Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Lease Questions

Comments

• nfortunenfortune Member Posts: 3
    Are these $215 - $219 quotes your final payment after tax? So you are writing your check out each month for this? If so, that is a better deal!

I didn't have to put any month down and I got 15K miles a month, so yes, this adds a little to the payment but that's after taxes btw. Also, my quoted payment initially was $259.22 but my credit wasn't perfect. It ended up having my mortgage on it twice...which is WRONG so I didn't qualify for teir 1 credit and I was on the phone today with Experian to dispute it. Still cost me more money b/c of an error from my mortgage company. I checked my credit and my score was almost 750 Sept. 2, 09...so who knows what happened. ?? But that's another story!

So back to my question, are these payments including taxes? As in, you write your check out and the payment each month is........
  • nfortunenfortune Member Posts: 3
    Hi kazanjig,

Thanks for your response. No offense either, I want to hear about some of the deals out there.

I looked at the website: fitzmall.com but I can't find anything for California. It looks like the great deals there are only in FL, MD, PA, VA and DC but this doesn't really help me. Did you get your deal through them? What state are you in?

Good prices nonetheless! Thanks for sharing!

I would like to hear about some other great deals in the state of California, then I can really compare apples to apples. Even then, I'm thinking my deal still could have been better..arrrggg!
  • vchadvchad Member Posts: 97
    yes, it DOES include taxes, AND gap insurance. (the gap was 350, which I had them add it into the lease).

Yes, fitzmall is mostly eastcoast, but honestly the deals they give, you could pay shipping and probably still be better off then buying locally.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey livewire1. The easiest way to tell how good a deal a lease is is to take a look at the selling price that it is based upon. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Anyone who is leasing should find out how much they are being charged for the car that they want before they sign on the dotted line. Let me know what this car's selling price is and I'll tell you what I think.

Also, make sure that the dealer is using Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor of .00050 (for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier) to calculate your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi kazanjig. Toyota's lease program varies by region. I don't recall seeing its exact money factor for your area, but I suspect that it is around .00050 for up to 36 months right now.

Toyota Financial Services' current residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Camry SE with 15,000 miles per year is 63%. The problem is that Toyota's published residual values are for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized that make it difficult to calculate the actual dollar residual value for specific units, so much so that it provides dealers with a list of the actual dollar residuals for the units that they have in stock.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi chasva. In most areas, Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Camry XLE V6 with 15,000 miles per year are .00050 and 63%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka Tier 1+ credit tier.

The problem is that Toyota's published residual values are for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized that make it difficult to calculate the actual dollar residual values for specific units, so much so that it provides dealers with a list of the actual dollar residuals for the units that they have in stock.

Car_man
    Host
  • vchadvchad Member Posts: 97
    Carman,

you are correct in your info. But for an 10 SE model, for 12k miles alone, on An SE msrp of around 27400, the residual value was actually around (58.7-59%). So with 15k miles, ur easily 57 or high 56.

Toyota does leasing residuals very differently, and I feel is because, they tell they you they are giving you "extra value packages" at such a discount, but really tho ur getting a deal on the options, they are getting the money back on the lower residuals.

So best bet is to just lease the base models...but ehh.
  • keepingitcleankeepingitclean Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man,

Can you please post the residual and money factor for Camry SE V6 (24 and 36 months 15k/year),
    I am in the Southern California Region 91789.

Thanks!!!
  • keepingitcleankeepingitclean Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man,

Can you please post the residual and money factor for Camry SE V6 (24 and 36 months 15k/year),
    I am in the Southern California Region 91789.

Thanks!!!
  • cinweed2cinweed2 Member Posts: 3
    I am currently in the 29th month of a 66 month lease for a Honda 2007 Pilot Ex,@ $353 a month. I want out, The pay off is 20,173,the residual is 10,176.I have only 12,500 miles on it.The Kelley Blue Book value is 21,500.It is leased with Huntington Bank. I am located in Florida. I prefer not to return to the Honda dealership, I want to go to a Toyota dealer and BUY a USED Toyota and have them roll the money I owe into the loan.(Will banks do this?) The Honda is to big for me and I want a monthly payment around $250/ $300 a month. I am a first time leaser, never again! I do not want to keep this Honda for 6 1/2 years, right now it is in excellent shape with very low mileage. Will a dealer want it? How long are you allowed to finance a used car? Thanks for any help!
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    The Carmax in Kenosha WI is a also a Toyota dealer and thus sells new as well as used Toyotas.
    For a NEW 2010 Camry V-6 XLE loaded with every option available and an MSRP of $31,475.00 and a sell price of $28,528.00. They want $360/month for a lease with 0 down, 15,000 miles per year for 36 months.
    1) is this a good price &
    2) has ANYONE bought a NEW Toyaota from Carmax?
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    I have a quote for an XLE V-6 MSRP$30,395/$27,134 with rebate, plus TTL. Libertyville Toyota was lower by $400 as was Wilde Toyota. Once you get them committed to the lowest sales price then the monthly lease cost should be based on Toyota Financial Services current vehicle residual %, money factor and on your qualifications for their credit tiers.
    Buy it from who ever offers the lowest price. Warranty service is through any Toyota Dealership
    Hi keepingitclean. Here's the info that you're looking for. Toyota Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Camry SE V6 with 15,000 miles per year in its Los Angeles region are .00050 and 63%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

