Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• Options
    crzyaimcrzyaim Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the response. We are debating between a fully loaded SLT and Denali, but afraid that they are not releasing the Denali's for some time. I guess it is a wait and see thing.
  • Options
    fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    well, almost everything is OFF from MSRP, that is not discount really.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    There is no such thing as a formal definition of 4WD or AWD, and each manufacturer, even each vehicle model incorporates 4WD systems differently. Also- I don't claim to know how the '07 Denali system functions.

However- in general, AWD systems are typically full time. i.e. you're always driving around in AWD. This is good in some ways for handling and general traction on slipperier surfaces such as snow and gravel, as all 4 wheels always have power to them. HOWEVER (and this is a biggie), there are typically no locking differentials. So, if you are slowly travelling on a rocky, steep dirt or ice covered road, and one or two wheels lose traction, they may spin, with power not being diverted to the wheels that have traction. Or- depending on the AWD system- there may be a delay before the differential will lock, or the ABS system will kick in and assist.

With a good 4WD system and locking differentials (front, center and rear), if any one wheel has traction, then the vehicle will move.

I've been plagued with this issue- as there are many fine new AWD crossover SUVs on the market these days, and so many of them don't have any off-road ability (which I need). So, I'm nearly forced to go with a truck (such as a tahoe/yukon, or Envoy) that has a 'real' 4WD system.
  • Options
    sdronsdron Member Posts: 29
    My Wife and I are debating the same thing. I drove a loaded Steel Gray 4WD Yukon last weekend and really liked it, but will wait for the Denalis to come out before deciding. We are not really into bling that much so we'll see.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response Morey.

Question though. If AWD is full time. If you lose traction on 1 or 2 wheels why do you need power to be diverted to the other wheels that have traction :confuse: Wouldn't the traction that is already present be enough?
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Depends. most AWD cross-ver SUVs don't have locking differentals (front or rear). If a single front wheel spins a little, then some power is sent to the rear wheels. If one of those wheels is also on ice it will get nearly all the power and spin becuase of no locking differental. So your left with two spinning wheels.

A rear locking differental will give you 3 spinning wheels (or 3 wheels with power). one front and two rear.

Given Murphy's Law what tire has traction?
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Few 4WD trucks have locking diffs. Is there ANY truck currently being sold with three locking diffs? MB G500?

There are so many different systems, it is hard to make general statements. For example, the Toyota 4Runner V8/Lexus GX470 have full-time 4WD. They also have a low-range and a limited slip center differential (made by Torsen). The center diff can be locked. This gives them good offroad ability and great ability on slippery pavement as well.

Are there any trucks from the big three with locking front or rear diffs (other than Hummer)? A limited-slip diff is good. A lockable limited-slip is better.

I'm not familiar with the Denali's system. Can anyone describe it in detail?
  • Options
    nld1966nld1966 Member Posts: 6
    Never having purchased an SUV before, I was suprised when I did. I saw the Tahoe at the Texas State Fair and was impressed by the good looks and luxurious interior. Traded out of my Acura as soon as Tahoes started showing at the dealers. Super happy with my choice. Few hundred miles so far, but still impressed. Frankly, I expacted a rattle or two to show itself, or some other "trouble". I had not bought a chevy in over 20 years and what I remembered was troubles from the begining. Not so with this Tahoe. Picked an LT3 off the dealer lot...loaded out of course. Thought of ordering to get a few less options and a lower MSRP, but decided I couldn't wait. I have had no "troubles" and am still impressed. I am very pleased with my choice.
  • Options
    carioca31carioca31 Member Posts: 2
    I still can't believe it. I was at the Cincinnati Auto Show and saw the new Tahoe/Escaladae, which are beautiful but the third row ruins it. I have an 03 Expedition and the convenience of electric fold flat seating is unbeatable. It is a deal breaker when looking at an SUV. I mean, If I am at the Lake and decide to give a ride home to some friends, if I left the seats at home in the garage, they are out of luck! Plus, if I leave the seats in, then I lose A LOT of space. I guess they want us to buy the SUburban, which would solve this problem, but I could not fit it in my garage. Sorry Chevy, the Tahoe looks great but I'll probably have to buy the 07 Expedition. :cry:
  • Options
    rsjohnrsjohn Member Posts: 16
    The Denali short wheel base is being build now at Janesville, wis. they started building them on monday March 6, 2006. the Denali long wheel base will be build some time in april. The are a sharp ride with all the chrome. I have drove them nice ride.
  • Options
    crzyaimcrzyaim Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully they will be out sooner than later. Do you know how long it takes them to hit the dealerships from the time they start production?
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    The flat folding thrid row issues has been beat. to. death. But, I still don't see what the big deal is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the third row seats still fold over onto themselves. The third row in my 2005 Yukon XL will fold in half and even flip up to rest against the back of the 2nd row. Why not just leave the 3rd row back there, but folded up? You still get pretty decent space.

