Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    No, I haven't driven one yet. Only laid my eyes on them. Very nice. I'm looking to replace my '03 Chevy Venture and do not like the 'new' Uplander. It's just a refurbished version of what I have now. I hate the interior on my van and the new ones aren't much better. Interiors have never been chevy's strong point, but the new Tahoe's is pretty awesome! It's nicer than my buddy's new Cadillac SRX.
    I do need the 3rd row seat since I have 3 boys to haul around...
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I took a closer look at an 07 Tahoe LTZ yesterday. Very nice looking vehicle, but it's not enough to get me out of my '00 Suburban. I'm waiting to see the '07 Suburban/Yukon XL.

The interior is a huge improvement, but we use the 3rd row seat quite often when pulling the boat to the lake, thus we need storage behind the 3rd row. The Tahoe virtually has zero room behind the 3rd row and even folded up, they still take up to much room. So, I'll wait for another Suburban/Yukon XL.

I don't want to start another 3rd row debate, we just happen to need the extra room and is why a Suburban will be better for us. A fold flat 3rd row still wouldn't be much help since we use the 3rd row quite a bit.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I like the LTZ trim level. It seems that "sporty" is the new trend, replacing "rugged" when it comes to SUVs, if you know what I mean. A couple of years ago, the Z71 was the top Suburban/Tahoe, and it came only with 4WD and the stiff suspension. Now you can get a 2WD Z71 with the regular suspension. Z71 is merely cosmetic stuff on those new vehicles. I'd much rather have a sleeker looking LTZ, or better yet an SS, than a Z71. I don't pretend to go off road.

I think I heard somewhere that the new Suburban LTZ will have the same 6.0 liter engine and AWD system as the Yukon XL Denali. Will the Tahoe LTZ also get it?
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    You can get the 6.0L in the current Suburban LTZ model. Don't know what they will offer down the road in the Tahoe. I'd like to see the 6 speed auto offered across the board.
  • 07tahoeguy07tahoeguy Member Posts: 16
    I just put my first 1k miles on my 2007 Tahoe LT2 4X4. So far, no problems. Still quiet inside, no squeaks or rattles. Fuel economy is 15-17 city/mixed and 19 highway. I traded in my 2005 Chevy Avalanche and it was definitely the correct move. I wasn't looking for new vehicle then GM sent me a "Private Sale Coupon" for $1500 off & a sales pamphlet, plus my GM Discount and the fact the dealership gave me top retail blue book value on my trade-in, I couldn't say no. Seats are comfortable, but third row seats are useless unless you put kids back there. Love the second row bucket seats and the interior and ride are much improved. The options on my Tahoe are: Second Row Bucket Seats, XM Radio, Side Curtain Airbags, Locking Rear Differental, Luggage Rack Cross Bars. The factory remote start on the LT2 package is great, because I live in a cold part of the country. I normally don't keep vehicles more than a couple years, but this time I purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty for two reasons: 1-you never know how the first run of a new vehicle will turn out. 2- I plan on keeping this one until the wheels fall off. If anyone has any questions about it, let me know.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    What size wheels did you get? Anybody with the 20"s have any complaints about ride quality?
  • piercemanpierceman Member Posts: 47
    Before I bought my 2005 Yukon SLT (traded in a 2001 Tahoe LT) I took home a 2005 Denali XL with 20's for a day. I definately felt the difference in the ride quality, and I ended up gettng the Standard Yukon SLT with 17's. SO I'm defnatley concerned about the ride quality in the NYC/NJ area and its horrible roads

