Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• texaspilottexaspilot Member Posts: 13
    I have the 5.3 and yes, it is the flex fuel, which also kicks down to 4.
  • eximportguyeximportguy Member Posts: 6
    We have high winds in West texas which affects mpg quite a bit. Going 72 mph on cruise I usually get 19.6 mpg. City is usually 16-17 mpg. Much better than many fancy imports like Land Rover, Seqouia....Usually stays in V8 mode except for downhill cruising or tail wind. With tail wind I can get upto 28-30 mpg going 72mph. I wish the AFM was less sensitive in switching to V8 so quickly. Anyone have any ideas how to do that? There has to be a way to tune the computer not to be so sensitive. What a beautiful SUV though. I love it. :)
  • gfraigungfraigun Member Posts: 70
    There was a recall or software upgrade on the tahoe over a year ago that supposedly adjusted the way the V8/V4 works. I'm sure you probably have installed already, but you may want to ask. However, I agree, even after the upgrade I think the truck kicks into V8 mode prematurely and sometimes even when it doesn't need to...
  • sportfish1sportfish1 Member Posts: 14
    All I can so is HOLY HANNA. I want your truck. How the he!! are you getting that good of mileage? The best I've done with my 07 Tahoe is around 18 to 18.5 on the road. I'm getting as low as 11 in town or worse. Now the times it has been worse was when we've had a cold snap like last week and the rest of this bloody winter and had to warm up the truck. But that's the price you pay for living in Minnesota in the winter. But my best mileage was this past summer going up to the lake on weekends. I was hoping that some of it was due to the fact that it hadn't even really been broke in yet. Guess I'll find out this coming summer and hope like mad that I go up to meet yours. Wanna trade???? :confuse:
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Look in your owners manual - page 433

It indicates the fuse for a battery feed and trailer brake are installed - in the under hood electrical center - but the wires are NOT CONNECTED

On page 434 it goes on to say The panel contains BLUNT CUT wires (as in not hooked up) for the trailer brake control -

Good luck.
  • buyer4suvbuyer4suv Member Posts: 26
    thought chevy folks might find this interesting....I ended up buying the Tahoe over the Sequoia for a few reasons: louder than the Tahoe, toyota satellite radio to use in-dash satellite functions costs $550 , remote start by Toyota is $650. I got a loaded Tahoe (lt3 package) with gps for $41.2k - about $2k less than a comparable sequoia without gps.

Also factoring into my decision was the overall size of the Toyota and the plastic dash. I could barely reach the scan function on the radio and I'm 6' tall! The trade off for me was the 3rd row doesn't fold flat in the Chevy but I'll just remove the seats if I need to. Still the Toyota is a very good vehicle but the price point and features weren't where I needed them to be even though I was getting quotes at $1k over invoice on the Sequoia.
    one thing I'm missing is any organized storage in my new tahoe...no coin holders, no dividers, no sunglass holder, no cubby holes up front, and just a big hole in the center arm rest in the front row that could hold a small child but can't organize 5 pencils...am I missing something? was/is my vehicle missing something(s)? if I'm not missing anything, what the heck are these designers smoking?

are there any good aftermarket accessories?
  • 73shark73shark Member Posts: 325
    Check out the console organizer, P/N 19166288 from GM. It works great!
    My Tahoe has close to 18K miles on it. The road is flat and I drive conservatively on hwy, always use cruise, have replaced OE air filter with KNN. Tire pressure around 33-34 psi. Most of my driving is hwy. In town I cruise to stop lights and it stays in V4 mode when not giving gas. I seriously think it can get 22 mpg if the AFM can be tweaked to delay the switch to V8 power, the SUV has more than enough power to stay in V4 mode more often. Some imports (My ex Land Rover LR3 V6 costs 45K dollars has 210 hp and it is as heavy as Tahoe, but only got 12 mpg in town and 17 on hwy, that and suspension faults and 1200 dollar brake jobs and wheel cupping...forced me to get rid of it). European cars are so high maintenance like some women are....ok easy now I mean that half heartedly.
    thanks...good tip...I'm going to buy that along with the coin holder...more than a little annoying that a $40k car doesn't come with these :mad:

