Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    I have the same issue with my 2002 TB LT. But I have not had it looked at yet only because it's not causing any major malfunctions other than the whinny noise. For all the practical reasons I don't believe it's the Power Steering Pump.
    If the PS pump was malfunctioning, wouldn't the pump make that same whinnig noise when turning the wheels?
    Mine does not. Which leads me to believe that it is something else.

Keep in touch if you hear of a resolution.
  • biglinkbiglink Member Posts: 13
    my 03tb ext cat converter just went out on me tonight. I had just packed up the family and was headed out of town when I started lossing power it felt like the tanny was slipping after checking under the hood I saw something glowing orange. I had to stop every 5min and let the car cool for 5 min but I finally made it home and with a flash light I saw that the glowin was coming from the 02 sensor. I'm glad to hear that that is still covered since I have 58K.
  • r13570r13570 Member Posts: 4
    02 T/B tail light assembly has 3 bulbs on the circuit board:
    Top parking/brake light
    Middle - blinker light
    Bottom - back up light
    Question can we buy a circuit board in which the middle bulb also comes on as a parking light? Of course it must be able to plug into stock wiring harness.
    Modified tail light assembly if available:
    Top parking/brake light
    Middle – parking/blinker light
    Bottom - back up light
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    I have also experienced the "mysterious squeaky noise". Mine was a faint clattering, almost like I was dragging a light chain, that I could hear with the Pass. window down. Drove me nuts, sounded like it was coming from right front tire when I was in the cab, and when I was out of the vehicle and would have people drive past me, I could never hear it. I work in the parts dept. for a Chevy dealer, so I asked some of the techs what they thought, and one of them suggested a grease kit for my steering shaft. Sounds crazy, but the factory grease in Chevy's steering shaft eventually packs out, and the vibration cannot be felt, but the sound it makes can resonate through your steering rack and sound like your front end is gonna fall off. Tried it, and it worked like a charm.
  • corey4879corey4879 Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem with my 03 TrailBlazer. I can let it warm up to it's normal temp and then can't make it down the street without the reduced engine power light coming on. This morning I drove the kids to school and had to pull over 12 times before making it the 5 miles down the street. This is a serious safety concern becuase it has come on while crossing a busy intersection and even going onto the on ramp of the highway. THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN COLD WEATHER! Usually below 45, other than that it works fine. I've heard that this could be the battery or even a ground wire, but that doesn't explain why this only happens in cold weather. The dealership seems to be clueless to this and I refuse to go up there and spend anymore money for them to shrug their shoulders. I was hoping someone might have an answer!
    Corey4879@gmail.com
  • claymclaym Member Posts: 4
    I have an '05 with the same problem. The car has to be driven a few miles before the A/C starts cooling. It is still in warranty but we haven't yet taken it in to be checked out. This should not be a problem on a vehicle. The A/C should cool at idle. Let me know if anyone knows a solution.
  • claymclaym Member Posts: 4
    I have an '05 that has developed a mildew type odor. It has definetly lost that new car smell. Anyway, this has developed over the last several months. I have checked all the carpet and cannot find any wetness or anything to suggest this odor. It dissapates after the air circulates a period of time.
    Anyone experience this problem? Any ideas on a cause?
  • stevie07stevie07 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 trailblazer,the compass is stuck in the south position on my rear view mirror.The temperature display works okay.Where is the compass located,and is it something I can fix myself?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    You need to get them to replace the fan clutch before it goes out of warranty. A new design was released in May 2005. The old ones typically do not move enough air through the AC condenser coil and result is poor or no AC cooling in first 3-4 min after a start, and/or poor AC cooling at idle, symptoms can vary. The dealer did various reprograms as per GM bulletins in their attempts to fix this problem with zero results, and I put up with this garbage for 3 1/2 years until GM figured out the fix, but by that time I was out of warranty. After I replaced the clutch on my 2002 at my own expense, the AC works great in 100° summer heat and starts blowing cold soon after startup. Good Luck!
  • henrybthenrybt Member Posts: 1
    My '02 TB has about 88k. All of a sudden the other day while driving, it started knocking at a high frequency during acceleration. It sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of bike (except much louder). When I checked the oil, it was nearly empty. I drained what was left and added new oil, and topped off the coolant. The problem still occurs during acceleration. After some research, I thought it might be the "piston slap" that I've heard a lot about, but now I'm not so sure. The fact that almost all of the oil was burned up makes me think it might be (piston slap), though. Since it was so low on oil, now I'm nervous that the engine might be shot completely. If it is, it's due to my idiocy, I guess. Any thoughts or ideas?
  • bruisebruise Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 TB with 64k. Shortly before XMAS on a cold morning (below freezing), I started the vehicle and shut the door but a dash message that that my Drivers Door Was Not Closed and the interior lights remained on. Once the temperature rose and I started up the car -- no problem. Over the next few days it was warm in the morning and no problems. As soon as it wa cold again, I got the same message. I took it to my dealership and they said that I needed new door locks but they had to order them. I took the vehicle home and on the next cold morning, the airbag inoperative light came on along with the red light warning on the ONSTAR system. I drove my other vehicle and started the TB again after it warmed up and I didn't have any warning lights. In my mind, the problem is related to the weather, wet wiring, wet circuit, something sticking, etc.

