Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80 Lease Questions

Comments

• sweeney4sweeney4 Member Posts: 17
    Please supply the Money factor and residuals on a Volvo S80 12k :D
  • onconc Member Posts: 26
    Hi Car_man:
    Edmunds mentions that the current cash incentive is $4000 on all trims, what do you think?
    Hello all,
    If you are a Costco member, they have a special now through 7/7 for buying or leasing 2008 S80. It is $500 off invoice (you get all dealer rebates as well) and after you have the car you get $500 cash card you can spend at Costco. It is definitely a worthwhile investment to be a Costco member for this.
    I am going to the dealer tomorrow to talk with them about this. Costco assigned you a dealer with certain salesmen to talk to.
    Good luck to all.
  • volvos82volvos82 Member Posts: 1
    Since I used this site thought I would post my details.

New 2008 Volvo s80 t6 AWD. Climate package, metallic paint
    MSRP - 44000
    Cost 33500
    Residual: about 20000
    Money factor 0.0019
    Tax - 5%
    36 month, 15k miles/year
    Montly payment: $480
    About $1000 due at signing + first month lease payment
  • jabberjabber Member Posts: 64
    Leased this in May...the incentives may have changed this month...sorry for the delay in posting.

S80 T6 w/ Sport, Climate, and PCC
    MSRP: 46,750 + 2195 in residualized package discounts = 48,945
    Selling Price: 34,780
    Residual: 47%
    MF: .00163

Rolled in doc fee, NJ tax (which is on both the interest and the depreciation now), title/reg, tire fee for no money down

$492 x 36 months
    Did you go through Volvo financing or other bank?
    I have a selling price of 30,670 (base S80) after all discounts and with 2000 down the monthly payments are 509 for 36 months.
    The manager tells me that he is going with a bank which will not charge me taxes and with residual of 43%,MF 0.003.
    I though the monthly payment is high.
    onc, I'd walk from that deal. I don't know what state you're in, but taxes are mandated by the state or county that you live in and are charged by the government not a bank. Sounds fishy to me. Second of all that money factor is terrible and the residual is bad also. I went through US Bank since the incentives that were provided required me to do an independent third party bank lease, not Volvo Finance. Just move on to another dealer.
    Jabber, thanks for your reply.
    I live in Texas, and the manager is going through Chase. Volvo now is doing 4250 rebate and additional 3000 if you lease through third party (this is what the manager told me). This is all great as he is selling the car at invoive minus 7250. But the monthly payment is high given the bad residual and MF as you pointed.
    What is a good monthly payment on this car?
    Do you suggest a 3rd party bank I can deal with ?

Appreciate your help.
    I got this offer on S80 base model:
    Cash Down 0 2,700.00 3,700.00
    24 Months 490 370 325
    36 Months 510 430 396
    48 Months 490 425 399
    12,000 miles/yr
    MSRP: 37,900
    Final price: 30,150

What do you guys think?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi sweeney4. Volvo is only running a special lease program on the base 2008 S80. If you were to lease one through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00142 and 50%, respectively. If you want to lease any other version of this car, you will be better off doing so through an independent bank. Volvo has special cash incentives for leases of this car through banks other than Volvo Finance.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Onc, the $4,000 incentive is dealer cash. That is different than the alternate retailer lease cash that I mentioned. Dealer cash is not available on leases.

Car_man
    Host
    Congratulations on getting your new S80, volvos82. Thanks for giving back and taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Make sure to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • jessepresleyjessepresley Member Posts: 2
    Here's the "printout" I got from a Bay Area Volvo dealer. I eagerly await your input!
    '08 S80 3.2

