Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volvo S60 Lease Questions

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Umm, they are providing special lease rates on the V70R.
    The program we have is good in all markets except NY.
  • iaswedeiaswede Member Posts: 4
    volvomax,

would you be willing to share the basics info on those lease rates? The volvo website never seems to have any information on leases, perhaps designed so you need to visit the dealer.
    Nothing to share. Volvo doesn't have a special lease program for the S60 R, period.
    Maybe in NY state they do, but no where else.
  • bornracerbornracer Member Posts: 11
    A friend is looking at leasing volvo also through US Bank and he wanted to reduce the monthly by putting a downpayment as a cap cost reduction.

As everyone has posted, I warned him that if in a total or theft incidence, he would lose that money. He should rather put it against the security dep to lower the MF.

He asked the dealer and they stated US Bank does not take extra security deposits. The dealership further stated that the lease includes GAP insurance, so he would not lose any of his cap cost reduction(downpayment) if he put money down.

Please advise if this is true?
  • campbellkeetcampbellkeet Member Posts: 1
    I am considering leasing a 2007 S60 2.5T. Are there any incentives currently. I am not in a big hurry and can wait until summer if that is the better time to lease.
    Also, what is required to maintain the car for the first 3 years assuming 15,000 miles per year. How do insurance rates on Volvo's compare to other cars. THANKS. I have learned a lot already from this forum and look forward to your comments and suggestions.
    downpayment money on a lease is always gone.
    GAP insurance doesn't mean he would get the money back.
    GAP only means that IF the cars value was less than the lease payoff amount the policy would cover that difference.
    while there may be more incentive money at the end of the model year, the residuals will be lower and the selection won't be as good.
    Chances are you won't save much at all by waiting.
  • rriulrriul Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I am new to lease. I went to the local Volvo dealer today to check out the lease deal on S60 that without any options.

Here is what I got.

12000 miles/year for 3 years
    $299/month
    Tax: $2131.65 (IL, 6.75% on MSRP)
    Plate: $ 143
    1st payment: $ 299
    ----------------------
    Out of pocket $2573.65

I have the option to buy the car at the end of lease for $13579.40 or pay $350 to return to dealer.

Does above figure sound right?

Many thanks! :blush:
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi rriul. The 2007 Volvo S60 2.5T Base model appears to be the only S60 trim level that there is a special lease on through Volvo Finance right now. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of one through Volvo Finance with 15,000 miles per year are an amazingly low .00001 and 46%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $2,000 lease cash that is currently available on it into account. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

I'd be happy to give you my opinion on the specific lease that you were quoted, but you never mentioned this car's MSRP or selling price. Let me know what they are and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    based on carman's numbers, i can't come anywhere NEAR $299/mo. So it sounds like you are getting a screaming deal.

Using the .00001 MF and 46% residual, and a selling price of invoice minus $2k rebate on a no-options 2.5T, I come up with a payment of $326 BEFORE tax. Almost $350 after tax. And that's with an even $3k down. You are putting less down and getting a payment $50 under that. Of course, you are talking 12k miles instead of 15k, but that usually only makes a difference of around 2% on the residual, which makes a difference of ~$18/mo. So, assuming carman's numbers are correct, I think you should jump on it. By my calculations, you are getting the vehicle for about $700-$800 UNDER invoice PLUS the extra $2k off.

I'm hoping to find that deal for my brother-in-law, but I'm seriously doubting I could.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

The dealer uses MSRP $31580 (including destination charge) as the purchase price.

Thanks.
    Hi,

I forgot to mention that dealer has $7500 cash back (something around there) on the lease. :blush:

Thanks.
    OHHHH!!! Interesting. So they aren't using volvo finance, then, if I understand everything correctly. Do you know what money factor and residual you are getting?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hi

After 3 years, the residual is $13579.40 which I assume is the price to buy if I am going to purchase the car at the end of lease. I did not ask for the money factor.