As I have mentioned in the past, TFS' residual value percentages are unfortunately fairly worthless. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized, essentially making its effective residual value lower than the published percentage. Calculating the dollar residual value for vehicles is so tricky that TFS provides dealers with a list of the residuals for the actual units that they have in stock rather than relying upon them to calculate them themselves using the percentages like many other banks do.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi cinweed2. there's nothing inherently wrong with leasing, the problem is that you leased your Pilot for way too long. I always advise consumers to try to limit leases to 36 to 39 months.

I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • pianoman31pianoman31 Member Posts: 3
    Went to a dealer this past weekend and was given these offers for a 2010 LE Sedan 2.5L 4Cyl. 12k miles a year for 36 months. MSRP of $21,900.

Giving $3,250 down (includes all fees, taxes, etc) monthly payment is $179/month.
    Giving $2000 down (includes all fees, taxes, etc) monthly payment is $221/month

Also...they offered to take my 2008 Nissan Sentra from me...no questions asked. I have 1 month left on the lease. What do you all think?? I live in Northern New Jersey.
  • number1leasingnumber1leasing Member Posts: 18
    You can do better than that for that area
  • psanderspsanders Member Posts: 13
    Hi Car_man -

Could you tell me what the residual value and money factor would be for the following lease?
    2010 Toyota Camry Base Model - 4 dr. sedan, automatic
    36 mo. lease
    12,000 miles/yr.
    area code 29926

Also, are there any current dealer incentives for my area?

Thanks!
  • lishafislishafis Member Posts: 3
    I'm sure you can do better than that, I just negotiated the following in NYC:

2010 Camry LE V6 w/Moonroof (MSRP Approx $26,000 + taxes)
    Cash out of pocket: $460 (DMV fees & 1st month pmt)
    $250/month (12,000 miles/year, 36 months)
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I went to a Toyota Dealership here in South Central Massachusetts this evening. I just closed a deal and leased a brand new 2010 Camry LE, 2.5 liter, 4 cylinder, automatic thru Toyota Financial Services.

With all of the information that I provide below, please tell me whether or not I got a very good lease deal on my new 2010 Camry LE:

3 Years/54,000 Mile Lease (I leased the vehicle for 18,000 Miles/Year for a total of 3 years)

The current MSRP of the vehicle is................ $23,035.00

DISCOUNT TAKEN OFF of the MSRP........... $4,432.87

The GROSS CAP COST is........................... $18,602.13

TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT............................. $2,800.00 Down Payment (includes $595.00 GAP insurance PLUS all other fees like taxes, title, bank fees, ect)

FREE REMOTE START ADDED to the vehicle at NO EXTRA CHARGE

TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT = $156.01 per month

Is the $156.01 per month lease deal that I just got a good monthly lease deal or did I "over pay" on the Down Payment?

Just so you know, in the beginning, I initially agreed to only give a down payment of $1,500 and with that $1,500.00 down payment, the dealership agreed to give me a lease on a brand new 2010 Camry LE for $169.00 per month for 3 Yrs./54,000 Miles (with 18,000 miles per year in the lease agreement) with a FREE REMOTE START.
    With the old $169.00 per month lease deal, I would have added the Satellite radio option and I had agreed to initially pay $498.00 up front out of my own pocket AT DEALER COST for the SATELLITE RADIO.

BUT instead, I only got the FREE REMOTE START and I dropped/deleted the satellite radio option on the vehicle and instead put more money down "up front" on the down payment for the vehicle in order to pay for the $595.00 GAP INSURANCE up front. I did "NOT" want to "roll-in" the GAP insurance into the monthly payments of the lease because the monthly payments would go up to around $170 to $185 per month from $156.01.

