Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2011 MY and earlier

Comments

• litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    Here's some tests to see if Elantras or drivers are at fault for their low mpg:

First test: While stopped at a red light idling, are you normally in gear with your foot on the brake? If so, you are wasting gas.
    Second test( a bit tougher): While stopped at a stoplight when the stoplight goes green(hope you were paying attention & put it in gear before the light turned green), push your accelerator as you normally do.
    If the front of the car abruptly rises on its front springs as the car starts forward, you are wasting gas. To get the best mpg from a stop, carefully ease your foot on the gas pedal. Surprisingly, it takes some training, but when carefully done, your car will move forward instantly WITHOUT rising on its front springs. Some people think that other people, who are behind them, will be upset, so they actually over-accelerate when people are behind them. Thus the car rears on its front springs & we get used to driving that way from a stop. However, people are most unset waiting for 3 seconds because the driver at the front of line didn't see the light turn green. :D
  • rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    You are not the first to instruct us on how to drive in such a manor as to get good mpg. But I hope that you are the last. Do you really think that all of us who feel that the Elantra does not live up to the advertising don't know how to drive. So silly.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I would have a bit more sympathy for the "it might be how you're driving" explanation if it weren't for the fact that I have ONLY seen the complaint about getting significantly worse MPG than advertised on the Elantra and one other vehicle (Chevy Equinox).

Sure, there are ways to increase your chances of getting better MPGs, either through driving habits or driving routes, but it is clear that a larger number of owners than I normally see are dissatisfied with their MPG achievements in relationship to the published EPA estimated MPG.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    One interesting thing to look at is where the Elantra's are made that are experiencing low mileage. Most are made here in the US, but a significant amount are made and imported from South Korea. Could that be a factor?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I wonder if that has anything to do with buyer expectations. Both the Equinox and Elantra have the distinction of the highest EPA fuel economy in their respective classes, or in the case of the Elantra very close to the top (e.g. Cruze Eco is a little higher but that is a specific trim). So one of the main reasons people might buy one of those vehicles is fuel economy. Then they find that their observed FE doesn't match the EPA estimates, and they are disappointed.

It's not just HOW you drive, although that is certainly a factor. It's the CONDITIONS under which you drive. Those vary greatly from one person to another. Which is why the EPA is clear that "your mileage may vary". Not only does it vary from person to person, it varies for the same person because of different weather, different traffic, different gas (ethanol vs. no ethanol), different speeds etc.

Whenever someone tells me they are getting far worse FE than they expect, I ask them to do a simple test that eliminates most variables and should give them an idea as to whether the vehicle is operating at its capabilities re FE. I have suggested this test dozens of times in this forum over the years. The interesting thing is, no one--EVER--has returned to say they did the test and gave us the results. I would have more sympathy for these folks if they showed they were interested in getting to the bottom of the problem, rather than just complaining about it.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited November 2011
    Amen. I've seen the exact same thing between here and the Equinox forums. Shouldn't we assume that people know what they're doing until it becomes obvious that they don't rather than to assume they don't know how to drive in the first place? I figure that if they purchased a car for high mpg it makes some sense that they have already been trying to save money on gas by driving easy. When the new Sonata came out I don't remember any significant number of complaints from people getting poor mpg versus what the EPA estimated and the Sonata numbers were pretty high for a midsize sedan at the time. It seems to me there could be something to these complaints. I realize it may involve only a few Elantras but that doesn't mean a number of them couldn't have a legitimate problem.

Ususally these low mpg complaints aren't this far off from EPA estimates. Especially when you have people that drive in such a way that they didn't have problems meeting the EPA estimates with prior cars. Did they suddenly forget how to drive or how to figure mpg because they bought an Elantra?
  • roadscholar3roadscholar3 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2011
    Surely you jest... geesh.
    I think the negative buzz about this issue, regardless of whether it becomes a lawsuit, is going to hurt Hyundai.
    Once you lose a customer's trust its very difficult to get it back.
    It also diminishes any faith I might have had in EPA standards.
    Well, exactly - it's the fact that SO many people are reporting such a variance in estimated vs. actual MPG. Yes, the EPA includes a YMMV disclaimer, but I think that most consumers have a (reasonable) expectation that they'll be close. I can certainly understand the disappointment if a consumer chose the Elantra over other models because of the better advertised MPG.

