Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have you tried resetting the average before starting the highway trip?
  • Options
    seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    I did a few times.
  • Options
    pegeseuspegeseus Member Posts: 6
    Unfortunately no, it hasn't. I've filled up and calculated a few more tanks and still haven't seen an average tank mpg over 21. The last tank I just filled up, I decided to try turning off the Active Eco button for the entire tank. Interestingly, there seemed to be absolutely no difference. I was getting the same mpg for the tank as I had been getting with Active Eco on. Still not sure what's going on. I filled up yesterday morning and then did a 114 mile all-highway roadtrip. Seemed to be struggling to keep it in the 29 mpg range. Of course that's still 17% lower than the epa average (22/35).

Now, I do still have 3500 miles on the car. I do see a lot of people talking about the break in period... Maybe it'll go up? It just seems pretty ridiculous to me though that I can drive the equivalent of an entire roadtrip across the country and the car would still not be "broken in". Not sure what to think.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    So you reset the mpg meter before a highway trip and you got 12 mpg average for the trip? Unless it was a very unusual highway trip, e.g. lots of stops or in heavy traffic or 100+ mph, better take the car to the dealer since there's no way a Sonata should average only 12 mpg on the highway.

One way you can test it is to find a stretch of open highway, one that will let you cruise at the speed limit without stopping, preferably pretty flat, reset the mpg meter, set the cruise control at the speed limit and measure the average mpg for several miles. If it's not at least in the low 30s, I'd say something is wrong with the car. This assumes tire pressure is set to specs, and no strong headwind.
  • Options
    seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    You can reset the numbers anytime you want if you hold it for 2 or 3 seconds. I did it for city where i am getting around 12 and did the same for highway only driving and i get around 18 on average. Well below what i should be getting.

I was just wondering if anyone has the same issues with a brand new 2012. To date i do not have 400 miles yet.
  • Options
    Did you try a test anything like I described? If so, what was the result?
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    We recently had a vacation trip to northern Minnesota using a rented 2011 Sonata with 17,000 miles to get from Minneapolis to the lake and back. We also put a hundred miles or so on the car while up north. Admittedly, Minnesota drivers are not the fastest drivers in the country, but that suited my desire to see what the car could do, mileage wise.

Using fuel saving techniques, but not holding up traffic, we got an average of 38.7 mpg on the monitor. I calculated 36.9 for the same period. This is mostly rural and highway driving.

Do the test Backy suggests, get setup on a level highway with no wind and set the cruise control for 60mph. Then reset the mileage. I'm guessing a properly running Sonata ought to indicate 40mpg or so on the average mpg screen assuming the speed stays at 60 and there are no hills or wind. If your result is anything near what you've been reporting, I'd say you have a problem that isn't related to your driving technique.