So, "without" the GAP INSURANCE my TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT was $2,205.00
    The way that I currently structured and did the lease deal "WITH" the $595.00 GAP INSURANCE is by adding and including the $595.00 GAP INSURANCE in my down payment. So the TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT that I ended up giving was $2,800.00.

Did I give too much on the TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT with the GAP INSURANCE "included"? Do you think that I got an excellent deal with the total amount of money I put out for the $2,800.00 down payment and on the $156.01 per month monthly payment that I got on the lease?

The sales and leasing managers at the Toyota dealership where I just leased my 2010 Camry LE told me that I got an "EXCELLENT" lease deal. They ALSO told me that they "NEVER, EVER" wrote up such a low monthly payment lease deal like the one that I just got on a $23,035.00 MSRP brand new 2010 Camry LE vehicle like this. Are they serious or are they joking?

Is the lease deal that I just got really an "excellent deal" or are the sales and lease managers at this Toyota dealership where I just leased my vehicle pulling my leg?
    What do you think?? Is this an excellent lease deal or a bad deal that I just made?

I would like to hear your feedback on this.

THANK YOU
  • icemastericemaster Member Posts: 3
    Here is the offer I received- 36 month lease of a 2010 Camry xle V6 with both added value packages wheel locks and Trunk mats
    $350 a month taxes included 12,000 miles per year in its Long Island,NY residual $19,504, first month and plates down($550)
    Does anybody here who knows car leases well know whether or not I got a Good Lease Deal on the below post which I also posted above a few days ago? :confuse:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

I went to a Toyota Dealership here in South Central Massachusetts this evening. I just closed a deal and leased a brand new 2010 Camry LE, 2.5 liter, 4 cylinder, automatic thru Toyota Financial Services.

With all of the information that I provide below, please tell me whether or not I got a very good lease deal on my new 2010 Camry LE:

3 Years/54,000 Mile Lease (I leased the vehicle for 18,000 Miles/Year for a total of 3 years)

The current MSRP of the vehicle is................ $23,035.00

DISCOUNT TAKEN OFF of the MSRP........... $4,432.87

The GROSS CAP COST is........................... $18,602.13

TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT............................. $2,800.00 Down Payment (includes $595.00 GAP insurance PLUS all other fees like taxes, title, bank fees, ect)

FREE REMOTE START ADDED to the vehicle at NO EXTRA CHARGE

TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT = $156.01 per month

Is the $156.01 per month lease deal that I just got a good monthly lease deal or did I "over pay" on the Down Payment?

Just so you know, in the beginning, I initially agreed to only give a down payment of $1,500 and with that $1,500.00 down payment, the dealership agreed to give me a lease on a brand new 2010 Camry LE for $169.00 per month for 3 Yrs./54,000 Miles (with 18,000 miles per year in the lease agreement) with a FREE REMOTE START.
    With the old $169.00 per month lease deal, I would have added the Satellite radio option and I had agreed to initially pay $498.00 up front out of my own pocket AT DEALER COST for the SATELLITE RADIO.

BUT instead, I only got the FREE REMOTE START and I dropped/deleted the satellite radio option on the vehicle and instead put more money down "up front" on the down payment for the vehicle in order to pay for the $595.00 GAP INSURANCE up front. I did "NOT" want to "roll-in" the GAP insurance into the monthly payments of the lease because the monthly payments would go up to around $170 to $185 per month from $156.01.

So, "without" the GAP INSURANCE my TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT was $2,205.00
    The way that I currently structured and did the lease deal "WITH" the $595.00 GAP INSURANCE is by adding and including the $595.00 GAP INSURANCE in my down payment. So the TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT that I ended up giving was $2,800.00.

Did I give too much on the TOTAL DOWN PAYMENT with the GAP INSURANCE "included"? Do you think that I got an excellent deal with the total amount of money I put out for the $2,800.00 down payment and on the $156.01 per month monthly payment that I got on the lease?

The sales and leasing managers at the Toyota dealership where I just leased my 2010 Camry LE told me that I got an "EXCELLENT" lease deal. They ALSO told me that they "NEVER, EVER" wrote up such a low monthly payment lease deal like the one that I just got on a $23,035.00 MSRP brand new 2010 Camry LE vehicle like this. Are they serious or are they joking?