I'm not saying the Elantra is a bad car - if I were in the market for a new vehicle, it's be near the top of my list. But then again, I drive my vehicle an average of a whopping 300 miles per month, so it's not a major consideration.

I changed the discussion title here, and I'm starting a new MPG discussion for the 2012 model. We got a request for that discussion, and I also think it'd be interesting to see if 2012 owners have better luck.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Since the 2011 and 2012 MYs are the same design, why break them apart? Might make more sense to do 2010 and Earlier, and 2011+. 2010 is a very different car from the 2011-12 car (sedan at least).
    I understand your point, but we had a request, and since MPG seems to be a big deal (on the 2011), there's no harm in seeing if it attracts posters. Lately, this one is mostly about the 2011 - will be interesting to see if MPGs improve for 2011 owners as the vehicles age a bit.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• kate007124kate007124 Member Posts: 6
    Posting this message out of much and disappointment and frustration....

In July, I traded my 2009 Mitsbushi Eclipse for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The decision to trade-in my eclipse was for the soul fact that the car was not getting the ideal gas milage (~24 mpg out of EPA range of 20-28 mpg) for my long (all highway) commute to work and back. After much research, I decided to purchase the Elantra due to its (claimed) great gas milage, features, and price versus that of the competitors. BIG MISTAKE!

After owning the vehicle for a little over a month and putting 2000 miles on it, I notice the vehicle was averaging about 26 mpg on each tank. After contacting the dealership about my concerns, I was told to wait till my first oil change to reflect the change in gas milage. The first oil change came and I did notice an improvement in my gas milage between 2-3 miles, put definitely nothing in the CLAIMED 29-39 range. I decided to contact Hyundai about my concerns regarding in which I was told to wait till the car was broken in at about 5000-6000 miles.

After 6000 miles I was still averaging about 27 mpg. I, again, contacted Hyundai customer service about my concern. Their response was to do have a fuel MPG test and to have the vehicle inspected by a local dealership. The fuel MPG test, released by Hyundai, requires you to have record the miles traveled and amount of fuel used five times while going to the same gas station and using the same pump. Again, I was still consistently getting between 25-27 mpg. I had the dealership, also, inspect the vehicle for any issues and run a diagnostic test for any issues--- none were found. All this information was then faxed over to Hyundai customer service.

So... I just got off the phone with Hyundai customer serivce and they are saying that the car is in working order and there is nothing they can do to assist me.

So why am I getting such poor gas milage that isnt even in the working range of the EPA estimates? I have tried every recommended way to enhance mpg and nothing seems to improve it. I was getting decent gas milage (in the EPA range) for my Eclipse so I really dont think it is in my driving style.

I see that forum that others are having the same problem. I dont see how so many people are driving this vehicle 'wrong' .

I am so disappointed in my purchase and wish I would have gone with a competitor that lives up to its ratings. Hyundai is doing nothing but false advertising this vehicle. I hope to see a class action lawsuit in the future.

If you are thinking about buying a 2012 Elantra and want great gas milage... DONT BUY IT !
    edited November 2011
    Obviously, thousands have sold and only a few are having problems like you're experiencing.....that we know of anyway. It appears you were getting right on money EPA wise with your previous car so you had no reason to suspect you wouldn't get right around the estimated average on the Elantra. If it was everybody with this problem I would venture a guess relating to tranny programming or motor tuning which may have changed after the EPA testing was completed(unlikely) or maybe there's a problem with a short production run or soemthing. I certainly am not an engineer but this just seems to be strange. Possibly something is happening aerodynamically at higher speeds which greatly affects the Elantras MPG at hwy speeds. But then again that would probably affect all that drive faster and it doesn't appear that is the case because I've read reports from owners that do drive a little fast but are still getting good mpg with the Elantra.

