Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• jteleskyjtelesky Member Posts: 13
    Big Dave and all the rest of the F 150 owners: Went through the whole process with my dealer and Ford. The vibration problem is called harmonics and Ford has serious design problems with the F-150. All else said the truck is an execellent vehicle. Solution...file for Lemon under your state guidelines. Make sure you keep very accurate records regarding repair attempts and outcome of each. Get repair invoices!!!!!!! Good luck to all and keep us all posted
  • jackaggiejackaggie Member Posts: 3
    Found this TSB from Ford which answers some questions and indicates that a new clutch pack in the limited slip is in order--not just adding some additive. Look at this link to get the TSB.

link title
  • vmatvmat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 F150 4.9L 2wd with a 5 speed manual. 100k miles. After driving for 10-15 miles, when shifting into 2nd and/or 3rd gear under load a loud screech from the transmission is heard. It does not do it when the vehicle is cold and as soon as you let off the gas or take it out of gear the sound stops. It also does not happen in 1st, 4th or 5th, although it feels like it is hitting a wall when you try to drive in 5th gear. The dealer says they can not find anything wrong with it. Has anyone else had something similar happen?

Thanks

Phil
  • cfriendcfriend Member Posts: 1
    I recently moved 1400 miles and all of a sudden my truck is loping runs good while driving but while idling sure runs bad, had tps , mas, o2sensors all replaced still have problem. will be replacing spark plugs. i too have the door ajar light and abs light on for the last 5 years. no problems though just annoying. can any one help me out at what might be the problem.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Sounds like a transmission bearing failure.
  • jleisjleis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 F250, I have been thru about 4 or 5 starters, anyone else? Also , this past winter, when I start it up it really smokes for quite along time when idling, any ideas?
  • innessinness Member Posts: 4
    I just took my 2005 F150 (Supercab 4X2, 5.4L)in for a serious problem with a vibrations in the chassis at certain speeds. It seemed that 50-55mph and 60-68mph cruising speeds are where it was mostly observed. Over a period of 1 year it became more constant / serious. It happens more often when you left off the gas at cruising speed for a few seconds then press it to maintain speed (before and just when it shifts back down to overdrive).
    The dealership came back and told the the whole rack and pinion system needs to be replaced. Acoording to wha the Ford Dealer told, the vibration is as you expected in your question I read. It will be interesting to see if this fixes the problem.
  • oldfordmanoldfordman Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my '91 F150 and I was just wondering if you figured out what the problem was yet.
  • jdfrmkyjdfrmky Member Posts: 15
    I've a 2004 F 150 37k miles 5.4 motor.I use the truck to cruise mostly.i've a driveability problem the dealer can't correct(check engine light does not pop on)and they do not have a fix from Ford.They corrected it once then the fix went away for a few days.Truck hesitates like a carburated vehicle with improperly set float level.You all think it would be worth it to reprogram with a power reprogrammer just to make it driveable as new?Anything would have to be better than going roundy round with the service department.I like the truck, not the way it runs.

This is a GREAT Forum for usable advice.thanks
  • nutcase76nutcase76 Member Posts: 1
    Is the 4x4 light coming on on the dash when you activate your switch? I have a 2002 that I just had that problem with. My electric switch motor was seized up on the transfer case. I got one from a junkyard from a 2005 and it works fine now. Ford wants over 500 for one but Auto zone has it for 185. If you're looking for it, it's on your transfer case with the two electrical harnesses connected to it. There are three bolts on the driver's side to remove it. Previously, I had a problem when the 4x4 lights would come on and I could hear the transfer case engage but no 4x4. One time the hub seals were bad and the other it was the pulse vacuum hub lock solenoid. But either way you can still have 4x4 by manually overriding your lockers. I know this is kind of long but if it helps someone save some money, it's worth it. If anyone has any questions feel free to email me, it's in my profile. Good luck
  • tebuckytebucky Member Posts: 1
    Hi jtelesky!!,
    I have a 2005 F-150 XLT 4.6L 4x4 that seems to pull to the left a lot and to right sometimes. The steering feels scratchy/grinding off and on (started around 3500 miles) and the truck has been aligned 3 times and has only 4600 miles on it. I think I have started to notice the steering wheel vibrate/shimmy very slightly on the highway around 60-65 mph. I don't have a good feeling about this anymore. What do you think?? Any advice , etc?????