...anybody buy a cell phone holder or sun glass holder that velcros to the side of the floor console?

how about solutions for the cargo area...I'd like to remove the 3rd row seats and use a one piece mat...it seems that the only solutions are to cut holes in the cargo liner to go over the rails (again, what is gm thinking?!)...are there any mats/solutions that will hold the new mat high enough so that it sits flat over the rails? or other ideas?

thanks, john.
    thanks...I'll look into that mat...I'll post back on the accessories I ordered including a billet grill, coin holder, etc...
  • steve666666steve666666 Member Posts: 2
    thanks, what rotors and calipers did you use. tired of the bad brakes. the factory doesn't want to talk about it. this is my 3rd yukon at the same dealer. go figurer
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    I highly recommend the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads with the DBA 4000XS Rotors combination. I have had my OEM rotors and pads completely replaced on my 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser for over 25K miles now, very very little amount of brake dust and stops my TLC fast and firm every time. I have not had brake fade once throughout my trips up and down the mountain roads between Vail and Denver... also all of my city drivings too of course... When the time comes to replace the rotors/brakes on my 07 Yukon Denali, I will use this combination again without a second thought.

BTW, the DBA 4000XS rotors look great too... be read for people ask you about where you got them if you do go with them rotors.
    Hey tony, I just had the same thing happen with the service the 4 wheel drive light. I brought mine in the next day and it turns out that there's a service update for the computer. They had to flash the drive with an updated firmware and it seems to be fine now. I just did this this past Wednesday 1-31-08. Bring your's in and I'm sure this is what they will do. Only took them about 20 minutes and I was on my way back home. Pretty quick fix. I do have to say that when mine went on, it felt like something was dragging me down. I for sure felt a difference when it came on. But all seems well now after the flash.
    Mark
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    Mark:

I would love to have her contact information. My email is pmccau@comcast.net. I will let you know how things work out. Thanks for your help
  • tuscotoddtuscotodd Member Posts: 50
    buyer4suv -
    I wondered the same thing as you about a cargo mat for the rear area with the 3rd row out and when I bought my Tahoe (I took delivery May 2006), so there weren't a whole of options at that time. I ended up buying the GM cargo mat designed for the LT1 package that doesn't have the third row seating. It is a plastic type mat (I got the GM rubber floor mats for the front and second row) - and surprisingly, it sits over the raised rails with no issue. I have stacked all sorts of heavy items on it and it always springs right back. I don't remember the number off the top of my head - but if you ask for it at your local parts counter, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
    Hope that helps!
    --
    TuscoTodd
  • tony20fantony20fan Member Posts: 30
    Thanks so much for this info. I will definitely make an appointment to have this fixed. I was afraid it would be something terribly complicated and I just don't always have the time to sit for a day and wait at a dealership.
    I have the upgraded Bose system in a 2008 LT3 Tahoe...and boy does it sound just very, very average even when playing XM radio stations......I swear there's no sound separation in instruments vs voice...it's just a mushed mess....is it just me or is this system just not that good?

Even my Chevy truck with Bose sounded better. Anybody else think the same? Anybody easily upgrade it?

Also, can anybody tell me how to get rid of all the exit ramps that are listed on the right side of the gps screen whenever I'm on a highway? They totally block the map view. I only want to know the next exit that's mine (and only when I'm near it), not every single exit known to mankind.