I can certainly understand your frustration if I knew of others that were getting tremendously better mpg with the same car as mine and I keep getting told there is nothing wrong with it. A lot of people on here will assume you drive like a maniac but your previous experience with your Eclipse indicates that's not the case.

Would you say that you drive well above say 60 mph on your commutes? I think the EPA testing is done more around that speed than say at 75-80. Just curious.
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    If everyone expects *exactly* 29 city and *exactly* 40 highway they need their head examined. So many factors contribute to the MPG. This topic is becoming very tiring.
    So many factors contribute to the MPG

What a revelation. I'm sure nobody knew that. What are going to inform us of next, that a lead foot leads to poor mpg?

What's really tiring is you jumping in here every so often and adding nothing to the conversation except pooh-poohing anyone that has what appears to be a legitimate concern. Feel lucky that your car is getting close to what's expected but quit insinuating that people who aren't are crazy or worse yet, stupid. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt that they realize that they aren't going to get the exact numbers. But when something says a range of say 35-45 and they are getting nothing but 35, I would be concerned too. It seems most of these people complaining would be more than happy to be just close to the EPA averages. Not *exactly* as you say.
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    People nowadays just love to whine and cry about any little thing. One guy even mentioned suing Hyundai. LOL! Most of the people whining are getting close to the average...I honestly don't understand what the big deal is. Okay, so on one tank they get 26. Another is 24. Another tank is 27. So what? And people really complain about getting 35 or even 38 highway? Yawn. If these people hate the car so much, then stop crying about it on the internet and go get a new car.

But like I said, people love to whine....
    I don't really feel it's appropriate for you to determine what is or is not important to other consumers. This discussion exists for people to share their opinions, positive and negative, frustrations, and concerns. We aren't going to let you continue to call people "whiners" just because they don't have the same expectations or perspectives as you do - this is NOT an Elantra Lovers Only discussion.

You've expressed your opinion about the MPG issue and how you feel it's of minimal import, and that's about enough - we don't accept belittling other members' concerns in our Forums. It doesn't create a welcoming atmosphere.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Hyundai clearly has issues with mpg. Yes it gets good mpg, but compared to the EPA numbers is does not measure up like most other vehicles.

Read Consumer Reports tests. Almost all cars get well over the EPA highway in their tests - not the Elantra.
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    CR's Elantra GLS test in May '11 issue. They praised it for its "admirable fuel economy" and show its overall MPG at 29 mpg, above Sentra (27), Cruze (26), Jetta (25), and 3i (28) but below Corolla LE (32). No data at that time for Civic, Fiesta, or Focus. CR estimates 20 city/39 highway, using their own methodology, which gives their 29 overall.
    edited November 2011
    Yet the 3i is only rated at 33 highway. That is the point. Elantra is not bad, just does not live up to its EPA numbers. Civic beats EPA highway by 8 mpg on CR's test course while Elantra just matches their EPA number.
  • kate007124kate007124 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for your input and understanding of my frustration.

During my commute I usually set the cruise between 65-75 mph on the turnpike ride of 40 minutes. I reset my mpg during that time and it seems to plateau at 28 mpg.
    edited November 2011
    It would be worth testing 65 mpg steady speed (cruise), then a 2nd test at 75 mph (with conditions as equal as possible), for as long a distance as you can manage, and compare the results on mpg. I bet you'll find a significant difference. I have on any car I've driven at those speeds.

Relative to your commute, it's interesting to note that the maximum speed in the EPA highway test is 60 and the average speed on that test is 48.3. So if you can do a test at 60 mph that would be interesting also.
  • roadscholar3roadscholar3 Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2011
    I own a 2012 Elantra Limited and have already reported ad naseum in this
    Elantra MPG Forum about my disappointment. I was someone who placed a high priority on fuel efficiency, and due to the high percentage of highway driving, I chose Elantra with its advertised 40 MPG highway.