I like what you are saying about the $1,500 coupon and getting high value on your trade in makes my mouth water. I stopped at a Chevy Dealer this weekend and sat in a new Tahoe and was very imopressed with the interior. My wife is gonna kill me!! (and this is her daily driver!) I like a lot of the improvement and can't wait to drive one. I wonder how long before the 6 speed is offered across the board!
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    Quick question: Does the '07 Tahoe with it's E85 capability qualify as a "Clean Fuel" vehicle on federal taxes?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    No. Unless GM gets them certified, but they've never done so in the past. You have to prove there is additional cost over a non-E85 motor and I'm not sure there's really any extra cost. The only vehicles pre-approved are the hybrids. If you spent money to transform your vehicle to run E85, then you could take the credit for the retrofit costs.
    Stock 17" Goodyear HP Tires. I am not really a wheel guy, but they had the same vehicle I purchased with 20" $4400 GM aftermarket accessory wheels on it. I test drove that vehicle first, it felt similar to the way my Tahoe rides and handles except it you can feel the bumps a little bit more. Not enough to make a huge difference, but you could feel it.
    To tell you how much I liked the 2007 Tahoe I bought, that $1500 off coupon was good on any GM SUV 2005,2006 or 2007. I could have bought a new 2005 Tahoe, Maxed out Z71 4x4, Nav system and the works for the same price after GM rebates and discounts that I payed for the 2007 LT2 Model. After the test drive, the 2007 was the hands down winner. Interior Leather is much improved and interior in general makes you feel like you are driving a Cadillac, but at Chevy prices.
  • slightboslightbo Member Posts: 15
    We have 22's on our 07 LT3 and the we can barely tell the difference from the stock 17's, rides very well, only problem with the 20's and 22 aftermarket rims is they will rub on the left front tire. Working with some tire guys now to figure it out, isn't that big of a deal. We also got the 1500 loyalty coupon and used that. We have about 1000 miles on ours and are loving it! Thinking we will keep this one a long time, or until the next redesign :)
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    As someone interested in one of the 2007 GM SUVs (Avalanche, when it gets here, instead of the Tahoe, but close enough..), how are you folks getting the 1500 loyalty coupon? I've bought 4 GM vehicles starting with a 2003 Trailblazer and ending up with my wife's 2005 Terraza (no comments, please. It's working great for our purposes, and she especially loves it). The last two from the same dealership. And since I definitely want to order my Av the way I want it equipped (not to mention avoiding the common local custom whereby the dealership owner uses the nicest of the new SUVs as his personal "demo" vehicle..), I'd like to make the most of my money when I go to trade my 2004 Silverado in.

Tips, hints, forum pointers? (<--mostly talking about the 1500 loyalty thing)

Edit: Forgot to add why I posted this in the Tahoe topic.
    I saw the Avalanche on the InsideLine Chicago auto show section, and realized that the front 1/2 is basically identical to the Tahoe, and the rear lower half is pretty much Suburban (including suspension setups).

Wanting to get a better idea of what it was going to be like on lots but not wanting to wait for them to actually hit the lots first, and wanting to see the various '07 colors and interiors, I checked out my local dealers and saw vehicles ranging from an SLT trimmed Yukon and a Tahoe LTZ to a variety of Tahoe LTs. Both of the upper trim vehicles were fully loaded, including backup cams, nav, DVD, sunroofs, etc. And both were white with the gray colored interiors.

After getting a good look inside and playing with some of the features I found I would actually consider ordering a Tahoe. The only reason I don't is that I occasionally need to haul something, but I found out how uncomfortable I become sticking rough materials in the interior of my finely finished machines back with my Trailblazer (which is when I traded it for my truck). The Silverado, while great, is a bit long, especially considering that I don't tow or haul nearly as often as I just tote family from place to place or simply drive it to and from work. It doesn't hurt that the new vehicles are much nicer than the last generation all around, either.

So it's Avalanche for me now.
  • slightboslightbo Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a 2004 GMC Envoy and received the loyalty coupon for Chevy only probably back in December, it was included in a large mailer for the new Tahoe that I received unsolicitated, but of course didn't mind!
    Thanks sebring95, but I found the answer.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_afv.shtml

The U.S. federal tax code defines "clean-fuel" vehicles as motor vehicles designed to be propelled by one of the following fuels:

* Natural gas
    * Liquified natural gas (LNG)
    * Liquified petroleum gas (LPG)
    * Hydrogen
    * Electricity (e.g., some gasoline/electric hybrids)
    * Any other fuel that is at least 85% alcohol or ether (e.g., E85)

It appears that the Tahoe DOES qualify as a clean fuel vehicle. I was thinking like you originally, but the tax forms this year did have a seperation on hybrids, which prompted me to research it. In that web page you'll find that any "E85" vehicle does qualify for the $2000 tax benifit. But that is only up till the end of 2005. We'll have to wait and see if it is true in 2006 also.

