Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Touareg Lease Questions

Comments

• rheatonrheaton Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in finding a new home for my Touareg as I am moving. Is the residual value of someone financing the Touareg under a new lease different than the residual value on my current lease? I.e. what would be cheaper for someone - a new lease or taking over my current one. Details below.

2005 VW Touareg V8 with every option except trailer hitch, tire pressure monitor, and 4 zone AC.

My current lease is for $725. Gross capitalized cost is $53,265. Terms are 4 years, 15k miles/year, about 34 months left of lease. Residual value of $24,140.

Thanks for the help.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi capodanno. $500 over dealer invoice is a good price for a leased 2006 Touareg. Make sure that the tells you its exact MSRP and selling price though so you can see for yourself. These numbers are also useful because they allow one to double check their vehicle's lease payment. The money factor that you were quoted for this truck is right in line with VW Credit's current program for it. VW Credit's current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for this truck is 48%. This number increases to 50% for leases with only 12,000 miles per year. So assuming that you are getting this truck for $500 over invoice, this looks like a good deal to me. You probably should cut back on the money that you are paying at lease signing though. Consumers are free to lease any vehicle that they want without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction. In fact, it is in your best interest not to make one because if your leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered during your lease your down payment essentially disappears.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi dsnow77. As I just mentioned to another community member $500 over dealer invoice is a good price for a leased 2006 Volkswagen Touareg. If you tell me what this truck's exact selling price is, I can calculate what its lease payment should be using VW Credit's actual lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello rheaton. I am sorry to say that it is likely going to be very expensive for you to get out of your leased Touareg 34 months before its scheduled end date. Even if you are able to get out of your current lease without losing too much money, which is highly unlikely, you still can't lease your truck to someone else. Your best bet would be to try to find someone to assume your current lease on this truck, assuming that VW Credit allows lease assumptions. There are web sites out there like swapalease.com that facilitate such transactions. You may have a tough time finding someone to assume a $725 a month payment without supplementing the deal a little out of your own pocket though. I wish that I had better news for you, but it's often very expensive to break leases early.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • capodannocapodanno Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the advice. I ended up getting an even better deal on a V6 with package 2, but I have a question. Although I negotiated a price of just under $37,000, I was surprised to see that the 50% residual (for a 12,000 mile lease) was based on the MSRP, and NOT on the negotiated price. So the 50% residual is just over $20,000 instead of half of the $37,000. Is that normal or did I get duped on that part?

Also, is it a bad idea to buy a car at the end of your lease? I seem to think the car's value will be worth more than what I'll owe at the end of the lease, which would be a good thing. (I think.)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,553
    1) Residual is always based on MSRP.. Whether you got a good deal or a bad deal, the car will be worth the same at the end of the term..

2) If your car is worth more than the residual at the end of the lease, it would certainly be a good deal to buy it at that time.. I wouldn't bet on that being the case, though... Most residuals are somewhat optimistic (which is good, as high residuals make for lower lease payments).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stars4304stars4304 Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if I can get your opinions on the option to purchase a car when the lease is up.

My friend, who has been wanting to get the 06 Touareg, is deciding to do this because payments to finance the car is too much.

From what I know, it would be a lot better to just finance from the start. How much more money would she end up spending? Do you guys think it's worth doing this just to have the car that you want?
    Hi stars4304. There's nothing wrong with leasing a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg right now. VW Credit's lease program for it is pretty good. Your friend can always lease one, drive it for a few years to see if they like it and then decide whether they want to buy it at the end of their lease. One of the benefits of doing this is if she gets into an accident in her Touareg during her lease and has it repaired she does not have to take the diminished value hit, VW Credit does. Plus if she gets a truck that gives here a lit of trouble she can just walk away from it at lease-end. If she enjoys the Touareg, at the end of her lease she can determine if its purchase option price is in line with what she would have to pay for an equivalent used Touareg on the open market. If so, she can just buy her truck from VW Credit either by paying cash or financing it. The only disadvantage to doing this is that she will end up paying for her truck for a long time if she leases it for say three years and then finances it at lease-end for another three or four years.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • icedave825icedave825 Member Posts: 1
    Can you please help me calculate what the lease payments and residual should be for a 2006 Toureag with a $ 47,415 MSRP that I can buy for approx. $ 38,600 with the following lease terms: No cap cost reduction. 12,000 miles a year for a 36 month lease. Is the negiotated buy price of $ 38.6K used to calculate the lease payments since the residual is always based on MSRP ?

Thanks.
  • juniorlajuniorla Member Posts: 1
    For a new, 2007 V-6 Touareg with Nav., park assist, leather, power seats, back up camera (package #2), the dealer is telling me that $700 over the invoice price is $44,527. I am having difficulty verifying this as $700 over invoice.