Purchased Oct. 1
    Miles Driven - 1061
    Two real MPG tests - both showed 29 Avg. MPG (with ECO engaged)
    Usual driving conditions - 70% hwy/ 30% city. (in my case 'city' = small town with very little stop-and-go type traffic). Very little use/need of AC as yet.
    Average highway mph - 65-75 mph.

Overall the car is a good value for the price and I have no other complaints at this time. I won't be buying another Hyundai in the future, but will instead seek out better/more reliable fuel efficiency and a more trustworthy company.

Since someone wondered if the location of the car's maker made a difference (U.S. or S. Korea), my car was made in S. Korea.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Ideally you'd also run your cruise tests in both directions and average the results; doing so should cancel out the effects of head/tailwinds and altitude changes. Driving up hill, even if the slope isn't noticeable to you, can have a negative impact v. level cruising or the same gentle slope down hill.

My wife's '12 Elantra is too new (still under 500 miles) and has yet to see a highway so her MPG so far is below EPA. That's basically the norm for her anyway since her commute is short and Illinois has ethanol in the gas.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Yes, good points. The other thing to check is tire pressures. In my town, it was 63 last Saturday. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 18. That's what, 4-5 lbs. of air pressure? I need to get to the air pump tomorrow!
  • mb21784mb21784 Member Posts: 5
    After 7 tanks, fuel mileage remains horrible. My daily commute is 65 miles round trip with a total of 5 lights. As I mentioned in a previous post, my other Elantra (2005) is getting better combined milage on the same trip.

Fuel Purchase Records

Date Miles Gal. City HW MPG Note

10/13/2011 288.00 10.250 30% 70% 28.1 ECO off

10/19/2011 307.00 10.600 20% 80% 29.0 ECO off

10/25/2011 284.00 9.800 30% 70% 29.0 ECO off

10/31/2011 247.00 9.150 30% 70% 27.0 ECO on

11/03/2011 305.00 10.750 20% 80% 28.4 ECO on

11/09/2011 294.00 10.710 30% 70% 27.5 ECO off

11/16/2011 297.00 10.705 30% 70% 27.7 ECO off
    How fast are you driving?

Most large v-6 sedans can get high twenties pretty easily if the speed is reasonable.

If you are going 85 mph though you will never get good mpg.
    When looking at highway mileage I've found that driving 75 mph in many cars versus 65 mph makes a huge mpg difference. My '04 IS300 5-speed manual gets about 25 mpg at 75 mph but 30 mpg at 65 mph. So decreasing speed by 13% (from 75 to 65) increases mpg by 20% (from 25 to 30). I've had similar experiences in many other cars I've driven, except those with bigger V8s. With smaller engines you usually see a very significant increase in engine RPMs going from 65 mph to 75 mph even in top gear.
  • mb21784mb21784 Member Posts: 5
    Not sure if you were asking that question of me, but I do not drive any interstate highways. Mostly rural routes. Speed limit is 45 to 50 and I would say 50-60 would be about my average. I have never driven a car that didn't get combined mileage very near the advertised highway miles. Even if it was my driving style, it doesn't explain why the older model gets better mileage. And my 2005 model Elantra gets a combined mileage very near the rated highway mpg.
    This is going to sound really obvious to almost everyone, but since I know people who have done this it doesn't hurt to ask:

Is everyone who is way below the EPA rating on their Elantras even though they are driving moderately ABSOLUTELY SURE you are in D (drive) and not in the manumatic mode--and thus maybe not in top gear?

I don't mean to offend anyone with this question, but I'll bet for many owners of the 2011-12 Elantra, it's the first manumatic they've owned. And it's easy to pop the shifter into manumatic mode, thinking it's in drive (I've done that myself a couple of times on rental cars, until I realized the shifter was not in D) and maybe put it into a lower gear than is intended, e.g. not 6th gear when cruising on the highway.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    backy. One that begs an honest answer, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• majorbenmajorben Member Posts: 16
    Yes, mine is in 'D' and not manual. I have tried the "sport" mode, and since I was used to driving a "normal" stick, I can't seem to get the hang of it yet. Regardless, it is in 'D'. Seems like a stupid question, but I understand that it needs to be asked.

