Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Fan speed too high means most likely that the EV fan clutch is locked up and needs replacement. Fan speed is not what the computer is commanding it to be, so the SES light is on as a warning.
  • briankruszebriankrusze Member Posts: 10
    This clutch situation is out of control...Is there a way to force a recall?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I doubt if this would be a safety related issue, so the chance of a recall would be remote.
  • dossdoss Member Posts: 1
    i have a 04 TB, IT STARTED HAVING REDUCED ENGINE POWER LAST WINTER IN THE MORNINGS BUT NOW IT HAS STARTED DOING IT EVERYDAY AND IT IS THE MIDDLE OF JULY, IF I LET IT WARM UP IT IS FINE,(WHICH THE REDUCED ENGINE POWER LIGHT IS ON THE WHOLE TIME IT IS IDLING,) BUT THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, THE DEALER WANTS TO REPLACE THE COMPUTER(800.00) ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I DO THIS
  • shadetree9shadetree9 Member Posts: 6
    Any special advice to replace fan clutch? Tools?Remove fan shroud only?
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    There's more to replacing the clutch than is practical to go into here. Yes you need a clutch tool and a big wrench to get the clutch off the water pump shaft. You also have to drain the radiator part way to take the upper radiator hose loose to get it out of the way, remove a few bolts, unhook the shroud, and lift the whole fan-clutch-shroud out all at once. GM did not make the job easy. (If they had used a two piece fan shrowd like on my '88 S-10 it would be very easy, but they didn't.) If you do a Google search you should find a lot of info about doing this yourself.
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer I have a ticking noise coming from the front of the engine. I am not sure if it is one of the pulleys. It has 32000 miles onit. Has anyone had this trouble before.
  • shadetree9shadetree9 Member Posts: 6
    Wiring problem in 03 fan clutch. Thanks much for the info Tblazed, I was set to replace the fan clutch when I found the black wire on the wiring harness plug was not making connection. I connected a jumper wire and now the temp is normal, ac works, and I saved hundreds of $. I hope this helps someone else.
  • ace78ace78 Member Posts: 1
    hey i got a 2005 trailblazer to.......i know wat ure talkin about....so far i had experienced the following the cars stolls as in while pressing on the gas on full throtle the car doesn go beyon 5 to 10 mph then u got the overheating thing plus when the damn thing doesn start at all plus the draining of the battery for no reason at all ive changed the damn battery 4 times so far and all the dealership tells me is that there is nothing wrong with the car...its really frustrating...im jus waiting for one more ding then im selling the bucket
  • elchilenoelchileno Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my 02 TB, the dealer "reflashed" the computer. It didn't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated as the mechanic unsure on how to fix it. thanks.
  • elchilenoelchileno Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 TB and recently I've been having problems in the morning. The truck starts ok but as soon as i give it gas it does nothing, then the engine "catches" and then it's ok. The dealer "reflashed" the PCM? (computer) but that hasn't helped. During the rest of the day the car is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • master_petemaster_pete Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever figure this one out? I too am having problems with the connector burning out on the driver's side low-beam headlight. I have replaced the connector a few times, and it just burns out again after a few days. Does anyone have a solution that will prevent this from happening?
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    You know what YOU CANNOT FIX THE FAN CLUTCH i had the same problem you know what i did I DUMPED THAT POS AND GOT A HONDA. Gm knows its like that and i had 102000 miles on mine and not only that was that problem it was the tranny slipping, and all tranny shops said nothing was wrong. Also dealers saying that the k&n was the reason for the fan clutch. And it stalled on the highway the reduced engine power light did not even come on. Took it to a dealer to fix it mine you they put 6 DIFFERENT FAN CLUTHCHES ON AND NO SOLUTION had gmpp the computer died. So guys i suggest get out IF YOU BITE THE BULLETT YOU WILL THANK YOURSELVES FOR DOING IT BELIEVE ME I LOVEEEEEEEE MY HONDA I DO NOT WORSHIP IT BUT IT BEATS TRYING TO TELL DUM A....... YOU CAR IS BROKE AND THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOU ARE A BUTTHOLE. SO you are NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY IM WARNING LEAVE GM PERIOD TRUST ME JAPAN RULES US
  • wannabeaplayerwannabeaplayer Member Posts: 1
    I too have an '03 TB with the same ticking anyone come up with a solution?
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I have replaced mine three times, I have an 03 with 116k miles and the last change was at 65k miles and my mechanic said let's try some dielectic grease in the connection to help disipate the heat. He was right and that was a few years ago.
    I know this has been discussed here before, but it's been some time and the links don't all work anymore. My external temp sensor has gone out on an 02 TB (for the mirror display), and I am having trouble locating the part on online GM parts suppliers. If anyone can enlighten me with part # or any info please do so.
  • bakeelbakeel Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an '05 TB EXT and am experiencing what seems to be driveshaft noise. Upon accelerating from a stopped position, there's a ting, crackle type noise. Told the dealership and they checked it out and said GM is aware of the issue and there's nothing that can be done. Anyone else experience or hear of this problem? :confuse:
  • swedenurseswedenurse Member Posts: 1
    When attempting to place my 2003 TB in AWD or 4WD, all I hear is a grinding noise. Any idea what the problem may be and how much a repair may cost? Thanks in advance.