Also, how did these friends of yours get to the lake in the first place, and who's going to take their cars home for them?
  • Options
    nacho07nacho07 Member Posts: 26
    Just bought my 2007 Tahoe about 1 month ago and wanted to see if anyone has a good website for accessories? Most websites are not updated yet for the 2007's. I have managed to order car mats and installed a fascia closeout for the hitch cover but would like to see what else is available. Love the Tahoe and have had no problems with it. I do wish i had gotten XM Radio on it but the LT2 package did not have it. :( Also a nav system would have been nice but maybe later.
  • Options
    hawkeye54hawkeye54 Member Posts: 14
    May I inquire about where (nacho07) had luck finding the car mats? I've been looking for husky style liners, but no one seems to carry anything for the 2007 Tahoe yet.

I agree, my 2007 Tahoe LT3 is very quiet and it handles great. I love the navigation system.
  • Options
    hawkeye54hawkeye54 Member Posts: 14
    I bought my 2007 Tahoe LT3 at dealer invoice minus advertising cost of around $450. Approximately 12% off MSRP. :)
  • Options
    rsjohnrsjohn Member Posts: 16
    I would think the dealers should start seeing the new short wheel base denali in the next 2 weeks. closer you are to wis the sooner you will see it.
  • Options
    I bought carpeted mats from usspeedonline.com i called them and they said they already had a pattern for the 2007. Havent received them yet, should get them early next week but i have ordered from them before for my Lexus and i was happy (the mats are made by LLoyd Mats). Got them embroidered and everything, i will let you guys know how they look. Dont know about Husky style mats but i did ask about the catchalls and they said they didnt have the pattern for those yet.
  • Options
    http://gmpartszone.com/
    I went here and ordered online, great prices on real GM accessories. Call for items not on the site. I have the hitch close-out and splash guards, all OEM. Nice guys to deal with and very fast too.
  • Options
    villahidalgovillahidalgo Member Posts: 9
    I'm thinking of buying an 07 Yukon or Tahoe. Anyone have any information on the real world mileage they are getting with the new DOD engine, city and highway? :confuse:

I would appreciate any feedback
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
  • Options
    I have an 07 Tahoe with DOD and get 13-14 with mostly stop and go for short distances. Less than I thought I would get, but didn't buy it for the gas milage anyway.
  • Options
    aa555zzaa555zz Member Posts: 55
    This website will explain the operation of 4wd and AWD systems.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm
  • Options
    aa555zzaa555zz Member Posts: 55
    Any recent General Motors product with the G80 option has a Locking Rear Differential. The locking rear differential has been standard equipment on most GMC trucks for many years.

Part-time 4-wheel drive models (GM trucks) do not have a center differential. The front and rear drive shafts are locked together when the 4-wheel drive mode is engaged.

Not many vehicles come with a locking front differential. Although, there are a few.
  • Options
    Cool website and a good explanation. Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    greg33greg33 Member Posts: 6
    I have a question about dealer invoice. I really like the '07 Tahoe and plan to order one with the options I want as soon as I can find the right deal.

I have a dealer willing to sell me one at "invoice" but he's hitting me up for an $813 "advertise/adjustments" charge and a $499.95 "Pre-Delivery Fee."

How legit are these charges and are most dealers willing to negotiate or eliminate them entirely?
  • Options
    jjmjgnxjjmjgnx Member Posts: 34
    I just ordered a new Tahoe this afternoon. I got it for $500 off invoice (LT3 with 3rd row and limited slip rear).
    I got that same line about those costs. Other dealerships did not mention it. They may be legit, but that's not your problem. Go with the invoice that you see at KBB.com or Edmunds.com.

Either way, I got the truck below the amount I was original gunning for. (MSRP 43,390 I got it for 38,872. Invoice was 39,343.) I think I could've gotten it for less too cause there was only his first offer, then the final one which I agreed on. I think you may be able to get $1000 off invoice.
  • Options
    greg33greg33 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info jjmjgnx. I'm looking into ordering the LT3 with the 3rd row seats, center buckets, and 20" wheels. KBB invoice is $38,001 and MSRP is $42,035.

The Advertising and Pre-Delivery charges by the dealer add $1312 to the bottom line invoice which I think the dealer sticks in there hoping to add additional profit to the sale.

Has anybody else had this experience with dealers adding these charges to invoice. I intend to ask the dealer to eliminate both these charges if they want me to agree to the deal. I hear with manufactor kick-backs and other incentives, dealers very rarely pay the manufactor's invoice.

