Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• fordguy1fordguy1 Member Posts: 4
    well sorry i havent gotten back to your ideas but i have been working hard on it and the problem was when i installed the motor i messed up and didnt have the torque conveter all the way in now it turns over free as a bird but the timing is kicking my butt, it wants to start but back fires and wont then turns over hard for a sec then fires hard again but will mot stay running i know my timing is off any ideas on how to set timing on this motor i have been told there are many diffrent firing orders but im not sure which one will work i narrowed it down to two 15426378 or 13726548 ?? i tried both then some guy told me that the damper slipped ?? and zero is not tdc how do i time this thing is there any easy ways ??? btw your feedback was great and it would have helped if it wasnt for my screw up (the mistakes i make now will pay off) :) thanks
  • fordguy1fordguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Does your truck have ABS front and rear sometimes you get a pulse from the ABS , the ABS is to ensure when you hit the brakes on ice or snow or DEER the brakes dont lock up and cause you to slid , i hope this helps a little :)
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Firing order for the 351W is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

Timing is always measured starting from when #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. Check to see if the mark on the damper indicates correctly when the engine is set in this position. Also check that the distributer gear isn't off by a tooth. The rotor arm should be pointing at #1 post on the cap when the engine's at TDC as detailed above.

Good luck.
  • carnuts1carnuts1 Member Posts: 7
    Yet the Consumer Reports survey placed the company's new Ford F-150 pickup in the least reliable column, along with the Jaguar X-Type and S-Type sedans, produced by its British subsidiary. Though the findings are contrary to other consumer feedback, Kozleski said Ford "will go back and see what we can learn from the results."
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0411/09/b01-328882.htm
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Fordgirl,
        Yeah a lot of Superduties have issue of pulsating brakes. The pulsation is result of heating up the brakes and causing the rotors to distort in some fashion. Has vehicle been used for towing? If so, long downhills with brakes applied can cause them to overheat and results in warping.
      Another cause could be the Brake Caliper sticking just a miniscule amount and not allowing the pads to retract fully. As a result the pad drags ever so slightly on the rotor and causes abberations in its surface that eventually translate into pulsations on regular braking.
        Basically, if you've got a caliper problem, you can turn the rotors and it will stop the pulsing symptoms at least for a while. However, seems a lot of Superduty owners report the problem returns 5-10K miles later. They only fixed the symptom and not the cause of the problem. In this case the brake caliper needs some help. Many times the fix is as simple as to make sure caliper is free from any rust , that the slide pins are moving freely, that the brake piston can travel through it's full range, and especially that all moving brake parts are properly lubed.
      If pulsing doesn't go away, people report needing both new calipers and rotors - preferably ones that are extra good at dissipating heat.
        I've been lucky with my truck - no pulsing problems whatsoever. (Ruptured a brake line once and got a real thrill when I tried to stop the beast.)
    Put on new pads, turned front rotors slightly, and cleaned and lubed the calipers about 3 months ago, and so far so good.
  • bwepbwep Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 F150 supercrew lariat 4x4. This truck has a wind noise coming from front windshield starting at 40mph. Dealership re sealed front fog lights claiming this was common, no change after fix.Talked to ford rep, he states engineering problem 7-10 have this problem. They state there working on fix. Funny thing is I haven't herd anyone else complaining. Does any one else have this problem? Has anyone had it fixed?
  • nonameinplacenonameinplace Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 f150 supercrew that runs fine, but has an odometer glitch. It reads 95k miles, but I am at 45k miles in reality. It seems to be the top part of the electrical bar covers the top of the "4" and make it seem like a "9". I expect for the glitch to correct itself when I get past the number 5, however it is unnerving to see an incorrect odometer. Any help would be appreciated to correct this electrical computer digital odometer glitch.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    Uhhh...the "new" F150 has been in production barely a year. How can Consumer Reports conduct a reliability survey (which they say at the top of the article covers three years) on that truck? With creative statistics and speculation, I bet.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>>How can Consumer Reports conduct a reliability survey (which they say at the top of the article covers three years) on that truck?<<<

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Now you know that Consumers' Report is not trustworthy. But remember, sloppy and erroneous statistics works both ways.

