Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• uclaticouclatico Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I know there must be a million questions like this. But I just had twins and don't have time to research too long about the best deal. Here's a quote I received. Please let me know if you think it's fair:

2010 VW Passat Wagon
    4,000 down (my choice because this portion is a gift from a family member)
    36-month lease, 10,000 miles per year.
    No options.

Total: $373.12

It seems like there's room for negotiation, but if I had a number in mind or I can say that I know that this is considered high, that would help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
    -New sleepless dad.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Sell your tl to carmax or the dealer and put the cash in the bank. Then negotiate the lease on the passat with everything rolled into the lease. Do not apply the trade in money into the lease. You are probably better off trading your tl in to purchase the passat. There are good deals on buys -- not so good on leases.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings sleepless dad. As a father of two, I can sympathize ;) . It must be even harder with twins.

The easiest way for us to evaluate this deal would be to take a look at the MSRP and selling price that this lease is based upon. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. These numbers make it easier to see how much of a dealer discount you are being given and if there is any room left to negotiate.

If you can't get these numbers, at least provide us with the MSRP and dealer invoice price of the exact car that you want (available here) and we can work up a lease payment for you using VW's actual program that you can use as a point of reference.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • uclaticouclatico Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Car Man. Still not getting much sleep, but we are slowly getting the hang of parenting.

The quote was based on an MSRP of $29,505 and a sale price of $27,548.

Thanks!!
    Overstock is providing me a quote of 3k off msrp -- check it out.
    No problem uclatico. Thanks for the additional information. This car probably has a spread of a little under $2,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Let's call it $1,900. Add to that the $500 cash incentive that Volkswagen is currently providing on leases of the 2010 Passat Wagon and you have a total of around $2,400 to play with in your negotiations.

The selling price that you were quoted appears to be right around $500 over invoice, which is a pretty good deal. Just make sure that the dealer uses VW Credit's buy rate lease money factor of .00019 to calculate your payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • nosfera2nosfera2 Member Posts: 2
    Jayrider: Thank you for your feedback. I'll get a quote from Carmax and see how much the dealer would give me if I decide to sell it to them.

As for overstock, I never knew they have car deals. They certainly are about 3k off MSRP, is that a real deal? Anyone have any experience with cars.overstock?

Thanks again :)
    Overstock gives you a way to contact the dealer-- costs zero to check. Or take the price to another dealer and see if they will match it.
  • billybobiibillybobii Member Posts: 6
    What is a reasonable lease for this car at the moment?

Thanks

BB
  • nom2nom2 Member Posts: 13
    Car man-

I'm looking to lease a 2010 passat wagon.
    Can you please tell me the May MF and res for 36mos and 12k miles?

Thanks,

Nom
    Hi billybobii. This car's lease payment will vary depending upon a number of terms, including how long you want to lease it for, what mileage allowance you need, and how you want it equipped. I would be happy to use VW Credit's current lease program to work up a sample lease payment on the exact Passat that you are interested in for you if you provide me with this information along with its full MSRP and approximate selling price (or at least its MSRP and dealer invoice price). You can find that pricing data over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings Nom. Here's the information that you're looking for. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Passat Wagon with 12,000 miles per year are .00019 and 44%, respectively.

When negotiating your deal on this vehicle, make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that is available on leases of it through VW Credit.

Car_man
    Host
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    Car Man,

