Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    I am getting 27 mpg driving at 45-60 mph most of the time...no city driving (stop and go) and no freeway driving so far.(Central Florida weather... Colder climates usually get less mpg)
    I have about 3,000 miles on the 2006 Sonata (I4).
  • hsudoghsudog Member Posts: 29
    About 1800 miles on the car now, mix of city/highway driving commuting during Houston rush hours, about 70 miles/day total. Avg speed is 30 MPH. Average mileage is 25 MPG for all tanks so far (on 4th tank).

The car came with a spoiler. I didn't really want it, but the dealer threw it in for free. Does anyone know if a rear spoiler cuts the gas mileage? :confuse:
  • blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    The car came with a spoiler. I didn't really want it, but the dealer threw it in for free. Does anyone know if a rear spoiler cuts the gas mileage?
    At an avg speed of 30MPH I seriously doubt it :) Those small spoilers (just a trunk-lid lip really) don't have any significant effect on fuel consumption.
  • ludovicludovic Member Posts: 7
    Average 30mph does NOT mean the car runs at 30mph. This includes the time when waiting in front of the signal. I think he might run his car mostly at around 50mph. If wind is strong, that spoiler does make a difference at that speed.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    I'm getting 25+ combination driving and 30+ highway with 3000 miles on my GLS 4cyl, mileage really increased in last 500 or so miles as it is breaking in, even with the colder weather. Could do better if not for excessive speed car seems to be comfortable at. This is my only complaint with this car without using cruise control car tends to get away from me. Sometimes to 80 or better. Anyone else having this problem. After driving trucks and minivan for so long maybe I'm not used to a quite car anymore.
    Yes, you are right. In Houston, avg 30MPH means driving about 70MPH about 1/2 of the time, and then lurching and/or inching along at 5-20 MPH the rest! :mad:

Not sure if this is good mileage or not. My previous commuting car was a Toyota Highlander which was able to achieve the EPA-rated Highway gas mileage of 23 MPG. Naively, I assume that I could get the EPA highway mileage with the Sonata - but not even close. Appears that Hyundai tunes its vehicles for optimal EPA-test performance, but average real-world commuting performance.
    Does anybody know how the computed MPG is calculated in the LX and V6? and how accurate it is?
  • johnm1johnm1 Member Posts: 6
    Had just traded 20003 Elantra first 6000 mi. city less than 20 mpg...Complained but was told normal... Demanded a computer reflash also trans reflash. Improved by over hair over 15% Highway now 32 33mpg
  • silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    Could you supply further details on car and specifics of revised programming of car and trans computer.
  • smokey4smokey4 Member Posts: 9
    Took a trip into West Virginia from Indiana this past weekend, going & coming back, trip computer averaged 28 MPG. That was with cruise on @ 65 & 70. Sonata has 5000 miles on it, we love the car.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Did that also include any local driving you did in W. VA? I.E. was it for the whole trip, or just the highway miles on the trip? Pretty darn good, even if it's just the highway miles.
  • smokey4smokey4 Member Posts: 9
    Highway miles only. Filled up before leaving Indiana & W.Va., reset trip computer both times. I've considered installing one of those air intake "Tornadoes", everyone at work claims they get 50-70 miles more per tank of gas with one?
  • nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    Have 2003 Sonata, 4-cylinder, automatic, tire pressure
    at 35 pounds, change oil and filter every 2500 miles.

Bought the car new.

No problems thus far, car has 34,000, but highway mileage
    at 60-65 mph is never better than 28 to 28.7 (the 28.7 is
    rare) and need to drive conservatively to achieve that.
    Drive 70 mph and it goes down to 27 mpg.

Combined city roads/country highways (mostly 45 to 55 mph
    with a few traffic lights and stops) comes to 18 to 22 miles per gallon, often just 19.

This mileage has been pretty much the same since day one.

Someone wrote about "reflash" to engine and transmission
    computers. Is that likely to help? Any other suggestions?

When I drive my 1993 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder, automatic
    with 284,000 miles, I get 33 to 34 mpg highway at 70-75 and
    24 to 26 on the country/city trips. Engines are about
    the same.

Again, zero problems with the Hyundai thus far except
    for the constantly same and disappointing gas mileage.

