Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Lease Questions

Comments

• ccapccap Member Posts: 40
    Well Guys, I pulled the trigger on a Platnium Sequoia.
    MSRP approx 59k
    selling at 51k
    mf.00016
    residual 52%
    3yr/12k miles
    no money out of pocket except first months pmt of $695
    $685 per month including MA sales tax

Plus they gave me all weather mats and another wireless headset
    I think its a great deal
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Member Posts: 40
    How much over invoice? I would be looking at or below invoice. Nobody is buying large SUV's. I was going to get a new sequoia sr5 to replace my 4 runner, and was told by the local dealer in MA that all in stock are available at cost.

Lease customers, act soon, though as you may see the residual values being knocked down. Used large SUV's coming off leases are not selling at anything close to residuals
  • ccapccap Member Posts: 40
    I got the vehicle 900 below cost and they also included gap insurance, and all weather mats. I used the leasing #'s from Toyota and did not get the 2k cash incentives becasue I was not a previous customer and I am using there MF numbers
  • jason973jason973 Member Posts: 7
    Where are you located? I am looking for a similar deal in NJ. Any suggestions?
  • jason973jason973 Member Posts: 7
    Can some of you provide what your lease payments are along with what the retail price is and the negotiated price. I am looking for a Limited with Nav and DVD.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello ccap. I believe that in most regions Toyota Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Sequoia SR5 4WD with 12,000 miles per year are .00016 and 57%, respectivelt for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier.

Keep in mind though that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes it very difficult to calculate the actual dollar residual values for vehicles, so much so that Toyota provides dealers with lists of the residual values for the units that they have in inventory instead of having them calculate them on their own. As a result, it is difficult for consumers to estimate what lease payments should be on Toyota models.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi jmcdermott1. It is definitely not in your best interest to enter into such a long lease. The main reason why it is not a good idea is Toyota's special lease money factor for the 2008 Sequoia is only available for leases up to 36 months in length. If you lease this truck for 60 months, the money factor that is used to calculate the interest portion of your lease payment will be well over ten times higher.

Also, a lot can happen over the course of five years to make you want to get out of your lease, yet doing so will likely be very expensive. Your commute could change causing you to go way over your mileage allowance, your lifestyle could change causing you to need a different type of vehicle, gas could go to $6 per gallon causing you to pay an arm and a leg to fill up your Sequoia, or you could just plain get sick of it. I always advise consumers to stick to 36 to 39 month leases if possible.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ccap. It usually takes a couple of days for community members to get answers to their questions from either myself or other knowledgeable people. It pays to ask your questions ahead of time. In most regions, I do not believe the $2,000 customer cash incentive that Toyota is currently providing on the '08 Sequoia is compatible with its special lease program. However, Toyota is providing another $2,000 incentive to current Sequoia owners and lessees that might be available on leases.

The market for large SUVs is absolutely dead right now. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a Sequoia for right around dealer invoice minus any available cash incentives.

Car_man
    Host
  • jmcdermott1jmcdermott1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks CM
  • cottingercottinger Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know what the current money factor and residual% is for a 2008 Sequoia Limited 2WD for 36/12K?
    You're very welcome, jmcdermott1.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings cottinger. Toyota's lease program for the 2008 Sequoia varies depending upon which one of its twelve regions you are in. You never mentioned what state you are in, so for now I will provide you with this truck's program for its New York region. Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '08 Sequoia Limited 2WD with 12,000 miles per year are .00084 and 48%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier.

Keep in mind that TFS places restrictions upon which options can be residualized. This makes it much more difficult to calculate actual dollar residual values for vehicles that are leased through them than it is with most banks.

Car_man
    Host
  • silverap1silverap1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the current money factor and residual% is for a 2008 Sequoia SRS 2WD for 36 months/12000 miles?

I'm in Texas

Thanks
  • layersnjlayersnj Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know the August RES and MF on both the SR5 and Limited 4WD SEQUOIA in the NY Metor Area?

Also on a lease how low should I be shooting for as a cap cost?
    Hello layersnj. Here's the information that you're looking for. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Toyota Financial Services' current NY region buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Sequoia SR5 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00084 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Sequoia Limited 4WD are .00084 and 46%.

