Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• ny_wpny_wp Member Posts: 2
    compared to mine thats an excellent deal, I got a quote of 36moX382 for 12k with 1300 total down & msrp of 26990 of komfort trim with heated seats

so how did you negotiate? I think my dealer has excess inventory so i'm in good position.

thanks
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    I had never leased a car. When buying a car we can negotiate the purchase price. But for lease, can you also negotiate the base price of the car on which the lease payment is calculated? And the otehr terms like milges/ per year, APR and down payment? For lease it's probably more tricky because when the purchase price is not good you can simply walk away and go to see another dealer or brand.
  • review1000review1000 Member Posts: 8
    ok here it is, I had 4 dealers I was working with, first to see right off who would give me the best price, also i mentioned i did research on Edmunds and know what they are selling for. I also did NOT state i was leasing at first but then later told them, but not much for prices changed. I started at one dealer he said price was for 428. month 0 down and 12K. I snickered, and said thank you and bye.
    so now I had 3 others to go with. one my wife just hated the sales man he was low but very arrogant, I have lowest prices and now one can beat me. then said are you gonna buy this car or not, so later I said, "NOT"
    now we have 2 dealers, one my wife really liked the salespersonlady, oh how she seemed so caring for our needs, I told my wife dont be suckered inn she is still a sales person. while my wife was working with her i had a side deal with the last dealer, who right off the bat gave me a great deal no negotiating.
    My wife said that the person made her lowest offer and the next day i said to her how about goinh ten dollars cheaper on the monthly payments and go into holdback to make it happen she said the typical ill get back to you, and guess what she went 10 less, I said to my wife if she already said it was lowest she could go then why and how did I get ten dollars cheaper??? So the other dealer was already 15 less than her and I said we will go with you if you also throw in rubber mats for winter and rain FOR FREE!!! no added price since i asked him for all the numbers and he gave them all to me before i asked for free mats.
    So here is the deal i worked out.
    I got a 2008 KOMFORT Passat (NOT A BASE MODEL) fully loaded of MSRP 28,854. dealer invoice 24,612. purchase price of car for me 23,012. and what ever he did the payments are 266.00 with 10K per year, (that is all we need ) we have a second car. the only thing I am sure they got me on was a doc fee for 299.00 was prebuuit in the lease contract. I am sure and know they made out also but as long as my payments are where i want them I am happy, and my wife is also, Now we are going from a 2004 leased Audi a4 with buyout of 15,897, to just returnung that to the dealer and going into this VW. it is bigger, smoother ride and fun to drive also. alot more leg room in rear.

email me if you need a one on one with questions, review1000@yahoo.com
  • greatcarsgreatcars Member Posts: 66
    I think you did great. The08 Komfort has the MSRP 27900 and Invoice of 26064 on its national base price tag without any options. And you got dealer invoice 24,612 and purchase price of car for you 23,012 on a fully loaded one. That's incredibly good and the best deal I have read and are like the price for the 2.0T base model price without options. Would that price be good if purchase instead of lease? I guess it was.
  • jack108jack108 Member Posts: 1
    sounds like you did really well, you put down 2,000 right?
    yes it was a lease only, and dont know what it would of been buying it,
    Yes I did put 2000. down which we did not want to do but it worked that way for us, each 1000 only raised or lowered it by 26 dollars.
    Really I dont know if we reaLLY got a good deal or not.
  • jay2001jay2001 Member Posts: 19
    That seems like a great deal.
    Did the $2000 include drive off fees (1st month , plates, etc) ? Is it a 39 or 36 months lease?
    Thanks for the info.
  • 64221306422130 Member Posts: 47
    I am interested in the sign and drive deal. The base model appears to be $329/12K. Was wondering if the residual % and money factor are the same for the Komfort and Lux models/ Also, is there a similar (lower monthly) on 39 months?

Thanks!
  • shocktroop214shocktroop214 Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a Komfort Passat for 36 months/ 12,000 miles
    heated seats, rear airbags, window tint
    adjusted cap cost 25554
    money factor .00023
    no sales tax (military family will register in NY where there is a sales tax deferment)
    payment is 322.00 per month
    1st month's payment was made by VW Credit
    this deal was done at Findlay VW in Las Vegas, NV and we were able to negotiate everything over email and drive down and get the car.
    Sales person was John Coats.
  • reducedpaymentreducedpayment Member Posts: 5
    So i went back and forth, i hate car shopping, it always causes a headache, I never want to hear someone getting a better price than me, i just dont want to be scammed by these car sales people....

