Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC70 Lease Questions

Comments

• meshugymeshugy Member Posts: 24
    Hi Tenmiler,

Interesting to see your lease from way back in 2004. As you can see from my #s posted above, you can get an even better deal on an XC right now. Volvo is offering Dealers over $9K to move the 2007 model, presumably to make room for the redesigned 2008. It's the end of the model year AND the end of this designs lifespan (10 years). So they want to get them off the lots. Local dealers still have loads of them, so they're willing to do just about anything.

I'm not familiar with deals for other models, may also be very competitive right now too. But the 2007 XCs seem to be a very good deal.

Good luck!
  • brifromdcbrifromdc Member Posts: 14
    I'm getting ready to lease an 2007 XC70 and would love to get have an idea of what others have paid in the last few weeks. Thanks
    I'd like to hear what sort of deals you're getting. I leased last week and got:

XC70 with climate, convenience, and premium packages. Also had the air quality option and is wired for a sirius radio and an ipod. They also threw in a free 36 month service package and cross bars for the roof rails.

Term: 36 months
    MSRP: 43,950
    Cap: 31,250
    Residual: 18,149
    Down: 750 (includes 1st payment and all fees)
    Monthly payment: $510(includes tax)
    Miles: 15000
  • fargodogfargodog Member Posts: 13
    Hello,
    Great site. Lots of good info. I am looking at getting out of my 2006 Saab 9-3 lease and into a Volvo XC70 lease. My lease ends 12/31/06. It is a 24 month lease, 25,000 miles per year, so I have 7 payments left of $745.41 per month with a total of $4969.37 left. I just spoke to a local dealer and here is what the lease would be without factoring in the Saab (sorry, don't have all the info, first contact and need to get payoff on Saab before asking for all the numbers). It has the premium, convenience, and climate packages.

(before factoring in current Saab lease)
    MSRP: 42,800
    Cap: unknown
    Residual: unknown
    Down: 2200 (includes 1st payment and all fees)
    Monthly payment: $572(includes tax)
    Miles: 28,000 per year

Yes, that is correct, 28,000 miles a year. I have driven this many miles a year for the last 5 years consistently.

Has anyone leased an XC70 recently with this many miles (or close to it) per year?
    Has anyone bought more miles under the warranty so that the car is covered for the miles as well as months? How much did it cost?

Any info on high mileage leases on the XC70 greatly appreciated.
  • tenmilertenmiler Member Posts: 26
    Thanks mesguy. Sure looks like the pricing is attractive; guessing your monthly is higher than mine because you didn't do any cap cost reduction on the lease.

I may consider an 07, but I think I want a change. Given the first year issues with Volvo (2001 XC70, 2004 V50), I think I'll shy away from the new XC70 but I'd rather not drive a car that's going to be outdated for a few years.

That said, it has been a terrific car and if I could (finally) get DSTC on the car. Volvo, for no reason I can find, made it nearly impossible to get DSTC on '04 XC's--I could not find one anywhere in Colorado, where it would make a huge difference in icy road handling--something the XC70 was mostly okay at, but not great.

The best part was the dealer--McDonald Volvo in Denver--made fun of DSTC, saying it was a 'useless novelty' (apparently a novelty that is now offered standard on nearly every crossover and every SUV and also is now required on SUVs)

That is why I will not buy this car at the end of the lease.
    Too bad about the DTSC.

Cap cost reductions are a waste. If you do the math you always save more by just paying the min. fees up front and having a higher monthly payment. At least that was the case in nearly every lease I've seen.

good luck!

'm
  • ericflericfl Member Posts: 9
    After a few weeks of looking and negotiating we did this deal today. 2007 XC70 with premium and convenience packages including sirius set up.

MSRP: 43,658
    Cap: 28,909
    Residual: 18,800
    Down: 1500 (includes first, tax, tag and fee's)
    Monthly payment: $424 (includes tax)
    Miles: 12000

Feels like a good deal and the wife is happy... Well, right up to the point when we noticed gas leaking on to the driveway and a flatbed came to pick it up only an hour after we got it home. :cry: Let's hope it's not major.
    That's a really good deal! A bit better then what I got....I wonder how they got the Cap so low. I haggled 6 dealers to the brink of exhaustion and none could get the cap lower then $31K. This is in Seattle...where are you?

