Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• gfraigungfraigun Member Posts: 70
    Yes, I understand that about the V4/Tow mode that it switches the shift point and puts the engine in a higher RPM. However, I've been playing with it, and on a steady speed drive with slight uphills the Tahoe will stay in V4 mode even on the uphills and I've noticed a slightly higher mpg when doing this vs. letting it stay in V8 mode with no tow mode on. Is it something I'm going to do by habit, no, not in the San Fernando Valley, just too much stop and go traffic.
  • junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Steve,
    Thanks for the feedback on E-85, I have also tried it but must admit I have not received the same results. I also live in up-state NY (Guilderland) and my 07 Tahoe only has 18K on the clock. My BEST tank on Reg Gas was 17.9 with an average of 15.4 I just returned from a trip to NC,1900 miles, best tank, 16.4, worst tank 14.2 again on Reg gas, we won’t talk about the numbers when running E-85, as they are to depressing. I have an open case with GM, actually the Tahoe goes in for service next week, they are going to change several sensors and the body control module. The service manager drove it for a week with similar results, so we both are convinced it is not driver related. Are you running 3:73’s or 4:10’s ? FYI, still no word on the wipers, but at least it stopped snowing for a while. George
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I know there are a few E85 stations in my area, but I've yet to try it. I like the idea. It looks like E85 is about 15-20% less expensive than gasoline, so I'd need to see about 13 mpg in mixed driving to break even. Looking forward to trying it out sometime soon.
  • mark133mark133 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Steve name is Mark on this end. Im from the Albany area
    What dealer do you recommend I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 Suburban for my business. I had a problem with Denooyer so wont go there any other thoughts
    thanks
  • gregeasgregeas Member Posts: 2
    So far I have put about 3k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ. First, I'll say that I think it's a big step up from the two Eddie Bauer Expeditions I owned previously. The Tahoe is better looking (much), smoother riding, and more intelligently designed across the board. The Tahoe's interior space seems smaller, but other than that the only drawback versus the Expedition is the third-row seat design. The fold-flat seat in the Expedition is much better than the heavy removable one in the Tahoe.

On highway trips I've gotten up to 19 MPG, which is pretty damn good.

I've had two problems so far: a dead battery (for no reason -- it was so dead that jump starting wouldn't help, and I had to call OnStar) and an *extremely* annoying rattle in the headliner. I'm taking it in next week to have the dealer fix the rattle.

Here's my question: has anyone tried driving offroad, and specifically on the beach, with the factory 20" wheels? I've read that the bigger sized wheels do not perform as well in off-road conditions. One of the reasons I bought the Tahoe was for its 4WD performance (versus, say, the Yulon Denali with AWD), and I'm disappointed that the 20" wheels, which I didn't really want, can hinder performance. Any thoughts here?
  • saratogalakesaratogalake Member Posts: 19
    Hi Mark, I purchased mine from Maltbie Chevrolet :) in Lake George.. Got the best deal. I ordered mine as there were none on the lot last june. Mine will be one year old on June 30th.. Very happy so far.. Good Luck..
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    I had that same "extremely annoying" rattle in the head liner, over the 3rd row seat, too. I took it in to the dealer and 2 hours after I dropped it off, I get a call saying they didn't want to take the head liner down for fear of causing more problems. Once I convinced them that this isn't brain surgery, I said that all they really need to do is remove the dome light and insert as much foam packing (like used in packages), 1 1/2 to 2 inches in thickness. It's the HVAC duct work and/or wiring bundles that are bouncing around in there. I would have done it myself if I was sure I wouldn't have accidentally broken the dome light trying to remove it. It took them all of 10 minutes to find some foam from a box in the parts department and do the job itself. Haven't heard a rattle since!

As for your wheels comment; I've got a Z71 which has the 18" wheels, which I presume is better for off-road driving and why that size is what comes with the Z. So maybe you could get OEM Chevy 18" wheels for your off-road adventures and keep the 20"ers for other times. Just a thought. The 18'ers that come with the Z71 ride surprisingly smooth compared to my former 2004 Z71. I guess it's all in the new suspension system on the 2007 models.

Tom S.
    Mark,

I am in Guilderland, and have purchased my last 3 Tahoes from Hand Motors in Manchester VT, give Chris a call, he will bend over backwards for your out of town business. I also purchased a set of factory 17 inch wheels and sensors last year that I did not use, as the 20's are working fine for my needs. If you are going to purchase smaller wheels, maybe we can work a deal. 19 MPG sounds good, what gears are you running 3:73's or 4:10's ? George
    Steve,
    Do you know what gears you are running? 3:73's or 4:10's ? Thanks George
  • rockman59rockman59 Member Posts: 250
    gregeas said: Here's my question: has anyone tried driving offroad, and specifically on the beach, with the factory 20" wheels? I've read that the bigger sized wheels do not perform as well in off-road conditions.
    Those big tires on big wheels do not work well in four wheel drive situations such as sand, mud, or snow. They are so wide that they just push too much of the muck and don't plow thru like a narrower tire/wheel combination would. The wide set-up also reduces gas mileage somewhat and can be noisier at freeway speeds. Narrower combinations don't look as good but they do work better under real driving and 4WD conditions.
  • stoli2stoli2 Member Posts: 6
    Many thanks do they have a good selection of suburbans George
  • gregeasgregeas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the ideas about the headliner rattle and tires.