Dusty
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    That there is some Consumer Reports conspiracy. It is just ridiculous, they have nothing to gain from it except lost magazine sales do to shoddy reporting practices. I clicked my way over to the Consumers Report website and read the paragraphs before the reliability scores are shown. It says,

"Reliability is an important concern for the new-car buyer, but a difficult quality to discern. CR's annual reliability surveys can help. Our latest survey, conducted in the spring of 2004, yielded information on 810,000 vehicles spanning the 1997 to 2004 model years. By looking at these data for past model years, we can predict how current models are likely to hold up."
    CR 2004

So in other words, the reliability calculated for the new F-150 is based on data collected from its release until the spring of this year. The only thing I don't think is right about Consumer Reports, is that with cars and car companies that have typically been very reliable i.e. Toyota and Honda, get a reliability score as soon as they leave the factory with a new design. With domestic car makers in particular, they stick a "NEW" in the reliability spot for their new vehicles. IMHO, all cars should get a "NEW." This being because Honda and even Toyota have released vehicles that have turned out to have more trouble than CR predicted, which no doubt misled people to buying one of those vehicles. It just isn't necessary to give vehicles a reliability rating until they have some kind of record with a particular model.
    To address another CR gripe. I hear people constantly say that their vehicle has been either much better or much worse than the reliability rating that CR gave their vehicle. This has been the case with even some of my vehicles (usually they are much better than CR would suggest), however the reliability ratings are just averages. So there will be vehicles out there that will bring the average down, and others that will bring the average down. I had a 1990 Dodge Caravan for 12 years. It had the 3.0L V6 and the Ultradrive 4-speed auto and the combo was a bomb according to CR. Instead the van went to 180,000 miles with very little trouble and never broke down, but a lot of burnt oil. However, everyone else in my family that owned one has had many issues with the engine and transmission on their vans. Just an example:)
    Anyway, maybe this will clear some stuff up, maybe it wont. Comments anyone?
    What I'd like to see is more detailed information on how the inevitable problems and defects are dealt with.

I'd love to get a new Ford truck, but Ford's many faceted approach to massaging warranty figures, and the local level dealers inability to fix recurring problems, completely scares me away from getting that new F series I hanker after.

I was lucky enough to buy a new F150 in '93 when Ford seemed to have its act together in both engineering and quality control. Sadly, I feel I'd need the luck of a lottery winner to get a similar vehicle today.
    "What I'd like to see is more detailed information on how the inevitable problems and defects are dealt with."

I agree, but they (CR) would need a whole other magazine to describe just a fraction of how that works. The thought is very cool however. A major flaw that I am not sure about how Consumer Reports deals with, is perception of problems and of brand loyalty and brand imaging. What I mean is, when a brand is imaged as being of high quality, then if a consumer encounters a problem with that "high quality" piece, they may think it is just a fluke and not report it as being a big deal on their annual CR questionnaire. Dealership experience also caused similar problems. If the dealership kisses your foot every time you have a problem, then it is possible that you might be less likely to report the problem. In reality, this should probably be more of a customer satisfaction issue, in which CR asks you, "what is the likeliness that you would purchase this vehicle again?" However, since the product is perceived to be of high quality, the problem may never get reported because in the mind of the consumer "this vehicle just doesn't have problems, my car is unique for having this issue."

If you do want a new F-150 there are many indicators that it is actually doing very well. I am just going to give you a few facts that I have run across.

Problem areas that I have seen with the new F-150 are mostly on 4x4 models and the issue(s) is/are vibration, and interior noises. That is pretty much it as far as consistent issues.

In CR along with their new reliability ratings are the customer satisfaction ratings. The biggest issue(s) in customer satisfaction with the new F-150 has been 1) Not enough power 2)13MPG average gas Mileage. With these two things in mind, the F-150 still gets very good customer satisfaction.

By todays ratings, the new F-150 would be much more reliable than your 93 would have been. Though if your 93 itself was close to perfect, then that would probably be hard to replicate, even today. When I say today's ratings, I mean that with the averages for today are better than they were then. For instance a truck back in the early 1990's that earned an average reliability rating, would today (if it were brand new) have a much worse than average reliability, because each year that the reliability average goes up, the bar is raised.

