Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• pistonbrokepistonbroke Member Posts: 1
    Hello happy Ford fans, I have recently had a problem with my truck which my "professional" mechanical type people at Ford Canada can't seem to help me with. While turning left and using the left indicator, on occasion the light on the dash will freeze with the arrow illuminated and shortly thereafter smoke can be seen coming out of the area around the hazard activation button. I have had my truck up to the dealership twice for this problem and all they did is send it back with different problems. There opinion is that they haven't seen any evidence of damage in the column (1st time I know they didn't even open it up, wasn't a finger print in the dust) 2nd time they said they found no evidence of any "burning" in the column. Have any of you fine people got any ideas on how to convince Ford that there is something wrong, short of letting the truck burn to the ground, Any advice would be nice. Over
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    down our truck choices...Dakota too small, and lumbar support in drivers seat is inadequate... highly impressed with Silverado ext cab, inflatable lumbar support in both driver and passenger seats...Ram just feels like driving a Kenworth, altho it was well made and Hemi power is nice...considering Ford F150, used, 2001, 2002, 2003, King Ranch version of ext cab, 5.4L, 2WD, auto trans, short (5.5 or 6.5 ft bed) (also available King Ranch 4 Door supercrew, but wife prefers ext cab)...any thoughts on King Ranch???...I ask for your thoughts because I see so few of them, may be hard to find...would hate to ask a dealer to "find one" and then not be pleased with its amenities...I believe they have saddle leather captains chairs for front passengers with center console, is this correct???...also, do they come with either green or blue exterior paint???...how well equipped are they inside, and do the captains chairs have adjustable low back supports for just driver, both, or neither???...any help is appreciated, as I narrow down my choices and options for the wife's truck...
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    with new car/truck incentives at a record high, I would strongly recommend you look at the new '04 F150. The seats have been re-designed with lumbar and they are as comfortable a seat as I have ever sat in.

A dealer this past weekend was advertising ALL '04 F150 XLT supercabs at $8500 below MSRP - that means you can get a car equiped just the way you want for close to $21,000 plus tax, title and registration.

Don't buy a one year old truck with incentives like these.

You can go to ford.com and build your truck then put in your zip code and they will point you to inventory at a dealer near you. Once you have a VIN, your ready to negotiate.
  • geodanversgeodanvers Member Posts: 5
    Has any one had a problem with the steering. I have a slight noise when the steerin wheel is moved off center left or right. Feels like the pump or rack may be the cause the noise? It goes away after awhile
    any service bulletin on the 2004 F150 trucks?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Thanks for the advice...we checked out a new F150 Lariat on Saturday, and when we walked in we were offered a "friends and family" discount, which the salesman said could add up to $10K off MSRP...we were floored...the truck is the quietest we have drive, a little large, but got used to that quickly...will be buying the Lariat shortly...wonder if rebates will improve as we go into August, any thoughts???
    WOW! that sounds awesome
    when you say "family" are you referring to a member in the family who worked for Ford or as an existing Ford owner? either way, it's the best deal I've heard of or seen posted here.

Re: rebates - it's hard to tell what they will do. When rebates go up, sometimes it means the dealer will back off from his discount - so it doesn't always mean the total cost is lower.

I've been posting here for several months and seen the advertisements go from $5k off msrp in March to $7k off MSRP in June to $8,500 off MSRP in July. Who knows where the end is??
  • fordford Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 F350 SRW LB V10 AUTO SC with 140,000 miles. Several months ago the Air Bag light suddenly began flashing twice followed by seven flashes and a long off delay. This is repeated several times after startup and then it remains on solid. None of the manuals show the code. The computer does not display any codes. The ford dealer will not tell me anything except to bring it in. I have disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Ford,
     Haven't had the problem. Do know that if the SRS indicator light is on, it means that your air bag system is disabled and will not deploy even if you're in a real accident.

