Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• tophamtopham Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 f-250 v10 engine seized at 98,000 miles. Two connecting rod bearings froze on the crank shaft. All other rod and main bearings are in excellent condition. Anyone else have similar problems?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    My condolences for you engine. Is it repairable or is cheaper to drop another V10 into the truck?

Haven't heard anything on V10s seizing spontaneously. Unfortunately, you're the first one I know of that wasn't caused by a punctured oil pan, or operator error (e.g.a loose filter, or a missing oil drain bolt). I know of a couple of folks with 125-150K on their V10s, and those motors are running strong.

Early V10s - 98-99 had a problem with internal clearances called Piston Slap. Ford had a siilent recall on those and replaced the motors if the owners complained. There was also the exhaust flutter caused by the manifold y-pipe design. They redesigned the pipe in '01 and the complaints went away. A small percentage of V10s have been reported to have blown out a spark plug. My feeling on that is that the owners didn't check the torque on their plugs and they worked loose and eventually blew out. Finally, there's been instances of broken manifold bolts which are evidently a real &^*%# to get out.
    By and large the V10 has been very robust and a worthy replacement for the old 460 cu in V8.

Again sorry about your motor.

Walt - '01 F350 XLT ,V10, 4x4, Crew Cab
  • twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    Well, dealer had truck for 3 days and logged over 125 miles on it. No vibration could be recreated. Mind you this isn't a trivial vibration, but a shudder. I get the truck back and log about 25 miles on it and it does it again only this time at 65 while reducing speed on the interstate. Taking it back Tuesday. FYI - NHTSA's website has complaints identical to mine. Vibration comes on around 40-65 mph and then subsides after a full stop.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    sounds like the vibration problem, from what I read in this forum, is isolated to the 4x4 version of the F150.

I have an '04 4x2 version and have experienced no vibration problems. My only gripe is dashboard creeks and ratles.

yes, there are more F150's on the road working just fine, but if you look at only the 4x4's, the problem does present itself as larger than Ford would want it to be.
    Ford replaced my emergency brake levers. Apparently Ford has re-engineered the emergency brake component due to a "rust weld" problem it is having wherein the cam won't let the emergency brake fully release and it causes the violent shudder until you stop. Although the F-150 has all around discs...the emergency brake, from what I understand, still has its own drum to function and this is where the problem is. So far so good since getting it back yesterday. Will keep you posted in a week if not sooner if this is the cure. :shades:
  • qazqaz Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Everyone I have a F250 v10 and all the guages on my dashboard stoped working so i cheacked the fuses and none of them were blown? :cry:
  • tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    Where is the jack stored on the 2006 F150 (regular cab 4x4)?
    Owner Manual says it is "behind the interior trim on the passenger side of the cab".
    What the heck does that mean? Footwell? Door panel trim? Rear wall trim?
  • debipsdebips Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 F-150 4x4 developed the same noises after 15,000 miles and the brake lights would come on randomly when no one was in the truck. I took it to the dealer the first time they put new brakes on the front in, then they said the grinding still happened after they drove it and Ford said to seed in the brakes (disc brakes, what a line of !@#). They did say that Ford had a bulletin on the problem. I drove the truck the next day had the grinding for 15 miles! second day no noises. I put the truck in 4x4 high drove it for 20 miles then 3 miles from the dealership I put it back in two wheel drive and the noise was louder then ever and didn't stop. They said the rear left wheel would not turn a whole rotate without the emergency brake locking up and they still have my truck. At least I figured out how to make the noise happen.
  • bboone52bboone52 Member Posts: 2
    I need help finding information on what rear end I have and what rear end would be best in my F350. I will be hauling a 3000lb slide in camper with a 17 ft skiff on a trailor. I know I have plenty of power and would like to change the rear end to help the fuel economy as the truck is also my primary ride when the camper is not being used. thanks
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    For best economy running empty, or with light loads, you want the highest gearing available. Loaded up with a slide-in plus a trailer, high gearing will not only give disappointing performance but terrible economy as well.

So low gearing for good performance and economy with a load, and high gearing for good performance and economy unladen (or great performance and terrible economy ;) ).