MSRP $45,710.00
    LEV% 46%
    Lease End Value $21,026.00
    Term: 36 months, 12k year
    Money Factor: .00209
    Total sales tax: $1,547.28
    Initial Cap Cost: $35,012.00
    Adjusted Cap Cost $35,012.00
    Base monthly rental: $505.60
    Total annual fees: $300.75
    Total Initial Fees: $840.00
    amount due at start $1,689.33
    Total monthly payment $548.58

i'm fuzzy about what the heck an annual fee and inital fees are. i'm probably supposed to be fuzzy about them!
  • jessepresleyjessepresley Member Posts: 2
    Any love? :confuse:
  • dadianiodadianio Member Posts: 1
    Just got done talking to a salesman about leasing an S80 Base Model. Here's what he offered (no tough negotiating done at ths point - just the initial offer):

MSRP 39450
    Price 34150
    Term 24 months
    Miles/year 15000
    Residual 24065 (61%)
    Initial Payment 2995 (includes tax, title, acq fee, doc fee, and first month's payment)
    Monthly payment 419

Now, here's the interesting part. The difference between the purchase price and the residual value is 10085. Divide this by 24 and you get 420, which is essentially the same as the payment. So, based upon these numbers, the money factor/interest rate is zero. The saleman is a little fuzzy on getting me info on how the monthly payment is calculated. I know the purchase price of the car is somewhat high, and perhaps the residual is low, but you can't have your cake and eat it to. I guess the bottom line on a lease is the payment, not how they arrived at it. Any thoughts?
  • lesseeofs80lesseeofs80 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

2008 S80
    Metallic Paint; no other options
    MSRP $40,020
    Res. Value 44%
    Lease Term 39 months/12K per year mileage
    Penalty $0.20
    Lease End Value $17,608
    Intial Cap Cost $29,153
    Cash Cap Reduction $380
    Adj. Cap Cost $28,773
    Lease Factor .00207
    Base Monthly Pmt $382.27
    Tax $26.76
    Total Monthly Pmt $409.03

Out of Pocket
    Sales Tax $1,070
    Lic & Reg $150
    VCF (?? - not sure what this is?) $695
    Fees $73.16
    Total Due at Start $1,733
    1st Pmt Date July 25
  • powderroompowderroom Member Posts: 1
    lease on s80 3.2
    troy, michigan

purchase price: $44,000
    lease length: 24 months
    color: titanium gray metallic
    down payment: $3600
    total monthly payment: $398.88
    miles per year: 12,000 miles

good deal? or no no?
  • aceusmleaceusmle Member Posts: 28
    2008 S80 3.2 basic model lease contract
    California Bay Area Dealer

MSRP: $39,450
    Base Cap Cost: $34,750
    Term: 24 months
    Annual Mileage: 15,000
    Residual: 61%
    Cash Cap Reduction: $2,554.41
    Total Cash Down (includes all fees + first payment + all taxes): $3,529.72
    23 Monthly payments of: $427.55 + tax

Are the numbers reasonable for a layman like me?
  • godawgsgodawgs Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the Atlanta area, and have been shopping the same car, base 3.2, and have 2 dealers that are offering 0 down, 0 security deposit, $379 a month... Both dealers have several models in the 39k msrp, give or take a couple of hundred.... Both of these are sign and drive... The original deal was posted in the Atlanta newspaper by one of the dealers on only one Vin number, but I've spoken with both and they say it'd be honored on others as well... I've not signed the deal yet, as I am trying to sweeten the numbers a bit being that my wife has an xc90 leased presently and hoping to get a better deal with some loyalty money..... Needless to say, I think you can sweeten your deal a bit... Though I'm not sure how much more it should be being in S.Fran... But I don't think it should be that much more.....
  • aceusmleaceusmle Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for your input godawgs

There is a similar deal here in the bayarea with the $379 monthly payment, but it's with a $2,973 down payment + tax and fees, 24 months term & 21,000 miles.

My deal gives me 30,000 miles (9,000 miles more), & my down payment of about $3,530 includes a hefty 8.25% tax, & about $300 of registration fees!