Their leasing offer is with $3,500 down, 12k miles per year:

-a lease for 4 years has a monthly payment of $591/month, exclusive of tax, and
    -a lease for 3 years has a monthly payment of $622/month, exclusive of tax.

This seems high to me.

I have asked for but not yet received the money factor and residual %.

Thanks
    I'd be happy to help you out, icedave825. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 with an MSRP of $47,415 and a selling price of $38,600 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year are $447. I used a money factor of .00032 and a residual value of 49% to calculate this truck's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • nutdotnetnutdotnet Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Was just curious on what the Money Factor and Residuals were for the 2007 VW Touareg models. Anyone know?
    Hi juniorla. You can look up the dealer invoice price of the truck that you are interested in by visiting the following section of this site: Edmunds.com - New Vehicle Pricing.

$3,500 is way too much money to put down when leasing. I always advise community members not to make any capitalized cost reduction on leased vehicles. I do so because if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, their down payment essentially disappears.

I would be happy to use VW's actual lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be if you provide me with the MSRP of the Touareg that you are interested in.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi nutdotnet. I would be happy to give you an idea of what this truck's lease program is currently like. However, I don't have all the information that I need so in order for me to do so I am going to have to make some assumptions. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease of a 2007 Touareg V6 with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Also, Volkswagen's September lease program is only scheduled to run through October 2nd. If you check back with me later this week I should be able to give you an idea of what its new October program is like. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Touareg V6 with 15,000 miles per year are .00138 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • apa1128apa1128 Member Posts: 12
    Car Man,
    Can you provide the current lease program for both '06 and '07 Touareg V6 and V8 for 36mo/15K? I'd like to be able to run my own numbers...
    Thanks!
    apa1128
    Here you go, apa1128. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 with 15,000 miles per year are .00032 and 47%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 Touareg V8 would be exactly the same. VW Credit's current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year numbers for the 2007 Touareg V6 are .00187 and 53%. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '07 Touareg V8 are .00187 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • apa1128apa1128 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, Car_man.
    I was wondering if you knew why the '07 Touareg does not come with all of the available options in the '07 Passat Wagon 3.6? I am going to go drive both at VW tomorrow, and I'm now leaning towards the wagon simply because I can get Sirius, in dash CD changer, etc. for 6-10K less than the Touareg, depending on the engine. The Touareg should really come with those features for a $40K + price tag.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Anybody know?

BTW, why doesn't Edmunds have a page that lists the monthly buy rates, etc. for all the manufacturers and all the models? It would sure give us consumers some good ammo to go to the dealers with. So far, my experience has been that the dealers refute the MFs that I tell them I saw here. I can't say that I blame them, considering how foolish I feel when I have to tell them "I read it on an internet forum." :sick: That could all boil down to some guy telling half truths and leaving out tons of pertinent info.

I called directly to the VW corporate office (on my own dime :mad: ) to get the MFs directly from them and they WOULD NOT give it to me even if my life had depended on it! Where does Edmunds get its info?
    No problem apa1128. It's difficult to say why the Touareg does not have the same options available for it as the Passat Wagon 3.6 does. Perhaps someone who frequents the following discussion can answer this question for you: "VW Touareg SUV". For my money, the Passat Wagon definitely seems like a better value than the Touareg. Of course, one does not have to mind driving a wagon to get one. I can tell you one thing, I can't live without satellite radio. I would add it myself if I got a car without it. I have both XM and Sirius, one in each of my vehicles, and love them both.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're right, tayl0rd. Manufacturers will not provide information on vehicles' lease programs to consumers who call them on the phone. They will always tell you to consult your local dealer. I would be happy to give you an idea of what the lease program is like for the Touareg right now. In order for me to do so though I need you to tell me the exact model that you want, how long you want to lease it for, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. Let me know and I'll see if I can find out what this truck's program is like for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thanks, Car_man. I'm looking at the V8 and just maybe the V10 TDI. I'd want Package 1, Nav plus, Bi-xenons, rear diff lock, trailer hitch, and rubber mats. What kind of numbers am I looking at for each? I'm in NC and the tax rate on autos is 3%. The sales tax for my city is 7.5%, but I believe they only charge 3% on the leases. I know that purchases are only charged the 3%.
  • chicagotouaregchicagotouareg Member Posts: 6
    Car_Man