So my final selling was based on 2 options:
    1) $1900 down (basically to cover fees) and $256 a month for a 36 month lease at 12000 miles a year

OR

2) $0 down and $314 a month for a 36 month least at 12000 miles a year

I think i am going with the $314 a month.

Yes this is for the komfort, with heated seats, i pod connection and i was able to get them to thrown in a cargo tray and the wall weather mats....

do you think thats a reasonable price?

I hope so because i tried to get another dealership to beat this offer, and i couldnt....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Sign and drive for $314/mo.?

Sounds like a good deal for a Passat.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I was thinking so, i really hate overpaying and being taken advantage of. Let me ask you, is there such a thing as paying the destination charge on a lease? I dont think so because one dealership was trying to put that in and i refused to pay it. So, i went to another dealership and worked out the right deal and it came with the ipod accessory, which i didnt care about, and because of that i was able to get them to throw in the all weather mats and the cargo tray for the truck, which i know i will use....

I really wish the Komfort came in manual, it would make the car so much more fun, dont you think?

Thanks.
    A lot of dealers try to add in additional fees, after you've negotiated a price.. It's just a tactic to get you to pay more for the car..

The destination fee is part of the price of the car.. It's on the sticker, and on their invoice... Trying to add it after the price has been negotiated is no different than trying to add an extra $1000 for the sunroof (that's on the sticker and invoice, too, right?).

The only legitimate fees are:

acquisition fees on leases... these go to the bank.. they can be rolled into the lease payment, though..

Government fees: Title, license, tire tax, etc..

Most dealers also add some sort of document fee.. ostensibly for doing the paperwork (like they could sell cars without doing the paperwork?). These are mostly BS, also, but I don't squawk much if it's under $100, and nothing else weird is showing up. CA restricts doc fees to $55, Ohio $250, NY $45 (I think)... GA and FL are famous for the $399-$699 doc fee.. Not sure how that got started..

Manual tranny would be great... The only way for me to get one anymore, is to buy a car my wife wouldn't drive, anyway... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    Hi reduced payment...I'm going in this week to lease a Passat Komfort. Sounds like you got a great deal. A few questions - assume this is a sedan and not a wagon? Was Gap insurance included in price? What was the Cap cost? Money Factor used? Thx.
    Hey there Bjss,

Thanks for your message.

I think i am getting a great deal because all other dealers would not include any amenities....

This is my first lease, so regarding the GAP insurance that is a great question and I will be sure to bring it up when i go to pick up the car.

As for the cap cost, i beleive it was around $23000, basically the selling was $28600 (approx) and then VW is having some great rebates, PLUS you negotiate.... I was taken into a private room to discuss the deal as they did not want anyone else to hear the offer i was getting....

As for the Money factor, what do you mean? Are you asking whether I would be putting any money down?

A few recommendations, sales people can and usually are scum, they will lie through their teeth if they have too, BUT you can do the same. The dealership where I am finally getting my car, the guy is very nice and I told him the other dealership started playing with numbers too much and I didnt like it, so i tried him and I told him the "price the other dealership gave me" which was the price i really wanted to pay, and he accepted and i requested he include the all weather mats and he said sure.

I cant wait to pick up the car, the turbo is awesome. :shades:

My price also did include an owner loyalty, my sister owns a 2003 passat and is registered at the same address as me, SO that offers an additional incentive.

Let me know what other questions you have, I would really love to help anyone out if possible. Also, if anyone lives in the NY area, i would not mind helping with the wheeling and dealing. :)
    Glad to hear you got such a good deal....I'm planning on bringing the same numbers you got to my dealer tomorrow. I currently own another VW (2002 Passat Wagon), love it and would like a new sedan. Looks like owner loyalty rebate is ~2K - is this what you got? Also, I am new to leasing, but I believe the Money Factor is the interest rate you will be paying for the lease (usually described in numbers like .00031, then you have to multiply by 24 to get the 'true APR).
  • jay2001jay2001 Member Posts: 19
    reducedpayment
    You said "...sales people can and usually are scum, they will lie through their teeth if they have too...".
    That's an odd statement coming from someone who in the same sentence admits to cheating and lying to the "nice" salesman. You know what they say about people who live in glass houses, don't you?
    Being in sales myself (not auto though) I must conclude that people who use "reducedpayment" as their forum handle are themselves, well, "scum".
    Dear Jay,

Thanks for the compliment..... maybe i can be considered like robin hood? Why put the money in the pocket of the company that makes million, its better in mine, so if it is to my benefit, why not? The salesman can be nice, by being straight and up front, but he always has something in his sleeve, or at least i think with car buying this is the thought process a person needs to have..... otherwise a person is asking to get ripped off (even if it is for $5 a month)

Maybe i should rephrase my statement? But you can call me "scum" if you wish, however if i am getting what I am looking for and not getting jipped for it or at least getting the best bang for my buck, then i could care less what you call me....

