Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    At present, the marking for engine oil will be either “EnergyConserving” or “EnergyConserving II.” To qualify as “EnergyConserving,” an engine oil must improve fuel economy in laboratory tests by at least 1.5% when compared with a reference oil. If the improvement is 2.7% or more, the oil can be labeled “Energy Conserving II.”. The use of 10W-30 instead of 5W-20 will probably reduce the fuel economy by 2%. Now we will have 5%. My personal experience with 2006 Sonata LX is that when using the 93 octane gasoline reduces the overall mpg by 3 mpg as compared with the case of using the 87 octane fuel. Adding everything together will result in the improvement of the overall fuel economy by 4 -5 mpg
  • ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try out the 87 octane fuel. For some reason I thought it was the other way around all along.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "At present, the marking for engine oil will be either “EnergyConserving” or “EnergyConserving II.” ((

Hi, cxc! Apparently your database is from another dimension in more ways than one - "Energy Conserving II" is an obsolete designation and has been for over six years. The EPA dropped that designation entirely with the introduction of "SL" rated motor oils. (The last motor oils which proudly displayed "Energy Conserving II" in applicable viscosities go back to the API "SJ" designation. We just entered the third year of the current "SM" motor oil era this month.) ALL current motor oils listing energy conservation qualities now simply state "Energy Conserving" in the bottom half of the API "donut" on the back labeling, though they at least equal if not better the energy conservation performance of motor oils previously labled, "Energy Conserving II". I may be mistaken, but I believe there are no "Energy Conserving" formulations in viscosity ranges exceeding xW-30. There are some European formulations* that aren't even "Energy Conserving" in the xW-30 range - Castrol Syntec "German Formulation" 0W-30 full Synthetic makes no claim of "Energy Conserving" since it borders on a 40 weight at operating temperature. (The European automakers put much more stock in engine protection than being miserly over an additional 0.5 mile per gallon.) I'll leave it to other readers of this thread to draw their own conclusions whom to believe regarding miraculous assertions of a 4-5 mpg improvement just by using 5W-20 "Energy Conserving" motor oils... I've had my say - have a good one, Bud. ;)
  • ppcdc30ppcdc30 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2002 Sonata GLS with the 2.7L V6 and the automatic. I do a mixture of city and highway. The best Highway mileage I have gotten is 23 mpg and I usually average between 17-19 on most weeks without using. The V6 is a little underpowered and thirsty. The transmission does not like to shift when it is cold even on warmer days.
    )) "The transmission does not like to shift when it is cold even on warmer days." ((

This may not be a defect. Hyundai (and a number of other automakers) program the transmission control module to delay engagment of 4th gear when cold to hasten engine warm-up - a means to reduce the higher emissions of the richer fuel mixture necessary while the engine is cold. Sorry to hear of your other troubles. I agree - your fuel useage is dismal compared to mine. My '03 Sonata V6 easily attains 30+ mpg highway with the cruise control engaged (70 mph). I've achieved as high as 32 mpg on a 240 mile road trip to Las Vegas from San Bernardino. In the city, I attain 21-23 mpg - all of these figures are derived at each fill-up from a hand calculator I keep in the center console. While no ball of fire compared to most other V6 equipped cars, I've found Hyundai's 2.7L V6 more than adequate - and certainly smoother and quieter than the 2.2L 125 hp wunder-mill I4 I had in my '96 Accord, itself a nicely engineered piece. To date my only expenses have been for fuel, oil, filters and a set of quieter replacement tires than the noisy Michelin "Energy MXV4+" tires the car came with (an unanticipated benefit is that the new tires are less twitchy in x-winds and on rain-grooved pavement). To date my only warranty claim was for a defective cabin light switch discovered a couple of weeks after taking delivery. A week from this Tuesday, I'll have owned this ride four full years. The car had 3 miles clocked at delivery and I took the time and patience to break the powertrain in excruciatingly gently. The motor used about 3/8 qt of oil over the 1st 500 miles. Thereafter, nothing observable on the dipstick between oil changes. One or both of us got exceptions to the rule.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    Ray is absolutely right...even when it is warm outside the engine still has to reach proper operating temp before emissision control system goes from closed loop to open loop, hence the delayed shifting. This is why it is crucial to to drive gently until engine is warmed up. :)
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    I wonder about my Auto . You have confirm what I thought was happen,When I drive away, the car holds in second gear for about 1km and I doing about 50 kph than will change Very good city mph for your V6 ,The 2.4 ,4 cyl I got is getting 24mpg Imperial gallon ,US gallon is little smaller so it is very good :D
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    After 4 months and 5,000 miles I am averaging 25.8 mpg with 90% highway miles. Overall I am seeing about 18 city/28 hwy. On one 35 mile trip the computer stated a 31.3 mpg average, driving at 65 mph with cruise control. I find the computer consistently overstates the mpg by .1 to .5 mpg. One benefit of the trip computer is that by leaving it in the mpg setting it encourages me to drive with fuel ecomomy in mind.
    The currently rising price of unleaded regular encourages me to drive with fuel economy in mind...
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Ray-h1 Wait till you have to pay NZ$6.35 per gal (imp gal 4.5 lt) or NZ $5.36 per US gal I think exchange rate NZ $1.00 gets just under US .70c But love to drive the Sonata , so I still go on these short trips Last Xmas ,There was talk of $2.00 per litre Thank God that did not happen.
  • jandk98jandk98 Member Posts: 20
    My 07 Sonata GLS 4cyl has under 2000 mi on it, so I'm not sure if I'm worrying to early, but I'm only getting about 20mpg around town. I did take it for a highway trip once so far, and got just shy of 30mpg (this is all according to the trip computer on the dash), but I thought I'd be getting better mileage than that, for both city and hwy. I'm hoping I'm still in a mpg "break-in" period; how long before I should be concerned about it?

