Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi liz15. You definitely don't want to lease any Subaru for 24 months right now. Subaru has pulled the plug on its support for two year leases. Its 36 month program is much more attractive.

Unfortunately, the fact that you are under your mileage allowance probably will not enable you to have your vehicle's dispo fee waived if you decide not to lease another Subie.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hey lagsun. The money factor that you were quoted for this vehicle is right in line with Subaru's current buy rate for it. That is a good thing.

Now let's look at the selling price that you were quoted. The Outback that you are interested in probably has a spread of around $2,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to that the $2,000 cash incentive that is currently available on it and you have around $4,000 to play with during your negotiations. The $5,000 discount that you were quoted looks like an excellent deal to me.

If you like the vehicle, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello liz15. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5 Limited Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00150 and 54%, respectively. I had to make some assumptions on the term and mileage allowance that you are interested in. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi valuehunter1. The two most important factors on this lease, the selling price and money factor, look great. If you like the Outback, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Let's work up a payment for you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2009 Outback Limited with Navigation that has an MSRP of $31,613 and a selling price of $26,300 right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $352.

Car_man
    Host
  • valuehunter1valuehunter1 Member Posts: 7
    Dear Car_Man,

Thank you so much for your response. Your advice is golden. My question is regarding customer cash rebates vs. dealer cash. I caught the dealer in a lie trying to tell me there were no customer cash rebates. He then apologized and said that he thought it was dealer cash which would have benefitted more since it is not taxed. Is this true? Thank you!
  • mapleflmaplefl Member Posts: 10
    This forum was a tremendous help in researching and leasing my new car. The numbers for my 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited in black with a 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year are below. This was the best deal I found in the Southeast after negotiating with several dealers and the deal was all done via email with follow-up calls at the end:

MSRP: $29,412
    Invoice: $27,401
    Sale Price: $24,901(including $2000 cash incentive)
    Total Cap Cost (including doc fee, title, license, and bank lease fee): $26,073
    Residual: 55%
    Money Factor: .00150
    Monthly Lease: $338 ($362 with tax)
    Only 1st month's lease payment up front ($362) for drive away.
  • gmududegmudude Member Posts: 2
    @Car_man hoping I can trouble you with a few quick questions:

I'm looking to lease something for 3 years/45k miles (15k/year). If you could share the April 2009 buy-rate residual and money factor for:

2009 Outback (9DH) Limited w/ Nav
    2009 Outback Turbo (9DK) Limited w/ Nav
    2009 Forester (9FJ) Limited w/ Nav
    2009 Forester Turbo (9FO) Limited w/ Nav

Also curious: I had a 2004 WRX, was a 3 yr/45k balloon, and I turned it in 2007. I don't suppose I qualify for owner loyalty?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
    You're very welcome, valuehunter1. Subaru is currently providing a $2,000 cash incentive on the 2008 Outback. The rules for calculating sales tax vary from state to state, but generally speaking it is true that consumers are charged sales tax on consumer cash incentives but not dealer cash. Dealer cash is looked at a dealer price adjustment rather than an award to the consumer.

Car_man
    Host
    Congratulations on getting your new Outback, maplefl. I'm glad that you found this discussion so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to give back and share the details of your deal with everyone. If you'd like, you can also hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, gmudude.

Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback Limited with Navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00200 and 52%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Outback XT Limited with Navigation are .00210 and 50%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Forester Limited with Navigation are .00120 and 53%.

Lastly, the numbers for the ;09 Forester Turbo Limited with Navigation are .00120 and 54%.

When negotiating your lease on the Outback, make sure to take advantage of the $2,000 cash incentive that is currently available on it. Subaru is not providing any cash on the 2009 Forester right now. It doesn't need to, Forester sales have been on fire lately.

I doubt that the fact that you leased a Subaru in 2007 makes you eligible for any available loyalty incentives.

Car_man
    Host
  • johnuser17johnuser17 Member Posts: 6
    I have used this board for years but this is my first post. Just got a 2009 Outback 2.5i SE on a 36 month lease, 15K miles/year with 270 drive off

Details:

MSRP: 27,754
    Sale price: 19,600 ( 19,000 + 600 bank aq. fee)
    Residual : 14820(54%)
    Disposition fee: $300
    15 cents over 15Kmi/yr
    Subaru Motors Finance ( Chase)

Drive off : registration (CA)+$45doc+$8 tire fee?+ $4tax)= $270

I was kinda amazed I got this deal so I wanted to post it. The one thing that was very weird was when they pulled my FICO it came up below 700 using Experian Auto Fico II so the money factor was .002 not .00175

Carman, any idea how I was able to get such a huge discount? ( 27,754-19,000=8,754) I don't even see these cars advertised in So. Cal for less than 21,700. It is kinda bugging me that don't know how they got to such a low price. I though maybe it was an open ended lease but the paper work is standard SMF. There is a disposition fee of $300 at lease end to turn in the car and

I am in Northern CA.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    I had a quote for around $19,000 on a Special Edition lease back in January. Having said that I don't believe you got the deal you claim.