It is tempting to try to remove the dome light and stuff some padding in there, but I don't see an obvious way to pop the thing off.

As for the wheels, it looks like I'll have to stay off the beach...

I'm in NYC/eastern LI and have yet to see any E85 in the wild.
  • ukon07ukon07 Member Posts: 5
    Help me out...Does anyone know if the bulb # is the H11 or H13 for the low beam? Here is what I recieved from Sylvania...

You will first want to confirm that your vehicle does in fact use part
    number H13 in its headlight application. The last time we spoke you
    stated that the dealership told you that part number 9005XS was the high
    beam and H11 was the low beam so it's possible that the information in
    our lamp replacement guide is inaccurate.

If your vehicle does in fact use part H13 in its headlight application,
    part H13ST would be the correct part number to upgrade to SilverStar.
    This part is being sold by the following retailers:

Advance Auto Parts
    AutoZone
    GI Joe's
    O'Reilly Auto Parts
    Rockman,

I believe it is in the owners manual, but it might have been from my dealer or from the brosures.. But apparently you shouldn't go off road at all with 20 inch wheels.... Becausethe actual rubber is shallow you lose a lot of the shock absorbing that 17inch wheels have...
    Attn: gfraigun....Rockman here....I was replying to the message left by gregeas about his 20" wheels. Perhaps he will see your note about the owner's manual. 20" wheel and tire combinations are certainly not made for off roading.
  • stoli2stoli2 Member Posts: 6
    Do any of you think a black suburban with 20 inch wheels would be inappropriate to use for a funeral home. Any wheel suggestions that would be a bit more subtle would help
    Thanks
  • rjt427rjt427 Member Posts: 26
    On my 07 Tahoe can the power door locks be shut down to not lock at all. I tryed to shut them off but they come on after the truck is moving. Thanks Bob
    I suppose it depends on what the black suburban will be used for at the funeral home.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    I have an 07 Yukon Denali, and tried to do the same thing; but the only options available is to either lock doors when in gear or otherwise once the truck is moving...
    Nothing for not locking them doors at all in my case, I think your's is in the same situation.
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    Yeah, there's no way to turn off atuo lock like in a Ford. Really annoying!!
    Thanks for the reply.......Now if I could only find splash guards to fit with my running boards that go up and down,does anyone have a ideals.....
    By saying "... find splash guards to fit with my running boards that go up and down..." were you saying that you have one of those automatic retract running boards? If yes, I have not seen any splash guards that fits yet. But, try contact Husky and see. Good Luck!

http://www.huskyliners.com/mudguards.html
    Those are the ones I am talking about,chevy does not make anything to fit as of now,,,
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    I doubt that they'll be able to fit a true molded one in with the retractable boards. They (GM) do have a flat one that might work on the fronts.
    Yea thats all I can do for now,is try to use flat ones in the front. I dont want to chip the sides all up.
    I agree. That was one of the problems I saw with the retractables was that you lose the side protection.
    I was working on them last nite, I think I can make them work. I used a hair dryed to bend them, with a little cuting here and there they should work.
    Which ones are you modding?
    They were flat ones that I picked up from the parts store....
  • ukon07ukon07 Member Posts: 5
    I have tried 3x to remove the headlights with no luck. I have contacted the dealer and they were no help at all. Does anyone know how to do it or could point me in the right direction of getting a book. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED! :confuse:
  • dmyer3dmyer3 Member Posts: 17
    I don't know where you are coming from on this 20" tire information. There is nothing in my owner's manual that states 20" tires are unsuitable for off roading. They seem perfectly fine to me, on road or off.
    Don
  • firesourcefiresource Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone found a reputable online source for 2007 OEM Tahoe Seat Covers (GM part #'s 12499941 and 12499916) for the Front Bucket Seats and 2nd Row 60/40 split seats?

I have found a wide variety of prices online ranging from $130 - $170 each >>> however none of the sites I have contacted will allow returns (they all consider them special orders) and NONE of them have pictures in the correct color --- Light / Dark Cashmere. Obviously so long as they fit and the color is correct - I do not plan to return, but spending $300+ on items you can see and can't return is difficult.