By the way advertised deals & what you walk out with are not always identical ... if one variable changes (like mileage) the residual & money factor change. But this Atlanta deal does sound very attractive!
  • s60leasers60leaser Member Posts: 61
    Dealer proposed the following for an S80, saying it was "a better (ie:cheaper) deal than the s40 I was shopping for and a lot more car..."

S80 3.2 heated seats(he added them based on a convoluted rebate)
    3 yr/45Kmiles
    RV=43% or $17,651
    mf=.0019
    MSRP=41,050 (?)
    invoice=36,383 less:
    3250 lease discount
    3250 lease bonus
    750 heated seats rebate
    1000 s60 to s80 lease loyalty
    500 COSTCO discount (this may have expired-I am checking)

but dealer came up with $29,280 sell price
    and $412. mo pymt plus 6%tax= 436

What do you think?(?new math?) I feel like I am getting the run around... :confuse: :confuse:
  • s60leasers60leaser Member Posts: 61
    The dealer has now come up with a new S80 3.2 lease deal: 3/36 . rebates$4,000 plus $4250, plus free factory scheduled maintenance or additional discount. I have not heard back from him re: what that means in terms of a mo pymt.

Based on your knowledge of Volvo deals out there for July, three questions:

1) What should I expect in terms of RV,MF.

2) If i lease then want to buy out the lease before it ends, how is the purchase price calculated?Dealer suggested I could take advantage of the leasing rebates then buy the car after 2-3 months to get the lower price (implying the buyout is based on sell price not MSRP)

3) Why is MSRP used to calculate depreciation-and not the sell price, which we all struggle to negotiate!
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    With Volvo advertising "model year end clearance", where are the 2009s? I expect they will be as aggressive in trying to move those in a lousy economy.
    Hi s60leaser. Volvo is only currently providing lease support on base S80 3.2 models. If you were to lease a base '08 S80 3.2 through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00118 and 48%, respectively. If you want to lease any other version of this car, you will be better off doing so through an independent bank.

To me, it doesn't make sense to buy out a lease before its scheduled end. Doing so will probably end up costing you more money than if you had waited until the scheduled end of your lease and compared your car's purchase price to what you would have to pay for a similar car on the open market.

The interest portion of your car's lease payment is based upon the selling price that you negotiate, but the depreciation portion is based upon a percentage of its full MSRP. Banks base their residual values upon cars' MSRPs because theoretically all S80s are worth the same amount at the end of three years, regardless of what selling price the lessee negotiated.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi crestonave. Volvo just published a new special lease program for 2009 models last week. If they aren't already at dealers I suspect that '09 Volvos will start to arrive very soon.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello Car_man, and thanks for your reply. Where can I find details on the 2009 lease program? I'm particularly interested in the XC70 which I've read will be available with the choice of a more powerful engine in 2009. Thanks!
  • theroux1theroux1 Member Posts: 13
    I'm ready to do a lease on a:

2008 S80 T6 AWD
    Metallic paint
    Sport package
    Climate package
    PCC
    Sat Prep
    Blind Spot

$0 down (just tags)
    $491/month plus tax
    36 months
    12,000 miles/year

It seems to be too good a deal to pass up!
    That seems like a good deal to me...I got the same car, sans the metallic paint (got black) and blind spot, but with 15K miles/yr and nothing down at all (rolled in all inceptions) for the exact same payment, same term. No brainer if you ask me. Sport makes the car...zubra 18s, low profile tires, variable suspension, cooled sport seats, reticulating bi-zenons. Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should push for 15k. It's tough finding one with sport though!
  • smh2008smh2008 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the great advice. I'm actually in preliminary talks for a used (demo) 2008 S80 3.2 model with 6,000 miles. The only upgrades are PCC and the climate package. I haven't really started negotiating yet, so I wanted to get some advice from you before I head back in there to cut a deal this weekend.

Since the car was a demo, it is eligible for the new car program, meaning, I can still lease it. After reading your last comment ("money factor and residual value would be .00118 and 48%, respectively"), I feel like I need to negotiate those terms more aggressively. I had already planned on questioning the dealership about them, but if you say that I should be getting better terms, I'll make sure I don't sign before something changes. Then again, you may tell me that because the car is used, then my terms are spot-on. Either way, I would think that the residual factor should essentially be the same, new or used.