Also, when in "D" and lightly accelerating from a stop sign or light, there is a split second pause between 1st and 2nd gear, as if the car were being manually shifted. Harder acceleration reduces this effect. Anyone experience this? I'm guessing this is specific to the 4-speed tranny on the 4cyl engine. Is this normal?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    I experience the shift pause too. I don't worry about it. My car has 15k, 2006 with 4 cyl, on it and I am getting around 21.8 to 22.5 in town. The last time I was on the highway I reset the car computer and watched it climb to 37 at times...driving 80 MPH. I was impressed. Can't wait to drive it to Colorado and see what kind of mileage I get.
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    I get 18mpg in all city driving with 17yr old daughter behind the wheel. I get 36mpg on hiway at 65mph and have averaged 28mpg over 9900 miles on my '07 GLS 4cyl auto.
    I too have the pause into 2nd on light accel.
    )) "...there is a split second pause between 1st and 2nd gear, as if the car were being manually shifted." ((

I've got the same box in my '03 V6 Sonata. My problem was just the opposite initially - the 1-2 upshift pounded home for the first two years but had a delayed downshift from 4th overdrive to 3rd direct when I punched it to pass. Eventually the 1-2 upshift smoothed out dramatically and the time to achieve a forced downshift reduced to the point it's the smoothest, best responding autotranny I've ever owned. I suspect Hyundai got enough owner complaints about harsh shifting that they re-wrote the operating firmware for a softer 1-2 shift initially. Expect the "fuzzy-logic" firmware to firm up the 1-2 upshifts gradually as the trannie continues learning your driving technique. In the meantime resist any urge to pour chemicals into that transaxle that promise amazing shift improvements. You'll only make things worse with a good chance of damaging the transaxle - Hyundai boxes are very sensitive to their fluid chemistry. Hyundai transaxles must only be filled or topped up with the proprietary "SP III" ATF only sold through Hyundai, KIA, and Mitsubishi dealerships and NOTHING else. Ever. (unless Mitsubishi eventually licences the formula to aftermarket fluid blenders for general retail distribution) You might wanna check the transaxle fluid level, too. Low fluid level could also result in soft/extended shifts. Check the "DO-IT-YOURSELF-MAINTENANCE" section in your owner's manual for instructions. There's nothing difficult or hazardous involved, but follow the instructions to the letter to assure an accurate reading.
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    I just experienced the best highway mileage I have ever recorded. My odometer indicated 5037 miles at the time of this reading.

I know that others have said that their mileage has improved as they have accumulated more miles on their cars. Possibly this is what is happening to me.

I took a trip of 204.5 miles traveling at a speed between 60 and 65 mph. I would judge that approximately 75 percent of the trip was at 63 mph. I had of course started with a full tank of gas. When I got to our destination I filed up again and it only took 5.4 gallons. According to my calculations this works out to 37.8 mpg.