1. An Outback Special Edition doesn't MSRP for $27,754. It would literally have to have every accessory known to Subaru and still would be $1,500 short of that price.

2. Your residual of $14,820 is 53.39%, not 54% but either way the actual residual value of an SE 36 month, 15K per year is 53.0%.

3. How did you get out of paying your first monthly payment? Normally you have to put down at least $500 in order to do that.

4. Using the numbers you posted your payment would be around $221 not $201.

What dealer did you go through? Salesman?
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    I agree with the previous poster. There ain't no way that deal is legit. Maybe if you put $1,500 down.
    Hey chuck and stoopy I can understand your disbelief since I couldn't believe or even understand how he got the numbers he did. But believe me it is legit and nothing would make me happier than to have you go to a Subaru dealer in the Bay Area, ask if you bring in proof will you match this price, and I will meet you and show them the copy of my lease. I would get that "match the price" promise in writing though.

So let me address your points chuck:

>>1. An Outback Special Edition doesn't MSRP for $27,754. It would literally have >>to have every accessory known to Subaru and still would be $1,500 short of >>that price.

That is what I thought too but things must have changed since Jan. The Maroni sticker on my car showed an MSRP of $26,138 but he calculated the lease on the computer at $27,754. The car has a listed package at $3 grand or so but then gives a discount1,600. I don't have the sticker in front of me so I am approximating but my guess is he added the discount onto the $26,138. Again there is a $16 deficit there which I can resolve. When I get the sticker from the car tomorrow I can give you the exact numbers.

Weird too that when I go to subaru.com I can't price out the model I have correctly.

Look at this ad that shows the Outback 2.5i SE priced at $27,754
    http://ads.ocregister.com/interactive-ads/ocr/images/pdf/0009079660-01.pdf

>>2. Your residual of $14,820 is 53.39%, not 54% but either way the actual >>residual value of an SE 36 month, 15K per year is 53.0%.

The residual on the lease contract is exactly $14,820. I can show that to you

>>3. How did you get out of paying your first monthly payment? Normally you >>have to put down at least $500 in order to do that.

It was a sign and drive lease. My payment would have been $191 with 0 out of pocket but with the FICO drop it went to 201 and I paid registration plus the fees

>>4. Using the numbers you posted your payment would be around $221 not >>$201.

Here are the numbers that show on the lease:

19600-1482=4780 4780/36= 133 dep/mo
    (1482+19600)*.002=68 rent/mo
    133+68=201/mo + CA tax

So yes, if you include tax the payment is $220/mon

The interesting thing about the SE package is that it includes heated seats and a Harmon Kardon stereo but the climate control is analog with AC. Stereo is nice and has CD. Alloy wheels and 17" 225/55 tires are included. No leather, no dual zone climate control. Has the extended arm rest and Homelink thing on the rear view with a digital compass.
    I think you had to have put down or traded around $1,500 to get this deal. That link to the ad states "36 month lease, 10K miles per year, $0 security deposit. First month’s payment, tax, title, acquisition and registration fees extra. Lease Now For Only $216 Plus tax per month for 36 months Only $999 Down!" That's $999 down, plus 1st payment ($235), plus acquisition fee ($595) = $1829.44 due at signing. There's no way you could get even $220 with zero due at signing. Like chuck said, Who did you go thru? Salesman's name and/or number?
    Stoopy that was an example of an Outlook 2.5i SE with the MSRP of 27,754. I did not buy my car there. I purchase the car in San Jose,CA.

The car was brand new with 40 miles on. The model number on the Maroni was listed as 9DD

I finally had a chance to look at the Maroni sticker and the MSRP was 26,183. The listed options are auto trans (1,000) Special edition package (3,350) and then a discount on the Special Edition pacage (-1750). My guess is he added that discount back to the $26,183 to get an MSRP of $27,933 . That makes more sense now because as chuck mentioned the residual is %53 for 36mo at 15K miles (27,933*.53=1480).

If you pm me I will tell you exactly who I went to.
    Including 6% sales tax the best offer I have gotten on a 2.5i SE was $237 on a 36 month/15K lease. I don't get how you were able to pull this off.

What did you mean by.....

"I finally had a chance to look at the Maroni sticker"

What's a Maroni?
    How do I PM you for the dealer info?

I looked at Subaru website and there are two dealers in San Jose. I sent emails to both of them a minute ago. We'll see.
    Ok I just realized this forum has no private messaging.