Tracy
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    It's not a driveshaft noise....it's a sterring shaft noise. Where the steering column extends down from the sterring wheel to the actual steering gearbox, it is a two piece shaft that slides inside each other to extend and shorten with the front suspension. GM packs these with grease from the factory, which promptly just gets pushed out. They have tried several fixes over the years, all which proved to be temporary at best, and not at all cost-effective for GM, so now they just recommend to do nothing. This problem plagues MANY GM models of trucks and SUVs. Used to work at a dealership, own a 02 4wd TB, and have been through all this with mine.
  • musicmanmumusicmanmu Member Posts: 16
    Hey guys,
    My friend hit a deer this past weekend and it busted on the plastic front grille in his 2003 Trailblazer. He said this was a snap in grille.

Does anyone know where he could find a replacement? And, is it just that easy to snap in, or does it require professional installation?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • crheacrhea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 4 x 4 Trailblazer with the 4.2L engine. The oil dipstick rusted in half near the cap. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? I tried the local dealership but the one they tried to sell me was about 5" too short.
  • rexjeeprexjeep Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Trail Blazer has had this problem on both headlights. I replaced the pig tails to the lights twice on each side and ultimately replaced the sockets and leads. That cleared the problem up. Kwick Karr on Brown Blvd. in Arlington Texas ultimately got them repaired. The Chevrolet Dealer was not much help on this problem.
  • vbellvbell Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2007 4.2L I6 LS trailblazer. This issue has happened twice (exactly 30 days between). The first time, driving down the roads at about 25mph- truck looses power it goes down to about 10-15mph, try to gas it but get nothing. Then all of a sudden about 30 seconds later, it kicks back in and is fine. I called Onstar- had them run an emergency diagnostic- found nothing wrong. We thought maybe it got a bad gulp of gas. Second time it happened I was on the highway doing about 75 mph when the truck drops down to 25mph. FREAKED ME OUT!!!!- called Onstar again for a diagnostic- they say nothings wrong. I took it to the dealership, it was there for 4 days, couldn't find anything wrong. I called GM- they ended up giving me free oil changes for a year because they dont know whats wrong. I have been racking my brain for months trying to figure out why my brand new truck would be doing this. We decide to deactivate Onstar. I found it strange that theses happened exactly 30 days apart and that there was no similarity between the two trips- different speeds, different times of day, different temps, different everything. So my father brought up the point that when your vehicle is stolen and you call Onstar- they disable the vehicle. So what if there is a "glitch" in the system and it is disabling my vehicle for about 30 seconds every 30 days. I know it sounds crazy, but I've got to basically conduct my own investigation because everyone has thrown in the towel- they all think im crazy. Anyways, I haven't had Onstar in over a month and I've had no problems. If anyone knows anything about this or has had similar problems please let me know....i love chevy and i love my truck- i dont want these problems anymore with a brand new vehicle.
    be careful with your honda...hope your aware there is a class action law suit against honda for their odometers reading mileage too quickly. I had two hondas before my chevy. Honda has dissapointed me!!! They dont make them like they used to!!!!
  • amypr77amypr77 Member Posts: 1
    This fuse blows around 2-5 times per month. It is a 10amp fuse. Is it ok to try a 15amp fuse? any suggestions or thoughts?
    hey dont know if you found the answer to your question about the grille by now but...I was thinking about replacing my snap in grille with an after market one. I just googled....chevy grille's. A whole bunch of companies make after market and stock grilles. Good luck!!! :)
    I know you post was a while ago...but..I know that when i first bought my 07 trailblazer I heard this ticking and i thought it was something bad. It turns out that there is a chain (like a thick bicycle chain) that runs my cam i guess instead of a belt..and thats what makes it tick a little. obviously it could be something else, but your message just caught my eye and made me think of that. Ive also heard a ticking type noise in chevys while driving with an exhaust leak....but that might b a different tick noise.....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's generally a bad idea to replace a fuse with one that has a higher current rating. Something is causing that fuse to blow and I would focus on finding what that is.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hwbarrushwbarrus Member Posts: 1
    2 questions for you experts out there. 1. How do I change the Headlight lamp bulb elements. I can't seem to get into the housing to change the elements. 2. ever since I got the vehicle the reading lamps keep blowing the fuse. I can only get about 2 weeks before they don't work again. The dealer can't or won't find and fix the problem.
  • bluechevy1bluechevy1 Member Posts: 10
    Hope everyone is getting ready for St. Nick. I've owned my 04 Trailblazer LT 4x4 since Mar 07 and thought I'd share my experiences thus far, and ask a couple questions. So far, I've had the following issues (thankfully under warranty) vehicle had 29,000 at time of purchase:

Replaced fan clutch due to a/c not cooling as well at idle
    driver side power window master switch replaced due to rear window buttons on the control sticking.
    Replaced HVAC Control head. (when putting it on defrost it was blowing out the vents etc) lights were also out on 1 side of control.
    Front Stabilizer links replaced, rubber seal around license plate replaced.
    Weather stripping around all 4 doors re attached as they were all loose. Radio replaced due to several lights not illuminating. Driver side mirror gasket replaced due to wind whistle. (this helped lots, but whistle is still there. happens at approx 55 mph). Plastic trim around driver side power seat replaced twice due to breaking. (and its already cracked again). left front strut started leaking, replaced.

Current mileage is 40,000 and I've had some strange things happen within the last 5,000 miles or so.. Oh, and btw there have been no aftermarket electronic or other mods added to the vehicle. Anyway, I noticed just before warranty ran out that the "fasten belts" chime wasn't always "dinging" at me when i would start the vehicle but, I never really thought much about it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Tonight it was rainy and cooler and when I started the vehicle, the chimes didn't work, (neither did the low fuel light, although it was illuminated) and the radio didn't work. The clock and all radio funtions were working, properly i.e.seek/scan but it was like it wasn't picking up any stations, it just kept scanning thru and absolutely no sound. Just like all stations were off the air or no reception. Yes, I made sure the volume was turned up. Tried turning the vehicle off and restarting a couple times but it didn't help.. Later, I restarted the engine after refueling and the chimes and radio were back to normal. Also, 2 seperate times i've gotten the "service 4wd" light.. The first time was approximately 6 days after the warranty had expired. The light didn't shut off after starting the vehicle and was on steady until the next time it was started... Took it to GM dealer and they stated they couldn't find a trouble code when it was hooked to the computer. That was about 4 mos. ago.. Then a couple weeks ago, light was back on... At that time (and maybe this happened before since i didn't think to look) none of the lights around the 4wd switch were illuminated. 2wd etc.. And turning the 4wd knob didn't make any 4wd lights illuminate. Both times this has happend it was when the vehicle was first started. But next time i started vehicle everything was fine and it hasn't been on since. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

