Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• cea3cea3 Member Posts: 5
    I went to sign my lease deal this morning, but something looked fishy. My dealer said that the taxes were included in the monthly payment of $199, but it was not stated that way on my contract. It said "monthly sales tax" was N/A. but under "Itemization of Gross Capitalized Cost" sales tax was listed as $587.76. Then under "Estimated official fees and taxes" it stated $1366.76 was either included in my monthly payment or assessed otherwise. Where the hell do they get this $1366.76 number from? Where do they get the 587.76 tax amount from?

I'm in NJ and the taxes are 7%. My residual is $12,595.

The language is so weird to me. I have leased Honda's before but never had this problem. Can someone help me understand how I will know if my $199 payment includes tax like my dealer says, or that I will be screwed somehow in the end paying hidden fee's and taxes.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    NJ taxes the total of payments.. (so, 7% of around $7200). It's paid upfront... either by you, or by the bank, who then includes the tax payment into the CAP cost (meaning it's paid by you within the monthly payment).

There is also an acquisition fee from the bank... usually it's $595-$795, depending on the bank... and, that's probably part of that $1366 number (along with the tax)..

Just call up the dealer and ask for an itemization for the $1366.. probably includes tax, acq.fee and registration/title.. I was under the impression that NJ had gone to collecting the first three or four years of registration upfront... but, I could be wrong about that...

Nothing seems out of whack, from what you've shown, so far..

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cac101cac101 Member Posts: 2
    2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen S (Stock #11598)

- Platinum Gray Metallic

- Automatic Transmission

- MSRP: $21,865

VW March Selling Price for Lease: $20,271

Residual Value: 53%

Money Factor: 0.00073

2011 Sportwagen S w/ Automatic Transmission

36 Months - 10k miles per year with $1469 TOTAL DOWN = $264 per month + tax (with tax = $280/month) *everything included*

$625 Acqusition Fee

$399 Documentation Fee

$125 MA Registration Fee

$280.97 First Month Payment

$39.06 Tax on Cap Cost Reduction

I have a trade and it is fully paid off MPV 2003 LX with 50,500 miles on it and good condition. I am seeing any where from 2,500-4,500 for value. So would this amount then get taken off the lease sale price of $20,271 when I bring it in? Thanks for the help.

I like the car but still having a hard time giving up the extra row of seating but the mileage with MPV is horrible.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello tstraub. Volkswagen Credit's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sedan SE with convenience, sunroof, and 12,000 miles per year are .00077 and 55%, respectively.

Volkswagen is currently providing a $250 cash incentive on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi mylesm01. Please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for. VW Credit's 10,000 mile per year residual values are 1% higher than its 12,000 mile per year residuals.

Car_man
    Host
  • fuqelefuqele Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I'm a 21 year-old student, and I'm thinking about leasing a Jetta. Is it going to be a problem that I don't have much income? My mom is going to be paying most of the money. Does she need to come with me to the dealers?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to return the car in other states? I go to school in California, but I'm from Wisconsin. I'm graduating in 15 months-ish, and I am probably going back home after graduation. I've been thinking what's the best way to do this. I could either only lease the car for 12 months, lease the car for 24 months and return it in Wisconsin (if possible), or lease the car for 36 months and try to sell the lease to other people when I have to leave California. I think the last option would be ideal, but I'm not sure how easy it is to sell leases. Leasing for 12 months only, I think, significantly increases the monthly payment. What would you guys suggest?

Lastly, these might be silly questions, what is the difference between SE and SEL? Does California require you to get the PZEV one? (I think I read it somewhere.) And what is the convenience package?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time getting a car :D

Hi fuqele. If you don't have much income or much of a credit history, your Mom will likely have to lease the car for you or at least co-sign your lease.

It will likely be prohibitively expensive to lease a car for 12 months. It will even be expensive to lease one for 24 months, but it would likely be doable. The ideal lease term is around 36 months. That term provides the best balance of payment and flexibility. Don't plan on being able to get out of the lease a year early without having to pay money to do so.