Although my residual was slightly lower and my miles were higher (15,000). But in the end, if you bought the car you'd be paying about $1.5K less then me. Good work!
    I'm in Florida and I bet your car was not on a flatbed an hour after you got home with it. ;)
    Good point! We took it on a road trip this weekend. It has several hundred miles now and is running great (fingers corssed).
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey joewerth. Volvo's current cash incentives on the XC70 are scheduled to run through July 9th.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome handelbob. Volvo's lease program on the 2007 XC70 is scheduled to run from early April through July 9th without any changes. Having said this, manufacturers do make unscheduled revisions to vehicles incentives from time to time. These revisions are usually enhancements though, so I don't think that you have to worry about this vehicle's lease program getting any worse between now and early July.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi meshugy. Volvo is currently providing a $3,000 cash incentive on leases of the 2007 XC70 through Volvo Finance and a $9,500 cash incentive on leases of it through independent banks. I would be happy to give you my opinion of the deal that you were quoted, but it would be a big help if you would provide me with this vehicle's full MSRP first. It will show me how much of a discount you are being given.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey meshugy. I see that you posted this vehicle's MSRP and selling price in a subsequent post. Let's take a look. This deal definitely appears as though it is being run through an independent bank rather than through Volvo Finance. You are being given a whopping $12,000 discount on this vehicle. This amounts to a $2,500 dealer discount once the $9,500 cash for leases of the XC70 through independent banks is backed out. This looks like a very good deal to me. If you like the truck, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    This certainly does look like a good deal. Congratulations on your new ride, meshugy. Thanks for taking the time to let us all know how everything turned out.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    I'm glad that you like this site so much, fargodog. I assume that you mean your current lease is scheduled to end on 12/31/07 rather than '06. If so, it means that you still have around six months left on your current lease. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

I would be happy to give you my opinion on the XC70 lease that you are considering if you tell me that its capitalized cost is. This number will show me how much of a discount you are being given on your new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on getting your new XC70, ericfl. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your deal with everyone. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thanks for the analysis Car_man! I'm pretty happy with the deal....reading this forum really helped know what to shoot for, So thanks, you guys saved me $1000s!

Although it looks like eric got a little better deal. He got a cap cost around $28K. $2K lower then mine. But maybe the regional differences in pricing (Seattle/Florida) had something to do with it.

'm
  • meteop34meteop34 Member Posts: 8
    This has been by far the best site I've visited over the past year trying to get info on what people have paid for leases on different cars. After looking around and pricing different cars, I thought that for the money XC70 was the best deal around right now and it was a bonus that my wife loved the car as well. It was also the best experience I have had leasing a car. The salesman did not pressure us into getting the car at all and gave us the deal within 10 minutes without any haggling. The funny thing was that they had the car in the color and options we wanted. It was Lava Sand with Premium, Convinience and Climate packages, but we walked away not ready to sign that day. Well, we called back the same day and came back before closing but somebody already had purchased the car right after we left. So, the dealer tracked another XC70 for us in the exact same configuration and told us that we can pick it up any time we want with the same deal. We even waited two weeks until we picked it up. Here is the deal that we got:

MSRP: $42,855 (metallic, premium, convinience, climate)
    Cap Cost: $29,799
    Residual: $18,476.24
    Due at signing: $2,569.49 (1st payment + tax + DMV + acquisition + doc fees)
    Term: 36 month
    Mileage: 15,000
    Monthly: $416.86

This was in NJ. I would recommend this dealer to anyone. Extremely honest adn sincere.
    Nice deal meteop34....very similar to what I got. You put more down ($2569) then I ($750). But your payments are lower and your cap cost is lower. Although my MSRP was a bit higher, at $43,150. So overall, about the same deal. I also got a free 36 month matinence package ($500) and cross bars which was nice ($200).

Although, your monthly payments are pretty low. What is the tax in NJ? Does your $416.86 include tax? In Seattle it's 9.2% which adds $43 a month.

Interesting you got such a good deal without haggling...and on the East Coast too! I had to push the Seattle salesman to the limit to get pretty much the same deal.
    The sales tax in NJ is 7% or $1104.93. So, my total monthly payments would have been $447.55, but my wife and I wanted to keep the payments low. Also, my down payment included 1st month's payment. But, yes I was exteremely pleased with the experience. Now, my wife and I just have to decide who gets to drive. :-)
    Hi Car man,
    Can you post the June lease programs, especially for MA and RI, when you get the updates?

I did not pull the trigger on any deals yet. Two dealers offered to cut me $5000 checks to pay off remaining payments, but I am looking at additional costs to get out of current lease, including $350 disposition fee and damage/excessive wear and tear details. Anything I should know about this vs. dealer taking car and paying it off themselves?

thanks
    Dennis
  • tenmilertenmiler Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the replies to posts--this is a great site.

And one question I've been pondering is about what strategy on a leased XC70 one should take if they have a wear-and-tear issue. This is the end of my first lease.