Go ahead pay what you wish for the car, but the buying experience is a game, whether you wish to admit/realize it or not, you either play or get suckered, my question is which do you prefer? and then depending on your answer, my next question is "do you really think the sales person cares to give you the best deal possible? (not matter how nice and "genuine" they are)

My choice is to play the game and if i cannot win i dont buy.......
    Dear Bjss,

Thanks for the info on the money factor, i will definitely look into it and let you know....

The owner loyalty rebate is for 2K, this is one of the rebates i ended up with....

I would actually like to bring everyones attention to the April 2008 Consumer reports guide which talks about "2008 best and worst cars"... in the "Family category", which is where the Passat is classified, it is in the Least Reliable column, which kills me because it seems like a good car and many people i know with older models love the car.... The Prius, Sonata (4 cyl), Camry Hybrid , Dusion and Milan are considered to be most reliable in that category....

What do you think about this?

As for fuel economy, it does state the passat 2.0t as have a great MPG at 24 MPG average...

Also, the father of a 4 yr old and a new born due in 3 weeks, it crash test ratings to help me feel comfortable....

As always, different cards meet different life styles, always do your research and determine what is best for you...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jake555. Volkswagen is currently providing $750 lease cash on the 2008 Passat 2.0T. So a selling price of $500 under invoice is really equivalent to $250 over, which is still a very attractive price. Also, in mid-February Volkswagen raised its owner loyalty cash on this car from $1,500 to $2,000. Keep this in mind if you have not finalized your deal yet. This looks like a pretty good deal to me, just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor of .00023 to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business. Volkswagen's money factor for 48 month leases of this model is much worse than its 36 month factor.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi scottinky. Volkswagen is currently providing a $750 cash incentive on leases of 2008 Passat 2.0T models through VW Credit. In addition to this, it has a $2,000 cash incentive for just about everyone (loyal customers or current owners of other vehicles). Make sure that you take this $2,750 in cash incentives into account when you negotiate the selling price for the Passat that you are interested in.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi 6422130. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 VW Passat 2.0T Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00023 and 50%, respectively. I don't think that Volkswagen is offering support on 39 month leases of this car, but I could be mistaken. When negotiating your lease on this car keep in mind that Volkswagen is currently providing a total of $2,750 in cash incentives on it. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    I am upset only because of the "OWNER LOYALTY TO VW" I have owned 2 audi through VW Credit and my sister had a VW passat 4 years ago, and I went now from an Audi to a Passat and I do not get any owner loyalty because it is not a VW car still same manufacturer and VW credit but I dont get it should I try to fight for it???
    Hi review1000. Unfortunately, the fact that your sister had a Passat several years ago will not help you qualify for the owner loyalty cash. The fact that you have leased or financed an Audi through Audi Financial Services might, if you still currently have the vehicle. Even then I am not sure that it would. If I am not mistaken though, I believe that in addition to owner loyalty cash, Volkswagen has $1,500 "conquest" cash for current owners of competitive vehicles who lease or finance a Passat through VW Credit. If you don't qualify for the $2,000 loyalty offer, you probably would qualify for the conquest cash.

Car_man
    Host
    I understand CAR Man, what you are saying. I just thought I just returned my Audi end of lease and VW Credit had to do the inspection of the car also. so that is why I dont understand why I do not get anything for at least staying with the family.
    thank you,

I am going to keep hounding VW Credit. I will keep you posted.
  • ibeme78ibeme78 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Reducedpayment - it seems like you got a great deal!

I'm in the NY area (long island) and I'm looking for a 2008 Passat Komfort. We currently have an '04 passat, so we'd get the loyalty discount, too.

I'm wondering which dealers you went to and ultimately used, and how else you can possibly help.

Also, do you think the recent interest rate drop will even lower the payments?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Still waiting for a response from the dealer on a Passat lease. You would never know the auto industry is in a slump by my experience so far. While I was having work done on my current 02 passat wagon, I visited with the salesman (that sold it to me in 2002), told him I was interested in leasing another. He promised to email me the details by end of day. No response. 2 days later, back in dealership to pick up my passat (had timing belt replaced), saw him again, he was very apologetic, said he totally forgot' and would send me an email by end of day. 3 more days go by, no email. I sent one to the dealership today...the salesman sends back a 'form letter email' asking me what car I am interested in, etc...is this crazy or what? Business must be good for him....I think it's time to move on to another dealer (or at least Salesperson).
  • rmw1rmw1 Member Posts: 1
    Would the Residual Value be different from a Passat Komfort to a Lux Edition. The dealer wants to charge me over $50 per month more, being that the MSRP difference is around 1800. I am actually getting an exceptional deal on the Komfort I am getting the car for 36 mths for 325 with taxes and 15000mi/yr. My guess is because the dealer doesn't have any Lux in stock he wants to convince me to go for the Komfort. Does anybody know if the Residual Value is actually different on any of these two versions to make up for the difference?
  • thailuxthailux Member Posts: 7
    I jsut got a 2008 Passat Komfort - Heated Seats & iPod Adapter.