We take excellent car of all our cars, as evidenced by the
    Honda Accord.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    FYI
    A 2006 Sonata LX V6 with only 600 miles. Having only filled twice, and all around rural (town) traffic, no highway or sustained runs yet. 1st fill was 19.0 the 2d fill was 18.9. I use the a/c about 90% of the time. (Florida) My computer and my personal notes from mile 9 (purchase miles) and with an initial fill-up the day after delivery, for an accurate reference point of beginning, were both used to see the differences (if any). These figures are the average of the computer/notes combined. The difference was negligible. I am looking forward to better mileages as the miles traveled increases. :)
    To see a significant mileage improvement, don't use the Automatic A/C Control System (p:1-106); but use instead the Manual Control (p:1-108)- Put A/C on L(ow) not a given temperature.
    Avg MPG:25 Highway:30-31.

Better yet, don't use A/C if you don't have to.

With the Automatic Control you can't expect more than 20-22.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that for sure. Every little bit of extra mileage helps. :)
  • sonlxsonlx Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used any sort of gas treatment product and if it has improved gas mileage at all. I am considering using some STP products but I wanted to get some feedback first. My concern is damage, or even the engine becoming dependent on the product in order to maintain good performance.
    Thank You :D:D
    It will become addicted to STP and you will have to pay for it!
  • sonlxsonlx Member Posts: 21
    Thank You
    Car now has 2700 miles on it. I've found that highway mileage is highest at about 45-60 MPH, with 33 MPG easily achieved. At 70 MPH, mileage falls to about 29 MPG.

What kills the Sonata's mileage is stop-and-go traffic either because of traffic jams or suburban stop signs. I've found that getting out of my subdivision with about 12 stops over 6 miles, I get about 17 MPG. Seems as if the Sonata is tuned for very good highway mileage, but crummy city driving mileage.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    V6 mileage:

First check at ~700 miles, 29.1 MPG averaging 39 MPH. Trip meter coincidentally showed exactly 29.1 MPG.

2nd check at ~1000 miles showed 27.x MPG, average 37 MPH. Trip meter was ~1MPG off.

I think hsudog is correct that the V6 hates stop and go driving. Maybe because it's hard to not accelerate hard for the pure fun of it. :blush:
    ...I think hsudog is correct that the V6 hates stop and go driving. Maybe because it's hard to not accelerate hard for the pure fun of it.

That is the whole idea of gas guzzling!
    Moving a heavy object from stand still requires more energy than keeping it moving (requires far less energy ... less momentum); and of course accelerating hard requires even more energy to move it quicker/ faster! (law of physics!)
    That is the whole idea of gas guzzling!

I know. That's why I used the "embarrassed" emoticar.
  • chacagochacago Member Posts: 4
    Moderate suburb, moderate hiway, some idiling (wife doing appaisal work) 27.6 700 miles on car

Moderate suburb, moderate hiwayKeep speeds <60 MPH 29.2 700 miles on car

All highway averaging about 65 mph 30 MPG 1400 miles on car

All Highway Averaging 75 mph 28.6 2000 miles on car

Nice car, good price 15795 + tax and title.
  • johnm1johnm1 Member Posts: 6
    Go to dealer and say Hyundai Tech told to reprogram both egine and trans computer... Free of charge.
  • nelson55nelson55 Member Posts: 1
    I made a 430 mile trip on the interstate recently in my GLS V6. I traveled 70-75 mph and averaged 30.9 mpg.

On a highway traveling 55 to 60 mph I have averaged as high as 34 mph.

Also, I have found out that Chevron regular gas gets better gas mileage in my car than Shell regular gas. On my trip to my destination I used Chevron, and the return trip I used Shell. The Shell did get as many mpg. Have not tried BP gas yet.

