Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• shakeyf250shakeyf250 Member Posts: 2
    I just got the truck back from the dealership today and haven't had a chance to test drive it on the interstate, they replaced the steering box with a new one, but i'm still skeptical about how it will drive, we'll see.
  • saynotofordssaynotofords Member Posts: 1
    Check out www.forddefects.com or Consumerreports.com and search on Ford Spark Plugs. This is happening all over the country. Ford refuses to acknowlege the problem and everyone who brings it up to the customer service department is told that it is something that rarely happens and there is nothing that Ford can do about it. If I were you, I'd sell the Ford and buy something that the manufacturer will stand behind.
  • lopezslopezs Member Posts: 7
    is it bad to have a dead cyclinder..im running off 7 right now...my truck is a V8 86 ford f-150
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Sorry to hear that...how many miles on that 20 year old engine?
  • adiheadadihead Member Posts: 4
    My truck: 1996 Ford F-250 7.3 L power stroke

The problem: Flashing wait to start light- truck shuts off and will not restart until wait to start light comes back on. Is random, has no warning, no pattern to problem, only does it every few days. Truck also develops a very mild skip just prior to truck shutting off. After truck starts, skip doesn't seem to be present until problem occurs again. I have replaced the following: Crankshaft sensor, IDM Module, PCM, fuel pump, fuel heater, ignition switch, removed and cleaned all known or visible grounds, changed type of oil from delo 15w40 to shell rotella 15w40. I am completely at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Can you help? Thanks
    116000 right now...i have been fixin it up and just found out that....alot of new parts right now
  • fordnomorefordnomore Member Posts: 1
    We had problems with our 05 F250 truck shaking violently and dealer finally found a bulletin that explained what we were experiencing. Solution was to replace everything in the front end. Did that and you can just tell the truck is not right. I am not a happy person right now with the way Ford has handled my problem but what can you do.
    No my truck doesnt shake or anything...the onlything it does right now...when you push on the gas it starts to makes a popping sound...
  • david77david77 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 F250 and have noticed a thump that occurs under the driverside floor with starts and stops. The dealer couldnt find anything. I look under the truck and dont see anything but the E brake cable and the frame. I thought the seat bolts were lose but they arent So any ideas? Thanks,dave
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Is your truck a Crew Cab? I had a similar weird thump under the cabin of my '01 F-350 Crew Cab on starts and stops when truck was brand-new. Also prevalent on low speed turns, especially on a slope. They didn't find any "thumbs" :P ;) under the floorboard. But, it turned out that my Cab mounting bolts were loose. Dealer torqued them to the proper spec and the noise has not come back. There's a bunch of bolts that have to be tightened from inside the cab, unfortunately, it's time consuming because you've gotta take out the seats, remove some trim pieces and pull back the carpet to get to them.
  • tcandsuetcandsue Member Posts: 4
    I replace the coil springs on my 2005 4x4 F-250 with stock F-250 coil springs and the problem is solved. The 4x4 springs are very stiff, and that causes the violent shaking when traveling at high speed and pot holes or rough freeway spots are encountered.
  • cssandorcssandor Member Posts: 1
    I just got today a 2006 Ford F250 Turbo diesel. After driving it for about 30 mi I got home and stopped the engine. I set the alarm and since then I can't turn on the engine!!! I would not start!!! I turn the key and nothing happens! Any suggestions?
  • bocacurebocacure Member Posts: 2
    I have the 92F150XLT and blew the tranny to smitherines at only 1,800 miles.Truck was just over the warranty in time,not mileage and Ford didn't want to know anything.Cost me $2,500.00 for a new trans.I swore I would never buy another Ford product but,lo and behold,I'm considering the 06 F150...Am I nuts????
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'm considering the 06 F150...Am I nuts????

Maybe! :shades:

There don't seem to be many widespread transmission problems on recent F150s, but you might like to read back as far as you care to go on this forum to educate yourself on the apparently unfixable vibration problems, and Ford's attitude toward their customers when they try to get a resolution.
  • waynedearwaynedear Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 model 250 diesel and 5 or six times I have experienced a stutter or momentary hesitation, like the old gasoline engine backfiring thru the carb. It happens only when the engine is getting up to speed and may not be completly warmed up. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it continue and is it a serious problem?
    Is there any reason you can't call your dealer and have it taken care of under warranty?
  • adiheadadihead Member Posts: 4
    My truck: It's a 1996 Ford F-250 7.3 L power stroke

Flashing wait to start light- truck shuts off and will not restart until wait to start light comes back on. Is random, has no warning, no pattern to problem, only does it every few days.

