Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    slcgrrlslcgrrl Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at leasing a VW Passat Komfort. So far, best offer in Cincinnati area is as follows:
    - MSRP: $30+/-
    - Invoice: 26,790
    - Monthly: 391
    - Miles: 12K
    - R/V: 14798 for 12K
    - Money: .00024 (57%APR)
    - Money down: 0

Based on what you read in media, it's a great time to buy a car. Now that the 09 Passat Wagon is out and the lease deal that's going on, I would expect better pricing and, therefore, better monthly payment. Anyone have any insights or recos to make this work harder? I'm looking for something in the $325-$350 range. Should I wait until later in the year to re-consider? Thanks.
  • Options
    brendanm14brendanm14 Member Posts: 16
    This is what I just got from my dealer for a Passat VR6 4Motion Wagon....the residual seems to be very low.

36 month residual 45%
    money factor 0.00056
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here's the latest info, jsiggy1. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Passat Sedan 2.0T with 15,000 miles per year with 15,000 miles per year are .00018 and 59%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00018 and 46%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    jackforettejackforette Member Posts: 19
    Thank you very much Car_Man.
  • Options
    Congratulations on getting your new Passat, tballs. I'm glad that you've found these forums so helpful. Thanks for taking the time to give back by sharing the details if your deal. Don't forget to hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi treebee. Consumers cannot calculate what the money factor should be for their vehicle. Banks publish a list of factors that dealers must use. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Passat Wagon 2.0T is .00024.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    You're welcome jackforette.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    melohellomelohello Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,
    I am leasing an 06 Passat under the intention that I wouldn't go over the mileage but unfortunately we moved out of state and my new job forced me to become a commuter. With just 2 years in, I am 10000 miles over. I have a 4 year lease plan.

Anywho, I wanted to know, if I wanted to turn my car in next month before the lease was over, how does that work under the Driver's Option plan? I remember my sales manager told me that I could turn it in early or sell it myself.

What if I wanted to buy a new/used VW - would the overage be charged to the new car or would I have to pay it off upfront? Could I go to another dealer (i.e. Nissan) and trade in my leased VW for another vehicle? I"m trying to figure out how all this works... :cry:
  • Options
    ken1496ken1496 Member Posts: 11
    Thinking about purchasing VW Passat Wagon at the end of 36mo lease. Any feedback appreicated.

TMV price $16,404 (does the cost include CA sales tax?)
    Purchase price $15,619 (all inclusive)

VW Credit 6.34%
  • Options
    crsdoccrsdoc Member Posts: 8
    I am awaiting lease info (resid and money factor) from my dealership, but they gave me a no-haggle price of 31,900 for a Lux with DVD nav/Dynaudio/protection kit.

Here's my question...the Lux I test drove did NOT have paddle shifters. The website says it should have them, the sales guy claimed Lux's don't have them.

What gives with the paddle shifters? Should a Lux have them?
  • Options
    jetsfan2jetsfan2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering leasing a Passat Komfort (New Jersey)

heated seats with Ipod adaptor
    msrp 27,800 (approximately)
    invoice 26,754
    36 months
    money factor.00018
    Residual 46%
    2,500 down
    12,000 miles a year
    not a previous VW owner

Quoted $356.98 and includes all expenses and taxes.

Looking to lease before end of month

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    46% residual after 3 years? that's awful. get a camry or accord or altima...or even a jetta.
  • Options
    crsdoccrsdoc Member Posts: 8
    Turns out the factory put paddle shifters on some Lux's, and not on others for MY2008...through some diligent searching I found one with them!

I was quoted (for a 36mo 15k lease, top tier credit, 0 down)

money factor: .00018
    resid 46%
    negotiated price 31,900 on MSRP 33,775

monthly pymt 548.01

Question: is that money factor correct (0.00018=0.432% APR), or should it be 0.0018=4.32% APR)? If the money factor is correct as quoted, then they are overcharging somewhere...... advice?
  • Options
    shad123shad123 Member Posts: 1
    Car Man

Do you have updated figures for any VW lease incentives/rebates for the Passat. I'm being told there is only a $1,000 incentive currently.

This forum has been incredibly helpful

Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm glad that you have found this forum so helpful, shad123. Volkswagen is currently providing a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of the 2008 Passat 2.0T Sedan through VW Credit in most of the country. This incentive fairly recently was enhanced to $2,500 in VW's Western region.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    kris113kris113 Member Posts: 20
    Hi... I am currently leasing a 2006 Jetta in which I put $3000 down and get 10k miles a year. My monthly payment is $219. At the time it was my first car and didn't even know that you could negotiate prices on leases so I just took what the dealer offered me.