The trip computer in the car actually showed 36.9 mpg. So it was a little bit pessimistic. I am anxious to try another trip and see if I can duplicate this mileage. This is almost as good as the EPA mileage for a Toyota Corolla. I will keep you posted.
  • txn428txn428 Member Posts: 41
    Which brand would accommodate Hyundai requirement? I am currently filling with Chevron, but I don't know if it has ethanol or not. Is there a place where I could look up those kind of information from oil company?

Thanks,
    txn428
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    FYI eagle2a-- I drove an '05 Corolla auto 55,000 miles & averaged 41mpg hiway driving at 65mph. The 36mpg @ 65mph we get from our Sonata is a fair trade off being that the Sonata is twice the size. We also find our trip computer is accurate to about 1/2mpg.
    Any major oil company name brand regular grade unleaded gasoline will meet Hyundai's 87 pump octane requirment. Any gasoline formulation, regardless of octane grade, will "spoil" over time. Choose the station you trade at on the basis of its turnover rate to avoid old gasoline. Logically, busy stations have high turnover rates. Contact Chevron Oil Co.'s toll-free consumer hotline and inquire whether E10 gasahol (10% ethanol) is distributed in your area. (I'd look on their website for a contact number or a consumer response email address.) I've used BP "ARCO" gasoline exclusively for the past decade - but only because it's C-H-E-A-P. (like me) Some states have mandated the exclusive use of ethanol-spiked fuels since the bound oxygen content in alcohol aids in the reduction of harmful atmospheric emissions. Additionally, E10's ethanol content is an effective anti-knock compound and dissolves gas tank condensation allowing it to be carried through the engine and out the tailpipe*. The downside of gasahol is its alleged hit on fuel economy. Nevertheless, with California's mandated E10 gasahol, I still routinely average 22+ urban mpg, and 30+ highway mpg in my '03 Sonata V6 on ARCO 87 pump octane unleaded regular grade.

*When California switched over to ethanol from MTBE as the State mandated fuel oxygenator January 1, 2003, I did notice some driveability issues for the 1st several tankfulls. With 20/20 hindsight, I suspect now that those driveability problems (poor fuel mileage, hard cold starting, "missing" under hard load, etc.) were the result of the gasahol gradually ridding my car's fuel system of accumulated condensation. The severity lessened with each subsequent tankful and, after the fourth tankfull of E10 gasahol, all those issues were totally resolved and have remained so since.
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    Im getting about 14.5 to 16 mpg in the city i get about 23 on the highway which is below the epa rating i did everything the book said, im still getting low gas mileage but at least it is better than my old sonata, I do not regret getting the V6 even with the high gas prices, the gas i use is regular which is no different from the others which is the truth, i used plus and premium, the same results,the brands of gasoline i use is arco,shell, chevron, union 76, olympain, i prefer high quality gas but i have came to realization that they are all the same.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Both of your readings city and highway seem more than a little below what others report and what I have personally experienced with a week long rental of a 2006 V-6 GLS. Of course you may commute in gridlock every day i.e. a major US city with much more STOP than GO. You also may drive at 85 or more on the highway. Either condition will reduce fuel economy very, very quickly. Of course there are dozens of other variables that reduce economy too but typically driven reasonably (70-72 mph) I found 30mpg or a bit more is achievable. This dropped to 21-22mpg when driven in our smallish city (town really) with little gridlock. Also don't forget cold weather reduces fuel economy too. in my opinion you are low but that may be your driving techniques. Finally, yes the EPA IS full of crap generally speaking.
  • xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    My 2007 Ltd is averaging only 19.8mpg and that's city (50%) OR highway (50%). It almost seems like the digital meter is stuck on 19.8, although it generally varies from 19.6 to 20.6mpg. I have never gotten it over 21mpg. And I think the meter is fairly accurate because my previous car (95 Eclipse, EPA: 20/26) was noticably getting better milage.