Thanks.
    So that's a 43% residual, which is actually lower than volvo finance's residual. Hmmm... well, thanks for that info. It is helpful.

• mmjmmj Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Volvo S60R in excellent condition that is coming off of lease. I would love to purchase it and then sell it. Is that a good idea? It has maintained it's value and I think it would sell fast. The dealer wants it bad so they can sell it...we got a little inside tip on that information. The problem is I don't know the best way to sell it. Can anyone help.
    what's the purchase price and car details?

best way to sell a car? well, the pros around here have repeatedly told me to put an ad in the biggest paper around. I've found that too expensive. Honestly, the best bang for the buck I've gotten is through Ebay. 10 days of national full-color advertising for something like $30 is quite the bargain.

• mmjmmj Member Posts: 4
    Purchase price/buy out option is $21,980.40. Mileage: 34,000; 6 Speed Manual; AWD; 300 HP Turbo Charged 2.5L 5Cyl; Brembo Brakes; Bi-Xenon Headlights; Leather Sport Seats; 18" Titanium Wheels; Premium Sound Package & CD Changer & more.
    hmmm... well, i'm not sure how much you'll make by buying and reselling it. It is up to you if it is worth the trouble. My guess is you might make a grand on it.

(looked real quick and found a certified one by me with 10k less miles with an asking price of $26,9)

Here is the problem.
    If you buy out the lease, you will have to pay sales tax on the buyout price.
    That may wipe out any profit you might make.
    Also, in most cases the dealer can buy the car at auction cheaper than the lease co. will sell it to you for.
    oh hell. if you have to pay tax on TOP of that price, yeah, forget it. No profit there at all. (i was thinking your number was with tax)

• fishymickfishymick Member Posts: 3
    Does this lease quote sound like a Good/Avg./Bad deal?

2007 s60 R - Everything except Navigation
    MSRP - 44560.00
    Negotiated Price - 32400.00
    residual value - 19176.00
    MF .00225
    1500.00 total due at signing
    486.00 per month fir 39 months

This is supposedly on the x-Plan with Wells Fargo as the lender.

Sound like a good deal?
  • m.lm.l Member Posts: 3
    How is this deal on a 36 month, 12k/year lease in Southern California?

2007 t5 s60 with metallic paint, premium package, auto transmission, bi xenon headlights, satellite radio prep:

msrp 38450
    cap cost 27,842
    mf .00202
    residual 43%
    437.08/month including tax
    1,000 drive off (including 1st mo, title, bank fee)
  • lease1lease1 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man

Dealer has offered the following terms on a 2007 demo, (4800 miles)with premium package, metallic paint:

36 months, 15k miles per year.
    $600.00 out of pocket, which include first months payment
    $339 per month plus tax.

Seems like a good deal, can you please confirm.
  • hts666hts666 Member Posts: 8
    How does this sound for a 39 month/12k year lease deal for Los Angeles.

2007 S60R, metallic paint, premium package, auto transmission, 18" wheels.

MSRP: $44,895,
    Quoted price: $37775
    Lease price I was quoted was 429(+tax) with a 2k down payment.

I got similar numbers ($435/month) from another dealer in the area.

Does this sound about right, or can I do better?

Thank you.
  • rrm1020rrm1020 Member Posts: 1
    Im coming out early off a 2005 BMW 3Series lease, I put way too many miles.
    In order for me to get out of the lease as I am "flipped" ill get into a Volvo Lease with the idea of buying at the end of the lease. This hiccup is the price Im paying for leasing and adding tons of miles.

