Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi crokerd. I see that you already know the selling prices of the cars that you are interested in. That's great because many consumers neglect to find this information out. I would be happy to give you my opinion of these prices if you provide me with these cars' MSRPs.

The dealer that told you that Volkswagen Credit does not offer 36 or 39 month leases was either lying to you or there was some sort of miscommunication. VW Credit is currently offering special leases for these terms. In fact, if I was in the market for a Jetta or a Passat right now, I would go with a 36 or 39 month lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey storrnyc. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is right in line with VW Credit's current buy rate for it. The '07 Jetta Wolfsburg doesn't have much of a spread between its MSRP and dealer invoice price, only a little over $1,100 on the base model, but I would think that you still should be able to negotiate more of a discount than what you are being given on one right now. Try stopping by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately: "Volkswagen Jetta: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Also, VW Credit's current acquisition fee is only $575.

I just worked up a lease payment on the car that you are interested in using the prices that you mentioned in your post and I came up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of $299. If you were able to negotiate another $500 off of this car's price, it would drop the payment for an otherwise identical lease to around $284.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello ledname. I can give you an idea of what this car's current lease program is like. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Jetta GLI with 15,000 miles per year are .00067 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00067 and 52%, respectively. I am not sure exactly how much VW Credit charges for additional miles that are purchased at lease signing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings Dan. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg with 15,000 miles per year are .00095 and 56%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be the same, but its residual value would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Storrnyc, the numbers that you mentioned in your post are correct.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey centex99. What is this car's MSRP? If you let me know what it is I can see how much of a discount you were given on this car and I can use it along with VW Credit's current lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi JShatto. The lease payment that Volkswagen is advertising for the 2007 Jetta is not a gimmick. Volkswagen is running a pretty attractive lease program on the '07 Jetta 2.5L right now. Its special lease money factor for this car is .00067, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 1.6%. As you can see, this is very attractive.

Having said this, most manufacturers' advertised lease payments leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. While a decent discount was probably assumed to arrive at this payment, savvy consumers who are in an area that has a decent level of competition may be able to negotiate a lower selling price than this if they shop around.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • arlington1arlington1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2007 Wolfsburg MSRP is 21,545,selling price of 20,775. Would be a 36 month lease, 12,000 miles per year. Can you tell me what the lease payment should be and what the money factor and residual value is for this model? Thank you!
  • esquire415esquire415 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Car_man,

Thank you for posting that lease incentive that VW is running right now. That is indeed a good deal. I currently lease a 2004 and the lease is due on June 7th. I am thinking of getting another VW lease and I am eyeing on an '07 Jetta 2.5L (this will be my third), however, I think this lease offer is only good until April 30 which is this Monday. Is there a chance that they would extend this? Do they also have a loyalty program in addition to the lease program?

Also, what is the residual value for this model car? BTW, I priced the car at Carsdirect.com and it costs $20,962 with Sport package.
  • bgrobgro Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man,

Just got back from a VW dealership. Looking at Jetta 2.5L w/ Package 1 and auto trans

Sticker - $21,585

Negotiated Price - $18.5k (roughly, can't exactly remember)

Residual - 53%

Money Factor - Tier A (didnt run credit yet but assuming tier a money factor 0f .00067)

Sales Tax - 6%

Monthly payment = $275 (tax included)

***** $0 out of pocket ******

Does this make sense with the rough figures and is it a good deal?
    Hi Car_man,

Have not heard from you in a while. I am going to make my decision tomorrow to get a new lease on the Jetta 2.5L. Carsdirect.com quoted me $0 down, $343 (8.25% tax included)/mo automatic with package #1, heated front seats, and power sunroof (it is the only one they have in blue graphite). Total cost is $22,127. I don't think this is the best deal.

bgro, I think you have a good deal considering that it's $0 out of pocket. Is that with 10k or 12k mi/yr.? I calculate your deal to be $259-$260 excluding tax. Does that come with power sunroof and front heated seats? Two dealers has sent me the following quote:

Dealer #1
    2007 VW JETTA 2.5L
    PACKAGE 1
    POWER SUNROOF OPTION
    BLUE GRAPHITE WITH GRAY LEATHERETTE INTERIOR

36 month lease
    10,000 miles a year
    $503.38 drive off
    $270.00 ($292 w/ tax)

