Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Comments

• stumpjumper1stumpjumper1 Member Posts: 5
    Guys,

What would be the absolute best price and also a good price to lease a 2012 VW GTI, 4Dr w/ Convenience and Sunroof for 36 months and 12,000 miles/yr? I want to lease a GTI but don't want to rush for a crappy deal. According to KBB, MSRP is $27,770 and Fair Price is $27,201. I would appreciate your responses.

Thanks !
    NYCwhatever, I do not see anywhere for dealer contribution for $3000, where are you reading those fine prints?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here's the information that you're looking for abd4. Volkswagen Credit's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Jetta GLI with 15,000 miles per year are .00013 and 54% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Volkswagen is providing $250 cash on leases of this car with automatic transmissions and it is waiving the first month's payment as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi Earlbiggs. Yes, that is the correct lease money factor for all GTI models through the end of the year, unless Volkswagen makes some sort of unscheduled enhancement.

Car_man
    Host
  • mwlim12mwlim12 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Stumpjumper 1 -

If you're looking for the best price on a VW GTI my recommendation is basically to run the numbers yourself on what the lease payment should be for that particular GTI. All the invoice numbers are available on Edmunds and US News World Report - just find out the residual & money factor, plug in the Invoice cost and that's it. Use the Edmunds lease calculator or do the math manually using the forumula they provide. That will provide a good target price. There are also a few fees - Destination & bank acquisition - which you can try to negotiate for the dealer to cover, but that's your call. Dealers also get rebates from the manufacturer, so you can also try to squeeze that out of them.

Just this weeked I leased a 2013 GTI 4 Door on a 42 month lease w/15,000 miles. Dealer initially told me it'd be $367/month, but I ran the numbers myself and came up with $322/month. I pretty much told him that's what I'm comfortable paying and if he can meet that price I'd come straight down to sign. After some back and forth he finally agreed.

Oh, one other suggestion: unless you get a thrill out of face to face negotiations then do this over the phone. Once you're at the dealer you're on their turf. Better to be on the phone and if they hit you with a curve ball you can tell them you'll call back and consult the internet to see if they're pulling your leg.
    Hi Car_Man,

What is the residual and money factor for 2013 VW GTI 4dr Convenience/ Sunroof package for 12,000 mile and 36 months lease? I would really appreciate if you provide me this no please.

Thanks
    Hello stumpjumper1. Volkswagen Credit's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Convenience / Sunroof with 12,000 miles per year are .00120 and 56% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • hai975hai975 Member Posts: 26
    Hi car_man,

I'm looking at leasing a 2012 VW GTI Autobahn with DSG, MSRP $32,735 and negotiated price $27,685. For 36 months lease, 12,000 miles/year dealer asks for lease factor of 0.00125 and residual value of 49%. Down payment of $1400, including DMV fees, acquisition fee and security fee. Please let me know if this is a good deal or not. Thank you in advance.

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

Andrei
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Payment amount?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

$387 + tax, total $409/month

Thank you.
    Hi Andrei. The money factor that you were quoted seems way out of whack to me. Through 2nd (today) VW Credit's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 GTI Autobahn with 12,000 miles per year are .00008 and 49% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

As far as this car's selling price goes, there is a gap of around $1,750 or so including incentives between this car's MSRP and dealer invoice price. I don't see how you are getting such a huge discount on this car.

Of course, the huge money factor mark-up that's going on is probably part of the reason, but this seems like a very strange deal to me. Having said that, the payment that you were quoted seems reasonable to me for this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you! I wanted to get a lower money factor and they did not go for it. So I went to another dealer who had a 2013 GTI autobahn with the 0/0/0 lease for 42 month. Monthly payment came at $350 + tax. Love the car!
  • cal2000cal2000 Member Posts: 10
    Nice. Was it a 4 door or a 2 door model? What was the drive-off amount? Just fees and DMW registration perhaps? Any accessories included? Thanks.
    4 door with DSG transmission. The drive off amount was only fees and DMV registration.
    You're very welcome hai975. Enjoy your new GTI!

Car_man
    Host
  • dima11dima11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car man,

Could you please tell me the MF and Residual for 36 month/15k miles per year lease on a 2013 GTI 4dr Base with DSG transmission? MSRP is $26,490.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • deetledeetle Member Posts: 1
    If I can get a 2012 Mercedes E Class whose MSRP is $68000 for 0 down $560 a month for a 3 year lease , I sure should be able to get a VW whose MSRP is less then %50 percent of that for %50 percent of the monthly payment.