The lease terms I have been given so far are as follows:

MSRP: $39,950
    Capitalized Cost: $29,000
    Bank Fee: $995
    Total Cap: $29,995
    Cap Reduction: $3,025.27
    Net Cap: $26,969.73
    Residual: $17,267.15 (43.22%)
    Money Rate: .00209
    MONTHLY PAYMENT: $361.98 (+28.05 tax = $390.03)

So basically, aside from the money rate and residual issue, is there anything else that glares out at you that I should address? From some of the discounts that people listed above, I feel like they should be giving me more discounts (although the car is used, so my initial capitalized cost is significantly lower).

Thanks for your help!
    Well, opted for the V8 after all (instead of the T6). It seems like it's a really great lease deal at the moment.

MSRP $57,000 (everything except Nav & Collision Package)
    Cap Cost $39,654 (selling price)
    Residual $24,500

36 month lease / 12,000 miles per year
    $2,100 down
    $527/month

Total cost of use: $21,100/36 mos.

Anyone do better than this?
  • zamozamo Member Posts: 122
    MSRP $57,000 (everything except Nav & Collision Package)
    Cap Cost $39,654 (selling price)

Damn!!
    I know right now that Volvo is hot to move 2008's and I see that a lot of folks are getting spectacular deals on 2008's. I've always admired the Cross Country (XC70) but after driving a 2008 I decided that I'd prefer a little more power. I know that the T6 will be available in the 2009 XC70. Are there current programs on the 2009? Thanks!
    Hi crestonave. This particular discussion is for community members to talk about leasing the Volvo S80. You stand a much better chance of having any questions that you have about leasing an XC70 answered if you post them over in the "Volvo XC70 Lease Questions" discussion.

For now I can quickly provide you with the info that you're looking for. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 XC70 3.2 with 15,000 miles per year are .00169 and 51%, respectively. Volvo is not providing lease support on any other trim levels of this vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey crestonave. Please see my previous post for the info that you're looking for.

Car_man
    Host
    I leased back in 6/08 but forgot to post it. This site helped me a lot and I thank everyone here for that.

I got 2008 S80 3.2, Gold metallic paint, PCC, climate and sport package.
    I took 48 month lease given the warranty covers the whole 4 years and I take good care of my cars. I also was not sure if the S80 will have such discounts in 3 years.

I do not remember the exact numbers but MSRP was around $45500, selling price around $33500 (invoice minus $500 Costco discount minus $4250). MF was around 0.00225
    Downpayment was $1500, monthly with tax: $484.
    Done through Chase bank ($1000 allowance for wear and tear).

It is probably not the best deal possible but they gave me an extra $500 on my trade in than anybody else (including Carmax) and Costco mailed me $500 cash card. So you take that extra $1000 and I think it becomes a great deal.

By the way, the car is just amazing. NO problems so far. Sport package with cooled seats is very nice here in Texas. The value for the money can not be matched by anything else in the market. The car rides like a charm and feels very luxurious inside. I will get XC90 for my wife in 12/08 when our Pilot lease is up.
    Congratulations on getting your new S80, onc. Thanks for stopping back to let us all know how everything turned out. If you'd like, you can also hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your dealer experience. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    How do you like the car. Seems like a great deal. Im looking at a similar car and the initial email numbers from the first dealer are over $600.00 month with 1500 down on three years at 15 k year! Doesnt seem like a very good deal.Im in Michigan and there are 3-4 dealers here.
    I love it. I would have been very happy with the V6 turbo but the V8 is very nice. I'd look for another dealer if the first one won't deal. I had two separate dealers within 20 miles offer the same deal to me. I'm in Southern NJ/PA.
  • carfan22carfan22 Member Posts: 11
    Car Man or others, I am in market for either 2008 or 2009 s80. Over the weekend dealers told me that there was no more leasing on 2008's only to be told today that Volvo Finance is offering leases. I hear that $4750 dealer cash may still be available on 2008's but no idea on 2009. Any idea about incentives, residuals, factors on 36 or 48 month leases 12k per year? Any other suggestions appreciated.
    Hi carfan22. Volvo Finance was running a special lease program on the 2008 S80 in October, but only in certain parts of the U.S., specifically the Southern and Western parts. In those areas, Volvo Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '08 S80 3.2 2WD with 12,000 miles per year were .00189 and 45%, respectively. I say were because I have not seen if this lease program has changed for the month of November yet. It probably hasn't, but I still need to check.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 model are .00234 and 51%.

