Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• mesazonemesazone Member Posts: 51
    Did everyone get their recall notice on the 2001 F250? I don't think it was limited to a specific cab setup.

I have the 01 F250 SC. The recall was about the front outboard belts. It said that when the belt is buckled in a slow manner, the red button wouldn't pop back out all the way indicating a complete catch. I haven't tested mine (I buckle too fast I guess.) I have the seats where the belt is in the seat instead of hanging from the ceiling (a mid-2001 change.) Maybe only these are affected?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    "Safety Recall 01S21 effects, among other vehicles, approximately 178,191 Super Duty F-250/550 trucks built at KTP (Kentucky) from 4/17/00 until 5/27/01 and at CAP (Mexico) from 5/16/00 until 6/19/01 and approximately 23,104 Excursions built at KTP from 4/17/00 until 10/2/00."

"Seat belt tongues that are not inserted into the buckle firmly may not latch properly. Owners will be notified by mail with letters sent between 7/25/01 and 7/27/01. "

"Drivers can help assure that the seat belt is buckled properly by firmly and rapidly pushing the tongue into the buckle and then wiggling it to confirm a solid latch. Drivers
    should also check visually to ensure that the seat belt buckle release button has returned to its full up position. The recall affects both the front driver's seat and outboard front passenger's seat."

The inspection procedure will involve the use of a special dealership tool developed to identify potentially defective buckles. Actual defect rate is believed to be less than 5%."

I've noticed mine opened up once in a while, but I've usually had a bunch of junk on seat (bench) next to me. Thought that I leaned going through a turn or something and pushed release on the seat belt somehow. Guess I'll be going in for service sooner than I thought.
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    This is similar to lilelmo's post's.

(By the way lilelmo do you use Akins?)

They have mine again! Actually I should say still.
    They have tightened the cab bolts twice... still pops.
    They have replaced spring isolators twice...still squeaks.
    When they "fixed" that they made the front end pop when turned to the right, they replaced the entire drag link set up, spindal to spindal. At least I got a free alignment.
    Then I tried to pick it up for the third time and the cab still pops.

About a year ago they fixed the clicking transfer case, this happens when you shift from drive to reverse. It took about 6 weeks for them to get the part (that reads lock-tite) that Ford recommended. It now has a strong vibration from 78 until 85 mph. I have asked them over and over to fix it but they keep telling me this is not a problem, its normal on our trucks. I have finally put my foot down and said it wasn't this way til you "fixed it", I will not accept it back until its fixed right. I told them this is there 4 th time and if I need to I will let them keep it. They know what I mean now. I even got a friendly call from the shop manager.

Anybody else have Ford to tell you this was normal?

The best part, if there is, is that Akins gives you a free loaner car. I've had a 2000 F150, 2000 Taurus, 2001 Ram 1500, currently driving 2001 Escape.
  • balsdonbalsdon Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could please help me out with a problem I am having? The problem is: I bought an '04 F-150 with the 5.4 engine. When I start the truck up in the morning it idles between 1250 - 1500 RPM's and doesn't settle down, to around 750 RPM's, for about 15 - 20 seconds. I took the truck back to the dealer, and they said that it is okay. But I have never owned a truck that did that before. They usually start up, and settle down right away. Does anyone know if this is right or wrong? Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

