Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Your payment really should be about $320-$330 with a sale price of like $22k. I own an 08 SE, I pay around this amount. $0 down! Start with $0 down.

You need to be careful, I would keep your cash, and just use the trade. But just think you are trading your car and giving $2,000, only down to $250. Though nice, not a good reason to me to do that. Keep your cash, work on the deal more.

$4,000 total cash towards the deal, does not affect your principal, but really doesn't help the payment all the well in my book. Just do the trade, easier for you, besides in this time of desperate money, hold on to it. Use it towards a savings, retirement, instead of a car, that your going to only have 3yrs. You with thank yourself later on. You really will :) If you are like me, I only keep my car 2 years give or take, so putting money down would be a waste. Much better of a reason than to bring your payment only to $250. $1,000k only gives you are $20 or so off your payment. Remember to know what your sale price is... Very important. Its only a lease!

Good Luck!
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    By the way, the Wolfsburg beat the Pontiac G8 V8 by apparently a half a second!!

What??? Check the carbon monoxide levels in your home dude. The Pontiac G8 can do 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. The 200HP VW Jetta Wolfsburg barely cracks 7 seconds. Maybe 6.9 seconds on a good day. A MazdaSpeed3 can bury any model VW at only 5.3 seconds 0-60. Heck, according to Edmunds, a 4,300 pound 2009 Ford Edge can do 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and that's with an automatic transmission. What would make you think a Jetta could do a 4.8 second 0-60? Where are you getting your facts?

By the way, if you were talking 1/4 mile times it's even worse news for the Jetta. The G8 does 1/4 mile in 13.6 seconds. The Wolfsburg 15.5 seconds.
  • Hi Car-man:

Could you tell me the Money Factor and Residual for an '09 Jetta SportWagen SE lease (10k miles/yr)?

From your other posts, I'm guessing .00139 and 57%? Is that correct?

EDIT:
    Also, does VW Credit charge an Acquisition Fee?

And, what about GAP coverage?

Thanks!

Gary
  • I don't wanna be pushy. But, the dealer just took delivery, and I need to make a decision on buying or leasing right away. But, I cannot do it without the Money Factor and Residual Percentage. I got an excellent selling price, and would like to run the numbers on a lease.

To reiterate model specs and lease reqs:

2009 Jetta SportWagen SE
    24 or 36 months
    10 or 12K/yr
    Does VW Credit charge an acquisition fee?
    Is GAP included, do they charge add'l for it, or can I add it thru my insurance company?

Thanks in advance! Great forum! Great resource!
  • OK. So, I got the salesman to print out the current VW Credit MF's and Residuals. According to what he showed me, it's .00150 and 53% for 36/mo 12K lease on a Jetta SportWagen SE. (I wonder why the wagon has such a higher MF and lower residual than the sedan?)

Anyway, this is the lease deal offered:
    Jetta SportWagen SE 36/mo 12K
    Price: $21,259
    Acq Fee $575!!! (Is this legitimate?)
    Tot Cap Cost $21,834

A $1000 rebate (so, no money out-of-pocket) is going to:
    DMV: $246
    Doc: $45
    Cap Red $349
    1st Mo $327 (incl $25tax)
    Tax Upfnt $33 (Sales tax on what?)

$302 plus tax ($327 total) per month

It seems high to me. How does it look to those in the know?

Also, has anybody else paid a $575 acquisition fee for a lease from VW Credit, or is this a BS charge from the dealer?

Thanks in advance!
    I don't get why people get set on a certain model of car and then wonder "WHAT HAPPENED?" when they are paying $330 a month on a $20,000 basic car. 4 wheels and some seats to me does not equal $330 a month. I suggested to someone else that they look around at different makes and models. You can lease an '09 Nissan Altima LOADED with heated leather, moon roof, bluetooth, everything for $300 a month 36 months with zero down. Why would you spend more for less car? Plus you know VW is going to kill you with their $70 oil changes every 3 months and other inflated servicing. Trust me, I used to own a Jetta and will never, ever, ever again. Worst deal I ever made.
  • FYI - VW gives free maintenance for 3 years, the entire life of an average lease. So, no $70 oil changes, or any other maintenance costs.

Our new Jetta SportWagen SE is far from a basic car. It may only be $20K. ($20,259, actually). But, it is quite well-equipped, including premium sound, satellite radio, hands-free bluetooth, alloy wheels, and leather wheel and handbrake.

