Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    When you say "spoiler" do you mean the plastic trim piece on top of the gate, the piece with the third stoplight built in?
  • ticadooticadoo Member Posts: 40
    Yes, that is it! I had somebody stop me this morning and tell me they thought it was going to come off...looks like maybe bolt is broke?
    I read somewhere else that there was a technical service bulletin for the same problem that I'm having with my rear gate/plastic piece. Anybody know the number? Haven't been able to find it.
    I found a TSB # 060866011. Summary, "rear liftgate binds, improper fit, may be caused by broken welds or cracks formed around the two inner welds." NHTSA Campaign ID 10020523. Anybody have any luck with this?
    :lemon:
    Early on people posted about how this could get broken easy if ice/snow built up around and under it and then became trapped when you open or close it. I don't know of any way to easily repair it other than replacing it (if it's broken), which is an expensive option if I remember right.
    Thanks, but not good news. Local Chevy dealer closed; now must drive an hour, one way. I'm sure too expensive for me to fix anyway. What will happen if it comes off? (Sorry, I am a single mother)
  • justme918justme918 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Chevy Trailblazer, I enjoy my truck, but since she has hit 75,000 miles she stalls at every stop. There are freak times that she happens to stay on, but very few and far an in between. I've taken her to my mechanic who put in a new clutch fan, and she still stalls, so he recommended I take her to a chevy dealer. They put in an 02 censor, 350. later and she is still stalling. My throttle body looks great, but I had it cleaned any way, did the whole sea foam deal. Still stalling. The Chevy dealers told me to just keep driving her untill she won't start again. That's not exactly the answer I was looking for. lol. The crazy thing is, all diognostics come back clear, no check engine lights or anything. I am running out of idea's. Does anyone else have any idea's?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Wild guess - perhaps your alternator isn't generating enough electricity at low rpm?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • towmater1976towmater1976 Member Posts: 3
    I also have an 05 TB and I had the head redone due to burnt exhaust valves and mine didn't even have 50,000 miles on it. Cheap chinese parts. I was getting misfire on cylinder one. After the head was redone. The TB ran fine until you drove it for about 20 miles then after every stop you made it would die. I had to two foot drive to keep it running. Well come to find out the computer needed to be reprogrammed by the dealership and it still works but, when I drive it for a while and shut it off I have to push the gas pedal to start the TB. I still don't know where the problem is with the TB, but at least it runs.