There's a Web Site that's run by Ford Service Technicians called "Flat Rate Tech." It's usually for the mechanics and their grievances against Ford, but they also provide a help service to the Do it Yourselfer. You can submit your question over there, and they will try their best to answer it via return E-mail. They got access to all the manuals and computer data bases that you and I can't get to. They're usually pretty helpful, and do a pretty fair job considering they're not actually putting their hands on the vehicle. It's free of charge.

http://flatratetech.com/consumerform.htm
  • roger3roger3 Member Posts: 1
    I have started to tow a 6500 lb trailer with my 1998 F150/5.4 engine. I noticed that the coolant gauge needle only goes up about 1/4" (just to the top of the little icon) no matter how hard I am pulling up a long grade in 80 degree weather. When I first start it up the gauge needle is at the bottom and then goes up the 1/4" an no more.
    How can I diagnose if I have a faulty gauge or sensor and where in the heck is the sensor located?
  • eqf150eqf150 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 F150 4X2 (300 V6) with dual fuel tanks. When I switch from the rear tank to the front tank, the engine stalls. The truck works fine on just the rear tank. Both tanks are full of new gas. You can hear the fuel pump come on when it is on rear tank, but it doesn't do anything when you switch to the front tank. I've checked the fuses. It looks like they have a common fuel pump and a common fuel filter, which leads me to beleive it is not a clogged fuel line.
    Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
    I thought there were separate fuel pumps, one in each tank. Or am I mistaken, and there are only separate sender units for the fuel gauge?
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    on my f150 w/dual tanks,i have a low pressure pump in each tank followed by a single high pressure pump common to both tanks.
  • 4x4bully14x4bully1 Member Posts: 8
    My 2004 SCREW FX4 seems to have a whimpy a/c now that the summer heat is bearing down. Have heard other comments prior that Ford's a/c aren't as cold as other makes. I have driven numerous Dodge and Chev products that were quicker with the cool down period.

Does anyone else have some advice or experience to share?

Thanks, Dennis
    yes, my '04 F150 AC is wimpy too.
    fortunately it's not too hot where I live, otherwise I'd be more impatient. The Max AC does nothing to improve things either.
  • jdfrmkyjdfrmky Member Posts: 15
    AC in my 2004 f-150 crew cab IS wimpy.Wanted to tint my windows but dealer cannot correct rubbing on driver and pass. door windows.There is a streak about 3 or 4 inches long in middle of window with grease streaks something is rubbing.You can hear the window rubbing as they go down.I do not think I can tint without correcting this.This is a pretty picky item for a FORD dealer to correct.Especially with all the chaos at my dealers service dept."FIX WHAT?"
  • 04f150l4x404f150l4x4 Member Posts: 33
    I think the AC runs to cold.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It runs too cold? A rare complaint indeed. Many owners with F150s and Superdutys have issues with inadequate a/c in hot weather.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Does your cruise and horn still work? If not, then it's the clock spring inside the steering column. I had that very same problem with my '99. My dealership fixed it for $75. Maybe they were trying to "get" my business, I'm a do-it-yourselfer.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    There has been a service bulletin about the AC problems. I can't remember exactly what was wrong, but there is some sort of problem with a sensor that adjusts how cold the AC is. Basically the truck thinks (incorrectly) that it's cold so the AC doesn't cool as much as it is actually capable of.
  • rebcorebco Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 F-350 diesel with 145,000 miles about six months ago I was pulling into job site and I heard this loud bang noise come from under the engine and I loss all control of the truck no steering what so ever looked under the truck and the steering rod " PITMAN ARM" was laying on the ground. Replaced the socket assembly and considered it a freak accident! Then last week it broke again pulling out of my driveway took it to dealer they replaced both socket assembly and the rod. Dont know if this is really going to solve the problem seems like the power steering pump is putting alot of pressure on the steering stops when you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right can this be the reason why it keeps breaking? do I have to shave down the stops? All I know is that I've been lucky twice dont know about three times!!!
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    I have found a '97 F-150 XLT Stepside for sale. The front brakes have just been totally re-done (pads, rotors, wheel cylinders and bearings re-packed). I happened to walk into the garage when the guy was performing this task. Lots of miles (180,000) but, the engine runs great! No noise, leaks and vibration that I can detect. We are negotiating the inspection and necessary repairs as to whom should pay, and he wants $5,500.00 What say ye? - the body is perfect.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    At what mileage are you replacing the accessory drive belt on the 5.4 Triton? I thought it was 50k but the book says nothing other than an inspection at 60k+.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... everyone is welcome and ALL things automotive (and some not-so-automotive topics) are fair game! Stop in tonight and get to know some of your fellow Town Hall residents better. We may even play a little automotive trivia!