Also, on the same screen, the exit distances are written in white on a baby blue background...Helloooooo GM...did you guys actually test drive this??? Cause if you did you would have realized you can't read it when driving 70mph!
    thanks Todd...I'll look into it...
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    I guess I'd have to say the Bose system is "okay." It's better than than any "non-Bose" system, but it's nothing spectacular, by any means. I totally agree with you on the Nav system. I've whined about that before on previous posts here and that GM should have (could have) done much better by adopting graphics like the TomTom or Garmin portable units. Granted, there are a few (very few) good features on these built-in units, but the display and display preferences needs some major enhancements!!!
  • hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    Consider what your cost was for the option, and what GM pays for the option, and you'll quickly come to the realization that Bose doesn't have much to work with in providing amp, 8 loudspeakers andsub with enclosure. I would imagine that Bose sells the system to GM for around $250-$300. That's not much to work with.
    while I'm sure your right about what GM pays Bose, that doesn't excuse GM for not paying more and doing it right in a $40k vehicle.
    I drove our 08' Tahoe r/t from Austin to Ft. Worth this past weekend, average speed~ 75mph and I got 21.5 mpg. With 14K miles, I am pretty impressed with the way this engine is using fuel at just under 2k RPM.
    Radio in general, not a great test of hi fi versus a CD. Even MP3 not as good as CD. The Bose system is pretty good for a stock radio in Tahoe. I also have an Acura TL which has a fantastic system, but the I think theTahoe is fine for such a big space to fill with sound, and especially for the price. I can not get enough volume to cause the speakers to "clip" or overdrive, which is a good sign. Not sure GM could make everyone happy here, so there's always aftermarket....$$$
    You are truly blessed. The only time I see 20+ is going downhill with a tailwind. With 3:73 gears, I'm running 2K rpm at 70 mph.

Are your mpg from DIC or calculated?
  • kssoonerkssooner Member Posts: 10
    With mileage like that the Tahoe should be put into the GM Hall of Fame. The only time my Tahoe reads 21.5 MPG is going downhill. What kind of rear ratio do you have, has GM went back to 3:42? The AFM has been and is the biggest joke to come out of GM since the last AFM in the 80's.
    I got 22.8 mpg (73mph) on a 130 mile trip from Amarillo to Lubbock yesterday. I had a slight tail wind, the AFM worked well, switched to V4 mode (25-27 mpg) about half the trip. I do wish it was not so sensitive in switching to V8. But I tell you I am very impressed and happy with my Tahoe. I used to drive BMW X5 and Land Rover LR3, all of which got worse mpg and were smaller SUVs.
    How many miles do you folks that are getting this fabulous mileage have on your Tahoes?
    I have 18200 miles, KNN airfilter. The wind affects my mileage a lot, going against the wind yesterday I got 18.2 mpg at 73mph while my Rover (4.0 L V6, 216HP) used to get 16 mpg on the same trip. Considering the Tahoe has a 5.3 L V8, 320 HP, bigger car, I can live with the mpg. I am hoping that GM software engineers will have a new AFM software version that can be upgraded into the car's ECM. I am even willing to pay a little for the software upgrade. I am in process of writing to GM about that. I do drive conservatively but once in a while I love to run the horses and the Tahoe responds wonderfully with a nice throaty growl and acceleration, nice to have the power in such a comfortable ride as oppposed to X5 which had nice acceleration but a harsh "sportier" ride, got tired of being bounced around. Have a good one.
    that's great mpg but we need to know:

1. Is this a 2wd or 4wd vehicle?
    2. What fuel octane are you using?
    3. Is this calculated by hand?

My onboard gm fuel economy meters are always too generous. In the Tahoe mine is off by 0.9 MPG on a consistent basis, my chevy truck is off by 1.8mpg on a consistent basis. Basically, GM lies to make the mpg look better when you're doing the test drive.