If you know you have a good Ford Service Dept. around that is half the problem solved. The other half of the problem (how good/bad the vehicle actually turns out to be) is much harder to find a solution to, seeing as how each vehicle, with each manufacturer is a gamble. Luck of the draw I guess. FWIW, the 2WD 2004 F-150 is the most reliable domestic pickup with an average reliability rating. However, the 4x4 version of the same truck is the least reliable pickup overall, but not by a huge margin. If Ford does with the F-150 like it does with the rest of its vehicles, both versions will be average by spring or this time next year.

Sorry for the long post, I didn't mean to type your ears off. Just a lot of information to convey.
  • crazyredmonkcrazyredmonk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for reply. Truck has new rebiult motor. clean TB / has new tps. Dont think it's anything basic.
    "For instance a truck back in the early 1990's that earned an average reliability rating, would today (if it were brand new) have a much worse than average reliability, because each year that the reliability average goes up, the bar is raised."

You may be confusing reliabiltiy with build quality or overall satisfaction. Reliability is number of problems encountered per vehicle, or expense of repairs, whatever the criteria. I don't think anyone has established that reliabiltiy has increased for Ford over the last ten years, that's really the heart of the debate.
    If Ford does with the F-150 like it does with the rest of its vehicles, both versions will be average by spring or this time next year.

That's the problem.............. I don't want to spend $30k+ for a truck that just about manages to pull itself up to 'average'!
    "That's the problem.............. I don't want to spend $30k+ for a truck that just about manages to pull itself up to 'average'!"

Understood:) I don't blame you, though if you are looking for a truck, the only option you have above average is the Tundra, next most reliable after that is the 2WD F-150. I wish there was some way I could post that stuff from CR here, but that isn't possible, at least I don't think. Anyway, maybe the new F-150 will reach the better than average marks that the previous generation 1997-2003 F-150's trucks did?

Wijoco:
    Respectfully, I don't think that I have the two confused. Over the past 10 and 20 years especially, all domestic automakers have become much more reliable (this being based on CR information). This can also be shown in JD Powers "initial" and "long-term" quality scores, though in an indirect way since reliability and quality are different in that a quality constructed car i.e. Audi line, can have poor reliability. If Ford reliability stayed the same or decreased over the past 10 years overall, Fords market share would most likely be decreasing rapidly (it has increased since July I do believe (15.00% in July to 16.60% now).

As for averages increasing since the early 1990's: What I mean is that as cars become more and more reliable (and they have) the average grows. So, say you bought a GMC Safari back in 1992, and when you purchased it, it had a reliability rating of average. Since GM has done very little to that van since then, with only tweaks to the engine, transmission and body. It now has much worse than average reliability, because it continued on with close to the same parts and quality to this date. Ford in contrast, has not done much to update its Econoline van since 1991 when the new body came out. However, it has received new engines and transmissions since then. It used to float between much worse than average reliability and worse than average, though despite the increased in averages over the past 13 years for that vehicle class, it now almost makes it to better than average reliability. Sorry these are the best examples I could think of.
    Anyway, this will either prove my point, or bring about more confusion, hehe.
  • houstonford04houstonford04 Member Posts: 1
    hey robs i have had the truck stall on me in traffic before. im at the red light and it stallss and in the message display center it says LOW OIL pressure, but i know it has nothing to do with the oil. what the dealer say the problem is? also was the computer module the culprit of your truck stX2alling? please respond because i will be taking my truck to the dealer this week.