My lease is almost up and I am looking into getting the 2009 Passat Lux still with only 10k miles and nothing extra added. I was wondering if anyone had a good idea of what I could expect to pay per month and also what is a fair price to try and negotiate the dealer down to...oh I also have excellent credit.

• Options
    nudnknudnk Member Posts: 1
    Thank goodness for this forum - we are considering a lease on a 2008 Passat Komfort. - after reading this forum I've decided the dealer is overcharging me somewhere by a fairly serious amount - any advice?

msrp - 28,900
    downpayment - 2500
    tax,title, tags -1300
    residual - 41% (you read that right)
    money factor - .00182
    term - 48 months
    payment - $380

I'm going to lay it on the line to this guy , or I'm driving up to NJ to talk to the guy thats selling jetsfan2 his car :)
  • Options
    lepialepia Member Posts: 45
    Kris113,

Try Bayside VW in Queens NY>

they gave me a great deal for a Passat Lux.
  • Options
    gadomgadom Member Posts: 16
    I had a 36 mo lease on a 2006 Passat 2.0T. It was in 2 accidents. Both repaired at the dealer. My insurance company gave me 2 dimminished value payments totaling $2800. The checks are made out to me and VW Credit and I signed then over and was told this would be applied to the resiual value at lease end. Well, at lease end they would not apply them to the residual value or lower the buyout price of $16,000. So they will be getting back a car with a bad carfax to try to sell. They were civil (but I would not say polite) on the phone. I did speak to a supervisor.

I guess the car market is better than the newspapers say.But I was at 5 (non VW) dealers this weekend and the showrooms were far from full.

My advice is: if you get a diminished value check just send it back to the insurance company and ask them to lower the increase in your premium.

As far as the car goes, I liked it a lot.
  • Options
    I leased a 2008 Passat Komfort from Jim Ellis VW Marietta, GA. They replied to an email quote request promptly.The experience was seamless and no surprises or changes from the email quote. The entire staff was professional, friendly and businesslike. I do recommend them.Time in dealer: under 2 hours.
    24 mo 12k
    MSRP $28775
    Purchase price $25995 (included 1k loyalty cash from the dealer)
    Residual 57% ($16401.75)
    MF .00018
    Inception fess $411.02 (1st pymt + tag,title and reg.)
    Drive off costs $411.02
    Monthly payment $406.31 pymt + tax =$434.75
  • Options
    fatcat71fatcat71 Member Posts: 75
    Just signed my lease papers for an 09 Passat Komfort with the Ipod connection and Gorilla Mats and the safelease extended coverage for damage.
    Due at Signing is 908 ( !st payment, tags and the CT state conveyance fee)
    They agreed to make the last lease payment on my current lease Audi A4 (494.48).
    So acutal due at signing is $413.52
    3 years 15K per year with maintanence included (it's an 09, new from VW)
    $428 a month
    was good enough for me!!
  • Options
    viberantmindviberantmind Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man,

I am a first time car buyer/leaser and have been doing a fair amount of research here on the boards.

I've decided to lease and am interested in leasing a 2008 Passat Komfort 2.0T for 36 (or 39 if applicable) months with 12,000 miles per year. Can you give me the current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for this lease type?

Two other questions..

Through my job I have a VW-Supplier purchase certificate which guarantees dealer invoice; Do you think one can still negotiate a better selling price with this on the table or is this as good as I will probably get?

And finally, is VW still offering a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of the 2008 Passat 2.0T Sedan through VW Credit? And if not are there any current incentives?

Thanks for the help and information!
  • Options
    viberantmindviberantmind Member Posts: 4
    Car_man,

This correction is for my post above ^^^^^^
    I would actually prefer the numbers for a 15,000 mile lease.
  • Options
    Hi kris113. You're in much better shape this time around now that you know that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable. Shop around with a couple of Volkswagen dealers and try to get a selling price that is as close to dealer invoice as possible on the Passat that you want. You can look up the exact invoice price of the car that you are interested in by visiting the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. Also, make sure to stop by the "Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately.

When negotiating your car's selling price, keep in mind that Volkswagen is providing a $500 cash incentive on leases of this car right now.