You can lease your car in California and return it at a Volkswagen dealer in Wisconsin or vice versa. You may only be able to get a PZEV at California dealers, but you won't be prohibited from driving a non-PZEV vehicle lease out of state in California.

Car_man
    Host
  • deal_finderdeal_finder Member Posts: 3
    Visited a Volkswagon Dealer in Greenwich, CT. Was presented a 36 month lease offer on a Jetta with a 10,000 mileage allowance. I told the salesperson I needed 15,000 per year. The salesman said that total cost of the lease would increase by 5000 miles x .20 per mile x 3 years, or $3,000.

Is this the correct way to adjust for increase in mileage allowance? Why would anyone pay all that up front, when VW will charge $.20 per mile over 10,000 at lease end? Something is wrong here? Is the sales person trying to stick it to me?
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    deal finder,

Yup, something seems to have gone awry. The calculation is correct. And, what ordinarily happens is that you can pre-pay the $3,000 (bad idea) or, it can be deducted from the residual value based on 10K annual miles. The result is called the adjusted residual value. So, if the 10K residual amounts to $14,000, then the 15K residual amounts to $11,000. However, because you're pre-paying the mileage, the mileage rate should be discounted to something less than $.20 per mile as this awfully high. It makes absolutely no sense to prepay mileage today at the same rate that would be paid 3 years hence. Also, many fund providers have a residual factor for 15K miles which is usually around three percentage points lower than the 10K residual factor. It may very well be the case, though, that 10K is their standard baseline usage and so they may not have a residual factor for a 15K lease. In such instances, they would use a prepaid excess mileage rate. This rate should be in the neighborhood of about $.15; not $.20.

Hope this helps

John
    The Auto Lease Geek
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    That's not right...

If it's a VW Finance lease, the 15K residual will be exactly 3% of MSRP less than the 10K residual..

So, if the Jetta had an MSRP of $20K, then the residual would be $600 lower....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited March 2011
    deal finder:

Read my example again. I never ever said that using percentages would NOT result in the 15K residual being x% of the MSRP less than the 10K residual. Of course it would assuming, course that the differential between 15K and 10K is, ineed, x%. So, your example is correct.

John
    The Auto Lease Geek
  • bclearbclear Member Posts: 8
    What are the April residuals and money factors for

SE (w/ Con. and Sun.) (manual trans) @ 15k miles/year for 36 and 48 month leases
    SEL (manual trans) @ 15k miles/year for 36 and 48 month leases
  • nocntysdnocntysd Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any information on what a 36month/36k lease pmt should be on this vehicle. I only want to pay typical drive offs (first months pmt, tax and registration). Information on current money factor, any incentives and how much under "cost" is a a good negotiated price would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks. I will consider 39 month as well if considerable better than 36. When are 2012s to arrive?
  • rawbombrawbomb Member Posts: 22
    I was interested in the Jetta SEL w/ navi and wanted to know what the current lease program numbers were. I would be able to go as low as 10k miles and would like to pay 0 down if possible. Current residual and MF would be helpful along with any incentives.
  • pmelanc1pmelanc1 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have the April lease rates for a 36 month lease/12k per year for a Jetta Sportswagen TDI with Premuim package.
    Thanks.
  • ferreiror83ferreiror83 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Just lease a black 2011 Jetta SEL Sport w/ navi, auto trans, and real spoiler lip. 39 months with 15k miles per year for $340 with ZERO out of pocket. Just sign and drive. All taxes and fees rolled into payments. What do you think?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    What was your sale price? I think this is a great deal!! The payment is very reasonable even without knowing the price.