2004 f150 lariat 4X2 5.4
  • ronm1ronm1 Member Posts: 5
    MY f-150 IS A SUPER CREW XLT WITH 5.4, AND 3:73 REAR AXLE.
    LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS DO LOTS OF OTHERS.tHE SELLING DEALER ASKED ME TO GIVE FORD 3 MONTHS TO COME UP WITH A FIX AND THEY WOULD EITHER GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK OR ANOTHER VEHICLE.
    OTHER PERSONS WITH THIS PROBLEM THAT I KNOW ABOUT ADVED THE FOLLOWING: ONE PERSON SAID THE DEFECTIVE VECHICLE PROCEDURE WORKED FOR HIM,AFTYER 10 MONTHS GOT HIS MONEY BACK FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING A BED LINER AND OTHER ITEMS HE HAD INSTALLED,(COST HIM A LITTLE FOR THE MILEAGE 13,000 MILES) ANOTHER PARTY WAS SUCCESSFUL IN TRADING FOR A F-250 COST HIM ABOUT $2,500 BUT IT HAD MORE STUFF THAN THE 150. SEVERAL YEARS AGO I HAD THE SAME REAR END PROBLEM WITH A USED CAR (MERCURY)AND AFTER TWO SETS OF GEARS, I INSTALLED A USED REAR END AND NO MORE NOISE.
    I OWNED A GARAGE IN THOSE DAYS AND WAS DETERMINED TO FIND WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. I FINALLY CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THE REAR END HOUSING WAS IMPROPERLY BORED IN RELATION TO THE PINION AND RING GEAR SUPPORTS EVEN THO THE PATTERN ON THE GEARS LOOKED GOOD, UNDER LOADING THEY DISTORTED AND CAUSED A HOWL. IT TELESCOPED THE NOISE UP THE DRIVE SHAFT WHERE IT BECAME OFFENSIVE. I ALSO HAVE A VIBRATION ON THE THROTTLE PEDAL AT 30 TO 45 UNDER LOAD,A MOTOR SO NOISY IT SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL AND A VERY ROUGH IDLE COMPARED TO MY 2001 5.4 CLUB CAB. (WISH I HAD IT BACK). I HAVE BEEN A FORD MAN ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE NEVER HAD A REASON TO COMPLAIN OTHER THAN TO THE DEALER. I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE HASN'T STARTED A CLASS ACTION SUIT.
  • ronm1ronm1 Member Posts: 5
    ALL I CAN SAY IS CAREFUL--I HAVE A 2004 F-150,WHITE XLT, 5.4, 3:73 GEARS, SUPERCREW--MOTOR IS ROUGH AND SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL WHEN IDELING IN MY GARAGE OR A FAST FOOD LINE. THE REAR END HOWLS UNDER LOAD FROM 40 TO 70 MPH (FORD CANT FIX ANY OF THIS)
    OTHER THAN THAT IT'S A GREAT TRUCK, GOOD RIDE, ACCELERATION,16 HIGHWAY MILES PER GALLON. I HAVE ALMOST 3000 MILES ON IT AND WILL MAKE YOU A HECK OF A DEAL IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE MARKET?
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    My '04 F150 w/ the v8 280 hsp gets 15 miles per gallon tops with mixed hwy and city driving (more hwy than city). I can't seem to go beyond 15 mpg even with HWY driving.

gas is now $2.30 gal in CA

ugh
    Well, thanks for the offer, but the rear end noise and vibes are something I want to avoid.

It's interesting that a major thrust of the advertising for the '04 F150 centers on the smooth ride (outboard shocks), and the quiet cab ('Quiet Metal' dash).............. the very things that most complaints seem to focus on!

Incidentally, I think your diagnosis of the rear end problems is on the right track. It's either that or a distortion of the housing under load, or possibly a weird harmonics issue.
  • f150doubterf150doubter Member Posts: 2
    Ford claims on their commercials that the cab on the new body style F-150 is quite and tight. I beg to differ.

This F-150 has had it's rear slider glass replaced and resealed. There is a squeak coming from the steering column. A rattle from the rear view mirror housing. A suspicious sound coming from the dash under the passenger side air bag that sounds like a nest of birds up in there.

Although no vehicle can be problem or squeak free, they shouldn't advertise something that is not totally accurate.

I should have bought the TITAN.
    Which goes to further confirm my views in the second paragraph of the post before yours.

However, I think you're being pretty optimistic to wish for truthful advertising!
    I tend to believe that there is a reason that the F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the world. It's not because every one of the owners loves vibrations, squeaks, rattles, and other assorted problems.

Mac24:
    If you are looking for reasons NOT to buy the F-150, what better place to look than a F-150 Problems board? Where this place has a whole whopping 790 posts since it was started in Dec of 2000. This number including many solutions to problems, and help from other posters.
    To an extent, I take your point. However, #1 in quantity doesn't necessarily equate to #1 in quality. In fact, it definitely doesn't in this case.

To be honest, I frequent this board in the hopes of hearing that Ford has found a fix for the recurring problems that are becoming evident on the new F150.