We've had Toyotas and Acuras. We prefer VW's. (And, btw, my wife is Japanese.) Our new Jetta, and our current Passats, are smoother, quieter, and better-looking than any similarly priced Japanese sedan from recent years.

In fact, we did look at a Toyota Matrix, the most similar Japanese model to a Jetta SportWagen, and it didn't come close in any area, despite a HIGHER price tag than the Jetta. It was noisier, smaller, and had a hideous, poorly designed and constructed interior. We were constantly aware that we were in a low level economy car, almost toylike. The Jetta feels like a real car.

So, quite frankly, I don't understand why people would choose an ugly, plasticky, whiny econobox, when, for about the same price, they can drive something in an entirely other class. But, that's me. I also can't imagine a fully loaded mid-trim Altima 36 month lease for $300 with $0 down. (Base model, perhaps. But, even their $199 39 month base model lease has a $2800 down payment.)
    I forgot VW is now offering free maintenance on the 2009 models. Of course that was because of their horrible reliablilty issues of late.

FYI to you, "leather" in a VW means "fabric coated with PVC plastic," aka Leatherette. Also, the Altima I was referring to was a 2009 2.5 S with SL Package and nearly every optiion except Technology Package. MSRP $27,395. It has all the options you mentioned plus many, many more including steering wheel controls, speed sensing wipers, more horsepower, better fuel economy, more passenger volume (9 cu. feet more), more cargo volume, better depreciation, and a Bose stereo. Plus, it actually has real leather made from cows. Not the encyclopedia covers your seats have.

Really though the reason why I initially commented on your $330 a month lease was because it is ridiculous to lease a car for $20-$30 less per month than you could've PURCHASED it for. Why spend almost $12,000 over 36 months to LEASE when you could've bought it outright and only owed $7,700 on your loan after 3 years. If the car is so great why not buy it?
  • First, if you can get an Altima so equipped for $300/mo for 36 mos with no money down, go right ahead. That is a great deal.

But, it seems you do not completely understand how leasing and/or financing the purchase of a new car works.

If I buy a $20K car, I have to pay sales tax on $20K. If I lease a $20K car with a 46% depreciation (54% residual), I only pay tax on $9200 plus the finance charge.

If I buy the car, I have to pay a finance charge on the entire amount. (including sales tax, if I go with no money down.) Currently, the lowest rate I've found is 3.9% for 36 months. If I lease, I pay a Money Factor of .00150, or 3.6%, on only $9200.

Let's take the actual car in question, a SportWagen SE from my local VW dealer:

If I buy, the OTD price is $22,318. A 36 month loan at 3.9% would be $657.92/mo for a total of $23,685. (Interest is $1367). If I lease at $327/mo for 36 mos, my total is $11,772. That's a difference of $330/mo, $11,913 total. (A 48mo loan at 4.9 would be $513/mo w/$2300 in interest for a total of $24,618, and 60mo at 4.9 is $420/mo with a whopping $2,900 in interest for a total of $25,218.)

I'm not sure where you got your "$20-$30 more to purchase it" from. But, you might wanna check the batteries on your calculator.

BTW, I didn't say the car came with leather seats. I said leather steering wheel and handbrake.
    Why would the sale price be $22,318? Anyone could buy a Jetta SportWagen SE for $18,000. Also, I never said it would be a 36 month loan. That is just plain dumb. Even on a 60 month loan you CAN get rid of the car in 36 months and still come out ahead. Monthly payment would be $360. (Financing $19.200 for 60 months).
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    I'm leasing a 2006 jetta whose lease is up in June. I've been paying those $75 oil changes. Are you saying if I lease a 2009, the oil changes are now covered?

If I can get an loaded altima as described by stoopy for $0 down for around $300/$320 a month, I'd consider the altima for sure. My payment for the 2006 jetta was $325 a month for 36 months/15k miles a year with 0 down. If i can get the same payment/miles on the loaded altima 4 cylinder, I probably would go that route.

To me, the leatherette seats are just fine-- they're heated. Not a big deal that they're not leather. Jetta has a great center armrest too..awesome adjustment. Not crazy about the legroom- right knee tends to rest again the center console.