Dealer #2 (offered to pay my last month's lease of $288 for current car)
    2007 VW JETTA 2.5L
    PACKAGE 1
    No mention of POWER SUNROOF
    BLUE GRAPHITE WITH GRAY LEATHERETTE INTERIOR

36 month lease
    10,000 miles a year
    $500.00 drive off
    $269.00 ($291 w/ tax)
    -------------------------------

How you were able to negotiate the price down by $3000 is amazing because the Carsdirect price for automatic with package 1 and front heated seats without sunroof costs $21,244. Did you also negotiate the residual because I thought it's 60% but I could be wrong. Does VW still have the .00067 MF incentive?
  • vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    Residuals are set by VW Credit and are not negotiable...
    Oh man! I always feel like I didn't get the best deal whenever I leave the dealer with a car. bgro, that deal is a steal, even if it's not an '07. Although you didn't mention if it's a 36, 48 or 60 month lease.

I never got a response from Car_man so I got the car.
    '07 Jetta 2.5L Automatic w/ Package #1.

Sticker: $21,695
    Selling Price: $20,300
    Residual: 56%
    Money Factor: .00069
    Money down: $500
    Lease term: 36 months
    Monthly payment pre-tax: $266
    Sales Tax: 8.25%
    Total Monthly payment: $288

Dealer pays $288 for old car's last month lease
    Dealer waives $350 turn-in fee for old car.
    Dealer shoulders all obligation on old car including 30,000mi service maintenance and inspection.

$288 is exactly the amount i'm paying now with my old lease although last time they had a $1000 loyalty program which I used to put as money down plus an extra $1175. They also paid last month for old lease and waived the turn in fee. The new car, however, does not include a power sunroof, heated seats, leather interior and leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel with audio controls.

What I failed to consider is that I opted to get the one without the power sunroof. Originally, the dealer quoted me $269/mo with the sunroof and $266 per month for the exact same car without a sunroof. A $3 difference which is only $108 for 36 months. If the sunroof costs $1000 MSRP, at 56% residual value, the depreciation should be $440. If the negotiated price is $883, then the depreciation should be $388.52 or $10.79/month. So my monthly should have been roughly $258/mo + tax without the sunroof. Is this correct? I feel like a dodo! Please help!
  • megvmegv Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

Can you tell me what the money factor, residual percentage, and any applicable incentives there are for a 2007 Jetta 2.0T, Option Package 1, 36 mos, 15K miles?

Thank you!
    What am i thinking? If the cost of the lease with the sunroof is $269/mo and if the sunroof costs $883 (invoice). Then if you subtract that cost over 36 months ($25.53), then the lease should be $244.47/mo not $266, is this correct? Anyone?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I think you figured it correctly the first time..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I know this is the Jetta forum, but I can't find a specific GTI lease forum. Does anyone have the Residuals and MF for a 2007 GTI for May?

I'm interested in a 2-year or 3-year lease with 15K miles per year.

Thanks!
    How's that? The full amount of the sunroof should be subtracted from the lease rate, not just the depreciated cost of the sunroof. Correct?
    No... the sunroof is part of the MSRP... You are only paying for a depreciated portion of it, not the whole thing...

Your first calculation was correct.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bgrobgro Member Posts: 3
    Ok I originally posted a few posts back about my supposed deal for 2.5L Auto w/ Package 1 etc. etc. Called the dealer and they were acting shady over the phone so went to different dealer.
    Here is my deal.

2007 Jetta Wolfsburg Manual :)
    Black/Black
    MSRP: 20,100

Have no idea any residual, money factor, or negotiated price because they played with the numbers on the lease agreement. I walked out w/

*** $0 out of pocket ***
    36 months (35 remaining as 1st was included)
    15k miles
    Payment = $255.96 (tax included 6.5% in Florida)

I thought this was a fairly good deal for the car even though I don't know the rate of negotiated price. Great experience at Gunther Volkswagon in Coconut Creek, FL!!
    I thought you have quite a great deal considering that you have $0 out of pocket, 15,000mi and a Wolfsburg, which I think comes with sunroof, heated front seats and a rear spoiler. My negotiated price is $20,300 and then they added acquisition fee of $575, tire fee, etc, etc, so it went up to $20,900 something.