So any one paying more then $300 a month on a $0 down lease for a measly $34000 MSRP car is getting ripped of by the manufacture and dealer or has bad credit. Rule of thump for a $0 down lease is that if you are paying more then a $1 a month for for every $100 of car something wrong. The car doesn't hold its value , bogus residual value from dealer , bad money factor , ...

But no innovative for VW to improve their financing terms as long as people are wiling to pay $2 a month or every $1 of car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    edited January 2013
    I think you are picking one single expensive car... that has great lease deals on it (for now)...

The typical $68K car leases for $800-$1000 per month...

So, not exactly apples to apples...

$1/mo. per $100 of MSRP is an admirable goal, but hard to come by.... Maybe 5% of vehicles can be leased for that amount.. (those are the ones I like, though)

Good luck! :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• donuschakdonuschak Member Posts: 7
    Hi Carman,

Could you provide me with current lease rates for a 2012 2-door GTI. Looking for 36 mo./10k lease; MSRP $29,985, dealer offered $27,487.

Thanks!
    Greetings Dave. Volkswagen Credit's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Base with 15,000 miles per year are .00054 and 53% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi donuschak. Volkswagen pulled the plug on its lease support on 2012 models. If you really want to lease, you would be better off going with a 2013 model.

Car_man
    Host
  • cambiamentocambiamento Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

Thanks so much for all your insight, very very informative site and these lease blogs are awesome.

Question:

What are with current lease rates for a 2013 4-door GTI Autobahn. Looking for 36 mo. 12k maybe 15k mile lease?

Was quoted the following and it seemed high to me.

MSRP $31,600, offered $30,420. 36 month, MF .00168 Residual 55% $3,500 down leaving me with a monthly @ $416

Thanks!
  • buyinggtibuyinggti Member Posts: 1
    hi guys

first time posting. i've been reading this forum for the last hour and failing algebra 1 in high
    school does not help me understand any of this, so please help!
    heres my situation. already have two cars in the house, but i always wanted to drive a manual gti and wife finally agreed! when i told her about 1999 down 36 months $289 deal thats going on.
    she wants me to do 2 year lease, and checking some of my nearest dealers inventory. i found these two with the color option that i want
    msrp 27,405
    msrp 31,025

i want to do 2 year lease with 10,000 or 12,000 mile lease with 1999 down.
    how much monthly payment should i be paying or ask dealer for realistically, when i call them?

my situation is all dependent on what my wife thinking process. seems like the consensus here is 0 down but she does not seem to mind 2000 down pay, so given the scenario that im willing to downpay 2000 including taxes fees, etc. what should my monthly payment be?

i know i am clueless, but any input would be appreciated! thx
  • pawesnerpawesner Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    Hello Car_man,

I leased the 2013 GTI Autobahn on 1/18/13 in Huntington Beach California. I have excellent credit (over 800). The total price was $32,760. My lease is 36 months & 15,000 miles per year. I put 0 down and am paying $599/month. Is this a fair deal? Thank you.
  • saladariiisaladariii Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I was asking for $0 down and got the following prices from Galpin VW in van nuys.

42 Months 36 Months Down Payment
    396.41 427.53 750

The 750 covers first month's payment and fees.

I think that's extremely high. GTI doesn't have great lease deals currently though but you could technically buy a 2012 GTI Autobahn with 0% APR for that price and with additional 2 years of payment you could have owned the car. :)

What is your residual?
    The risidual is $17,362.80. I just saw on the paperwork that the Adjusted Capitalized Cost is $37,522.74. My sticker price was $32,760.00. Is that normal???
    Hi again Saladariii,

1) So your offer was was for the 2013 GTI Autobahn? (Sticker $32,760)
    2) Was it for 15,000 miles?
    3) $750 Down & $427.53/month for 36 months?

I need to contact McKenna and dicuss my lease. Thanks for your help!
    You're very welcome cambiamento. Thank you for the kind words.

Volkswagen Credit's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Autobahn 4-door with 15,000 miles per year are .00068 and 53% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

$3,500 is too much money to put down on a lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man: You wrote: Volkswagen Credit's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Autobahn 4-door with 15,000 miles per year are .00068 and 53% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

This is exactly what I want. I am top tier credit. What should the payment be on 0 down? My sticker price is $32,760. They quoted me $599.00/month.
    Hi pawesner. This car's payment will depend upon what its selling price is. Do you have a selling price in mind?

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_man, thanks for the reply! The sticker price is $32,760 but they say they have a $3000 dealer equipment addition (even though they don't add any additional equipment)??? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
  • whatevernycwhatevernyc Member Posts: 1
    pawesner, that is a terrible deal. You can negotiate a lease's sale price just like purchasing a car otherwise, so never settle for MSRP. As for the $3,000 additional equipment, it sounds like they are simply taking advantage of you and have lined their pockets. If you already signed, it's too late.
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    Car Man,

Could you give me the best numbers (36, 39, 42 months) for a GTI autobahn 4 door automatic (DSG) with 10K miles per year?