See ya,

Jim
  • allmans33allmans33 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone on this board had their leather steering wheel replaced yet? The leather tends to loosen over time.I own a f250 s/c v8 almost 24k truck is still awesome nothing but compliments when im getting out of the vehicle, I still love the truck and wondering now if i should go for an 02 lariet..Mileage is about approx 13 city 15 hwy
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    That a few have had their steering wheels replaced because of the leather, mine loosens up on the back side, lower portion, but I can live with it, I'm afraid to take it in for a replacement of them breaking something that's not broke. I read in the paper last night that Schmitt Bros. Ford in Saukville, Wi. won the highest service award for the Chicago Marketing Region for April,May & June. I tell you that I have received nothing but the worse service from these guys and then they reward them, you get to thinking how lousy their competition must be. Got 23K on my 2k SD, only complaints so far has been the popping and the front springs and a clicking noise by the rear driver's side door which the dealer caused more headaches and the noise is still there. I really like the Truck, but the service really %#$@ from ford.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Good to see you again.. Is there any chance for you to go to a different Ford service dept? I've found that they are not all equal. That doesn't make it 'ok' but just an observation..
    I'm going to try a differant one, will never go back to the one I bought it from, I have decided that already. I'm trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty for peace of mind or if maybe a new truck is in the future. My wife & I have driven a number of new trucks, the ride and the quality of the interior haven't come close to the SD. We test driven the new Avalanche, rides good, has get up & go, but I expect the people that buy those will never really lay that devider down. Over the weekend I was holding dirt and rocks, I couldn't see those those in an AV. Drove a 2500 & 1500 HD crew cab, the 2500 seemed like something was holding it back, it had the 6.0 in it but it just didn't drive right, for 37,000 the interior seemed real cheap, plus I can get along with buckets of gm, the arm rest are integrated in the seat, unlike fords which are on the outside of the seat, on the gm you lose 4 inches, and none of them have the room of the SD. I doubt if the new dodge will compare either but we will test drive that too before deciding.
    Gordie Bouche Ford in West Bend, WI. is having a sale on SD at INVOICE. I saw they had CC and EXt. Cabs with PSD, these are 2002 models. Was very tempting.
  • sarasmithsarasmith Member Posts: 1
    With only 6K miles on it, the transmission in our 2001 F250 SD Power stroke completely failed. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Ford is sending a new one -- we've been waiting fourteen days now. This isn't the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
  • rdupre1rdupre1 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to here that happened with only 6K miles. I was wondering what Ford had to say
    about that?? I have a 2001 also, but only have 600 miles on it right now. If I paid this much
    for a truck and this happens to me I will not be a happy camper. And in fact, you should
    somehow be compensated by Ford for your troubles. Good Luck.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Yikes. You've got at least two of us concerned. Mine has 13K. Hopefully your's is premature failure and not something we can all look forward too. Agreed, especially for the money paid...... Please keep us posted.
  • bratintxbratintx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 f150 standard. when I go into first gear from a dead stop I have to jam it in gear; as well as into reverse. I have it in the shop twice for this same problem can anyone help please. thanks
    With my 89' Ranger (5sp), I noticed that from a dead stop it was difficult to get into reverse. If I shifted to 1st or 2nd and then go to reverse it would smoothly go every time.. Something about shifting into another gear first lined up the synchros better for the shift into reverse..

With my 00' F250 Superduty (5sp), I hardly ever use 1st anyway because its really a creeper gear meant to get heavy loads moving. However, if I want to shift into 1st or R from a dead stop, I can simply put it into 2nd, then goto 1st or R and it works every time.. It's just a habit I do everytime before shifting into R to shift into 2nd and then goto R.

I think the tranny in the F150 is different from the Superduty, so I'm not sure if my experience is relavent to your issue or not. But I thought I'd share it anyway.. Have you tried this method?
  • whittinjwhittinj Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with "ghost wipers" on a '99 F-150? These seem to turn on by themselves as you drive without any prior warning. The only way to stop 'em is to manually turn the wipers on & off. Then they stop! Any recall or awareness notice? It gets very frustrating while sitting in traffic.
  • bobsquatchbobsquatch Member Posts: 136
    My wife drives a 99 explorer that had the same problem and also a couple of the lights in the steering wheel cruise control buttons were out and the dashboard instrument lights would flicker. Took it in under warranty and they replaced a switch and a few other things and all went away for about six months. Now the flickering is comming back.
  • harleexlharleexl Member Posts: 1
    2001 F-150 ext cab 4.2L.
    I have had the truck to the dealer 4 times. First time light was not on, but the night I brought it home the engine bounced rpm's between 2000 and 500ish then stalled. after the first few days it did this again on several occasions, stalling a few more times but sometimes pulling out of the problem ok. The fix as ststed on the work invoice..."remove and re-install cam-synchronizer 180deg at proper timing.

