Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• bojesphobbojesphob Member Posts: 3
    I was playing around with Photoshop, and was able to come up with the way I think the new Silverado will look. Sorry about the hack job, but I think if they look anywhere close to this, I will trade in my 05!! Anyhow, I used the Avalanche picture from the Chevy website to make these.......

• metalphoenix79metalphoenix79 Member Posts: 28
    I think it could look like that but I would guess a bigger grille and a change in the lights. That's my guess from what I think I've seen from the pictures with cameo on them. I still stick with my previous post that it would be a bad idea to unveil a Silverado that looks exactly the same as the Avalanche (and Tahoe/Suburban) 6-8 months later. Doesn't make a whole lotta sense marketing wise.
    A new six-speed automatic transmission will be used with the top-notch V8, while lesser versions will use a four-speed auto. Once production of GM's new six-speed transmission increases, we expect it will be offered across the board.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    I liked my '00 Tundra but since the new one strikes me as so ugly and the wheelbase so overly long for my needs, I'd give the new Silverado a long hard look since I prefer its styling and hopefully it will have a nice new interior and a more refined ride as well. I'd prefer to wait a year but I need a new truck by March '07.
  • drummerdudedrummerdude Member Posts: 3
    A spy photographer caught the 07 Silverado with no cammo as it was being unloaded from a truck to shoot a TV commercial! It is a red crew cab 1500 4X4 model with the Z71 off-road package. It looks like a bloated Colorado to me, but I am sure it will sell very well anyway. Here's the link, since I can't attach the pic I had saved on my computer:
    http://www.speedsportlife.com/2006/06/12/2008-chevy-silverado-uncovered/
    I just wanted to gloat :P and say that I like it.
    Well, this is one of those times that I don't mind being wrong :) Even though I can't say I was so horribly off with my rendering :D

But, I figure if this is what it looks like, and the displacement on demand significantly improves gas milage (I heard it would increase it by more than 25%), I will be in line to buy one!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I am very disappointed. I couldnt wait until the new trucks came out and now it looks like my 00 will hang around a lot longer :) Hopefully for gm this isnt the final production model.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/2kwolfgang/w_silverado_z71_cd_jun06.jpg
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Like a Nissan small pickup. It is old styling, like 2 generation behind F150. If anyone will give up market share to Tundra, it will be GM and Dodge.

This is nowhere near the freshness of GM's SUV version.
    Especially since Ford trucks get such excellent horrid gas mileage.
    yeah, that's one reason why I don't even consider Ford, Dodge, Nissan or Toyota for a truck, the gas mileage sucks on all of them. Not saying my current Silverado is great, but it's definitely the best on the market. If the predictions for the 25% increase in MPG with the displacement on demand engine is to be believed, Chevy will be the most fuel efficient truck hands down, and people are going to flock to it just to save money on gas!

Edited to add: I forgot that even the Honda truck has worse gas mileage than the Chevy does :)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    From what I've read displacement-on-demand only really works on the highway under light loads. For stop-and-go driving, or for pulling loads, it will have little or no effect.

Edmunds reported on their long-term Commander, with the 5.7 with displacement-on-demand, that the gas mileage was disappointing. Frankly I think displacement-on-demand is more bark than bite.

Bob
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    But the Next Tundra Is no beauty queen either.

Going for ultra-generic, wide-mouth bass?

Oh, well. Just get the Avalanche for a good front-end.

DrFill
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    And GM is "pinning" their future on this? Chapter 11 here we come. Absolute digraceful and a totally WIMPISH appearance. And the people at GM call themselves trend setters? More like caveman.
    I will like to see a poll for Sierra vs Tundra styling. At least 70:30 vote for Toyota in this case.

MPG is a good selling point if GM can deliver. HP and Torque will be a wash... Kind of (GM 6.2L vs Toyota 5.7L, about same torque and HP)
  • joe29001joe29001 Member Posts: 48
    I preferred the artist's rendering to the new spy photo. The fender flares are goofy at best. At worst, the overall width is similar to the current model with an even narrower cab and bed (been heading in the wrong direction since 1987).
  • ddf1ddf1 Member Posts: 18
    At first glance it didn't impress me either, I do like how the front end gives the illusion that it is wider, but I think it is one of those trucks that will be loved over time. It probably looks a lot better in person. When I first saw the 97 F-150 design I hated it. But it grew on me and now I think it is a sharp looking truck for a Ford. But the fender flares have got to go. The H3 has those same "goofy" flares. It reminds me of a juiced up Jeep Liberty with shoulder pads! This is a full size truck! It should walk the talk not be more show than go.
    A total botched abortion. And if anyone thinks this is going to sell I would ask to whom? Pee Wee Herman? The bubble cab look slike a wimp mobile to say the least. Is this a truck or a SUV look-a-like?
  • corwinccorwinc Member Posts: 1
    I love my 04 Silverado. Would not trade it for anything (except maybe the 07). I am excited about the 07. I am hoping that it has Bluetooth and Navigation options. I drive a lot for my job and having those 2 options would really make the Silverado the complete package for me. Has anyone heard if it will have these options?