Any suggestions from anybody with more buying experience? This is the first new car I've purchased in over 5-years.
  • Options
    peedypeedy Member Posts: 27
    I recently purchased an LTZ Tahoe 2007 and having an issue as of today....Its been two weeks since buying and when attempting to start vehicle today NOTHING....No turn over and engine light ON...Funning thing is Neighhbor last week with new Tahoe for 1 1/2 weeks had same problem...They had to replace her computer...They will have to tow mine off tom and then well see
  • Options
    Hi peedy. Did you get your LTZ off the lot or did you order it? Hope everything turns out ok.
  • Options
    I bought mine off a lot in Dallas Texas....My neighbor ordered hers so same problems might exists on others...Im really happy with the way it drives and handles and interior is plush with so many options...My neighbor is retired from Chevy so gave me some good names to talk to...She informed me hers has been in the shop twice now for the same problem and the second time had the computer replaced...She stated she had it back now for a week without any issues but if happens again claiming the lemon law...Apperently when it happened the first time they thought the issue was the alarm deactivating the car. Who knows but it took them 2 weeks to fix...Im hoping mine will be quicker and will demand a like rental car
  • Options
    I hope things work out ok. My order goes in this Thursday. Would you still recommended the truck to someone, if you're problem gets taken care like your neighbors did? My wife would have preferred a Toyota, but did like the Tahoe's look and drive.
  • Options
    I have a friend that has a toyota seq and the Tahoe rides better and alot more plus inside (luxury)....I would recomend the Tahoe in a heart beat...My wife drives an older one and has no problems...I think owning a new 2007 model might have some new things that might happen but thats what progression gives way to...It has so many more gadget options than toyota which in my book makes it better....The auto liftgate and auto start are great....When using the auto start the Tahoe senses wtther to turn on the heated seats and heater or the airconditioner....I would recomend the extended warrenty though and have one on mine
  • Options
    My in-laws have the Seq. The Tahoe definitely looks a whole lot better and has more power. Little nervous about these computer problems though. I still have seen over 90% satisification with the '07. Sometimes, it's just luck of the draw. I'm trading in a Grand Am with 106,000 that hasn't given me many major trouble except a new water pump a few thousand miles ago. That's no biggie in my book. If an unreliable Grand Am can last that long, I would hope the Tahoe will last that and longer.
  • Options
    I have searched the web to see if others have had this issue but have not been able to find any...Have you read about other issues....When my neighbor took hers into the dealer they stated hers was the first into the shop with that problem....Im thinking everything will be fine....Its probably inevitable that things might happen with the newer models but it can happen with any car....What matters most is how Chevy treats me as a customer and remidies the problem...I previously owned an Audi TT and Audi bent over backwards to make me feel important and not play down my concerns.....By the way my neighbor used to have a Cady Escalade and stated she liked her Tahoe better
  • Options
    I read on MSN Auto about a wiring harness not being installed properly. So almost a similiar issue. Computer related. Other that, I've read nothing, but praise. If you just focus on the important stuff, mechanical equipment, then so far it's perfect. I've read reviews that people had issues with their 4Runner or Seq. Supposedly perfect vehicles. Happens to everyone. That's why there's warranties and auto shops.

Here's one site with reviews http://autos.msn.com/research/userreviews/reviewlist.aspx?modelid=12003

ANd the one I found the wire harness problem here on Edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/chevrolet/tahoe/100672728/ratings_consumersdetai- l.html?dcr_usein=n&modelid=100505227
  • Options
    Thanks for that link...They came and got the Tahoe this am and called about an hour later asking if I had an aftermarket radio or alarm installed...I told them Nope infact the only thing aftermarket was the DVD dual screens they put in prior to me buying the car....The service guy stated it looked like something might have gotten wired into that area wrong like aftermarket alarm...I told them I have not touched the car and they needed to cont to look..
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. Let me know how it turns out what they actually do to fix the problem. Did they get to start?
  • Options
    landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    I took delivery last week of my LT-3 ordered on 1/31. It had a rattle/creak from the right side rear seat (2 passenger) when folded that I remedied with silicone lube and the one light on the passenger side seat heat button does not work. I am actually thinking of leaving that one alone. The pull on the lift gate that hangs down (the vinyl one) snapped in two today when I was pulling the door down to close it, but that is about it with mine with 780 miles on it already. Average on the trip back from Vermont to NJ was 19.4 MPG - about 1 mpg better than my O4 Tahoe. This thing is about as close as one could get in tactile feel to a European vehicle IMHO and I've owned just about all brands. Bravo GM!!
  • Options
    Glad to hear things are going well with it. I'm going to be tracking these little quirks that people are having so when I pick mine up, I'm going to go through the entire truck and make sure everything is ok. I'll have them fix it before I take it home if there's issues. Hope others will share their feedback on issues similiar to these.
  • Options
    Well everything is back in order and Tahoe back in Driveway...I have to say Bankston Chevy Dealer in NRH Tx did a great job on repair same day....Still not really sure of the problem but sum up like this...Service tech said it looked like someone had attempted to put an aftermarket alarm system in or something that blew a fuse....It doesnt add up though...I picked the car up with 20 miles on it and nothing but an aftermarket DVD player that the dealer had installed....They replaced a wiring harness though and fuse...Working great now and will cont to watch it....The Service tech actually had the balls to ask to drive it home for the night to test out...He was actually serious but I told him no way....That just didnt seem right to me
  • Options
    Glad you got it back and everything is working.