Is the lease deal that I just got really an "excellent deal" or are the sales and lease managers at this Toyota dealership where I just leased my vehicle pulling my leg?
    What do you think?? Is this an excellent lease deal or a bad deal that I just made?

I would like to hear your feedback on this.

THANK YOU
  • arvai2arvai2 Member Posts: 7
    That looks like a helluva deal to me - especially with 18,000 a year and free remote starter.

I just closed a deal two days ago on a Camry LE with leather upgrade on a 3 year / 36,000 mile lease.

Got the Camry LE w/ leather upgrade for 20,787 which was 300 below invoice. Money factor = .00050 with residual of .69.

Put $2850 down on a trade in plus they gave me $1,000 for college incentive.

Payment came to $158.
  • sirkobsirkob Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up my Camry..
    White SE V6 with Leather Package
    $329 a Month for 36 Months/12,00 miles
    paid $669 up front for first month payment and the Reg/Dmv/Other Fees.

what do you guys think about this deal?
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Give me feedback... xle 4cyl with nav,leather/heated seats and keyless start,mats ..car's msrp is $29,150 36mo/36,000 miles $2000 down and $600 first payment/reg fees. Price is $259/mo incl 6.25% Mass sales tax
  • rparmarrparmar Member Posts: 4
    Which dealer is it?
  • quankopquankop Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Got an offer for 262$ per month on 2010 Camry XLE, plus 1000$ down payment.
    This is not the V6, but it does have a GPS package, leather heated seats, etc.
    Is it a good deal? I am in PA, zip 19382. Are there any hidden costs I should watch out? When is the best time to close the deal?
    Please advice.
    Thank you in advance!
    quancop,
    I think that the end of the month is the best time to close the deal. How many miles per year are you getting for the $262 per month lease payment on your 4 cylinder Camry XLE? It seems that you got nice options in the vehicle that you chose, but the biggest thing is the annual mileage that you are going to lease it for.
    I leased my 2010 Camry LE for ONLY $156.01 per month for 3 years/ 18,000 miles per year and I put a $2,800 down payment which included the Gap Insurance in the down payment. I got an excellent deal considering that I can drive 18,000 miles per year with my vehicle.
    Also, there are NO other hidden costs in my lease.
  • dave_f_ndave_f_n Member Posts: 8
    What was the residual and money factor on your 3 years/ 18,000 miles Camry LE lease? :)
    Thanks
    "What was the residual and money factor on your 3 years/ 18,000 miles Camry LE lease?"

I think that the car will be worth $13,500 after 3 years/54,000 miles. I can buy the vehicle for a little bit under or around $14,000 if I want to after the lease is up. The price of the vehicle at the time that the deal was made for the lease was $18,800. The MSRP sticker price for the car which I leased was $23,085.
    I got $4,285 OFF the MSRP price of the car at the time of the lease.
  • quankopquankop Member Posts: 2
    gtgtcobra, your deal sound a lot better! Are you in PA as well?
    The mileage we discussed was 12K per year.
    In another dealership the best offer was 299x36 plus 1000$ down (incl. lisence and registration), with no additional costs.
    Also - the 2010 4 cyl XLE is a loaded one (leather, Nav)... Doesn't include Gap insurance though...
    What do you think?
    "gtgtcobra, your deal sound a lot better! Are you in PA as well?
    The mileage we discussed was 12K per year.
    In another dealership the best offer was 299x36 plus 1000$ down (incl. lisence and registration), with no additional costs.
    Also - the 2010 4 cyl XLE is a loaded one (leather, Nav)... Doesn't include Gap insurance though...
    What do you think?"

quankop,
    I am located in Massachusetts.
    This is what I would do if I were you:
    Go into the dealership and start the negotiations process by telling them that you want to lease a BRAND NEW 2010 Camry LE. Whatever you do, do NOT be excited about the car. Just tell them that you want a point a to point b vehicle. The dealer will ask you what you are looking for in a car. Tell them that you want the 2010 Camry LE. ALSO tell them that the MOST IMPORTANT thing about the car is the MONTHLY PAYMENT that you will be paying for the monthly lease. Whatever you do, do NOT get excited about the car. The LE comes with all the power features. Do not get the extra stuff like the NAV and the sunroof. These extras just inflate the cost of the car. Also, do not get the XLE. The XLE is the same exact vehicle except that it has the wood trim and the leather option in it. Again, the price of the vehicle gets inflated if you select the XLE.