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T black saphire w/taupe interior
    Lease price $26,200 (34,200 less $8,000 dealer cash)
    Add payments and over mileage of $5,100 (final amount determined at delivery date)
    Payments factored on $31,300
    MSRP $35,820
    15,000 MILES YEAR
    48 MONTHS @ $499/MO
    TOTAL OUT OF POCKET $2500.00

What are your thoughts?? Help please!
  • upperc1upperc1 Member Posts: 7
    Is 15,000 miles enough for you? You might want to see if you can get the same payment on a 36-39 month lease. What is the "over-mileage" charges. Volvo is offering some serious money to dealers if they use "outside" banks to do the lease on the S60. It seems that your dealer is taking off $1500 on his end
    Find out what your buyout is on the lease from your leasing company. Maybe CarMax will offer more and you will be less "upside down" and go into your new lease without working the old lease in the deal. Just a thought
    Hi fishymick. X-Plan deals usually are very good. The car that you described, a well equipped 2007 Volvo S60 R has a spread of around $2,800 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. I see that you are leasing it through Wells Fargo instead of Volvo Finance. I believe that Volvo is currently providing a whopping $7,000 cash incentive for leases of the '07 S60 R through independent banks. Plus there is $2,000 lease cash and $1,000 owner loyalty or conquest cash on this car right now. Combine these three cash incentives with the spread between this car's MSRP and invoice price and you have a total of around $12,800 to play with. This explains how you were given such a large discount (over $12,000). The price that you were given on this car looks pretty good to me. If you like it, I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi m.l. The money factor that you mentioned is different than Volvo Finance's current buy rate for this car. I suspect that your lease is being run through an independent bank rather than through Volvo Finance. Volvo is currently providing a $6,000 cash incentive on leases of the 2007 S60 T5 through independent banks plus $2,000 lease cash, plus $1,000 owner loyalty or conquest cash for a total of $9,000 in cash incentives on this car. Plus the car that you described probably has a spread of around $2,400 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. This gives you a total of $11,400 or so to play with in your negotiations. You were quoted a discount of $10,608 on this car. You might be able to shave another couple hundred dollars off of this car's price if you work at it, but this price isn't bad.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello lease1. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

The problem that I personally have with demo vehicles is that dealers never seem to be willing to provide enough of a discount for me to justify purchasing what essentially is a low mileage used vehicle over an otherwise identical brand new one. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but this generally seems to be the case with demos.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings hts666. The car that you described, a well equipped 2007 Volvo S60 R has a spread of around $2,800 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Given the size of the discount that you were quoted, I suspect that you are leasing this car through an independent bank rather than through Volvo Finance. Volvo is currently providing a whopping $7,000 cash incentive for leases of the '07 S60 R through independent banks. Plus there is $2,000 lease cash and $1,000 owner loyalty or conquest cash on this car right now. Combine these three cash incentives with the spread between this car's MSRP and invoice price and you have a total of around $12,800 to play with. You are being given a discount of $7,100. If this lease is not through Volvo Finance, you should be able to negotiate a lower selling price than this. If your lease is being run through Volvo Finance, this is a great price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • mikewilsonmikewilson Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a pending deal on a 2007 S60, with the Premium and Climate packages. Terms are:
    39 months, 15,000 miles per year, $2800 total cash down (includes registration fee, taxes, first month's payment, etc.), and $342 per month.

The bank is Wells Fargo, and the cost of the vehicle (cap cost?) is $24,300... from an original sticker of 35,800. I am scratching my head at how they got the cap cap cost so low. Never owned a Volvo before, hope to be pleased.

Can anyone give me an opinion on whether or not this is a good deal, it seems like it to me.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • stevehollysteveholly Member Posts: 26
    Good afternoon!

Just got back from Volvo of Princeton and made arrangements to lease a 2007 S60 2.5T.

Mike - I had a pretty similar experience price wise...

I'm still amazed at the discounts on Volvos - went in with interest in a S40, but the price difference was something like $15/month - WELL worth the upgrade from the S40 to S60.

I'll pick up the car on Monday, April 2nd.

My details:
    36 month lease through US Bank for 18k/year
    New 2007 S60 2.5T
    Titanium Grey w/ Graphite interior
    Premium, Climate, Satellite Radio Prep
    MSRP - $35,820
    Cap cost - 24,106 (!!!)
    Residual - 41% (due to high miles)
    Money factor - 0.00207 (or ~4.9%)
    Down payment/money out of pocket - $1,648 (include acq fee, 1st month, NJ add-on fees (not state tax) etc.)
    Works out to $408/month
    I think that's terrific!