I prefer sirius over XM, even after the merger. I think both cars deal with sirius.
  • clasysclasys Member Posts: 30
    If you can not imagine $300 a month for fully loaded Altima, you better read Nissan Altima Lease Questions thread more carefully, Yours truly - July 08, 08 Altima 2.5 SL with Technology package, floor mats, MSRP 27 thousand and change, push-button start, heated leather, dual -zone climate, 6CD Bose stereo, XM sattelite, bluetooth, 39 moths lease, 12K miles - $309 per month, $550 total drive-off. From reading recent posts in Altima lease thread, I see that people are still getting pretty comparable deals on similar models as I type. Also, as proud former owner of 2 Passats (1999 and 2004), I find new Altima far superior in every aspect to Passats I had. Heck, I like it so much - my wife now drives my 07 SL AWD Murano with Touring package (a close to 40K fully loaded crossover that rides almost as nicely as sedan) full time, even though new Altima was meant for her. Take it from VW owner with 10 years of experience - you might really want to take a closer look at Altima, even though its not as sexy looking as VWs.
  • You've heard of sales tax, DMV fees, and options, right? That is why the OTD price is 22,318.

Using monthly payments to compare the value of 60 month loan to a 36 month lease is ludicrous. The fact that you look at monthly payments vs. the total cost of the car tells me that you don't understand auto financing, and are probably the kind of customer a salesperson loves. Are you going to pull out a four-square now?

And, if you can find a SportWagen SE for $18K, you should jump on. Oh. That's right. You don't like vinyl seats. (BTW the invoice is 22,330 w/dest and options, so the $20,259 selling price I got is reasonable.) If the lease was based on an $18K selling price it would be even less expensive than the $327 I was referring to, wouldn't it? So, even more of a better value.

You may hate VW's, or prefer Altima's. That is great. I prefer Pepsi to Coke. But, it is a moot point in this discussion. You are simply wrong about comparative costs of leasing vs. buying.
  • If the Altima came in a wagon with fold-flat seating, we would have checked it out. But, the closest they had was the Rogue, which we didn't like as much as the SportWagen.

Anyway, I gotta go find the Jetta Leasing and Buying Forum. I mistakenly wandered into the Altima vs. Jetta Forum.
    No, you're in correct thread. This is not Jetta vs Altima fan-boy battle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was you who stated that "Our new Jetta, and our current Passats, are smoother, quieter, and better-looking than any similarly priced Japanese sedan from recent years." Also, you said that "So, quite frankly, I don't understand why people would choose an ugly, plasticky, whiny econobox, when, for about the same price, they can drive something in an entirely other class. ...I also can't imagine a fully loaded mid-trim Altima 36 month lease for $300 with $0 down."
    Assuming from your post that you actually NEVER rode in new Altima, and you CAN"T imagine a $300 a month for MUCH better loaded car compared to Jetta wagon, and taking in consideration my own experience with both VWs and new Altima, I took a liberty of posting a reply in hope that I'm being helpful. Apparently not, and I apologize for that. If you need a wagon, and won't consider a sedan, thats entirely different story, but please dont come stating that there is nothing nice compared to Jetta wagon for the price. There is, and as it appears, you CAN get MUCH BETTER loaded car for LESS money than Jetta Wagon. But then again, if you're so into Jetta, much luck to you in getting one.
    I didn't intend to get into any kind of Altima vs VW debate. As you said it was ol' Gary who brought up the SUPERIORITY OF GERMAN ENGINEERING. I was just saying having owned a Jetta and going to probably own an Altima in the next 2-3 months, I prefer the Altima hands down and it would be a cheaper lease in this scenario.

Gary-
    You were the one who originally asked "what we thought of a Jetta Wagen for $330 per month." Sorry for giving you my most honest and sincere answer. If I thought you wanted me to blow smoke about how AWESOME your deal was, I wouldn't have even responded. Next time you need your car dealin' VW ego stroked, don't post your rhetorical questions here.
    Ah, so many cars now to choose from. All new cars are getting pretty nice. We should be glad that we are able to lease or drive a new car. The options are getting endless. Its a lease, that is the cool part, you could have both altima and the jetta within a few years.
    I happen to have an 08 Pontiac G6, not really what I wanted, but I have grown to appreciate it and actually see why others happen to like it. Would I prefer to be in a Honda or VW? Of course. ..lol. but the worse possible scenario would be that I wait until I turn the car back in.

Some people seek a certain feeling the cars gives you.

Lease what you like, I had the issue with asking other people what they thought of the cars when I test drove them, when really, its about how I like them. If it feels right, then do it. Its my choice, my money.