Please provide MF and Residual for 36 mo./10K and 12K miles lease out of NY

Thanks,

Bo
    I'd be happy to help you out, Bo. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value or a 36 month lease of a 2010 Passat Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00054 and 45%, respectively.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year is 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • tiflorinskytiflorinsky Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2010
    Hi Car Man,
    Many thanks for the help you're providing to all of us.
    The lease quote i got from a dealer out of NYC:
    Sticker price: 28144
    Sell price: 25620
    Term: 36 months
    Allowance: 10k miles/year (it was my option based on projected usage pattern)
    Taxes and bank fees included in the monthly payment.
    Due at signing: first payment and DMV tax
    Monthly payment: 422
    Monthly payment2 (same terms - 12k miles/year):430.
    I didn't get to ask about MF and RV yet, but, based on the numbers provided how does it look to you so far ? :confuse:
    The car is plain vanilla, with no options.
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    edited June 2010
    Your purchase price is 1k too high --- that means $30 lower per month if everything remains the same. Watch out for dealer fees and stuff that may not be included. If you can get the passat for 392 then you got an ok deal. Passats are being revamped and for the most part aren't great leases. $392 with taxes isn't too bad. Find out what the mf and rv is to make sure you have the correct numbers.
    edited June 2010
    Jay, you're great! Your feedback is much appreciated.
    Now i have a completely different prospective.
    Many thanks again.
    By the way, I test drove a new passat and really liked everything about it. The wagon was awesome.
    Jay,
    Are we on the same page?
    I am actually running the numbers on a lease calculator using a MF of 0.00054 and RV of 45% (numbers provided by carman) and i don't get to the same results.
    Please advise.
    edited June 2010
    Never worked your lease numbers -- just went by the payment. What is the msrp-cap cost [zero down] before tax and inception fees? Also how many miles and months.
    Used 28k msrp and selling price of 24309 which includes destination. The number I come up with is $345 before tax and inception fees. Based on 36 months -- don't know what miles you figured.
    The price is on overstock for the st. louis,mo area. NYC should be at least as competitive.
    Just for fun --mattieimports has a passat for 362 -36 months-10k miles per. Only thing due is around 200 plus 1st payment. You would be responsible for ny tax and license. They will deliver it free to you I think. Service any vw dealer.
    Thanks again jayrider. The miles i was considering are 10 k and 12 k - i asked for quotes for both and they are included in my earlier posting. The months are also mentioned in my previous message: 36.
    Just remember to get the best price before you stat to run the numbers. Good luck .
    Jay,
    I actually got a quote today that's based on the numbers that carman provided for MF and RV.
    They ask for 399 a month for the 12k/year option and 391 for the 10k/year.
    According to the dealer, the bank fee and the tax are rolled into the payment.
    They are asking me for about $170 (misc fees) on top of the first payment upfront.
    How does it sounds?
    edited June 2010
    What was the msrp and what was the discounted price ? It sounds pretty decent if it is the color you want. Advise going with the 12k miles --- that way if you take a few trips you will be covered. Subtract all the taxes and fees out of the payment and see how close it comes to 1% of the msrp.
    In Illinois I'd have to pay $410 for a 10k mile lease with tax so you deal looks better than average for sure.
  • mstorer5mstorer5 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys...thanks for all the advice and guidance. So for the price of the car, what's a good target compared to invoice? Say it's MSRP $28494 and invoice of $26648. What should I really pay? And for clarification, what's the MF and RV on the sedan for 36 months/12K? One last thing, anybody have an inclination if the lease rebates will remain for July or even get better? My current lease is up in a month, but wondering if I should pull the trigger now to be sure? Thanks again for advice.
    Thanks to the numbers provided by carman and the advice from jayrider i've been able to close on 6/30 for $391/mo with 12k/year and less than $700 upfront, including first lease payment. MSRP: $28144/ Negotiated: $24232/ MF: 0.00054/ RV: 45% I have to mention that the cash upfront would have been lower by $120 if plates were transferred - in my case they were new plates. Please keep in mind that all the numbers are based on your personal creditworthiness. My shopping experience at Palisades VW was great and I am warmly recommending this NY area dealer.
    Best of luck to the ones still shopping around.
    Congrats on your new ride. The passat I drove was great. Enjoy 3 years of euro-sedan with free service and no repair issues. :)
  • carrinocarrino Member Posts: 42
    Just want to know if this is a good deal. 2010 cc sport, ipod, chrome tips, 600.00 out of pocket, 15k miles yr,3year lease and rolling in 3 months payments on a 2006 passat of 436.56. my payment would be 399.00 month.. what do you think?
    If you go 45k miles you will be out of warranty and responsible for repairs - tires on a car you don't own. The 40k service is major bucks -- plugs- trans fluid etc. Get the 12k lease or buy the car with a 60 month loan.
    Thanks for your input. On my 2006 passat i have 15k miles yr on a 4 year lease and even though I am out of warranty all I ever put on this car was tires and rear pads. I understand the warranty is 3 years but every where I call they cannot beat this deal.
    driving home from work today my cat converter cracked near the manifold on the engine. Sounded like a boat. Called my dealer and they said it is covered up to 80,000 miles since vw extended the warranty on this. Has anyone heard of this being covered? I have 58750 miles on the car that i was turning in early this weekend to lease a cc... figures. Hope they are right that it is covered.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    58750miles? What kind of lease do you have?
  • nom2nom2 Member Posts: 13
    Carman -

Is there a financial reason I should not lease a 2010 vehicle this late in the year?
    I see great deals on remaining 2010 Passat sedans and am considering one this month or next.

Can you also tell me the October MF and residual for a 2010 Komfort sedan for 12k miles for a 36 month term as well as a 24 month?