My car is still under 500 miles, so I rarely go over 55-60mph since the engine is still in its break-in period. I'm hoping my mileage will increase over time, but have others experienced this kind of mileage in their first month of ownership? Better, same or worse -- using similar driving techniques? Thanks.
    )) "My car is still under 500 miles ... I'm hoping my mileage will increase over time..." ((

Gosh, ya' think? My '03 Sonata 2.7L V6 was terrible right out of the chute, too. EPA rated for 19/27, I only got 16/24. Things didn't jibe with EPA until I had nearly 5K miles clocked. Like you I observed the owner's manual run-in procedure (mostly - I did find myself creeping into 60-65 mph territory ocassionally...) There's nothing magic about Hyundai's 1,200 mile nominal run-in period - the motor hasn't suddenly finished running-in as the odometer crosses from 1,199 miles to 1,200 miles. While you're then free to run with the rest of the freeway-fliers, in reality the motor is still running-in, albeit more subtley. I even continued noticing slight fuel economy improvements past 5K miles. By about 22K miles things finally leveled out.

(Those reporting extraordinary fuel economy within the first month of ownership may've put a lot of miles on the first month, bought a dealership demo, and/or used the "run-it-like-ya'-stole-it" break-in technique. Time'll tell whether doing the latter is in the motor's best long-term interest - but it'll probably be a subsequent owner's issue to deal with in any event. {Ask me why I would never consider an off-lease purchase...} Keep doin' whatcher doin', xj220 - you'll be fine.;))
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    I believe everyone posting their gas mileage readings on this form are reporting the truth. There truth.

Everyone drives differently and lives in various parts of the country, with various type of traffic and road conditions. All of which impact gas mileage readings.

However, having said that, I feel that Hyundai does have a protracted break-in period. Possibly due to using harder metals in their engines. It seems that everyone is universally reporting break in periods that can exceed 10,000 miles. Although most seem to have achieved their maximum gas mileage by the time they have put 5,000 miles on their cars.

The 37.9 mpg that I achievement on my last road trip, was driven at approximately 63 miles per hour for something over 200 miles with almost no town driving. The city driving makes a tremendous difference on your gas mileage. Even driving around town for ten miles or so prior to hitting the road on a shorter trip can take several miles per gallon off of your test tank.
  • chacago1chacago1 Member Posts: 1
    1240 miles 75 MPH average 1225 hiway 15 city 29.6 MPG

Usually average 26 MPG on 60% moderate suburban driving 5% downtown traffice 35% highway. If wife or daughter drives the car mileage drops approx 15%.
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    Use top tier gasolines to avoid performance problems and check engine light (because of the deterioration of catalytic converter). Here is a list of top tier gasoline retailers:

QuikTrip
    Chevron
    Conoco
    Phillips
    Shell
    Entec Stations
    MFA Oil Company
    Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
    The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Chevron-Canada
    Aloha Petroleum
    Tri-Par Oil Company
    Shell-Canada
    Texaco
    Petro-Canada
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Holiday stations (Minnesota, and elsewhere?) say that their gas is Top Tier also. And it is low-sulfur as well, even though that is not yet required in Minnesota.
  • dwheelsdwheels Member Posts: 4
    My 06 LX with 6600 miles is getting 19-20 mpg on Shell 87 octane. I can't say I'm thrilled with the numbers, but I can say i'm thrilled with the car. I just put in a K&N filter (33-2346) and I'm hoping those mpg numbers increase. I do about 70/30 city and highway. I always use the cruise control as much as possible. Usually 62-65mph on the highway and around 45 mph in town. The next thing that could increase mpg is spark plugs, but 6600 miles is way too early to change those, especially since my numbers don't seem out of line with other comments. At least it's pretty fast, even quicker with the new filter.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    19-20 mpg is really pretty good for any 6 cyl with a city/hwy mix, especially if your "city" driving involves numerous starts and stops. I'm assuming your 45 mph is the speed you accelerate to.

Wait until you can take a trip of several hundred miles on the highway. You'll probably be looking at 30 mpg with the cruise set at 65.
    Another motorist succumbs to the siren song of a K&N low restriction air filter... (If they're not oiled correctly, the engine will ingest a LOT of dirt. If they are oiled correctly, they're just as restrictive as a paper element air filter.)
  • dwheelsdwheels Member Posts: 4
    I just traded my 02 Passat turbo with 96,000 miles, 86,000 of which were with one K&N filter which was cleaned every 5.000 miles. I use Mobile 1 synthetic and a fuel sysem cleaner every 3.000 miles. This combo seems to keep the engine clean enough. Judging by what they gave me for the car after driving it, the engine didn't run like it had a LOT of dirt in it. Have you taken a look at the stock filter, it looks like 4 maxi-pads strung together. bmhr59,you're right, I get up to 45 and click on the cruise. I'm looking forward to that long road trip. Has anyone tried 89 octane and seen any improvement?
    I got my '07 Ltd with 13 miles on it.