I saw that you posted the money factor and residuals for all the Touareg models with the exception of the 2007 V10 TDI. I am thinking of trading my 04 V8 in for a TDI. Do you know what the latest Money factor and residual is for the 07 V10 TDI. Thanks for your help!!
  • mrresearchmrresearch Member Posts: 8
    Hi car_man, I noticed the Edmunds site lists lease specials on 2006 V6 Touregs. Do you know the specifics in terms of money factor and residual for 36 month leases at 12k?
    No problem, tayl0rd. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 VW Touareg V8 with 15,000 miles per year are .00171 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2007 Touareg TDI are .00299 and 54%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Ahhh, here you go, chicagotouareg. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Touareg TDI with 15,000 miles per year are .00299 and 54%, respectively. Let me know if you want the numbers for a different term or mileage allowance.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi mrresearch. Volkswagen has some very attractive money factors on 2006 Touaregs right now. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for 36 month lease of a 2006 Touareg V6 with 12,000 miles per year are .00032 and 48%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • borderman01borderman01 Member Posts: 10
    VW dealership in NY running this special for Touareg V6 2007;
    "Only $370 a Month! 40 Months. 10k Miles. $4,562 due at signing. MSRP $38,909"
    Now I would prefer 30 mnths than 40. So I estimated that would cost me an extra $30-$40 more a month.
    I also thought, for a Touareg V8 2007 what would it cost me? I assume a MSRP of $43000. That's a $5K difference so I figure a $50 more a month. Or should I wait until the spring and may get better deal. Thanks...
    You might want to check out the pricing and options of the Touareg. At $38,000, that Touareg is about as base model as it gets.
  • paxtonkpaxtonk Member Posts: 49
    This forum is very informative, thank you for the inside information Car_man. I have found out that I'm just about at a break even on my car as a trade but my lease isn't up until this coming December. I was curious to what the MF and residual is this month on the 2007 V6 and V8 Touareg - just in case I should do something now. Please base the residual off of 10k and 36 months or which ever term you think is best. Thanks a bunch.
  • southjerseyvwsouthjerseyvw Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I'm new to the Forum. My name is Matt. I'm a Sales Consultant for Volkswagen. I work at Prestige Volkswagen in Turnersville, NJ. Please feel free to stop by the dealership and I'll glad to help you with all your sales and leasing questions. I've read through the thread about the Touareg. I absolutely LOVE that vehicle! If you're having trouble finding the V10 TDI we have one in High Gloss black with brown leather interior. The car is amazing. If you haven't driven one, drive it! Only then will you fully realize how appropriate the sticker price is ;-0 For those who are already familiar with\ have driven or own a TDI congratulations on having, in my opinion, the nicest car in America.

Ok take care guys..
    Matt @ Prestige VW 856-629-9200
  • bassmiesternjbassmiesternj Member Posts: 48
    Hello all,

I'm looking for a little insight (pros and cons) on the current VW lease offer for a "base" 07' V6 Touareg.

The VW offer is as follows:

39-month lease

$3,474 due at signing
    (plus license, tax, options and dealer fees)

US cars only. $399 first month's payment, $2,500 down payment, and $575 acquisition fee due at lease inception. Monthly payments total $15,561.00. Based on MSRP of $38,110 for a 2007 Touareg V6, excluding title, taxes, options and dealer charges. Closed-end lease offered to highest qualified customers by Volkswagen Credit through participating dealers. Supplies limited. Offer ends January 31, 2007. Requires dealer contribution of $2,201.50, which could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance. At lease end lessees responsible for $0.25/mile over 39,000 miles and for damage and excessive wear. Additional charges may apply at lease end. Purchase option at lease end for $20,558.70. Dealer sets actual prices. See your Volkswagen dealer for details.

What do you think ?

I test drove a "base" model and I was very impressed with it.

Can I do any better on the lease ?
    You're very welcome, paxtonk. I'm glad that you find this forum so informative. Here's the information that you're looking for. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Touareg V6 with 10,000 miles per year are .00095 and 54%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are .00095 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi bassmiesternj. This is Volkswagen's current official advertised lease for the 2007 Touareg V6. This isn't a bad deal, but like most manufacturers' advertised lease payments I suspect that this one leaves a little meat on the bone so to speak. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition and you shop around I suspect that you will be able to negotiate a lower selling price than the one that this lease is based upon.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Car_man, thanks for the info.

Would it be best to negotiate less down for the same monthly payment ?

Or just rework the whole deal ?
  • sebissebis Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_man,

What is the residual and money factor (January) for a 2006 V10 TDI, 36 months with 15K miles.

Thank you!
    --Sebis
  • carman77471carman77471 Member Posts: 14
    What State are you in?
    Carman, I'm in New Jersey.
  • kipakipa Member Posts: 6
    Broused this thread - great that you're providing this info to all us "tire kickers". A big thanks in advance.

Can you provide me the money factor and residual on a 2006 V-10 TDI Touareg 10K miles per year for 2 years in WA state?