Any help is appreciated!
    Like I said when I made the statement, I wasn't sure if it was the Dealer or the Manual, but I was told it isn't recommended to go off road on the 20" wheel... Didn't say it was impossible..
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    Page 501 of the manual says:

20-Inch Tires
    If your vehicle has the optional 20-inch P275/55R20 size tires, they are classified as touring tires and are designed for on road use. The low-profile, wide tread design is not recommended for off-road driving. See Off-Road Driving on page 367, for additional information.
    There is nothing in my owner's manual that states 20" tires are unsuitable for off roading. They seem perfectly fine to me, on road or off.
    Then you are not doing any serious off roading. The 20" tire going thru mud or snow is like dragging a surfboard sideways thru the water. It just doesn't work well. The tire tread is way too wide and the sidewall is way too short to work well in limited traction situations. But if it seems OK to you....well, then, go have some fun.
  • bk777bk777 Member Posts: 32
    That opinion may be coming from...well...a vacuum. There is no more technical relevance to it...than just any other personal opinion. Your favorable experience with the 20" set-up is a far better indication of suitabilty....IMHO.
    There's really no need to argue over it... if someone wants to go off road on 20" tires let them, its their truck...
    ukon07, to remove the entire headlight assembly, there are:
    1. Two (2) forward wheelhousing liner screws to remove
    2. Two (2) washer container push pins to remove
    then you need to open the hood to work the rest:
    3. I counted Six (6) upper fascia bolts need to be removed
    4. One (1) lower fascia bolt to remove
    5. Two (2) fascia to fender bolts (seems only need to loosen rather than totally removed)
    6. Two (2) Lower rear fascia bolts to remove from support bracket
    7. Two (2) upper headlamps bolts to remove
    From this point on, I can not see if there are other bolts/screws that are hidden yet still need to be loosened or removed; but, it looks this is where you need to grab and pull the headlight housing straight out until it disengages from the fender attachment bracket and the locating tab, and the 2 locating pins disengage from the radiator support, and finally the electrical connections... Becareful as the plastic can crack and break easily, especially if is any more screw yet to be removed! Hope this helps a little.

Good Luck and have Fun!

May I ask why do you want to remove the headlight assembly?
    I hope I did not misunderstand your question..
    I checked my manual and those pages don't say anything about 20" tires. Just refers to tire replacement on pg. 501 and general off roading advice on 327. We must have 2 different manuals. My manual came with the Yukon in May, '06.
    Someone mentioned something about an arguement and if I sounded like I wanted to argue please accept my apology-my comments were not meant that way.
    I am just confused I guess.
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    I'm sorry, I was reading from the Tahoe manual. I guess GMC have different (professional grade) writers.
  • saratogalakesaratogalake Member Posts: 19
    I have forsale, A brand new, wood grained covered console It came out a a new 2007 Surburban. The car is 4 days old. It was replaced with the open style found in most 2007's. It will fit all 2007 Tahoe/Yukon and Surburban/Yukon XL vehicles. Just pop your old one out and pop this one in. Asking $55 shipped in the lower 48 states. Please call 518-832-0011 for info. I'll be glad to supply a digital photo.

Thanks Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Wouldn't you think they would be the same? Oh well they didn't ask me to help write manuals.
    I should have stated that my off-roading is pretty mild stuff. Inspecting farm land and deer hunting sites is about it. No rock climbing or anything like that.
    Thanks martin22.
  • kimdvm1kimdvm1 Member Posts: 37
    I just had the Super Lockpick (which is a Gen3 lockpick plus OnStar Lockpick for bluetooth) installed, along with a Parrot Bluetooth system. Everything works great and I enjoy it except... my AM radio now has severe interference. I listen to talk radio a lot, so this is annoying.

The installer agreed to look at it to see if they loosened the AM antenna, but I am nervous that this is going to be some kind of unknown interference from the Lockpick.

Anybody else seen this?

Kim
    Hey, does anyone know if installing a third party component changes or voids the warranty?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It depends.

Warranty Denied? (SEMA)
    It depends. If the dealer can show that the third party component contributed to the failure, then yes it does.
  • gatahoe07gatahoe07 Member Posts: 1
    Silly question driving me crazy - how do you put a tag on the front bumper? No holes - nothing in owner's manual I can find.

2007 LT - owned 2 weeks - love it, love it, love it
  • romosromos Member Posts: 2
    Hey Dmyer,

I have a 07 Yukon SLT purchased in July 2006. In my version of the Yukon manual (part# 15854793), the paragraph regarding 20" tires is listed on page 483. In essence, it states that the 20" tires are designed for on road use and not recommended for off-road driving.

Hope this helps.
    Hi romos,
    Thanks for the tip. I'm at tne office now but will check my manual this PM.
    Don
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I am considering trading my 2001 2WD Tahoe on a 2007 4x4 - I have looked at the on-line pictures -

Looks like the LT3 package has what we want - I may add the Z-71 option

My questions -
    All the pictures show a black dash - I would rather not have black - are there any other color choices (LT3 with or W/O Z-71 package)

I have a car now with a black interior - its hot as hell - compared to our other vehicles.

How stiff is the ride of the Z-71 package -
This discussion has been closed.