You need to pick one or the other.
    Get under the truck and look at the rear differential. There's a small metal tag attached to it. The ratio is stamped on there. eg. 373, 410, 430.

373 => 3.73:1 ratio - lowest torque + somewhat better mileage
    410 => 4.10:1 ratio
    430 => 4.30:1 ratio - highest torque + somewhat lower mileage
    twocar,

is your F150 a 4x4?
    It seems the vibration problem is isolated to the 4x4 version of the F150 ....

is that right?
    Yes, it is an '04 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat. And as I indicated last week...it's been a week and no more shuddering. I think it's fixed! :D
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Axle Codes are also on the Door Jam Sticker.

What year truck do you have?

2007 F-350 has a 4.10 standard..lost of dealers order them with 3.73 limited slips as an option or the X3L axle.

Chances are you already have the 3.73 so no changes is really available.

You either have:

X37 nonlimited slip 3.73
    X3L limted slip 3.73
    X41 nonlimited 4.10
    X4N limited 4.10
    X4L limted 4.3 (only available with V-10 or diesal with dual rear wheels.

Mark.
  • glennlinokcglennlinokc Member Posts: 2
    I dont know if this will get to you but what the heck. I have the same problem and Ford is making money of our misery. I am at glennlinokc@yahoo.com if you need to know more. :lemon:
  • marsh1marsh1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys... new to the forum, Im have the same problems 04 f-150 4x4 with the vibration along with the tires wearing on insides and out of the front tires... very disgusted with my truck after reading some of the post on here and other sites. sounds like i have to fight with ford to try to get the problems fixed.
  • david77david77 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the long time since my reply but thank you I'll check it out.
  • pilot4me2pilot4me2 Member Posts: 2
    How did you get ford to replace your truck.
    Alan Schmidt
    apilot4me@bellsouth.net
  • dheyinkdheyink Member Posts: 2
    ABS light now stays on. Have 114K miles and now when I start the truck, it will come on and then go off like normal. In reverse it stays off. Within 100 ft. going forward it comes on and stays on.
  • tkruegertkrueger Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2005 F-150 and I just now put 8,000 miles, so there's not a whole lot of miles just yet. My question to you is, at about 40-45 mph just slightly swirving to miss debry in the road my rear drivers side just caught the median wall, the tire, hub everything snapped right off the rear axle. I find this just slightly irregular. has anyone else heard of this kind of problems?
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Yep, heard of it....it's called a wreck. When moving objects meet immoveable objects thing tend to break
    I can understand you being a little miffed at the loss of your wheel and hub, but try to comprehend the forces involved.

Think of the mass of your vehicle travelling down the highway at 45mph, attached to which is a wheel spinning at high rpm, not just with the energy of rolling at 45mph but being driven by a powerful V8 with the power further stepped up by a series of gears in the transmission and rear axle.

Try to imagine what happens when all that kinetic energy impacts a solid immovable object (the median wall), and it's not too hard to see that something had to give. It's likely that if the axle hadn't snapped, the shock loading would have progressed through to the transmission and done serious damage there.

Yes, it's slightly irregular, but so was your treatment of the vehicle.
  • dheyinkdheyink Member Posts: 2
    Ok, first the ABS the other day, today, the overdrive light on shift lever flashes and then I lose my speedo. Drove a ways, light went off and speedo started working again.
    I guess it just went from being a potential ABS issue, to a possible loose or high resistance electrical connection.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Solicitation of any kind, especially for class action lawsuits, is specifically prohibited by the Membership Agreement.

It is also extremely dangerous to post your name and address in a message - such posts will also be deleted for your own protection.

kcram - Pickups Host
    2,000 miles after buying my new '04 Fl50, I noticed my rotors were warped - I could tell by the way my steering wheel would vibrate when braking on a down hill.

Ford turned(lathed) the rotors and it seemed to work from there. But now at 20,000 miles and still under warranty the rotor warp has returned.

I thought I heard from some in this forum long ago that Ford realized that the rotors on the early '04's were not big enough for the new model and they got their rotors replaced.