The market for large SUVs like the Sequoia is absolutely dead right now. If I was in the market for one I would shoot for a selling price that's very close to dealer invoice.

Car_man
    Host
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    Hi Car Man-

I've never leased before and have a question re: leasing an '08 Sequoia Ltd or Platinum. I'm in NJ, and am looking at whether or not I can swing a lease deal on either model while keeping to a payment of as close to $500/month as possible for a 36 month/15k lease. Can't swing much more than $6k down payment. From reading your comments, it sounds like "invoice" or slightly below is the best anyone can do right now. Can you pls confirm?

It's my expectation that we'll fall in love with this truck and probably want to buy it out at lease-end. Does this ever make good financial sense--especially if I haven't gone over on mileage?

Would prefer to buy, but just don't have that kind down payment at the moment.

TIA, Tim
    Hi Tim. Since you hve never leased before, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I see that you are considering making a $6,000 down payment on your lease. Making large down payments like this on leases is never a good idea. Consumers who do so risk losing the money that they put down if their vehicle is stolen and never recovered or totaled in an accident. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be higher, you would be much better off keeping that money in the bank.

Dealer invoice before the application of any available cash incentives is definitely the price to shoot for on a Sequoia. In your area right now, I believe that Toyota is providing a $1,500 "bonus cash" incentive on this truck, which is compatible with its special lease program. Shoot for $1,000 to $1,500 under invoice after this cash is taken into account.

Whether you should purchase your truck at lease-end depends upon what its purchase option price is at the time and whether it is higher than what an equivalent used Sequoia would go for on the open market. There's no reason to pay significantly more for your truck at lease-end than you would have to pay to buy a used one.

Car_man
    Host
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    Thanks very much for your reply, Car Man. I've just read the articles you noted...much appreciated.

I don't mean to monopolize the forum, but you've got me thinking that buying may be more feasible than leasing--assuming I wait until I can put down an add'l $10k.

Fyi, I'm looking at an '08 Limited with sunroof and Rear Entertainment System which TMV Pricing is showing as $46,724 (MSRP is $51,675 and Invoice is $45,849) not including any cash back or rebates. In addition to the $3000 rebate, I **believe** my dealer is also offering an add'l $1000-1500 "bonus cash" lieu of the 0% financing, although the Low APR vs. Cash Back calculator is still showing I'd save more money by going with the 0% APR option. Unfortunately for me, "Finance" is was never my strong suit....thank goodness for these calculator tools!

At the end of the day, I'm surprised Toyota isnt dealing more on these behemoths right now as let's face it--there's very few of us buying this type of vehicle right now, and the 2009's are on their way. Thanks again for your help...will keep you posted on my purchase. -Tim
    You're very welcome, Tim. You're not monopolizing this discussion at all. The more posts, the merrier :) . I know that the Edmunds.com TMV for the Sequoia that you are interested in is above dealer invoice, but if I was interested in getting this truck right now I personally would shoot for invoice minus any available cash incentives and see what happens. The market for large SUVs like the Sequoia is absolutely dead and this should work to your advantage during negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
  • wakeman1wakeman1 Member Posts: 2
    can you tell me the name of the dealership that you bought your seqoia plat from ccap?
  • wakeman1wakeman1 Member Posts: 2
    car man. I see that cap got a great deal. I am in ct.. Any idera where he got that in MA? Any idea where I can get a great lease deal on a sequoia?
    Hi wakeman1. The deal that you are referring to was struck in June. The market for SUVs has completely imploded since then and most banks have realigned their residual values for them, ironically making them more expensive to lease. I believe that Toyota Financial Services has slashed nearly 20% off of its residual values for the Sequoia since then. Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to get nearly as good a deal on a lease of Sequoia today as that individual did several months ago.

Car_man
    Host
  • angelap1angelap1 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting to the end of my lease, and I don't know what I want next! I assumed that after this Sequoia that I would just get another one, not worrying about to much because the salesman said to get you in another Toyota, they could ignore a few miles over my alotment. Well, I hate the new body style, and I have already gone over my mileage...about 3000 miles. Plus, I have 2 more months to go.

