Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

1373839404143»

Comments

• twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    My '04 F-150 has lately been making a metal scrape noise. Just real intermittent. Then yesterday while in a funeral procession it just kept doing the noise. Afterward, when it did it again, I engage 4x4 High and it stopped. Anyone else had this problem?
  • cballardcballard Member Posts: 1
    hey I need to drop oil pan what you mean by jacking trans and engine
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    You can drop the pan. But only a couple of inches. IF you only want to change the pan gasket, there's room enough, but, if you want to totally pull the pan out, you can't!

There's a frame cross-member that runs across the middle of the pan. The pan depth is raised in the middle to accomodate the frame piece passing underneath it. There's a deeper part of the oil sump in front of the frame piece, and another deep part behind the frame member. You can't pull the pan out with crushing it.

If you want to replace it with the same size pan, the only way a new one will fit without damaging it is to unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up about 4-5 inches.

I haven't actually done it - I sealed my leaky pan with JB-Weld and it's still holding
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    GET to the dealer.

If you have SOF, the electric solinoid in the 4x4 may be falty.

Mark.
  • 6237862378 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 F 150 and 02 Ranger with the same problem. Can't get any power to the window switches. Checked fuses and relays etc. Both units have been under water and have had other electrical issues, alternators, turn signals and so forth. I don't have wiring diagrams and am at a stand still. Any help would be appreciated!!!Where can I find wiring diagrams online? Thanks!!!
  • bigjohnson1bigjohnson1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 f150 on a road trip almost home it lost power, started skippen and rattlen loud. Three miles later it clears up. The check engine light slightly glows with intermittent poor performance. Lately noticed chirping while accelerating up hill. motor skips when smothens out transmission shifting iratecly. No codes present in computer. No evident wire damage. What to do?
  • rytedealrytedeal Member Posts: 1
    My 04 F150 Super Crew also vibrated in the steering wheel.
    Here is what I did and hope it helps others out. The truck had been taken to the dealership 7 times in 20 months. Here is a list of what was done. First, aligned and balanced all four tires. Second, ballance tires and rotated. Third, road force balance and machined rotors. Fourth, aligned and road force balanced. Fifth, aligned and steering dampner installed. Sixth, all four tires replaced and road force balanced due to extended warranty by ford.Seventh, dealer balance and rotated but would not align under warranty. At that point I rufused to pay for the alignment and went to the service manager. He did not want to do anything else. I called my attourney, we met with my service records and he wrote to Ford. It took thirty days and ford is going to replace my truck or repurchase it. Currently Ford does not know how to repair the vibration in the truck, they can only make it better. That wasn't good enough for me when I just spent $30,000.00 for a new truck! Hope this helps others out. California Lemon law works!

Good luck all!
  • macgyver005macgyver005 Member Posts: 1
    Hello...I am contemplating the purchase of a new 06 F150 4x4. I've read about the vibration issue. How common is it? Can it be corrected? Does the model or trim make a difference? Has anyone had any trouble with the flex fuel engine? Is there any other quirk I should look out for? Thank you.
  • sgcraftonsgcrafton Member Posts: 1
    My 1984 F250 will run about 15 minutes and then dies. At that point I have no power to the injector pump or glow plugs. Later on it will start up again and do the same thing.

Any ideas?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I've read about the vibration issue.
    How common is it?

Very!

Can it be corrected?

Occasionally it can, but mostly not. It then changes from being a problem to become a characteristic.

Does the model or trim make a difference?

4x4s seem to be the most affected.

Can't help with the last two. I'm not sure what percentage have the flex engine.
    I was wondering if people with the vibration problem also had the 4.6L engine?