Thank you very much ,
    Bill
  • kjvirtuekjvirtue Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 F250SD and have a few problems with 4 wheel actuation:
    You may want to check front lockouts. These are vacuum actuated, and prone to have the seals go out and back side of hub (I replaced my twice, lockouts went out both times because of rust). I now keep an eye on them ( I was slow to catch on). This can cause the lockouts to go out but I also had the vacuum lines get clogged with rust. I also replaced the shift motor once, but it sounds like its 'trying' to work. Are you sure its actually moving, and not binding up in transfer case.
  • shawnc2shawnc2 Member Posts: 12
    I recently had a problem with my parking brake and didn't see any specific posts addressing it, so I thought I give you guys some hints on it.

I have '02 XLT FX4 SC/flareside. I noticed my parking brake wouldn't hold as well, plus I was hearing a "clicking" sound at low speeds. Dealer pulled rear DS/checked u-joints, said everything was fine. A few weeks later (and about 500 miles out of warranty), went to use parking brake and pedal went to floor with no resistance. Went home and discovered both cables were off. Could hardly move the mechanism on backing plate where cable loops over. Pulled both rotors and found the mechanism that spreads the shoes was seized, plus the friction material was in pieces (clicking sound I was hearing). Was ticked at dealer for not finding and didn't feel like fighting, so I tackled this myself.

It's two metal plates that scissor the shoes out, bottom plate has a small pin that goes thru top plate. I disassembled, greased and got new shoes at Autozone for $18. Discovered the adjusting screw was siezed and I couldn't get it loose, plus rotor would not fit over new shoes. The toothed portion is more like a bolt. Couldn't bust it loose with PB blaster or heat.

Went to dealer, can't get JUST that part. They only sell entire backing plate assembly ($150), but said since I only needed the adjuster, that maybe they could knock a few dollars off (gee, thanks).

Found the adjuster at Advance auto, but it was a special order and took two days to come in. They were $5 a piece.

Hope this is helpful to anyone with parking brake hang ups. I have a friend who had same problem with his Expedition.
  • howard15howard15 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any way to tell if my '95 F350 had a keyless entry remote at one time?
  • moderatemoderate Member Posts: 8
    Wow, I've been looking through these different vehicle postings. I looked at Toyota and Nissan & I've been supprised how many of the Ford Posts for Problems are from back in the 90's and the 80's. And how few are from recent builds! I think I just decided to go with Ford. Everyone I talk to says it lasts & Lasts, I guess this is just one more indication!
    Maybe you should look a little further back in this forum. My view, formed over the last few years, is the complete opposite of yours! :(
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Mac24, I have to agree with you on this point. Moderate also needs to note the types of problems with each make.....Seems that some were minor annoyances at best but plenty of them and other makes were some really major problems without much dealer support.
  • shineshine Member Posts: 20
    I am looking at a 2006 F 150 XLT with snow plow prep package. I am trading in a 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi in hopes of getting maybe 15 miles per gallon instead of 11 Does Anyone think this is possible or just about same as Ram
  • ccunninghamccunningham Member Posts: 3
    What is the proper torque for the oil drain plug on a 2006 4.6L engine
    It will not be repaired to your satisfication. Read all about the problems.........
    Tebucky: I have gone through all possible attempts to repair my 05 150, My advice file for lemon with proper records. By the way my dealer tried their very best but once again it is an engineering problem that Ford knows about. Create a good situation with your dealership and they should help in this matter. Do not accept the answer that the truck is heavy duty and it is the nature of the beast. Good luck and do your homework.....
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Shine
    What size truck? What size engine? What drivetrain?
  • jlcjlc Member Posts: 30
    Hi everyone, I am thinking about buying an 06 F150 XLT Supercab, but after reading all the vibration problems am not sure I want to take the chance. I really like the truck. Has anyone heard of the problem with the 06's ?
    thanks
    Joe
  • hipstrahipstra Member Posts: 4
    Vibration caused by clutches in posi-traction rear end was resolved by the dealer in Durham, NC. Dealer replaced clutch pack under warranty and no vibration has returned after 1 week. Much smoother operation overall.