Do I just hand them back the keys and pay for the overage? Or, should I just finance the remaining value? I'm not sure if that makes dollars and sense to finance more years. I like the Sequoia I have, but it lacks a few features I wish it had - second row captain chairs and a different paint color.

If I choose something like a Tahoe, should I just trade my leased vehicle into GM, providing they give me a decent trade in value?

My time is running out, and I don't know what to do. :confuse:
    Hi angelap1. If you have exceeded your lease's mileage allowance, the only to avoid paying an excess mileage penalty is to purchase your truck at lease-end. The problem with doing so however is the values for used vehicles, particularly for large SUVs have absolutely fallen apart. Chances are that it will be much, much more expensive to purchase your Sequoia at lease-end than it is worth on the open market. It wouldn't hurt to check and see what its purchase option price is, bur chances are it will be less expensive for you to turn it in and pay the penalty.

Car_man
    Host
  • angelap1angelap1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I guess that final value is what I'm worried about. I think my guaranteed value is around $22-$23,000, but the market for these has fallen apart! I checked Blue Book, and it listed it around $12,000 for trade in. I certainly don't want to buy it for $23,000.

I need to call toyota and see what my options are!
    thanks,
    angela
  • mogulbummmogulbumm Member Posts: 3
    You may even want to consider having them extend the lease a bit until the market comes back. Trade in values are horrible right now (so your buyout would be much higher than market value). Also, lease residuals are the worst I've seen in years. I was quoted 35% residual on the Sequoia yesterday (down from something like 52% last spring). I opted to purchase using the 0% financing in lieu of the $3K cash back since it was a better deal in the long term. I paid $1K below invoice.

Great time to buy but not lease, so if I were you I would wait until the market returns a bit and release.
    You're very welcome, Angela.

Car_man
    Host
  • calogero1calogero1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car Man (and everyone else),

I'm in PA and interested in leasing a 2008 Sequoia, either Platinum Edition (with Rear Seat Entertainment) or Limited Edition (with Navigation and Entertainment). I know I'd be better off buying at this time than leasing, but I have to lease due to business reasons.

I'm looking at 36 months (would do less if better lease offered), 15k miles/year. My question is, I've requested quotes from the 10 nearest delaers and have been quoted leases ranging from $1020/month (Platinum Edition, approximately $1000 due at signing) to $955/month (Limited Edition, approximately $1000 due at signing). Is this the best I can hope for, or is there a chance I can get down into the $800/month range with same amount due at signing?

I have a Land Rover LR3 ($735/month, paid about $1000 at signing) whose 2 year lease extension expires at the end of January, so I need to do something quick. My buyout on the Land Rover does not make sense in this market, plus I've had to have it serviced way too often to keep, so I am looking at something different. I need 7 seats as I have 3 small children. Was looking at the Infiniti QX56, but their lease rates were astronomical, so I turned to the Toyota Sequoia only to find they're not much better.

With that said, in addition to my question above, any recommendations for an SUV that comfortably fits 7 (i.e., SUV's like the Audi Q7 are way too cramped, yet I don't need a tank!) and has decent lease rates/deals I can take advantage of by the end of January (technically February 3rd)? I know the residual rates are driving these lease rates up and Car Man has advised others he would look for SUV's in the 45% and up residual rate category, but I can't seem to find those SUV's that fit my needs.

Sorry to be somewhat general about my situation, but I'm pulling my hair out and feeling stressed!!! Can anyone help!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

C
    Hi calogero1. If you want to lease a new truck right now, the Sequoia probably is not the model for you. Toyota is not providing lease support on the '08 Sequoia any longer. As a result, its money factors are not great and its residual values are terrible. $1,000 a month, or anything close to it, for any Toyota is absolutely nuts. There are a ton of luxury SUVs out there that you could lease for less than that.

While some are not enamored with its looks, if you want an SUV that comfortably fits seven people, take a look at the Mercedes-Benz R-Class. I've been in the back on one before and I was extremely surprised at how roomy it was. Mercedes- lease program on the R is not as good as it was, but it's still better than the crazy payment that you were quoted on the Sequoia.