BTW, around town stop and go traffic, I only get 17-18 mpg like most people. Otherwise, I am satisifed with the highway/interstate gas mileage and the car.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I look askance at claims that one brand of gasoline yields superior fuel economy over another brand*. There are just too many variables involved in making a blanket statement like that. One thing too many people fail to take into consideration in assessing one gasoline brand's superiority over another's is whether the initial leg of a trip is net uphill or downhill. The return leg over the same route would be skewed higher or lower in fuel economy accordingly. Way back in 1973 Ford briefly ran a TV ad touting the Ford LTD's superior fuel economy by listing that a 351 cu. in. V8 equipped LTD averaged 23 mpg** from Phoenix to Los Angeles. Big deal - the test car was on a downhill run, overall, toward the Pacific ocean from the lower elevations of the Continental Divide. The reverse trip could easily have been 2-3 mpg or more worse. My most recent round trip to Las Vegas from San Bernardino and back in my '03 Sonata GL (2.7L V6) netted 32.07 mpg on one tank of gasoline. This was on ARCO (BP) 87 pump octane, unleaded, 10% ethanol fuel. The cruise control was set to a speedometer indicated 75 mph; the manual air conditioner was on its arctic blizzard setting.

*Not at all surprising when considering that the refiners' dirty little secret is freely exchanging gasoline between themselves to cover regional and particular refinery bottlenecks that crop up. The only real chemistry differences are the type and amount of additives they add at the tank farms prior to distribution to retail stations - and even this is subject to federally mandated minimums.

**Not bad fuel economy for the time what with a 2 1/2 ton car, a carbureted engine without lean-burn technology, and no torque converter lockup on the transmission.
  • tex06tex06 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I looked at the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata at the car show and we were both impressed with the Sonata. I'm planning on replacing my work car this summer, so I have been reviewing the consumers reviews on the Sonata.

I'm trying to determine whether I want the four cylinder or V6. Gas mileage is important, but nit a deal breaker. All of the responses seem to be on the V6, which is encouraging, but for comparison sake, are there any owners of the four cylinder, who could comment on sufficiency of both power and MPG? Thanks!
    I don't own the 4cyl (we bought the GLS V6) but we gave it a good test drive and I must admit, it's got quite a good amount of power & acceleration for a 4 cyl. It's also quite smooth and refined for a 4cyl. I'd have purchased the 4cyl if we didn't end up w/ such a good deal on the V6, plus the V6 is really a blast to drive :)
    Thanks for the reply! Have you been satisfied with your purchase of the GLS V-6? What kind of gas milegae have you experienced?
    tex06, we've been very happy w/ our Sonata, and the V6 is such a smooth and powerful motor, it truly adds to the overall refinement of this vehicle in my opinion. We live in a town of 50,000 in New Mexico, so our city driving isn't spent crawling 10mph in rush hour. We're getting 30 MPG Hwy and 24-25 city. Our Hwy miles are cruising at 80 MPH, so we're quite happy w/ the economy of the V6 :)
    Here are my last 4 fillups. Mileage is calculated, but the trip computer has always been within ~1 MPG. Total mileage is now ~2500. Cruise is usually set at 74mph. We think we could easily get 32 MPG setting the cruise at 55-60 mph.

26.10 mpg 39 mph average 70% highway 30% city
    25.56 mpg 38 mph average 70% highway 30% city
    26.56 mpg 39 mph average 70% highway 30% city
    29.68 mpg 51 mph average 85% highway 15% city
    blnewto, thank you for the information. You've relieved some of my concerns about mileage on the V-6 and now I'm leaning towards that engine! I had an opportunity on a business trip, to rent a GLS with V-6 and loved it! It seemed to me in two days driving experience, to be an amazingly refined car for the money! I've always been a Toyota/Honda guy, but I'm having a hard time reconciling why there is a $4,000 difference in price! How does Hyundai do it?
    I've always been a Toyota/Honda guy, but I'm having a hard time reconciling why there is a $4,000 difference in price! How does Hyundai do it?

I think it's a combo of Honda/Toyota being able to charge a premium for their vehicles based on reliablity and demand. Also I think Hyundai has a very efficient new factory and also is using price to buy market share. I doubt their making alot on each Sonata, but enough to sustain growth and raise it's presence in the US market.
    "I think Hyundai has a very efficient new factory and also is using price to buy market share."