You may just need to take it to the dealership and have them look at it since it could be a programming problem.
    I've had that done too. No go. I took it to the dealer, they have no idea either. They suggested I replace the throttle body, I've had 3 other mechanics look at it and they all say it's working as it should.
    I had one guy say he thought it was the catalytic converter, but I can't get that tested unless the "check engine" light is on.
    The dealers are the one's that suggested I drive her till she won't start again. Not very insightful. lol
  • graydog59graydog59 Member Posts: 5
    Sounds like a Mass Airflow Sensor problem.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed...I took my 03 Trailblazer to a local body shop and they were able to glue/use double tape to secure molding. Let's hope it works. Only cost $40.00
    I have replaced the throttle body, and of course, she still stalls. I am at a loss. I have no idea what's wrong with this stupid truck. Is there anyone else that is having this problem? Let's group up and force them to do a recall.
  • towmater1976towmater1976 Member Posts: 3
    I am still have problems with my TB not wanting to idle after it is driven for a little while, The Check Engine light is not on and when you stop it dies every time. The only way to keep it running is if you two foot drive. Then other times it doesn't do it at all. I am at lose. I really hate this thing and wish i had never set eyes on it. My dad said it was because I was running my air conditioning. That has nothing to do with it. I have had at his shop, and a dealership, No one seems to know what the problem is. If anyone has a similar problem or knows what is wrong with it PLEASE HELP ME!!!
  • fastfred4fastfred4 Member Posts: 3
    Mine was doing the same thing.
    They did something to the AC relay.
    Works fine now !! :)
  • jae3413jae3413 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a '02 TB about 4 months ago. It has 80,000 miles on it now. I noticed after driving it for a little while that it was pretty noisy on bumpy roads. I had it checked out (thought needed new shocks or something) and they couldn't find anything that needed to be replaced. I really do like it but last week out of nowhere when I go to turn right my horn honks. My battery has died and been replaced and just this morning the service engine soon light and reduced engine power light came on and my car would go but only about 10mph (maybe). I know that it could be a number of things due to reading through everyone elses posts but any ideas or has this been happening to others?
  • trbld88trbld88 Member Posts: 3
    so what ever happened with the fuel guage prob
    ive seen other replys about same prob,my question is the dealership says they dont carry a fuel sending repair kit,but only a fuel sensor replacement for around 140.00.is this the same.because my guage is doing the same as others bounce then goes to mt.plus i was wondering if this same sensor also triggers the check engine light.any help or comments are appreciated.thanks
    what was that part number by chance if you still got it.my dealer in missouri says they carry a sensor for around 140.00.is that maybe what your mechanic replaced.even if you could pass along your mechanics # or let me know in any way what the part was it would be greatly appreciated.thanks
  • sorryownersorryowner Member Posts: 3
    The past year, my 03 has been guzzling gas. Can drop 1/8 tank driving to and from work, total of approx 10 miles. Also, there has been a terrible smell of raw gas inside the vehicle while driving. No gas spots on the ground, been checked for vapor leaks...no leaks... what's the problem? ">
  • fj4072fj4072 Member Posts: 29
    Check your gas filler neck for cracks, there is a re-call for this, have the dealer check it out. Also, depending on where you live, like in snow country, the top of the fuel tank itself could be rotting out. There are many things this could be, like leaky fuel injectors, fuel regulator, fuel pump, but start with the filler neck first, which was a common problem for the earlier TB's. As far as the guzzling gas......Clean your Throttle Body, run Seafoam through it, and change your plugs to AC delco. This engine runs a lot better on the original AC Delco's believe it or not. Also, change your 02 sensor upstream in the engine compartment, with these done, you're gas mileage will be back to normal, if not better.
  • alegodalegod Member Posts: 2
    How long does it take to change a clutch pulley on a 2002 trailblazer a/c compressor?
    1-1/2 hours or less, add an hour if you're replacing the bearing.
  • alegodalegod Member Posts: 2
    do you know of any websites that carry them?I am having trouble finding one! Will i need any specialty tools to change it?
    No don't know of any websites that just carry the pulley. Could just go to a wrecking yard. Is your pulley making a noise when the A/C is off and engine running? If it does, your bearing needs to be replaced. Measure the bearing size, because ALL the autoparts stores list the wrong size. bearingsdirect.com is a good one for the bearing. Borrow a fan clutch tool set from an auto parts store, snap ring pliers, and just normal wrenches and sockets.
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    Trying to save others some time, money, stress & headaches... There is an alternative to going to the dealer for a replacement rear wiper blade on the 07+ Chevy Trailblazer. It may first appear that the blade and arm are one piece but if you take a look, you'll see the wiper blade can be replaced and its actually quite simple. It's a special rear wiper blade though. There may be other alternatives, but the "Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade" snaps right onto the special rear arm and looks like the factory original. You can find it online. Much cheaper than the dealer alternative and easier/less tedious than messing around with rubber blade refills. Comes with removal and replacement instructions too. Hope this helps.
  • frogman14frogman14 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 trailblazer. Keyless remotes stopped working. Searched and suggested to check tag lights- not working. rear washer/wiper not working. when I lock the doors manually, the rear liftgate does not lock. no way to do it manually. What's wrong with the car? Dealer wants $500 to troubleshoot and repait without parts! Then it all has to be reprogrammed. :confuse:
    Could try to reprogram the remote, have you tried that yet?
  • cadcockcadcock Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was the problem? My 02 Trailblazer is doing same thing now. Mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong, no faults on diagnostics. Taking to dealership next week.
  • timmustimmus Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 trailblazer and my battery keeps dying. I just replaced it two weeks ago and now I came out to start it and it was dead again. I had the voltage checked at to places after I got a jump start and they both said everything was fine. I thought it could be the alternator. Nope that was not the problem. Does anyone have an idea what could be happening? Thanks
    If the battery voltage is good then you have to look elsewhere for the problem........Some areas that come to mind are ignition switch, poor battery connections, intermittent starter, or a problem in the rundown protection system. A fully charged resting battery will measure about 12.6VDC if it's good. It may be higher if it was just charged. Just measuring the voltage isn't good enough to determine if a battery is good, a load test of a fully charged battery is.
    If a good battery keeps running down then it's also possible that you have a constant drain on the battery due to an electronic problem.
  • davemcfdavemcf Member Posts: 2
    we have a 2003 trail blazer and sometimes not all the time it pulls hard to the left, and then releases and drives fine, the power steering levels are fine but it does make a harsh noise a whining sound, could this just be the pump ? it is one of those things that started over night. coulsd anyone help me ???
  • davemcfdavemcf Member Posts: 2
    the 4x4 in our blazer only works sometimes, and pretty much when we dont need it, the lights on the switch say its in a different mode but still only in 2 whell drive, does anyone know the problem ?
  • puzzled10puzzled10 Member Posts: 2
    I have same problem with my 02 Trailblazer. Did you find what the problem was ?
  • puzzled10puzzled10 Member Posts: 2
    You described the exact problem that I am having with my 02 trailblazer. Did you reslove the problem and what was the cause?
  • frogman14frogman14 Member Posts: 2
    I took it to my mechanic. Remove the boot above the tailgate, while the tailgate it open. I had three wires broken in side the boot. He had to use a coat hanger to pull the wires back through once he re attached them. That was the most challenging part. Once back together everything worked like a charm. Just had high beams and flash to pass go out, I ma assuming the same thing, also speakers go out intermittently, must be wires also.
  • buzby00buzby00 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the problem???

I have an 06 Sierra and have the same problem
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    I've had the same issue with the LF speaker for at least 2 years on my 02 Trailblazer. Funny thing though, the speaker will work if I leave the car sit for a long period of time in the sun, windows closed, and the temperature outside reaches above 85.