Once you know the MSRP and selling price of the exact car that you want, stop back and post them here. I am sure that either myself or another helpful community member will be happy to use them to work up a sample lease payment for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi nudnk. The money factor and residual value that you were quoted on this car looks to be in line with VW Credit's current program for it. Volkswagen's lease program for the '08 Passat is not great right now. VW's program on the 2009 Passat is a little better.

The lease program that the dealer is using is OK, but you never mentioned this car's selling price. This is a very important number to find out. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing what this car's selling price is, it's difficult to tell how good your deal is. Find out this number and share it with us here. I am sure that either myself or another community member will be happy to give you their opinion on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Congratulations on getting your new Passat, gadom. Thanks for taking he time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Don't forget to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent pleasant dealer experience. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Welcome viberantmind. I would be happy to help you out. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Passat Komfort 2.0T Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00205 and 47%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $1,500 cash incentive that VW is providing on leases of it through VW Credit into account. This cash will help you to negotiate a selling price that is well below dealer invoice.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Ahhh, I see that you are actually interested in a lease with 15,000 miles per year. In that case, the residual value for the car that you are interested in is 2% lower than the one that I mentioned above.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    myclemycle Member Posts: 9
    Car_Man,

I have an offer for a 36 mo., 36,000 mi. lease on a 2009 Passat and I'm not sure if it's a good deal. Here are the terms:

MSRP: $28,990
    Sale Price: $26,500
    Acquisition Fee: $575
    "Service Fee": $175
    Cap Cost Reduction: $1,500
    Final Cap Cost: $25,750
    Residual Value: $15,365 (53%)
    Money Factor: .00060
    Monthly Payment: $313.14 plus $17.22 tax (5.5%) = $330.36
    Total due at signing is $1,675.50 which consists of $1,500 cap cost reduction, $93 for title and registration, and $82.50 tax on cap cost reduction. They are waiving the security deposit, and, due to an error in a newspaper ad that left out the 1st month's payment, are waiving that as well. Seems like a good deal to me, but would like some input asap. Thanks!! These forums are fantastic!
  • Options
    Hi mycle. A base 2009 Volkswagen Passat Sedan has a spread of a little under $1,900 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to that the $500 cash incentive on leases of this model through VW Credit and there's a total of around $2,400 to play with. The discount that you were quoted looks good to me.

However, VW Credit's September buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Passat Sedan is only .00033. That's lower than the .00060 factor that you were quoted. Make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses the buy rate to calculate your payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    a local dealer near me has a 2008 with 2800 loaner miles on it, their numbers are
    ridiculous. 499 a moth for 36mos, price of like 28K and change. they can do
    WAY better. what is the october money factor? residual was like 47%, which is horrible. this car should be around 24k
  • Options
    soupconsoupcon Member Posts: 25
    a little shocked by scottinky's report of a residual = 47%. i'm curious, too, what the money factor is. also, edmunds reports $2500 dealer cash. can that be used in conjunction with whatever the prevailing lease #'s are (and/or for buys at 0%?)

$499 is kinda bad. would go get myself a 328i for less!
  • Options
    09passat09passat Member Posts: 1
    Hi, guys and girls

I will be leasing my first car and I want it to be a 2009 passat and I have no experience with leasing. I went to a dealership to test drive one and we talked about ball park numbers and he told me to give him 1,500 down and he should be able to keep payments under 400(380 a month). But looking at the info here it looks like he wanted to take me for a ride. I was quoted for a 2008 base komfort.....so am looking for advice how should I negotiated to get a better deal and to get a deal under 350.00 a month with taxes if we pay them in florida. Sorry for not being more experienced in car buying but am only 25.

Also am thinking about a 2009 since it includes maintenance but i think i can get a better deal with the 2008. How much maintenance does this car need in 3 years.

Thanks in advance for the help and if you recommend an dealership I should visit in the miami area

Luis
  • Options
    Yep, Volkswagen Credit's residual values for the Passat aren't great. Its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '08 Passat 2.0T Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00205 and 45%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher.

I don't believe that the $2,500 dealer cash that is available on this model is compatible with the special lease program, but there is a special $1,500 cash incentive that is.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi Luis. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a lease is to shop around and negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the car that you want and then have the dealer that quotes you the best price calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

Check out the articles that I provided you with links to and let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    pinfurch2pinfurch2 Member Posts: 1
    I am preparing to turn in a vw passat this December after a 3 year driver's option. I talked to a VW rep discussing the procedures on turning the car back in. They spoke of a $350 disposition fee that would be added to my final balance. I told them I didn't remember agreeing to the fee, but they explained that it was stated in section 2 of the contract.