I'm not a mechanic but I passed my thoughts along to the dealership again. When I went to check on the vehicle they said that the the TB wouldn't start and they checked the battery and it was dead. To make a long story short, I've spent over $600 on the TB-- new ignition switch because they said that is what usually causes the airbag problem plus they replaced the driver side door lock assembly and installed a new battery but I the drivers door message still appears. I've informed my garage that we will be sitting down with the ownership to discuss this once it is said and done.

Does anyone out there have any ideas because the mechanics seem to be clueless? I asked them if they checked the wiring but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet. Thanks.
    I'm in the same boat. It's been going on for 2 years now and they don't have a clue. My check engine light and reduce engine power light both come on only in cold weather. Spring, Summer, and fall I have no problems, but as soon as the temp drops below 45 it starts acting up. It doesn't matter if I let the truck warm up or not it will still die on me. Yesterday morning after letting it warm up for 15 minutes (it reached normal operating temp) I tried to take the kids to school. Died twice in the driveway, three times before making it out of my neighborhood, twice on the way to the school, in the school parking lot, and twice when I got closer to my work. This is about a 15 minute trip usually...but it took me over half an hour becuase I have to pull over and restart the truck in order to try it again without the reduced engine power light. It's nothing short of pissing me off and will never ever buy another Chevy truck. It looks nice, but this is rediculous and the tech/customer service is horrible. Please let me know what you find out about your truck because the dealers are clueless.
    Corey4879@gmail.com
  • murrr77murrr77 Member Posts: 30
    The bottom cushion of the driver's seat in my 2002 LTZ won't heat (the back works fine, as well as the passenger seat). Any suggestions?
  • michaelcozensmichaelcozens Member Posts: 23
    Other than the issue that this happens when cold-it sounds like a cataltic converter/o2 sensor issue. I had both go and lost power-it heated up also the longer I drove.
    I had another car wherne the converter was gone and it drove for awile before we discovered it was bad. Just an idea for you to have checked! Good Luck.
  • michaelcozensmichaelcozens Member Posts: 23
    I had this happen on an Olds Minivan- there is a procedure in the manual to reset the compass-I think it is as simple as going in a big parking lot and driving in a circle until the compass resets itself! Hope this is still true for you!
  • eddie64eddie64 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 03 tb ext the service 4wd comes on when i checked the fuse box i see the fuse is blown after replacing the fuse the light goes off but after a day or 2 blows the fuse again and it doesn go into 4wdlo did anyone had this problem before thanks
  • ktrue1208ktrue1208 Member Posts: 1
    What a sad state of affairs ... :cry: ... The Trailblazer is the best car I have ever owned ... BUT ... this problem pops up EVERY YEAR when the weather gets cold ... :mad: ... I have learned to drive with it myself but fear most for my family!! Especial concerns are for pulling into traffic!! It does not matter if you warm the car up or not. It is going to happen for the first few miles you go on your trip. Whenever you try to poke it to accelerate or let off of the gas to slow down the lights pop on. Even when set on cruise if the car deaccelerates due to going down hill. Have to turn off the engine and restart the car to reset everything ... "Service Engine Soon" light stays on but the "Reduced Engine Power" resets and car works until the next "event" ... Are there any known fixes? :confuse:
  • ikonontopikonontop Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 Tblazer as well, and it's making the same whining noise during accelerating, I have also heard another making the same noise, and it was newer than mine. Reluctantly I also have an appointment to take it in and see what the problem is.
  • briankruszebriankrusze Member Posts: 10
    Some of my dash lights don't light up all the time... at this point right now it's the temp control for the a/c-heat, but when I tap on it they come on. Does anyone know how to take apart the dash console? Also the info button on the bottom left does not light up, I think it did before but I was told it never did... Does It?
    Thanks
  • sabrefansabrefan Member Posts: 2
    there probably is a break in one of the element lines. i have the same problem and found a website that tell you how to fix it in a range rover. I don't know if this is at all similar, but gives you a description of what may be the problem.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/seats/seatheat4.html
  • bruisebruise Member Posts: 2
    Well after almost three months of dealing with this my dealership seemed to get it right by replacing the body control module (BCM). All of the other parts that were installed weren't necessary apparently and they are refunding me for the extraneous parts.