First tank - avg 19.7 mpg (strangley, it first said 22.1 mpg, then went way down. Maybe because I keep it under 55mph.)
    Second tank - avg 19.7 mpg (still keeping it under 55-60 mph)
    Third tank - avg 20.2 mpg (yes, it's finally going up! But I'm also starting to go as high as 70mph. Oops!)

Current odometer reading: 970 miles. Mileage nowhere near what I hoped, but we'll see. I do about 80%hwy/20%city. If I can get it up to 24-25 mpg I'll be very happy.

Question: The MPG reading on the dash NEVER goes up or down much (except when I test drove the car and it strangely said 22.1mpg). In other words, the reading (and I check it everyday) has never been lower than 19.6mpg or higher than 20.2mpg. And at most the change is 0.2 mpg on any given trip, no matter what the driving condition and whether I'm on the hwy or not. Is this normal for the Sonata? I'm asking because I'm reading others here say that they got as much as 10mpg difference from one trip to the next. (I reset the trip on every fill up).
    It takes a while for engine to break in so fuel mileage cannot be fully realized until then...also, mileage will be reduced with cold weather. I now have 18000 on my 07 and mileage is very consistent average 25-27 mostly hwy (90%) usually in 70-80 mph range. :)
    Do not use anything other then what the engine requires. The engine management computer will not calibrate to burn anything but 87...it is pure myth that higher octane is cleaner and will provide better mileage; and higher than needed octanes usually result in lower fuel mileage and could harm your engine. ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If your first tank of gas was based on the "full tank" you got from the dealer, discount that tank for milage considerations. You don't know how "full" was "full" or for how many minutes the car may been running while parked in the dealer's lot.

On your 80 hwy/ 20 city usage, how much of your driving includes stop signs, sitting at traffic lights or drive-up windows at a bank or fast food joint. Whenever you're stopped, you are getting zero mpg. Spend 10 minutes in a drive-up lane and you'll see the trip average mpg drop like a rock if you reset it every (both times so far) tankful.

If you want to see how you are dong per tank full, reset it everytime you gas up. If you want to se how the car is doing overall reset it every 1,000 to 1500 miles.

I'm guessing (& could be wrong) that this is the first time you have had a trip computer. Many people who have never had one before don't understand them.

I back out of my garage and have to stop the car to get out and shut the garage door (zero mpg) go up the driveway and stop to pick up the newspaper (zero mpg). Then I drive to the first stop sign (having to accelerate twice in the process). At the stop sign I get zero mpg. If I can pull right out, great, but if I have to wait for 20 cars to go by, all that time is zero mph. Your trip computer is counting every drop of gas that you burn whenever the engine is running.

I was confused the first time we had a trip computer in 1987. Want to get a little more confused, turn the display to the average speed setting. You'll be surprised at how slow your average speed is compared to what you think you were averaging. Stops, slowing down for traffic, turning from one street to another, accelerating back to desired speed all cut down your average speed.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The mpg number never changes (that much). For example, since my last fill up it has NEVER said anything but "20.2" mpg. And yes I reset it every tankful. I can stop for 10 minutes straight or be going 60mph for 10 minutes straight. The number won't change (and if it does we're talking about increments of +/-0.1 mpg per trip).