I argued about the $269+tax that I was originally quoted with the sunroof and they said they have not included the fees in the quote that's why the difference seems like it was only $3 less for the one without the sunroof when it actuality I should be paying $286+tax with the sunroof. I don't believe their crap.

Wolfsburg vs. 2.5L w/ package 1
    manual vs. automatic
    $0 down vs. $500 down (dealer pays 1st month and $350 turn in fee)
    15k vs. 10k
    $255.96/mo vs. $288.17/mo

A difference of over $1000??? Woh! I got screwed! And r u sure your dealer actually made any money?
  • viberantmindviberantmind Member Posts: 4
    Hey there Car_man, and hello to everyone else:

I must say that I am glad I stopped by because there was a gracious amount of serious information I lacked on leasing.

Here is my situation. I am a 20 year old college student and I desperately need a car for transport to work + school. While I can treat myself to something a little nicer than average, I'm in no situation to go overboard. That being said, I have decide that I most surely want a VW Jetta and, more specifically, a 2006 or 2007 Jetta 2.0t (automatic) w/ Package #1.

(i guess i should point out that i am also seriously considering the cheaper Jetta 2.5 if i can get it with a moon-roof)

I do know that the MSRP of the model in question is US$25,085. I am not sure what it is locally were I am or what they typically sell for but how much do you think the selling price may come down to from that number? I do not want a monthly payment over US$300 and would love anything lower, but I am not entirely sure if that is possible with a 2.0t w/ Package #1. Perhaps the 2.5 w/ optional moon-roof is more suitable.

I would also like to let everyone know that soon I will be going to a few VW dealers to look at Jettas and to start building a rapport with the salespersons. In building that rapport are there specific questions I should ask or any information I should let the salesperson know about my situation and how much I am willing to spend?

Im not entirely sure what all the terms and numbers like "MF", and "OTD price" mean.

And as I am a young college student with relatively fresh credit, will that have adverse affects on the final selling price and/or monthly payment of the car?

I am also not sure if I should learn more towards a 2006 or 2007 model. Would it make much of a difference?

I live in the Washington D.C. Metro area. ZIP-20770

Thanks for your knowledge and insight!

Cheers!
    Viberantmind
    I would be happy to help you out, arlington1. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00088 and 57%, respectively unless you are in VW's Southern region where it is offering a special 24 month lease on this car. Using this lease program, I estimate that the 36 month, 12,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment for an '07 Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan that has an MSRP of $21,545 and a selling price of $20,775 should be around $266.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem, esquire415. Volkswagen's current lease program is scheduled to run through May 31st, which would bring you pretty close to your current lease's June expiration date. I personally wouldn't rush to lease a new vehicle before I was ready though. Incentives generally seem to heat up as we near the summer, so chances are that the Jetta's June lease program will be at least attractive as its current one (disclaimer it is impossible to predict exactly what automakers will do with their future incentives :) ). I am not aware of any owner loyalty offers on this model right now.

Vehicles' residual values vary by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned how long you want to lease your Jetta 2.5L for or what mileage you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of this car with 15,000 miles per year are .00069 and 53%, respectively. When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the $750 lease cash that Volkswagen is providing on the Jetta 2.5L right now. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Here you go, megv. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Jetta 2.0T Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00081 and 52%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to use the $750 lease cash that is currently available on it to help you negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi timmboj. Here's a link to the discussion that you are looking for: "Volkswagen GTI: Lease Questions". See you there.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey Viberantmind. Shoot for a selling price that is close to dealer invoice as possible on the Jetta that you are interested in and then have the dealer that you are working with subtract the $750 cash incentive that is available on leases of it through VW Credit from that putting the actual capitalized cost for your lease at a couple hundred dollars below invoice. Try stopping by the following discussion for additional feedback on Jetta pricing: "Volkswagen Jetta: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

If you are not familiar with what terms like "money factor" mean, you definitely should check out the following articles before entering into negotiations for a lease: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

VW is no longer providing lease support on 2006 models, so if you want to lease you definitely should go with an '07 Jetta.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    VW Credit has maintained, for years, a special "College Graduate Program"...If you have graduated within the past 24 Months or will within the next 6 Months; you qualify...
    Automatic Tier 1 approval with clean, if minimal, credit, and proof of income.