Please let us know your results.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I just got back from a trip to Jax, FL from Atlanta and wanted to report my mileage. Going down, the mileage (according to the trip computer) was 35.4 mpg at ~ 75mph with the AC on. Coming back up, I got 34.2 mpg with the AC on, but was driving a bit faster ~77, and going up in elevation (from sea level). I can say I am very pleased with the mileage on. I don't use the eco mode as I have yet to notice any difference. I am sure the difference would be more around the city, than on the higheay. After all, 6th gear on the highway, is 6th gear on the highway regardless of mode.
  • Options
    sonatajimjamsonatajimjam Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my new 2011 Sonata with the 2.4 (SE Trim) four days ago. It was a demo vehicle and had 5400 miles on it so I figure it has already been "broken in" a bit. I've driven it back and forth to and from work all week in the suburbs of Chicago (about 15 stop lights in my 12-mile one-way commute) and I've seen a consistent 29.1 MPG on this trek. I've taken it on the hwy for a total of about 20 miles so far this week and, while cruising @ 72 mph the instant mpg hovered around 40 the entire way. All said, I'm very satisfied with the MPG so far, especially coming from a 13mpg f-150 crew cab! I'm actually saving more in gas money each month with the new car than I'm paying in car payments. Looking to replace the '05 Trailblazer (16mpg) with the Tucson next year - I'm definitely a Hyundai convert.
  • Options
    danf66danf66 Member Posts: 1
    I just finished a round trip drive between St. Louis and Chicago. Pure highway driving with cruise parked on 65 mph yielded 38.9 mpg. Admittedly, I chose not to figure milage while driving in the city because I purposely wanted pure highway numbers. The total miles driven for this calculation was about 500, so this was a pretty good average, not some statistical anomaly.
  • Options
    cpenycpeny Member Posts: 18
    The 4 cyl sonata does fair if cruise is 70 or less and it is all highway, however that is not how they are required by federal law to check the mpg of each vehicle. If driven the same as they should be during testing, I do not believe they are meeting the information listed on the window sticker. Driving with cruise on will not be ideal for most driving conditions. The sonata is geared well for highway travel at or under 70. However in the US, we have a lot of highways that are 75 and 80 mph and the Sonata falls off its mark really fast past 70 mph. The Sonata often returns fuel mileage under the city rating when you mix in 10 percent of city driving with 90 percent highway.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited August 2011
    " in the US, we have a lot of highways that are 75 and 80 mph and the Sonata falls off its mark really fast past 70 mph."

cpeny, this is true of any car not just the Sonata.

I do a lot of highway driving with a 2006 VW Jetta turbo diesel, a car famous for getting great mpg's and I consitently lose 5 mpg when I increase the speed from 70 to 75, then 75 to 80 mph kills it again.
    I also drive a Nissan Versa that has NEVER gotten the mpg's on the window sticker. That thing acts like it has a hole in the gas tank, and has from day one.

The car's mpg's can't overcome the factors of increased rpm, and the extra wind resistence, the engine is running out of it's comfort range and sucks fuel like a gravel truck at 75 to 80 mph.

Still, on the higway, the new Sonata has a very low 'drag coefficient', as good as the Prius, without the frumpy look.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    The sweet spot for this car seems to be right around 73 mph. At this speed with the cruise and AC on, I get 35.4 mpg. At first I thought the sweet spot was 76 mph, but I noted with my GPS that the true speed is 3mph lower than the speedometer, probably due to the 18' lower profile tires on my 2012 SE. The diameter of the 17" tires is actually about a half inch more which tells me that they don't calibrate the speedometer for the optional tire size.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The Sonata often returns fuel mileage under the city rating when you mix in 10 percent of city driving with 90 percent highway.

Often for you, or was this a generalization?

I just had a 2012 Sonata for a week in Irving, TX, during a spell of 110 degree days. Of course, AC was on Max the whole time. Also I didn't baby the car at all. Still over a week of almost all short-distance city driving, I got 20 mpg. I noticed during my mostly highway run (@ 70 mph) from the airport to my work location, about 5 miles, the mpg meter was at 34 mpg when I arrived.

Based on that and on another week's rental of a 2012 in Austin, TX that was mostly in-town or on congested highways and returned 28 mpg, I am impressed by the FE of this largish and powerful car. For comparison, I rented a Sentra the week before I rented the Sonata in Irving, and the weather was the same. And I got 20 mpg on the Sentra in the same conditions as when I drove the Sonata. But I normally get low-30s in town on my Sentra, which is a 2010 but otherwise the same exact car as the rental was. Both cars have similar EPA ratings.