Steve
  • amorenoamoreno Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys. I appreciate reading all of the posts in this excellent edmunds.com forum. Car_Man (or other friends), can you tell me if this deal makes sense to you guys?

I called a volvo dealership in texas trying to get the residual and money factor numbers on a 36K/36Month lease on a basic volvo s60. Here's what they told me:

Residual-48%
    Money factor-.01 (did they mean .001?) I asked and they told me ".01 is what our computer says." if i'm correct, that's a whopping 24% interest rate. am i safe assumimg they meant .001? or do you guys have the official money factor rate for volvo financing.

they're offering me a basic s60 for $26,080. the sales manager told me that the monthly payment would be $364. i told him i don't want to put any money down and he said it was fine. the total costs would be: $365 first payment, $108 fees, $375 security deposit, and then a $80 fee (for something i do not know). did he forget taxes? as i am in texas.

to summarize: can i get a better cap price? and what is the money factor and residual?

your help would be much appreciated!

andy
  • mellow2mellow2 Member Posts: 1
    We are currently leasing a s40 2.4i 2004, original lease package was 48 months, 15k mi. Currently at 32 months with 36k miles. We want to trade up to a s60 2.5t, 2007, with premium and sports package, sticker price is $38k, price on lease offered is $30k. Was offered $15k for the trade in value of car (s40). Dealer offered lease package $479/mo. (through us bank) with tax, 48 mos., 12k, $1k down (first payment, tax, tags included). Reading through the forum it doesn't seem to be a good deal. Any advice? (our credit is perfect).
    reading through the forum doesn't help you much because you have so much negative equity that you are rolling into the new car. Getting out of a lease early on a steeply depreciating car is never cheap.

There are typically 2 choices when trading in the car, either all of the remaining payments are rolled in to the next car OR the difference between trade-in value and current buyout. If you were offered $15k on the S40 ... I'm taking a wild guess and saying you are probably rolling ~$4k negative equity??? On a 4-year lease, that is probably bumping your payment up by at least $80. Probably more like $90. So if it wasn't for that negative, the deal would be under $400/mo.

Still doesn't seem great for a 4-year lease, though. Personally, I'm really opposed to leasing past 3 years.

By the way, you've driven the current car 36k miles in 32 months. So it seems a 12k/yr lease is not enough for you.

Hello Mike. Volvo is currently providing enormous cash incentives on leases of the '07 S60 through independent banks like Wells Fargo. The exact amount of cash that is available through this program ranges from $6,000 to $8,000, depending upon the trim level of the vehicle that you want. In addition to the cash for leases through independent banks, Volvo is providing $2,000 cash on leases of this car through any source. That puts the total cash on leases of the S60 at $8,000 to $10,000! That's how the dealer you are working with was able to give you such a large discount on this car. I don't know exactly which S60 you are getting, but the selling price that you were quoted looks very attractive to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Andy. You're right, there's no way that this car's money factor is .01000. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for a completely stripped version of the '07 S60 2.5T is actually .00001. This is the lowest possible money factor for a lease. In addition to this attractive month factor, Volvo is providing a $2,000 cash incentive on leases of this car that will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost. If you provide me with the MSRP of this car I would be happy to give you my opinion on the selling price that you were quoted.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi mellow2. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • spiderdanspiderdan Member Posts: 10
    I'm currently in negotiations with a local dealer in Cleveland, OH for an S60 2.5T w/Premium package, climate, and metallic paint. Here are the details:

- MSRP: $35,725
    - Due at delivery: $694 (first payment, doc, title, taxes)
    - Cap cost: $25,425
    - Ohio taxes added upfront (to be worked into monthly payments): $1,025
    - Residual value: $12,488
    - Money factor: .00191
    - Term: 48 months
    - Monthly payment (includes tax): $391.00

Using the online lease calculator at LeaseGuide.com, the monthly payment should be $365.25. And at 36 months, the payment should be $326.16 (the dealer quoted my $419.00). Is the dealer hiding some profit in the numbers they presented me?