Truck also develops a very mild skip just prior to truck shutting off. After truck starts, skip doesn't seem to be present until problem occurs again.

I have replaced the following: Crankshaft sensor, IDM Module, PCM, fuel pump, fuel heater, ignition switch, removed and cleaned all known or visible grounds, changed type of oil from delo 15w40 to shell rotella 15w40.

I am completely at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Can you help? Thanks
  • ford624ford624 Member Posts: 75
    4byfour,
    My new Ford is a 2wd.
    I received nine thousand off the MSRP of my truck April 28th.
    I bought my truck from Frontier Ford in San Jose, California.
    Today, Friday the 26th of May is the beginning of Memorial Day weekend.
    This morning in the newspaper I saw ten thousand five hundred off.
    I am sure if you did a little shopping that you could do better.
    These Ford Trucks are so GOOD, that many die-hard Chevy lovers are buying them now.
    Happy Hunting and Good Luck.
    Jack
    I have a 1986 Ford F-150 302 just about 117000 miles on it...i need help fast with the problem....my truck wont start now....everytime i turn the key the truck turns on but for like 3sec and then dies...i have changed the fuel pump,fuel filter,ignition module,air filter,starter,battery,battery cables,...do i need to change the spark plugs,spark wires and iqnition coil as well...i done put to much in this truk and i really dont wanna give it up...it was running but one day wouldnt start...it has gas in it around 4G in it...can someone help me plezz....
  • jteleskyjtelesky Member Posts: 13
    The f-150 without question is the best truck of the lightweight division. Had vibration problem with mine and Ford Motor Co. took care of the situation. It is all in the way one approaches the problem; act like a gorilla and you will get no where. FORD is # 1........... :)
    I'm glad you had your particular issue taken care of correctly. Unfortunately, there are others here with vibration problems that Ford are unable to resolve.

By virtue of its design, probably associated with enhanced rigidity, the current F150 is highly susceptible to NVH problems. Some, like yours have an easy resolution. Others have proved impossible to fix. The causes are varied, as are the attempted fixes.

Acting like a member of the Pongidae family has nothing to do with it ;) . The problem exists, and Ford has yet to find a solution.
  • rockinpopparockinpoppa Member Posts: 12
    Anybody tell me what colors are the glove box light and where they plug in under dash behind glove box????? Thanks
  • twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    Have had my '04 F-150 Supercrew,Lariat,4x4 w/limited slip rear-end, 3.73 gears, and 5.4L Triton engine for about a year and a half. It has a little over 42,000 miles on it and suddenly on Saturday while just starting out the road at 40-50 mph it started shaking so violently that the windshield wipers were knocking against the windshield. Pulled over to see if I had a flat and nothing. Went on a 3 hour trip with no further problem. Sunday returned from 3 hour trip with no incident. Monday towed a boat about 7 miles with no problem. Tuesday no problem on 2 hour trip to a work site and none on the way home that evening. Wednesday morning exact same behavior as Saturday but I didn't stop as I was decelerating to a stop sign. Pulled on out and problem gone. Same problem this morning. Called Ford service locally and asked if Ford was having rotor problems and vibration problems as I had seen on here before but hoped I got lucky. Well, the service man heard of no rotor problem but heard of an Emergency Brake Actuator Switch problem. The kit installed is $165 plus tax and has two switches for each side. I am assuming the name isn't revealing as I figure this is a switch to control the ABS in conjunction with the Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD)system. It really pisses me off that I'm just out of warranty and this creeps up after virtually zero vibration problems. I religiously always pulled the park brake release 2 or 3 times out of habit even underway. Anyone heard of this?
  • canyonbluescanyonblues Member Posts: 5
    Just a thought. If this happens, does the shaking make the vehicle hard to steer? If so, Ford used to have a problem where the front crossmember rivets would work loose (not break or fall out)and would shake the vehicle until you came to a stop. Replace the rivets with the correct grade bolts and that should do it. You will need to hit the rivets with a hammer to hear which bolt is loose or have the dealership do it.
    Hope this helps.
    I must have had a door sensor go bad on my 2005 SuperCrew as my "Door Ajar" light and warning message came on--with no door open. The doors won't lock with the key in the ignition as it thinks a door is open--and the keypad won't work, either. The interior lights stay on after getting out of the truck--again because it thinks a door is open. Dropped it off at my Ford store last night. Hopefully it'll be something simple like a door sensor gone bad and I'll have it back by lunch. We'll see in a few hours, I guess.
    It turned out to be a module on the key pad that needed to be reset. Glad to have it back!
    My truck was not an easy resolution; your assumptions are wrong. Your philosophy lends itself to defeat. Regardless of the problem and mine was unfixable its in one's approach. good luck........
    Your philosophy lends itself to defeat. Regardless of the problem and mine was unfixable..........