ALSO, whatever you do, do NOT let the dealer try to convince you to get a DEMO. Tell them that you want a BRAND NEW 2010 Camry LE from their lot. Tell them that you want to pick one out from their lot once you work out the lease deal with them. The dealer will have plenty of Camry vehicles for you to pick from so don't worry about getting excited to go out on the lot to pick one out right away. Whatever you do, work out the lease deal first, THEN go out and pick out your Camry. That's how I did it. The dealer was trying to get me to lease a 2010 Camry LE Demo and I told him that I was not interested in a demo. I wanted to lease ONLY a brand new 2010 Camry LE from his lot. This method will show the dealer that you are not excited or hooked only on one Camry vehicle and it will allow them to concentrate more on trying to work closely together with you so you can get the BEST possible lease deal. That's how I did it and it worked for me 100%.

When the dealer asks you how much you are looking for a monthly lease payment, tell them that you do NOT want to pay anymore than $150 per month. BE STERN about this and BE SERIOUS and BE NICE about it too. Tell the salesman that you are NOT here to waste his time or yours. Make sure that you tell him that you are serious in trying to work out a deal with him TODAY.
    When the salesman asks you how much you want to put down tell them that you are willing to put down $1,000 for the lease. ALSO tell the salesman that you want the lease to be 18,000 miles per year for 3 years. Whatever you do, stick with the 18,000 miles per year for the annual mileage. The salesman is going to go to the sales manager to give him your offer. The sales manager is probably going to reject your offer, but do NOT worry. If that happens, whatever you do try to keep the deal open.

If your first offer is rejected then tell your salesman:
    "Look, what if I put an extra $500 down?" That's what I told my salesman and I got my current lease deal. Tell them that you still want to somehow work out the deal with them and that you still want to pay only $150 per month and the 18,000 miles per year for 3 years, but this time around you want to put down an extra $500 to make the down payment $1,500 in order to make the deal for the monthly lease payment work at $150 per month. The salesman is going to go back again to the sales manager. When the sales manager comes over to you be nice about everything and tell them that you are serious about wrapping up the deal RIGHT NOW (Today) and that you want to close the deal. The sales manager will come back with a counter offer. When the counter off comes back from the sales manager, tell him that you are in disagreement with it. THEN increase your monthly payment and tell them that you are willing to go up on the monthly payment, BUT NO MORE that $165 per month. Stick with the 18,000 miles per year annual mileage.
    That's how I did my lease deal and the sales manager wrapped up and closed the deal with me at $169 per month with 18,000 per year. I spent over 3 hours at the dealer. I went to the dealer about 2 hours BEFORE he closed on a Friday. I was very nice and very humble about everything and I got an excellent lease deal from them.

After the sales manager agreed to do the lease deal for me with $1,500 down, I offered to put down an extra $500 to bring the monthly payment down to $156.01. Once you get the sales manager's approval on the deal you can put a few bucks more down to decrease the monthly payment $15 to $20 per month if you like. That's what I did.

After you wrap up the lease deal, the salesman will bring you into the finance manager's office so they could do the paperwork for the lease. While you are inside the finance manager's office the finance manager will ask you if you want GAP INSURANCE on your vehicle. At the time, I didn't know that I could get Gap Insurance from my own insurance company for much less money and I purchased the Gap Insurance thru the dealer for $500. The Gap Insurance from the dealer is really $700, but they gave it to me for $500 and I bought it. I did NOT want to add the Gap Insurance to my monthly lease payment so I put down $500 more to pay off the Gap Insurance for the car. I put down a TOTAL of $2,800 for EVERYTHING to get the deal that I got.

If you go to your own auto insurance company you can get the exact same Gap Insurance for an extra $50 per year ($50 x 3 years = $150 total cost for the Gap Insurance thru your own insurance company). I didn't know this at the time, but I would have not had to put an extra $500 dollars down for the Gap Insurance if I had purchased it from my own insurance company. The next time that I lease I will know this and I will purchase the Gap Insurance from my own insurance company. The dealer will NOT tell you this or make you aware that you can buy Gap Insurance from your own auto insurance company. But now you know so get the Gap Insurance separately from your own insurance company.

This is EXACTLY how I structured my negotiations for my lease deal and that's how I was able to get the $156.01 monthly lease payments with the 18,000 miles per year for 3 years. If you structure your negotiations just like I did you will be able to get the same deal. Just take your time and copy my negotiation deal that I mention here. You should be able to get the same exact lease deal like I did with the 18,000 miles per year for 3 years. Take your time negotiating. Don't look desperate and be nice all the way thru the negotiations. It took me over 3 hours of back and forth negotiations to get the deal that I got. I tried to make the process fun. Tell me how it goes.
    quankop,
    I just gave you detailed instructions in the previous post above here regarding how I structured my negotiations when I went to the Toyota dealer to do my lease deal on my brand new 2010 Camry LE.