If the above does not apply; you will, no doubt, need a CoX...When your status meets the above you can reapply to VW Credit to go it alone...
  • viberantmindviberantmind Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Car_man and vwguild1! If I have any other questions, I'll post them.
  • seanakseanak Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had luck negotiating down their end-of-lease purchase price with VW Credit? My lease is almost up on a 2004 Jetta and I've heard tales of other folks negotiating down, but VW is saying no thus far...
    thanks!
    nyinla
  • skippytcgskippytcg Member Posts: 10
    I am interested in knowing, my wife and I just leased, May 26,2007, a 2007 jetta wolfsburg, mudflaps, no spoiler. The dealer originally qouted us 290 + tax. I balked at him and said he was crazy. Well after 3 hours at the dealership, IN Massachusetts, we settled on 240/mo+tx, $1000 out of pocket for a 48 mo x 10k/yr.

Tim
  • skippytcgskippytcg Member Posts: 10
    Car_man,

Where is it posted the $750 credit from Vw financing. I am calling my vw dealer tomorrow when i find it in writing. They said it did not exsist. Any help would be great and I'll try to get them to apply it as an additional security deposit and lower my monthly or refund it to me.

Tim
  • nupeskee1nupeskee1 Member Posts: 18
    Car_Man

I need the numbers (money factor, residual, etc) for a 2007 Jetta GLI for a 24 and 36 month lease with 12K and 15K miles respectively. I'm not sure of the package at this point but hopefully it should not matter. Thanks.
  • invaliduserinvaliduser Member Posts: 9
    He posted the data on the roadfly forum earlier in the month. http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/financing/

But keep in mind the data can and prob will change (hopefully for the better) next week. I'm also looking into a GLI lease right now.
  • polyvwpolyvw Member Posts: 55
    The numbers I was quoted on my deal were as follows

07 Jetta GLI 6spd Pkg1 w/ 18"s

.00068 MF

51% Resid

3yr/45k mi lease

I'm taking delivery on the 1st so I can use these numbers or next months...any clue on next months???
  • invaliduserinvaliduser Member Posts: 9
    Poly,
    If you don't mind, let me know what they quote you for next months MF/Residual. I doubt the dealer will know anything until the 1st or the 4th. From what I can tell, the $750 incentive will be good through the end of June. Now we just need to hope they spice up the residual like they did for the May GTI lease support :)
    I'm looking at the 7th or 8th of June for my purchase.
    Thx,
    IU
  • sdazzo213sdazzo213 Member Posts: 3
    I am a college student with good credit looking to lease a 07 manual Jetta Wolfsburg. I want a 36 month lease with 12,000 miles a year. I want my payments to be at 189/month. I know that since I want a low monthly payment I will need to put down a substantial down payment but I am not sure what is a reasonable amount. I went in and got an estimate, without any bargaining they quoted me at $4,600 down. Is this reasonable or can i bring this number down?

Thanks in advance.
    Why would you pay for the depreciated portion of a sunroof when there is no sunroof to begin with?
    Hi Car_man,

I wish you replied sooner. I already got the car. I feel like an idiot taking the car from the first dealer I visited that day! It was May 6 and I had until June 7 before I turn in my old Jetta (which still has 7k miles). They said they will take care of my last month's payment from my old lease and also the turn in fee of $350 (is this turn-in waived anyway by VW credit since I'm getting another VW?). So I caved in. I shouldn't have rushed because I'm now paying the amount of a car with a sunroof (although the one I got doesn't have one).

I wanted to lease for 36 mos with 10k mi/yr (2.5L w/ pkg 1). VW Hayward gave me .00069 MF and 56% RV. Selling price of the car is $20,300. With license fee, doc fee, and acq. fee...the cap cost is $20,913. My tax rate is 8.25%. I put $500 down which pays for 1st month's payment. The dealer says they were losing $446 on this sale which I think is BS. My total monthly including tax and fees is $288 and change.

As soon as I got home and my thinking settled in, I realized that my old lease is also $288/mo but I had a sunroof, leather seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and heated front seats. I also had 12k mi/yr. Granted that I put down $1200 and that the dealer added $1000 on my downpayment for the loyalty program, I still think that I had a great deal last time.