To quote from your original post: "Had vibration problem with mine and Ford Motor Co. took care of the situation."

So apparently your problem wasn't unfixable?

I'm not sure where my (or any other) philosophy applies, but it appears that current model F150s have a vibration problem that seems to originate from a variety of different triggers. These vary from brakes, to drivetrain, to suspension, to steering, to wheels and tires. Fixes range from the mass replacement of parts, to the attachment of mass dampers to the pickup bed.

Sometimes the fixes work and sometimes they don't. For the owners who have trucks that fall into the 'don't' category, Ford has no solution. The usual response is along the lines of, "It's a design issue, not a quality or component defect. Therefore it's just a characteristic of the vehicle and not covered under warranty".

As I said before, I'm glad you had your problem fixed, but not everyone has been able to share your good fortune. I believe that the failure to achieve a positive result has less to do with the unhappy customer's attitude, than it has with Ford's inadequacies. :(
  • gtg285hgtg285h Member Posts: 1
    Cylinder #4 was misfiring. I noticed an excessive amount of oil in the spark plug cavity and on wire after I removed the wire from the plug. The wire was coated with oil. What might cause oil to get on ceramic area of plug but not on the piston side?
  • tadragtadrag Member Posts: 10
    Check to be sure it is oil, Mine had a coolant leak from some of the heater hoses which then got sucked down into the spark plug cavity. It was coolant although it was pretty dark probably because it was a very slow leak, I never added coolant.

My Ford guy said this was common and there was a kit available. I never got around to fixing it but sold the truck.
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    This may be a little out of the F150 owners club, but I'm considering buying an 06 Lariat 150, and I'm wondering if I'm making a good decision or not. I haven't owned a Ford product in a long time. You probably know the acronyms for Ford by now.

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

:confuse:
    Does the vibration go away after you come to a full stop?
    I suggest you read back over as many months as you can manage. (I've changed the title clarity.)
    This isn't an engine vibration problem.
    billingsley, I see not reason not to go for it. My 05 SuperCrew is wonderful. My neighbor 2 doors up just bought an 06 SuperCrew and he could not be happier. The new F-150 has been very well received and is doing well.

As far as acronymns go, the only one I am aware of is:

First
    On
    Race
    Day

Good luck!
    I hope not. I believe it is either a sensor/switch regarding the ABS/EBFD or the truck is switching into Fail Safe Mode and not running on all cylinders. Why do I say that? I tried to unplug the ABS fuses to see if that would cure the pulsating/vibration and the damn truck went into Fail Safe Mode and ran rough as hell. I replaced the ABS fuses with matching fuses from different locations in the fuse panel and after 3 driving cycles (per the manual) my check engine light went off. Truck drove fine for 2 days and then yesterday the vibration reappeared. I have 42,000 on this truck and this problem never surfaced until around 1,000 miles ago. I can't imagine something just isn't balanced so I have to believe it is electrical to have come on so suddenly. If that is the problem...Ford Motor Company owes me a lot of money for figuring it out since they haven't and it would save them a lot of shame and money if this is the cure.
    As I've said in a previous post, I believe the current style F150 has a tendency to develop unacceptable vibrations. These can be caused by a variety of triggers. Reported sources range from tires, to steering components, to suspension components, to shock absorbers, to propshaft, to axle components, to brakes (ABS problems, dragging emergency brakes, rotor and caliper problems), to name the most common ones.

Cure is often effected by replacement of the appropriate parts. The hard part is making a correct diagnosis. However, some people (read past history here) have had most or all of the above replaced, sometimes more than once, to no avail. Ford has even stooped to fitting inertial mass dampers to the pickup bed in some cases, and even this doesn't always work.

I hope that you've found a fix for your problem. However, I don't believe there's a universal fix for this, apart from a major redesign. Ford's current attitude to their F150 customers with these problems is probably the most economically viable for Ford, so I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon.
    "Ford's current attitude to their F150 customers with these problems is probably the most economically viable for Ford, so I wouldn't expect it to change anytime soon."