You need to copy and duplicate my lease deal and try to get the same exact deal as I did. You should be able to get the same exact deal like I did with the same exact monthly payment and mileage terms if you copy and duplicate my negotiation process. Please let me know how things go with everything after you do your lease negotiations. I am rooting for you to get an excellent deal on your 2010 Camry LE.
    Let me know how things go for you.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    By putting all that money down ($2205 DOWN, $2800 TOTAL) all you did was lower your payment by $60+ a month. So really your $156 deal would have been $220 on a zero down lease. Better hope your car isn't totalled or stolen because you will not get that down payment money back. Insurance will just zero out what you owe on the lease. That's why it isn't smart to put any money down at all. Sign and drive. First monthly payment is all you ever need to pay up front.
    Chuck68516,
    For me, it is a smarter and a wiser move to put down a down payment because I LOWERED my payment by $69 each month. If I did the lease deal with $0 down I would have to pay MORE each month. I would rather give some money down up front and have smaller monthly payments each month. If the vehicle gets totaled then YES, I would lose the $2,300 that I put down PLUS I would lose the other $500 that I put down for the Gap Insurance.

I look at it this way:
    If I hadn't leased and if instead I had purchased a vehicle, I would STILL had to put some money down. And with this same scenario, if my vehicle which I purchased to own were to get totaled, I would STILL lose all the money that I put down to purchase the vehicle. The down payment would be gone. If the vehicle had any equity in it, I might get some money back from the insurance company, but for the most part, all or most of the money that I put down for the vehicle would be gone and unretrievable. The same goes for my lease. You never can win when it comes to making up for the down payment when you lease or buy if your vehicle gets totaled. Especially in a situation when you are in an "upside down" situation when you "own" the vehicle. Either way, it's a gamble. I'm NOT going to worry whether or not my lease vehicle gets totaled.
    I am not the type of person who wants to work for the car payment. I am a big skin flint and a cheap-skate and I want to have "affordable" and "comfortable" monthly lease payments for the next 3 years. That's the ONLY reason WHY I used a down payment to lease my Camry.
    At the end of 3 years, I will lease another Camry and do the same thing.
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    This is, sure, up to your taste. But:
    1) You might then consider a program Toyota offers (or, at least, offered not long ago) to prepay ALL lease, with zero monthly payment.
    2) It is not true that you have to put money down on a purchase, you actually can finance 100%.
    3) Can anyone explain why would one buy the Gap insurance at all when putting money down? I understand why you need Gap if you sign and drive. But with such high downpayments you are not, probably, going to be upside-down anyway, at least not on Toyota, at least not significantly (esp. compared with the Gap premium you already paid).
    The "smarter and wiser" thing to do would have been to put the $2000+ that you put down on the lease in the bank and pay your slightly higher lease payment with it. Putting money down defeats the whole purpose of leasing and potentially is the same as flushing it down the crapper. It's just as "affordable" to use THE SAME money you were putting down to pay your slightly higher lease payment.

GAP insurance is included on nearly every lease except Toyota's. They don't include it as a way to scam more money out of you during the lease negotiations. Do you honestly think you are going to be upside down on your Toyota the day you drive it off the lot? If so, it's because you negotiated a terrible deal.

Not sure why you kept debating putting money down on a lease vs buying. I never said anything about buying.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I never heard of anyone putting 18k miles a yr on a leased vehicle; leasing is not meant for people who put a lot of miles on their vehicles while they have them; you better hope you don't have any trouble with your car and that you love it enough to buy it at the end of the lease because you realize that Toyota's warranty is 3yr/36k miles, so if something happens after you reach 36k miles, you'll be responsible for the service bills on a car you don't even own! that's like flushing money down the toilet

thats another reason why you don't ever lease longer than the warranty period for a car, that means 3yrs for the lower divisions and 4 yrs for the luxury divisions

thats what annoys the crap out of me with Nissan, they keep advertising leases and people buy into them for 39 months, but last time I checked, Nissan's warranty is only 36 months - so for 3 months you'll be out of warranty and pay for 4yrs of DMV fees and registration