Mark.
  • kevenkeven Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 F250 extended cab 4x4 with a 460 and E4OD. The Overdrive is bad. A friend has a E4OD out of a 1993 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 diesel. Will the diesel trans bolt to the 460 ? :confuse:
  • csimpsoncsimpson Member Posts: 4
    I think I finally figured out the problem with my truck. I was talking to someone about it, and they said it could be the that the driveshaft is bent, or it could be something in the differential that is messed up. I am going to take it to the shop some time this week, so I should find out if that is the problem.
  • parky2parky2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 F-250 powerstroke... intermitantly the instrument cluster looses power and the gas pedal will no longer accelerate the motor. However, the glow plugs still work and the engine starts but will only idle... any body have an idea what may be causing this electrical problem?
  • cfuller1971cfuller1971 Member Posts: 1
    I ran into that on my 2002 F350 dually. Do you have the adjustable gas/brake pedal system? They replaced mine no questions asked. I believe it was a recall item.
  • csimpsoncsimpson Member Posts: 4
    I finally fixed my truck!!!
    I had the problem of a vibration whenever I would drive. It was the worst at around 30-35mph, and it seemed as if it went away going over 45-50mph, but actually, it was just vibrating so fast I couldn't feel it. I took it to the shop, and they replaced all three u-joints, and it works good as new.
  • cjlaw33cjlaw33 Member Posts: 4
    I've got a 99' F350 Diesel and I went outside the other day and my daytime lights were on and I hadn't drove it since the previous morning. I ended up taking the fuse out for a quick fix to shut them off. Then I noticed my air bag light, my ABS light, and my seat belt light would go on and off. Then I was driving into work and then a "ding......ding" sound would go off and repeat the cycle every 10 second for about 5 times and then quit. It sounded like it was coming from under the steering column but it was hard to tell. I haven't had any problems since but I haven't put the fuse back in either for the daytime lights. Any ideas???
    One possible cause is the tires. I had a customer that purchased a brand new Expedition with the Conti tires and she reported similar vibration story the cause was defective tires.

Mark.
  • gino55gino55 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1998 F150 4wd V8 4,6L with 71k miles on it, seems very clean but the last weekend when I try to shift from 2H to 4H, I noticed that the lever can not shift from 2H to 4H or 4L, any suggestions, please help me.

I'm also Getting 12 MPG city. Poor mileage isn't it??.
  • stang281stang281 Member Posts: 1
    I had what seems like the same problem with a 1994 Thunderbird with the 4R70W 4-speed auto transmission. I would be going down the interstate and it would feel like it goes into neutral and back into drive. I did some research on technical service bulletins and found the problem to be in the transmission range selecter switch (known to the dealer as the TR switch). I replaced the TR switch priced at approx. $48.00 from Ford and the problem went away. Just so you know, when you replace the TR switch, it needs to be adjusted which involves putting the trans in neutral and aligning the arrows. It's pretty simple. Also Ford recommends using Mercron V trans fluid in the newer electronic controlled transmissions. Hope this helps with your truck.
  • elrechingonelrechingon Member Posts: 3
    The vehicle has the following symtoms:
    At idle speed parked or at the red light, vehicle bucks and shakes as if it wants to turn off, the vehicle has 145 K It does not burn any oil, once in motion the problem dissapears, or it is possible to get out of it by accelerating.
    I changed the TPS, fuel filter (a little clogged), no change still the same. The engine light is on.

Any suggestions?, I do not think the fuel pump is bad. :sick:
    A check engine light means that the computer will be holding a fault code. Before randomly changing any more components have the code read (free at Autozone), which will give you a starting point and direction to follow.
  • elrechingonelrechingon Member Posts: 3
    Been there done that.
    The diagnosis at the autoparts did not help, I changed two O2 sensors which is what the computer sugessted, problem still the same.
    The diagnostics computer will only detect what the vehicle has done but a lot of times not what caused it.

Thanks.
    You said that a check light is still showing, which means that despite the new O2 sensors and TPS, a fault is still being detected. Why not get the current code(s) read and post them here? Oh, and post the codes rather than Autozone's interpretation of them.
  • wallacelwallacel Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 f250 superduty 4X4 . here lately every time i put it in park and take out the key then when i get ready to go again i put the key in ,start the engine but cant get it out of park.i half to turn off the engine put the key in accessory then place the gear shifter in neutral to get it out of park . then and only then can i start the truck and go.
    WHAT GIVES ?????
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    try spraying wd40 on the door switches that power the dome light, I know it sounds unrelated but may help
  • nikihamiltonnikihamilton Member Posts: 1
    Having exactly the same problems. Radio and/or wipers work only in park; battery drains but is re chargeable. Seems electrical - and it is sporadic. It also appears that wet weather makes it worse. Did you find the cause?
  • smunroesmunroe Member Posts: 2
    there is a 20amp fuse under the dash that is responsible for this
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

As you may have noticed, we are reorganizing the Forums to allow better focus and easier searching when you have a particular problem or comment about any given vehicle. Many of the large generic discussions (like this one) will be closed to new posts, and we ask that you continue in the more focused discussions that you can find at the Group page for the vehicle, linked below. This discussion will not be deleted, so you can still search for information in it.

We recognize this is going to take some getting used to (for the hosts too!), so please bear with us. If you have any questions, you can always email the host of any discussion - the link is at the top of each page to the host who oversees that discussion.

If you don't see a discussion in the group appropriate to your question or comment, start a new one, or send me an email, and I'll point you in the right direction!

Ford F-Series Group

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
This discussion has been closed.