Also, are the attractive lease rates that people were getting back in August ($299 for 36 months on 07 S60's) not obtainable anymore? By chance, could these appear again this summer (for 2008 models)?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Also, are the attractive lease rates that people were getting back in August ($299 for 36 months on 07 S60's) not obtainable anymore?

it may be obtainable now, but it would be on one with far less options than what you are looking at.

I'm not sure about your numbers, but it would seem to me $694 up front does not cover all the fees. What about security deposit? What about the bank fee (usually $600 by itself)? Maybe these items are throwing you off.

There is no security deposit but it does seem odd that the bank fee wasn't mentioned. That's probably rolled into the lease. But even at $600, the total monthly payment with tax would be $378. Would it make better sense to pay the bank fees up front?
    Would it make better sense to pay the bank fees up front?

I would say so. With it rolled into the lease, you are paying interest on it.

Just returned from another Volvo dealership and my S60 will be delivered fresh with 0 miles next week:

- MSRP: $35,725
    - Cap cost: $25,425
    - Ohio taxes due upfront (worked into monthly payments): $1,025
    - Residual value: $12,488
    - Money factor: .00191
    - Term: 48 months/12,000 miles
    - Total due at delivery: $1,247 (first payment, doc, title, bank fee)
    - Monthly payment (includes tax): $365.26

I think I got a great deal - let me know what you all think. I would love to have your input Car_Man.
  • amorenoamoreno Member Posts: 4
    Car_Man,

MSRP is 31,680 (including destination charge.

Question, are you saying i can negotiate the cap cost from around 25K down to 23K becuase of the $2000 cash incentive volvo is providing on leases? if so, i think i should renegotiate and jump on this deal!

thanks for you input and looking forward to hearing back from you.
    andy
  • realtorken1realtorken1 Member Posts: 14
    2007 S60 2.5t with sunroof,leather, heated seats, etc. for 36 months/12000 miles per year for $299/month + tax with $2000 due at signing.

42% Residual
    4.9% Lease which breaks down to ... .000?? You know

What do you think? With the $2000 down after taxes it would come to about $322 a month DEAL OR NO DEAL??

Thanks in advance
  • realtorken1realtorken1 Member Posts: 14
    forgot to mention, price of vehicle is 23,866
  • dm13850dm13850 Member Posts: 14
    Car_Man and others -

First, thanks for providing so much great information on this forum. I'm about to lease for the 8th time and I'm sure the advice I've gotten here has saved me many thousands of dollars over the years.

I'm looking to lease a 2007 S60 R with the following options:
    - Manual transmission
    - Premium package
    - Climate package
    - Interior air quality system
    - Sat. radio prep

MSRP is $42,975, and I have two questions:

What are the current MF and residual for 36 months, 12k per year from Volvo?

What incentives are available right now on this specific model? I've seen reference to the $7k lease incentive through other banks, $1k conquest cash (assume this means I can get it as long as I have a non-Volvo right now), and $2k in general lease cash. Are these all still available?

Thanks in advance!
  • dm13850dm13850 Member Posts: 14
    Anyone know the answer to my questions above? I would especially appreciate any info on the current incentives for this model.
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I can't speak to your lease, however I just leased the following: '07 S-60 AWD with the 3 big options,cold weather package, upgraded auto-transmission, fog lights, etc.

The lease was made with 750 down and includes the 8,000 rebate for leasing and is a 48 month-15k/year miles. The residual was 33%. I can't remember the exact figure, but the buy out at the end was about 12500.

Working the numbers, the lease will cost me $ 500 more than just an outright buy. However, buying only had a 4,500 rebate and I can keep the purchase price (about 32k after 4,500 rebate/dealing with salesman, etc) in the bank and can make 5% easy these days in just a CD. So, for me leasing works out financially.