Someone hit my rear bumper at a very slow pace in a parking lot and it put a crack in the plastic (did not damage otherwise nor did it even scratch the brown plastic).

Otherwise the car is in stellar condition, with not even one door ding or other scratch. It's also got a 45K mileage limit on it but actual miles are going to be 27K at end of lease.

But I wonder if I should take the hit when I turn in the car at end of lease this August or have it fixed at my expense now (approx $600 or so I was quoted at one time for a new bumper), or would it be better to just leave it and either take the charge or negotiate a deal if I get into a new car with the dealer?
  • babycarbabycar Member Posts: 9
    Hi-we're planning on leasing a XC70, but don't need it until September/October (my wife's pregnant and currently drives a Mini). Do you think Volvo will have as good or better lease deals after this one expires in July since the 2008 will be coming out around that time? Or should we jump on this program before it expires?
    babycar... I was in a similar situation because we had a lease on a Mazda that was expering in the beginning of August so we still had to make 2 payments. At the end, we decided that it was better for us to return Mazda 2 months early and pay the two remaining payments, but get a great deal on the XC70. At the end, even if the deals are same or better the issue that you will face is availability of the 2007 models. We did not want to gamble on that. Instead, we got the car with all the packages we wanted and in the color that we loved.
    babycar

First off, congratulations. I assume this is your first chile since your wife drives a mini and you are looking to get a car that is much larger. I can't predict the deals in Sept/Oct, but I would imagine they would still be pretty good. As meteop34 points out, your selection may not be as good as right now. Dealer inventory in my area, MA, is 15-20 XC70's at each dealer, based on web site inventory.

Let's look at your situation from a different perspective. Please, no flames about being sexist, just trying to help. As Sept/Oct gets closer, your wife may find getting in and out of the Mini more and more difficult as well as uncomfortable. I would think that access to the front seat in the XC70 may be easier and the seating more comfortable. Also, things are going to get crazy hectic for you as the time nears so why not get rid of this decision now instead of adding it to the stress in Sept/Oct. It is the most incredible experience having a child, why not minimize outside distractions so you can enjoy the moment? I know for me that my ability to negotiate and get a good deal would be diminished with the birth of my first child. I would probably sign a full MSRP deal just to get the car and get the pressure off me. The current deals are awesome so unless there is a financial reason to wait or something we don't know about, get the XC70 now. I don't know the crash ratings on the Mini, but I would imagine the XC70 safety ratings are a lot better.

I have two girls, 4 and 2, and I can't explain to you how much your life changes and becomes so much better. But, it is awesome. Congrats to you both and best wishes. I hope this helps.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis. It is our first, and we couldn't be more excited -- my wife's picking out strollers, and I'm shopping for a new car...

That's all good input. I'm also in Mass, so it's especially helpful.

Also good points about the timing. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is that I love the Mini, although it's my wife's primary car, every chance I get I jump behind the wheel. It's just a blast to drive, but with that being said, it's also a very harsh ride -- we have the S with the tight suspension and with our pot-hole riddled roads you feel every bump and gyration.

My only other thought was that I'd give her my car, a 2001 BMW Wagon, to drive for a while and I'd take the Mini, but in reality I drive a lot for work (I'm a sales person) and while I love the Mini I probably wouldn't be able to handle it as an every day car for much more than a couple of months. It's not a car you want to be logging a lot of highway miles in, but it is the perfect weekend/city car.

This is why I was debating waiting a while, just to delay departing with the Mini. But I'd be kicking myself come October if the same deals aren't out there for the XC-70 and I need to pay a lot more just because I delayed 3 months.

In a Utopian society if someone could say "you'll definitely get the same deal, or better, in October" I'd wait, so I guess I was hoping someone had some good insider info on that for us.

Thanks again.
    babycar,
    can you contact me via the message feature on this site? I'd like to get your feedback on the BMW wagon and why you are going with the XC70 vs getting another BMW wagon. I was going to look at the BMW 3-series wagon and the X3 this week and would like to get info from a current owner who drives a lot. thanks
    I apologize in advance for posting somewhat off topic, but I can't find how to reply directly to Fargodog.

In order to keep on topic, I went to the Volvo dealer today and found the following:

The current Lease special is now $10,000. This is what I was offered without even much haggling:

$41,260 MSRP (Premium and Climate Package)
    Lease Discount: $10,000
    Cap: $29,500
    Residual: $17,329
    Due at Signing: $1,790.59
    36 months
    12,000 miles per year
    Monthly Payment with tax: $475

I thought the dealer fees, etc are high. They want me to pay a $895 "Bank Fee" as well as $289 dealer fee, which seems out-of-line. Also the monthly is still a bit higher than I would like to see it. What's everyone else think?