Additionally, I would like to see some photos or artists renditions of what the 07 will look like. Does anyone know where I can check these out?
    As quoted by edmunds.com..."Higher-grade materials and additional high-tech options like navigation systems should make both the Silverado and the Sierra more stylish and comfortable inside."

Below is a link to some pics and a small description.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=115770
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I love the look of the new 2007 Silverado. I am looking for a new Fullsize truck. I like the 2007 Tundra and 2007 Silverado they are both great trucks. Which one should I buy. I am deciding on buying them next year in the summer.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Which one should I buy

Nobody here knows enough about either vehicle at this point to offer any recommendations, as only a few details have been released.

Bob
  • johnbplus9johnbplus9 Member Posts: 1
    For the folks that don't like the look of this truck, I'm trying, but am having a hard time seeing it through your eyes. Let's face it - a truck should be something for a man to drive, not an adolescent freakfest (I for one would not be caught dead in the Hummer H2 or previous Avalanche). For me this truck has a good solid appearance - the chrome and mild flares add some mild retro style without going overboard.

I have an '03 F150 Supercrew now. This Silverado is the first of the new pickup generation - F150, Titan, and '07 Tundra included, that I would consider trading for.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    I feel almost the same way you do. I have seen more rabid complaints regarding the styling of these trucks than for any other vehicle I can remember. I think that, if the new trucks have features, capabilities, and pricing that are competitive with other full-size trucks, they will have no problem selling them, even if the styling doesn't please everyone.
    I have to say, I don't hate it. In fact, with the exception of the fender flares I like it. Also the flares may look/seem softer with a color other than red. Personally, I'd like to see black and a gun metal grey. From what I’ve heard the new Silverado with come with a six speed transmission :) and a 5.3L 320hp engine. You throw in better fit and finish plus an attractive interior, I don’t think I’ll be the only one sold on this new Silverado. Also I would check out http://www.izoom.com/2007silverado.spied.html for another picture (not sure if this has been posted). And, from someone who has driven the new Silverado look below.

"With Silverado, I expected great and I got it," said Jim Sanfillippo, executive vice president and senior industry analyst at AMCI Inc. in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., who has driven the truck.

He expects the Silverado will provide a substantial boost to GM's recovery.

"This [full-size truck] program that GM launched will be historic when people look back at it in a few years," he said. "They were under siege, under duress, and they came through."

The Silverado is not likely to be priced much higher than the current truck, which ranges from $15,840 to $35,160, industry observers say.
    "With Silverado, I expected great and I got it," said Jim Sanfillippo, executive vice president and senior industry analyst at AMCI Inc. in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., who has driven the truck.

"This [full-size truck] program that GM launched will be historic when people look back at it in a few years," he said. "They were under siege, under duress, and they came through."

I wish I knew what the &*%$ he's talking about!

:confuse:

DrFill
  • marauder04marauder04 Member Posts: 1
    Does the 2007 Silverado have a new garage door opener? I could not get the current model to work.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The Silverado is not likely to be priced much higher than the current truck, which ranges from $15,840 to $35,160, industry observers say.

Is that for a base model? I was looking at some back in 05 and the crewcabs were going for like 38K which made my stomach sick.
    I think, on the current model, the base price for the highest SLT trim line in crew cab, 4x4 form is $35-ish. Add options and I'm sure you can get it above $40k. The base price for a model with cloth seats and fewer luxury features is lower.
  • bkwallenbkwallen Member Posts: 5
    Dad payed $27,XXX before tax for his, an '05 crew cab Z71.
    Here is a new article on the 2007 Silverado. http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060713/AUTO01/607130364/1148-

Highlights are below.

GM invited The Detroit News for an exclusive first look at the 2007 Silverado, but would not allow specific details of the truck to be printed until after an unveiling to the media early next month at its Milford Proving Grounds.

The photo shows a truck with a wider track than the previous model, flared fenders and a more aerodynamic front end. But dealers who saw the truck for the first time Tuesday said the photo didn't do the truck justice.

"It's just unbelievable," said Bill Estes, a Chevrolet dealer from Indianapolis, Ind., who attended the closed-door meeting, which barred dealers from carrying cell phones for fear of another photo leak. "It's going to give us such an edge over our competitors," he said. "Ford is not even an issue anymore."