Then there's the other issue of actually finding E85 fuel. In my town some rural areas 100 miles out have it, but I've yet to see it for sale in town. Oh well.

Chevy Rocks!
    I'm not sure you read the pages close enough.

The deduction is equal to the cost of the vehicle's engine, the equipment used to store or deliver the fuel, and the equipment used to exhaust combusted gases, up to a maximum of $2,000 for vehicles places in service by the end of 2005.

The IRS site explains this slightly better: IRS

For vehicles that may be propelled by both a clean-burning fuel and any other fuel, your deduction is generally the additional cost of permitting the use of the clean-burning fuel.

How much does GM charge you for their flex-fuel engine? The answer has always been...nothing.

How many 2007 Tahoes were sold in '05? None.

From what I've read of the law effective after 12/31/05, E85 flex-fuel vehicles won't even be considered an "alternative fuel vehicle" because they can operate on gasoline. Of course, that requires reading through the 139 page document found here House technical review

And no I don't sit around reading this stuff for the forums benefit. This is apart of my profession, so to speak.
    By the time the 2006 taxes are coming due, we'll know more about this. And, I already covered the 2005, 2006 part, you didn't need to state that. Plus, don't forget, it's a $2000 deduction from income, not a $2000 payment.

Besides, reviews don't make tax law. Most taxes are based on suggestion rather than law. If there's a way, it will be found. Think positive sebring, postive.
    Sure there's a way. You just write it on your taxes and take the deduction. It's certainly vague enough to not get anyone charged with tax evasion. How's that for being positive? ;)

I do think there should be some incentives for flex-fuel vehicles. And oh yeah, apply the gas-guzzler tax to all non-business use vehicles regardless of size. Haha, like that would ever be fair :confuse:
    At least Bush is behind the E85 efforts, so the doors are open at the highest point in the Gov.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060224/sc_nm/bizfeature_energy_ethanol_dc

I'm definately going to remember that GM was a major player and a start for E85 when it starts to become extremely popular.
  • ted44ted44 Member Posts: 10
    07tahoeguy,
    If you don't mind me askin', what didjuh have to pay for the 100,000 mile extended warranty? Did it have a 5 year time limit? :shades:
    Without pulling the paperwork, $0.00 deductable, 7 years, 100,000 mile extended warranty, ran in the ballpark of $2500, they have improved it to cover brake calipers which they did not cover in their old plans. Considering a new installed transmission if it fails out of warranty installed by a dealer is the same general price.
    One thing to know about extended warranties, they are EXTREMELY negotiable.

For an example, we got a 80,000 6 year on my wifes HHR, They wanted $3000 for it, I talked them down to $1000. Warranties are usually hugh money makers for companies. First, they've got 3 years of investing they can do on the money (original warrenty time) at which time they've made more than enough to cover just about anything for a car, of which very few have work done anyway. Then they have themselves negotiated lower prices for work done, so it's much cheaper for them to pay for it anyway.