For leases through independent banks Volvo is providing $9,000 on the '08 S80 3.2 2WD and $6,500 on the '09 model.

Car_man
    Host
  • carfan22carfan22 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks car Man,

I am not sure the $9000 and $6500 continued past Oct 31 but I will check.
  • jordon26jordon26 Member Posts: 5
    Carman,

I am looking to lease (in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale) a 2009 S80 T6 with metallic paint (req'd), the executive package, and park assist front and rear. MSRP, according to my numbers, should be $46390. I am looking for a 12k mi. lease for 36 mo.'s. What's the MF? What's the residual?

Also, I know Volvo is offering $2k for current Volvo owners, and a $750 holiday gift card which I've been told can also be applied to the deal. Any other incentives that you are aware of?

Thanks in advance!
    FYI - Costco has another holiday Volvo promotion going on - $500 under employee pricing plus a Costco gift card and all other incentives still apply.
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the S80 is not part of the special offer.
    :cry:
  • serdarflserdarfl Member Posts: 13
    Jordon,
    I would like to clear something... Costco gets you Invoice - [All the incentinves+$1000]... Customer also gets a $500 gift card to be used at the Costco stores. If you have any further questions send me an email, I would be able to help you since I am very familiar with Volvo products/promotions.
  • JPeriwinkleJPeriwinkle Member Posts: 9
    Serdar:
    One question on the Costco program: Is the S80 included or not ?

Also, question to Serdar or Carman: A local dealership is running the following ad:
    '09 S80 (Base Car) lease with a total down of $2,750 ($2k out of pocket plus the $750 gift card from Volvo) .... 24 months / 12k miles ... payment of $399 plus tax.

How do the numbers look to you? My guess is they could even go lower or get more of a car for same price as dealers try to squeak in the last sales for the year. Your thoughts ?
    After the Dec 4 post by serdarfl, I followed up with Costco and the fact is that the S80 is not part of the same promotion as the XC70, XC90 and V70. However, I went as far as talking to a representative that handles the Costco program at one of the Volvo dealers in the area, and he stated that through Costco I could get invoice price on the S80, plus all the applicable incentives at the moment.

Unfortunately, all they have available at the moment are T6's with oyster gray exterior and black interior, a color scheme I am not interested in. Ordering the car I want is always an option, but the current incentives don't include vehicles delivered outside of the incentive dates. However, if all you want is a 3.2, there should be plenty of those to choose from.
  • JPeriwinkleJPeriwinkle Member Posts: 9
    Jordon:
    how do you compare this vehicle to it's competitor's ? I have really just begun looking at this car and have never owner a Volvo before. It appears to be a value compared to other mid to large sized luxury sedans.
    JPeriwinkle,

I think the Edmunds review on the S80 is right on the money. As far as quality and reliability, you may also want to check out similar blogs that deal with that. I have never owned an S80 before, so I cannot speak from experience except to say that my wife has been driving an XC90 for almost 4 years now and we have both been very pleased with that vehicle. We've never had an issue with our Volvo, and we love almost everything about it.

Having said that, I recently decided to take the plunge and lease a 2009 T6 with the works. I can't wait until I take possession of the car next week.