What are the residuals and money factors?

Thanks,

Bo
    You're welcome pawesner. The MSRP is one important number, the selling price is the other. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. If you let me know what selling price you are shooting for, I can work up a sample payment on this car for you. I personally would shoot for a selling price of $500 over invoice. You can look up the invoice price of this care in the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site.

$3,000 in dealer-added accessories is absurd. What in the heck are they claiming that they put on this car?

Car_man
    Host
    Hey Bo. Volkswagen Credit's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Autobahn 4-door with 10,000 miles per year are .00068 and 56% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39-month lease are .00161 and 54%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42-month lease are .00161 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
  • sergojinsergojin Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,

Can you please let me know what are the residual value and money factor for 36-month lease of 2013 2-door VW GTI (Base with convenience package and Moonroof). Can you please send numbers for 12kmiles/year and 15kmiles/year.

I contacted local dealer and he claims for 12k/year Residual Value of $15,213 and Money Factor of .00088. Invoice for this vehicle is 26400 and MSRP is 27600. His offer is $359/month with $2000 down payment. I think this is way too much and it should be ~320/month. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    Car Man,

Kindly give us the money factor/residual for 2013 GTI autobahn DSG/4door leases for 36 months/10k/12K miles.

Thank you kindly,

Bo
    Hi sergojin. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Base with 15,000 miles per year are .00036 and 52% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

The money factor that you were quoted is definitely too high. Having said that, I love the GTI but I've always found it to be a tad more than I wanted to pay to lease one so it's not the greatest vehicle in the world from a lease value perspective. Oh that and I had a couple of kids and it's not very big ;).

Car_man
    Host
    Certainly Bo. VW Credit's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Autobahn with 12,000 miles per year are .00050 and 54% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • blatz1blatz1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 2013 GLI base and I love the car. Only problem is that I regret getting an auto (my first car). I'm dying to drive a manual because autos are beyond boring. I got the car mid Oct. 2012 and only have 1700 miles on it. 3 year lease. How much do you think it would cost in penalties, well in total, to swap my current car, which looks brand new, with a lease for a GTI manual base? Thanks
    Hi blatz1. It would probably cost A LOT to get out of this lease right now, even if you do want to get another VW. If VW Credit allows it, you could try to find someone to assume your current lease, but there's not really any reason for someone to do so when they could get a brand new car on their own for around the same price, so you likely would have to throw some cash out there.

It's probably not worth the expense to try to switch to a manual.

Car_man
    Host
  • drbyfdrbyf Member Posts: 1
    Hi Carman, I was wondering what you thought about a 2000$ down, total, including all fees, tax, registration etc, for 36 mo at 12K/yr at 300$/mo. thanks!
  • eduar118eduar118 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Car Man, I want to know the money factor and the residual value for GTI 36m/10k - for the autobahn, sunroof and nav and the sunroof and convenience. Also what is the % of profit, around 10-15%?. I live in Miami FL
  • eduar118eduar118 Member Posts: 5
    Car Man can you please give me the money factor for 36m/10k for autobahn 2dr
    Hi drbyf. Do you happen to know that this car's MSRP and selling price are? Those figures would make it much easier for me to evaluate this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello eduar118. Volkswagen Credit's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI Autobahn with sunroof, navigation, convenience and 10,000 miles per year are .00050 and 55% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

You can look up exactly how much of a spread there is between this car's MSRP and dealer invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Eduar118, please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for.

Car_man
    Host
  • jonathannycjonathannyc Member Posts: 12
    Hi Carman! because of you I negotiated an insane deal on my Odyssey (got it for 8K off MSRP!) now to do the same with this bad boy.

looking at a 4 door Manual Transmission GTI with Navigation and Sunroof **NOT the autobahn edition)

looking for MF and residual.

15,000 miles.

quick question. do they do higher mileage leases? like say 20k/year? is that something that can be done? (obviously it can be done but is there a formula to calculate lease residuals on something like that?)

as always thanks CarMan!
  • carbonrcarbonr Member Posts: 1
    Hi Carman, would you know the residual and money factor for 2013 Golf R 4-door with navigation, 15,000/year, 24-month lease? Many thanks in advance.
    That's great news about the Odyssey, jonathannyc. Let's see what we can do for you on the GTI.

Volkswagen Credit's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 GTI 4 door with sunroof, navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00095 and 51% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I believe that 15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that VW Credit publishes residual values for. If so and you need to drive more than that, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.