What color combo did you get?
  • chuckstyl5chuckstyl5 Member Posts: 4
    What kind of lease deals are guys getting who have a Jetta SEL with Sunroof ... I would just like to have some of your expertise before I head out into the wild haha - do any of you use truecar.com for the lease purchase price as well?? Looking for a 3 year 12000miles and I think MSRP is approx $24,165

Thank you guys :-) 

This will be my first lease so I want to do it right and not get ripped off too bad haha
  • ferreiror83ferreiror83 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Sale price was $23791.42. That included rubber mats, spoiler and chrome exhaust tip. Color was black on black
    Thanks!! Never went through with the deal, because no one was willing to spell out the terms to me. Obviously did not need nor want my business. I'm still on the prowl for a lease.
  • pmc1200pmc1200 Member Posts: 2
    Here are the lease details I didnt get the MRSP/residual (I assume 23000k/13800k) from the dealer yet but was wondering if this seemed like a good deal

$1,300 upfront for taxes, bank fee and DMV
    0 Down
    $280 per month (taxes included)
    36 month , 10k miles per year

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • pmc1200pmc1200 Member Posts: 2
    see my post for what I was quoted for SEL w/navi. Im waiting to hear if it is a good deal. $1300 upfront for tax, title, bank fee...$280 per month. 10k miles 36 month.
  • theralph17theralph17 Member Posts: 4
    I just signed a 39 month 12k miles per year for $329/month, first month and DMV fees down. 2011 Jetta SEL w/Sunroof Black on Black.
  • lal05lal05 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to purchase a Jetta Sportswagon SE with Premium Package. I was quoted a price of $27,000. I was told the residual for this car is 54% and a money factor of .00084. I was quoted a payment of $364 a month for 39 months for 0 down and 10K miles a year. This seems very high compared to other deals listed on here. Please help I don't want to over pay for this lease like I feel I did with my last car. Thanks!!
    Hey everyone,

Being young, going into car dealerships can be very intimidating for a young 24 year old woman like myself. They see a young woman and think she must be stupid. This past weekend I signed a lease for the Jetta SE with Convenience and Sunroof for $222 a month $1700 down including all fees. Here is how I got my deal.

First, I browsed online through leasetrader.com. I then contacted the company with the lowest price on the website ($199/month $1700 down) and had them send me the deal via email so all the terms were spelled out. The company advertising the deal was a third party leasing company in NY. I went to their office, and they delivered the car a day later. You sign the lease papers and pay the down payment by check/credit card when they hand you the keys.

After I received the car, I wanted to go over the lease paperwork. Turns out neither of the men who delivered the car could help me understand the lease (and they worked in the office signing deals ALL day). I called VW Credit and even they had trouble answering my questions. Pretty aggravating that VW could not help me understand their OWN lease agreement. I've leased before and never had such a problem. I don't sign ANYTHING unless I thoroughly understand every aspect of the agreement. Something was very shady about it — in the end, I did not sign the deal with them. The leasing company got very nasty with me, and that was even more of a reason not to go with them.

I then printed out the deal they originally sent to me, and brought it to a few VW dealerships but no one was willing to match the deal. The lowest each dealership would go was around $265 a month. I went through 3 dealerships before I inked the deal.

I can't stand salesmen, they are essentially middlemen, and most of them are just plain stupid. I went straight to the manager, and said look "I want this Jetta for $199 a month with $1700 down." I told him my uncle was a returning customer (total white lie) and he came back with $240 a month. I said $220 and you have a deal, and he countered my offer at $222. Not to mention, he went over EVERY detail on the lease until I understood everything.

My advice for anyone shopping, is don't go through a third party leasing company. They are helpful in the sense of starting the negotiating process, but I recommend going through a local dealership. Lastly, go straight to the manager. He initially said at $240 he'd be losing so much money he couldn't go a penny less — that was obviously BS. THEY WANT YOUR BUSINESS. You are in control. Once your hand over the reigns they've got you.

Good luck!
    I can sympathize! I took months to pick a car out at my dealership! I am sure they thought I was crazy! I test drove a Buick Regal, Mazda, VW's. Huge contrast in cars, however the leases were different. I am familiar with the Jetta, as we have an 08 SE already. I saw the 2011 Jetta and liked it!! Felt familiar and good. I wanted the SE with Convenience and sunroof and they came up with $0 down and around $400mth. They pretty much laid it out like it was their final. I held off. I knew better. A month or so later, I tried and again and the payment began to lower, as they knew I would still rather wait and get what I want. At one point, there like, what can we do to get you into a car?....hmmm..When it feels right and its the car I want. Finally after more time..I tried again, I was offered $350 for 48mths, $0 down and this was rolling in the 08 G6 lease negative equity and a few overage miles. NOT BAD, I would say. Now, I didn't really want 48mths, but I figure this could give me more time to either get a new lease or buy it out. 36 sometimes sneaks up on you so quickly. Mileage was 12k a year, however, I might have gotten the 15k. I hope so. I am already a bit over where I should be right now.