thanks!
    Sorry. Mine is 2WD, 3.42 axle ratio. I use 87 octane 98% of the time, once in a while I put in premium for no rhyme or reason. I don't really see much of an improvement in mpg when I use premium since i do not use it regularly. I also use regular motor oil not synthetic, some mechanics say it improves mileage but dealer say the regular oil is fine if I change it on schedule. I calculate both ways, and sometimes it is 0.5 mpg off depending on driving condition. I have also gotten better mpg by hand a few times. Anyone use synthetic oil? Any improvement on mpg with it? I think the price difference cancels each other out. My imports all had synthetic but the engine temp was same with or without synthetic.
    Personally, I think the active fuel management is great. I calculate my MPG by hand and I am consistently around 15MPG with up to 16mpg with heavy street driving, getting up to 20MPG on the rare occasion of mostly highway driving. When I compare my MPG with friends driving Armadas and Sequoas with similar driving habits they are using in the 12 to 13mpg range...
    My mpg increased about 1 mpg when I switched to synthetic (Mobil 1) at the first change. Since I change my own, I use it mainly to prolong the change period. :)
    Pardon my ignorance but what is this KNN air filter?????
    A K&N filter is a cotton gauze filter that's been oiled. Too much oil may coke your MAF and void the warranty. Check 'em out on the web.
  • manny75manny75 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone advise how you remove the grill from 2007 Yukon? I've tried to, but can't get to the clips. :mad: If anyone knows how, please let me know. I'm trying to install new billet grill.
  • jkoljkol Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone have advice/comments on what kind of winter tires would be suitable for my 2007 tahoe ltz?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Something wrong with the OEM all seasons?

You can look different tires up on www.tirerack.com, if you live someplace which really needs an aggressive true snow tire.
  • ejg80sejg80s Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Yukon and have noticed the Automatic Transfer Case knob is quite hot after driving the vehicle around for a while! No other knobs or controls are even the slight bit hot! Anyone else noticed this or is the normal?
  • jkoljkol Member Posts: 2
    the all seasons slip all over the place and yes I do live in montreal which requires true all winter...thanks for the tip re tirerack!
  • ejg80sejg80s Member Posts: 4
    If you fill up with a full tank of E85 you should get a drop in mpgs of 20-30%. Max I get is 10 mpgs around town and limited highway driving in CO vs. 12-13 using 87 octane medium grade for my 5.3 V8. Value for $$ starts to look good when price of 87 octane medium grade approaches .80 or more than the E85 price of 2.099.
    Yes, it's normal heating from the bulb.
    I need some help. Does anyone know if you can still use the cig. lighter connection inside the console when the GM organizer ( pt. # 19166288) is in place. I keep the charger for my phone plugged into this all the time, and would not be able to do so if this blocked the receptacle.

Bye the way, does anyone else this another example of GM nickel and diming the consumer to death. Your buying a $50K vehicle, and then they want to sell you a part that should have been included in the first place. The center console currently is just a big dark hole that collects junk.
    Thanks
    I can tell you, even if it blocks the front power ports there should be one inside the arm rest and one on the back of the arm rest under the rear climates controls.
    Yes you can and either leave the phone in the lower portion or place it in the organizer. It's pricey but very useful.
    Thanks to all for your input. I agree that this is pricey, especially for something that should have been included in a 50K truck. But if it keeps me from loosing things in the big black hole, it will be worth it.
    They just openned the first E85 station in my area its out of the way but I'll use it occasionally. This time I did get about a 20% drop in MPG... However, the price of the E85 didn't compensate for the drop (or at least in my area it didn't).

Anyone out there getting E85 for 20-30% less than 87 octane? Maybe when more stations come online in So. Cal. prices will be better.

Quote - "If you fill up with a full tank of E85 you should get a drop in mpgs of 20-30%. Max I get is 10 mpgs around town and limited highway driving in CO vs. 12-13 using 87 octane medium grade for my 5.3 V8. Value for $$ starts to look good when price of 87 octane medium grade approaches .80 or more than the E85 price of 2.099. "
    Can anyone help concerning getting GM to pop for replacement wiper assemblies on the 07 tahoe? After reading the message from seabyrd ( #2877 ) I contacted my local dealer. The dealer acted like they didn't know anything about a bulletin, and said I was the first person to complain about the Tahoe wipers. Does anyone have the bulletin #? These are probably the worst wipers I have ever had on any new car. Beyond me how GM screwed this one up.
This discussion has been closed.