The new Silverado, however, won't begin showing up in ads for a few more months. The rest of Chevy's dealers won't even see the truck until September, when they gather in Las Vegas for an annual meeting.
  • nelson10nelson10 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry about your 99' silverado but, I had a 97' sierra and drove until I traded it with 201,000 miles for a 2005 avalanche. I've also had other vehicles, which have given me issues i.e. nissan frontier,(lemon Law)pt cruiser and a ford. There are issues with any brand. I hope you situation improves!
    and on top of that as i like to say, I have a story about your Nissan product. I purchased a new 2001 Frontier back in that year and had nothing but problems with it to the extent to which, I had to return it under the lemon law statue!!! I now own a 2005 Avalanche.
    I just wanted to share my opinion about the redesigned gm trucks. I like the stacked headlamps but, the side pics (side fenders) I've seen do not look all that great. I also saw a pic of the silverado interior and I'm not impressed, luckily I was just on izoom.com and got a glimpse of a gray color silverado, that looks alot better, more truck like! Also,can somebody tell me when these trucks are going to hit the streets????
    From what I've been hearing we're looking at the fourth quarter of this year.
    I've been hearing rumblings about an event on August 2nd concerning the new Silverado. Has anyone else heard this?
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    marauder04, GM uses the "homelink" brand openers. This is actually a 3rd party group, and most likely will continue to be the opener in all GM products. Homelink opens a majority of automatic door openers, but definately not all. I'd say it's worth getting a new opener. They aren't that much, if you can install yourself.
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    Tons of websites now have those spy photos of the 2007 1/2 (?) Silverado. One question: Is it me or does the hood look poorly lined on that red pickup? Maybe it's my monitor :confuse:
    Maybe it's my monitor

No, I think it is GM desinger's monitor. Or maybe he is smoking.
    This fall will tell whether or not all this 900 platform talk has any substance. Toyota is not going away GM.
  • ckirk3ckirk3 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have information on whether or not the new 2007 Silverado regular cab will resemble Ford's regular cab in terms of size?
    Denali exterior and low-end Silverado interior:

http://thehollywoodextra.blogspot.com/2006/07/2007-gmc-sierra.html

Front end on the GMC is very, very square, but the rest of the body has lines comparable to a Yukon.
  • chrismillikenchrismilliken Member Posts: 1
    When I first saw the spy photo of the red truck, I was very skeptical. As a die-hard Chevy trucks fan, I probably would've bought one anyway, but I had doubts. Seeing the pictures of the Denali encouraged me. I truly think the angle and the paint color of the first spy photo didn't do the truck justice. I've always felt Chevys/GMCs looked better in black, white, or grey. The Denali looks amazing as usual, and that is a good sign. I don't think the red truck was a good example of how great this new generation is going to be. I'm now excited to see the trucks in person, as I was before that first photo gave us all a scare.
    First Ting: What's up with the engines?

Why is a 195HP V6 even offered? The mill that runs the Trailblazer should be the base engine. I think it's 270HP?

195HP is so 1990's! :mad:

The lineup should be simplified:

4.2 six with 270HP

5.3 V8 (325HP)

6.2 V8 (380HP)

And my Hot #2: The GMC is better looking! Why?

It's not even close! I like the facelifted look of the current Silverado. This truck takes a noticable step back

The GMC is conservative, but a slight improvement over the current front end. The profile is the same, but with bigger flares. And the tailgate seems very shallow from the rear, as opposed to the F-150, which is gigantic!

I don't see anything here that will keep Toyota from beating down the door in '07. ;)

But I'm not a fan of the Tundra's style. And the interior seems better too.

DrFill
  • kingkudukingkudu Member Posts: 1
    No ! The 2007 is the same as the 2006. I was dealing with the sales manager that does all the ordering for a large dealership here in Wi. He told me the only difference are the rebates and incentives now on the 2006 vs 2007. There will be some change on the 2008 model which is to appear mid year(2007-2008).
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    the September issue of Motor Trend has a "(first look" article on the new Sierra/Silverado. The overall look is cleaner, a bit more squared off(IMO), but aerodynamically improved. MORE interior room. Few carry overs, new frame, suspensions, wider track, new R&P steering...
    5 engines: 4.3L V6; 4.8L,5.3L,6.0L & 6.2L V8's w/the 5.3,6.0 & 6.2 getting the Active fuel management (DOD). The new 6 speed tranny looks like it will only be in the Sierra Denali until the 2008 models year.
    The overall look is cleaner, a bit more squared off(IMO), but aerodynamically improved. I don't know how the new Sierra design can be more aerodynamic with that blunt nose configuration. IMHO it will be LESS aerodynamic one would think. But I'm sure this truck has been through the wind tunnel testing so what do I know? The new trucks pics will be OUT officially Aug. 2. GM stated that the new 6 speed tranny will not be avialable until next year. Something about an inventory lack there of. Is available on the New Denali SUV/Escalade however.
    FYI, there is a 2007 Classic and there is a 2007 redesigned. The 2007 Classic are currently available while the 2007 redesigned will be available in the fourth quarter.
This discussion has been closed.