After this was corrected, the light has not stayed off for more than 30 miles out of the dealership yet it runs fine. Since the first fix, they have replaced the PCM and cam stator assy. Still showing light since this service on Aug 29. I have not yet sheduled a new appt. but I will be taking it back when I have the time.

Any comments on a cause, I'm sure the dealer service need a clue.
  • dond3dond3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 26k miles and use the same fuel (regular) since new. Now I notice that the engine pings on hilly drives such as rt 92 heading to Half Moon Bay. I also notice what at first I thought was torsion bar creak or catalyst expansion noises but now believe may be backfire when the engine is cold...any feedback would be much appreciated...
  • spillyspilly Member Posts: 1
    i have 86 k on my 97 f 150 the turn signals will usually be alright on cold start up but if i make a stop and restart suddenly no signals.ive changed the battery and alternator and the voltage is textbook ie about 14.7 which used to be right (fords take a little higher voltage)there no relay for nthe turn signals that i know of.
    its a little maddening grrrrrr help please
  • talbot_matttalbot_matt Member Posts: 1
    I am tring to take off my headlight fixture on my 95 f-150 truck. There are 3 retaining clips that hold it on. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to taking it off or do I have to purchase a special tool to do this.

thanks for any help

matt
  • keith944tkeith944t Member Posts: 3
    I was hoping soemone might tell me a link to a site where I can learn more of the specifics of older (1995) F150 4x4's.

Things like option codes, HP ratings, towing capabilities etc.

Also, links to performance mods and accesorizing.

Thanks,
    Keith
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Try the following:

http://www.f150online.com

http://www.F150world.com

They both have forums sections where you can ask

• bpetbpet Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2000 F-250 SD lariet that has the single disc CD player in in the radio. When I start my truck the radio comes on to a default volume setting no matter where the volume was set to when I turned the truck off. I would like to know if anyone knows how to change this default setting. I asked at the dealer and and none of the service people knew anything about it.
    If your below a certain volume ( 0 to 3 bars on the volume scale), when you shut off the truck, it will turn on at the same volume you turned it off. If your above that volume when you turn the truck off, then it will turn on at 3.

There is no setting to disable this feature..
  • vcorsvcors Member Posts: 1
    I RESCENTLY ORDERED MY FORD F-150 LARIAT AND RECEIVED IT IN JAN. 2001. AT 700 MILES, THE TRANSMISSION BLEW. FORD REPLACED IT AT NO COST TO ME.SINCE THAT TIME THE IDLE AND SHIFT PATTERNS HAVE BEEN VERY ROUGH AND UNPREDICTABLE.
    LAST WEEK, I WAS IN A HEAD-ON COLLISION AND WAS SENT INTO A TELEPHONE POLE AT APPROX 25 MPH.WITH THE COMBINATION OF RECALLED SEATBELTS AND THE FACT THAT THE AIRBAGS DID NOT DEPLOY, MY WIFE AND I WERE INJURED, BUT LUCKY TO BE ALIVE.
    I CONTACTED FORD TO FIND OUT WHY MY $31,000.00 TRUCK, WHICH I BOUGHT FOR IT'S SAFETY RATINGS, IN MY OPINION, DID NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY.
    FORD TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD BRING THE AIRBAG SENSORS TO A FORD DEALER AND, AT MY EXPENSE, WILL TEST THE SENSORS AND TELL ME IF THEY ARE RESPONDING PROPERLY.WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD SAY? NO, THEY DIDN'T WORK CORRECTLY,PLEASE SUE US?