MSRP - 29014
    Base Cap Cost - 26500
    Incentives - 1850
    Money Factor - .00023
    Residual - 50%
    Sales Tax - 7%
    Monthly Payment - 311
    36/12k

No money down and no out of pocket.

Sound good?
    Sounds pretty good to me. Question - is the residual value based on the MSRP or the Cap Cost? Looks like MSRP
    Yes, seems like it. Though, and I hate to admit this, I'm not sure.

And, if based on the MSRP, it would make the monthly payment lower, correct?
    Correct - and running your numbers through the Lease calculator on Edmunds, it looks like it is based on the MSRP. Enjoy your Passat!
  • shtutmanshtutman Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me where you got such a deal : $311 with no money out of pocket with 12,000 miles a year for 36 month.
    I am a current Jetta owner and best deal I have is $322 with 10,000 miles and dealer is paying my last payment on Jetta which is $215
    I am in the Albany area in upstate NY.

If you're not in the area, here's my advice - Just be stern, strong-willed and patient. They started me at 340 per month and taxes and fees down. They also said they had to charge extra because they didn't have my car on the lot. I told them I didn't want anything down, so they removed it. (They keep going back and forth to their manager - it's mostly for show! I used to never bargain like this for cars and probably got fleeced a few times, but this time I went in with a plan.)

They kept saying $340 was all they could do, so I pulled out my research. I had looked earlier in the day and found out that other dealers in the area had the Passat in the color I wanted - one dealer had 7! So, I basically said, "Tell me why I should pay you extra for the car, when I can go to the other dealers and buy it straight?" Immediately, they went down to $325. They kept trying to meet in the middle. This is where you have to be patient and willing to leave. I just kept waiting them out and saying that I didn't want to pay extra for the color, etc. etc. Eventually, after many trips, they pulled the "If I can get you this price will you sign tonight?" I said sure and the rest is history.

With your trade, you should get $2000 in incentives so you should do fine. I traded in a car, so that helped, but the $2000 is a great deal. My Father-in-law just did better than me a day later on Long Island. He got the same car, with the all-weather mats, for $309 nothing down or out of pocket. He was turning in a Jetta as well. The dealer took one payment and he had to pay the other. So, I think you're in good shape. Just be strong, persistent and willing to leave. Have another dealer as a backup plan.

Good Luck!
  • shtutmanshtutman Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Tjank you for your reply.
    If you can let me know which dealer on Long Island your Father in Law was dealing with?
    I'm so sorry to be so late in replying!

My father-in-law got his Passat at King's Volkswagen in Brooklyn. He said he didn't even have to bargain, the salesman just offered the $309 price.

Good Luck!
  • mnvw06mnvw06 Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday, I got 08 VW passat LUX for $345/pm 36 months lease with protection kit, $0 out of pocket and first two services free!!! This was after loyalty money. :)
    Sounds like a great deal. What dealership did you use?
  • carrerahcarrerah Member Posts: 23
    Hi, I'm thinking about leasing a Passat Wagon - the deals just seem to good to pass up right now! Quick question on your numbers. Wouldn't your payments actually be higher if the residual was based on MSRP vs a negotiated (lower) cap cost? Also, it's been awhile since I had a VW or financed through VCI. I was planning on going in and starting at below invoice and trying to get the buy rate money factor vs the advertised .00030. Any thoughts here are apprecited. In Norther California - plenty of cars on the lots...
    The deals do seem pretty good right now...and I don't think it's changing anytime soon. I'm not the leasing expert, but I beleive the residual value (in % terms) is based off of the MSRP. Your monthly payments would be based on the difference between your Cap cost (negioated rate) and Residual value (+Money Factor). Edmunds has a good leasing calculator..it's worth cehcking out. Now, if I could just get my VW salesperson to return my emails/calls..... :confuse:
  • wagon2wagon2 Member Posts: 1
    Deal thailux:
    I am also in Albany area. Which dealer did you use? How do you negotiate the lease terms. The money factor is not advertized. They tell me that the 349 a month for a wagon advertized on the web is already discounted. What are the incentives that you list in your lease ? Thank y ou.
    I got the money factor from this forum - .00023, though I think it is different for the wagon. The incentives that I got were the 1500 for trading in a nissan. (Old Altima, high mileage.) They also told me that the advertised price for the Turbo with automatic trans was the best they could do, but, as you can see that's not so.