I would say that nothing will change any time soon because a small number of people are having problems. Consider how many of these they sell every year and then consider how few folks are complaining. I have no vibration. I know three people with 2005 or 2006 F150s and none of us have vibrations. Sorry yours has a vibration, but most of us do not. That is why Ford is no hurry to change a winning design after only 3 years in the run. Good luck getting your taken care of!
  • lharsinlharsin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1972 Ford F100 pick up truck. Headlights started cutting on & off when dimmer switch on high beam. Stopped & turned off truck to check if battery loose. Truck wouldn't start - just a click. Tried jumping from another vehicle - just buzzed and then click only.

Interior lights and headlights come on. I did previously have to replace a fuse to have truck start. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. I have to try to get my truck started to get it home.
    I never had the vibration either until 42,000 miles. Took it in yesterday and they said all 4 tires were out of balance and they balanced them and also said the tires were feathered. I know that's not what was causing this inadvertent problem. I just wish they knew what it was because I love the truck.
  • turkmcoturkmco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 excursion and i have the same problem. I went to a ford dealer and looked at a 2004 excursion and the lockouts would not turn on that either. I asked the parts department and they said that you have to turn them once a month for them not to freeze up like that. I asked if there were any recalls on them for it because it is a problem and they told me no.
    I should say "intermittent" rather than "inadvertent".
    Good luck with that. Will keep an eye on this as my miles get higher.
  • f150girlf150girl Member Posts: 1
    02 F150 sport (current miles 70,000)

I am the only owner of this F150 and oil changes, filters everything is done on schedule. At 50,000 miles I started the truck and it backfired & black smoke came out (first & only time this happened) but after that it started "not starting" on the first try only when I had less than 1/2 a tank of gas but now it does it sporadically no matter how much gas is in truck. And while driving (not sure how to describe this) but it feels like i'm pushing on gas & letting off over & over even though I'm not (constant pressure on gas peddle & it still does it). Have had system flushed 2xs, filters changed, been on computer 3xs & still they say nothing is wrong. Not sure if i've explained the problem well but any questions let me know. :confuse:
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    While the current F150 series seems to have garnered a rapid reputation for unsolvable vibration problems, and although it seems much more prevalent in Fords it must be noted that Ford trucks are not alone in this issue. GM trucks are having this issue as well.

There is always a point where engineers are on the edge of design limits. These vibration problems may just be the result of trying to temp the fate of the laws of physics.

Light duty truck manufacturers nowadays feel compelled to design their trucks to the butts of people that really want to drive cars that sit taller in the air. To make a truck carry heavy loads and provide a soft ride presents engineering with a conflicting set of physical design parameters. What has been done so far is to provide heavier weight linear springs with increasingly lighter non-linear shocks. This is a good combination for enticing secondary oscillations of the suspensions. Note Chevy and GMCs use of a two-leaf rear spring.

A good friend of mine just solved a eight-month ongoing problem of chassis vibration in his 2006 GMC by flipping the cost of a much heavier-duty front and rear shocks. The vibration is now completely gone (previously unsolvable by his dealer). But then again, so is that nice soft ride.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • tadragtadrag Member Posts: 10
    No, mine is definately related to emergency brake application. But it seems the only way it goes away is a little aggravating time on the road. I have stopped to check when in vibrating mode, and the cables are loose, but the rear brake disks are hot enough to make you think you will get a burn from touching them. It seems that over a few miles of driving the vibration gets less then finally goes away.

Dealer pulled e-brake drums and said all looked good.

Tom
    Mac24 Do you own a F-150 or are you just interested in an array of vehicle problems? It seems you are more reactive to a given situation that pro-active. Anyway ownership of a vehicle lends in itself validity. This has nothing to do with good fortune.
    Mac24 Do you own a F-150 or are you just interested in an array of vehicle problems?

Yes and yes.

I own an older model F150 which has been extremely reliable and gives excellent service. I would like to own a current model but can't justify doing so.

I'm also interested in an 'array of vehicle problems' as you put it, particularly if those problems are on vehicles that I own or have personal experience with.

I'm not sure I really understand your other comments.
    You seem to be very informed and a student of mechanics. Pertinent to the F-150 05 and 06 they are an outstanding truck despite some having the vibration,shake, rattle and roll issues. I had an 05 and was replaced by an 06 without any charges. It is in the method that gave me a new truck. Hope this clarifies my stance.
    In my opinion, I would paraphrase your statement to read 'The F150 would likely be an outstanding truck, if only it didn't have the propensity for vibration, shake, rattle and roll issues!'

I'm glad to hear that Ford did the correct thing in your case, which was to replace your faulty '05 with a presumably perfect '06. I wish I could be confident that they would do the same for me if I were to be unfortunate enough to purchase a faulty F150.
This discussion has been closed.