"YMMV" is definitely a true statement when it comes to fuel economy.
  • Options
    cnautacnauta Member Posts: 1
    On a trip in the beginning of June from Toronto Ontario to Schaumburg, IL we filled up full in Toronto and made it to Schaumburg without stopping for fuel. The trip gauge showed 891 km. and I still had 2 ticks left on my fuel gauge on the car (it has 12 ticks when full). I filled up in Schaumburg, IL. The trip gauge also showed 5.7l/100km., which is about 41.2 miles per gallon US and about 49.5 miles per gallon Imperial (Canadian). I was pretty impressed. Now mind you I didn't go over 65 mph. I pretty much had the cruise control set on about 63 mph. the entire way on the highways. There was a bit of a wind behind us as well, so this will make a bit of a difference. Still to use 51 litres of fuel to travel almost 900km. in this type of car is amazing. Well done Hyundai !!
  • Options
    12son12son Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I am only getting an average of 22 MPG on 1st 2 tanks, 3rd tank turned off eco and travels a bit more on the highway with cruise control and only got 24. I took my actual mileage / by gallons to compare with what the car averages where stating?
    One average in car says 22 mpg the other says 33 mpg, total average 27.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    In a world where all we care about now is what kind a mileage our car can get, what happened to the shear enjoyment of the ride? Isn't it nice to just get in our brand new car and just drive, enjoying the scenery and the radio feeling good about the purchase decision we just made. Or is it just me that feels his way?
  • Options
    That's for the "Hyundai Sonata Shear Enjoyment of the Ride" discussion. ;)
  • Options
    A great sentiment- however I could enjoy my ride in many different cars. I chose one with supposedly good gas mileage. When we fork over twenty thousand dollars for a product, we expect that product to function as described. If not, we would have purchased something else.
  • Options
    bpe383bpe383 Member Posts: 6
    Ride is good, but I wouldn't brag about it, and the road noise heard inside is worse than my 20 year old Camry. I had a great car before this, and sold it to get something with better MPG as I started traveling 150 miles per day for school. I'm getting 30 MPG at best real world. Computer is off by 3.5 MPG. in the cars favor of course. Which means I have to show 38.5 to really be getting the 35MPG possible. I understand it's a estimate, but I drive 90% highway, and I've had to put mobile 1 syn oil, and pump my tires up to 40+ psi to get the 30 MPG. Before the oil, and tire pressure I was only getting 26-27 MPG. No better, if not worse than the car I gave up to get this one. I will not even get into the list of problems this car has. It's an electrical nightmare. I feel like I own a German, or English car with the electric problems. It's under warranty true, but I don't have time to run it to the dealer ever other day likes it a part time job. The problems are intermittent which makes it worse. More trips to dealer only to hope it acts up for them.
  • Options
    mathersonmatherson Member Posts: 41
    pegeseus, sorry to hear you aren't geting what you thought you were getting.
    4,500 miles 3 months into my ownership and I have averaged 29 MPG. Mostly local suburban driving, though I am easy on the car. My one highway trip (140 miles round trip got me about 37 MPG.
    No real problems thus far into ownership. I have a balky driver side view mirror.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post Matherson. A 50 mile round trip on open highway this weekend managed to squeeze out a 30mpg average. My suburban/highway average mileage continues to hover around 21 and that's being very easy on the gas and conscious to coast wherever possible.
  • Options
    jjohns1jjohns1 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '11 Turbo and while mileage has gone up with break-in, I get some pretty abysmal around town mileage. It would be at most 20mpg/tank if I never took it on the highway. I realize it's a turbo and that I still want the engine power, but it's not really what I was lead to expect...
  • Options
    aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    That sounds about right for a 2.0T Sonata. The only time you'll achieve the EPA number is if you drive conservatively. If you like to take advantage of the turbo's power at all, you will most certainly get 20 MPG in the city. You could even get worse mileage than that, depending on how often you dive into the throttle.

For comparison, my 2006 V6 has been getting 15 to 16 MPG in the city with fairly spirited driving. The EPA city number for my car is 17 or 18 (too lazy to look it up right now).
  • Options
    mfast1mfast1 Member Posts: 9
    If you are interested in REAL world MPG you can check out the website fuelly.com
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/sonata

For me so far 26.2 avg with 80% hwy 20% city avg.
  • Options
    tturbotturbo Member Posts: 16
    You're comparing a Honda Fit to the new Hyundai Sonata?

The Fit is a small and lighweight vehicle that drives with no sense of urgency.
    High MPG is expected there.