What a nice service department you have there. Willing to take your $40,000+ vehicle home with them. That's going the extra mile. :D
  • Options
    tahoechadtahoechad Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you buy the 2007 Tahoe with the radio just below the Navigation radio... if you can purchase and install the Navigation radio later? Or does it have to be done at the factory?
  • Options
    I would think for everything to work properly it would have to be done from the factory....However there are aftermarket nav systems you can put in but not sure of the din space there....I would just spend the extra to get the nav system from chevy if your going to do it...Less risk of someone messing stuff up later...I have enjoyed using my nav system...Very easy to use and great incorperation with the radio as well...
  • Options
    I have the LTZ with every option you can have...Needs a couple of more though....

1. The auto window rolldown with push of the button is nice but should have incorperated one push to roll up also. Audi's have this feature and nice to have at times...

2. Only one sunvisor present at this time. Would be nice to have two in the same location. One large on top and smaller bottom. Often I keep reciepts or other misc items up there for quick access but often find them in my lap when forgeting about one visor.

3. Dual zone air is nice (Refering to driver and front passenger controls). You can increase the heat or cool air between the sides but only one fan control. Needs two...

4. Large open console is nice but no change holder present...Small tissue holder would be nice under the armrest...

5. Front headlight design is nice but Zeon would have been better...

6. Rear cup holders under radio controls is a joke...If you turn a corner your going to lose whatever drink you had there...

All in ALL though VERY VERY Happy with my 2007 Tahoe and would buy another one in a Heart Beat
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    1. The auto window rolldown with push of the button is nice but should have incorperated one push to roll up also. Audi's have this feature and nice to have at times...

I'm not familiar with auto up. Is there a safety devise not to pinch fingers?

2. Only one sunvisor present at this time. Would be nice to have two in the same location. One large on top and smaller bottom. Often I keep reciepts or other misc items up there for quick access but often find them in my lap when forgeting about one visor.

Sunvisors should be outlawed period. :P I'm 6'5" and if I put one down I can barely see out the windshield. So they are useless to me. ;)

3. Dual zone air is nice (Refering to driver and front passenger controls). You can increase the heat or cool air between the sides but only one fan control. Needs two...

That would require and extra blower motor up under the hood and seperate duct work. Hmmm. I like the theory of it. I'd guess it could be done but at what price?

4. Large open console is nice but no change holder present...Small tissue holder would be nice under the armrest...

I haven't used a change holder ever in all my cars. Then again I havn't parked at a parking meter in years either. Maybe a majority don't use them?

5. Front headlight design is nice but Zeon would have been better...

Zeon? Goosh SUV lights are bright enough and blind most on-comming drivers already. The old fasion big glass lamps in my 03 work more than good enough. I don't think brighter and whiter is the answer. Also a lot more $$ to replace.

6. Rear cup holders under radio controls is a joke...If you turn a corner your going to lose whatever drink you had there...

Under is where you want them. When the soda spills it runs downhill. Anything with a moderate lid won't splash up very high. Subaru learned this the hard way. They had a pull out drink holder that A) was over the radio and B) put the bottom of the drink cup in front of the radio controls. :surprise:

Overall good ideas but I'm not sure they would apply to the majority.
  • Options
    brandie7brandie7 Member Posts: 8
    The msrp of the tahoe I am looking at is 43,175 with the edmunds invoice of 39,007 . How did you manage to negotiate such a great deal?
    please advise,
    thanks
  • Options
    I honestly don't know. I've been seeing a lot of dealers already knocking off $3000 off MSRP. I guess people love the new design the fule economy so they're buying them like crazy. Don't go higher than 39,000. You'll get that or under. Do your shopping online. That's what I did. Get the dealers to bid against each other.
  • Options
    Just received my new mats. Havent put them in yet, here is a picture of them drying after i Scotchguardeed them.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e26/Nachito909/P1000153.jpg
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
  • Options
    Those mats are great!! Where did you get them?
This discussion has been closed.