but, if you love the car and decide to buy it out at the end of the lease then nothing I just said would matter, but personally I would never do more than 15k miles/yr on a lease
    I whole heartily agree with you about the whole money down on a lease thing; the only problem is, I have yet, in my 6 years of leasing found any dealership in NJ, where I live, or NY that would give me a car with nothing down! I don't know if it is the location where I live but that is the trouble I have had when leasing; because they want something down and because I know the risk in putting a down payment down on a lease, I never do more than 1k down to keep it at a bare minimal!
    "The "smarter and wiser" thing to do would have been to put the $2000+ that you put down on the lease in the bank and pay your slightly higher lease payment with it. Putting money down defeats the whole purpose of leasing and potentially is the same as flushing it down the crapper. It's just as "affordable" to use THE SAME money you were putting down to pay your slightly higher lease payment."

chuck68516,
    I see what you mean, but if I didn't use the $2,000+ that I put down "UP FRONT" to pay for a higher monthly lease payment everything would STILL come out the same dollar-wise spent over the 3 year period of the lease for the lease payments. I wouldn't be paying more on the lease. Either way, I decided that I wanted to put money down ONLY because I wanted the monthly lease payments to be low for me. I do NOT like paying over $200+ per month for 36 months STRAIGHT for a car.
    For you, putting down $2,000+ for a lease might be flushing it down the crapper, but for me it's a way to REDUCE the monthly lease payments for 36 months straight. At the end, the total payments that I would make for the 3 year lease on the deal come out the same dollar-wise. :)
    "I never heard of anyone putting 18k miles a yr on a leased vehicle; leasing is not meant for people who put a lot of miles on their vehicles while they have them; you better hope you don't have any trouble with your car and that you love it enough to buy it at the end of the lease because you realize that Toyota's warranty is 3yr/36k miles, so if something happens after you reach 36k miles, you'll be responsible for the service bills on a car you don't even own! that's like flushing money down the toilet

thats another reason why you don't ever lease longer than the warranty period for a car, that means 3yrs for the lower divisions and 4 yrs for the luxury divisions

thats what annoys the crap out of me with Nissan, they keep advertising leases and people buy into them for 39 months, but last time I checked, Nissan's warranty is only 36 months - so for 3 months you'll be out of warranty and pay for 4yrs of DMV fees and registration

but, if you love the car and decide to buy it out at the end of the lease then nothing I just said would matter, but personally I would never do more than 15k miles/yr on a lease"

smarty666,
    I'm NOT worried about the 18,000 miles per year that I am going to put on the car. I feel that I got an excellent deal on the lease, so the 18,000 miles per year doesn't bother me. If the Toyota Warranty runs out after the 3 years/ 36,000 miles and if I need to do any repairs to the vehicle then I am responsible for any repairs. I already know that. Toyota vehicles for the most part are trouble-free and I highly doubt that the Camry that I leased will need anything more than tires and brakes after 36,000 miles. I take care and maintain all of my vehicles, so the chances of needing any major repairs after 36,000 miles is very slim to none.
    Also, I have no intentions of buying the vehicle that I currently lease. When the lease is up, I will either lease another vehicle or maybe purchase a vehicle. The decision will depend on what types of deals are going to be out there 3 years from now.
    So far, I am very happy that I leased and that I didn't have to fork out many thousands of dollars to put down for a new car and still have astronomical $350+ monthly car payments for 5+ years. Being a skin-flint like I am, leasing was the cheapest way to go for me. :)
    as long as your happy that is all that really matters!!! enjoy your camry!!!
    Thanks, I will try to do that. :)
  • lunaticelunatice Member Posts: 1
    I went into a dealership last night in Virginia. I looked at the Camry LE and after driving the car and talking with them they told me all the profit had been stripped off the car at an MSRP of 20,908.84. At a 3,300 downpayment (thats including processing fee and taxes, DMV, etc.) my monthly payment would be $179. When I told them I needed my payments around $200 with nothing down all they did was move that downpayment into my payments giving me a downpayment of $2500. All in all, they took me into their office and showed me their "gross profit sheet" assuring me that they only make $250-300 bucks on each special lease deal and did not have much room to work. At an original MSRP of 22,850, a residual of 62.30% ($14,235), what kind of deal should I be structuring here? I would like to put down a very minimal amount, if anything..