Anyway, back on topic......My dealer has alot of Jetta SEL, I would love to get the Jetta Wolfsburg. There is this red one here in town, with tinted windows, that car is hot!!
  • brendanm14brendanm14 Member Posts: 16
    Money Factor and Residual on a Jetta SEL for February....any changes since January?
  • southnumasouthnuma Member Posts: 46
    MSRP: $23,270

Selling Price: $22,750

(this has added in the inceptions: first payment, acquisition fee, tag etc of $1,452.62 so it would in reality be $21,297.38)

Residual is 50% and the money factor is .00178

and...

$23,095 MSRP
    $21,887 Selling Price
    $1,000 Rebate
    60% Residual
    $13,857 Residual Value
    0.00178 Money Factor

I am thinking that the first quote must have the residual wrong. I don't know. I am just wondering what the new numbers are from VW for Feb. Also I am not sure what the 1000 rebate is in the second quote. They second quote is bout 500 under invoice I think. Should I haggle a little more...or good deal?
  • ausdtechausdtech Member Posts: 37
    Car-man, can you update us with the current rates for the wolfsburg please.

I'l looking for 2/24 and 3/36 numbers at 10k miles/yr

Thanks!
    oops, that wasn't quite what I wanted to ask, nor was it very clear, I was tired

can I get residual and mf's for the following

2009 Jetta wolfsburg automatic transmission

24 months 24k miles

27 months 27k miles

36 months 36k miles

Thanks!
  • gotgt3gotgt3 Member Posts: 114
    Does anyone have numbers on lease's or purchase on a GLI?
  • maniacanimaniacani Member Posts: 1
    I don't understand all these lease rates, etc but this is the deal I was quoted:

'09 Wolfsburg
    Manual / Tail Fin / Trunk Liner
    35 Month / 15k miles
    $0 out of pocket
    $790 back for last 2 months of my current lease
    $338 a month.

Is that a good deal? Basically they quoted me $10 less a month if I make the last 2 lease payments myself (so they are giving me 790 for about 350)

Thanks!
    I am noticing a lot more car dealers doing this these days rather than accepting the trade in. In my case, I have two months left on my lease but I still have a $300 turn in fee with VW Credit. So I would still be out $300 and whatever damage they end up finding on my car.

Anyone else noticing this trend?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Gary. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jetta Wagon SE with 10,000 miles per year are .00150 and 54%, respectively.

Volkswagen Credit charges a $575 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. I believe that it includes gap coverage at no additional charge.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi brendanm14. Volkswagen's lease program for this car varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different.

VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jetta SEL Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00119 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    It's understandable, ausdtech, I'm tired too :) . Here's the info that you're looking for.

Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg with 12,000 miles per year are .00178 and 67%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 30 month lease are .00178 and 61%. The 36 month numbers are .00178 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello gotgt3. Volkswagen's lease program for this car varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different.

VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jetta GLI with 15,000 miles per year are .00105 and 52%, respectively.

If you choose to finance this car instead of lease it, you can do so through VW Credit at 3.9% for 3 years, 4.9% for 4 years, or 5.9% for 5 years.

Car_man
    Host
  • davidgodavidgo Member Posts: 2
    lookind for current money factor, residual for a 09 jetta se sedan, thanks 36 mos lease 0 down with 12k miles year
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    The January numbers were .00119 and 55%. Might be awhile before Car_Man gets you the current numbers.
  • gull704gull704 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone explain how to translate the residual number and mf into a monthly payment?
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    FROM http://www.leaseguide.com/lease08.htm

Depreciation Fee + Finance Fee + Sales Tax = Monthly Payment

Depreciation Fee = ( Net Cap Cost – Residual ) ÷ Term
    Finance Fee = ( Net Cap Cost + Residual ) × Money Factor

Example Calculation Using the Leasing Formula

Let's assume you've decided on 3-year (36 month term) lease of a VW TDI that has a sticker price of $24,600 (MSRP).

You've managed to negotiate the price down to $23,000 (Cap Cost). You decide not to make a down payment, but you have a trade-in worth $5000. Your Net Cap Cost is therefore $23,000 - $5000 = $18,000. (You would also have to add in the acquisition fee, they forgot. Then you would have the Net Cap Cost)

Now, the dealer tells you that the Money Factor is .00375 and the Residual Percentage is 60% of MSRP. So your Residual amount, in dollars, is .60 x $24,600 = $14,760.