Not only are those problems being reported here, but also extensively elsewhere on the web. Further, five of the seven owners I know personally are experiencing either axle noise, vibes, dash creaks and rattles, or a combination thereof. There are two local dealers, neither of whom can provide a fix. Apparently Ford know of the problem and are working on a fix. The trouble is, this has been the answer for several months. Vehicles continue to be sold, the same problems continue to surface.

As you say, the number of posts (here) is small compared to the number of trucks sold. However, if these NVH posts were just a small part of the random problems that every manufacturer has, why aren't we seeing an equal number of complaints about mirrors, seats, electrics, transmissions, engines, etc., etc.

Ford used to be able to build trucks without these basic problems, so why shouldn't I feel put out that they can't manage it now? I want to be proud of the truck I buy. I want to buy a Ford. At the moment, unfortunately, I can't reconcile those two statements.
    I am not trying to pound Ford home just because (insert any reason here). I just don't feel like it is being justly represented. However, if you do know many people that are having problems then I can understand 100% the situation you are in.

On Quantity doesn't equal Quality, I do believe this to be true, however it is often the case that Quality does equal Quantity. In that a higher quantity is sold because it is passed on or perceived that the vehicle has higher quality. For instance, Toyota Camry is the best selling car in the U.S., mostly likely because it is of high quality and reliability. Same goes for the Honda Civic, Ford Escape, Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer and other best sellers of the auto industry segments.
    Anyway, I was just offering that whole example (why F-150 is the best selling vehicle) as a reason why it (the F-150) might not be as bad as it seems. If you want another source of feedback on the F-150, go to the "New" car tab at the top of edmunds here and select "Ford" and then the F-150. There you can read hundreds of owners experiences. It seems for the most part that owners are very satisfied (9.2 score out of 10).

Just some thoughts, I wish you the best with your truck dilemma. I am sure sooner or later you will find the right ride:) As for Ford, maybe next time?
    Total non-sequitur.

Technological changes and problems per vehicle are not the same. If anything, an increase in changes increases the probability of quality mistakes. The Astro and Econoline example doesn't wash (partly because you're wrong about the Astro being unchanged). Again, "quality" or "customer satisfaction" ratings are not the same as reliability/problems per vehicle.

"If Ford reliability stayed the same or decreased over the past 10 years overall, Fords market share would most likely be decreasing rapidly (it has increased since July I do believe (15.00% in July to 16.60% now)."

How, to prove your point, do you say "If...past 10 years, then...past 6 months"??? Huh?
    Ford's market share HAS decreased over the past ten years!

The whole problem is that automotive technology is changing at a faster rate each year. The treadmill is not only spinning faster each year, it's increasing *at a faster rate*. The Japanese have perfected their processes to the point that they can keep up with the changes and still maintain their quality. Americans are improving their processes, but still can't keep up with the higher rate of change. They're running faster and still losing ground.
    Hmmm, well you do bring up some good points/mistakes from my post. Though I agree that the Astro/Safari twins have changed (body, brakes(2003), AWD system, and a few others). Other major components of the suspension, transmission, electrical motors are all the same. I used those vehicles as examples, because while they have changed, they have changed very little.
    I am not sure why you think that I keep referring to customer satisfaction however. If that was what I was referring to, the average would have stayed the same for both vehicles (Safari and Econoline) My point was, that if you could take a brand new 1992 Safari, and a 1992 Econoline van, they would be less reliable than a unit made today in 2004 with both of them being close to the way they were then (again, not completely the same, but very close). Call me an optimist if you like, but all domestic automakers have improved their quality over the past 10 years. I gave a couple of examples to back this up (JD power reliability, and Consumer Reports).

As for this comment:
    'How, to prove your point, do you say "If...past 10 years, then...past 6 months"??? Huh?
    Ford's market share HAS decreased over the past ten years!'

Good question, bad comparison.
    You are correct about Fords market share decreasing over the past 10 years. Though than happens when competitors grow as well. Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hundai, are all now much bigger than they were before due to increased product offerings, and yes of coarse, due to higher sales as well. Such is the great world of free trade and competition. All we need is a few hundred more Auto firms and we will have a perfectly competitive car market, were consumers will benefit and auto companies will be making zero economic profit. I don't think that any of the Big 3 automakers will ever see market share like they did even just 15 years ago. Anyway, I like a good challenge, even if it means I am wrong sometimes. Keeps the old noggin from turning to mush. Catch you later Wijoco :)
  • crab2crab2 Member Posts: 1
    I was given a f 350 lariat dually 1987 what kind of diesel is it. what is it worth thanks
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    I believe that truck should have an International 6.9 liter, 420ci, indirect injection, non-turbo charged engine in it.