Now, to answer Fargodog's question -- I've had my BMW for over 5 years and couldn't be happier with it. It has over 100,000 miles, still looks great, and I've never done anything outside of regular maintenance (haven't even done the clutch yet). I plan on keeping it till I have almost 200,000 on it, probably another 4 years. It's responsive, fun to drive, quiet on the highway and reliable. The 325's don't have the most horsepower, the fastest time from 0-60, or the best slalom time, but it's just does everything well enough to make it a great driving car.

I'm not getting one for my wife (although my original plan was to give her mine and get a Certified Pre-owned 5 series or newer 3 series wagon for myself) for a few reasons.

1. My wife is a true Cambridgian (from Cambridge, MA,for none locals) and feels that a BMW is too pretentious -- if she had her way we'd be getting a Volvo 240 with a Jerry sticker on the back
    2. We go to VT most weekends, and with the dog and baby and gear the 3-series is a little too small to fit everything

With that being said, if you don't need the interior space of the XC-70, the 3-series is a great car. I'm not as big of a fan of the X-3, it's about the same interior space and I'm just not a fan of the higher ride. The wagon drives just like a sports sedan, but I can fit my bike and skis in the back, and my dog no problem. The X-3 just doesn't have the same ride. Also Consumer Reports doesn't rate it as high -- not sure if it has anything to do with it being made in a different plant than the 3-series. The 3 is made in the German factory, the X-3 is made in the US factory.

Hope this helps. If you know how to reply to me directly, feel free -- sorry to the rest of the post for this slightly off-topic post.
  • rugger08rugger08 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me where the dealer is located and what the dealer name is? I'm looking for a deal like this.

Thanks
    rugger... This was at Garden State Volvo in Manasquan. If you want the name of dealer, please send me a private message.
  • jstringjstring Member Posts: 1
    looking to get everyone's $0.02 regarding the above deal which is good until the end of June. This was offered with absolutely no haggling! Are there any areas to save some $?

$45,604 MSRP (all 3 packages, willow green color)
    $30,900 CAP
    $15,050 residual
    $1610 due at signing (1st mo/reg/bank fee)
    48 months, 12,000 miles per year
    monthly payment $451 which includes tax

36 month deal offered as well with residual of $19,150 and slightly higher payment of $465

any thoughts? I'm in Fairfield County CT if that makes any difference. Thanks! I love this site!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi,

I was just told by a dealer that a new package is being delivered in June that packages everything in the Convenience, Climate and Premium packages for an MSRP of $40,920 -- including 17" wheels.

Has anyone else heard of this? They say that the lease deal is only $9,250 for this car, but with the lower overall cost you'd still be saving over $1,100.

I'm trying to figure out what the invoice is and whether or not the dealer hold-back of $364 is still the same. Car Man, or anyone else out there, can you help?

Thanks,
    That looks like a good deal jstring. Seems like everyone is getting a similar deal. Very simialt to what I got 2 weeks ago.

A couple things to think about...do you want to buy the car at the end of the lease? In that case I wouldn't worry too much about the monthly payments. Put as little as possible down, and make sure the FINAL cost (all the monthly payments, residual, etc) comes out as low as possible. If you just want to turn it in at the end, go for the low monthly payments with a high residual.

Good luck!

'm
    Volvo has some good sign and drive deals right now and you tend to do very well with these deals. May be worth looking at.

2007 VOLVO XC70 LEASE OFFER1
    2007 XC70 AWD
    "Sign and Drive"
    Lease for $499 per month for 24 months

With $0 Cash Due at Signing

No Security Deposit Required

Excludes Taxes and Registration Fees

Lease

Not all lessees will qualify for financing through Volvo Car Finance North America. Lease payments may vary, as retailer determines price. Residency restrictions may apply. For special lease terms, take new retail delivery from retailer stock between June 1, 2007 and July 9, 2007. Lessee is responsible for excess wear and mileage over 10,500 miles/year at $0.20 / mile. Offer available at participating retailers only, see participating retailer for qualifications and complete details. Car shown with optional equipment at additional cost.

* "Sign and Drive" offer requires $499 of lease bonus to be applied toward first month payment.
    Depending on your situation, the 24 month may be an OK deal. But I got a 36 month, $750 down (included all fees and 1st payment), $510 per month (includes tax), 15,000 miles a year. This was on a loaded car with all three packages, cross bars, sirius, air filter, ipod aux, etc. Many of the 24 month lease cars are bare bones.
  • rrhserrhse Member Posts: 4
    Hi there - this forum seems a great resource.
    I understand that there are some fairly aggressive leasing offers available to clear current model XC70s out of the showrooms.
    I'm looking for 21K/24 mos (preferably). What would be the residual and money factor currently?