And yes I'm familar with digital trip comp, which is why I'm bringing this up. I also own an 03 Elantra GT and I occasionally drive my Aunt's Lexus ES330. While I have to admit I've hardly paid attention to the Elantra's trip (someone else drives it regularly), the ES330's mpg indicator changes at a moments notice (i.e., goes from 22mpg one moment to 16mpg the very next second). I'm not seeing that in my Sonata. Ever. This is why I'm wondering if this is typical for Sonata/Hyundai or if there is something wrong with my particular car.
    on the Lexus, as with my Cadillac, there is an instant gas readout associated with the trip computer, to show you what you are are getting at any given throttle position. Our Hyundai's are not as detailed, figuring just overall mileage from the time the meter is reset.
  • comet64comet64 Member Posts: 12
    If your interested in what the mileage is while on the road, reset the trip mileage and monitor it for several miles while on the highway. I have an 07 Limited and it will get 28-31 mph while at a steady 65-75 mph, depending on other variables(wind speed, wind direction, amount of weight in vehicle, etc). However, you will not be able to monitor your overall mileage from prior to the reset, it will only display the mileage you are getting from the time the reset was pressed.
    Yes, I just realized that this morning it says "Avg" on the trip. Don't know how I missed that. This explains the difference. Thanks for all those who've responded.
    )) "The engine management computer will not calibrate to burn anything but 87 ...it is pure myth that higher octane is cleaner and will provide better mileage; and higher than needed octanes usually result in lower fuel mileage and could harm your engine." ((

Higher octane gasoline is more difficult to ignite, too, which might be marginally problematic for startups in very cold weather. Hyundai, as most current automakers, uses knock sensors* to "tell" the ECM how far to advance ignition timing - to a point just shy of detonation ("pinging"), and do so dynamically regardless of load, barometric pressure, and vehicle speed. What this translates to is that if an owner goes to the expense of premium unleaded gasoline (91 pump octane), there will be a subtle increase in engine power and torque (perhaps 3-5 additional horsepower where the rubber meets the road after subtracting for parasitic losses through the transmission and differential). Whether the difference will be noticeable to most drivers is debatable, but it can be measured with the car on a dynomometer. I suspect there's little or no improvement in fuel economy, though - certainly insufficient justify the extra $3.50 or so at nearly dry tank fill-up time. Higher octane gasoline will not damage an engine or increase fuel useage - sorry, both of those statements in your post were incorrect.

*A knock sensor is literally a small microphone that picks up detonation shock waves traveling through the metal at sound levels even too low for the human hearing response to perceive. Hyundai 4-cyl engines have one screwed into the block. Hyundai V6 engines have two knock sensors - one each per cylinder bank, and mounted in the valley between the cylinder banks.
  • rickb56rickb56 Member Posts: 14
    Just now hitting 8000 miles and I have switched to Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil hoping to increase gas mileage. Does not seem to have any effect. I'm thinking of backing off to a synthetic blend or even the regular 5w-20. Anyone else having luck with synthetic?

I am still getting around 28 on highway only with speeds 65-70 mph. I have noticed a gain or loss of about 2 mpg with signifigant tailwind or headwind. Mileage also varies greatly with speed... 62 mph might get you 30 and 75 mph drops to 25, again the wind seems to have effect.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    In spite of any advertising you might have seen advocating that synthetic motor oils provide an increase in fuel economy any increase will be pretty much undetectable. There is no point in changing oils (from full sythentic to semi-synthetic or a blend to 100% natural oil)in a futile search of some "magic" formula that will provide you even a detectable difference in fuel economy. A valid reason for change could be better engine protection (synthetic?...maybe?)better cold oil flow (synthetic) longer change intervals (synthetic?...maybe?) or a personal preference but don't expect better fuel economy.
    When I refreshed it on the hwy, it quickly got to 44mpg :) Too bad it went down to 30mpg at the end of the trip :(
    )) "In spite of any advertising you might have seen advocating that synthetic motor oils provide an increase in fuel economy any increase will be pretty much undetectable." ((

Add to your list uncorroborated promises that measurable increases in engine power will occur with the use of synthetic motor oils. (Respectfully to those who believe that - baloney.) What synthetic oils bring to the table are somewhat reduced wear (though no where nearly to the point that synthetic advocates often claim), easier starting in very cold weather, and better stability against chemical breakdown in the presence of high heat - particularly over extended oil change intervals*. If I lived in Antarctica or towed a heavy trailered boat routinely across Death Valley in August, I'd use a full synthetic. For those who want to use a synthetic - by all means do so. It's your money and it can't hurt. Just be aware that how you drive and otherwise care for your ride determines far more how many trouble free miles you'll enjoy than the type or brand of motor oil you choose - presuming you stick with the latest API/ILSAC quality ratings for American and Asian cars or ACEA ratings for European cars.