  • ikonontopikonontop Member Posts: 2
    I took my 05 Trailblazer to the local Dealership to trouble shoot the whining sound coming from under the hood, and it was a worn out idler pulley making the annoying sound, it was relatively inexpensive to repair at $109 parts and labor. I realize that is a $15 part, and simple to replace but since I already owed them $80 just for looking at it, it made since to pay out another $29 to just go ahead and fix the problem, the waived the diagnostic fee with the repair.
  • sader2004sader2004 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 TB LTZ 2WD that I purchased new. I am at 49100 now and have some pretty big problems. When I was under warranty, I had my entire Onstar system replaced (after 4 MONTHS!@#$) and the weather strips replaced numerous times. Otherwise everything else was just fine and dandy except for a dew rattles. Now that I am out of warranty, I have had quite a few problems. HVAC only works once every full moon(fan not blowing). Weather strips still coming loose and are frayed. When I brake sometimes, the back end seems to shudder just before I come to a stop. Memory seats and mirrors don't work. The most annoying and inconvenient problem is that the key is jammed in the ignition and won't come out after repeated attempts. I have to drive around for a few minutes and then attempt to get it out again. If anyone has the same problems or advice please reply.
  • biglinkbiglink Member Posts: 13
    I have just about 50K miles and I waiting for a response from GM it has been a week now and they keep saying that they can't get a hold of the service manager for the local dealership. Just before this happened the catalytic converter went out when I got it back the check engine light came on and it was the cracked tank. I have had no major problems before and this is the third Trailblazer that I have purchased.
    I just had the same problem with the key not coming out of the ignition. Everything was fine the night before, but when I made it to work in the morning I couldn't get the damn key out of the ignition. The button that you push to enable the shifter to switch gears would not lock into place and the shifter was freely moveable. After taking the whole thing apart I found the mechanism on the bottom (I think it's called a cage) was not springing back up to engage the lock. After close inspection I noticed that the shifter was slightly bent (less than 5 degrees) but it was enough pressure to keep the lock in the down position. I just had to bend it back into place instead of paying the $130 for a new shifter. I don't know how it happened or if this is similar to your problem or not but I thought I would through it out there.
  • cablegirlcablegirl Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 03 LTZ Trailblazer, and I am happy with it so far, however, there is a clunking noise underneath the vehicle when coming to a complete stop or when making a right or left turn. I have had it into the dealer 3 times and everytime they tell me that it has something with the driveline and that GM says not to fix it because it won't make a difference. I think that I am just being fed a line...anyone have any suggestions??? Please Help!!!
  • sader2004sader2004 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem and more, (see my review"Big Problems". The day I posted that review another one popped up, my parking brake jammed!@#% I had it towed to the dealer and its still sitting there right now. I got the same typical GM bs about the clunking noise. I am tired of all this 1m looking to the opposite of what you did: get rid of it
  • bluechevy1bluechevy1 Member Posts: 10
    Well, I finally did it.. Purchased an 04 Trailblazer LT 4x4 with 29k miles earlier this week. Surprisingly, the same night I noticed the panel, floor, defrost switch was messed up. Put it on Defrost, and it blows out the floor instead. Turn the dial to floor and it blows air thru the vents. Luckily, its still under 3/36K warranty, so the local dealership will repair at no charge. Also getting the clunk noise from the front when going over bumps. Sounds like a squeaking noise almost. Dealership has ordered new stabilizer links and will replace when the parts arrive. And getting a high pitched whistle when driving at interstate speeds of about 70 MPH. Sounds to be coming from the driver side windshield area??? The dealer is bringing in a Tech to see if they can locate the problem. It noise sounds like a window is barely open. But I know that it isn't. I want to get anything thats wrong replaced before the 3/36 goes out in July. Having said that, can anyone recommend a good extended warranty that is reasonable? My local GM dealer has a really good service department so I want to keep going there. With all the small problems I've had so far, I know this could have turned into a lot of $$$ if I had to come up with the repair cost myself. But I want to choose a warranty that GM will honor.. I typically drive 15-17k a year. Any ideas???
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    This is where a lot of us have bought ours at discount:
    http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