Many thanks to Jackaggie for supplying the TSB(See message #'s 1838/1840). I offered the TSB to the Dealer but they were familiar with the problem. Now checking for any leaks at the rear end. Ford is trying to offer reliable trucks but has a ways to go.
  • rguyer2rguyer2 Member Posts: 1
    OKAY BOYS, Anyone with an F series or E-150, 250, 350 try and figure this one out??? 1996 Ford E-350 460 V-8 super duty... alternator replaced a year and a half ago 130 amps, and replaced feb,14,2006. new battery feb,14,2006... to start with voltage gauge inside shows about 10 volts, it use to show 14.5 before the van died last week. now with a new battery and new alt, voltage is lower, amp light comes on, then all systems start to slowly shut down, abs light comes on, overdrive light flashes, tranny starts to shift hard or not at all, then dies after about 4 miles of driving... So it's telling me that the voltage has droped so low anything electrical is now done for!!! I checked the alternator with a voltage meter and it showing only 11.5 volts going back to the battery... I checked the new battery and it's showing about 11.75 volts. Whats the problem? (1.)Voltage regulator on alternator, (2.) brushes in alternator, (3.) or is there some other problem??? all wires have been checked and are in good shape. all fuses have been pulled and current is flowing through 3 large 60 amp fuse busses under the hood in the data control box, with the key in the off position??? anybody else have one of these peices of crap!!! rguyer1@yahoo.com
  • mmcdonaldmmcdonald Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My 1991 F150 XLT Lariat, usually very dependable, would not start yesterday. There was no inside light and the gauges did not work. I took battery and had tested and then replaced. The truck started and ran for 30 seconds and then died. I started a second time with same result. This morning I went out and tried to start. This time, no lights or movement of gauges. I crossed the cellenoid and no sparks. Looking forward to help from someone with more knowledge of trucks than I possess. Thank you. Mike
  • roberts17roberts17 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2005 crewcab in august. I noticed that it had a slight something in the frontend but the dealer said that it was because the truck had been sitting on the lot and after driving it it would work out. It did. When I rotated the tires at 5000 miles it has a definite shimmy at 43 to 53 and again in the 60's but it is variable. The dealership force balanced it, then put on different tires, then put a stabalizer on the rear frame and it still shimmys or vibrates. The area ford representative told me it drove like a new one, so I have filed for arbritation. We meet this week. Any advice? Should I skip the arbritation and hire an attorney?
  • roberts17roberts17 Member Posts: 2
    I could not in good conscience recommend anyone purchase a ford f150 crewcab 4 wheel drive. Mine has a shimmy- vibration and ford doesn's seem concerned. Says it "drives like a new one" referred me to arbritation. I recommend those that have it follow the recommended procedure, file for arbritation, then if not happy, file suit. good luck
  • sammyboysammyboy Member Posts: 2
    For years I have always been a Ford person even sold Ford Trucks a few years ago. I just bought a 2006 F150 King Ranch. I test drove a couple prior to buying mine and liked them over the Tundra's. However now that I have bought my own the ride is a bad one. When I hit a bump in the road it hits hard shaking the whole truck for a few seconds, just kind of a hit and quick vibration. I thought it was the 20" tires but have talked to others and they have had no problems. I have about 2,000 miles on the truck. I don't look forward to driving the truck anymore unless I know I'm going to be going down a smooth road and there's not many of those around. Sometimes when I push on the brakes it will pull to the left and maybe the next time to the right, what's all that about? I gave up my F350 power stroke for a more comfortable riding truck but I'm having second thoughts about what I did. Any ideas.. Am I the only one with these kind of problems?
    Am I the only one with these kind of problems?

Absolutely not! Read back through this forum to see your story repeated over, and over, and over, and over again! :sick:
  • sammyboysammyboy Member Posts: 2
    I had the same thing on my 2002 F350 power stroke. About once a year you have to have the rear spine going into the read end greased. The first time mine was on warrantee, the second time it cost me $120.00. Doesn't that make you fill good that you will have to pay for that every year. How long has Ford been making trucks, never used to have that type of probem on trucks years ago. And to think I just traded my F350 for a F150
  • rollerdriverrollerdriver Member Posts: 3
    I am having trouble with my egr valve from what i have been reading.Years ago on gas powered trucks i wouldnt have to ask this question but were is it located on my 2004 f 250 :confuse: .Thanks for the help.
  • jpcv7jpcv7 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of months ago my 78 F250 wouldn't start. Thinking that I had flooded it I just left is sit and caught a ride to work. When I got home she fired right up. This happed several times, but was no big deal. Last week it happened again but this time the truck wouldn't start when I got home.

I pulled one plug and found that it wouldn't spark while the truck was cranking, but would spark just as I stopped turning the truck over. At one point it actually started with the plug out. When I replaced the plug it wouldn't fire.