I'd like to add that I'm pretty disappointed with this vehicle in general and would not recommend the TB to others. Since I've owned it, it has been one issue after another, although nothing too serious so far, but maybe its starting to be? Perhaps the newer ones are better?? I was excited when I first got this suv, since it is the nicest, newest car i've ever owned. However, it didn't take long for the honeymoon to wear off, because the problems started on night 1 of ownership with the HVAC switch. I come from a long line of die-hard GM fans (myself included) and it pains me to say this but, so far this thing has been one more piece of s***.
  • matt14matt14 Member Posts: 6
    My kid got glue on the one side of the bench seat. How do I replace the upholstery? First, how do I get the old upholstery off? Is there some kind of special tool to remove the "pins" holding it onto the seat or do I just have to pull harder? Second, where to I find a replacement piece of upholstery? Should I go to the dealer or is there someplace to get it online cheaper? I know I could take it to the dealer to fix, but it's probably ten times as long and as expensive as doing it myself as it doesn't look like to hard of a job. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The dealer is just going to farm out the work to an upholstery shop. You could call your service writer and ask them who they use and take the car there yourself. Or just visit a few upholstery shops in your area. The shops will likely tell you how to remove the fabric if you want to do it yourself, and some may sell you the material or give you recommendations on where to buy some material.
  • bizzeewomanbizzeewoman Member Posts: 2
    :sick: Hi, It was suggested I post this message in this forum discussion.

Whenever I accelerate, for instance after being stopped at a stop light, starting off it's very slow to pick up speed, and once it gets to 20 mph it jerks and the same thing once I'm at 30 mph. It doesn't do this once on the expressway going 60 to 70 mph. I just had a complete tune up that involved replacing plugs -- everything that could be replaced. Also, it runs much better than it did before the tune-up.

I have 131,000 miles on it. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I noticed it a lot when I put regular gasoline in it but now it's does it even with super leaded gasoline. Also, just for background info, I only drive it during the winter months.

This is driving me nuts -- any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • tirtlelovetirtlelove Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2003 CHEV TRAILBLAZER EXT V6. THE BLOWER IN THE FRONT COMES ON 1 DAY BUT THE NEXT WON'T WORK. BLOWER IN BACK WORKS ALL THE TIME. IS THIS A CONNECTION PROBLEM? I WOULD LIKE TO TRY TO FIX THIS MYSELF. I'VE CHECKED ALL OF THE FUSES & LOOKED FOR A LOOSE WIRE, BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE OUT OF PLACE. PLEASE HELP!!! DO YOU RECOMMEND USING THE CHILTON REPAIR MANUEL FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS?
  • ldblankldblank Member Posts: 1
    Does this sound like a BCM problem?

------------ start ------------------

Electrical problem
    2002 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    We've recently had some strange things happening...

Interior lights - sometimes they fade and go out as they should, other times they stay on after leaving the car. After a couple of dead batteries, we've been using the override (interior lights always off) button.

The master panel on the driver's door.. always works for the driver's window and lock, but has occasional failures in regards to operating passenger windows and locks.

Feedback on locking or unlocking with the remote - used to blink the lights on unlock, blink on single lock command, and blow the horn with a second lock command. Now the results are inconsistent... sometimes nothing, sometimes multiple horn blows, sometimes just the lights blinking.

And finally, the autolock/unlock seems to have a mind of it's own. Works correctly 90% of the time, but occassionally you will hear it cycle the locks multiple times on either locking or unlocking. It also has at least a few times failed to lock when it normally would as well as cycled the locks while we were traveling at 50+ mph....

The battery is good. Voltage in the system is normal.

Are all these items controled by a single module? If so is this something that can be replaced easily. Any clues that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn

---------- end -----------------------------

What does a BCM control?

Other than various symptoms, is there a definitive test (i.e. stored codes) that tell you if you have a bad one?
  • mellisatmellisat Member Posts: 1
    2003 trailblazer my rpm will not work what could be wrong. Also the ding sound that it makes when you open the door and the keys are in the ignition does not ding very loud anymore. when to the button on the radio turn the sound to loud but it keeps going back down. need some help
  • mcconemccone Member Posts: 2
    A weird thing happened to me today and I am hoping someone will be able to help me out. I went to start up my truck tonight and the headlights will not turn on. My parking lights and high beams will work but not the headlights. I dont think it is a fuse because both the driver and passenger are out. Any suggestions??
    Did the headlamp switch by some chance get moved to the parking lights only position? If so then the auto lamps won't work. If it's like my 02 then the left position is auto, the center is parking only, the right is the headlamp override.
  • 04tblazerls04tblazerls Member Posts: 2
    The same thing happend to me two days ago. Everylight in the car worked high beams, tail lights, back ups, turn signals, marker lights, interior, fine the four headlight fuses were fine also. So i thought what could be wrong. I broke out the sercuit tester and tested fuses 6 and 3 which your book will show you on page 5-94 as your low beam fuses. But good old General Motors cant make life easy. The dumb asses left the fuses in the trucks for the power adjustable pedals which i don't have. Well luck have it it is fuse number 53 and it was the only fuse that tested bad. I pulled it saw it was blown. I didnt think this would make a difference, but god said let there be light. Check it out it worked for me.
  • gmfan4gmfan4 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2006 LT TB with the 5.3 V-8, not the EXT. I bought the car back in Aug 2006 and everything has been great...I already have 43,000 mi on it. A couple of things:

1. When looking under the hood around the battery, there is an on/off switch...I have never seen this before and was wondering if others had this. My vehicle does have an aftermarket anti-theft device, but I never activate it...it came with the car...do you think it could be the aftermarket device? If so, I wonder if I could turn it off. I bought the car new and the dealership had already installed this on the vehicle.

2. Sometimes, if the vehicle has been sitting overnight or a couple of days, when I crank it up the clock reads 12:00 like the battery was disconnected. All of my pre-set radio channels works fine and are still in memory, but the clock must be rest. Anyone else have this happen? The battery appears strong and is putting out 13-14 volts

3. When I put the vehicle in park, sometimes (and this is going to sound crazy), the speedometer jumps from 0-40 mph and immediately back down...it only does this once when it happens, and it occurs about twice a month.

4. Sometimes when I enter the vehicle, the CD charger is making noise like it thinks there is a CD, when I do not have one in. What the heck? I don't even have the key in the ignition and the CD is "shifting" like it is looking for a CD or trying to eject something.

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated!
  • doug55doug55 Member Posts: 2
    What is the easiest way to get to the right side marker lamp on a 2004 Trailblazer to replace it.
  • jerrcribjerrcrib Member Posts: 21
    having problem with switch selector,sometimes nothing out of dash vents,then when i turn switch to another mode,say floor vent,i get a steady click noise inside dash,could this be the actuator module,blower settings work fine. any help would be appreciated.thanks woody
    There was a TSB out for the "mode door actuator" which would make the kind of noise you describe. The only repair was to replace the actuator. I had it done a long time ago but it never really effected the operation of the vents for me, but it may be worse in your case. For me it was only occasional and only a few clicks.
    thanks for the info. I changed the control module seems to have worked,just a small click every now and then vents workin ok for now.i will keep an eye on actuato thaks wwody
    did gm cover the mode door actuato after the warranty on tsb.thanks woody
    It was covered under my extended GMPP after the factory warranty expired.
    would you happen to know where the actuator is located on your trailblazer.thanks
  • brinakbrinak Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Trailblazer and have had no problems until recently. I was driving on the highway last week with the cruise set on 65 and suddenly the vehicle lost acceleration. The "Service Engine Soon" light was on, but had been off and back on over the course of several days. When I mashed the gas pedal, nothing happened. I pulled over and came to a complete stop, mashed the gas pedal and the vehicle accelerated. I drove about a mile up the road and the same thing happened. I pulled over again and same story. I put the vehicle in 3rd gear and drove about 45 MPH and got the vehicle to the shop. They hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and replaced the MAP sensor and reset the "Service Engine" light. Then next day, the same loss of acceleration happened again but there was no fault light on. I took it back to the shop and they got no faults on the diagnostice check, but eventually determined the MAP sensor they put in was faulty. They replaced the sensor and it drove fine. Now, 3 days later, the exact same thing has happened again and none of the idiot lights are on. Has anyone had anything like this happen?
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    On the problem of radio losing the clock: it is indicative that battery power to the radio got disrupted by some reason (Aftermarket rewiring? or the control module that controls 12V to radio somehow cycles it on or off incorrectly). When radio loses its power, the clock will be resetted back to 12:00.

The Station Presets stay since this info is stored in Non Volatile memory (EEPROM) along with most if not all customizations. With older radio without the EEPROM, as soon as the radio loses its 12V power, everything (besides Time of Day) is lost

jt
  • rday2rday2 Member Posts: 1
    how do you repair a fan wobble on a 2005 trailblazer. i dont know if it is just an idler or what . thanks