Once its on it will stay on. Let it sit overnight and she's toast.

Good Luck.
    Texas
  • sdrink02sdrink02 Member Posts: 2
    IF you have onstar it might be that. mine use to have the same problem and it was my onstar. it kept on turning it self on a night. so just pulled the fuse to that and that might be it
  • minchrstnminchrstn Member Posts: 1
    Mine is having the exact same problem. Keyless entry doesn't work, rear windshield wipers don't work, radio shuts off instead of staying on for a few minutes, and now my back lift gate will not even open. Did you get yours fixed?
  • jr102jr102 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 trailblazer and my boyfriend has an 03 trailblazer. We have both had issues with our gas gauge and he had to have his speedometer fixed. Coincidence? I think not, there is obviously something wrong with this feature of the car. Oh and his brother had a chevy truck and his speedometer went out. All in all we are talking about over $2000 in maintenance charges. I want to get my gas gauge fixed but for now have to leave it because it is so expensive to fix. I get it, things happen to cars and not everything is always going to work correctly and you do need to pay to keep the car running smoothly but for 3 cars in one family to all have the same problem this is a major issue that Chevy should not just pass on to its loyal customers. I will call NHTSA and file a complaint. If Chevy was smart they would fix this problem or have better customer care because I already convinced one friend who wanted a chevy not to buy it because of these frustrating and costly issues. I myself will not buy another chevy unless this is something they take responsibility for. I strongly urge everyone to call NHTSA and file a complaint and maybe chevy will recall this faulty part.
    You problem is the stepper motors (tiny motors that move the needles) which cost between $10-$15 each and take about an hour or less to replace yourself. Very common problem. Before you go spending that kind of money or even replacing the entire cluster. Replace the stepper motors. There are 6 motors in total, one for each guage. Can get them off E-bay for cheap.
  • 2002tbls2002tbls Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with my 2002 TB. The console gauges all go to zero excpt the speedometer. Have you had a resolution? I was told to replace my ignition switch. I have not yet done that but plan to. The engine continues to run smooth, it's just the gauges, radio, etc that stop working.

Thank you for any help.
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    Had that problem early on when my 02 Trailblazer was in warranty. Chevy had to replace the Instrument Cluster Panel.

Good Luck.
  • mattf11mattf11 Member Posts: 1
    I get a clicking noise evey time I start my Traliblazer, coming from the right right wheel well, between internal plastic cover and body frame so it is not accessible from the outside. It happens when the car is first started for 5 - 10 seconds and stops, then does it again internittently for the next 30 - 45 seconds. It seems to occur after I touch the brakes so I am thinking it is the hydraulic system pressurizing, Any good answers ?
  • lararlarar Member Posts: 1
    My son backed my 2003 Trailblazer EXT into a tree and busted the glass. This car has 200,000 miles on it, and money is tight, so I'm looking for an inexpensive fix. Replacement back glass parts are about $700 new, and used ones are hard to come by. I found a 2003 Trailblazer at a salvage yard with parts that are very inexpensive. My question is - 1 - Why won't a Trailblazer back glass fit a Trailblazer EXT? 2 - Could I replace the entire back gate instead? (meaning, could I use the back gate on the salvaged Trailblazer on my Trailblazer EXT?)
  • tnanningatnanninga Member Posts: 10
    For the third time within One Year I have a leak in the Upper Coolant Hose. I replaced the water pump and since then we've had this problem. There is a hemorage of the inner lining and coolant pushes up to toward the radiator. As soon as my wife drives up I can smell the leaking coolant. I am adding about a quart of coolant a week (160 miles).
  • katinvegaskatinvegas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer that has had on going electrical problems. None of the gauges work - it started out as just periodic failure - now it is complete failure. I am constantly shocked when exiting the vehicle if I brush against any metal on the drivers door. The rear tailgate no longer will lock. Also, the headlights will only work on bright. I have been to the dealer so many times with these issues that I feel like everyone runs the other direction when they see me coming. I have been told numerous times at the dealership -that this is a on going problem with this year/model. I have seen so many post on the internet with others having the same issues. Why won't GM take responsibility for these issues? I can't afford to just buy a new car - and there is no way anyone will give me anything for this vehicle. The cost they want for fixing this is ridiculous and they can't guarantee that it won't happen again.
  • katinvegaskatinvegas Member Posts: 2
    Hate to tell you but in the Trailblazer it isn't just the tiny little cheap motors. The problem is the entire cluster - replaced mine twice and it continues to be a problem. The techs at the dealerships say this is on going issue with the trailblazers and until GM takes it serious enough to recall it - it is going to be nothing but COSTLY on going problems!! So frustrating!!!
    You get shocked due to static when you brush across the seat getting out. It happens in dry climates like you have in Nevada, just like in Arizona. It's a normal thing. Keep one hand on a metal surface when exiting (like the door frame) and most of the static will be conducted away without building up enough to shock you. Sorry for all your other problems, my 02 has been rock solid since day 1.