I think the GMPP is the best choice. I have it on both our 02 TB and my 04 Grand Am. Never had a problem using it.
  • bluechevy1bluechevy1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks burdawg. I received the Major Guard quote of $1,340 no deductible (no sales tax since I'm outta state) for 36 mos/45k warranty for my Trailblazer. Price is good thru Oct 07. Best a local dealer could do was $1,415.78 or ($1,290 + sales tax. Sales tax here is about 9.75%). Difference of about $76 between the two.. Exact same warranty. I kinda hate to get the warranty thru the PA dealer, since my local dealer will be doing all the warranty repair work etc.. Will it benefit my local dealership if I buy the warranty thru them? What do ya think?
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    I know this question doesn't quite fit the category, but I read somewhere that GM was going to discontinue the TB in the near future. Has anyone heard this? I'm thinking of buying one. Thanks.
    Dave
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you tried 2007 GMC Envoy/Chevy TrailBlazer?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • softtail3softtail3 Member Posts: 3
    What year is your TB? Mine is an 04 and it slides out. There isn't a "slideout" but the whole thing slides. KWIM?
  • 1m4g31m4g3 Member Posts: 1
    i had my TB for 1 1/2 years and the battery died so i replaced it with another my friend gave me,i didnt think it was meant for my car and so a week went by and i lost alot of power after work so i replaced the battery with another at walmart and it ran fine for about 5min,it has no power,when your flooring the gas u can hear the intake roar but no power and the SES light is on,could this had happen cuz the battery was not the rite one or cuz i live close to work and keep the car on below 1/4 of a tank of gas???i was told it was my fuel pump

PLZ HELP!!!!!!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I need to change the coolant on my 02 TB. Can anyone tell me where the block drain plug or plugs is?
  • amw96ramw96r Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 02 XLT. The rear passenger side window has come off track. The estimate I got about about $270 to replace the cable that hold the window on track. Has anyone replaced this themselves?
  • chevygirlseptchevygirlsept Member Posts: 9
    I was advised by my chevy dealer service repairman, that I needed a new thermostat housing unit becuase the computer was mis-reading my water temperature and that the valvues were staying open. Because of this I was using way more gas than necessary, due to the malfunction. I understand the concept here and am ready to replace the whole unit as suggested. They quoted me a pric eof $130. Is this right? And do I really need to relplac ethe whole housing unit? Why not just the thermostat? I know dealerships and how they encourage customers to spend, spend, spend. I am loyal to my dealership and us ethem for many service necessities but sometimes I wonder...especially about this dilemma.

Any comments or advice from the chevy TB peanut gallery?

thanks!