Your Sonata is larger than a mid-size sedan and has much more weight to carry, all the while actually giving some performance in acceleration.

There is no logic to comparing a Fit to a Sonata.

If you are getting 26mpg combined average for your driving, then that's not bad for such a large car as the Sonata is.
    There are people claiming to get 35mpg, but that's only on the highway, not in city nor mixed driving. 35mpg in mixed driving simply won't happen in a car this big.

Also, you're only driving about 10 miles to work. That's barely enough time to get the engine and catalytic converter up to optimal temperature before the engine goes into full lean mode.
    Given that you drive such a short distance that often, I recommend that you check your oil level often and consider a shorter drain interval, one that is more in line with "severe" conditions.
  • Options
    tturbotturbo Member Posts: 16
    A very true comment and observation.

I too have experienced in my car forum, people who make MPG claims that are way beyond what most can achieve, and yet, these cars are the SAME cars.
    In my 135i BMW with MT I average about 21-22mpg. That's overall average for all my driving which includes suburban and highway. I don't find it useful to try and break down city vs highway because where does your "city" stop and "highway" begin? Overall avg. MPG with a city to highway ratio is much better.

Anyway, on my car forum most manual trans drivers are getting between 18-23mpg. That's a good average range that accounts for varying terrain, city/highway ratio, lead-foot, etc... But, then we have those who come on and claim they get 35MPG highway or 28mpg combined.
    Really? This is the same car, same engine, same transmission. Yet, somehow someone is getting 8mpg better than the average owner of the same car.
    18-23 reported, so I figure about 20.5mpg average, yet someone claims 28mpg, amazing mpg to be sure.

As you said, it's easy to make a claim. :)
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Just rented the Sonata for a week (well almost a week - had to exchange for a Camry after a mechanical problem)

I was very disappointed in the mpg. Only 20.2 on the trip computer (which is usually optimistic) for suburban type driving. This is about the same as my Sienna in the same conditions and my Accord stick shift would be mid 30's under those conditions.
  • Options
    hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I have a limited 2.4L. I just completed a trip from Ceneral WI. to Orlando FL
    (2677miles RT) using gas purchased divided by mileage I avraged 31.7 MPG.
    I think that is great mileage considering heavy south winds and some mountain driving + driving 7-8 miles over speed limits
    This is a great car for the money.
    P.S.
    Speedometer is off by+2 miles (shows 70 actual 68) and trip comp. shows
    33.7 actual 31.7
  • Options
    jchem1jchem1 Member Posts: 2
    So just joined the forum and found this discussion interesting and pretty much, right on the mark. Have a 2012 Sonata 2.4L purchased early October and was somewhat disappointed in the mileage, but what I have read here makes me feel a bit more at ease. Have been averaging ~26.5-28 when doing 80/20 highway/city but that is at an average speed of ~75 mph. Latest tank is all city and I am at 21.5, trying to remain "calm" on the road although my standard is, as one member put it, "spirited" (:-). Made a 5000 mile RT from Maryland to New Jersey and got about 31.5, all about 75 mpg. I am certain that if I kept the cruise at 65 as others have done, 35 mpg would be no problem. Thus, this car seems to be par-for-the-course, at least to members of this forum

Has anyone experimented with the "manual" transmission on the 6-speed automatic? I like the option of being able to do my own downshifting on a hill, but have not noticed any mileage differences
  • Options
    jchem1jchem1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry--not 5000, but 500----would need to be going in lots of circles to hit 5000 miles from MD to NJ......
  • Options
    crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited December 2011
    Just bought a 2012 GLS with 205 65x16" tires and noted the GLS has final drive ratio of 3.25 while SE/Ltd have 2.89 with 18" low profile tires. No clue yet about RPMS at highway speed. hoping for 2000 RPM at 70 to get the 35 EPA number. anyone out here have any experience with RPM at highway speed?
  • Options
    We just returned from first highway trip with 2012 2.4L GLS. Mileage in town has been 22-24 but highway was outstanding. 38 at 67 MPH per computer and at 70-75MPH drops down to 35-36. Car not even broken in.
    have not done manual calc but computer seems close.
    Hills have noticeable negative effect but speed is the biggest variable. At 65 MPH the mileage is phenomenal IMO. Shifting on hills is very smooth - no searching as on some 6-speed automatics. 2.4L and 6-speed very well mated for the car's weight. We also got the GLS with PEP ($750) to get the alloy wheels but avoid the low profile tires. The 205 65 R16" tires at 33 # of air made for a firm ride with some bouncing on bumps but overall a very well mannered car and the MPG was right on the EPA estimate at 70MPH
    Great car and even greater value in one family opinion.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    " No clue yet about RPMS at highway speed. hoping for 2000 RPM at 70 to get the 35 EPA number. anyone out here have any experience with RPM at highway speed?"