Kipa
  • carb1776carb1776 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I wouldn't buy or lease the Touareg. Go with a Honda, Toyota, Acura, BMW. The Touareg is impressive on a test drive, floats like a feather on the highway. You are gonna have very noisy brakes. Do some careful thinking and research before plunking down 35K+. I regret I bought the Touareg. The Dealer Network and the most unfreindly and helpful I have found in my purchase of any product!
    Noisy brakes...? That's your reasoning for regreting a purchase ..? Your kidding right...?
    Hi,

Lets see...5500 miles.

The brakes squeal like a pig at every stop and they can't be fixed says the dealer and now at 5500 the DRIVE shaft is defective and needs replacing. I have owned Honda's and Toyotas and done nothing but oil changes for the first 60,000 miles. The vehicle drives well, but not worth the headache unless you happen to live next to a VW dealership which has technicans and managers who want to repair your car.
    You're very welcome, bassmiesternj. The easiest way to get a good deal on a lease is to negotiate the lowest possible selling price on the vehicle that you want and then have the dealer calculate its monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. Just make sure to specify that you want the dealer to work up a lease without any down payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Sebis. Unfortunately, Volkswagen's lease program on the 2006 Touareg TDI is not very attractive right now. If you were to lease this truck through Volkswagen Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00301 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thanks Kipa :blush: . I'm glad that you find this discussion so helpful. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am sorry to say that Volkswagen's lease program for the 2006 Touareg TDI is not very attractive right now. If you were to lease one through VW Credit for 24 months with 10,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00301 and 65%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I sold my 2004 Touareg a few months ago. Miss it alot, but not the visits to the dealer. The brakes never made a sound when I kept the wheels and brakes clean. I've been following this board since the beginning and don't recall many complaints about noise, except for what I call crud squeek, common to German and Swedish cars with metallic pads. You have to carefully wash your wheels and brakes by hand, using a high pressure stream of water directed at and around the calipers. The car wash won't get it. A little compressed air wouldn't hurt either. You see the black dust on your wheels - it's gotta go away every week or two. The problem is worse where it rains alot. The dust turns to rust and sticks tenaciously to the brake parts. Japanese SUV's don't have the problem because they use a hard, organic pad. Their cars don's stop for beans either. For a 5500 pound truck, I think the brakes have very impressive performance. My complaint is the cost of almost $2000 when it comes time to replace pads and rotors at about 40000 miles.

The drive shaft thing has been going on for years. You'd think they'd have that figured out by now. Takes a couple of hours at the shop and that should fix it for good. I had to have a new transfer case at 1500 miles. Never a lick of trouble from it afterward.

If you want to drive German cars, you better get to know and love your service department. The same goes for Audi, Porsche, BMW or Mercedes from what my relatives and friends tell me. Some of them cover all required maintenance for a few years in the vehicle cost, which you end up paying for anyway. Of course you could always drive a Japanese or American SUV if you wish to sacrifice a little driving "soul." I bought a Ford Explorer V8 and it isn't too bad in the soul department, but it is crude compared to the VW. Never thought I'd buy a Ford, and no, I do not like the door pulls and it is not even close to as good off-road as the VW. Lots of power, comfortable seats, good stereo, good brakes, good in the snow, decent handling and tows well.
    Panzer, thanks for the reply.
  • jholleyjholley Member Posts: 3
    Matt, I have been trying to find out if there is any difference in the 06 and 07 diesel. I have an 06 V8 and love it but dealer has a great deal on a left over diesel. But. I want to know if any difference in the 06 and 07 diesel engine. No one there can tell me. Thanks, Jim Holley
  • wozxxwozxx Member Posts: 1
    I have had a perfect experience with my Touareg. Although it has poor gas mileage (because of its weight). However, its weight gives it better handling and also protection from... say a deer on I-95 at 85mph. (happened a month ago)
  • vwdallasvwdallas Member Posts: 1
    I am considering leasing a 2007 Touareg V6. Because I like the standard features, the base model is fine with me. Unfortunately, I've never leased a car before and don't want to make a bad deal.

The dealership has a "deal" of $399/mo for this car. My trade-in will knock $6,800 off the price. I'm looking for a high-mileage (20k mi/yr) 3-year lease and was tentatively quoted $475/mo, net of my trade-in.

Is this a good deal? What should I "beware" of?

Thanks...
    Hi vwdallas. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Touareg that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this truck's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

I see that you are considering trading in your current vehicle when you lease your new one. There's nothing wrong with doing this, but it would be in your best interest to have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease. I always advise consumers against making large down payments when leasing. Those who make them risk losing their money if their car or truck is stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.