Well, I went home and reviewed my carbon copy version of the contract and noticed that the disposition fee line was left blank. It is signed by both the VW finance manager and me.

Anyone have any ideas of what I might legally be responsible for? I would have no problem paying the $350 disposition fee if I had been told about it and actually signed a contract stating the $350 fee. I know I should have caught that it was blank at the time it was signed.

Any help is appreciated!
  • Options
    jakshajaksha Member Posts: 2
    Just got my first quote from a local dealer on a Passat Komfort. This seems way off from what I'm reading on here:

We have a 2008 gray Passat in the Komfort package. Extra options are heated seats and rear side airbags. The 36 mo. lease with taxes is $600 a mo. and the money factor is 0.00305.

Crazy?
  • Options
    gtz02gtz02 Member Posts: 8
    Looks like you have posted one of the best offers I've seen. Can you tell me what dealership in Jersey?
    Thanks
  • Options
    nc_driver1nc_driver1 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Car Man,
    Please let me know the money factor/s and residuals for a 3 yrs/36k miles lease and 45k miles lease.
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    I have leased 2 Passats both had a $350 disposition fee. If your copy is truly blank and you have it then I doubt you have to pay because they wrote or typed the fee in after you signed. That's fraud.

You will likely have to go in person with your copy of the original (and do not let it out of your sight). They want a copy, they do it in front of you -no exceptions.Better yet bring a copy with you. BTW have them show you their copy first.

Also it is not your fault that you missed it. It is their fault they did not put it in.
  • Options
    Hi nc_driver1. We just created a new lease questions discussion for the CC. Here's a link: "Volkswagen Passat CC Lease Questions". I'll provide an answer to your question over there.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    miesmies Member Posts: 2
    This doesn't seem so good to me, but what do you think? What are passats leasing for in my area?
    Passat wagon 2009 12k/39mo lease (southern california)
    MSRP $30,800
    sale price $28,300
    residual $15,799 (51%)
    money factor 1.53
    $1000 drive-off
    $440/mo (includes tax)
  • Options
    scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    i was quoted the same price back in March when I was looking. Ended up with an Odyssey for $19 less per month with all taxes.
  • Options
    amitvisualamitvisual Member Posts: 26
    Hello Car_man!
    Has VW released new rates for Passats for a 36 month lease, 12k miles? Also, are there any special rates for the 2008 models?

Appreciate the help!
  • Options
    Hi mies. The money factor that you were quoted for this lease, .00153, and the residual value look good to me. The selling price of this wagon looks good as well. At first glance, it appears to be around $500 under dealer invoice, which makes sense given the $500 cash incentive that Volkswagen is providing on leases of this vehicle through VW Credit right now.

If you like the Passat Wagon, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    mediaguy2mediaguy2 Member Posts: 38
    the current promotion is sign and drive zero down 399 month, 12k miles 39 months plus tax. i have the following deal -- all of the above but at 365 a month INCLUDING tax of about $20 a month. so car itself is $345 a month. i think its really good. comments please. tia.
  • Options
    Hi mediaguy2. If you are beating Volkswagen's advertised payment for the Passat by this much you are probably getting a very good deal. However, the best way to evaluate it is to look at its selling price in relation to either its MSRP or dealer invoice price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is difficult to tell how much of a dealer discount you are being given and if there is any room left to negotiate.

You need the dealer to tell you what selling price they are charging you, but you can look up this car's exact MSRP and invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. Let us know what these numbers are and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will be happy to give you their opinion on them.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    guttapercha2guttapercha2 Member Posts: 2
    Here's my deal in Columbus OH on the wagon 39 mo/12,000. Selling price 27,000
    Adjusted cap cost 20,236 after they give me a trade in allowance on my 2002 Subaru outback with 68K miles. Money Factor .00153. 165.73/month. Lease end value = 15,953,
  • Options
    stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    You put $7,000 down on a 39 month lease? OUCH! That's not very smart. If your car is stolen or totalled in an accident, you are never going to be reimbursed for that mistake. Sign and drive, brother. Sign and drive.
  • Options
    guttapercha2guttapercha2 Member Posts: 2
    I see your point. The Subi wasn't really worth that much though. They gave me 8k on it, but in reality, it was worth about 5k and was about to need 1k in brakes and 300-500 in exhaust work.
This discussion has been closed.