Thank you
  • wsc3wsc3 Member Posts: 3
    Went to the dealer (Southern Connecticut) today and got a price on 2010 Camry LXE w/Navigation and loaded with all of the bells and whistles.
    MSRP: $28,892.0
    LEV:$18,006.00
    LEV%:%62.32
    Down Payment: $2000.00
    Money Factor:0.00050
    Monthly payment $294.01
    Is it worth it? Thanks!
  • lb518lb518 Member Posts: 1
    I too am being told by TFS that I owe over $300 for personal property tax on an old lease that expired in 2004. This was the second car I leased from them and I do not recall paying personal property tax. Does anyone know about this, I live in Ohio if it makes a difference.
  • laderakingladeraking Member Posts: 69
    2010 v6 XLE with Navigation
    Msrp 31693.
    cap cost is 100 over inv = 28980

$400 / mos for 24 mos. $850 down

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    It all works out the same except if your car gets stolen or totalled. In that case you are out $2K and have to scramble to re-lease another car.

Plus it goes against the whole point of leasing. You don't throw $2000 at the car rental guy do you?
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    My understanding is that you are out $2k only if you are upside down that much. Not sure how often is this the case. Actually, $2k is just an upper limit of your loss, but you may not necessarily incur it even if the car is totalled.

It is not the whole point of leasing, not to pay any money until you absolutely have to. One usually doesn't mind to make a downpayment on a loan, or cut the loan term short to save on the interest. The situation is not much different here. The comparison to the rental is not entirely accurate: if I rented for 36 months and if they charged me interest, I would throw $2k at the rental guy.

The only difference (in financial terms) between a lease and a loan, and the whole 'financial' point of leasing, is that you pay only for the part of a car which you actually use (~40-45%), and don't lock your cash in that part of a car which you never use but rather trade-in every time you change a car (residual value,~55-60%). How exactly do you handle this, it's of minor importance. Naturally, you try to lose as little money as possible in the process, and prepayment is legitimate, although carries some risk.

Probably, for many people the whole point of leasing is not even financial, it is the convenience of a guaranteed no-haggling riddance of the old vehicle.
  • nvnick1nvnick1 Member Posts: 9
    Looking at 36 month, 10k or 12k miles/yr with Sport leather package in Indiana.
  • bit2bit2 Member Posts: 1
    I went into Hartford Toyota in Hartford , CT last week to lease a brand new Camry. They had a TV ad (you can view it on their website) stating a $5,000 minimum trade in for your vehicle (the only fine print was that your vehicle be under 12 years old and have less than 150K miles). I went in with my 2001 Buick LeSabre ready to go. I was immediately told that base Camry's have no power windows or locks. Of course I did not want this so I inquired about the LE ( i later found that there is no such thing as a powerless Camry) I was told I would only get $3,600 for my Buick as it was not worth the $5,000. I was told the $5,000 included a $1,000 student rebate and a $400 military rebate. I was then told that I could get the $5,000 only if I bought a new "Toyota Rep" Camry. It is a 2010 Camry SE V6 fully loaded (moonroof, leather, nav, bluetooth, ipod, etc) with 9,894 miles. When asked why they stated that as the car cost more they could afford to lose on the trade in. (God only knows why my bells did not go off there). So I was told with the $5,000 my lease payment would be $419/mo. I told them I could not do more than $299 (why so high? I'm an idiot). After three trips to the sales manager they came back saying they could do it for a 3 yr/36,000 mile lease. Of course I now realize some of the numbers were off. First off the window sticker stated the cost of the vehicle was $30,900 and in the lease it says $32,400. They state that with a lease they must use the MSRP of the vehicle and that the price could not be changed. I am also now sure I do not have GAP insurance nor did they bring it up at all during the financials. I went home and realized (of course after signing ) that I would reach a point in my lease where I would have no warranty. After much argument (the next morning) I was given a signed letter by the general manager that they would honor a bumper to bumper for me (the dealership) through 45,000 miles to make up for the mileage the vehicle had. My wife also owns a Scion and I took advantage of the 2yr Maintenance plan Toyota is advertising. Well, I sent an email to Toyota ExtraCare as the dealership seemed confused as to whether the maintenance would be covered to 25,00 miles on the odometer or 25,000 miles from the 9K miles. Toyota ExtraCare responded that the 2yr maintenance is on a New Car and as my car has mileage it is not a new vehicle. What?! How can the dealer lease it as a new vehicle but it's not new to Toyota? The funny thing is that the finance guy repeatedly stated that Toyota sees an unregistered vehicle as new and that it does not lose value or is ever considered used as it is not registered. I pretty much now feel like they took my trade in and I am paying them to take it off my hands. Or is this a good deal? Any thoughts out there? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.