow!!!

BrnHrnt
    CM,

Last info. I'm looking @ 10,000 mile leases. (Don't use it to commute)

BrnHrnt
    I sure do, brnhrnt. According to the latest information that I have seen, Subaru's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Outback 2.5 XT without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00120 and 48%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 model are .00200 and 54%, respectively.

The numbers for the Outback 3.0R are .00120 / 52% on the 2008 model and .00200 / 55% on the 2009 model.

When negotiating your lease on these cars, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 lease cash that is available on the 2008 model and $500 that is available on the 2009 model.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_Man! Do you think there's any benefit to waiting for 11/3 (current incentives expire)? The economy's not looking too hot. Do you think they'll dangle a bigger carrot? How much below invoice do you think '08's should trade for at this point?

BrnHrnt
    You're very welcome, BrnHrnt. It is always difficult to say what manufacturers' future incentives programs will look like. If you want to lease a 2008 model, the current program might be as good as it is going to get. At some point late in the model year manufacturers usually pull the plug on their lease support for leftover vehicles as it becomes too expensive to provide reasonable payments on them. If you want an '09 model on the other hand, there is a very good chance that the lease program will get better. Again though, it is always difficult to predict exactly what will happen with 100% accuracy.

Car_man
    Host
    Sound advice! Thanks again. I will post the details if I close a deal.

BrnHrnt
    Thanks and you're very welcome, brnhrnt. I look forward to hearing how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • ts0673ts0673 Member Posts: 17
    Car Man,

Wondering if you have the latest (valid through Dec 1) RV/MF for a 36mo lease, 12K/year on the following:

2009 Outback 2.5i Limited w/o nav
    2008 Outback 3.0R w/o nav and w/nav

I live in the Southeast (27608)

Thanks!
  • dtmcgarrydtmcgarry Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I was quoted $25,595 for an 09 Outback 2.5i Limited (Quartz Silver) by a local dealer. I think that's probably an alright price, though I imagine it could get a little better, if fitzmall.com is to be believed!

BUT I'm not yet sure if I want to buy or lease.

What are the MF/residuals for this car at 3 years /60k miles or 2 years /40k miles. I know those are high mileage totals for a lease, but I thought I'd check anyway.

Thanks!
  • peiboypeiboy Member Posts: 6
    Carman, can you give me a good monthly payment for the following:

2009 outback 3.0R
    w/o nav
    15,000 miles per year
    36 month term (I would prefer 24 but my dealer, Massachusetts, informed me today that the 36 month was a much better program right now on the 3.0R)
    Zero cap cost reduction

Thanks.

John
    Boston
    Here you go, ts0673. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited without navigation with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 57%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Outback 3.0R are .00300 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dtmcgarry. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 24 month lease are .00280 and 63%.

15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that Subaru leases vehicles with. If you need to drive more than this, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi John . I would be happy to to work up a lease on the car that you are interested in for you, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP and approximate selling price. Let me know and I'll crunch some numbers.

Car_man
    Host
    thanks again Car_man
    You're very welcome, dtmcgarry.

Car_man
    Host
  • jacknsajacknsa Member Posts: 1
    MSRP comes to $35,340 dealer quoted $31,900. Good deal?

Some confusion about homelink option. Subaru site (and edmunds) lists it at $75 but dealer says its more (I forgot price but something over $150). Can you help me reconcile this detail?

Also he quoted a 36 month lease of $549 ( 10,000 miles, includes NY taxes - 8.375). That seems high. What are current factor, residual for that car?

TIA

Jack
    Hi Jack. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 3.0R with Navigation and 10,000 miles per year are .00200 and 56%, respectively.

The Outback that you are interested in probably has a spread of around $2,300 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to this $1,500 customer cash and you have a total of around $3,800 to play with in your negotiations. That puts the $3,340 discount that you were quoted at around $500 or so over invoice, give or take a couple of bucks. That is a good selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    I ended up purchasing, for $24,500 (inc. dest, not inc. tax). With a little more patience, I think I could have chopped a bit more off the price, too.

I'm happy with it, it's a great car so far!
  • ttg911ttg911 Member Posts: 45
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the new (December 2nd to EOY) lease money factor and residual values for a 24/36 month lease w/o Navi and 15,000 miles per year are?

Thanks.
    Congrats on your new Outback, dtmcgarry. Thanks for taking the time to stop back and let us all know how everything turned out. If you'd like, you can hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience there as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ttg911. I've seen Subaru's new lease program and I'd be happy to help you out, Its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 Outback Limited without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00280 and 63%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are a much more palatable .00190 and 56%.

When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $1,500 cash incentive that Subaru is providing on it into account. You should easily be able to get it for under dealer invoice after taking this cash into account.

Car_man
    Host
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Car_Man,

What are the current numbers for a 2009 Outback 2.5i base, Special Edition, Limited trims on a 36 month, 10,000 mile per year lease? Are the numbers different per trim level on the 2.5i? Thanks.
    Hey djhalptert. Subaru's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a base 2009 Outback 2.5i with 10,000 miles per year are .00170 and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Outback 2.5i Limited are .00170 and 57%.