Basically, pick a number and tell them what you want to pay. If they don't bite, tell them you've already got something else where for about that amount. Car dealerships hate to loose sales, on anything. If you can't get them to deal on that, don't buy. Shop around and you can find better. My credit union has warranties at almost the price I negotiated with the dealer, with no negotiation needed.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    Can we hear form people who ordered and got delivery - how much time did it take from the order to actual delivery? I ordered my 07 LT3 on 1/31/06, told it was built on 2/15 and transit delivery date of 3/10/06. I am chomping at the bit, especially because I am 1000 miles over my lease on the 04 Tahoe.
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    You might be able to reduce the price on an extended warranty for an HHR from $3K to $1k but one shouldn't necessarily expect as much of a drop for one for say, a Tahoe or Suburban...given that warranty prices vary not only on length/miles, but also on the type of vehicle as well.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    These are nice posts on warrantys. I'll bet that a lot of people will hammer away on the "deal" and then go into the F & I room and roll over for what is presented. That to me would be the normal reaction after you've "bought" your dream car and now want to protect it. As I recall when I bought a Volvo I couldn't even get into the F & I room until I had agreed to a price for the car. I'm now older and wiser. Seems to me that the strategy should be to have ALL items negotiable before the deal is decided on.
  • tahoefourtahoefour Member Posts: 16
    My order was placed on 2/1/06. Built on 2/10 with transit delivery date of 3/01/06. It arrived at dealer on 2/27. Took delivery today 03/01/06!!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Major congrats! Be sure to keep us updated on how you like it!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Last two times I bought a vehicle I paid cash and wouldn't buy the extended warranty. The F & I guys were pissed.
  • brandie7brandie7 Member Posts: 8
    I am planning to purchase an 07 Yukon slt pkg 2 this within the next couple of days and I can't seem to decide on a color combination any opinions would be appreciated. I have tentatively narrowed down the choices to dark metallic grey with ebony leather, or silver birch with the tan leather. I really like the darker metallic grey as the exterior but it is impossible to get with the tan interior that I prefer so , dk met with ebony or silver birch with tan.
    thanks
    brandie
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    If you read between the lines from some of the earlier posts, I believe you will agree that 4 weeks from order entry to delivery probably means the pipeline is filling up already. There is no shortage of these, which probably means rebates will be here soon.
  • solissolis Member Posts: 4
    I'm not a big fan of grey or silver, but between ebony and tan I'd definitely go with tan. Ebony interiors are a heartache. Having just traded a black interior Ford for a tan interior Honda Pilot, I would know. The black interior's lower part of the doors was always dirty-looking and the kids were hell on the mats. The tan color gives a more luxurious (albeit less sporty) look to the car's interior and keeps it looking much cleaner.

Congrats on your new Yukon, what a beaut of a car!
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    However demand is fairly high. 15,431 sold in February and 10,481 in January. Almost 10,000 more than the same period last year. #2 selling SUV so far this year. I doubt rebates will be needed for a while.

2,500 Nisan Armadas were sold in February.
    7,292 Ford Expeditions
    2,868 Toyota Sequoias
    7,924 Durangos

Only one to out sell it for the year is the Explorer(29,559). For February the Explorer(17,559) and Escape(15,583) out sold the Tahoe(28,524) but only by a few units.
  • 06lly06lly Member Posts: 21
    Only one to out sell it for the year is the Explorer(29,559). For February the Explorer(17,559) and Escape(15,583) out sold the Tahoe(28,524) but only by a few units.

I am not following your numbers here......can you clarify?

Thanks
    If your looking at the dark grey or the silver check out the titanium interior. Looks good with those two colors.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My wife and I attended an invitation only preview of the 2007 Tahoe last night. There were six stations set up, each with a different theme. As you went from one to another you listened to the canned spiel. This was NOT a sales event, it was sponsored by Chevy and Raceday.com. Each person who listened to the spiel got a nice gift at each of the six stations. When you went to the last station you could drive the Tahoe and got a nice waterproof blanket for your effort. Most of the dozens of Tahoes there were LZT models, fully loaded. We came away wanting to know why anyone would spend all that money for such a large vehicle with so little interior room. The middle seats cannot be removed from those we saw and that really limits cargo hauling. The rear seat is cramped for all but children and weighs a ton to remove. Why not buy a top of the line minivan and save about $15,000 to $20,000, have more passenger space and flexibility not to mention gas mileage?
  • sdronsdron Member Posts: 29
    Plan and simple. Some people do not want to drive a minivan.

Not sure what you mean by "so little interior room"? If you are coming out of a different type vehicle, maybe then.

I drove a new 4wd Yukon today and really thought it was nice. Interior was great and roomy to me, but I am used to our 99 Yukon. The brakes were a big improvement over our 99 and the 06 I drove a couple of months ago. Didn't play around with the stereo, power mirrors etc., just took it for a quick spin down the freeway. Feels powerful, excellent ride and did not notice the DOD. I did figure out that there are 2, 5.3 liter engines available on the 2WDs though. The one that will burn ethanol is rated one mile per gallon less on the highway.