I'm in NY, if that affects anything.

Thanks,

John
    The new package is the Adventure Package. It seems like this may be a very good deal. I had one dealer quote me the following:
    $40,290 MSRP
    $29,800 cap
    $20,180 residual
    $380 per month (including tax)
    36 months
    12,000 miles.

I'm just trying to figure out what the invoice is to see whether or not I'm getting a good deal. I've had prices anywhere from this at $380 per month to $446 per month.

Also, One dealer told me the invoice is $40,100, another told me it's $35,110 and another told me it's $34,220. Does anyone else have any information on the Adventure package and know what the invoice of this car really is? If it's this good of a deal I'll jump on it right away
  • rrhserrhse Member Posts: 4
    I've just been quoted an MSRP of $41,915 for the adventure package.
    A dealer in NJ.

John
  • jag_drivejag_drive Member Posts: 8
    Just got quoted the following for the Adventure package with booster seats in CT

MSRP: 46300
    Cap: 30205
    Residual: 19446
    Monthly Pmt: 431 w tax

Thoughts?
    The MSRP is definitely wrong. You can now see it on Volvo's site, the MSRP is 42,060 with Paint and destination.

I was quoted $29,810 for a sell price
    $380 per month with Tax
    12,000 per year
    36 month

The lease deal is $9k, not $10k -- this is by far the best deal I can find. It just may be too good to be true....
    That MSRP seems way high....do you have the Nav system or other expensive options?
    Hi Babycar...what was your down payment? What's the residual?
    Hey babycar,

Which dealer gave you that quote? thanks
    The high MSRP is because the bank the lease is through is taking into account the full value of the package, which is over $8k. This is good for just leasing by raising the residual, but is worse for those that want to purchase at the end of the lease.
    If you can get this deal, take it if you won't buy out at lease end! I tried to recreate the numbers you got, and I believe you had a typo in the MSRP...I would expect $42,090. Given your residual of 20,180, which is 50% of $42,090, which is much better than any other residual I have seen (normally 42%).
    I just leased an XC70 w/a MSRP of $43,150. My residual is 18,149. It was originally closer to 19,000, but I haggled them down to almost 18K. They were able to do that by RAISING the mileage to 15K a year. More mileage=more wear=lower residual. My monthly payments stayed the same, buy my residual went down. Since I will probably buy the car at the end of the lease, a low residual is good for me.

Here's the full deal I got about 2 weeks ago:

2007 XC70 with climate, convenience, and premium packages

MSRP: 43,150
    Cap: 31,250
    Residual: 18,149
    Down: 750 (includes 1st payment and all fees)
    Monthly payment: $510 (includes tax)
    Miles: 15000
    Hi,

Yes, I did have a typo on the MSRP, here are the correct numbers for the Adventure Edition:

MSRP=$42,090
    Sell Price = $29,645 (with $9k lease incentive)
    Residual = $20,147
    Term = 36 months
    Mileage = 12,000 per year
    Monthly payment = $380 (inclusive of tax)
    Up-front fees = $793 (1st payment, title registration unwaivable dealer fee)

Although I do plan on purchasing at the end of the lease, when I calculate out the payments multiplied by the residual value my total out-of-pocket with purchase after three years is only $34,240. Compared to the second lowest price of $34,555 with a $448 monthly payment this still works out to be a better deal -- not to mention that with a new addition to the family coming in the next couple of months you never know what will happen; although it will probably still make sense to buy it and sell it as one would think that there's still a higher resale value for the car than $20k for a three year old car whose MSRP is $42k.

With all of that being said, I only have a firm handshake and commitment of the deal, as I am traveling for the next two weeks, but have been assured by the dealer that they are putting aside the car for me when it arrives and that they will stick to their word. I'll let you all know whether or not this changes between now and the time I go to pick it up.
    Great deal Babycar! My total if I bought would be $36,749...about 2K higher. Although my MSRP is $1K more because of extra features. Also, the dealer threw in a 36 month maintenance package ($500) and free cross bars ($200). So it's roughly the same deal.

I don't think you could do much better!
    Can you tell me who the leasing is through and in what state? I have not been able to find anyone who has a redidual value that high and without a $895 bank fee as part of the upfront payment.

Also, it seems that many sales managers are leaving the cars with Adventure Packages at the docks until July, and trying to sell what is currently at their lots...so they might say that they don't come in until next month.