I'VE OWNED FORD TRUCKS FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS, BUT I WILL NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN.
  • leroybkrleroybkr Member Posts: 17
    Have a 99 F350 V10 SRW Auto with 65,000 miles. The exhaust heat (I guess) caused the two small diameter hoses connected to the EGR control valve to disintegrate and pieces of the hose jammed the control valve. It cost $300+ and was not covered under the Warranty Direct Policy which excludes emission components. The valve is located above the driver side head.
  • redfordredford Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 99 F-150 with 57k. Few problems, but nothing that ever left me sranded. Ive had the driveshaft housing replaced at about 20k. The speedometer head and idle sensor was replaced at 55k. The thing that never feels right, is the alignment. It has pulled to the right, since the first day I had it. Other than that, not much else
    You may want to check with Ford, I am not sure but I think they are required to cover some emission items under warranty for 100,000 miles.
    Good Luck...
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    After several years of continuous problems with my '97 F-150 ext. cab I finally reached my limit with my latest engine problem. Coolant leak from the timing chain cover (AGAIN!) Ford refused to admit there was a problem with the engine, and when I finally pointed out the leak to the dealer, they agreed and charged me $65.00 for troubleshooting! Needless to say the $31,000 SCREW
    I was planning on getting this year has turned into a Tundra (forgive me guy's but I'm way to PO'd at Ford).
  • searay88searay88 Member Posts: 4
    Bot truck in early '96. Dealer put 4.10 gears 'cause it wouldn't pull my 8000 lb bote. Werks great now. 16 mpg city, 20+ hwy if I keep it under 65. 8-12 mpg towing. Usually get better mpg in hills. Over Donner Pass-8,000 ft- gets better mpg than flat hwy. Weird. Piston slap started at 14k miles. No worse at 90k. Guess it's not a problem. Tranny shifts good as now. Best truck ever. Too bad Fords CEO is a green weenie and is selling Ford down the Eco-nut river. Hope the Nissan full size has a diesel option.
  • searay88searay88 Member Posts: 4
    From WND, 10/18/01:

Ford recently gave the Audubon Society five million dollars. Audubon and The Nature Conservancy, funded the infamous "Wildlands Project" promoted by Earth First! founder Dave Foreman, and Dr. Reed F. Noss. This plan seeks to convert "at least half" of the lower 48 states to "core wilderness areas" which are off-limits to humans, and surround those areas with "buffer zones" managed by government for "conservation" objectives.

This plan, consistent with the unratified Convention on Biological Diversity, became a high priority for the Clinton-Gore administration's Ecosystem Management Policy. These policies have shut down logging, mining and ranching operations across the west, and continue to threaten the livelihood of farmers and rural people across the country.

Rural people are among Ford's strongest and, heretofore, most loyal customers. Young Bill has completely ignored this customer base and, instead, turned to his Ivy-League, soccer-mom, SUV-driving environmentalist buddies for advice. He is betting that they outnumber and can outspend the working-class, pick-up-driving common folks. The jury is still out.

My question: Where are we going to live and grow our food when the greens take our land from us?
    You will just have to fly or walk to your home and work. Seriously though, these people are trying to save the planet. HEY... IT'S MY PLANET TOO!!! Just like everything else though, a balance is reached between the pocket mulching, bunny hugging all 4X4's are bad weenies and the Jerk that trespasses on private property, blazes new trails and leaves his garbage where it falls. You hit the biggest problem on the head though is the financial backing these organizations get from ignorant people who send money to any faceless entity that says save the planet. We are simply out cashed.
  • frobeyfrobey Member Posts: 17
    Ummm, this is way off topic for pickup truck problems but since I suppose I would be considered an "eco-nut" I had to speak up.

I do a lot of volunteer work with both Audubon and Nature Conservancy and have never seen them "take" anyone's land. If TNC determines that a particular piece of property has something that is worth preserving then TNC will work with landowners to either buy their land at full market value or have a conservation easement put on the land which in return for a tax break the owner agrees to some level of non-development, the more strict the easement the higher the tax break. Logging, farming, and even house building are allowed under an easement depending on how it is written.