Question...Could someone explain to me the pros and cons of 4WD vs all wheel drive (Denali). All opinions appreciated.
  • bbug1bbug1 Member Posts: 76
    Funny, I am thinking of getting rid of my 2005 Honda Ody for the 07 Tahoe. I enjoyed the test drive and found the interior not only updated and improved on the new Tahoe, but the brakes and overall feel was impressive. Side curtain (available) for all 3 rows is a bonus over what I was going to consider (Toyota), which only offers curtain airbags for the first 2 rows only.
    For years we have bought HOndas and have been used to the MSRP or higher pricing. What kind of discount on MSRP is reasonable to expect on a Tahoe?
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    The driving position was very comfortable. The ride was very quiet and handling good for such a ponderous vehicle. There was very little head room in the second row captain's seats for me. I am 6'2" tall and found my head was very close to the top of the door frame. There was no leg room in the third row for me. It would be next to impossible for an older person to have to navigate into that last row.

For such a large vehicle there is not proportionate passenger space.
  • crzyaimcrzyaim Member Posts: 58
    Does anyone know when the expected release date of the Denali is? I've heard the end of April to the end of September.

Also, what kind of deals are people getting on the SLT's? Anyone paying invoice or closer to MSRP? Any input would be great. Thanks.
  • pharden1pharden1 Member Posts: 4
    I know the body width of the 2007 is 79", but does any know how much the mirrors add to the width. I'm concerned my garage doors aren't wide enough
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Gee, the tide is turning. People are considering updated GM products over the Honda/Toyota stuff. The '07 Tahoe/Yukon is a big improvement with decent mileage, the Buick Lucerne is getting rave reviews, etc. Clearly the Japanese product advantage is no longer there. Additonally, the buying experience at most urban Toyota stores is now no better than the CSI at a Chevy store (says Barons Magazine). Think about it: why would you pay list or list plus and get the same CSI as where they discount heavily?

With these quality products now out there why would anyone w/o grammar school age kids want to drive a minivan?
    I am 5'11" and there was plenty of head room for me. :)
    I actually did check out the 3rd row seats even though they won't be on my order form. There just isn't sufficient cargo space behind them, which is more important to me than 3rd row seats.
    Still hoping somebody can help with a logical explanation of the pros and cons of 4WD on an 07 Yukon vs AWD on an 07 Denali? :confuse:
  • 06lly06lly Member Posts: 21
    Not sure how detailed of a description you were looking for but here is the basics. AWD refers to a full time 4 wheel drive system that usually does not have a 2-speed transfer case. You do not turn the system on or off. It is permanently in 4 wheel drive.

The 4WD system with the t-case typically has three settings. 2-HI for highway, 4-HI for highway with poor road conditions and 4-Lo for off road deep mud, steep grade type use.

The beauty of AWD is that you don't have to mess with turning it on or changing modes. It is always there but there is a small sacrifice of fuel economy, probably less than 1MPG at highway speeds.

If you dont go off road but drive on slippery roads during winter, AWD is the way to go.

If you want to go off road, 4WD is best.

Watch out for towing capacities with AWD, they may not be as high as the 4WD models.
    Thanks 06lly.

We just drive in the snow occasionaly, and every once in a while get in some sand/loose dirt but never any serious offroading (anymore). We have had four, 4WD trucks or SUVs in a row and will have another by summer.

The loaded SLT Yukon that we looked at stickered at $50k so will wait to see what the Denalis are before deciding.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Sorry. The 28,524 is for the year on the Tahoes.

For February 15,431 Tahoes were sold, making it third behind the Explorer and Escape.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    bbug1,

Good luck on getting any discount on the new 07 Tahoe. This vehicle is still new and demand is a lot higher than the supply. May be in 6 months or a year may be? I read some article that mentioned GM is getting 40K for each on the average.

jt
    I heard end of March. I am in So Cal.
    A Dealer in San Diego is discounting $3,000 off MSRP on the 07 Tahoes.
    I ordered my 2007 Tahoe, paid invoice.
This discussion has been closed.