So Car-man tell me, how much did it cost me for rushing in to get a new VW lease? BTW, how was the .00069 MF calculated in the price of the lease? Is that 1.66% x depreciation? Because it's not adding up.

Another thing i'm upset about is that I believe the $750 rebate started on May 1st. The dealer didn't tell me anything about this rebate. Is this something I can bring up with VW credit and renegotiate after the fact?

Here's the link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/volkswagen/jetta/100778034/incentives.html?vdp=off&setzip=94065&state=CA
  • birdfan1birdfan1 Member Posts: 3
    Car_Man,

Earlier, you mentioned a special 24 month lease deal for VW's Southern Region, which I'm curious about. I'm in Florida, which I assume is in the Southern Region. I'm trying to find the best lease deal (ie. smallest payment) on either a Wolfsburg or 2.5.

Thanks in advance.
  • psytenpsyten Member Posts: 13
    So I am trying to figure out if this MASS dealership is trying to take my girlfriend for a ride. She is ready to call the guy and put a deposit, but I am not so sure I am comfortable with the deal. Any assistance would be appreciated.....so, here is the deal:
    She is trading in her 2006 Civic LX with 37K (yeah she drives a lot!). The payoff on that car is just under 15 grand and the dealer said they will give her $14,000 and then somehow eat the difference (in their words). The car she wants is a 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg (Automatic, with spoiler, etc). They are willing to sell the car to us for 20,654, but somehow the payments work out to $318/month for 48 months 15K/year and $0 out of pocket. They are showing a $59/month lease charge on top of the base payment of $244. The manager showed me their computer screen, but is either an imbecil or is doing a good job of faking because he couldn't explain any fees and just kept saying he just says what the computer says. I feel like he is simply rolling in the negative equity which we don't want, but they kept saying they are getting her out of the civic. Her main concern is to get out of that car since she is way over the miles, but I feel like $318 is way too much. Any suggestions are appreciated since I am dragging her away from the phone as we speak!
    If they are giving you $14K and the payoff is $15K, then they have to roll the negative equity into the lease.. No other way around it.

The lease charge is the finance portion of the lease payment..

Why get into a lease when she drives that many miles? Keep the Civic.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Something is really askew here...First of all, the entire existing lease has to be paid off...All of the remaining payments plus the residual...How much is that? $15,000???
    If that is the case, then the $1000 difference being rolled into the new lease is really not such a big deal. It is important that she sees what the the Jetta works out to be without here Civic in the deal, and then add in the trade...
    Thank You for your comments on this situation, they are very much appreciated. I do agree that with that driving so many miles doesn't make sense for a lease, but this was while we were moving and she was still going to work every day, she drives less now. The other issue is that she gets the itch for new cars often (not the best financial decisions, I agree). However, in the case of this lease, they are saying they will pay off her civic at whatever the buy-out is. I think in her case, the 1,000 negative equity is ok to get taken on since she would not get out of the civic any other way with so many miles. In other words, its a small price to pay, plus she is getting more car in the Jetta Wolfsburg. Aside from the 1,000 negative equity, do the payments still sound astronomical in that the dealer is hiding something, or is it more reasonable? UPDATE: She was back and forth with them on the phone today and they dropped it to the following:

$306 out of pocket (first month's payment)

$306/month

48 months / 15K per year

Not great, but ok because of the civic? or not?

By the way, we negotiated the civic before negotiating the Jetta deal, so it was somewhat separate, but not best case scenario, I take it.
    Does that include tax? If so, what is your tax rate? On a 4-year lease, the negative equity in the Civic accounts for around $25/mo. of that payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, that includes tax, 5% in mass. I think around $15-16 bucks/month.
    I am not real comfortable about their stating that they will pay off the Civic regardless of what the pay off is...
  • jdellagloriajdellagloria Member Posts: 1
    I too am looking for the same type of lease. Have you received any replies to your question? Thanks,John
  • birdfan1birdfan1 Member Posts: 3
    Nope...haven't heard a thing and I'd like to buy very soon.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ok, I am looking to lease a jetta GLI, but how is the insurace on this model. I drive an 06 accord, will my insurance go up in the GLI?? Also anyone that drives a lease GLI, what are your payments. I just sent in about 10 requests to dealers for quotes, your unbiased lease deals would be great.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.