Getting things started, from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, If your passion is Mazda or you just like to go ZOOM ZOOM, the place to be is the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

Imediately following from 7-8pm PT/10-11pm ET, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    tyresmoker,
    my '04 maintenence schedule calls for the accessory belts to be replaces at 130k miles (close to that anyway).
  • alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    Probably a late post for AC not cooling: Try running AC with re-circulate button pushed in (active), once the inside air is cooled down, release the re-circulate button so outside air can be mixed with inside air. Also, in extreme hot weather, try not using the AUTO either, use manual ON/OFF. I have tried this way & it works, I am in Texas & temps reach triple digits at times.
  • kappel15kappel15 Member Posts: 4
    i own a 2000 ford f150 xlt super cab 4wd. this year at around 70,ooomiles i started getting a knock in the engine at start up. it sounds like a diesel in the morning for the first 20 minutes, which is well past running temp. took it to a dealer cause i have ford esp. they said it sounded like piston slap. they called ford esp to see what they said and they said it was normal. it would not affect duration or performance. in other words nobody wants to do any thing!dealer said they would tear it down but if ford esp rep came and everything was within specks i would be stuck with bill. now if this can happen at any time it really gives you incentive to go buy another ford truck for 30 to 36,000 dollars!if i went on a lot and started this truck up and heard this knock (not a tic mind you a KNOCK) i would shut it off and walk away!if this is just piston slap why aren't they all making the noise ?iv'e called ford esp 'ford customer relations and no one wants to hear about it. i guess for some things ford extended service ain't worth a hill of beans.i figure if it didnt make noise before it shouldnt now. by the way i have 73300miles on truck now and warranty runs out at 75000.any suggestions ? thanks for any help
    Piston Slap had been an issue with '99 and early '00 5.4L, and 6.8L engines. At the time Ford had the same PR line - while a motor with Piston Slap was noisier, Piston Slap wouldn't affect its longevity or reliability. Yet as I remember they were replacing the motors for people who really made a stink about it. (Think there was kind of an unspoken recall on this, and Ford ate the cost as goodwill.) The other point I remember was that they said that Piston Slap was kind of a "birth defect" in these engines as a result of some of the cylinder heads being slightly out of spec. When engine was cold piston would hit top of cylinder, as it warmed up and expanded the slapping would stop. The point that sticks in my mind was hearing that an engine either exhibited piston slap almost from the start (within 5-8K miles) or it never would.
        Seems strange that your engine would start with it four years and 70K miles later. Makes me think that may be something else has gone awry. (Yet, I wouldn't want you to get stuck with an engine tear-down and re-assembly bill on my account.)
        I'm not sure how far back the archived message threads go back on this site. Do a search on Piston Slap - there were a large number of posts about it in late '98, and all throughout '99 into 2000.
  • kappel15kappel15 Member Posts: 4
    hey thanks for the info . hopefullyi have stunkup the whole ford company lol ive written the bbb and the attorny general and call ford customer relations every other day. thanks again for the reply kappel15
  • raynerrayner Member Posts: 1
    When coming to a slow stop in my 1999 F150 the pedal gets soft and vibrates. It does not do it when I come down hard on the pedal. It feels like the anti-lock system coming on. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Your rotors could be a bit warped. Just enough to feel puslatile braking through the pedal when applying light pressure. Have a brake shop check them with a run-out gauge.
       Rotors can warp when brakes get overheated, or if the lug nuts are overtightened.
  • greatskott1greatskott1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 new body style F-150. State law in Georgia says that you are not required to wear a seat belt in an open bed truck, therefore if I don't wanna wear the seat belt, I don't. If you do not put the belt on however the d@mn thing dings for 5 or 6 minutes! It drives me and everyone who rides with me crazy! I LOVE this truck! But somethings gotta give with this dinging!

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks!
    Scott
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    If it can be done it's probably not as easy as putting on the seatbelt.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    In the owner's manual it has instructions on how to deactivate the audible fasten seatbelt reminder. You have to turn the key on and off and fasten and unfasten the buckle in a particular sequence.
  • greatskott1greatskott1 Member Posts: 2
    #698 of 698 Re: How do I get rid of that d@mn seat belt ding? [greatskott1] by cornellpinoy Sep 06, 2004 (12:05 am)

In the owner's manual it has instructions on how to deactivate the audible fasten seatbelt reminder. You have to turn the key on and off and fasten and unfasten the buckle in a particular sequence.
    >>>>>>
    Great! I'll look for it first thing in the morning. Thanks for the help!