Let me know if you find a Forum that has PM and I will post it there. The only thing I can think of is posting the info on slickdeals as I think they have a PM system

Let me know.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Monroney

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Correct. the Monroney is the sticker you see on the windshield of new cars. This:

From Wikipedia: "In the United States, all new automobiles are required to include an official form listing certain information about the car; this window sticker is commonly called a Monroney sticker in the industry (or simply a window sticker), named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, the Oklahoma senator who sponsored the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958."

You guys must be over 50. We youngsters simply refer to it as a window sticker. I've never heard of a Monroney until now.

johnuser17: Got a quote from Capitol Subaru in San Jose, $235 a month plus tax. Still not close to your $220. It'd be over $256 with tax.
    I'm 40, but it's a term you'll hear a lot within the auto industry. I guess I hang out with a lot of car guys, and some of my friends work at dealerships.
    If you look at the San Jose Mercury advertisements for this past weekend you will see the dealership ad for $179/mo 10K miles 0 drive off. This was apparently a mistake but they were able to honor the ad.
    Just say a first name of the salesman and where you got it. That's all i want as proof.
    I am assuming his $201 lease payment was just a tall tale since he never responded with the dealership and salesman. I figured as much. Nearest I got was $257 w/ tax.
    Hey Stoopy or anyone else in this forum,

Would be happy to meet you and show you the paperwork at any dealer( Honda, Toyota, Subaru , etc) along Stevens Creek or Capital Expressway anytime after 8pm or in SOMA( south of market, SF) at lunch time. You pick a public place and I will meet you. I will be the guy holding a white Subaru envelope

The reason for my post was to hopefully point out to everyone on this site that these deals do happen. No dealer is going to advertise that price nor will they email you that quote. My guess is that they needed to get rid of these 2 cars( I got one of them) that had been sitting on the lot and did so at somewhere around their cost.

This deal was real. I will prove it to you but I am not going to post my contract on the web nor am I going to post the sales guy name on this forum per the rules of the forum, "Please do not post names of salespeople"

Stoopy if you are in the market to get an Outback take me up on this. Otherwise if you are just browsing that is cool too.
  • carchic1carchic1 Member Posts: 22
    Carman or anyone else,
    Would you be able to provide me with leasing price information on the Subaru Outback 2009 premium all-weather pkg. for the NY metropolitan area (more specifically, Long Island)? This is what I need guidance on:
    Adj. cap cost____
    Destination fee____
    Residual ________
    MF_____
    Many thanks.
    Hey carchic1. I can provide you with information on what this vehicle's current money factor and residual value are, but it is difficult for me to say what its capitalized cost should be. In order for me to give you an idea of what price you should pay, I need you to provide me with the MSRP and dealer invoice price of the exact model that you are interested in, as you want it equipped. You can find that information right here at the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5i with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 51%, respectively. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
  • ts0673ts0673 Member Posts: 17
    Car Man,

If possible, can you provide the latest MF and Residual percentages for both a 2009 Outback 2.5i SE and 2.5i Limited - looking at a term of 36months with 12K miles/year. Thanks!
  • peterp2peterp2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I am looking into doing a 15k mile, 36 months lease for Outback 3.0R (9DU) with no additional option. Sticker is 32k and I would like to get it for 30k. What kind of monthly payment should I expect? What would be the money factor and the residual for this trim?

Thank you!
    Hi ts0673. Subaru's May lease program is scheduled to run through today, June 1st. I can give you an idea of what it is like right now. If you want to know the specifics of the new June program please feel free to check back with me in a couple of days.

Subaru's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5i with 12,000 miles per year are .00135 and 51%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited without navigation are .00095 and 52%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this model, make sure to take advantage off the $2,000 cash incentive that is available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi peterp2. I can provide you with this vehicle's lease program now, but I need you to provide me with its full MSRP and approximate selling price to work up a sample payment for you.

Keep in mind that Subaru's May lease program is scheduled to run through today, June 1st. If you want to know the specifics of the new June program please feel free to check back with me in a couple of days.

Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 3.0R without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 52%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • carlos_26carlos_26 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I am being offered these numbers on a 09 OUtback XT (AT) no nav:

MSRP: 33,558
    Sales Price: 27,500
    Residual: 49%
    MF: .00175
    Term: 36Months
    Mileage: 12K/yr
    MOnthly pymt: 437 with 7% sales tax

I need to pay fees totaling about $1k (bank fee, docs, tags, etc)

Is this a good deal in NJ???

• jkendrickjkendrick Member Posts: 45
    Car Man,

Haven't seen you post here in awhile, can you post the current July 09 m/f and residual for an '09 Outback 2.5 SE auto for a 10K 36 month lease.