In addition there was a dealer incentive of $750 last month for leases of a Passat. I am not sure if that's still going on.

Finally, you just have to use the calculators online and make sure that the price they are selling the car for is a good one.

I leased my car at Cooley Volkswagen.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Here is the deal I was just emailed.

Now keep in mind that I am planning to lease a new 08 Accord!! I have
    my heart set on a EX-L 4cyl, with Navi, BUT........
    Requires $2k to be in the same payment range as the Passat!!

2008 VW Komfort Passat
    MSRP: $29,000
    Standard lease specs
    $324 a month

$0 DOWN!!!

This means keeping my money in the bank, still drive a very nice car, a few more options than the accord... But I really love the new accord!! I totally have my heart set on it, but after all it is only a lease. But, this blows the Accord lease out the door!! What do you guys think I should do...
    Also, I saw a $311 payment on this same model, can I get to that payment!?

What would you do? They are both great cars, but this is really interesting.
    For that price, I'm driving a Passat... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Okay, I test drove the Passat. Komfort package, it was great!

Cobalt Blue, Awesome, unique color!! Sporty. Black leather interior.
    Really loved it!! I noticed the HUGE trunk space!!! I can go on trips in this baby!

Realistically for a lease, $0 down! This is a true lease and what leasing is about,
    financially the Passat is more realistic than the accord right now, The accord lease cannot touch this. As much as I love the Accord, this is not going to feel much different really, because it drove very similar to the Accord, and similar options.
    Plus, I think it has a bit more fun factor with the tiptronic and controls for that on the steering wheel. Heck, I am getting a MSRP 29,000 for $324 a month, $0 down, I think one would be crazy not to make a move on that. After all the Accord will always be there, and its not saying that the accord is superior to all other brands, there are many other great brands.
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    what do you think my chances would be of getting loyalty cash? i own an audi allroad (a VW subsidiary) and if is leased throug vw/audi. Also what is the level on a passat 3.6 vr motion wagon? such a rebate would make a huge difference on a new lease. Thanks
  • kmhawkkmhawk Member Posts: 3
    Just leased a 2008 Passat Komfort with heated seats and ipod adapter for only $320/month including tax. 36 month lease with 15K miles/year. Absolutely NO money out of pocket. This includes owner loyalty of $2000.

There definitely are great deals going on now for these cars, especially if you qualify for the additional owner loyalty incentive.
    Yes, great deals!! I am in the middle of a deal on the Passat Komfort and my payment is going to be about $330 or so, give or take a few bucks, only because I have an 06 Accord lease trade in, and well, even with Honda, the trade value is slightly lower than my payoff, but hey, not bad at all!! This is on a $29,000 car, loaded with all the goodies, including the special passat mats. Beautiful creamy blue color, not the baby blue, but the actual blue, I think they call it colbalt blue, its is awesome!

I also got the $2,000 for my trade, and got another $1,700 off for being the same household as another VW owner. TOTAL: $3,700 off, of INVOICE for the car, I believe I am getting the car for $21-22k range, which is amazing for what I am getting!!

Now, I really have to make a choice soon, because I love my Accord, but my lease is slowly up, and the Accord lease on the 08 is too expensive! I would have to put down like $2k just to be where I am at, when I can get a $29k with $0 down!!

I know, its like, what am I waiting for, but I love my Accord, but the Passat is one amazing car, lots of toys, and the fun factor is high, especially with the tiptronic with shifters on the steering wheel. It really feels like my Accord, same feel, and drive, very similar in size. Well, I will let you know what I do.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    what do you think my chances would be of getting loyalty cash? i own an audi allroad (a VW subsidiary) and if is leased throug vw/audi. Also what is the level on a passat 3.6 vr motion wagon? such a rebate would make a huge difference on a new lease. Thanks

Your chances are very close to zero. Rules of the promotion are very clear - VW 2001 and newer. Audi, Bentley, Lambourgini, etc, do not qualify.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Hi, I'm thinking about leasing a Passat Wagon - the deals just seem to good to pass up right now! Quick question on your numbers. Wouldn't your payments actually be higher if the residual was based on MSRP vs a negotiated (lower) cap cost?

Residual is ALWAYS calculated from MSRP, before rebates, discounts, etc.
This discussion has been closed.