Depreciation Fee = ( $18,000 – $14,760 ) ÷ 36 = $90.00
    Finance Fee = ( $18,000 + $14,760 ) × .00375 = $122.85
    Monthly Lease Payment = $90.00 + $122.85 = $212.85

Depending on your State you would then add sales tax to your monthly payment, ($212.85 + TAX RATE%) OR you may have to pay it upfront. Depends on where you live. Same goes for DMV, title, tags, what have you. In my state we pay sales tax on on monthly payment and title, tags, at DMV when we register it within 30 days.
  • gull704gull704 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Anyone have the residual and mf for the 2009 TDI?
  • hegemonhegemon Member Posts: 5
    I'm trying to lease a Jetta SEL with Navigation. I'm currently in Evanston, IL and was quoted around $340 with $2000 down. Is this right? It seems high after reading through this thread...

The other thing is, now I'm looking at the Nissan thread and it seems I can get an Altima (2.5SL) with a few more standard features with a MSRP that is higher...for less a month...

I hate that VW got rid of Climatronic and automatic front seat because I love those cars...ugh... :(
    Both Nissan and VW are nice, but I think you find the VW a more fun car to drive. The Nissan is a much larger car. Drive what you want though. For me, 2 different cars.

If I picked the Jetta, it would be the Wolfsburg! Or the GLI, but the Wolfsburg has great bang for the buck!
    So...I just leased a 2009 Jetta SEL with Navigation for 36 Months and 15,000 miles for $328 a month with only $277 down. Is this a "good deal"? I mean...it seems like it, but I don't know about these things. Other places were randomly quoting in the $400's...
    With the residuals and money factors I'm seeing, that's definitely a good deal. Even more so because the new nav system is supposed to be great but from everything I've seen its very hard to find cars that were ordered with it.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    My son has been to two dealers, one in Santa Cruz, calif and the other in Daly City.Santa Cruz told him he would lose money and would not do it and he waited for 45 minutes in Daly City while the "tried to find a car"

Is this a come on?Would not buy a VW after this kind of treatment.
  • pax4pax4 Member Posts: 9
    Garypen,
    I'm looking to lease a fully loaded Nissan Altima 09 Sedan ( 2.5 SL + Connection and Convenience package ) in the Florida area 36-39 months, 12-15,000 miles, zero down. As of this date, any idea what the monthly payments should be? Thanks !
    Are you asking Garypen, who leased Jetta Wagon recently, or me (since you are replying to one of my earlier posts)? If this question is directed towards me, then lets take it to "Nissan Altima Lease Questions" thread, lets not off-top here. Its VW Jetta thread after all. I'd be more than happy to help you out.
  • soroka24soroka24 Member Posts: 9
    Hegemon- That does sound like a good deal, where are you located at? Here is the first quote I received on an 09 SEL (36 month, 12K per year),

with Navigation
    335 per month, 675 down (1st month payment plus fees)

without Navigation
    299 per month, 640 down (1st month payment plus fees)

Two questions: How much better can I do, and is the navigation package worth the extra 36 bucks a month?
  • soroka24soroka24 Member Posts: 9
    36 months
    12000 miles/year
    Zero down

Sale price 21,213
    Cap Cost 22,451.12

292.10 per month

Did all negociating over email.
  • mapleflmaplefl Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Carman.

I'm interested in leasing a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen and am looking at both the TDI and SEL. I'd like to know VW Credit's March money factors and residual values for both a 10,000 mile and 12,000 mile 36 month lease.

Thanks!
    do those monthly amounts have taxes involved in them?

If it has taxes in them it makes me want to lease another Jetta when my 05.5 Jetta is off lease in May.
    Yep. That was with Florida state taxes rolled in. I bought it in Evanston, IL though (the Autobarn is fantastic). I go to school at Northwestern, but since I'm a Florida resident and the car is registered in FL, I pay Florida taxes.
    Hi Carman,

I wasn't able to pull the trigger on a new wolfsburg jetta last month. Can you tell me if the 24 month 10k/yr numbers are still 68% and .00178? Thanks
    anyone. . .Beuler. . .anyone?
    Hi davidgo. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jetta Sedan SE with 12,000 miles per year are .00101 and 54%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi gull704. The following article explains how to calculate lease payments on vehicles: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. Check it out and let us know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey gull704. Here's the information that you are looking for. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI with 15,000 miles per year are an unattractive .00314 and 54%, respectively. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.