MMM from Stuart Fla
  • ajscott19ajscott19 Member Posts: 6
    My trailblazer had the same high pitched whistling noise and I had it in the shop three times before taking it to another dealership and the noise was due to a bad idler pulley. If you are still having the same noise I would ask them to look into that.
  • ajscott19ajscott19 Member Posts: 6
    The whining noise was due to a bad idler pulley, as soon as it was replaced the noise was gone. Not sure if yours is still making a noise, but wanted to let you know just incase.
  • brownabrowna Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Trailblazer with less than 15500 miles on it and I have taken it to the dealer this will make the 4th time for the engine light coming on. The last time it actually stopped on me. They said that it was the fuel filter system the last three times but they haven't been able to duplicate the vehicle cutting off. Has anyone else had this type of problem?
  • sharon68sharon68 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2 05 trailblazers and I have been experiencing all similar problems with both vehicles. The ignition pulley (whining noise) has gone on both. I have had the cluster replaces as my odometer was not reading correctly. The car would be in park and it said that I was going 70mph. The fuel light and alarm does not work after replacing the cluster and yesterday, the fan does not work pass #5. I am extremely frustrated with this vehicle and have let GM know this as well. To date there has been absolutely no recalls on this his vehicle which I find surprising. Although they listen to the complaint, I get the same response, bring it to the dealer and once it has been diagnosis then we can see what we can do. Three times this has been done and only once has there been any compensation on GM's part. There is no acknowledgment that the car may be faulty. Has anyone else experience similar problems with the Car or GM. This my first new vehicle, first american car and I hate to say it but probably my last!
  • andydpandydp Member Posts: 2
    This is my wife's car and she has loved it from day one.

The problem: Recently, regardless of outside temps, the TB has started to "hesitate" when cold. It will drive very sluggishly with no power for about 1/2 mile. Then it apparently reaches an optimal temp or setting and drives perfectly. No dash lights come on.

We recently had the plugs and fuel filter replaced. The dealer replaced the catalytic converter and the filter again. The car is now at the dealer waiting for the "foreman" to look at it.

When we dropped it off last night, we taped a note to the steering wheel to the effect that it should be a mechanic that starts this so they can experience the problem when the engine is cold. It will NOT do it when warm.

Bottom line: Anyone else have this problem ?
  • andydpandydp Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to say we took it to the dealer and had the O2 sensor checked. It was shorting out and was the cause of all the problems. Wife has just started out on a trip to Myrtle Beach SC very happy the problem is resolved.

Thanks to everyone for the tips about the O2 sensor. The only thing our TB was doing different that the others reported was none of the lights came on.
  • autobodymanautobodyman Member Posts: 1
    when putting back the headliner!!! THANKS sooo much for any answers!!!
    My 05 Trailblazer Starts out blowing really hot then once I get moving it gets pretty cold. Any thoughts on what this may be?
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    Brian,

My 02' Trailblazer does the same thing. Recent threads have indicated that the fan clutch is the culprit and should be replaced.

David
    Thanks for the info
    I found many complaints about these fan clutches. Has anyone received assistance through GM? I called and they told me to take it to the dealer so they can diagnose the problem... then they may be able to help me. What should I do????
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I replaced the clutch in my 2002 TB last year, and the AC has cooled great ever since. Took me about an hour and a half to do it myself.

The fan clutch has been known by GM to be the cause of poor AC performance for over 2 years. I've posted the first few lines (below) of the service bulletin issued in June 2005. Perhaps documenting it will help you get some help and resolution. The clutch can be bought for less than $200 but parts and labor has been known to run upwards of $700.

Good Luck!

Document ID# 1671108

#04-01-38-019A - (Jun 7, 2005)

Intermittent Slow to Cool HVAC Performance Concerns in
    High Ambient Temperatures and/or High Humidity
    Conditions After Start Up, Especially at Low Engine
    Speeds (Install New Engine Cooling Fan Clutch)

2004-2005 Buick Rainier
    2002-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
    2002-2005 GMC Envoy Models
    2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
    2005 Saab 9-7X

Condition

Some customers may comment on slow to cool Air Conditioning (A/C) performance or high A/C outlet temperatures after startup or that the A/C system is not cooling sufficiently, especially in high ambient temperatures. This may be an intermittent condition and the performance of the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system may not meet customer expectations.

Correction

Replace the EV fan clutch.
  • rcrg81rcrg81 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have an 02 TB and the engine is making a loud noise as if it was pulling 5000 pounds up a hill with the AC on. You know how it sounds when you first turn it on in the morning when its cold out and you rev the gas up and makes a loud nioce and after it warms up its quiet again, well mine sounds like that all the time and the SES light is on so I took it to Autozone and the little computer reader thing said that the fan speed is to high. What does this mean and what can I do please help me? Thank you very much for your time,