Car_man
    Host
  • sequoiahuntersequoiahunter Member Posts: 11
    Hi Car man,

I know this has been asked a lot of times already. My lease on my SR5 2006 Sequoia is going to be up in May of this year and I know you have mentioned that the residual values are terrible right now on the 2008. So I'm wondering if it is just best wait it out till the lease is actually due to see if Toyota makes some kind of change and then make a decision. Since it doesn't look that good right now it looks like I should wait. I do like the new Sequoias and it has been dependable so I would like to stay with the Sequoia. But I don't want to get slammed with a horrible residual. I'm self-employed so I do right off the lease. I can buy out the 06 for $23195.00. I'm in San Jose, CA.
  • massguy2massguy2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi have 07 Lmted 4wd Seq. - have a little over 2 years left on lease (5 year lease) - paying $605/month - I am still not over my mileage allotment and love the car - does it make sense to try and buy it out now - or even roll over to a new car - not a sequoia but a sienna - family expanding again.

Thanks for any insight and/or experiences. I am in Massachusetts.
    Hi sequoiahunter. If you really have your heart set on leasing a Sequoia then you don't have a lot to lose by waiting. Toyota's lease program on it certainly won't get any worse between now and the end of May (its residual value percentages are quarterly). While unlikely, it is possible that Toyota would introduce lease support on the 2009 Sequoia in the near future. If the program doesn't change it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to lease to me to lease one.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi massguy2. If you love your Sequoia, why would you buy out the lease now? Chances are it would be fairly expensive to do so. Banks are much more likely to be willing to negotiate the purchase prices of leased vehicles at the end of their term. There's virtually no chance that Toyota Financial Services, or whichever bank you are leasing your Sequoia through, will work with you now.

Furthermore, the fact that you are leasing your truck actually provides you with some protection. In your Sequoia is involved in an accident at some point over the next two years and you're still leasing it, you can just return it to TFS at lease-end and let them take the hit for diminished value. If you own your truck, you will have to take the hit.

Also, who knows what will happen over the next two years. The price of gas could spike up a couple of dollars again and you might decide that you want a more fuel efficient vehicle than the Sequoia. Getting out of it in the event of a return of high gas prices will be a lot easier if you are leasing it.

What I'm trying to say is that continuing to lease provides you with flexibility that purchasing your vehicle doesn't.

Car_man
    Host
  • nohojonohojo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Sequoia SR5 with leather, Rear DVD entertainment, many other options with 38 K miles. I'm getting conflicting messages from a couple of local dealers (southeastern PA) about the value of this car on the market. The residual value per contract is $23500. Adding taxes and fees I would need to pay $25K. Is it a good deal?
  • maf1maf1 Member Posts: 17
    Car Man, have the leases for Sequoias improved for June? Do you know the RF and MF and if there is any support for the dealers? Thank you
    Hi maf1. Unfortunately, Toyota still is not providing lease support on the 2010 Sequoia. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease program. TFS' current buy rate lease money factor is .00265 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

this truck's residual values vary by trim level. If you describe the exact Sequoia that you are interested in, I would be happy to give you its current resid.

Car_man
    Host
  • edpliutxedpliutx Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

I am looking at leasing a base model 2010 Sequoia SR5 4x4 and was wondering how the residuals are as compared to past years. I was hoping that residuals were decent enough to allow me to lease this vehicle -- otherwise I'm gonna have to look at the...yawn....Sienna. Is Toyota throwing anything behind these vehicles either via boosted residuals or subsidized money factors?

Thanks!
  • jac1304jac1304 Member Posts: 33
    Seems like all the Sequoia's are sitting on lots around here. Any idea on thought if incentives are coming down the road in near future. Can't be a huge market for these with the price and no incentives. Thanks
  • cjo2009cjo2009 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, My 2006 Sequoia is coming off lease in December. I love this car and can buy it for $23K. I am not sure if that is a good deal or not. I was quoted around $850/mo to lease a new one. What are other good leasing alternatives for an SUV this size? I don't want to go over $500/mo.
    Hello edpliutx. Toyota's residual values are definitely much worse today than they were several years ago. Back then, most automakers were significantly overestimating the residual values for trucks, causing them to realize millions of dollars in losses when these vehicles came back off-lease.

Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the Sequoia. As a result, if you were to lease any 2010 Tree through Toyota Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor, which the last time I checked was .00265 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

TFS' current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the 2010 Sequoia SR5 4WD is 50%.

The problem is that Toyota's published residual values are for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized that make it difficult to calculate the actual dollar residual values for specific units, so much so that it provides dealers with a list of the actual dollar residuals for the units that they have in stock.

Car_man
    Host
  • bjordan1bjordan1 Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone provide a lease payment estimate on the Platinum Sequoia? 3 yrs 12k/yr.
  • curious39curious39 Member Posts: 2
    Curious what others negotiated for a Sequoia lease recently - monthly pmt + any cap cost reduction - excl any TTL? Focused on 36/39 month time frame and the SR5 or Limited 4wd version, 10K miles p.a., but interested in hearing about all deals, esp in if NY Metro region to triangulate on a good number. Thx in advance for the help.
  • monkeyshiftmonkeyshift Member Posts: 87
    yes, I second this...
  • mckele1mckele1 Member Posts: 5
    I was qouted for a 2010 limited with nav 36month 12k a year for $992.57 w/tax a month with $1415 down. Not a good deal to me. They told me no lease deals with toyota credit.
  • freezedogfreezedog Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know what the residuals and money factor are for a 2010 Sequoia Limited RWD for 36 or 39 months for 15,000 miles per year. Thanks in advance.
  • inlostangelesinlostangeles Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

We have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia, drove it off the lot new 01/2006. Mileage on it is 53K (03/01/2010) and our lease is up in 11 months now. Our monthly is $712.31. Upon reviewing our lease it has a Residual Value of $16,601.72.

Just before I sent off another payment I got these figures from TFS. If we were to buy out the lease TFS website shows $21,691.04 due even though our straight math 12 payments X $ 712.31 = $ 8,547.72 plus the Residual Value of $16,054.00 shows our balance owing should be $24,601.72. There is a $ 2,910.68 difference to our favor.

Currently a similar vehicle in :shades: California where we live (mileage make etc) was selling at a dealership for $22,774, another for $23,995.

A Kelly Blue Book Private party price with excellent condition on the vehicle lists it if Excellent $23,510 and if Good $22,260

The vehicle seems to have retained a good portion :) of its value since new 2010 Sequoias are selling for $39,980 (California).

Here are my questions:

We like the Sequoia, correction: make that love it (don't ask me about our Jeep :lemon: , or Ford Explorer :lemon: )

Would we be able to walk into the dealer in 11 months with a Cashier Check's in Hand at a firm $13,000.00? Or maybe a loan from our Credit Union still $13,000?

or is the $16,054.00 price etched in stone? We could just walk away from the dealer at the end anyway. I realize that were talking about almost a year's time but it is never too early to plan. We would like to keep the vehicle but are not "desperate" to do so either.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
  • inlostangelesinlostangeles Member Posts: 2
    Car Man are u there???
    Hi inlostangeles. Your truck's end of term purchase option price is between you and the bank that you are leasing it through. If you're interested in trying to negotiate your Sequoia's purchase price, place a call to Toyota Financial Services a month or two before the scheduled end of your lease and see if they are willing to work with you.

If your initial contact at TFS isn't willing or able to negotiate, you may have better luck working your way up the ladder to a manager. There's no guarantee that TFS will lower your Sequoia's purchase price, more often than not banks won't, but you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Car_man
    Host
  • bmwnewbie530ibmwnewbie530i Member Posts: 36
    Car Man,

Can you provide the residuals and money factors for Platinum @ 36 mos. and 39 mos. w/ 12,000 miles?
    Hi bmwnewbie530i. Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the Sequoia. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. The last time I checked, TFS' standard buy rate was .00255 for all terms for Tier 1+ customers.

TFS' current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the 2010 Sequoia Platinum 4WD is 41%. This truck's resid drops to 38% for 39 month leases.

The problem with these residual values is that they are for base vehicles. TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized, making it difficult for anyone but dealers to work up payments on specific units.

Car_man
    Host