What's it worth? I have no idea. Go into the used car valuation section here at Edmunds and see what it says.
    Regardless of the value, of the diesel motor is in good shape, you'll sell it easily. Those 80's IH diesels can roll up 500K+ miles if they're cared for and there's always someone looking for one as a work truck.
    "You are correct about Fords market share decreasing over the past 10 years. Though than happens when competitors grow as well. Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hundai, are all now much bigger than they were before due to increased product offerings, and yes of coarse, due to higher sales as well. Such is the great world of free trade and competition."

But that's the definition of market share. It's a percentage of 100, not number of vehicles sold. Ford loses, someone else gains. Now if you're talking cause and effect here, like "Did customers walk away from Ford or did they walk towards Toyota?" then that's another story. Based on my own personal experience and talking with a lot of other current and past Ford owners, quality is at least part of the problem.
    "Based on my own personal experience and talking with a lot of other current and past Ford owners, quality is at least part of the problem."

I guess it has a lot to do with what vehicles you are talking about. Only rotten 1990's Ford vehicle I am aware of is the 1995-1997 Windstar.

More Recently the 2000-2002 Focus, and the 2001 Escape.
  • robsrobs Member Posts: 4
    The computer module was the problem. They had to replace it and now I hear there are problems with the clutch plates in the rear diff. They are the cause of my apparent shifting and thumping on acceleration.They must be fixed as well. It has not stalled on me since the module was replaced and I hope they can correct the other minor issues next week when I take it in. There should be bulletins released regarding those problems and they should be aware of them. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.
  • robsrobs Member Posts: 4
    Just advising everyone that apparently there could be an a problem with the clutch plates in the rear diff in the 04 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with a 5.4 l engine. I dont know if it applies to all models but if you feel like a rear end shift followed by a thumping upon acceleration from a stop, that could be the problem. I'm taking my truck in this week so I will post my findings. Just a heads up if any of you are having this problem. There should be bulletins at your dealer.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    For those of us who want more power, and for buyers (i have talked to a few) who switched to the Nissan because of power alone, is there any whay that ford could just put the 355hp V10 into the F150??? This should solve all power questions off the bat.
    Do it in a King Ranch or Lariat trim. What do you think guys would this not be a cheap (they already have the engine) and easy way of fixing this mess?
    Just suggesting thats all. I know its the best, just not the fastest. But Ford can fix that.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    I have the V10 in an F350 - it can be knuckle buster to work on the back half of this engine even in the Superduty engine compartment. Pulling the last two coils and plugs was an adventure. A V10 in the smaller F150 would be real interesting....

If you want more power - order an F150 XLT with an 8' bed. That allows you to order the "heavy payload package" and gives you the 5.4L V8 with the 4.10:1 rear end. The 5.4 with the higher rear end ratio, should move out quite well in the F150.

If you want the Lariat or King Ranch trim, then you'll have to come up with $ to change out the rear end with aftermarket gears,
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Anyone experience front rotor problems with the current generation F150?

A friend has an 04 reg cab and it already has a grove in the front rotors before he reached 3k miles.
    I've got just over 4k miles on my '04 F150 and the stering wheel shimmies when braking moderately down hill. It's not a good sign.

I'm going to make sure I report it with my next oil change cause I had a friend tell me his '02 needed new rotors after 15k miles. Ford told him "it happens" - wound up being a $500 brake job.
  • majake89majake89 Member Posts: 1
    I have a f150 super crew since the day i bought it has a vibration above 65mph they have replaced 6 tires on the truck and have not come close to fixing the problem. the truck has been in the dealership several times with no satisfaction from them or the factory. I have hired a lawyer and will try and sue ford.
  • santossantos Member Posts: 2
    there's TSB #0416 on this subject.
    Rear end of 4x4's (2004) is messed up!!!
  • alkanxalkanx Member Posts: 69
    I test drove many current gen F-150 Lariats before I purchased one. Almost all 4X4 models had a steering shimmy issue. In my opinion there is more to it than just wheels/tires, I have a hunch it is drive shafts. I would advice all folks against the purchase of a 4X4 F-150. Instead get a 4X2 with a limited slip. I had a Nissan Pathfinder 2001 4X4, it was plagued with the same vibration issues.