I don't have my notes with me however I think most of the numbers are accurate

MSRP $25570
    Sale Price $22070 (includes $2k rebate)
    tax/title/reg all rolled in
    sec dep waived
    first payment made by subaru
    .0015 mf (going from memory)
    51% residual
    $309 / mo w/zero down

I just started shopping, this is the first price I've gotten, I think they are close but can still do better.....Your info will help, Thanks
  • jkendrickjkendrick Member Posts: 45
    Car Man:

Here's what I got today, I think it's about as good as I'll get but still waiting for you to confirm their info

30K/36 month lease

2009 Outback 2.5i SE
    $25,896 MSRP
    $21,800 selling price which includes $2k rebate
    6% tax, title, reg all rolled in, no acquisition fee or sec dep
    .0010 mf
    51% residual
    $0 drive off, Subaru pays 1st payment
    $301 / month

Is their money factor and residual correct?

Thanks
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    I would love to know what the current MF and residuals are as well on the 09 outback XT and the 09 outback 3.0. Also, can we get the '10 info as well for the outback XT and 3.0?

Stephen
    Hi jkendrick. I've been around, no one asked me any questions about the Outback. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback 2.5 SE with an automatic transmission and 10,000 miles per year are .00100 and 51%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $1,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey jkendrick. Please see my previous post for the info that you are looking for. The numbers that the dealer quoted you look good.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, conger14. Subaru's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Outback XT without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 46%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Outback 3.0 without nav are .00135 and 50%.

I don't think that Subaru has a 2010 Outback XT or 3.0, just a 3.6. The numbers for a 36 month lease of a base '10 Outback 3.6 are .00220 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • vserenavserena Member Posts: 2
    Hi -- I'm thinking of buying my leased 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited. Kelley says its value is $20,000. Our purchase option at the end of the lease term, which is in one month, is $15,088 + the purchase option fee of $150. Seems like we're in good shape, right? But do you know where I can find the wholesale value of the vehicle (the price the dealer would pay to buy the car at an auction.) In other words, I'm trying to get the price down as much as possible especially in this economy and with the glut of good leased cars heading back to the stores. Any thoughts? Much thanks, V
    You can ask in the Real-World Trade-in Values thread, but I gotta say, that price is a BARGAIN. I'd keep it in a second.

Even if auction price is lower, the dealer isn't going to do all that work for free. I bet a fair price for buying it used it well above the $15k you have the opportunity to pay.
  • obxtobxt Member Posts: 2
    Hi ateixeira,
    I checked Manheim.com (this is a dealer auction site). There were only 6 or 7 transactions for 2006 XT limited's...

The break it down by condition of the car: Above, Average and below.

Above: $14,840
    Average: $13,200
    Below: $11,560

These numbers are based on actual auction transactions...
    Hope this helps
  • obxtobxt Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 OB XT. Dealer seems pretty antsy about getting the deal done by month end. They problably have numbers they are trying to make. Me, I'm wondering if I should chance it and wait until after Aug. 3rd, hoping that either financing or incentives will get better. I doubt the $3000 cash back will go away, financing may go up but I'm thinking not, that they want to unload these 2009's.

Thoughts anyone?

Also, anyone else out there getting pricing on these, what are you seeing? I'm at about invoice minus the cash back About $5300 off sticker. I think the price could be better but how much. I'm not squabbling to much because this car was very hard to find and they are going to drive to me (about a 5 hr drive).

Thanks
    Thanks.

Factoring in the fact that it's her car, so noone else has used it before and she knows the history, it should be considered Above average condition easily. Unless there's something I don't know...

Any how, if it fetches nearly $15k at Manheim, no dealer will sell you one in good condition for that amount. They recondition them and tack on a profit, so I'd expect a sales prices about $3000 higher than that, maybe $2.
    Selection is dwindling, so you may want to jump on it if you like the specific color and model.

It's not worth haggling over $100 only to lose a deal where you're getting a $5 grand discount.
  • mayjaymayjay Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how soon edmunds.com will post the latest August incentives from Subaru for the 2010 Outbacks? Thanks!
    Don't hold your breath, the 2009 Forester didn't get any rebates at all, and finance incentives only appeared about a year after it came out.

If you want a deal, get a 2009 Forester or Outback.
    Hi mayjay. Other than 4.9% financing for up to 6 years and a small amount of lease support, Subaru is not currently providing much in the way of incentives on the 2010 Outback.

Car_man
    Host
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Subaru won't sell you the car for less than the buyout. You might check before the lease is up if you can realize any trade in equity on an 09 or 2010. If the dealer wants your car at 16-17k and can sell it for 19-20k you have a grand or two toward a new one -- buy or lease.
This discussion has been closed.