To answer the question about the other "driver tests" that litesong2 suggested, and I'm not so sure that the first test applies in an automatic. I'm not going to shift into neutral while stopped at a red light. It's not normal for an automatic. And besides, I'm not usually sitting at long red lights. For the 2nd test, my car does not abruptly lift on the front springs. I've been pretty light-footed, so I'm sure that I'm not wasting gas at those times.

If anything my driving habits in the Elantra are the same or better than they were in my Sentra, and it still doesn't make a difference. I'm wondering if the "fuel consumption check" by the dealer will turn up anything, but other than that I'm going to give it some more time. I love my Elantra, and I intend to keep driving it.
    What are temps in your area? I've noticed in the past couple of weeks where I live, as temps have sunk from 5-60 to teens-30s, my FE has dropped off from mid-30s in mixed driving (suburban roads, urban highways) to just under 30 mpg. My trips haven't changed nor have my habits. I think cold weather is heck on FE, as it takes longer for the engine to warm up. One symptom: in warmer weather my engine is warmed up in the first mile or so, so when I pop on the freeway and get to cruising speed the RPMs are low (just under 2000 RPMs @ 65 mph on my Sentra CVT). But with the colder weather, I need to drive several miles before the engine is warm enough for the computer to drop the revs to that range. Higher revs means more gas burned.
  • majorbenmajorben Member Posts: 16
    50's during the day here, 30's in the morning... getting colder as winter approaches...
    edited November 2011
    I periodically use the manumatic feature to see what gear I'm in. I've noticed that around town the AT shifts quickly up to 4th gear (which I assume is either the 1:1 direct drive or close), getting there by 25 mph. It doesn't like to go into 5th until around 35 mph. I assume 5th is the first overdrive gear, with 6th being an even deeper overdrive.
  • jsbosoxjsbosox Member Posts: 2
    As winter approaches and straight thru til Spring , the suppliers put a cold weather additive into the gasoline (at least this is true for New England) that cuts mileage by 2-3 miles per gallon. This has been confirmed by several reliable mechanics. I've noticed the drop in mileage already for my 04' Volvo XC70 and 11' Hyundai Elantra.

I will add that I'm not seeing anything CLOSE to the advertised 30-40 mpg with the Elantra, the real world mileage is VERY disappointing. In fact I get nearly as good mileage with my ALL Wheel drive, heavy, 5 Cyl Volvo wagon. It's ridiculous to think that with this little 4 Cyl Hyundai we shouldn't all be doing a lot better, maybe we need a class action to get our gas $$ back!!!
    Just get the Elantra detailed to like-new condition and sell it. With demand as high as it is, you'll be able to get most of your money back. Then buy something you think will give you the mpg you expect. A lot less time and trouble than lawsuits, which IMO have little chance of succeeding. And who would you sue? The EPA, since it's their regs that Hyundai is following?
  • jsbosoxjsbosox Member Posts: 2
    The class action suit was an attempt at humor Backy (mind if I call you "backass" for short?).

Of course we're not going to sue Hyundai and "dumping" an almost brand new car after making a substantial down payment on a 3 year lease is hardly going to be a good deal for me.

I made the mistake once with Hyundai, I won't make it again, you can't tell me that they aren't going to lose future customers based on all these complaints.

This is a big credibility issue, they sucked in a lot of people with the "reported" ratings. I don't know how they hoodwinked the EPA, but they rigged cars or something.

You trust a Korean company to not tamper with vehicles in order to get a better rating? I don't doubt it for a minute.
    How could I know your comment re a class action suit was an attempt at humor when there was no indication you meant it as anything but a serious remark? Also there's been several other posts in the mpg discussion about class action suits--and those were clearly serious.

You can call me backass if I can call you bsbosoz. Or maybe bsboSOB. Fair?

That's the bad thing about a lease... you'd better be real sure it's a car you want to hold onto for the life of the lease. Maybe you could find someone to sub-lease it from you?