I changed the ignition module and she fired up. I got about a half mile from the house only to have the truck die. I pulled over, stopped, turned the key and it fired off and I drove to work. One of the quick connects on the coil was loose so I tightened it up when I got to work.

The next day it did the same thing twice coming home. Then last night it died in the driveway and would not come back to life. I swapped the coil, ignition module, ignition switch, harness from the ignition module to the distributor, cleaned the cap and rotor - no life. I've got power to the coil, but no spark.

It was cold and snowing today so I decided not to pull the distributor which would be my next move. The engine only has about 40K on it so the distributor is pristine inside.

Anyone out there gone through this drill?

Thanks,

John
    You are correct about this problem not being repaired. My truck has been in the shop for 28 days as of today. It has already met 1 of 3 criteria for the Lemon law in the state of VA, and Thursday it will meet 2 of the 3 criteria. I don't plan on dealing with Ford anymore with this problem except on getting my $$$ back.
    So far they have replaced the Rack & Seal steering system and the drive shaft. Now the truck rides much worse than before. I left the truck with them and said that I won't pick it up until it's fixed correctly. The service department is treating me like some idiot giving me all the excuses that I should return their loaner car and pick up my truck. My wife was dealt with in a rude manner by the service representative when they contacted her instead of myself. The proper paperwork is being sent registered mail today to Ford Motor Co., the dealership and VA Consumer Affairs. This is the only way to get closure on this issue.
    Ford engineers know of this problem and still haven't developed a fix. Stay away from Ford F-150's.
    I think that you have made the right choice. Look at what my Ford dealership has done. I'm done dealing with them myself. Below is the posting I put out today, and if you read the back on some other postings we are not alone.

You are correct about this problem not being repaired. My truck has been in the shop for 28 days as of today. It has already met 1 of 3 criteria for the Lemon law in the state of VA, and Thursday it will meet 2 of the 3 criteria. I don't plan on dealing with Ford anymore with this problem except on getting my $$$ back.
    So far they have replaced the Rack & Seal steering system and the drive shaft. Now the truck rides much worse than before. I left the truck with them and said that I won't pick it up until it's fixed correctly. The service department is treating me like some idiot giving me all the excuses that I should return their loaner car and pick up my truck. My wife was dealt with in a rude manner by the service representative when they contacted her instead of myself. The proper paperwork is being sent registered mail today to Ford Motor Co., the dealership and VA Consumer Affairs. This is the only way to get closure on this issue.
    Ford engineers know of this problem and still haven't developed a fix. Stay away from Ford F-150's.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I recently bought a new 06 Silverado Z71 crew cab. I had a hefty GM card rebate, which influenced my decision to buy a Chevy. However, I was strongly considering an F150 4X4 crew cab, because several of my coworkers have older models and are very happy with them. Now, after reading about these vibration issues, I am glad I did not buy a Ford. I hope that Ford will come up with a permanent fix quickly. New full size trucks are not cheap to buy anymore and with today's technology, people deserve better quality than this.
    For ten years I drove a 1995 Nissan V6 4X4 pickup and the truck was extremely reliable. Practically nothing went wrong in 10 years and A/C was blowing just as cold when I sold it as on the day I bought it. Never touched it in 10 years! Now I am worried that I too have made a mistake buying an American truck. Only time will tell.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Want my opinion on Continental tires? Absolute junk. I had throw away a set of 4 Continental CH95s on my Mazda 626 because they literally fell apart. Has loose belts or something like that. I bought two new ones later and they were both totally out of round. My friend had the same problem with a set of C95s he bought for his Mazda Miata. he threw them away as well.

I never had larger picup truck/SUV Continental tires, but if the quality control is the same as on the passenger car tires, they must be awful.
    In addition to its other problems, the F150 is now second only to the Kia Rio for having the worst residual value. After three years it's projected to be worth only 28.7% of its original cost.