When negotiating your lease on this model, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 cash incentive that Subaru is providing on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • billyk1billyk1 Member Posts: 16
    Hey Car Man, fellow subie owners. I have a balloon payment option coming up in mid February for 15800 on a 05 LLBean. The rep at Subaru financial told me that they do not make deals at all on balloon payments. They would rather send it to auction. Does anyone know this to be true. Car is fantastic, only 39k miles. I'm seeing a lot of outbacks on return at the dealerships (my dealer has 20) and with the new model coming out later this year, I feel like the bottom is going to drop out of this car (value wise) rather quickly. Any guidance or perspective would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi billyk1. More often than not banks will not negotiate the end of term purchase prices of vehicles. Having said this, if you really want to buy your leased or balloon-noted (is that a word :confuse: ) vehicle, you should always try to negotiate its price. You don't have anything to lose by trying.

Don't even bother to involve the dealer. Place a call directly to the bank that you are leasing or balloon-noting your vehicle through (with a Subaru, this is most likely Chase) and see if they are willing to work with you. Again, most likely they won't, but its worth a shot. If your initial contact there is unwilling to negotiate, try working your way up the ladder to some sort of manager. People occasionally have better luck there.

Good luck and make sure to stop back and let us all know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • SubaruMASubaruMA Member Posts: 1
    Can you please let me know if the following Subaru Lease Incentive is a good deal on a 2009 Outback XT Automatic without Nav?

$399 Monthly for 39 months with 10K miles per year. Out of pocket is:

$999 Down
    $595 acquistion fee
    $296 registration
    $86 tags

Total of $1,976 not including 5 % MA sales tax.

Thank you in advance
  • ts0673ts0673 Member Posts: 17
    Car Man,

Hoping you can help - I am looking for the current (March 2009) Residual Value and Money Factor figures that Subaru NA is offering for the following:

Term: 36 months
    Mileage: 12K/year

Looking for figures on both the '09 Outback 2.5i Special Edition and the '09 Outback 2.5i Limited.

For reference, I am in the Southeast (27608)

Many thanks!
  • lagsunlagsun Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for the exact same info so any help would be appreciated. I'm in the SF Bay Area.
  • liz15liz15 Member Posts: 24
    I'm just ending a 24 month lease with a Legacy Limited. The dealer offered me the same car with a 36 month 12K lease at $331 with $2,000 down. When I told him that that seemed high and asked for another 24 month lease he offered me the Legacy SE for 24 months 12K at $265 with $2,000 down. He said the lease is actually $215 but he will put in the leather and heated seats that I would receive with the Limited. Is this a fair offer?

Also, I am about 4,000 miles under on the car I'm turning in. If I decide to not lease another Subaru will they still charge me the disposition fee of $300.
    Car Man,

How is this 3 year/12K miles per year lease offer I was emailed by a dealer in the SF Bay Area:

Outback 2.5i Limited with optional armrest, and autodimming mirror/Homelink:

Msrp: $29,613.
    Selling price: $24,605.
    Moneyfactor: 0.0015
    Residual is 55%
    Payment: $341 month including tax (assuming tax rate is 8.25%).
    Drive off: $654

Can I do better?

Thanks.
    I just got an even better offer closer to my home:

Msrp: $29,693.
    Selling price: $24,405.
    Residual is 55%
    Payment 328.64, including tax
    Drive off $0

Does this sound right?
  • liz15liz15 Member Posts: 24
    I'm hoping someone can help me with the money factor and other info needed to determine the lease price on the 2.5i limited. The dealer will not give me a straight answer when I ask him.

My current Subaru lease will be up soon and I'm trying to decide to lease the above car or an Acura TSX. The Acura does not have AWD which is the only reason I'm thinking about staying with Subaru.

Also, this is not a lease question but I was wondering if the 2009 Legacy is a smoother driving car then the 2007. I feel every bump in the road with the 2007.
  • carnut44carnut44 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently negotiating with a local dealer in Bucks County, PA on a 2009 2.5i Limited. So far I have a deal on the the table of 1500 down, 15k mileage, for 350.00/mo. for 36 months. where was your deal of 328.64 and was it for 15k mileage?

Thanks
    I leased the car this Saturday in the San Francisco Bay Area. This is my deal:

Outback 2.5i Limited with optional armrest, mats, and auto dimming mirror/Homelink:

3 years/12K miles
    Msrp: $29,693
    Selling price: $24,405.
    Residual is 55%
    Payment 328.64, including tax
    Drive off $0

I think the dealer used the Subaru $2500 rebate to get to my selling price and I made sure all taxes and fees were wrapped into the lease. I didn't have to pay anything to dive off. Good luck.
  • valuehunter1valuehunter1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_Man,

I wanted to know if these numbers made sense to you and if it is a good deal? I am looking at a 36 month, 12k miles per year. This invoice includes $2,000 in customer cash rebates. Should I put down any money? Can you provide an estimate of my monthly payments? Thank you so much,

MSRP: $31,613
    Negotiated Sales Price: $26,300
    Money Factor: .0020
    Residual Value: 53%
    I'd be happy to help you out, ts0673. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00150 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for a base 2.5i Outback Wagon are .00175 and 54%.

When negotiating your lease on the Outback that you're interested in, make sure to take the $2,000 cash incentive that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.