Also, not all dealerships are bad. My finance manager called me back to tell me they lowered the payment after I signed the deal and it was a decent amount!! Now that doesn't happen!! I truly appreciated that. He could have kept it the same!!

My dealership was quite nice through the whole process. They did seem to get a little frustrated with me taking so long, but I wanted it on my terms and when it felt right. I am slow to move on deals and purchases and usually when I make a deal or buy something it is a something I put a lot of thought into.

Bottom line: Take your time, shop around, kick some tires and don't always take the first and "final" deal. Do what feels right, try not to allow emotions in the deciding factor. It is all business and then fun later! :)

I now have a White Gold SE/cornsilk, conv, roof and love it!! Great choice and worth the wait!
    Is there anyway to find out the Resdiual and Money Factor for a Jetta SE Sportswagon? 12,000 miles. Trying to figure out if the deal I was offered was a good one.
    Bclear, Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sedan SE with Conv. & Sun and 15,000 miles per year are .00077 and 53%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are .00031 and 46%.

The numbers for the SEL with Sun are .00123 / 52% for 36 months and .00089 / 45% for 48 months.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of these cars.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings nocntysd. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta SportWagon SE with Premium and 12,000 miles per year are .00011 and 49%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I don't believe that Volkswagen is currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this car.

If I was in the market for it right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over invoice.

If you provide me with the MSRP and approximate selling price of the exact model that you want, I'd be happy to work up a sample payment on it for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for pmelanc1.

Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 12,000 miles per year are .00181 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go lal05. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sportwagon SE with 12,000 miles per year are .00011 and 49%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Carman, Would you happen to have that information for a Jetta Sportswagon SE with 12k miles . Premium package . Thanks
    Hi lal05. Volkswagen's April lease program is scheduled to run through May 2nd. Through that program, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sportwagon SE with 12,000 miles per year are .00011 and 49%, respectively.

Please feel free to check back with me in a couple of days and I can give you an update on what the new May program is like.

Car_man
    Host
    Does anyone know the new lease rates are as of May 3rd for a 2011 Jetta SEL w/ sunroof? MSRP is $24,400 Thanks
  • dookaloodookaloo Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

Wanted to see if this is a good deal. 2011 Jetta SE with convenience package and sunroof. MSRP $22,900, 12,000 miles per year, 39 months lease for $275/month with $1000 down.

Thanks for your input.
  • ss101ss101 Member Posts: 1
    Curious if there's any difference in the rates on a 2011 Jetta SEL w/ Sun, 12k, 36/mo than the 15k quote you have provided above.

Is there a way for the consumer to confirm the current buy rate lease money factor and residual values for VW vehicles with top tier credit? If the rates are published / accessible would like to know how to find them.

Much appreciated.
  • kacey007kacey007 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Car Man,

I have an offer for a 2011 Jetta SEL w/ the Sunroof and Sports Package at a sales price of 23,235 (MRSP is 25,100). Is this a good price or can I go lower?

Could you provide the lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month and 39 month lease at 15K? Also, are there any rebates/incentives available now that I should be asking for?
    Chuckstyl5, Volkswagen Credit's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta SEL with sunroof and 15,000 miles per year are .00174 and 51%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi ss101. Please see my previous post for this car's lease program. VW Credit's 12,000 mile per year residual values are 2% higher than its 15,000 mile per resids.

I am not aware of any resource that provides accurate information on manufacturers' lease programs to the general public.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi kacey007. I posted the 36 month numbers a couple of messages back. This car's 39 month program is actually much better than its 36 month program right now. VW Credit's 39 month, 15k buy rate lease money factor and residual value for the 2011 Jetta Sedan SEL with sunroof are .00089 and 50%.