Scott
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Easy, tort reform!

;)
  • burtoburto Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2004 (14,000 miles)F150 that stalls on a daily basis. It stalls when at idle and and the engine safty mode comes on at any speed shutting down the gas pedal. The Fail Safe Engine Mode indicator comes on all time as well and it shuts of the gas supply to the engine allowing it to idle only? It's been checked out now two times and the Ford dealer resets the computer and gives it back to me???? Anyone else encounter this or know what the cause might be,because the dealer doesn't know???
  • burtoburto Member Posts: 2
    I just noticed your message and posted a simular one today with the same problem! My 2004 F150 stalls on a daily basis as well as the Engine Fail Safty Mode turning on (which shuts off the gas pedal function). I've had the problem now since July and the dealer has reset the computer twice and it's in again today for the same reason. I hope this download comes soon becuse my truck is not reliable the way it is!!
  • nicholemarienicholemarie Member Posts: 1
    this truck is sitting at my dealership with the engine pulled and the cost is 5000.00 that i dont have and ford won't stand behind it
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    what failed in the engine?how long do you think ford should stand by it?it is nearly eight years old.
    You haven't given much detail about the actual problem with the engine in that one sentence!

Perhaps you could expand a little, so we could make more sense of the whole situation?

Things like symptoms, mileage, how the dealer got to pull the engine, would be a good start.
  • flowerpowerflowerpower Member Posts: 14
    hi,i have a 2001 f-150,supercab,i have noticed extreme jumping that seems to come from the rear of my pick-up. i thought it was the worn tires,but i had them recently replaced.the pick-up had 34k when i bought it this year,now it has 45k on it,it has had this problem since i ve owned it. this problem i ve noticed seem to happen at 70mph on highways that have washboard bumps on them. its not as bad at 55mph,but ive noticed other pickups in front or behind of me that seem to be riding smooth,my headlights shining on other vehicles on the road are constantly jiggling,has anyone else had this problem,thanks for any information or help.
  • wapiticoswapiticos Member Posts: 1
    Same situation here.. '01 F150 Supercrew - with around 45K miles. I think it is the shocks. Had the front shocks replaced at around 20K miles after the front tires were ruined. Mechanic told me that Ford puts on the worst factory shocks and has seen some last less than 15K miles. Probably time to get the rears replaced now.

Has anybody else experienced this?
  • todd1965todd1965 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2003 Ford F-150 SC with 24K, when do I change the transmission fluid.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Jumping - What is the pressure in your tires, especially the rear ones? Compared to the recommendation pressure on the door tag?

Transmission - Read your owners manual. The 'Maintenance' section will specify when the transmission fluid is to be changed.
  • schris4uaschris4ua Member Posts: 2
    I have just recently bought a pre-owned 2003 F-150 4x4 XLT with the XTR package. The dealership where I bought the truck didn't know what the XTR package is. Does anyone on here have any information that would help me understand what I have?
  • schris4uaschris4ua Member Posts: 2
    I have just recently purchased an F-150 supercab 4x4 XLT with the XTR package. I bought this vehicle from a dealership which sells a lot of different models of used cars. They couldn't tell me everything about my truck like a window sticker would. Is there anywhere that I could obtain this kind of information on my truck through my vin # ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    schris4ua

can't you use Edmunds used car page and look up this exact model to determine what comes standard with the XTR package?
  • scojamscojam Member Posts: 1
    I have an 1994 F150, 180,000 kms, auto trans. Four months ago it started shifting hard into 3rd. The fluid contained bubbles. I changed the fluid and filter and it worked fine. It is starting to shift hard again into 2nd and 3rd usually after it has heated up. There are no bubbles in the fluid now. Any comments, or suggestions would greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Has it been serviced regularly, i.e. regular filter and fluid changes and band adjustments? If not, with the mileage you have, don't be surprised if it needs a rebuild.
  • epbrezepbrez Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F150 and have recently noticed a howling sound while accelerating. I have 10000 mile on it currently. The dealer said it is a known problem with the rear axle in some way, cant remember their exact wording. They told me that Ford engineering is working on a fix.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
This discussion has been closed.