Wilderness areas does not mean that it's off-limits to humans just off-limits to motorized vehicles/equipment. That means you park your pickup and walk in (and leave the chain saw in the cab :) We need places like this where you can get away from the ordinary grind and just hang out in nature.

It's probably better to take this topic off the board and not waste bandwidth of folks that want to know about problems with their pickups. If you want to flame/slam me you're welcome to blast me an email at fjr69@hotmail.com

As far as a pickup problem my 2001 F350 has a strange problem with cruise control. When I'm going up/down a hill you can feel the truck speed up/slow down. It's especially noticeable going down hill. If it's a long enough hill it almost makes ya sick it's so jerky. I took it in to the Ford dealer where they replaced a brake spring that had broken which fixed the problem I had with it just shutting off after hitting a bump but that didn't fix this problem.

Frank
    Gas or diesel and is it a manual or an auto?
  • utopiautopia Member Posts: 24
    I bought a 2001 F-150 XLT, supercab in March 2001 - have 6800 miles on it. I love the truck - NO problems, & actually it's the best riding vehicle I've ever had - car or truck. Unfortunately, we need a "family" vehicle as our 16 yr. old son gripes about the room in the backseat for longer trips. So...we paid a little over $22,000 for it & the best I've been quoted yet on trade-in is $17,300!!! CarMax quoted $16,100!!! These quotes are waaaayyyyy off KBB & Edmunds trade-in values, so am just trying to figure out if we're being low-balled or if the 0% int. being offered on new trucks is killing resale of "very slightly" used. Any ideas or comments? Thanks...
    Interesting situation.. After I think about it some what your seeing might actually make sense..

Just playing around with numbers..
    Customer is looking to buy a truck. Their choices are a used truck that the dealer is selling for around 18,300 (figure 1k dealer markup for profit). But the 0% and low interest rates don't apply to that truck.. Payment for 3 years @ 7% $565

Or they can buy a brand new 2002 truck for 22k with 0% interest for 3 years, payments: $611

Will people buy the used truck, or for $50 more a month buy the brand new one? To really start to even things up, what would it cost to add an extra year of warranty to the used truck?
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Go to 60 months @00 and you have 360 a month for new compared to probably 400+ for used. It's a no-brainer right now to buy new which makes ANYTHING used WEAK!!!
    It's my understanding that the 0% only applied to the 36month, and the 48 and 60 months had something like 2.9% interest, which is still very low.
  • engine12engine12 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Rob,
    owned a 1991 Dodge Dakota and went through almost the same kind of situation,I hope you were able to resolve your problems,I have felt your kind of pain!!!!I have owned a TOYOTA since i dumped that P.O.S. Dodge.
  • bmcbride2bmcbride2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a F-150 setting in my yard with a blown motor in it.
    The ford dealer said that the cam bearings are bad and that the motor could not be repaired. I would need a new motor. come to find out ford had a recall on the trucks but my ford was not covered
    under the recall because it was not made in the same plant as the recall was on.
    Water from the cooling system has leak threw the wall and on to the lower cam in turn freez up the motor after a while. This is known to Ford and motors have been replace in most of the trucks.
    Can any one tell me what I can do before I send it back to the bank and my credit will no longer be any good. I need help please.
  • berry113berry113 Member Posts: 13
    We have a 1997 F150 which is rusting on the inside bottom of the 3rd door and the inside of the passenger door. Dealer said it would have to rust through in order for Ford to pay for anything. Has anyone had similar problems? Any fix from the dealer? This is the first new truck/car we have owned that has started to rust in just 4 years of ownership. Seems extreme to me.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Seriously, wouldn't having a short block installed be better than ruining your credit?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Why not check out the salvage yards for a motor??? Those around here offer at least a short warranty, basically they guarantee that the motor will work when you install it. Others actually offer a warranty with time/mileage just like the major rebuilders. I don't know which motor you have in your truck or how much a short block vs. salvage yard motor would cost, but it seems to me a 97 F-150 is definitely worth fixing!!! Take it from someone who sees the results of repo's and what they can do to your financial future, don't do it! If you let the bank have the truck, then you lose control over how much the truck is sold for and therefore how much you will owe the bank after the truck is sold. At least if you sell it, you can attempt to get as much as possible whereas the bank may let it go at the first offer they get. Also, if you sell/let the bank have the truck, do you have another vehicle? If you do, maybe you should sell the truck. If not, it will cost you just as much, or more, to go buy a "beater" as it will to fix the truck. I don't know about you, but if I had the choice of driving a 97 F-150 or a "beater" for the same money, guess which I would choose.