There were service bulletins to road force all wheels/tires, the max force variation was 10 pounds or less, otherwise if would be felt in the steering, plus some adjustments in the rack & pinion assembly.

I test drove 3 Toyota Tundra(s) 4X4 before I got Ford, they had the same vib sickness. Look in the Tundra board, search for the word vibration or shimmy, you will be surprised. I got a new 5.4L F-150 4X2 SupCr back in August (this year), I have already got 11k miles on it, no vib problems & I have not balanced or rotated the tires.

AL.
  • sbc02esbc02e Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a used 2002 F-150, 4X4 and I also have the shimmying in the steering wheel when I break. It is significantly greater at higher speeds and breaking downhill. My guess is a warped rotor. Will have dealer repair under certified used vehicle warranty. I also from time to time notice a pop in the tranny when I accelerate and drop a gear, particularly dropping from 3rd to 2nd. Anyone else?
  • pckncottonpckncotton Member Posts: 2
    Have you had a problem with the truck shaking over 50 mph? The dealer has a list of about 8-9 on a fix "wait" list since they do not know what is causing the problem. Our F-150 was purchased less than 30 days ago and they did not disclose this to us! Anyone have any suggestions?
  • pckncottonpckncotton Member Posts: 2
    We have 2004 F-150 bought less than 30 days ago. It doesn't shimmy, it shakes! Anything over 50 mph and the steering wheel starts shaking bad. I took it in only to be told that it cannot be fixed and was put on a wait list for when they figure out what is wrong with the truck. I was livid. "You sold my husband a truck knowing there were problems with it?" I asked. I was told that salesmen would not know of any problem. The door to the showroom was less than 15 feet, I would think they could communicate. I have lodged a complaint with Ford, the dealer and checked our lemon law for Ohio and contacted a lawyer. I have no intention of driving a truck that could be the next "Explorer" with wheels falling off! The dealer was unconcerned, with an "oh, well, we will let you know if Ford figures it out". Can you believe it?!
    are you driving a 4x4?

can I believe a car dealer would sell you a car without telling you there might be a problem?

why yes - you're talking about one of the lower common species that walk the planet.
    What your dealership said was absurd. I would take the truck back and tell them to road force balance the tires. Shaking at higher speeds is a big indication of unbalanced tires. Especially when it is mostly felt in the steering wheel. Since your F-150 is a 2004, that tell me that it has been sitting on the dealers lot for at least 4 months (2005's come out in Sept 2004). This leads to flat spots in the tires when vehicles sit in one spot for a while with a lot of weight on them.
  • mjkrammjkram Member Posts: 9
    I bought an '04 SuperCrew 4x2 in August and beginning with the test drive felt a vibration at 40-50 mph. The salesman explained it was likely from "flat spots" on the tires from sitting in the lot so long. I bought the truck. The vibration continued. I had a dealer check it twice and both times they rebalanced the tires but the problem remained. Next I bought a new set of tires and wheels, and it still vibrated exactly as before. Now the dealer would not check it again because it didn't have the original wheels and tires! They suggested I take it back to the dealer where it was purchased. I did. Immediately they told me it was the driveshaft, and they would replace it. This SOLVED the problem. Drives smooth as butter now. (And I'm the happiest guy in Harris county.)
  • swampdogswampdog Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 f-150 with 3800 miles. Already the rotors are scared. I brought it back to the dealer and they said they won't fix because it preforms up to Fords standards. So if you are thinking about buying a new f-150 or already have one CHECK THE FRONT ROTORS!! Ford has a bad batch of rotors & they want to stick you with the bill. I also have problems with my idle, a/c, & radio? What's next? Oh Yeah, your brake warranty runs out after 1yr. or 18,000 miles.
    swampdog

what do you mean by "scared"?

and why isn't is covered by the "brake" warranty?

btw; I've never heard of a brake warranty - where did you find info. on that?
This discussion has been closed.