I love conspiracy theories. Do you have any idea what it would take to keep such a "rigging" a secret? Do you have any idea what the backlash would be should anyone find out about such a "rigging"? And do you suppose Hyundai and other automakers know that... whether or not they are based in Korea? That's why there's no rigging. There's just your car and others that aren't meeting your expectations re fuel economy.

Did you test the FE on the car before you leased it, i.e. took it for a long drive, or maybe even rented one for a day or two to make sure it met your expectations?

My wife's Sonata has 17.9 mpg on the average mpg meter right now. That's WAY below the car's EPA rating--even its city rating. And I know she drives on the highway sometimes. This is not unusual, she almost always gets sub-EPA fuel economy. So what should I do? Never buy a Hyundai again, for starters? Maybe even think about a class action suit?

But wait... when I drive the car, I get above the EPA ratings except under extreme conditions e.g. very cold with very short trips, or lots of idling. So maybe it's my wife who should check into the lawsuit.

This is not to say your low FE is your fault. But it's an example of why the EPA is clear that "your mileage may vary". A car can get its EPA ratings if it's driven similar to how the EPA tests the car. Anything outside of that can cause "your mileage to vary".

Anyway, if a car were "rigged" by the manufacturer, NO ONE would be able to achieve or certainly not exceed the EPA ratings, would they? But they do. YMMV.
    As regards litigation, IF, and this is a big IF, there is a serious real world problem with the fuel economy, there could be a class action suit. Wouldn't be the first time for Hyundai. I bought a 2000 Sonata GLS V6 in 2000. A few years later Hyundai settled a class action lawsuit regarding the engine's horsepower rating. Suit claimed Hyundai advertised the car with higher horsepower rating than was accurate. Owners received both money for use at servicing as well as choice of extending either b-to-b or powertrain warranty.
  • pbm58pbm58 Member Posts: 16
    ridiculous is correct...why did my 2002 Civic get significantly better mileage than this brand new Elantra? It's very frustrating. Would not have purchased a vehicle with average 25-26 mpg's, which is about the best I can do currently with this 2012 Hyundai
    Finally looked over the two CR issues (May for Elantra GLS and Sept for Civic LX). There is something odd about their results. Their overall combined rating is 29 for Elantra and 30 for Civic. So essentially they are tied in CR's mind. But their city/hwy results for Elantra are 20/39 vs 19/47 for Civic. IF the 47 hwy number is accurate, not sure how they come up with a 30 overall. Seems odd when results for all the other cars' combined scores are so much more like Elantra than Civic. Cruze= 17/36/26; Focus= 18/43/28 (SE) and 19/39/28 (SEL); Forte= 18/36/26. No other car has such a huge disparity between the hwy and overall number; the differences in the Focus' numbers are interesting, since neither car has the Super Fuel Economy Pkg and both have same engine/trans.

In the Sept issue they point out how they use E10 ethanol in all their cars' auto tests.
  • je_123je_123 Member Posts: 1
    I do consistently get advertised MPG from my 2011 Elantra. I keep the tires inflated to about 4 lbs. from the max and I use the premium fuel. I have found that is not enough as I have found that some gas stations premium octane provides less MPG. Certainly the lower octance / ethanol is less. I have found that the cost difference is well with in the benefit of additional MPG. The highway miles I am getting that on is the avenue of the saints (I-380/I-35) and it is fairly flat. I do pack a few suite cases, have two people in the car and drive it like I want to. That includes setting the cruise control and it includes a little bit of in town driving. I have found that for a full tank of gas the on board computer is accurate. If the amount of in town driving is more than 25% then it general falls to 37 MPG or lower in ratio with in town driving. This is an economy car and the whole is, in my opinion, a very good product. I am approaching one year of ownership without the slightest issue and have a 100,000 mi. ten year warranty if I do. :):):):D So I can spend $s elsewhere.
  • tkbeyedoctkbeyedoc Member Posts: 1
    I have about 9500 miles on my 2011 limited (Korean.) I consistently average 33.5mpg in a mix of driving. Purely in-town driving returns about 28mpg and several highway trips with the cruise set between 75 and 80 have produced a consistent 41mpg.