Cars.com
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The XL is the worktruck version which people don't want after they have been beat up for 3 years. The XLT, STX, Lariat etc. must be worth more than 32.2% and more than the fullsize Chevy 1500. Its 33-52% for the other models on that same website.
  • wholeshottwholeshott Member Posts: 1
    I change my trucks front breaks about three months ago. Today I had to put a new set on because the other set got dusted. Now I notice that the brakes slitly stay on when I drive. What could cause this problem. Anybody else ever expirience this. Please contact me at wholeshott22@yahoo.com
  • 1naplay1naplay Member Posts: 1
    And I thought I was the only one who was going through this. I had bought a 2005 F150 .. I started experiencing this problem about 5K miles ago. 4 Trips to the dealer and all I get is "there is nothing wrong" "It's a Ford and all Ford's vibrate.. kinda feels like it's missing" Heck yea, it missing, but there are no codes showing up.. or that is what I've been told. .. anybody out there have a clue as to what this could be? I had heard a rumour that Ford has dropped Bosch as their injector supplier due to drop in QA.. could there be some correlation?!??!
  • jdfrmkyjdfrmky Member Posts: 15
    I've an 04 F150 5.3 38k miles.same idling rough running as you describe.The computer was re programmed and truck ran as new then the fix "went away".Dealer tells me problem is check engine light does not come on to point to the problem,at least in my case.Motor Trend long term f150 had similar problem their vehicle re programmed and fixed(of course).
    Ford has all this new found religion for new product but that religion does not include customer support for what is out there.sad,real sad.
  • tjackson2tjackson2 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone heard or read anything about the 5.3 F150 blowing out spark plugs and Ford and extended warrentees not covering the problem. I have a 04 fx4 and heard a rumor last night from a questionable source
  • tjackson2tjackson2 Member Posts: 19
    Since my post 1881 about my 04 5.4 fx4,I found out from consumeraffairs.com ford has been spitting plugs from their alum heads, primarily cylinder 3 Has anyone heard this
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    It does happen, but from what I've heard, it's not the norm.
    Evidently, head is thin, so that only 4-5 threads of sparkplug do all the holding. Talking to service tech at my dealer, he said "they get a handful each year for the past few years." Some were on low mileage vehicles, others with a lot.
    Boils down to having the plugs installed at proper torque setting. (Don't have my shop manual at hand so I don't remember what they spec for my 6.8L, V10) If they're too tight, plug could tear the threads in the head. Too loose and plug backs off. Either way it could spit the plug. When that happens many times the head can't be fixed with a Helicoil, etc., so it's $$$ to repair.
    Plugs are good for 100K, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be inspected and retorqued during that time. Probably should be done as part of normal maintenance on these engines. I did mine at 30K miles, all was fine, but it's tedious on a V10.
  • greyannegreyanne Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 F150 extended cab. My ABS Fuse blows when I turn over the ignition. It takes a 15amp, but blows that size immediatly and a 10 amp seems to last through two or three starts, which just doesn't make sense because that allows less current through.

Anyone have this problem before?
    Any thoughts?
  • shoey1966shoey1966 Member Posts: 1
    truck feels really rough when accelerating, gets smoother when speed settles out? changed drive shaft coupling, universal joints feel tight and greesed? any ideas, thankyou.
    f150 extended cab, 351w, auto
  • hyrkhyrk Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with climate control. I found also that my 4x4 was not working. Both these items work off the vacuum pump, i found a leak in my front driver side wheel hub. A temporary fix was to pull the vacuum hose off the hub and put a bolt in it to seal the rest of the systm. I am in the process now of replacing all my frontend seals.
  • pllangpllang Member Posts: 3
    Jackaggie,

I'm having had the exact problem with my 2004 F150 4x2. This morning hopped in the truck and no reverse gear, its in the shop now, 37,000 miles so I'm probably screwed. I'll let you know what the dealer says today,
  • jor9500jor9500 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 F250 that was pulling hard to the left during moderate braking. I immediately suspected the right caliber was frozen or stuck. During inspection with the wheel and tire off, I had someone apply pressure to the pedal while I manually rotated the rotor. There was little resistance. I removed and replaced the caliper. I did not replace the pads because they were practically new, approx 3/8" thk and balanced both sides. While bleeding the brakes, I noticed the left side caliper (still OE) bleed off pressure was very high. In fact, it shot out and hit the top of the wheel well. The right side and both rears had the standard amount of bleed off pressure once the air was removed from the line. This struck me as odd but did not give it much more thought. Drove the truck and everything seemed fine. After a few days, the truck is pulling hard again to the left. This time, it is squeeling big time. I can't figure out why it would be doing this again? The bleed pressures are obviously the culprit. The left side has probably 3x the pressure over the same piston area, thus 3x the braking force. But why??? I don't have a good understanding of how the ABS system distributes pressures so the answer must lie in there somewhere. One more observation, the ABS light has been coming off and on for several months now. I thought it was a short, but now I am beginning to think it is related. Any have this issue or thoughts??? Thanks...
This discussion has been closed.