Volkswagen is currently providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of this car through its captive finance company.

If I was in the market for a Jetta Sedan right now I personally would shoot for a selling price of $500 over dealer invoice minus the available cash incentive.

Car_man
    Host
    Well I got a SEL w/ sunroof and rubber mat kit - MSRP was 24560 work them down to 23077 and paying 320 month for 39 mon 15k miles - Paid tax title and fees at signing .. Not too bad atleast I think
  • kacey007kacey007 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. I'm not putting anything down, and getting the SEL with sunroof and sports package with the rubber mats, tint and spoiler for free at 340. So the comparison lets me know that this was the best I could do considering I'm not putting anything down and got the upgrade to sports.
  • infamouskid916infamouskid916 Member Posts: 2
    I just scored a deal in NJ. 2011 Jetta SE (off the lot) w/ convenience and sunroof. 15k miles, 39 month lease for 280 a month. Sign and drive with only first months payment down.
  • nomadfromcincynomadfromcincy Member Posts: 1
    I have the following offer from a California dealer - how much further can I push them?

This is for a pretty much fully loaded Jetta SportsWagen with TDI, tiptronic, and the premium (sunroof, navigation) package. It's a 36 Month Lease w/ 15k miles per year.
    Money Factor: .00174
    Residual Value: $14,957.50
    Money Down: $5,400.00 total
    Monthly Payment: $350.60+tax

I can make adjustments to the down payment if I want to pay more monthly. I.e. ~$400 monthly with $3000 down.
  • mrcarbuyermrcarbuyer Member Posts: 8
    Hello!
    We're trying to figure out our lease cost for a: SportWagen SE with options:
    -Sunroof and wheel package
    -Rear side airbags

We have the option of purchasing it at the invoice price through an employee program.
    We're expecting to trade in + down of up to $8K.
    Can you please let us know:

Money Factor
    Residual Value

We aim at a 36 mo lease 15,000 miles per year. Is there a better program we should consider?

We found on Edmunds:
    Invoice price: $22,795
    MSRP: $23,745

Should we expect our price to be $22,795 + options?

Thanks!
    Hi mrcarbuyer. It really isn't a good idea to make such a large down payment when leasing. Consumers who put a lot of money down on their lease risk losing part or all of it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. It is much safer not to make any capitalized cos reduction when leasing.

Volkswagen Credit's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen SE with 15,000 miles per year are .00040 and 46%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

If you are able to get this car at dealer invoice, then you will likely have to pay $22,795 minus the $1,000 cash incentive that is available on leases of this model through VW Credit.

Car_man
    Host
  • robyknoxrobyknox Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    is 280(all included) a month for 39 months with 1500 down and 12k miles for an SE with Con/Package a good deal? or am I getting RO.... thank you.
  • mrcarbuyermrcarbuyer Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Car_man!

Your insight made us think this through.
    Probably we will go with a basic Jetta SportsWagen with Aut transmission, no extras.

Invoice price: $20,251
    MSRP: $21,095.

We can see that there's a $1,000 cash incentive for lease on this model until 6/30.

Our final price would be $19,251?
    Can you please let us know June's Residual Value and Money Factor?

We have thought about a 36mo lease, due to their Carefree Maintenance plan. Is there a different lease term we should consider (we've read others are looking into 39 mo)?

How much down payment would you recommend?

We feel we're asking very basic questions, so thanks for your patience!
    I never did a down payment. On a lease, it is best not to put anything down. If you want to put anything down, perhaps financing the car would be a better fit. Atleast then it would be going to the principal of your loan. A lease is over in about 3 years, so putting a lot down is not really worth it.

$1,000 down=about $20-30 off the payment. Not much.

Always ask for the basic deal with no money due. Focus on the selling price and the fees they are charging you. Get this down and your payment will reflect it.

You will be fine, just be aware of all the numbers.
    Hey Carman,

Can you please tell me the money factor and residual for a 2011 Jetta Sportswagon with premium package and 12,000 miles a year for a 39 Month Term. I was offered a PP price of $23, 624 and monthly lease of $339 with zero down at signing . Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.