So, from my experience the estimates are very close to correct. Add to that the fact that I've got a car that still gets looks everywhere i go. It also has leather, navigation, moonroof, heated seats, etc., etc. at an incredible price. I might change a few minor things, but in general I have no complaints.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i have a 2012 elantra gls base model which i purchased over the summer and i get about the same mpg as you and mine is also built at the ulsan plant in korea.on a recent 400 mile road trip i averaged about 44 mpg on the highway with the a/c going full blast.city mpg on that trip was 33 mpg.and i also get compliments and looks on the car everywhere i go.not bad for a car that cost me under $18,000.00....looks,mpg,performance,warranty,pretty good i would say....
  • pbm58pbm58 Member Posts: 16
    Hm, sounds like some of us have manufacturing errors--am at 1500 miles, now getting 21 city/32 highway (no ac, no passengers). Glad to hear others have had success. am afraid my vehicle experience is stuck at "dissatisfied."
    Have you tested your car yet under controlled conditions to find out if there could be a problem with the car affecting mpg? Do you know how to do that?
    "Right when it looks like Hyundai can do no wrong, we have this: A consumer protection group is asking the United States Environmental Protection Agency to look into claims that the Elantra has exaggerated fuel economy numbers.

Consumer Watchdog sent the EPA a letter citing a litany of public criticism of the compact Elantra's real-world fuel economy, and asking the EPA to "re-test the 2011 and 2012 Elantra models in its own facility, to seek an explanation for the MPG disappointments of so many Elantra buyers."

Above from autoblog.com. Seems like while most get expected mpg, many are not and the numbers are such that it's generating attention. Haven't seen many other new "40 mpg compacts" getting anywhere near this amount of people complaining about their mpg.
    edited December 2011
    Good. What will be interesting to see is what will happen if the EPA re-test comes up with the same results. How much do you want to bet we'll see posts about an EPA/Hyundai Conspiracy? ;)

Also... how many other non-hybrid compacts advertise 40 mpg EPA ratings for all trims? None that I know of. IMO that is one reason people are especially perturbed when their new Elantras don't achieve the EPA ratings... that rating is high relative to other cars, and is likely a main reason why the car was purchased: "I want to get 40 mpg on my next car!" So when it doesn't meet expectations, it's a big disappointment.

BTW... that was kind of an odd response to my post. Aren't you in favor of someone who is experiencing lower mpg than expected to rule out a problem with the car as a cause, using controlled tests?
  • mike1052mike1052 Member Posts: 1
    A friend sent me a link to the same article that m6user referred to. The last comment made by Jim Trainor, Hyundai representative, was, "The numbers are the numbers and the tests are the tests," he said. He says the mileage ratings are achievable unless "you drive like a maniac."

I take issue with that comment because I have found the same lack of claimed mileage results as others in this forum. If you drive with full intent of achieving the numbers claimed, you WILL be killed on the highway.
    My Korean-built 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS has 8,200 miles on it. Around town, stop and go traffic, I get 20 to 22 mpg. I've done road tests during my frequent travels to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I've found I can get 43 to 44 mpg with slow acceleration and traveling at 55 to 60 mph. That's about the first hour of my trip. Then the stop and go starts, along with the 4 lane free-for-all beyond that, and I end up with 35 mpg by the time I get home. I used to get that kind of mileage with my 2006 Nissan Sentra.
    I also tested the "ECO" mode. I see the same RPM's at 60 mph with it on or off......it's nothing more than a reminder light, unlike the 2012 Soul my son has which allows you to turn it off and on.
    I use an app on my iphone called "Vehical" to track my mileage. At 8,261 miles, I've averaged 28.78 mpg, which is nothing to write home about.
    I still would have bought the car, but the 40 mpg carrot was definitely not true!
    He says the mileage ratings are achievable unless "you drive like a maniac."

People say some pretty stupid things sometimes.

Driving like a maniac sure won't help get close to those EPA numbers, but there's many other factors that reduce fuel economy that have nothing to do with driving like a maniac.