*which, by and large, American and Asian automakers don't recognize for warranty purposes... :confuse:
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    My LX, mileage start 4419, end 6228= 1809mi total. Pensacola to Key West,FL and return. Interstate or hwy for all but 125mi, around KW and Panama City,FL. Gas consumed:69.7 gal for avg:=25.95+mpg actual. Car computer showed 27.2mpg Tire pressure checked:34lbs, rainy weather going, cloudy return. Overall trip travel excellent,enjoyable. No problems. Conditions permitting--Interstate speed 70+, hwy 60-70+,town local limits. (Afraid of the non-existant Florida's speed traps throughout. :P ) Would really liked to have seen better. Oh, btw I use synthetic Mobil 1, oil since 1st change at 2350 (?) mi. Around town (Pensacola) can't seem to make it to 19mpg. Submitted fyi. van :)
    Hang in there - your engine is still breaking in.

The new Sonatas are substantially larger (heavier) than the prior generation models they replaced.

The new Sonatas' 3.3L V6 engine is substantially more powerful (thirstier) than the 2.7L V6 engine it replaced.

Nevertheless, expect further improvement in highway fuel economy as the engine continues running in. (Hyundai does set their engines up on the tight side during build and recommends an extended break-in in the owner's manuals.) City useage is predictably worse - especially in "'rush hour' crawl" (Am I the only person who sees that phraseology as a non-sequitur?), since you get zero mpg when stopped with the engine idling.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Where did you get this list of "top tier" gasoline retailers? NOne of them are in South Central PA.
    I haven't done so, but try a search using "top tier gasoline blenders" as the limiting tool - you'll probably come up with a list that way. Also be mindful that the gub'mnt already specifies a minimum of detergent addititive content that ALL gasoline blenders in the U.S. must adhere to. I suspect Canadian gas meets very similar standards. I suspect gasoline formulated and sold south of the Mexican border isn't as dutifully policed. My gut feeling is that many national brand blenders meet top tier standards anyway though they haven't formally signed on to the "Top Tier" voluntary marketing qualifications. As I've stated repeatedly, avoid the no-name convenience store gasolines and trade at stations doing a lot of business to avoid "stale" gasoline. An ounce of common sense is worth a pound of advertising jingoism.

Addendum - I just took my own advice. The following is a list of Top Tier gasoline providers, though I make no claim to its completeness:

U.S. TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Aloha Petroleum
    Chevron
    Conoco
    Entec Stations
    Kwik Star/Kwik Trip
    MFA Oil Company
    Phillips
    QuikTrip
    Shell
    Texaco
    The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Tri-Par Oil Company

Canadian TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Chevron-Canada
    Petro-Canada
    Shell-Canada

Mexican TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Get Real! (There's a reason many Americans mispronounce PEMEX, "Pee-Mex"... ;))
  • matt44matt44 Member Posts: 9
    I'm well beyond the break in period (over 20,000 miles now on my 2006 Sonata GLS V6). Drive highway 75%.

Yes I drive fast and accelerate fast but my previous V6 Accord would average about 24 to 26 miles per gallon.

My Sonata averages between 16 and 18 miles per gallon. The highest I ever averaged was about 19.5 mpg once.

Also, I use both the 'computer' on the dash, as well as fill up the car completely and check the mileage as I know that both together provide the best average.

Needless to say I do drive fast on the highway usually always over 80 unless its rush hour. But I had MUCH better mileage with the Accord I traded in (wish I hadn't now).

And no - I don't tow 2000 lbs with me, its just usually me and nothing more than a few CD's in the car!

Very dissapointed to say the least. I will not buy another Hyundai again based on my experience (not to mention 3 trips to the dealer - two for warranty work and one for a recall).
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    re 252
    Thanks for the encouragement, I am hoping for it (MPG) to keep increasing. Unfortunately, most of my miles will still be around town, with maybe a short run to see family, about 125-150mi each way. This (KW) trip happens maybe once a year, although I keep threatening to relocate somewhere else.
    van :)
    I have an 07 LTD, 21000 miles...no trips to dealer yet for any work other then lock programming...milaege consistently 25-27...90% hwy...cruise usually set to 75 to 80...occasional bursts to over 100...difference may be smooth acceleration to speed and judicial use of brakes..reading traffic and coming off throttle instead of constant braking does wonders for fuel economy...in other words, smooth, smooth, smooth. Take it from a professional driver who does over 100k per year.