After 20,000 miles is it reasonable for me to have the rotors replaced given the history of this part?

thanks for the opinion.
    Seems reasonable to me as well, though who knows if your dealer will see it that way.

Incidentally, machining brake rotors will always shorten the time until they warp again, because removing material reduces the mass and therefore its ability to dissipate heat.
    Consider your driving habits. Are you waiting to the last second before you being to brake? Do you hold your hot brake pads against the rotors while you sit at a stop light?

In all my life I never warped a set a rotors. Yet my dad is constantly warping his rotors He drives as described above.

Mark.
  • sts73sts73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - For our business we have a Ford F-550 7.3L diesel. It has trouble starting after it sits for a couple days, like over a weekend. We have had it in and out of repair shops but no one can diagnose the problem. When you go to start it, it cranks over but won't start right away. Eventually it will start. The injector lookes oil pressure. It doesn't smoke excessively, runs normal, and has lots of power and the engine seems to be fine. Anyone have any ideas that might help us fix this problem? Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't know this truck in particular, but if it uses a glow plug system for starting, that's certainly where I'd look first.
  • rocky29rocky29 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 ford f 150 lariat 4x4 5.4 v8 wheni start the truck it shuts off i will have to gas it then drive it it will stay on but when running for awhile it wont shut off ill turn it on it will start right up with out shutting off but when sitting for a long time it will not start it starts then shuts off with a sec or 2 can some one please help thank you from ny rock
    Just to let everyone know...

Opened a new discussion that will be exclusively for the vibration issues of the current-design F150 - click here to add your comments. The existing posts from this discussion will be moved there (give me a little time, there's a LOT of them).

kcram - Pickups Host
    Good call. I know there's a vibe problem, you know there's a vibe problem, most of us here know there's a vibe problem............now, how long will it take for Ford to accept that they have a vibe problem?
  • scubarashscubarash Member Posts: 4
    i have replaced everything on the truck that is fuel related from the pump to filter to fuel pump relays to fuel pressure regulator but it still does the same thing. The fuel pumps run for a long time before shutting off and you cannot crank the truck until they stop. Any Ideas? Please help me before i waste any more money on this truck. :confuse:
    Since you say you have more than one fuel pump, I'm assuming you have an older F-series pickup - one with dual tanks.

Have you actually measured the fuel pressure in the system?
    The pumps should shut off within a few seconds once you turn on the ignition key once the system reaches operating pressure. The pumps then resume once the engine is running. Since the pumps are running for a long time, something's not letting the pressure build up.

You don't say what year it is. Some of the dual tank arrangements had a pump in each fuel tank, and then a Hi-pressure pump in the main line to the engine. Others just had the two tank mounted fuel pumps and a check valve/switch gizmo.

Possible you could have a bad check valve which would just force fuel back into the other tank. (Do you tanks really hiss when you open the gas caps? Do they ) Or a bad hi-pressure pump.
  • scubarashscubarash Member Posts: 4
    This is a 1990 model f-150. I have checked both of the of the fuel pumps and replaced the back tank pump. There is no high pressure fuel pump anywhere that i can find. The fuel pressure is fine had that checked. I have also replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump relays and the fuel filter. I have checked the li es and the fuel is returning to the appropriate tank. Any other ideas? I was told that it might be an ignition switch is this possible? Since that is the only thing else that controls the running ofthe fuel pumps. And also could it be possible that the gas caps are not sealing properly? Seems far fetched but just wondering. Thank you for your help. Steve :confuse:
    We are going to begin a de-emphasis of this discussion as the "be-all end-all" when you have an issue. If you go up one level to the Ford F-Series Group, you will see quite a few new discussions that are focusing on various areas of the F-Series trucks. We would like you to start using these and we will hopefully save this "Problems & Solutions" area for things not listed. As time allows, I'll be moving posts from here to the new discussions to give them some foundation.