I was unaware that the Hyundai GLS didn't have a tach. If that is indeed the case, I would suggest you get a ScanGAuge 2 and plug it into to the OBD2 port under the dash just in front of your knee.

Everything you ever wondered about your cars performance can be set to display. MPG's, Tach, battery charge, gallons used, on and on...it checks the fuel used 2wice every second, and the tach read out is dead on.
  • Options
    The GLS does have a tach.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    longo: what I meant was we had not driven the car on the highway yet. Just got back and posted message on MPG. Outstanding on the highway with 2000 RPM (it does have a tach) and 67 MPH it got just under 38 on 100 mile trip. 10% speed increase drops it to 35 that makes sense. Great car so far!
  • Options
    cpenycpeny Member Posts: 18
    I've had my hyundai sonata for a year now. it gets the expected gas mileage if you drive at 2000 rpm on the highway. however as hard as I try I cannot get the expected gas mileage in the city. my car has 15,000 miles on it now and I've taken several trips. I do my best to keep the rp m's under 2000 rpm without causing an accident but I cannot get the 25 miles per gallon in the city. if anyone has any ideas I would really like to know because this is lori my overall gas mileage. so far I like the car in the way it drives but with gas prices going up, I may have to switch to a vehicle like the toyota prius. has anyone found the secret to the city gas mileage I would really like to hear it.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    We have anew 2012 Sonata GLS and are very impressed with the mileage so far. 22-26 in city with the extremes being all stop and go (22) up to 26 with streches including steady speed (26). My conclusion is that getting the car going is the worst MPG situation so if that is maximized then the MPG is poor. The highway at 67 MPH =2000RPM's and 37.6 on last 100 mile trip. That is outstanding in my world. At 75 it drops to 35-36 best.
    The hybrids get great city MPG with the battery and the Elantra is rated at 29 city. we wanted a more roomy vehicle than a Prius or Elantra and drive a mix of city/highway so it works for us.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Just drive the car normally and don't pay attention to RPM's and you will get better MPG. RPM's have very little to do with fuel economy.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Curious comment. I try to purchase a car model that has a lower final drive ratio that results in fewer RPM's at highway speed. The result is lower fuel use in my experience. Sport models use a higher final drive ratio (read Corvettes, Porsche, HP Mustangs and others), to get fastest speeds in shortest times at th expense of fuel mileage. The newer 6 and 8 speed transmissions allow for higher final drive without sacrificing overall performance.
  • Options
    hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I think you will find that the trip computer is off by 2mpg (shows 38 -2mpg= 36) Several other Sonata blogs confirm this. I also found that the speedometer is off by 2 miles (verified by using my GPS)speedometer shows 65 actual 63

The only true way to verify mpg is by dividing gallons purchased into mileage
  • Options
    I agree with your last comment. I also did the manual calc and came up 2 MPG less. Strange that Hyundai would elect a program that misstated the actual results. Real test of the car will be the long term durability and how well Hyundai stands behind their stated warranty without a lot of nitpicking and fine print rulings. The internet and forums like this will be a true sounding board for both issues.
  • Options
    dgollydgolly Member Posts: 6
    I am disgusted with MPG performance. I thought I would average out around 30 mpg. Check this out and (anyone) pls comment.