Thanks,

L
  • gvillarealgvillareal Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Hello Car_Man. What are October 2010 lease numbers (MF and residual) for 2010 Passat Wagon, 36 months, 12K miles/year, $0 down. Also at 10K miles/year please.

I see this new lease offer, based on msrp $29,505: "Lease a 2010 Passat Wagon with automatic transmission for $389.00 a month. 36-month lease, $2,499.00 due at signing."
    Hi nom2. The residual values for the 2010 Passat are pretty low this late in the model year, but Volkswagen is still providing lease support on it so there's nothing wrong with leasing one.

VW Credit's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2010 Passat Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00011 and 51%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00011 and 44%.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,750 cash incentive that Volkswagen is providing on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello gvillareal. Here's the info that you need.

Volkswagen Credit's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Passat Wagon with 12,000 miles per year are .00016 and 43%, respectively.

The residual value for a lease of this vehicle with only 10,000 miles per year is 1% higher.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $750 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • slpyslpy Member Posts: 2
    Hi all-

Quick question... I have a 2008 VW Passat w/ lease end date of 4/18/11. I want to terminate the lease early (I have 4 more payments left). I am prepared to make the final payments and the unfortunate $350 turn in fee as I will not be getting another VW. However, does anyone have any idea if there will be any other fees that I will be responsible for being as though I am terminating the lease before the 90 day period? Any insight in this would be greatly appreciated as I am having some severe anxiety about the contract I just signed for a new lease.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    If you go anywhere. They will see your negative balance and will roll it into the deal. You will pay any mileage overage later.

Also, VW has a lease pull ahead offer now in case you want to stay with VW.

If you turn it in without trading for any car out there. Then, yes all payments, fees will be due even though you have no car.
  • search4carsearch4car Member Posts: 30
    You said, "Also, VW has a lease pull ahead offer now in case you want to stay with VW." As far as I know this is not available for Passat leases. Is that right for the current offer?
  • slpyslpy Member Posts: 2
    I leased a new Mazda and they are paying for the last 4 months on the VW... however, they can't take possession of the VW and they are going to cut me the check to pay off VW myself and turn in the car. That is where I was wondering if VW was going to penalize me anymore that the turn in fee. This whole thing is very confusing.
  • poppyalpoppyal Member Posts: 10
    I hear that the 2012 Passats demonstrators are on the highway enroute to dealers today.
    Hopefully, we should have some information forthcoming on the new models soon.
  • artuartu Member Posts: 7
    Please provide the money factor and residual on 2012 Passat TDI SE 6 Sp Manual Trans. for a 36 mo./ 36 K miles lease. Thks. Art
  • lepialepia Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2011
    Is it possible to get information for a Passat SEL2 MSRP = 30,665.00.
    What is the MF, Residual value on a 36/39 Months, 10K miles a year.?

Are there any incentives down the pipe for current VW oweners with Tier 1+ credit?

I am currently leasing a Passat Lux 2008. I am paying $350 a month. I have spoken to two dealers including the one I leased my current car, and I am afraid I may not get a deal similar to what I have now.

Thanks in advance,
  • poppyalpoppyal Member Posts: 10
    Carman: Where are you? It seems that this site has been inactive for a while due to the delay in producing the new Passat. The cars are now at dealers and they are taking orders. We need your help. I was able to learn that there is a $1,000 Incentive for returning lease customers. Other lease numbers like factors and residuals are needed. I am going to make a deal as soon as I decide which model I want. You helped tremendously in the past and I need your help now. I will try to do a direct email to get your attention back to this site as it should start showing added need for your help. Thanks.
    Hi Art. Volkswagen Credit's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a Passat Sedan SE with 12,000 miles per year are .00021 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for lepia. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 Passat Sedan SEL 4-cylinder with 10,000 miles per year are .00088 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Volkswagen is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this car through VW Credit, but no additional loyalty incentives for current owners.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi poppyal. I just answered a few questions about the Passat lease program. If you are interested in a different trim level, let me know and I'll fill you in on the details for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • lepialepia Member Posts: 45
    Many thanks CarMan.
    You're very welcome lepia.

Car_man
    Host
  • jaffmanjaffman Member Posts: 51
    hi carman! you have always been a great help. hoping to impose upon you once more.... can you let me know numbers for 2012 passat 10kmi year, 36months, zero down, all fees and taxes into payments (8.625%) sel premium2 v6 engine, msrp is 33720 (includes destination charge of 770). thanks for any help.
This discussion has been closed.