If you think there is a particular subject that doesn't yet have a separate discussion and should, let me know! :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • ncowgerncowger Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: :cry: hi there,we have this 96 f250 superduty powerstroke and you can start it up and it will run for a few minutes and dies we have changed the cam sensor,icm,checked all wiring for shorting out and nothing solved,the idm relay keeps clicking and when it clicks it wont start? please can someone help me.
  • tmichtmich Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 f-150 6cyl. auto just developed a miss today. I drove it to work with no problems and then it sat through downpours all day. I had no problem starting it after work, but I noticed it had a dead miss. I think One cyl. is't firing. I now have 70k hwy. miles on it and I had to replace 2 vacumn modules to get my ck. eng. light to go out for inspection. That was 4 mos. ago and everything has been fine until this afternoon. I have been reading about spark plug problems on this page, Could it really be that simple. When do I need to change them realistically? I haven't done anything except change the oil on time and the air filter once a year. They told me when I bought it that I wouldn't need a tune-up for 100k miles. Did I dream this?
    I got my rotors replaced today under warranty - new pads too, so I'm a happy Ford customer today.

The new rotors have a different metal alloy that can handle the weight of the new F150 better. Ford upgraded this part on later '04 models from what I understand.

I'm really a conservative driver, but do occasionally pull a light pop up trailer to the Sieras - only 1,200 pounds.
  • garett1garett1 Member Posts: 2
    99 E-150 4.2L V-6. Over 400,000 miles on original motor (American Quality). My problem is the a trouble code that is causing me to fail emission testing. Failed speed sensor code, check engine and abs dash lights are both on. I replaced the sensor and still nothing. Also the speedometer is still not working. I have to correct the code, and suggestions?
    Sincerly,
    Proud Ford owner
    Since you have an E-150, you may want to stop in the Full Sized Vans discussion. F-Series owners probably won't be able to help you much beyond the engine.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • emtdawnemtdawn Member Posts: 26
    I'm glad you wrote so much. We have a 05, F-150 and are dealing with almost the same thing. Our vibrations are at 65 up to 72mph. The have aligned the truck, replaced the calipers, taken the rotors down a little, indexed the tires/wheels, and now want to do that again, but oh, somewhere in the middle of that, I needed two new tires..and then two more new tires.. $600 dollars later and guess what..It was never the tires. We didn't have this problem until Ford got a hold of the truck to do an alignment..we just had a pull to the right and too much travel in the brakes.. Now, we are about $1,000 out, 8 trips to the Ford Dealer and several rentals later. We go again tomorrow because they didn't want to pay for the rotors to be turned again.. gee... the idiot couldn't even look up on his computer that they had already done that two weeks earlier... and also indexed the tires/wheels then too. We are in Crystal River, Florida.. so I guess when Mr. Ford decides how he wants to save his company.. he should start asking us.. Thanks again for the info.
    Dawn
    Don't know about the average, but our 1994, 4x4 was always taken care of with regular maintenance and we still have it. We have 268,000 + miles on it. Doesn't burn oil, no leaks and the engine purrs like a kitten. Body is in good shape too. We have a 2005 that is giving us the vibration trouble..they are trying to say it's everything that they have already done and doing again.
    Pretty sure you are going to have to get into the gear box to fix that. Good luck.
    Could be you are pumping up dirt or water that is in the fuel tank. drop the tank and flush it and start there. Once you do that, then replace the inline fuel filter too. This could very well be a water problem if not dirt.
    Mirrors my experience on my '93 5.0 XLT, which was built back when job quality really was #1. Regularly serviced, over 175k+, only parts replaced were normal wear items like wipers, belt, brakes, tires etc. Held off from purchasing the first model year of the 'new' F150 and I'm so glad I did.

I know what you mean about Ford of Crystal River, but don't think too badly of the techs. Their reimbursement for warranty work is pretty sad. :(
  • tcandsuetcandsue Member Posts: 4
    Have you had anymore severe vibration problems on your Ford pickup? FYI, I repalced the front coil springs and it handles very good now. The original 4800 coils were tooo stiff. The new ones are rated 4000. Total cost was $184.00. Best Regards, Tom.
  • england5england5 Member Posts: 1
    Exactly the same thing has just happend to my 2000 F250. Yesterday the ABS, O/D light flashing and the speedometer.
    Today the check engine light joined the party. Did you find out what the problem was?
    You need to have your head examined.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.