I've had the 2011 since May 2011. Over 14,456 miles used 530 gallons, average 27.5 mpg. While not great what concerns me is the variability. I've gotten as much as 34, as little as 19.82. Pure highway I can get it up there. City esp. up hills the mpg drops like a rock. But get this: Hyundai did a recal service on June 29 involving the transmission or some such thing, car popping out of drive while you're driving or something. Before the service I was averaging 29.66. After 26.93. That's my real concern, that Hyundai service did something.

Anyone know anything?
  • Options
    dgollydgolly Member Posts: 6
    (after thought to enable email notice)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    We have had the same experience. highway is EPA MPG or even better. The 24 city EPA is hard to mimic with true city stop and go. Add in some freeway and it jumps right back up. I think the EPA test is heavy on California freeway use and light on chicago suburbs stop and go. Most cars struggle to get 20 MPG with true stop and go due to idling time and start from dead stop that kills MPG average. we mayaverage 28 but it requires lots of higway driving which the car prefers. We have no problem with the MPG vs. the EPA estimate. Beautiful car with all the bells and whistles,
    30 MPG city or better in town requirse a low mass roller skate or a car with a $6000 battery that needs replaing ultimately.
    Someday we may enjoy taking ethanol out of the mix to restore the BTU energy of pure gasoline and the resulting 10%+ increase in feul efficiency.
    Ethanol subsidy to farmers and producers allows us to use more gas which
    helps increase the cost of fuel, gas, energy and federal governemnet debt but we prefer the old efficiency of pure carbon fuel - NOT corn!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Ethanol has about 60% of the energy of gasoline so if the fuel is 10 % ethanol you lose 40% of 10% or about a 4% hit on fuel economy.

Still significant though.
  • Options
    larrys1352larrys1352 Member Posts: 11
    I also am having a problem with my 2012 Sonata Limited gas mileage. I'm getting 19 mpg compared to the 24 mpg on the sticker. That's 20% less. My highway mileage is 30 mpg compared to the 34 mpg on the sticker.
    I also love my Sonata but I am so very disappointed with the gas mileage. Perhaps when the car breaks in further the gas mileage will improve, but I am not counting on that to happen.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Arrrrgh! I almost wish the EPA would not "advertise" fuel economy listings as posted on all vehicles. Invariably owners, such as yourself believe these numbers to be guaranteed no matter the weather..driving style...traffic conditions...mechanical condition of the vehicle...summer or winter..type of fuel blends etc, etc etc.. I am weary of defending the vehicle as being "to blame" . Once and for all, these numbers are derived in a controlled set of tests performed by the EPA and probably, while able to be met or even exceeded by a certain number of drivers are basically in optimal circumstances. Everything conspires to produce lower actual numbers for most. In short, enjoy the drive and rejoice a car as large,comfortable and quick as the Sonata is can still get economy numbers that were reserved for cars in much smaller size/performance classes not too many years ago. Again, city driving is comprised of stop, then go (slowly) then stop again and idle over and over during which YOU get ZERO (00.00) mpg. Please figure it out before you and others complain about "poor" city mileage it really isn't too hard!!
  • Options
    Could not agree more with your comments. EPA "ESTIMATE" not guarantee. The new model Sonata offers all the creature comforts, size, safety, GREAT warranty, extreme value for the price paid and if all that is not enough, the Hyundai Assurance plan that was offered up till 1/3/2012 to guarantee trade in value if you maintain the vehicle properly. Other than holding your hand in the dark, I don't know what else they could offer.
  • Options
    larrys1352larrys1352 Member Posts: 11
    I have no interest in going back and forth on this mileage issue but suffice it to say I live in San Diego where we have the best weather in the world, I do not have a lead foot and try very hard to maximize my gas mileage. I get 19 mpg in the city (20% less than the sticker) and 30 mpg highway (10% less than the sticker).
    Say what you want, but I think Hyundai knows the mpg's are exaggerated.