Agree - plus, just maybe, Hyundai's accountants are stupid. If so, Sonata fans should pray that they remain so. ;)
  • bae146bae146 Member Posts: 10
    Well I just filled my new v6 Sonata up for the first time. Averaged 23 mpg. Sounds good for the first tank. Sure beats my aerostar for fuel economy. Thank goodness the van is gone!!!! :)
  • xenon666xenon666 Member Posts: 15
    I've been averaging 23.3 mpg with 5800 miles so far. Not bad considering I'm heavy on the throttle at times and have a mixed drive.
  • cirdancirdan Member Posts: 9
    Bought it Sunday (4/29) and just filled up after ~160 miles. Got 25.3mpg measured, not trip computer, on the first tank. Mostly road miles, but pushing in (within break-in recommendations) to get a feel for the car.
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    I doubt their making alot on each Sonata,

Wall Street Journal: Hyundai Motors Corp revenue fell 28% this last quarter due to revaluation of the Korean currency...does this mean that the low prices on the Hyuindais are a thing of the past?
    In a way Hyundai's caught in a Hobson's choice: raise prices to compensate for revaluation of the Korean won or maintain sales momentum in one of if not their most important export markets? Given Hyundai's (and Korea's in general) take no prisoner attitude about dislodging the Japanese auto cartel's dominance of the American market, guess which way I'm leaning.
    Miles per gallon. Can we try to post only these figures? All of the sidetracks from the figures definitely are not needed, and only detrack from the purpose of this forum. If you want to comment on other things, go to the other forums. :mad: :mad:
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Has anyone else asked for the engine and transmission computer to be reprogrammed? I'm getting great mileage on the highway but terrible (<17mpg) city. I'd say that I do 75% or more of my driving in the city so it's killing me.

If you've done the reprogram, please let us know how it worked for you. Thanks.
    Is this your first trip computer?

If so, they can be a real eye opener. They show you the effects of sitting stalled in traffic, where you get 0 mpg regardless of the car you drive. It's always been that way, but you wasn't aware of it without the computer.

Trip computers are a little flaky in city traffic. Always check true mileage by dividing actual miles by actual gallons.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Yes, it's my first trip computer. I was surprised most by resetting and then driving on the highway for 125 miles at about 32 mpg. Then driving the rest of the tank in the city. Ended up with 23 mpg on just over 310 miles. That means I averaged pretty low for the remaining miles!
  • enricongenricong Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Sonata GL with 10k so far. I drive approx 170mi per week, 85% highway (approx 75mph cruise control). I have closely tracked the mileage (based on the odometer and fillups) and I am only getting approx 25 mpg.
    I'm not sure if I should take it in to the dealer to have them check it out since I am getting approx 8mpg below the sticker number. However, I am driving 75 on the highway.
    That means I averaged pretty low for the remaining miles!

You average exactly zero mpg while idling at stop lights. :D
    An acquaintance just got 36.5mpg on a 519 mile trip with his 06 Sonata GLS V6. His trip was ~70% highway, 30% town driving. The trip computer showed 35.5mpg, so it's acceptably accurate. How did he get such great mileage? First, the car is well broken in, with over 30K miles on the odometer. He used the shiftronic manually, and set the cruise control to ~52mph on the open road. If you're willing to sacrifice a little speed, you can save a lot of gas. ;)
  • david392david392 Member Posts: 1
    Keep in mind that many things affect fuel milage. The fuel it self is a big problem with the additive added for emmisions. Tire pressure can cause low mileage since most people don't check them and would rather complain. Weather conditions play a factor in also. There are many more. Keep in mind what is on the sticker is approx. mileage not actual. That would be impossible to determine for anybody. Takinging it to the dealer will be a waste of your time and theirs.
  • boloti_troyboloti_troy Member Posts: 7
    I had a trip to NYC (350 miles round trip) with 90% highway and 10% NYC driving. That gave me an amazing 35 mpg (vs. 30 mpg EPA estimates). I was driving 60-65 on the highway and had a couple of traffic jams in the city...

In the city driving I get 21-23 mpg (a lot of short 1 to 5 miles trips) which is consistent with 22 mpg EPA city.

Driving around 70-75 mph gave me 29-32 mpg highway...
  • randydawrandydaw Member Posts: 20
    Approaching my 1st 1000 miles on my '06 LX v6, I am averaging 21.2 mpg - about 50% highway.

I've read about the "better mileage as it breaks in" phenomenon, and am certainly hoping to see it. I'm not especially heavy footed, but the best I've gotten on any segment (a 60 mph road trip) is 26.7 mpg. I'm holding it under 60 mph for the most part due to factory recommendations (the 55 mph recommended was getting me too many middle-finger greetings).

My in-town mileage is running about 17 - 17.5 right now.