I have had similar experiences with factory recalls. I used to own a 1987 GMC truck. I didn't buy it new, but I bought it from the local dealer in 87 with only 4,000 miles on it. I always garage my vehicles and keep them waxed, the paint started coming off before the truck was two years old. If you remember, GM did a recall. Guess what, mine wasn't part of it. The recall specified a certain date, which was the build date for the trucks at the beginning of the recall period. My truck, being a very late 87 model, was built after that beginning build date. I was told, by the dealers in the area, that since my truck was the old body style, mine wasn't included. Factories do this all the time, for the cost of a paint job, they could have kept me as a loyal customer. Instead, now I own all Fords and would NEVER consider a GM product.
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    It seems manufacturers are quite short sighted when it comes to keeping customers happy and loyal. They will, as my Dad used to say, "Gag on a gnat and swallow a camel." I think Walmart has the right idea. Satisfy the customer if there is a problem, even if it costs at the time, and that act will return manyfold the profit from a happy repeat customer. Auto manufacturers don't look at it that way, however.

I agree with mullins87. Don't let your credit be ruined because of a blown engine and lose an otherwise good truck to boot. If you can't do the work yourself and know a good independent mechanic see what they can do for you. Some engine rebuilders will provide you a rebuilt and do the install themselves. You didn't say what engine you have, but if it has inherent problems I would also consider changing to another that doesn't.
  • dhintzddhintzd Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a 99 F250 SD with the turbo diesel engine. When I purchased the truck, I asked the previous owner if it was keyless entry, since all he had was one key. He mentioned that he never did have a transmitter (he bought the truck used as well). The truck has power windows and door locks. My question is, is there a way to determine if the truck is actually a keyless entry truck? If there is a way, and it does turn out that it should have a remote transmitter for door locks and such, can I order another from the dealer, or am I S.O.L.? Thanks bunches.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    You can order the remote from your dealer. They will probably need the VIN or some other ID number. I can't help you with how to determine if it is a "keyless" truck. Mine has power windows and locks, but the keyless is not mentioned on the window sticker.
    I think I know how you can determine if you have keyless entry or not..

How the key fob's are programmed is:
    a. have all of the fob's that you want to program with you (up to 4)

b. put the key in the ignition
    c. cycle it 6 (or 8) times from the off to the run, back to off position. Do this within 10 seconds.
    The door locks will lock/unlock to indicate that it's in 'program' mode.
    Leave the key in the run position.
    d. press a button each of the fobs.
    e. turn the key to the 'off' position. programming is complete..

My guess is that if you have keyless, you'll know it at step c. when the locks cycle.. in your case you don't have any fob's to program..

I really like this programming feature because I use the same fob for my superduty and escape.
  • dhintzddhintzd Member Posts: 12
    I am sure that this is a stupid question, but what are you referring to as "fob's"

thanks
    Sorry, fob is what is referred to as the little remote control that attaches to the keychain.
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    It seems to come on when ever it wants. I start the truck and it comes on, then sometimes when I close the door it turns off or stays on. I cant drive with my 3rd Brake light on every second. And when I turn my truck of, It sometimes remain on. This will drain my battery. This is a problem with my passenger door. Does anyone have suggestions? Anyone had this problem? Please help! Truck is a 1998 F150 XL Flare.
This discussion has been closed.